View Full Version : The undefended city decoy

Redvane the Fox
Jun 20, 2002, 08:05 AM
I found this one out by accident in a recent game. Me (Babylon) was there happily building away when over the horizon come two huge stacks of Persian riflemen and cavalry (plus the odd knight)

I managed to hold them off for a couple of turns, weakening/destroying much of his cavalry force by "hit and run" raids but then needed to start pulling in more defenders from nearby cities to the "front line" which left one city about five squares away undefended. Well blow me down if the Persians didn't just leave off besiegeing Ur and wander off towards the empty city (sure they should not have been able to see it was empty from where they were but I'm not complaining. In moving off the stacks started to break up so with some more bombardment and heroic rushes by my cavalry this massive invasion force dwindled away to nothing ... no-one made it back to Persia alive :lol: :sniper:

Couple of things that made this work for me: I had railroads so were able to move troops and artillery into and out of cities quickly to keep the enemy in the "Killing Zone" and stop them actually taking a city. Having more than one railroad route into a city also means that if the enemy occupies one square of a route in you can still get troops back into the "unguarded" city in time. Even if you haven't got railroads remember the enemy gets no movement bonuses for roads so it might work in earlier era battles but with more planning.

Something to try: This might also work with unguarded artillery or workers - the AI seems to have a nose for these so as long as you position them out of reach of his units for that turn a couple of old redundant catapult might also do the trick.

Maple
Jun 20, 2002, 09:07 AM
Ari perfected a strategy using workers in your idea. Use them as moveable decoys to get AI units off mountains, cities, and hills.

sabo
Jun 20, 2002, 10:25 AM
I'm fairly new with CIV III and I had a similair situation this morning, (yeah I know I'm a hopeless addict, I play b4 work) anyway Persia had a city on my empires borders which was surrounded on 3 sides by mountains, I thought "what a perfect location for an ambush" I moved up about 35 artillery into the mountains supported by mech infantry, I proceeded to level the surround roads and RR to slow him down then I took the city, I immediatly vacated said city intentionally. Well no surprise he moves in with about 30 mech inf to take the vacated city and ended his turn 3 tiles away from it. When it was my turn I proceeded to reign "all hell breaks loose" on him with my Arty, then when he was red-lined I finished him off with my panzers, I love those panzers but they really don't have enough punch for mech inf, but by doing it the way I did I was very effective. Now Persia is running with his tail between his legs.

BTW... Some people say that panzers aren't that great because modern armor is just around the corner, but I've found that if you catch a civ at the right time (b4 mech inf) you can do ALOT of damage to him. I took half of china once in a single turn. That extra movement point and the fact that the can attack more than once (or untill their movement points expire) is a real asset for them

Dark Wanderer
Jun 20, 2002, 12:13 PM
I had an experience like that but scarier. I was minding my business build fortifications in a mountain chain tht was me south-eastern border. I left about 4 cities undefended cause every civ was gracious toward me. Then, out of the blue came a huge stack of zulu tanks from the other side of their mountains. But once he left his territory they had to stop because of their movement penalty in the mountains. After the tanks stopped Zululand declared war on me with his tanks right next to my cities. Well, because i had a good RR system i moved my workers away and brought up my mech inf and tanks to defend my cities and paradropped paratroopers behind his lines and airlifted somewhere aroun 150 infantry to pillage his improvements and hold ground.

The thing is that unguarded cities are a risk but when behind mountains or out of range of the enemy can screw him up.

Carver
Jun 20, 2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by sabo10
BTW... Some people say that panzers aren't that great because modern armor is just around the corner, but I've found that if you catch a civ at the right time (b4 mech inf) you can do ALOT of damage to him. I took half of china once in a single turn. That extra movement point and the fact that the can attack more than once (or untill their movement points expire) is a real asset for them [/B]

Oh yes. 3 moves vs. 2 makes a world of difference. Since many AI cities are within 3 tiles of one another you can ride the rails and sieze as many cities as your numbers of Panzers allow for. Usually this can't be done until modern armour but the Panzer gives you an early "one turn war" capacity.:) Additionally, you have the chance to delay your golden age untill the industrial era which can give you that tech/production boost at a critical time.

