View Full Version : Put up with the advisor

vale
Jul 10, 2008, 10:22 PM
Ok. This is pretty embarassing to admit, but here goes.

I've played a months worth of the demo and a fair number of games on chieftain in that time. I always told the tutorial guy to buzz off immediately.

Today I was trying out the GOTW on chieftain and for whatever reason I just pressed B to speed through the advisor.

Well, when I went to micromanage my city I noticed I had 1 food and 1 hammer more than accounted for.

The second I told the advisor to buzz off, that bonus disappeared.

So for GOTW and stuff like that where you will play chieftain, do NOT turn off the tutorial mode. +1 food and + 1 hammer per city per turn is very strong (not 40% handicap strong but strong).

sigmakan
Jul 10, 2008, 10:47 PM
If I recall correctly with the demo though, if you don't tell him to buzz off then the landmarks disappear. I havent tried this in the real version, but if it remains true then its not quite worth it because I consider the landmarks to be more valuable.

vale
Jul 10, 2008, 10:56 PM
Really depends. Rarely do you discover more than one or two landmarks in a game and they are worth 10 gold one time(increases with age).

If you are trying for an uber fast domination win (ala GOTW), then the gold is probably best (did not know this thing about the landmarks). But for longer victory conditions the extra production alone would pay for itself many times over, even if you were going to discover every landmark on the map.

Did everyone know about this but me?

sigmakan
Jul 10, 2008, 11:02 PM
I remember noticing extra food and hammers in the demo, but I couldnt really pin it to something. Glad to know the reason now :)

vale
Jul 11, 2008, 02:05 AM
There is more. There seems to be a science (or maybe trade) bonus that you get when you hit a certain population. This is over and above the "work in city" workers. For instance when I had a pop 6 city that was working 5 coast tiles and a forest, it was generating 11 science.

I went back to the demo to see how much quicker you can go for long term victories with this bonus. I had some benchmark times there for finishing the tech tree. Anyway, it is much quicker. I didn't miss the landmark gold (much) since I didn't have to rush nearly as many things to achieve the same speeds.

Instead of finishing the tech tree in 550 AD, I was finishing it in 300 AD (that is 5 turns earlier which is pretty huge). And that was without too much thinking about optimization. A culture win would have been pretty easy in the very early ADs or late BCs if I had just switched to gold production once all the wonder techs were in and rush bought them across the empire.

Widowmaker313
Jul 12, 2008, 09:00 PM
How do you complete the tech tree so fast?! its usually 1500AD when I complete it, and then 1900's on Warlord.....Or maybe I just suck.

someguy486
Jul 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
Instead of finishing the tech tree in 550 AD, I was finishing it in 300 AD (that is 5 turns earlier which is pretty huge).

If you are finishing the tech tree by 550 AD it is time to up the difficulty.

Rixa
Jul 14, 2008, 02:07 AM
Yea, but in demo you cant up difficulty. Nice to know this advisor for the GotW.