View Full Version : Current avatar choices are the worst

Matrix
Jul 29, 2002, 04:15 AM
I just wish to say that I really don't like the current state of avatars. The choices should either be standard units of Civ1,2&3 only or to have the option of having a custom avatar, but these avatars are mostly plain ugly, IMO.

Knight-Dragon
Jul 29, 2002, 04:30 AM
I don't know, but they look alright to me (although PH's choices are plain ugly :D). To each, his/her own?

TF didn't want customized avatars and hence the current half-measure state of the large no of avatars fr Civ2 ToT and Civ2 scenarios. <shrugs>

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Jul 29, 2002, 04:44 AM
I happen to like the one I'm currently using, BeBro does beutiful work i think.

Lovro
Jul 29, 2002, 04:50 AM
I like current avatar choices. Not so much the civ1 ones, but the others are just fine.

duke o' york
Jul 29, 2002, 04:50 AM
I have no plans to change mine, but I like the avatars from scenarios. Star Trek and Star Wars fans are no doubt very keen to have the avatars. It works both ways. We get the choice of some beautiful, well-designed avatars and hopefully this will inspire fanatics to play the scenarios whence they came. :goodjob:

Dell19
Jul 29, 2002, 09:19 AM
Most of the avators seem to be fine and some of the strange avators come from Test of Time.

Fez_Monk
Jul 29, 2002, 09:25 AM
I like my tree thing avatar, but I would change it to a custom one if we got custom avatars. I think most of the avatar choices are good, but I am still in favor of custom avatars.

DaEezT
Jul 29, 2002, 09:26 AM
Well, about half a year ago I would have said that it should be custom avatars, but that "cute little green dude" (omg, did I really type that?) is fine with me now.. actually I kinda love him :love:

:lol:

Juize
Jul 29, 2002, 09:37 AM
IMHO, it's idiotical not to allow Custom avatars, because only Civ2 and Civ1 -avatars
had the goofy special style. But hey, I really don't care about avatars much anyway,
and after all it's TF's site, so I really make no big deal about it.

floppa21
Jul 29, 2002, 09:38 AM
Avatars should be banned along with all who speak of them. :D

baseballtwin86
Jul 29, 2002, 09:47 AM
Hmm, I am fine with the avatars here right now. I would like to have the GIMP, http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/GIMP.gif, but I also like my current avatar. Stop complaining please :D .

Matrix
Jul 29, 2002, 10:02 AM
If you have custom avatars, you can still use the avatar you use now. Perhaps you personally have no reason complain, but I do.

Indeed it's Thunderfall's site and I will respect his choices, but I do not like this choice.

spycatcher34
Jul 29, 2002, 10:05 AM
Well I would go for custom. Or even CIV ONLY cos right now I couldnt tell you what most of these avators are supposed to be.....

baseballtwin86
Jul 29, 2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Matrix
If you have custom avatars, you can still use the avatar you use now. Perhaps you personally have no reason complain, but I do.

Indeed it's Thunderfall's site and I will respect his choices, but I do not like this choice.

I understand completely with what you are saying. In fact, I find it easier to distinguish between posters with custom avatars and such. I wouldn't mind custom avatars at all.

floppa21
Jul 29, 2002, 10:28 AM
How can you distinguish between people with custom avatars? They change the damn things three times a day!!! That's a big drawback in my opinion, kinda like if we were allowed to change our usernames constantly...

baseballtwin86
Jul 29, 2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by floppa21
How can you distinguish between people with custom avatars? They change the damn things three times a day!!! That's a big drawback in my opinion, kinda like if we were allowed to change our usernames constantly...

Well, in my experience over at Gamecatcher, we hardly ever change avatars. It kind of like our fingerprint. Or if we do, we keep them for a long time, or the new avatars fall along the same subject matter as the previous avatar. But that is also a smaller community, which also makes a difference. I am really indifferent in this issue. I don't really care either way.

Switch625
Jul 29, 2002, 11:07 AM
There is a possibility. Make custom avatars like your username. Choose a good one, because that's the one you'll be stuck with forever. Would it be possible to have a custom avatar that cannot be changed? Or would that be an admin headache?

