View Full Version : Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain

warpstorm
Jul 22, 2002, 06:53 PM
November 12, 2002:

This modpack is now available for download!!

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/modpack/Warpstorm_Watercolor.zip

Screenshots:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3images/Watercolor.jpg
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3images/Watercolor2.jpg

-----------------------------------
Here is a new graphics mod I started this weekend. It is far from done, but you get the idea. Does anyone like this one? Is it worth my time to clean it up?

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/modpack/Watercolor2sm.jpg

Jon Shafer
Jul 22, 2002, 07:17 PM
Hey that's pretty cool! Go ahead and continue, I may have to think really hard on whether or not I want to keep Sn00py's graphics mod if you finish that. :)

Dark Sheer
Jul 22, 2002, 08:02 PM
Cool. It looks like watercolor to me. :cooool:

Stormbringer
Jul 22, 2002, 08:35 PM
It looks very good. Just the forests need a little patching up

Random Passerby
Jul 22, 2002, 09:50 PM
Sweet! I never minded the original graphics much so I just never bothered downloading any modifications, but I think that policy's due for a change!

hzm
Jul 23, 2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Dark Sheer
Cool. It looks like watercolor to me. :cooool:

It does. I love it!

Chris85
Jul 23, 2002, 09:00 AM
That's pretty cool looking with the outlining and the shadowing of the mountains and hills. I agree it looks like a watercolor painting. :)

Smoking mirror
Jul 25, 2002, 09:05 AM
Looks nice, would be good for a special scenario; perhaps an 18th century colonial mod or something, you may wnt to use the effect on the citys, but leave the units as they are; perhaps a gilded picture frame effect on the game borders would fit in with the style (on the leaderhead portraits ect..).

warpstorm
Aug 21, 2002, 07:31 AM
Wow, getting tiles totally seamless was harder than I thought, but I'm finally nearly done (99.9%).

DaRealStinger
Aug 21, 2002, 08:03 AM
This is the "BEST" Terrain, iīve ever seen !

And I donīt say this with no reason : The Terrain looks
balanced ... :eek: I mean, it donīt looks like "PLATTENBAU" or
"All the Same" ... REALLY COOL !

Mfg, DaRealStinger

PS. "SEHR GUT !"

PPS. Can I Use it for my "Next Imperialsim Mod" ? :confused:

ViceRoy
Aug 22, 2002, 03:49 AM
And I thought I would be sticking up with those Snoopy Graphics forever...Still they are great but your terrain looks better for my taste...

You took my feet off for sure...I almost missed thread at first.

I'm looking forward for this graphic pack for more than nothing.

Colonel Kraken
Aug 22, 2002, 02:54 PM
I REALLY like it. It seems to fit very well with the game. It's clean, simple, and elegant. Very nice. Thanks. :)

W.i.n.t.e.r
Aug 24, 2002, 04:31 AM
Coool, I can see fantasy scenarios, or historicals happening on this map- looks very nice- simple, but we likes it !!!

Leonel
Aug 24, 2002, 06:48 AM
Cool! Looks prettyful! I like the water color effect. No little grain pixels, but a beautiful, pure green color. :D I WANT!!! *makes hand grab motions*

player1 fanatic
Aug 27, 2002, 04:59 AM
Looks pretty artistic.
(like some 19th century painting)

Did you used some artistic fliters in your graphic editing program?

sealman
Aug 27, 2002, 05:43 AM
Could just be my bloodshot eyes but the text looks a little sharper as well. :goodjob:

Jaybe
Aug 27, 2002, 08:28 AM
(Sigh). VERY pretty, but when I tried it resources were not clear/distinct enough. Required more work to SEE the map than I wanted to invest.

warpstorm
Aug 27, 2002, 10:45 AM
When did you try it, Jaybe? I gave a copy of an old version to a few people, but I don't remember you getting it, unless you go by a different name on other forums. Or one of the people I gave it to passed it on. No big deal, just curious. In this internet age anything's possible.

Nobody but me has the latest, greatest, almost cleaned-up version. Since Jaybe mentioned it, I'll look at it with respect to spotting of resources. Maybe I'll need to customize the resource.pcx to go with it.

Kuratko
Sep 03, 2002, 03:22 AM
That looks very nice, warpstorm. Any chance to have something to download soon? I'd like to test it....

dannyevilcat
Sep 03, 2002, 12:52 PM
I think it's beautifully done. I'll most definitely be using it! It's like impressionist art meets Civilization! I think it's just fantastic!

