View Full Version : Is there a way...

kkmo
May 29, 2008, 01:24 AM
Hi. I am sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

I was wondering if "Planned Events" are possible when modding Civ4. I remember in Civ2, scenarios had an Events file. On certain dates, when playing a certain Civ, you would get a pop-up text file, and it would say something, and then a game-effect would happen (usually more units would pop up somewhere on the map). Is this possible in Civ4 editing just XML?

What I want to have is planned events that have pop-up text windows presenting specific "Missions", giving the player some extra units, and when the Mission is "accomplished", another pop-up text file, and another gameplay change (more units).

Again, my apologies if this has been asked already.

Edit: And another question (I did not want to open a new thread). What does each number mean for actual amount of population? How many people does 1 equal? Or 10? Does each 1=100,000 people?

Refar
May 29, 2008, 04:20 AM
There is no "simple" way to do that - like add it in the editor like you did in Civ2.
You could however make python Scripts, that trigger certain events. Shouldnt be too hard, but you will need to catch up some Python basics first.

As for pop... Somewhere in the city screen you should be able to see how many people are supposed to live in that city. How many peope 1 pop point is, does increase with size.

NikNaks
May 29, 2008, 04:26 AM
If you have BtS, it's entirely possible. There is an in-built system which can be configured as such using small Python snippets.

As for the population being represented, I don't think there's a set rule. maybe 10*(2^x) works? So, 20 when it's founded and around a million when it's 16 or 17.

EDIT: As Refar beat me to it, here's a link to a tutorial for you: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=230567

kkmo
May 29, 2008, 09:23 AM
Unfortunately BtS is not out for Mac yet. :sad: But I am not too worried, because I think this will allow me to focus on other areas of my scenario, and then once BtS comes out, I can focus on this. Its good to know there exists a solid opportunity to make use of events. Now I just need Aspyr to get the hell going on porting BtS to Mac. I might also get Boot Camp set up sometime soon, and go ahead and fork over around $70 for new Civ stuff so I can have some of these goodies you Windows users have. :D

Anyway, this tutorial is great - thanks very much.