View Full Version : GRAPHICS: ancient Greek-Roman user interface

BeBro
Jul 22, 2002, 06:15 AM
New Location on CFC: Bebro Mod - 580k (http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads7/Bebro_Grk_Rom_gui_v1.zip)

UPDATE: Ancient User Interface v1.0

August 11th 2002,

Download:

http://www.civ3.gamigo.de/bebromods/gui_v1.zip, size ca. 580kb

This is the first "alpha" release of this mod. I edited out all older attachements and preview screens in the other posts in this thread.

New screenshots:

http://www.civ3.gamigo.de/bebromods/civ3gui_v1diplo.jpg

http://www.civ3.gamigo.de/bebromods/civ3gui_v1misc.jpg

Readme file (also included as RTF file in English and German within the zip file)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This graphic mod changes the look of the Civ3 user interface to a more "ancient" style. Since they only change graphics, they should work with all Civ3 versions.

Feel free to use this mod for any purpose. However, if this mod is included in another modpack, or published on the web, please include me as the author - thatīs all Iīll ask for.

Installation

After unzipping, all files have to be copied into various subfolders of your Civ3 installation. However, before you do this, make sure you have backups of the orignal graphic files, otherwise you cannot return to the original Civ3 style without a complete new installation of the game. Once you made backups of those files, you can install the downloaded files from my modpack.

Hereīs a list of all files:

BACKUP the files...

box left color.pcx
box left alpha.pcx
box right color.pcx
box right alpha.pcx
GlobalWarming.pcx

...which are in the folder Civ3/Art/Interface/, then copy the new/unzipped files with the same names into this folder

consider.pcx
counter.pcx
talkoffer.pcx
uparrow.pcx
downarrow.pcx

...which are in the folder Civ3/Art/Diplomacy/ - then copy the new/unzipped files with the same names into this folder

background.pcx
BottomFadeBar.pcx
BottomFadeBarAlpha.pcx
ProButton.pcx
TopFadeBar.pcx
TopFadeBarAlpha.pcx

...which are in the folder Civ3/Art/City Screen/ - then copy the new/unzipped files with the same names into this folder

buttonsFINAL.pcx
TileInfo.pcx
scroll.pcx

...which are in the folder Civ3/Art/ - then copy the new/unzipped files with the same names into this folder

Now you can start Civ3 and play with the new graphics.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note: sometimes there appears a small graphic bug Iīm not able to fix in the new city screen - nothing serious, and without any negative effects on the game. However, if you donīt like this, copy the original files back into Civ3/Art/City Screen/ (use your backups)

BeBro
Jul 22, 2002, 06:17 AM
Second file - new art for negotiations

Installation:

BACKUP the files...

consider.pcx
counter.pcx
talkoffer.pcx

...which are in the folder Civ3/Art/Diplomacy/

UNZIP the attached file "diplo_gfx.zip" into the folder Civ3/Art/Diplomacy/ - done.

BeBro
Jul 22, 2002, 06:21 AM
Third file - new art for scroll bars, terrain info box etc.

Installation:

BACKUP the files...

TileInfo.pcx
scroll.pcx

...which are in the folder Civ3/Art/

UNZIP the attached file "TileInfo.zip" into the folder Civ3/Art/ - done.

I see those files as "beta" files, they worked without problems on my machine, but I plan to implement more changes in the future. Hope youīll like them :)

CivAgamemnon
Jul 22, 2002, 07:43 AM
Looks really nifty. Can we get screenshots of the 2nd and 3rd files? I'd like to see them before I decide to install them. I like that particular style a great deal.

BeBro
Jul 22, 2002, 07:52 AM
Well, the contents of the second file are already displayed on the shot in the first post - these are the changed backgrounds graphics for the leader pic, for the lists of alliances, maps, techs cities etc. on the left and right, and the changed "we offer..." display in the centre.

CivAgamemnon
Jul 22, 2002, 08:06 AM
I'm downloading these in a flash. They are defintely what is needed to spice up those boring old screens. Thanks so much for your hard work! :-). Now if someone can just make some sensible advisor heads rather than racy women....

CivAgamemnon
Jul 22, 2002, 08:30 AM
BeBro, I just installed these and ran the game. They look so much better than the ones that came with the game. You did terrific work, imho. This is what Civ3 shouldv'e shipped with- would have made it more fancier. Thank you for your hard work.

Earl Of Chester
Jul 22, 2002, 02:17 PM
Sounds like you've got yourself a fan for life there :) They do look preety good and may give them a whirl myself... just want to see it in comparision to the standard

BeBro
Jul 22, 2002, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the comments :)

More changes will definately follow, a good next project would a better city screen, but there are many elements to change, so it will need a bit time...;)

CurtSibling
Jul 22, 2002, 04:35 PM
Nice graphics!

Way better than the boring CIV3 standard ones!

Downloading right now!

homegrown
Jul 23, 2002, 03:08 PM
These are awesome. Thanks a lot.