Switch625
Jul 29, 2002, 11:09 AM

Yo, floppy. Your argument doesn't track, because avatars can be changed daily anyhow. The only difference is that you can't BYOA.

floppa21
Jul 29, 2002, 11:19 AM
No no, we have a certain number of avatars. People generally stick with them once they pick them. For the most part.

If it is custom, then any picture I see on the www can be an avatar. People will be finding one they like every time they get online and changing them every time they get on CFC.

Your deal is the pentagon fort thingy. NOBODY uses that but you. If I see it, I know you posted. Now you change it to a picture of a cat. Then, a dog. Then a cool demon skull that is really ginchy. Next a segment of an orange. You like oranges. Then a horse because it is the coolest pic you ever saw of a horse. NOBODY will have an avatar and stick with it if Custom is allowed.

But this is probably all a moot point unless TF decides to go okay on it.

anarchywrksbest
Jul 29, 2002, 11:51 AM
If you don't have custom avatars there should be at least more choice rather than, 50 "guy on horse" and 50 "man with shield" I suggest adding FavouredFlight and er...Anarchywrksbest's latest graphics, they rock!!!!!!

gonzo_for_civ
Jul 29, 2002, 12:21 PM
All avatars should be from civ!! Who uses those stupid sci-fi avatars anyways!?!?!?!?

And floppa is right, people change custom avatars far more than these. I have changed mine 3 times(once to a gay ogre, don't ask it was only for a few days) and that is even a lot just because I was bored of seeing the same avatar day after day. I can honestly say that if CFC had custom avatars I would change it every time I found something better....so please, NO CUSTOM AVATARS!!

Matrix
Jul 29, 2002, 12:23 PM
Floppa21, there are always a few who change their avatar often, but eventually everyone will get tired of doing so. I don't think that will be very troublesome.

In any case, if we will get custom avatars, I got a fine one for you, floppa:
http://www.straland.com/junk/floppa21.gif

Edit: fixed URL of IMG. :rolleyes:

Kefka
Jul 29, 2002, 12:54 PM
Personally I still wan't Custom Avatars but its too bad that I'm actually getting attached to
<-----------This ugly thing :lol:

I have no Idea what it is! but I use it for three reasons.
1)no one else uses it,

2)and it helps me find myself in a large crowd

3)But most Importaintly I think it kinda looks like Atma Weapon :p half submerged in swamp water, cause of the vines.

floppa21
Jul 29, 2002, 01:16 PM

In any case, if we will get custom avatars, I got a fine one for you, floppa:
http://www.straland.com/junk/icon22.gif

Ooh Ooh!!! Can we have custom avatars TF?? PLEASE PLEEEEEEEASE!!!!! :p That would look awfully purdy though...

He's so big and beautiful... <sigh> :love:

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 01:24 PM
I would use my camel but SOME PEOPLE took it!!! :cry: It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't post in off-topic. :( *sigh*

Ok, just kidding strange-guy-who-stole-my-camel-avatar-and-now-posts-in-off-topic-so-I-have-to-have-this-knight-guy-as-my-avatar. :p ;)

Sodapop
Jul 29, 2002, 01:25 PM
:lol:

Personally I liked the system a year ago... Never had the chance to get to phalanx before you changed it though... :cry:

And please, please, only to prevent floppa from using that green face, no custom avatars!!!!!!!! ;)

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Unknown soldier
Personally I liked the system a year ago... Never had the chance to get to phalanx before you changed it though... :cry:

I liked that system too. :yeah:

damunzy
Jul 29, 2002, 01:30 PM
I have had to change my avatar a few times because people picked it where I was posting. Now I am the giant pulling a glowing dildo from his bum! :D

DaEezT
Jul 29, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by PaleHorse76
Now I am the giant pulling a glowing dildo from his bum! :D

The only thing that outshines your postcount is your dirty little imagination :p :lol:

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 01:35 PM
I have had to change my avatar a few times because people picked it where I was posting. Now I am the giant pulling a glowing dildo from his bum! :D

