View Full Version : best way to set a rally point

krp312
Dec 06, 2007, 08:02 PM
what do you do?

goldenhero
Dec 06, 2007, 08:52 PM
I don't think I've ever used a rally point. If I did I would probably forget to change it when something important comes up.

noto
Dec 06, 2007, 11:56 PM
Yes, with large empires and lots of units pumping out, you need a rally point, for micro management purposes. I take the OP to be asking the question of how to set it. If that's not your question, then I don't understand. There is no mention of how to set the rally point in the civpedia, so if you lost the manual it can be frustrating figuring out how. What you do is click the city bar and then hold down shift and then right click the tile you want to send the troops to. You will see a little yellow circle around it. That means that the city who's bar you clicked will send its troops to that circle. If you want to do this on continent wide basis, simply hold alt and click a city bar, you will then select all cities in your empire. Now just hold shift and right click a tile and all the cities on that continent will send troops to that spot. Hope that helps ;)

krp312
Dec 07, 2007, 12:06 AM
hah thank you good sir, that's what i was looking for

actually while i'm here, i got another q if that's alright. i've just taken a city from an enemy, and right by the city name is a fist with a colon and number. what does that number mean?

endymion
Dec 07, 2007, 01:41 AM
that number is how many turns are left before the city comes out of revolt

Dirk1302
Dec 07, 2007, 06:14 AM
Anyone knows how to delete a rally point? I usually set it into the ocean if i don't need it anymore but this has some (obvious) disadvantages too. It should be easy but i never quite figured it out.

IronCrown
Dec 07, 2007, 06:44 AM
Set it to a city while that city is selected.

Dirk1302
Dec 07, 2007, 09:40 AM
Thx IronCrown

xanadux
Dec 07, 2007, 09:45 AM
Anyone knows how to delete a rally point? I usually set it into the ocean if i don't need it anymore but this has some (obvious) disadvantages too. It should be easy but i never quite figured it out.

Yeah, it's a bummer when all your medieval age units drown because their armour is so heavy.

skyline5k
May 09, 2008, 10:52 PM
I guess this is a bit old, but it did answer my first question. My second... How do you undo a continental rally point? Can't set it to one city, or other cities will all just flock there.

TheMeInTeam
May 09, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, it's a bummer when all your medieval age units drown because their armour is so heavy.

Trebs would definitely float though :lol:, unless they've got the boulders they lob attached.

mystyfly
May 10, 2008, 02:50 AM
Does anyone read those messages when loading? Rally points is one of them.

OTOH every one seems to know not to fight land wars in asia :lol:

vicawoo
May 11, 2008, 05:41 AM
Trebs would definitely float though :lol:, unless they've got the boulders they lob attached.

So do ducks.

Solid
May 11, 2008, 11:18 AM
So do ducks.

Would that make the duck a witch!!!

kazapp
May 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
I guess this is a bit old, but it did answer my first question. My second... How do you undo a continental rally point? Can't set it to one city, or other cities will all just flock there.
I would like an answer for this as well.

mystyfly
May 11, 2008, 12:22 PM
I would like an answer for this as well.
Set it to a city while that city is selected.

10char

Ibian
May 11, 2008, 01:53 PM
That doesnt delete the rally point, it just resets its position. And it has to be done for each city manyally.

Is there an easy way to remove rally points as opposed to merely moving them around? I kinda wanna use them but its such a damn pain to manage them.

Balderstrom
May 11, 2008, 05:12 PM
Eris explains in pretty good detail over here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6743566&postcount=4)

Perugia
May 12, 2008, 05:55 AM
Does anyone read those messages when loading? Rally points is one of them.
OTOH every one seems to know not to fight land wars in asia :lol:
Just refer to the GameText_Strategy.xml Strategy Article in the War Academy (http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/strategy/gametext_strat_parse.php).
The tips you mention are numbers 356 and 398.

mystyfly
May 12, 2008, 05:58 AM
Just refer to the GameText_Strategy.xml Strategy Article in the War Academy.
The tips you mention are numbers 356 and 398.
356 is not exactly how I remember it. I use BUG mod, that must've affected those so the one I remember says clearly how to remove them. 356 in the original version is not that clear tbh.

398 is great though :lol:

Balderstrom
May 12, 2008, 09:01 AM
Sure but the 408 tips, don't mention how to remove a rally point at all.

Smakemupagus
May 12, 2008, 09:21 AM
That doesnt delete the rally point, it just resets its position. And it has to be done for each city manyally.

Is there an easy way to remove rally points as opposed to merely moving them around? I kinda wanna use them but its such a damn pain to manage them.

rallying a city to itself removes the rally point

rallying a group of cities to any city that is a member of the group also removes the rally point (with the side effect that you cannot rally a whole continent to a city)

Ibian
May 12, 2008, 09:43 AM
That 2nd part sounds like it fixes the problem. Will have to give it a try sometime. But why cant you rally an entire continent?