View Full Version : Shaka of the Africans

Huayna Capac357
Oct 20, 2007, 07:53 AM
Have you heard one of the Civ Rev leaders is? Shaka of the Africans. :confused: What about the Zulus, Ethiopians, Malians, Ghanans, Songhai, etc. etc. etc. That is so . Please post replies!!!

Lucky The Fox
Oct 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
Dr. Alban would probably be happy though...

azzaman333
Oct 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
Have you heard one of the Civ Rev leaders is? Shaka of the Africans. :confused: What about the Zulus, Ethiopians, Malians, Ghanans, Songhai, etc. etc. etc. That is so . Please post replies!!!

No stupider than Sitting Bull of the Native Americans in BtS.

Civfan333
Oct 20, 2007, 12:06 PM
Yeah. But at least that was a little more believable. I'[m pretty sure NO ONE has ever owned all of Africa. The Native americans were kind of like the Celts. They never were one united band or civilization or nation. They were always divided. NOT Africa.

bonafide11
Oct 20, 2007, 03:11 PM
Oh no say that isn't so... I don't see why they'd use Ethiopians or Ghanans as the OP suggested, but Zulu would be the acceptable name. This is absolutely absurd. There's Egypt and a generic African civ? What the heck is that?!

bonafide11
Oct 20, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, it's true alright...

Here's the screen shot:

http://www.civfanatics.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1375&c=26

He does say "Shaka Zulu of the Africans" though, which is maybe a little less stupid than just Shaka of the Africans...

GenocideBringer
Oct 20, 2007, 03:45 PM
Sweet! Do we get Elizabeth and Napoleon of the Europeans? How about Catherine and Mao of the Asians? What about Washington and Sitting Bull of the Americans?

This is just...Wow. Revolutions is pulling a Railroads on us.

Lucky The Fox
Oct 20, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yes, stop the press. This is definitely the biggest calamity to befall on the gaming business since the great videogame crash of '84.

Huayna Capac357
Oct 20, 2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the support. I thought people were going to laugh at me. They always do....:(

Luso
Oct 20, 2007, 07:29 PM
Maybe its a bug it will be solved with the next expansion pack or "waste money packs".

dutchking
Oct 20, 2007, 07:30 PM
I think it's quite a pity this African thing. They should've just included more civs, 20 would've been fine. We could have African, Asian, and European civs with a few Native American ones too. Then everyone (except them Polish ;) ) is happy.

Civfan333
Oct 20, 2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah. Shaka of the Africa is pretty stupid. They should change it to Zulu. Especially since they're using Shaka. It's like putting Napoleon of the Europeans or like Genghis Khan of Asia. I think it's pretty dumb.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
@ Dutchking: i agree. They should just add more Civs so everybody is happy.

Abaddon
Oct 21, 2007, 01:33 PM
doumbing down? no, just squishing together me thinks.

dh_epic
Oct 21, 2007, 02:46 PM
I think this is pretty dumb.

Luso
Oct 21, 2007, 05:28 PM
We had already Native Americans,why not Natives from Amazonia?

cybrxkhan
Oct 21, 2007, 05:54 PM
THis is a horrible decision and an insult to a good number of people. I'm surprised there hasn't been more angry and louder threads than this.

In Civ5, let us assume, thereforth, that there will be these 5 civs:

- Western Civ - leader: Julius Caesar, Victoria
UU: Awesome Kick-Non-Western-Butt Gunperson +100% attack versus anyone not Western

- Eastern Civ - leader: Genghis Khan
UU: Nomad - raids and... raids and... yeah, raids.

- Middle Civ - leader: Cleopatra
UU: Terrorist - bombs.

- Native America Civ - leader: Montezuma II
UU: Nature-Worshipper - -100% vs. gun units

- Africa Civ - leader: Shakalakalaka
UU: African Spearman - +50% city attack to represent savageness

Huayna Capac357
Oct 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
THis is a horrible decision and an insult to a good number of people. I'm surprised there hasn't been more angry and louder threads than this.

In Civ5, let us assume, thereforth, that there will be these 5 civs:

- Western Civ - leader: Julius Caesar, Victoria
UU: Awesome Kick-Non-Western-Butt Gunperson +100% attack versus anyone not Western

- Eastern Civ - leader: Genghis Khan
UU: Nomad - raids and... raids and... yeah, raids.