I know I'M not stealing that one. :crazyeye:

starlifter
Jul 29, 2002, 02:28 PM
by Becka:
I would use my camel but SOME PEOPLE took it!!! It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't post in off-topic. *sigh*

Ok, just kidding strange-guy-who-stole-my-camel-avatar-and-now-posts-in-off-topic-so-I-have-to-have-this-knight-guy-as-my-avatar

Becka, didn't you use the Civ 2 camel last year? I'm not sure if anyone is using that one or not. :)

floppa21
Jul 29, 2002, 02:45 PM
I liked Becka's camel also... :crazyeye: Dirty no good strange-guy-who-stole-my-camel-avatar-and-now-posts-in-off-topic-so-I-have-to-have-this-knight-guy-as-my-avatar guy... :nono:

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by starlifter
Becka, didn't you use the Civ 2 camel last year? I'm not sure if anyone is using that one or not. :)

Yes, but I liked the other camel better.

There was SOMEBODY who was using the civ2 camel, but I don't remember their name and maybe they just don't post anymroe. :eek:

Matrix
Jul 29, 2002, 04:19 PM
Becka, wasn't that TF? Or am I blabbing it now? :o
Now I am the giant pulling a glowing dildo from his bum! :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No wonder he looks so pissed. ;)

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 05:10 PM
Becka, wasn't that TF? Or am I blabbing it now? :o

He did, but at least he eventually gave it back. :p

Thunderfall
Jul 29, 2002, 05:16 PM
My position on this custom avatars issue has wavered a bit. Keep up the whining and I might eventually let you have custom avatars! ;)

If I do change my mind and allow custom avatars, what do you think should be the size and dimension limits? Under 5 KB and not greater than 80x80 pixels? Nearly all the avatars we have now are under 3 KB.

Beam
Jul 29, 2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Thunderfall
My position on this custom avatars issue has wavered a bit. Keep up the whining and I might eventually let you have custom avatars! ;)

If I do change my mind and allow custom avatars, what do you think should be the size and dimension limits? Under 5 KB and not greater than 80x80 pixels? Nearly all the avatars we have now are under 3 KB.

:D In that case. Would animated gif be allowed?

Lovro
Jul 29, 2002, 05:56 PM
If I do change my mind and allow custom avatars, what do you think should be the size and dimension limits? Under 5 KB and not greater than 80x80 pixels? Nearly all the avatars we have now are under 3 KB. Those sound good. I'm against custom avatars, but should you decide to allow them (you should definitely poll on it), we don't want them to (size) make the loading process slower and (dimension) make the site look worse (although custom avatars would, IMHO, do that themselves).

Switch625
Jul 29, 2002, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm... interesting quandry. If TF tosses the towel on custom avatars, then I have a choice to make. I'm pretty much comfortable with the oddball pentagonal thingy, but I do so want to use the Babylon 5 shield as an avatar. See it? Pretty!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/Bab5Shield.jpg

I'd have to resize it, naturally, but that's not a problem.

Decisions, decisions...

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 06:13 PM
Possible custom avatars? o_O

THE SKY IS FALLING!

It'll never be the same. :(

If you did nudge on custom avatars, will you implement a certain number of posts you'd have to have?

baseballtwin86
Jul 29, 2002, 06:32 PM
Hmm, animated gifs should be allowed. I can't have my GIMP image without twitching eyes ;) . I think that the avatar size limit should be under 5 kb, maybe even 4 . My animated GIMP only takes up 2 and a half.

Fez_Monk
Jul 29, 2002, 06:41 PM
Hmm..if we get custom avatars, I'll use this:

More ninja pics!

Though it will have to be cropped a bit.

gonzo_for_civ
Jul 29, 2002, 06:45 PM
:lol: :lol: @ fez monk!!!!

And to becka: I agree that there should be a limit you have to reach before getting custom avatars.