In fact, I'd like to use it as it is, so far. How are you planning to "clean it up"?

CurtSibling
Sep 03, 2002, 12:57 PM
Abstract, but really cool!

Strive on, my son!

Senoj
Sep 05, 2002, 11:10 AM
Watercolour? Nice! Get those brushes painting!

GhengisFarb
Sep 09, 2002, 12:44 PM
I think its very interesting, wondering what kind of scenarios this may inspire.

Exsanguination
Sep 10, 2002, 04:20 PM
When do you think it will be done by? It looks pretty rad :goodjob:. Will have to test it in-game first before I'll know for sure ;).

warpstorm
Sep 10, 2002, 06:29 PM
Soon, soon.

warpstorm
Sep 23, 2002, 01:42 PM
Closing in finished. Here's a shot showing the current look.

go weissen
Sep 23, 2002, 01:55 PM
I really like it. Your are a artist.

Exsanguination
Sep 23, 2002, 02:01 PM
I hate you for making me choose between v3.0 of Snoopy's mod and yours. :p (eagerly awaiting release!)

warpstorm
Sep 23, 2002, 02:03 PM
That is a tough one, Sn00py's new mod is damn good.

Jaybe
Sep 23, 2002, 07:43 PM
(Sigh...) I found Snoopy's version 3.0 to be pretty, but unclear for game play.
It needs to be functional for me to use it, and (especially) the irrigation graphics were way too confusing. I use his previous version.

If Warpstorm's makes tile identification a breeze, and is beautiful to boot, he will get the prize.

Balou
Sep 24, 2002, 05:31 AM
That looks really good. (It reminds me somehow of an ancient map) I like the simple 2d style, itīs easier on the eyes.
Hope you will have this ready soon.

RobO
Sep 26, 2002, 03:54 AM
warpstorm, this looks really nice, but I can't find a download link anywhere. I would like to try it.

I tried Snoopys v3 but scrapped it again in favor of v2. I esp. dislike his update of the water squares. The ones from v2 look much better.

Shabbaman
Sep 26, 2002, 06:31 AM
Say warpstorm, those guys at firaxis...

TheNiceOne
Sep 26, 2002, 07:53 AM
warpstorm, this looks like the best terrain mod I've seen. Please let me get it :love:

The only suggestion I have is to remove the white beach strip where the grassland reach the cost. I think it would look better with green all the way to the coast.

warpstorm
Sep 26, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Shabbaman
Say warpstorm, those guys at firaxis...

What?

Balou
Sep 26, 2002, 10:52 AM
Your graphics were in one of the screenshots from the PTW Preview on UGO.com. Does that mean you donīt want to release your mod until the addon arrives?

RobO
Sep 26, 2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Balou
Your graphics were in one of the screenshots from the PTW Preview on UGO.com. Does that mean you donīt want to release your mod until the addon arrives?
That's probaby it. Those :flamedevi Firaxians probably taped his mouth shut.

But seriously, I really don't see why warpstorm shouldn't be able to release it here before PtW comes out. After all, we're not going to base our decision whether to buy PtW on the inclusion of this (or any other) mod. And this graphics mod should not contain any PtW specific content. Even if it does somehow, it should be in warpstorms interest (certainly in ours) to also publish a version that's compatible with vanilla Civ3.

Warpstorm, you'd better speak up before the rumours get out of hand ;)

Shabbaman
Sep 27, 2002, 01:41 AM
Besides that, it'll probably be even better than any firaxian product:)

rbelmont
Sep 27, 2002, 02:54 AM
This reminds me of console cel-shading. Maybe with this someone can bust out a Jet Set Radio mod

Paalikles
Sep 27, 2002, 05:32 AM
Resources & bonus resources should be made more visible I think.
Looking forward to the release of this mod. Looking good so far!

T-hawk
Sep 27, 2002, 08:20 AM
I find the best use of Snoopy's is to use it without his irrigation graphics - just use the original for that. His new v3 (and you have to get at least two updates to that from towards the end of the thread) does really good.

But this one does look promising, too. Pure functionality for game play, which is great. I second Exsanguination's dilemma. :) Might have to go back and forth depending on my mood.

Level
Sep 27, 2002, 12:36 PM
One good thing about PtW is you can pick witch graphics you want to use when you start a game.

cameramano
Sep 30, 2002, 07:16 AM
How was the watercoloring done? I'm guessing a Photoshop filter with a little bit of work....?

warpstorm
Sep 30, 2002, 07:39 AM
Yes, kind of.