- Middle Civ - leader: Cleopatra
UU: Terrorist - bombs.

- Native America Civ - leader: Montezuma II
UU: Nature-Worshipper - -100% vs. gun units

- Africa Civ - leader: Shakalakalaka
UU: African Spearman - +50% city attack to represent savageness

Yeah. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dh_epic
Oct 22, 2007, 08:20 PM
LOL

nice one, cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan
Oct 22, 2007, 08:38 PM
Actually, we can simplify it even FURTHER.

CivX:

Play as two playable civs!!!
Eight units available total!!!

Western Civ

Leaders: Alexander the Great, Victoria, Stalin, Bush
UU: Infidel-Beating Knight, Awesome-Persian-Destroying-300 Hoplite, Barbarian-Destroying-Gunwielder, Tank
UB: Center of Learning and Culture

Non-Western Civ

Leaders: Genghis Khan, Osama Bin Laden
UU: Raider, Infidel, Savage, Terrorist
UB: Hut

cubsfan6506
Oct 22, 2007, 08:55 PM
We can simplify it even further CIV4

Civfan333
Oct 23, 2007, 12:42 PM
We can simplify it even further CIV4

yeah. I didn't think it was that funny but maybe other people do.Actually, we can simplify it even FURTHER.

CivX:

Play as two playable civs!!!
Eight units available total!!!

Western Civ

Leaders: Alexander the Great, Victoria, Stalin, Bush
UU: Infidel-Beating Knight, Awesome-Persian-Destroying-300 Hoplite, Barbarian-Destroying-Gunwielder, Tank
UB: Center of Learning and Culture

Non-Western Civ

Leaders: Genghis Khan, Osama Bin Laden
UU: Raider, Infidel, Savage, Terrorist
UB: Hut

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cybrxkhan
Oct 23, 2007, 12:43 PM
^you should put that in quotes. ;)

Civfan333
Oct 23, 2007, 12:59 PM
^you should put that in quotes. ;)

Ok I'd forgotten how but now I just remembered
:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

cybrxkhan
Oct 23, 2007, 01:09 PM
i think maybe even a "Non-Western" Civ may be unecessary for CivX... maybe just make them (the non-westerners) barbs. :p

Huayna Capac357
Oct 23, 2007, 01:27 PM
Civ V:

Two Civs:

1. America
Leader: George Bush
UU: Awesome Guy
UB: McDonalds
Unique Ability: Everyone Else Dies.
Favorite Civic: Universal Suffrage

2. The Other Guys
Leader: Osama bin Laden
UU: Terrorist
UB: Radical Madrassa
Unique Ability: Always Lose
Favorite Civic: Islamofascism

MrFelony
Oct 24, 2007, 05:51 AM
actually america would found Mcdonals as a free corporation upon the discovery of the tech. instead of maintenance, mcdonalds would cause :yuck:

Ken the Great
Oct 27, 2007, 04:49 AM
I'd love to have something like "Tarja Halonen of the Europeans" or such, I mean, if Africa's one, I want Europe to be one! :trouble:

:banana:

e350tb
Oct 27, 2007, 11:36 PM
How about 'John Howard of the Asians,' while we're at it.

Elta
Oct 28, 2007, 04:30 PM
Shaka Zulu of thr Bantus maybe? .... wait is Shaka even a Bantu?

Swein Forkbeard
Oct 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
Shaka Zulu of thr Bantus maybe? .... wait is Shaka even a Bantu?

All Zulus are Bantu. I've been wishing for that!

Elta
Oct 29, 2007, 08:22 PM
All Zulus are Bantu. I've been wishing for that!

Yeah the Bantus conquered 3/4ths of "black" Africa in a short amount of time - I think they should get a civilization.

Swein Forkbeard
Nov 01, 2007, 02:43 PM
Honestly, I see no reason for us to continue over this thing about Africa. The thing is that kids generally know about "African" tribes and how they can be really at warfare, but they don't actually know our names.

Seriously, this game is meant to get others to try Civilization. What we think is just what our hardcore fans think, and how many Civfanatics members do you think are be part of the new audience Firaxis is heading after? Almost none.