If it attracts spammers...well...... :sniper:

damunzy
Jul 29, 2002, 06:50 PM
Yeah, make the limit 4,000 posts. ;)

I like the idea on limiting the size....when I get a rare chance to view from work I would hate to have huge pictures showing up on the screen. :)

starlifter
Jul 29, 2002, 06:52 PM
I pretty much agree with Lovro and Becka, e.g., I hope we don't do custom avatars. One thing I find annoying at some sites are the intrusive Avatars. A BBS is for posting, not gaudy icons.

Well, if custom avatars are even remotely being considered, they sould be restricted to :

1. 60x60 Pixels (larger is intrusive... should be a "calling card" for a poster, not a distraction or page delayer!).
2. Two (2) K maximum!! Nothing larger is necessary. Really, one (1) K should be the norm, but 2 K to be charitable.
2. Non-animated.
3. Non-offensive (the usual... no swastikas, no religious desecrations, blah blah)
4. Post count (somewhere from 1,000 to 2,000 range).
5. In good standing.

#5 would be an option for Mod discussion, e.g., deny/remove user custom avatar for improper behavior. Also, if a member was Perm-banned, it would be removed.

starlifter
Jul 29, 2002, 07:00 PM
by baseballtwin86
Hmm, animated gifs should be allowed. I can't have my GIMP image without twitching eyes . I think that the avatar size limit should be under 5 kb, maybe even 4 . My animated GIMP only takes up 2 and a half.

@TF: Not to pick on BBT86, but one of the most fundamental and profound mistakes that could even be conceived is to allow animated anything as an avater.

Animated = :nono:

People do not come to CFC to see custom animated Avatars... maybe at a Photoshop or ULead GIF Animator site, but not CFC.

Switch625
Jul 29, 2002, 07:00 PM
2,000 posts for a custom avatar is way too many. 1,000 might be closer, but I think 500 would be appropriate. The mods would be able to quash a rampant spammer before they reach 500-1,000 posts I would think.

EDIT: I agree with Starlifter that animated avatars are a bad idea. I've seen other sites allow them, and some of them get d*mned annoying. Very distracting.

damunzy
Jul 29, 2002, 07:03 PM
Bah, I say give it out at 50...there are a lot of lurkers and 50 is a pretty easy to gain mark.

I think animated is good but I would settle for non-animated and not b****....too much. ;)

#5, Good standing.....too much work for the mods...or more apropriately. the site admin.

My current avatar is 1769 bytes and 63x50 something...1K is pretty small...60x60 isn't too bad....actually I like that better than 80x80...the whole small on the screen thing...I just want to be able to quickly tell people apart.

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Switch625
2,000 posts for a custom avatar is way too many. 1,000 might be closer, but I think 500 would be appropriate. The mods would be able to quash a rampant spammer before they reach 500-1,000 posts I would think.

EDIT: I agree with Starlifter that animated avatars are a bad idea. I've seen other sites allow them, and some of them get d*mned annoying. Very distracting.

500? Blech! Let's not copy apolyton. :p

Sanaz
Jul 29, 2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Becka
I would use my camel but SOME PEOPLE took it!!! :cry: It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't post in off-topic. :( *sigh*

Ok, just kidding strange-guy-who-stole-my-camel-avatar-and-now-posts-in-off-topic-so-I-have-to-have-this-knight-guy-as-my-avatar. :p ;) I have a camel - was that yours? I never looked at it, my wife picked it out from when she was young. Or is there a different strange camel stealing guy?:egypt:

Switch625
Jul 29, 2002, 07:19 PM

500? Blech! Let's not copy apolyton. :p

I wouldn't know Apolyton from Adam. I don't know their policies.

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Sanaz
I have a camel - was that yours? I never looked at it, my wife picked it out from when she was young. Or is there a different strange camel stealing guy?:egypt:

Yes, yes it was. Seems the camel was very popular with women. :D :yeah:

Switch625
Jul 29, 2002, 07:22 PM
Post deleted.