Lots of prep work and cleanup of the original Civ3 tile sets to prepare them for the filters (about 2 hours of pixel manipulations (by this I mean me manually changing pixels to make things work) on the average per base tile set). Lots of different filters and effects (at least 20, much more on some tile types) chained together followed by lots of individual pixel manipulations to clean up the resulting filtered output and add little touchs.

It's taken at least 8 hours or so for each of the base terrain tile sets because they have to connect seamlessly with every other similar tile. The tile types that don't have to connect are much easier. BTW, the filters take next to no time in the process.

cameramano
Sep 30, 2002, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the explaination. Very cool. I look forward to using it.

MSGT John Drew
Oct 04, 2002, 10:27 PM
the white beachline is fine. it reminds me of a relief painting, somewhat. the irrigation needs work though since it blurs the tile completely. How about sticking to the original but maybe blurring it just a bit. (looked at your SOTD post for this)

hills look really cool btw. the mountains reminds me of the mountains graphic on Magic The Gathering 4th Edition land cards. :lol:

warpstorm
Oct 05, 2002, 05:35 AM
To be honest, the irrigation is the one thing in this that I haven't been happy with. This is probably my 5th or 6th variant (the others were worse). I'm thinking of trying a croplands look similar to SnOOp's latest and see how that looks.

petridish86
Oct 06, 2002, 05:59 PM
ya the forest needs some work but nice job man. also, the hills look like they have a sharp edge at the top so i dunno if u wanted that but those are the only 2 things that look funny to me. this is a really cool mod.

tpasmall
Oct 08, 2002, 03:24 PM
warpstorm, is that tentacle from maniac mansion?

warpstorm
Oct 08, 2002, 06:34 PM
Yes, although this particular avatar and the quote is from the sequel, Day of the Tentacle.

tpasmall
Oct 08, 2002, 07:29 PM
I dont remember playing Day of the Tentacle, but i have heard of it. But, Maniac Mansion was the best game of all time.

Long Live C64!

warpstorm
Oct 09, 2002, 04:00 PM
Here's a shot with my "improved" irrigation. I took inspiration from Sn00py's previous irrigation (not his latest).

RobO
Oct 10, 2002, 11:39 PM
warpstorm, it looks like the goody huts and resources have been redone as well. Is this true?

I use this (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=145114#post145114) mod for the goody huts (don't like the default much). Have you got any idea how it would look with your terrain? I obviously can't test it myself :(

I also play mods instead of the original, and they have different resources. Double your pleasure, obviously, but also the Ancient Mediterranean mod by Thamis. How would that look?

Finally, I have changed the mine graphics. I suppose you changed that as well.

warpstorm
Oct 11, 2002, 04:50 AM
In general, my mod uses a palette that is tinted a little darker brown than normal (or even SnOOpy's). My mode has replacements for everything (I think I got everything) that appears on the map (except units) to get the colors to match up (at the very least).

I could no doubt map the colors for any mod into my scheme with only a little bit of work. With a bit more work I could map the styles into my style.

Since I've been talking to Kal-El and Isak about other stuff, I'll make sure that I convert the PYP resources file to a suitable palette.

The PTW mod management changes will make it easier to maintain slightly different versions.

Heck, I may even convert mmx goodys for grins.

warpstorm
Oct 11, 2002, 04:51 AM
PS, I'll look at the Ancient Med mod and see what that'd take also.

RobO
Oct 11, 2002, 05:10 AM
:D That's great news, warpstorm :goodjob:

Make sure that you get the right DyP resource file from Kal-el or Isak. There has been a number of changes over time. Isak is probably the best bet as he has uploaded the version you're looking for.

gen.dragolen
Oct 11, 2002, 06:37 AM
Warpstorm,

Which app are you using to do the watercolour graphics ?

I've been trying to learn to do graphics on the pc instead of using pencil/ink/oils, and I'm impressed with what you've achieved with the watercolour look. I've been tinkering with GIMP, but it's been a steep learning curve between shading with a pencil and using a mouse...

I can't wait to try a game with the water colour terrain. I've been adding units to fill the gaps in Industrial and Modern times, and replacing others with more appropriate graphics. (for example Ironclads) Some of the things I'm working on would need to have the units done in the same palette to give them the proper feel.

D.

warpstorm
Oct 11, 2002, 09:38 AM
I'm using Photoshop Elements for pretty much everything I've done. It's basically like Photoshop, but without most of the fancy filters. I like it because I've been able to figure out how to make it do what I want it to, not because it is very powerful.

