View Full Version : Typing weirdness

Rodgers
Jul 18, 2002, 10:27 AM
This has happened a couple of times now -

When typing a reply I've often had to go back and correct spelling or add to a previous paragraph. Sometimes when I do this it types over my previous text instead of inserting the new stuff - in the worst cases this has involved retyping whole paragraphs - v frustrating!

I cant see if there is an icon or something to allow me to change from overtype to insert as per Word

Am I missing something here?

AVN
Jul 18, 2002, 10:33 AM
Does pressing the <INS> key result in a change from insert to overtype ?
I use that button never and can always insert text (this is standard).

baseballtwin86
Jul 18, 2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by AVN
Does pressing the <INS> key result in a change from insert to overtype ?
I use that button never and can always insert text (this is standard).

Yes that is correct. If you are overtyping instead of inserting just hit the insert button on your keyboard.

floppa21
Jul 18, 2002, 12:07 PM
Doncha hate that? I think someone comes over and pushes my insert key every now and then just to frick with me... :mad:

knowltok2
Jul 18, 2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by floppa21
Doncha hate that? I think someone comes over and pushes my insert key every now and then just to frick with me... :mad:

Happens to me too. The worst is when you are editing an Excel formula. At least that is the worst for me. I suppose some people may find their worst to be when typing their tretise on how man can live in harmony on this planet. I wouldn't know anything about that though.

This is the second Floppa post I've responded to in a row. Is that some kind of record or something? ;)

floppa21
Jul 18, 2002, 02:07 PM
Stop stalking me or I'll ban you. :p Naw, you are a fellow Baklava Buddhist or something so I forgive you.

Just in case, and to avoid any confusion on the matter, I am not a mod. I was not impersonating a mod. I do not want to be a mod unless I can ball any and all at will. :)

anarchywrksbest
Jul 18, 2002, 08:25 PM
Do you ever have one of those moments when you feel SO Stupid. Well this is one of them. For ages I wondered why the the hell that overtype thing happens and now I know. Bofore I had to restart my bloody computer because i didn't know how to turn it off!!

Rodgers
Jul 19, 2002, 02:07 AM
Well, I'm typing now in the normal way - lets see what happens if I try and edit (for no apparent reason) what I have just put.

Yep - got it cracked! Thanks for your assistance! :)

spycatcher34
Jul 19, 2002, 10:02 AM
Gah I do that alot. It does that all the time in M$ word. :mad:

Becka
Jul 19, 2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by spycatcher34
Gah I do that alot. It does that all the time in M$ word. :mad:

But at least in Word there's a thing that tells you "insert" is on. :(

spycatcher34
Jul 19, 2002, 03:29 PM
There is? I've had to re-type whole paragraphs ebefore.

Sodapop
Jul 19, 2002, 03:45 PM
Normaly it tells you by changing the usual line that reminds you where you are typing by a big black block...

Becka
Jul 19, 2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by spycatcher34
There is? I've had to re-type whole paragraphs ebefore.

Look at the bottom underneath the left/right scroll bar. Push the insert key until you see "OVR" in black at the bottom. When you just see the shadow of "OVR", it means inserting is off.

CurtSibling
Jul 20, 2002, 04:50 AM
You just have to control your twitching, spasticated hands as the flail over the keyboard.

The insert key thing never happens to me.

Though I am a proffesional typist...

philippe
Jul 20, 2002, 08:27 AM
Get typing lessons like me.
i learned typing on a old typingmachine i barely passed but now with a PC i really can typ really fast.
Some friends tell me they cannot follow my hand whilst typing.
LOL!
Get typing lessons.

Dell19
Jul 20, 2002, 11:39 AM
I always wondered why it happened. If I needed to edit something in the middle of a paragraph I would have to copy and paste the rest of it so that I didn't have to type it again.

gonzo_for_civ
Jul 20, 2002, 12:40 PM
LOL dell!!!!! :lol:

I've never had the Ins key problem

Rodgers
Jul 22, 2002, 10:16 AM
Nice to know I wasn't the only one suffering this annoyance :)

Dell19
Jul 23, 2002, 02:42 AM
The other annoying key is if you use Caps Lock. I can be typing along quite happily and then it strikes. I hit the key too many times resulting in small letters instead of capitals and the rest in capitals. Its really annoying as its much quicker to delete all the writing and then retype it than search word for the function that allows you to change cases...