Sanaz
Jul 29, 2002, 07:23 PM

Yes, yes it was. Seems the camel was very popular with women. :D :yeah: OK, it's yours again. I was nervous I'd steal yours again, I didn't check it before changing.:)

Becka
Jul 29, 2002, 07:26 PM
OK, it's yours again. I was nervous I'd steal yours again, I didn't check it before changing.:)

Oh no no no no no no! You don't have to change it! :eek: I like my horse. :eek:

starlifter
Jul 29, 2002, 07:44 PM
by PaleHorse76:
60x60 isn't too bad....actually I like that better than 80x80...the whole small on the screen thing...I just want to be able to quickly tell people apart.

Yup, I totally agree with that... avatars are good primarily for telling people apart. I get used to a person's avatar, and use it to scan without having to read.

An example is Smash's (the one that looks like a robed figure).... but then others started using it, and you could no longer pick out "his" posts quickly.

PH76 should not be allowed to change his, because he has so many posts and it would be too confusing to get used to another avatar for him again! ;)

In general I think a high post count (I said 1000-2000 before, but maybe 500 is OK) should be kept, partly because a high PC person will, by definition, have lots of posts which a unique icon can help sort out. Low PC people already get the privilege of customizing the line below their name :).

Thunderfall
Jul 29, 2002, 08:59 PM
If we allow custom avatars...

I would make the prerequisite to be 100 posts and 100 days -- 10x the requirements for custom titles. ;)

Knight-Dragon
Jul 29, 2002, 09:17 PM
So, has the decision being made, TF? :) Maybe you can run a trial first or something, to see how things will be working out.

OT, I don't have any problems either way. Here to post and read other ppl's posts, not to 'admire' avatars. ;)

Fez_Monk
Jul 29, 2002, 09:33 PM
Knight-Dragon:"Here to post and read other ppl's posts, not to 'admire' avatars. "

Would you admire this avatar?

Knight-Dragon
Jul 29, 2002, 09:46 PM
I'll make an exception in that case. :D But such 'avatars' will not see the light of day, bearing in mind site policies and stuff.

damunzy
Jul 29, 2002, 10:04 PM
yeah, I like the pic and all, but man...could you imagine surfing this site at work. :D I can avoid the babe thread while at work but if an avatar like that pops up....something else might also! ;)

I like your avatar TF :

Switch625
Jul 29, 2002, 10:09 PM
Okay, how did PH get that avatar?? Has the decision been made, and if it has, how do we go about getting a custom avatar?

Thunderfall
Jul 29, 2002, 10:10 PM
monk, you are not helping Matrix quest for custom avatars by posting that pic. :D
I like your avatar TF
Yours looks pretty cool too also. Is it from a Romance of Three Kingdoms game?

damunzy
Jul 29, 2002, 10:14 PM
Yeah, it is Sun Jian. I think you disabled the ability for me to change....I still have this one but I was trying out other ones and all the options were gone.

Knight-Dragon
Jul 29, 2002, 10:29 PM
No fair, why is PH the only one with a custom avatar (apart fr TF)? :)

I've seen this pix somewhere. Can't remember which RoTK ver though.

Juize
Jul 30, 2002, 01:15 AM
TF, I would bet 10 000 $ that your avatar is stolen from Shi Huangdi (sp?) aka
Black Dragon, from Apolyton.

KD : Maybe the avatar limit is 4 000 posts? :satan:

Seriously, Custom avatar limit should be 1 000 post's and 100 days.

gonzo_for_civ
Jul 30, 2002, 01:59 AM
NOOOO!!!!! WHY ARE YOU BREAKING DOWN TF!!!!!?????? YOU SAID NO!!!!

I thought you were TF the unchangeable! You are dissapointing me!! Floppa21 come here! I need backup, our great leader is falling to the rebels. It must be yuri, mindcontrolling him.....

Actually custom avatars are fine as long as they require 9999 posts and are only 1 pixel, much like they are now :D

Dell19
Jul 30, 2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Juize
KD : Maybe the avatar limit is 4 000 posts? :satan:

Well I just checked, but there doesn't seem to have been any changes...Perhaps you have to be a former Moderator as well or be top of the spam league.

Juize
Jul 30, 2002, 03:12 AM
Actually custom avatars are fine as long as they require 9999 posts and are only 1 pixel, much like they are now

What the dell to you have against Custom Avatars, anyways?