I've got Corel (very powerful but I hate the user interface). I've tried Paintshop Pro and it was pretty good also. It would be my second choice (if I spent enough time learning it I might like it best).

gen.dragolen
Oct 11, 2002, 11:58 AM
warpstorm,

Thanks. I have access to a copy of Photoshop with alot of the extras. Going to have to try it out now.

D.

warpstorm
Oct 11, 2002, 03:53 PM
If I hadn't already bought the other ones, I'd probably buy PaintshopPro (and I still might). For the price it's the most powerful and it has a sane user interface.

RufRydyr
Oct 12, 2002, 05:46 AM
It's beautiful. But....saltpeter is hard to see. Also, the railroad still looks like a crappy railroad. Do you a mod where every luxury/resource is clearly visible on every type of terrain? Where can you download the latest version?

warpstorm
Oct 12, 2002, 06:23 AM
Actually, Saltpeter is easier to see than the previous version, especially over desert. The JPEG conversion messed some things up.

I don't mind the rails, but then I never did. They look about like aerial photos of the road/rail net.

RufRydyr
Oct 12, 2002, 06:27 AM
Sooo, where can I download it? I'd like to try the in progress version.

RobO
Oct 14, 2002, 04:37 AM
Well, RufRydyr, it seems that you will eventually be able to "download" it from the PtW CD.

Warpstorm has been conspicuously silent about any opportunity to get our hands on his work before that. I don't know any more than that so I'll leave you to your own conclusions.

Wetterlind
Oct 16, 2002, 05:32 AM
Constructive criticisms: this is so beautiful my chest hurt!

RufRydyr
Oct 16, 2002, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by RobO
Well, RufRydyr, it seems that you will eventually be able to "download" it from the PtW CD.

Warpstorm has been conspicuously silent about any opportunity to get our hands on his work before that. I don't know any more than that so I'll leave you to your own conclusions.

Hehehehe. Yep!

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screens/0,11105,561213,00.html?page=36

RobO
Oct 16, 2002, 06:23 AM
Gamespot wants me to pay for that info. I'd rather not do that. Perhaps you could enlighten me, RufRydyr?

RobO
Oct 16, 2002, 06:24 AM
Btw, inclusion in PtW does not explain why warpstorm won't release a version now that has no PtW specific content. It should not be too difficult to do.

RufRydyr
Oct 16, 2002, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by RobO
Gamespot wants me to pay for that info. I'd rather not do that. Perhaps you could enlighten me, RufRydyr?

That's weird. It's just one of the pages referred to on the main civfanatics page today.

It just shows warpstorm's watercolor mod as being part of the PTW.

Babble-on
Oct 17, 2002, 03:52 PM
I think Warpstorm's creation is fantastic. It along with Snoopy's has inspired me to create my own Modpack. I highly suggest using Photoshop to create these graphics. There are just so many things built into PS that make it perfect for art creation for this game. That is what I am using and I have managed to do all of the Grassland tiles in about 2 hrs.

Warpstorm, how did you get selected to be included in the PTW expansion pack? Did they contact you or did you contact them?

Thanks and great job buddy!:goodjob:

warpstorm
Oct 17, 2002, 05:54 PM
I contacted them a while back with a early version (before I learned how to use Photoshop :D ), when they were asking for submissions.

RufRydyr
Oct 18, 2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by warpstorm
I contacted them a while back with a early version (before I learned how to use Photoshop :D ), when they were asking for submissions.

So, did you get fame and fortune out of it or just fame?

warpstorm
Oct 18, 2002, 05:12 AM
No fortune.

RufRydyr
Oct 18, 2002, 05:22 AM
I had a feeling.

RobO
Oct 18, 2002, 10:54 AM
Well, then, why can't we have a version now?

werdhertz
Oct 27, 2002, 01:23 AM
most likely the same reason why you cant have a version of Firaxis` in house made terrain, because they are a company and it wouldnt be the smartest business idea releasing features before the expansion is even released.

But the terrain looks great! I just hope cities or babr camps dont look to out of place in it...

warpstorm
Oct 27, 2002, 05:14 AM
I redid the cities and camps and, and, and, to match.