<nuke>
Nov 01, 2007, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the support. I thought people were going to laugh at me. They always do....:(

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cybrxkhan
Nov 02, 2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah the Bantus conquered 3/4ths of "black" Africa in a short amount of time - I think they should get a civilization.

They were featured in Rise of Nations. And althuogh emcompassing a large area of similar cultures, it is more specific than "Africa" definitely.

Padma
Nov 08, 2007, 08:31 PM
As I posted in another thread, Shaka is now the leader of the ZULU Civ. ;)

cybrxkhan
Nov 08, 2007, 08:39 PM
^can you show us where this was announced? or is this a Firaxian trick :D?

Kao'chai
Nov 09, 2007, 06:11 AM

That's what I'm going to say .

Padma
Nov 09, 2007, 08:23 PM
^can you show us where this was announced? or is this a Firaxian trick :D?

It wasn't "announced". I saw it when I played the game. (See this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=250504). ;))

We asked about it, and they said they agreed with the fuss about it, and changed it, already.

cybrxkhan
Nov 09, 2007, 08:51 PM
And Catherine will be hot again... how young is she in this version (not Boadicea 50 year old?)? :p

and its good they did listen to us about it. i am glad.

Padma
Nov 09, 2007, 08:55 PM
Yes, Catherine is hot! :drool: I would say she looks twenty-something.

GigaNerd
Nov 11, 2007, 04:27 PM
Hmm..... Shaka of the Africans.....

Well, I'm perfectly fine with it (I didn't really expect them to put in the Malinese anyways), but the Egyptians and the Arabians sort of get me confused. They're both part of the African continent too, you know!

Huayna Capac357
Nov 13, 2007, 02:22 PM
Arabia is is Asia, not Africa.

GigaNerd
Nov 13, 2007, 03:09 PM
Arabia is is Asia, not Africa.

Well, they took over Egypt, which is in Africa, and the Ottomans did too! You could consider them Africans!

Civfan333
Nov 13, 2007, 03:18 PM
No, actually you couldn't. They originated from the Arabian peninsula and that's where you consider them from.

The Germans took over the French in WW2 but you wouldn't consider them French, would you?

Huayna Capac357
Nov 13, 2007, 04:03 PM
The Spanish conquered South America, but that doesn't mean that Spain is in South America;)

Yorkshire_14
Nov 14, 2007, 11:08 AM
Pizza pie!... sorry I can't think of anything to say

Huayna Capac357
Nov 14, 2007, 06:46 PM
Mmmmm.... Pizza......

DanQ
Nov 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hmm..... Shaka of the Africans.....

Well, I'm perfectly fine with it (I didn't really expect them to put in the Malinese anyways), but the Egyptians and the Arabians sort of get me confused. They're both part of the African continent too, you know!
You must have missed Padma's answer (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6132719&postcount=35) found earlier in this thread, so here's mine (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6158289&postcount=3).

:)

dh_epic
Nov 19, 2007, 01:05 PM
There IS a close interaction with Arabia and Africa, though. Boundaries between continents are pretty artificial. Before Islam and Arabian people and ideas spread throughout Africa (aside from the southern horn), Muhammed likely learned about Christian ideas from the Aksumites. That is, the Ethiopian Christian Church -- one of the oldest Christian Churches in the world. Aksum had expanded their empire across the Red Sea.

The Red Sea. It's a pretty thin line. But then again, so is the Mediterranean -- just ask Carthage.

Anyway, of course Arabia is not Africa. But there's a decent relationship. Egypt is probably the fuzziest example.

NubianMercenary
Nov 24, 2007, 08:35 PM
Offtopic FTL..

taillesskangaru
Nov 28, 2007, 07:26 PM
Empire Earth III will only have three main civilisations - Eastern, Western, Mid East. Firaxis is just keeping in with the trend.

I figured this is the time I should burst into some sort of outrage but frankly I'm not surprised about this.

NubianMercenary
Nov 28, 2007, 10:14 PM
Firaxis = Sigh*

Saim
Jul 07, 2008, 06:22 PM
According to IGN, it's Shaka of the Zulu, with an Impi UU:
http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/877/877668p4.html

Ginger_Ale
Jul 07, 2008, 06:26 PM
Since this thread is over half a year old and because we now know much more about the game, I'll close this thread. If you want to discuss Shaka now as it relates to gameplay, feel free to open a new thread.