Add that to the German scientific trait and you have one of the best civs. So why have I only played as them once?:confused: must be that ugly Bismark.

Zouave
Jun 21, 2002, 02:40 AM
The utter stupidity of the AI always going for undefended workers or bombardment units is well known - and quite tiresome. It often does similar with resources.

The human using such a tactic is not so much smart as it is tedious tricking a dumb AI that doesn't learn. :sleep:

PATCH THIS, SOREN.

Ultraman
Jun 21, 2002, 03:20 AM
I call it the luring trick. Heavily outnumbered against the Persians. They went for ONE city with about 100 Immortals, 100 Infantry, 100 Mech Inf, and god knows how many cavalry and tanks. I ws badly outnumbered, but I did have aout 40 artillery. Moved them back and forth from that one city, and pounded them to pieces. by the time they cried uncle, sued for peace, their force was cut by more than half. As the units limped home, I declared war again and wiped them out. Stupid AI.

Evincar
Jun 21, 2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Ultraman
I call it the luring trick. Heavily outnumbered against the Persians. They went for ONE city with about 100 Immortals, 100 Infantry, 100 Mech Inf, and god knows how many cavalry and tanks. I ws badly outnumbered, but I did have aout 40 artillery. Moved them back and forth from that one city, and pounded them to pieces. by the time they cried uncle, sued for peace, their force was cut by more than half. As the units limped home, I declared war again and wiped them out. Stupid AI.

If you don't have enough military, there's always the "hard way" to deal wih huge stacks

:nuke: :nuke: :nuke: NUKE :nuke: :nuke: :nuke:

Ultraman
Jun 23, 2002, 08:03 PM
Yeah, that's true. But hate using nukes, the pollution, and the counter attack. The luring trick has so far meant I never have to go nuclear.

ProPain
Jun 24, 2002, 03:51 AM
Found out the undefended city strat inmy last gotm. Works like a charm. After 1.21f patch the worker decoy strat doesnt do the trick for me anymore.

You can also confuse the AI with alternating undefended cities. Have one undefended city, AI will move in on that. Next turn defend it and vacate another nearby city from its defenders. Al troops will turn around. Next turn, repeat from start. This way you'll have lots of time to bombard and eraze AI troops without them taking out your cities even when your outforced.

seat
Jun 25, 2002, 08:37 PM
i found a great decoy is to start attacking their cities
after i had wared with persia and made peace i noticed a huge stack of 100+ infantry, immortals... etc. moving into my territory persia never declared war and just ignored my "your troops are in my territory" threats, they just came right back. ( has any one else ever had this happen?) eventually i made a line of troops down the entire border and this lasted for awhile while i was waiting for tanks. as soon as i had about 100 tanks i moved one of the workers on the line and sure enough the entire stack reappeared, but it had swelled to over 150, and this time he declared war. i used my tanks to quickly start work on his cities which were poorly defended since every unit was at the front line. of course they turned back to defend their cities so to take care of the them i used my cavalry to take out all the railroad and roads so the stack could never catch up to my tanks, then used artillery to reduce their health. by doing this every turn ( this lasted about 10 turns) i was able to take out all of persia and most of the stack (the damaged ones split from the main group and made easy pickings) if the infantry had gotten back to their cities i would not have stood a chance

Ultraman
Jun 25, 2002, 09:17 PM
Yup, happened to me before. Declared war against a superior enemy. Got into hhis territory, to find that it was infested with units. Rebooted and took one city rather than go for broke. ALL his units assembled to attack that one city. While a holding force was keeping him occupied, the rest ran rampant over his now weakly defended cities - the AI never seems to have more than 2-3 units to defend a city, everything else, even warriors, is thrown into the attack.