RobO
Oct 27, 2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by werdhertz
most likely the same reason why you cant have a version of Firaxis` in house made terrain, because they are a company and it wouldnt be the smartest business idea releasing features before the expansion is even released.
That would be true for a company like Firaxis, but warpstorm doesn't run a company unless I'm mistaken, and he recently stated that his return for this is fame, not fortune.
DyP is not on the PtW CD (was pulled off at the last minute) but even if it was, that wouldn't stop us from publishing a version with no PtW specific content before PtW is out.

warpstorm
Oct 27, 2002, 07:05 AM
I am seriously considering releasing a version without the PTW specific tiles.

gen.dragolen
Nov 04, 2002, 10:07 AM
Warpstorm,

All I can say about your terrain graphics is

WE'RE NOT WORTHY, WE'RE NOT WORTHY !!

I am looking forward to setting up the LoTR Mod and using your terrain with it.

Now to redo some of the units and other settings with the PtW editor. Then I should have a fairly good wargame setup in addition to the diplomacy and commerce. That should only take most of the winter to finish...

Thanks for your efforts and keep playing with the graphics. The next thing we could use is some more types of palace types.

D.

Balou
Nov 04, 2002, 02:41 PM

I would really appreciate that. I donīt see any reasons not to make the graphics available for everyone. (donīt know why you did not already release them two month ago in the first place..)

Thunderfall
Nov 12, 2002, 09:32 AM
It's here! :)

Download Link:
http://www.civfanatics.net/files/civ3/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=534

RufRydyr
Nov 12, 2002, 12:01 PM
I've been using it since I got PTW and love it. Thanks.

Balou
Nov 12, 2002, 12:22 PM
The terrain looks really fantastic in the game. Thank you for making it available for download.

gugalpm
Nov 14, 2002, 06:55 PM
Hail to Warpstorm,
Hail to Thunderfall
Hail to the Civfanatics!

Titan925
Nov 15, 2002, 05:59 PM
I picked it up, and I feel like I'm in What Dreams may Come

kimme
Nov 16, 2002, 06:55 AM
Funny but my whole map was made visible with these art files, The whole bloody world was viewable. How can this thing happen?????

warpstorm
Nov 16, 2002, 09:14 PM
It could happen if the Fogofwar.pcx file was modded in Civ3 (but not in PTW). However, this is not one of the things I modded. In addition, debug mode in PTW will show the entire map.

GIDustin
Nov 18, 2002, 03:56 PM

What exactly are the PTW specific tiles? I thought that terrain mods for Civ3 would work with PTW, and vice versa. Was I wrong? Do I have to change my website to have PTW and NON-PTW terrain sections? I am curious as to what you mean.

Man Now I am going to be cruising PCX files trying to find out what you mean.

GIDustin

warpstorm
Nov 18, 2002, 05:45 PM
Well, it'll run on Civ3 with the PTW specific tiles. It just won't use them.

FYI, the files I used are:

x_airfields and detect.PCX
destroy.pcx
x_victory.pcx

In addition, there is X_airfields and detect_shadow.PCX,of which I use the PTW default.

If someone uses a Civ3 mod on PTW, they'll get the default versions of these files.

hbdragon88
Nov 18, 2002, 06:09 PM
I downloaded it, and it's a great art pack. However I did have to replace the irrigation file because I felt that it was too thick for my taste.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "ruins" graphic.

warpstorm
Nov 18, 2002, 07:01 PM
There is a 'thinner' irrigation tile in the set. I left it there because I was undecided on the 'fields' look of the final verion. It is called irrigationsave.pcx. Copy it over the other 4 irrigation tile files. It's a little closer to the Civ3 normal irrigation in style.

hbdragon88
Nov 23, 2002, 08:40 PM
Where exactly? I looked in the "terrain" folder but didn't find a irrigationsave.pcx.

GIDustin
Nov 23, 2002, 09:04 PM
Your watercolor terrain has been added to my site. If you want to change the screenshot, send me the one you want and I will replace it.

GIDustin

warpstorm
Nov 23, 2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by hbdragon88
Where exactly? I looked in the "terrain" folder but didn't find a irrigationsave.pcx.

Hmmm...it's there on mine

Here it is:

Cordy
Dec 03, 2002, 03:16 AM
Warpstorm

If you want to modify my irrigation files to fit in with your watercolour modpack that is fine by me. If you want I can send you the masters.