BeBro
Jul 26, 2002, 11:03 AM
Please note: the changed icons you can see in the pic (shields, money) are currently not included, because I want to change the rest of the icons too before I release these gfx. For now its only the city screen itself...;)

Installation:

BACKUP the files...

background.pcx
BottomFadeBar.pcx
BottomFadeBarAlpha.pcx
ProButton.pcx
TopFadeBar.pcx
TopFadeBarAlpha.pcx

...which are in the folder Civ3/Art/City Screen/

UNZIP the attached file "background.zip" into the folder Civ3/Art/City Screen/ - done.

BeBro
Jul 26, 2002, 11:08 AM
Here is it :)

Exsanguination
Jul 26, 2002, 07:43 PM
great job :goodjob:. One tip though: Extend the fancy borders (pillars) out a bit so they don't cover/conflict with the little beakers/gold/etc in the diplo screen and the X's all over ;). Just some constructive criticism.

CyberTyrant
Jul 26, 2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by homegrown
These are awesome. Thanks a lot.

BeBro
Jul 27, 2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Exsanguination
great job :goodjob:. One tip though: Extend the fancy borders (pillars) out a bit so they don't cover/conflict with the little beakers/gold/etc in the diplo screen and the X's all over ;). Just some constructive criticism.

Well, yes, some gfx need to be optimized.

Such thing will be fixed in a future version... :)

kring
Aug 01, 2002, 01:27 AM
They are all looking great. I like changes of pace, and these are definitely that.

Keep up the good work.

Justus II
Aug 01, 2002, 01:44 AM
This is just what I was looking for. I would like to use these for the new version of my Roman scenario.

BTW BeBro, have you given any thought to updating your Imperium Romanum scenario for Civ3? That is still one of my favorite scenarios, (especially when I have to use my laptop), but I don't know how you could duplicate it without the events files. It would be cool, though.

BeBro
Aug 01, 2002, 06:51 AM
Iīm glad you like Imperium Romanum :) However, currently Í donīt see the chance to do similar things in civ3, I hope PTW gives more power to the creators...

CivAgamemnon
Aug 01, 2002, 08:53 AM
Such as a diplomacy editor? :). There is an unoffical one in the utilities section, maybe that will fit the bill?

BeBro
Aug 04, 2002, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the link, but Justus II is right, we need also something similar to the events language in civ2. I still hope for PTW, it has scenarios, so I expect more options for scn designers :)

BeBro
Aug 11, 2002, 08:29 AM
Update! :)

I updated the mod, please dl the new file from the first post of this thread, there are also new screenshots.

All other pics/attachements have been deleted.

Whatīs new?

- Slightly modified gfx of the negotiations to fix the problems with the arrows for scrolling up/down

- Added new Civ3 style buttons

- Added a complete readme file in English and German

CyberTyrant
Aug 11, 2002, 09:52 PM
Cool. Thanks BeBro.

Kryten4000
Jan 16, 2003, 10:41 PM
Do you know what causes the interface giltch?

BeBro
Jan 19, 2003, 01:39 PM
Sorry for the late reply, I didnīt check this subforum for a while ;)

Do you mean the graphic bug mentioned in the first post (which sometimes appear in the city screen)?

It seems to be a redraw problem - when you add entertainers, scientists etc sometimes a small part on the side of the new city screen isnīt displayed correctly. Maybe this is caused by the fact that parts of my graphics are in an area which displays normally the city radius with the map tiles.

I could probably get rid of it when I remove the columns on the left and right sides of my city gfx - but I like those columns. Maybe I should offer such a screen as an alternative, so the user could decide himself if he can live with the little display bug (but with the columns) or not.

mikellos
Apr 07, 2003, 05:02 PM
Congrats BeBro!

I like your mod, I even use it, though modified a little bit. I don't like the "original" column-over-column style (eg the frame around leader picture) so I modified it to have only one (long or very long) column.

mikellos

Corn Shucker
Mar 06, 2004, 08:15 AM
BeBro! These look great! Looking forward to dloading them! lol thanks!

Corey
Mar 08, 2004, 02:48 PM
Downloading.....

jzsf
Apr 04, 2004, 05:36 AM
It's a beauty! :thumbsup:
...but it isn't fit with in modern ages :(

Kal-el
Jun 02, 2004, 02:13 PM
are these available anywhere?

ocedius
Jun 02, 2004, 05:25 PM
What Kal-el said, are these available because the links broken... :(

kring
Jun 02, 2004, 10:08 PM
I temporarily uploaded it here:

http://members.cox.net/kring1bc/Bebro%20Grk%20Rom%20gui_v1.zip

I have sent a PM to Chieftess to see if one of the mods can put the zip file in the first post of this thread.

ocedius
Jun 02, 2004, 11:18 PM
:) thanx kring, downloaded and will try out tomorrow :)

Kal-el
Jun 03, 2004, 08:11 AM
Thanks a lot, Kring.

Paalikles
Sep 26, 2004, 03:27 AM
Screenshots dont work, so I guess dowloading via Kring's link could work