View Full Version : Passive Expansion Project (PEP) - Citizen Discussion

Chieftess
Jun 18, 2002, 08:10 PM
Rome has recently sacked the Greek city of Rhodes in the expanding war, leaving an open space, and allowing our borders to expand! We can take advantage of this oppurtunity by building (or rushing) settlers to fill in the spots where cities were razed. This would also help the CAP program.

Updates from the 2nd World War (It needs a name. :))

Rome, China, Babylon and Iroquois have an allience against Greece. India abandoned their MPP with Greece and is fighting against China. (The Military Department should give more insight into this. :)).

Destroyed Cities: (In order of turn chats)

Tyendenaga (Iroquois) - 4 tile void
Rhodes (Greece) - 1 tile void
Tatung (China) - 6 tile void

Iroquois have taken back all occupied cities! (That one city Greece took)

Shaitan
Jun 19, 2002, 04:02 AM
This is a great suggestion, Chieftess. I try to always take advantage of this situation in my own games. The only proviso I'd add as a general rule is that any new cities we found should be continuous in our borders. That is, no islands of Phoenatica inside foreign territory.

disorganizer
Jun 19, 2002, 04:04 AM
We should have a few settlers stationed in border cities to the war to be ready for settlement fast enough.
I notice as soon as some space is there, the ai will also start a settler to this point.
This will also give us perfect starting points for cultural attacks. We should have a "special budget" for those cities to immediately rush temple and library there.

chiefpaco
Jun 19, 2002, 09:46 AM
Great suggestion! I ask the governors to listen to these calls.

eyrei
Jun 20, 2002, 05:47 AM
While I have reservations about this whole idea (I don't really like to mimic the AI), I can support it if these settlers come from our corrupt and wasteful cities. We can rush settlers for very little gold, but the loss of two population points in one of our core cities is a waste. I would say, any city with more than 40% waste should be a prime candidate for producing these 'squaters'.

donsig
Jun 20, 2002, 06:55 AM
C'mon eyrei, let Eyr build a settler! (hehe)

I would like to point out that Paville could not be placed exactly where we wanted it due to the expansion of China's borders. As part of PEP I would like to propose that 'move' Paville a couple of tiles (to the one outlined in the screenshot). We'd have to recruit a band of settlers from somewhere to settle the location before abandoning the original Paville otherwise the Chines borders will take that spot again.

eyrei
Jun 20, 2002, 07:00 AM
I have been thinking about moving Paville as well. Once the cultural borders expand, we will be able to place it in a central location in that gulf, and then disband the original city.

donsig
Jun 20, 2002, 07:00 AM
Here's a shot of the area around Plexia.

donsig
Jun 20, 2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Chieftess
Iroquois have taken back all occupied cities! (That one city Greece took)

Greece still holds Oka on the eastern border of Kashmir. This city was the first one taken by the Greeks in the war.

Shaitan
Jun 20, 2002, 07:16 AM
Asyut, size 2, is building an aqueduct?

A settlement two tiles north of Ravenna will get us Ravenna's coal (after 1 culture expansion, temple plus 10 turns) and put more CAP pressure on Byzantium.

Moving Paville is a good idea. I wouldn't disband Paville though as there's no benefit. Irrigate and RR that bonus grassland that only it can use but have that as the only worked tile. It will grow to size 3 and stop and we'll get a scientist or taxman supported for free. It also exerts extra cultural pressure on Tsingtao. When Tsingtao's cultural borders are pushed back, Paville can use some water tiles to grow a bit more.

eyrei
Jun 20, 2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Shaitan
Asyut, size 2, is building an aqueduct?

Yeah. My workers were conscripted into building railroads. I was trying to grow that city quickly, but it doesn't seem to be a possibility now, unless I get those workers back almost immediately. The growth and completion of the aqueduct should have been pretty well timed, but...

donsig
Jun 20, 2002, 07:49 AM
Workers can definately go to Asyut immediately. After all, it is on the NRS! Plenty of free workers now since we only have a few Norman cities to connect to the NRS. We also have to complete the NRS in Kashmir but we need a road there first!

eyrei
Jun 20, 2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by donsig
Workers can definately go to Asyut immediately. After all, it is on the NRS! Plenty of free workers now since we only have a few Norman cities to connect to the NRS. We also have to complete the NRS in Kashmir but we need a road there first!

2 native workers should be sufficient to bring irrigation and cut down some trees. Irrigation should be done first, as Asyut will stop growing soon otherwise. Tiles that are irrigated should then be railroaded, and Asyut will soon be a large, productive city.

Chieftess
Jun 20, 2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by donsig

Greece still holds Oka on the eastern border of Kashmir. This city was the first one taken by the Greeks in the war.

I must've overlooked that one.

Chieftess
Jul 05, 2002, 07:25 PM
I've drawn a city-radius map of our new lands, and the lands the Babylonians took. Our cities are in yellow, and the Babylonians in red. As you can see, there's gaps that will soon be closed up by culture. There are a few empty gaps for culture cities, that I have marked. The 1 and 2 is a possible city location, either on the hill, or grasslands (when it builds on the jungle). The question mark is a skimpy piece of territory that could be used as a CAP (Culture Assualt Program) 'front'. The same goes for the city on the asterik. It's one of the possible sites we could use for our CAP project.

Cyc
Jul 05, 2002, 11:14 PM
Chieftess, I like all of the earlier proposed city sites better than any of these. I believe these city sites listed above would do more to hinder our existing cities in the area than to cause a cultural unbalance to Babylon.

Shaitan
Jul 22, 2002, 06:45 AM
Maintenance

This thread has been inactive for quite some time. Can it be unstuck now?

Chieftess
Jul 22, 2002, 07:22 AM
Yeah, it's pretty much complete. The 2nd Domino Wars are over.