Cordy

cavemanf16
Dec 13, 2002, 02:27 PM
I've used Snoopy's original terrain mod, his latest terrain mod, and then simply waited until I got PTW to try out your watercoler terrain mod since I was too darn lazy to switch my terrains again. ;)

But I have to tell you, WOW! After having played with the watercolor terrain mod, I LOVE IT! Easily identifiable squares, hills, mountains, trees, etc, and yet soft, simple and elegant all at the same time. Reminds me very much of a board game like Risk, while still retaining that refined Civ3 look. Thanks a lot for your time and dedication to this mod! (As you can tell I really like this mod :-P)

Mythrandir
Dec 15, 2002, 11:47 AM
I just found out about this today while looking through old SOTDs and this is beautiful. A work of art! I`m installing it right now.

worshipwillow
Dec 16, 2002, 10:39 PM
November 12, 2002:
Here is a new graphics mod I started this weekend. It is far from done, but you get the idea. Does anyone like this one? Is it worth my time to clean it up?

Doubleplusgood! Makes Civ3 look like a Japanese (or Chinese) painting. Very atmospheric, actually. Please keep working on it if you feel it needs it. I say, maybe the water could be blue-ed up a bit. Cya!

Mythrandir
Dec 16, 2002, 11:54 PM
Hello. Its me again. I saw someone in this forum earlier saying they could see the whole map after they installed it. I installed it too and PRESTO I could see all! I could see the land and borders but no cities and units... hmmm. The reason? The download Thunderfall has posted at the top of page 5 has a slight problem. It contains no FogOfWar.pcx fil in the terrain folder. It can be found the terrain folder that you make a backup copy of before replacing fo reasons such as this. For players that like to use the map editor the StartLoc.pcx file is also not there and can be found in the same backed-up file as the FogOfWar.pcx file.

warpstorm
Dec 17, 2002, 04:19 AM
To be honest, I never tried installing from the download that is on this site.

I designed this for PTW and intentionally left any files I wasn't changing out, as PTW will look in the standard Civ3 directories for anything it can't find. If you are installing this on Civ3 you probably need to install it over top of a standard set of terrain files to get all of the default files.

Mythrandir
Dec 17, 2002, 04:14 PM
The best way to do it is to download it from top of page 5 and then open the folder and select and drag the files over. Then just hit "yes" when it asks to replace the files. Just make sure you back up all files that ou are replacing first.

delmar
Jan 03, 2003, 10:31 PM
Warpstorm,

in another thread you said: "Y'all should get PTW for that reason alone. [..] You can build your graphics without having to overwrite any files." I've got PtW and I would like to change some parts of your Watercolor graphic mod, but I don't want to overwrite the original. How do I do this?

I guess my question boils down to this: what is in the "Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain.bix" file and how do I create similar one on my own?

Thanks,

Delmar

warpstorm
Jan 04, 2003, 09:39 AM
Actually, there is nothing in the Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain.bix. It is there to make use of the fact that the scenario search path looks for directories with the same name as your scenario.

The simplest way would be to just copy the Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain directory to new folder in the PTW\Scenarios folder and make a scenario named the same thing as your folder. You could then change the pcx files in it and not mess up the original files at all. Just load the new scenario.

A more flexible (but more complex) way to do this with the least copying (if that matters) would be to copy the particular pcx files that you want to change into a parallel directory structure. Then make a scenario and in the the Scenario Search Folders field put your scenario name first then Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain.

For example, say that your mod was called DelmarWC and you wanted to modify the goodyhuts.pcx file from my mod.

First make a directory under you PTW\Scenarios directory named DelmarWC. In this directory make an Art\Terrain directory and copy goodyhuts.pcx into it. Mod this file (PTW\Scenarios\DelmarWC\Art\Terrain\goodyhuts.pcx) .

Create a new scenario (the name won't matter for this technique) and in the Scenario Search Folders field on the Scenario Properties page put this string:

DelmarWC;Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;

The more complex method can be used to add these files to any mod.

Yoda Power
Jan 04, 2003, 09:41 AM
Warpstorm have you ever thought anout doing another graphic set?

delmar
Jan 04, 2003, 09:58 AM
Create a new scenario (the name won't matter for this technique) and in the Scenario Search Folders field on the Scenario Properties page put this string:

DelmarWC;Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

Sir John
Jan 28, 2003, 01:13 AM
This is awsome... How many yers did you say you went to artis school??? =D

aaglo
Jan 28, 2003, 04:12 AM
This watercolor terrain looks awesome :D

warpstorm
Jan 28, 2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Sir John
This is awsome... How many yers did you say you went to artis school??? =D

Would you believe none. I'm not really an artist, I just wanted a terrain set that looked sort of like this, so I made it.

Plexus
Feb 03, 2003, 07:40 PM
Dude, I love your tileset so much, I used it in my Medeival Japan scenario (you can see it in the completed scenarios forum).

mcdh
Mar 06, 2003, 11:21 AM
Got it. Never mind.

