View Full Version : What part of the demo game do you enjoy the most?

eyrei
Jun 07, 2002, 09:27 AM
I am quite curious about this. It seems that threads regarding the actual mechanics of the demo game receive more attention than those threads dealing with the actual game of CIV3 that we are playing. Not that either is right or wrong (we are all having fun in whatever way works best), but I have been noting this for a long time now.

Obviously, this is not a binding poll.:p

Shaitan
Jun 07, 2002, 10:07 AM
All of the above. Except for turn chats as I can never attend those. And maybe the actual game - that's not as important as the story we're building out of it. So I guess I really mean half of the above - debates and roleplaying.

Godinex
Jun 07, 2002, 10:12 AM
Role playing off course!

crabapple
Jun 07, 2002, 10:12 AM
all above exept turn-chats

eyrei
Jun 07, 2002, 10:34 AM
Personally, I like the actual game and the roleplaying and how they work together. It is a good thing I like the game itself, as my position requires I pay a lot of attention to it.:scan:

disorganizer
Jun 07, 2002, 11:52 AM
i like all of them. shat should i vote? if i only could have multiple choice here! (btw, i read in TFs news about the new forum software this is possible? so we should use it sometime). If 2 i would vote roleplay and debattes. or not? well, the least important for me is the actual play of civ3 though.

disorganizer
Jun 07, 2002, 11:54 AM
and eyrei:
your poll is in the wrong thread. please post future posts in the poll-thread, and maybe ask dom to move this one ;-)

eyrei
Jun 07, 2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by disorganizer
and eyrei:
your poll is in the wrong thread. please post future posts in the poll-thread, and maybe ask dom to move this one ;-)

It isn't really relevant to the game itself, so I would prefer it stay here. It is mainly a vehicle for discussion, anyway.

donsig
Jun 07, 2002, 02:25 PM
I like all the options but voted for the Civ 3 game itself. BUT, there is an option missing that I would have picked and I think it is this missing option that explains why we get so diverted by demo game rules and mechanics.
I like playing Civ 3 with a bunch of people. It (used to) allow me to focus on particular aspecs of what was going on in the Civ 3 game without having to know everything about the game. I have gotten drawn in further than I wanted to be because I felt that we weren't living up to the ideal of the demo game. I felt that policies weren't being set based upon the desires of the citizens. I'm not suggesting that the 'government' was going against the stated wished of the citizens. I'm saying I felt as though citizens weren't being asked about what policy should be but rather a policy was being *sold* to them. I think it is this feeling that drove many away from the demo game and is behind the recent focus on the *rules*.

Cyc
Jun 07, 2002, 06:45 PM
Good points Donsig.
Unfortunately for me, I must vote strongly for each option. Each one has its purpose, place and time. So if I'm going to vote for all four, that would be the same as not voting, right? Oh, well.
And Eyrei, as much as I like this poll (with its discussion) it does go in the poll sub-forum. A discussion would go here. And no, I didn't make that rule.

chiefpaco
Jun 07, 2002, 09:05 PM
Can't vote for one but I see that is not the point here. I continue to have fun playing in leadership roles all the while playing a co-op Civ game. Lately, I've been finding it better to focus on a few goals rather than too much - which can be quite exhausting, as I'm sure some can relate.

The greatest times are the chat for me. When it can move along, it is like listening to my favourite sports team on the radio: generating leaders, completing wonders, wartime moves... all lots of fun.

While I've recently realized that the game is different to everyone, I'm glad Eyrei has posted in here to point that out. Just because some may participate for the game itself, some will prefer talking Constitution and politics all the time and some will be spectators, and yet others will debate strategies, and so on. For whatever anyone gets out of it, that is good; the quality of the game is in the participation of the citizens.

Zur
Jun 09, 2002, 07:40 PM
For me, the actual game. Back to basics. :)