View Full Version : No Metals, No Mines

Gooblah
Oct 30, 2007, 06:29 PM
I was forced to wonder after SIsutil's initial start in his current game, but what if a RPC game was played with the following rules:

No use of metals
Mines cannot be built on tiles containing Metals, defined as Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, Uranium, Aluminum (am I missing any?). Since we cannot use metals, what's the point in using Forges? (no Forges, no Metals)

No use of Mines
We are a society that prizes Hills as gifts from the Gods. As our ancestors originated there, we cannot tear down their homes. Thus, we cannot build structures tunneling into the hill. Structures can be built over it, but not under.
(i.e, NO Mines, but Windmills and Roads are okay)

Techs like Mining, BW, IW, MC, etc can be researched.

The Units enabled would be lacking, forcing Archery initially, and Gunpowder and HR becoming priority techs.

We CANNOT build the following units/unit classes:
Melee (with the exception of the Warrior unit)
Cannon
Crossbowman (this include Cho-Ko-Nu, so China is a big no-no)
Frigate
Ironclad (duh...)
Knight
Modern Armor
Stealth Bomber

That's the list for Vanilla. Since most people out here have BTS or Warlords, and I don't, I'm leaving the actual game thread, save, etc to others. Please list more units from the expansions to be eliminated!

Cam_H
Oct 30, 2007, 06:53 PM
Along similar lines, but not as stringent, it might be of interest to browse;

An Empire of Cards - No Metal Challenge (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=206431) and

Empire of Cards - No Metal Challenge 2 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=209385)

An interesting idea - I'm curious to see how it goes! :)

Gr8scott
Oct 30, 2007, 06:57 PM
Aztec looks like a prime choice for the UU...

Quotey
Oct 30, 2007, 07:22 PM
Just beeline for Workshops, I guess, and hope you get good food tiles.

Admiral Kutzov
Oct 30, 2007, 07:45 PM
since copper and iron are frequently found in the flatlands, what do you do about that? and what about gems and the happy gas from those with a forge? Wouldn't the mongols be a good choice for this variant?

shyuhe
Oct 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
The Empire of Cards were harder I think (yeah, I'm totally unbiased :lol:). We couldn't tech BW so we couldn't even settle on the metals to use them. No mines is a little rough though - you'll need lots of plains hills with forests. But if you can chop, I imagine you should be able to win at least up to monarch, probably emperor. Also, can't people just circumvent the rules by planting cities on the metal resources instead?