Fanatix
Mar 09, 2003, 12:07 PM
It's great! Might want to remove those thin outlines though.

warpstorm
Mar 09, 2003, 05:54 PM
Not likely, it took me forever to put them in. :)

cursif
Oct 22, 2003, 07:42 AM
How hard would it be to use yr graphics with another mod, say... DYP?

RSL

mrtn
Oct 22, 2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by cursif
How hard would it be to use yr graphics with another mod, say... DYP?

RSL Not hard at all!
In the Editor, go to Scenario\scenario properties.
In the Scenario Search Folders, add

..\Scenarios\Warpstorm Watercolor Terrain;

add 4 cc mouse blood and a soft boiled egg, enjoy!
:D

warpstorm
Oct 22, 2003, 04:30 PM
If DYP added custom resources you may need to juggle the order of searched directories so that their resources show up instead of mine.

Thanks, mrtn.

BTW, moderately detailed instructions on how to use the search folders are included in the editor help (with an interesting example ;) )

warpstorm
Oct 22, 2003, 04:31 PM
Oh, yeah.

Stay tuned for the Conquests version...

Colonel Kraken
Oct 22, 2003, 05:34 PM
Rock on, Warpstorm. Always a fan. (Of your artwork that is) ;)

--CK

warpstorm
Nov 04, 2003, 06:52 PM
Hopefully I will get C3C tomorrow. If my changes all work with the final version I'll release a Conquests version real soon. Even if there are issues, I'll probably have a version out by this weekend.

Ankka
Dec 27, 2003, 07:51 AM
Well, any chances of getting it? Looks good, and I'd like to try it out on C3C...:)

[Edit] Just realised a link in your sig to the C3C version...:blush: Sorry o bump this up.

general_kill
Apr 09, 2004, 01:56 AM
wow... i'm speechless, this is a piece of art

Joselia
Apr 10, 2004, 07:53 AM
Have you ever thought of taking snoopy's terrain and making it watercolor style? That might be awesome. It would satisfy those who like snoopy's and your terrain at the same time! GENIUS I know.

Lord Jimbob
Apr 27, 2004, 03:54 PM
Warpstorm, I recently vowed to restrict my civ playing to GOTMs. However, your tileset is so visually engaging that I had to start a new game when I downloaded the modpack just so I could admire the beautiful terrain unfolding before my exploring jaguar warriors- thanks a bunch!
:thanx:

warpstorm
May 27, 2004, 04:45 PM
You are welcome/

MSTK
Jul 05, 2004, 11:35 PM
I think I'd like it if there was more blending between land and shores. IMO the beaches look too sharp.

warpstorm
Jul 06, 2004, 02:10 PM
That was very intentional and a lot of work to add. I was trying to get the look of some old maps where the land/water line (and in fact, nearly all details) was usually done in ink and the color painted on afterwards with watercolors. These maps typically had a thicker darker waterline on the shore. I personally think the beaches were my favorite part. As always beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Tycho Brahe
Jul 08, 2004, 05:23 AM
Hopefully I will get C3C tomorrow. If my changes all work with the final version I'll release a Conquests version real soon. Even if there are issues, I'll probably have a version out by this weekend.

That sounds great :goodjob: Iīm using your PTW-terrain and wouldn't dream of changing back. :)

I suppose that a C3C-version means that you have added your own volcanos and marshland? Are there changes beyond that?

mrtn
Jul 08, 2004, 05:27 AM
Tycho, please check the date of posts. Warpstorm released the C3C version the same week C3C was released. You find the link in his signature. :)

Alone
Jul 09, 2004, 10:03 PM
@ Joselia I support your idea :) but it's not new and I don't know the reason, but feeling somehow that it will not happened :(
Anyway you can mixed those two (or 3) kind of graphics (like Warpstorm terain and Sn00py's wood/jungle) as I did in my game. I know it's not the same like when everything would be "unificatied" but thats the best that you can get for now.

@ MSTK Oposite I really LIKE that part of the Coastal area (agree with Warpstorm), I would sugest even to add the same "sharp line" on some tiles that still don't have it (if I recall correctly) like when the wood/jungle are tile on coast. (But it's too much work I supose..)

warpstorm
Jul 10, 2004, 11:12 AM
Oh, I've fiddled with mixing my style and Snoopy's. It looked pretty good. I just don't have the time to do it right currently.

Alone
Jul 10, 2004, 12:06 PM
Oh, I've fiddled with mixing my style and Snoopy's. It looked pretty good. I just don't have the time to do it right currently.
So when you find the time.. :mischief: .. I have the feeling that would be my favorite :)

Ankka
Jul 10, 2004, 12:29 PM
Sounds very good. :)

Tycho Brahe
Jul 14, 2004, 10:34 AM
Tycho, please check the date of posts. Warpstorm released the C3C version the same week C3C was released. You find the link in his signature. :)

Solly :blush: But somehow I got the PLW-version when I downloaded a few weeks back :confused: Well, my mistake, I just thougt it was the newest I got.

mrtn
Jul 14, 2004, 01:52 PM
Solly :blush: But somehow I got the PLW-version when I downloaded a few weeks back :confused: Well, my mistake, I just thougt it was the newest I got.This thread is for the PTW version. Warpstorm has another thread for the C3C version. As I said, look for the link in his signature. :)

commodified
Jun 10, 2005, 05:05 PM
I just installed Conquests and then the 1.22 patch. I downloaded Warpstorm's watercolor mod for conquests and replaced the Cities folder, the Terrain folder, and resources.pcx. Now Conquests won't open, although I don't get any error message.

Looking through the Cities and Terrain folders that come in the mod, I noticed that they have many more files than the default ones. Is this a problem? Can somebody assist me?

Ansar
Jul 09, 2005, 09:57 PM
Can we even install it in C3C? :confused:

mrtn
Jul 10, 2005, 06:59 AM
Yes .

Kyriakos
Jul 16, 2005, 06:09 PM
Very very nice :D i will definately be using it ;) it suits my cities more than snoopy's i think.

Left
Jul 16, 2005, 07:26 PM
Those cities contrast great with the sharp lines against the watery background.

tjedge1
Jul 17, 2005, 06:45 PM
I'm going to be using the Water color terrain for my FE II mod. Well, the C3C version anyway.

warpstorm
Jul 28, 2005, 08:19 PM
Can we even install it in C3C? :confused:

Use the version for C3C and you can.

Ansar
Jul 29, 2005, 04:37 PM
Can you show a pic of an empire? Im almost convinced to download it. I just gotta see how my empire would look. :p

warpstorm
Jul 29, 2005, 06:17 PM
I don't have it on this computer, but this thread has a few pictures:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=42700

Thangorodrim
Aug 10, 2005, 12:31 PM
Do you know when your "watercolored" extended irrigation will come out? I'm really looking forward to those.

warpstorm
Aug 11, 2005, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure which irrigation that is. I've done a few differnet versions in the past. The conquests version has the one I like.

Kyriakos
Aug 11, 2005, 08:50 PM
Where is the link to your conquest watercolour terrain thread? your sig just has a dl file

warpstorm
Aug 12, 2005, 03:37 PM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=68080

Kyriakos
Aug 12, 2005, 04:49 PM
The screenshot there isnt working, at least i couldnt see it. Could you check if it is working or not? i will try later again :)

warpstorm
Aug 13, 2005, 06:23 AM
No, it's not. Hmmm... Well, in any case it doens't look much different from the vanilla/ptw version. It just has support for the new (well, they aren't exactly new anymore) tiles.

strhopper
Oct 07, 2005, 02:23 PM
Had to reinstall my civ3 but now I dont have the water color modpak
and your link for your download doesnt work

I need your graphics cant play with the standard ones lol

Good job by the way

The Last Conformist
Oct 07, 2005, 03:13 PM
The downloads section is down. Presumably, TF will have it back online soon.

strhopper
Oct 09, 2005, 12:51 PM
Got it to work finaly

Thanks for the info.

LordKestrel
Feb 15, 2008, 08:07 PM
Have you thought about making a version of this for Civ4? This was always one of my favorite graphics packs, I'd love to see a Civ4 version.

Ares de Borg
Feb 16, 2008, 06:53 AM
This thread was stone dead...

Goldfool
Feb 16, 2008, 07:15 AM
And you should be asking someone on the Civ4 forums to make this, most people on the Civ3 forums don't mod Civ4.

Underpaid
Feb 16, 2008, 11:41 AM
Whoa. 3-Year :bump:. I think that should be a record, or something.

warpstorm
Feb 22, 2008, 09:42 AM
Holy Thread Necromancy, Batman!

Thought about, yes. Unfortunately, one for Civ IV won't happen (I was too busy then and now). Maybe when Civ V comes out...no promises.

aaglo
Feb 22, 2008, 11:07 AM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/26592/threadnecro.jpg

I just had to post this - again :)
Because that terrain is the awesomest terrain of awesome terrains.