DaEezT
Jul 30, 2002, 03:27 AM

Seriously, Custom avatar limit should be 1 000 post's and 100 days.

Admit it, you chose the 1000 posts number to keep me outta your weird custom avatar club... *sniff*
you're always so mean to me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Juize
Jul 30, 2002, 03:32 AM
Admit it, you chose the 1000 posts number to keep me outta your weird custom avatar club... *sniff*
you're always so mean to me

You're weird... and a dirty spammer. :p

52 post's? 2 points:

(1) It's easy as dell by that spam rate :P
(2) You gotta earn it, like everyone else

Ren
Jul 30, 2002, 03:57 AM

No wonder you didn't want to be a 'möd' any more :rolleyes:

what do you think should be the size and dimension limits

I don't care, as long as I can fit my avatar :D http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/renavatar1.gif

Ok ok, so I've changed my tone, but I'm still happy if you don't want to add custom avatars...I've become quite attached to my AEGIS Cruiser, which is used by 1 other user I think...

If you did nudge on custom avatars, will you implement a certain number of posts you'd have to have?

Spam! This one doesn't get my vote, a day limit would be a better idea :)

Originally posted by Fez_Monk
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads/avatar1_copy.jpg

:goodjob:

Sorry about the long post with a lot of quotes, I came in late :(

gonzo_for_civ
Jul 30, 2002, 04:05 AM
What the dell to you have against Custom Avatars, anyways?

Look at PH's and you will see. They are hideous, and that is one of the nicer ones. I like avatars that use basic colors like the civ avatars, when you go photo quality and add more and more pixels to the mix it looks like **** when mixed with all of the nice, neat looking avatars. Not to mention for people on dial-up, all the custom avatars are stored in cache and loading is realatively quick, with custom there will be new avatars to load a lot more often and will slow downloading.

Juize
Jul 30, 2002, 04:08 AM
Look at PH's and you will see. They are hideous, and that is one of the nicer ones. I like avatars that use basic colors like the civ avatars, when you go photo quality and add more and more pixels to the mix it looks like **** when mixed with all of the nice, neat looking avatars. Not to mention for people on dial-up, all the custom avatars are stored in cache and loading is realatively quick, with custom there will be new avatars to load a lot more often and will slow downloading.

LOOK AT THOSE TOT -AVATARS! AND CIV3 -AVATARS! THEY DON'T HAVE THE CARTOON STYLE THAT WE LIKE!

Goddammit. If I add a EU-flag to Civ2 unit, could I use it? :love:

Matrix
Jul 30, 2002, 04:55 AM
That 100 posts/100 days is a good idea, TF! ;)

And I'll change my avatar once and never again myself. ;)

http://www.straland.com/images/DoomPlayer.gif

By the way, I think it's a good idea not to allow animated gifs. However, that GIMP looks very nice and quiet. ;) 60x60 or 80x80 doesn't matter much. 4k or something like that should be the limit. :)

baseballtwin86
Jul 30, 2002, 05:31 AM
By the way, I think it's a good idea not to allow animated gifs. However, that GIMP looks very nice and quiet. ;) 60x60 or 80x80 doesn't matter much. 4k or something like that should be the limit. :)

Well, I can prevent his eyes from twitching :) . Plus that would bring down the size to just under 2 kb :D . I am willing to compromise ;) .

Juize
Jul 30, 2002, 06:39 AM
NO animated avatars - No compromises.

I agree, 80x80 and 4kb.
Is it possible for people to not to see other's avatars? :hmmm:

DaEezT
Jul 30, 2002, 07:35 AM

Is it possible for people to not to see other's avatars? :hmmm:

Yes, there is a option for that in the user cp.

spycatcher34
Jul 30, 2002, 07:42 AM
Gah I think the limit should be at LEAST 80x80 but pref like 100x100 And the kb would be like 3500 and uh #post would be )What else?) 1337

Knight-Dragon
Jul 30, 2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Dell19
Well I just checked, but there doesn't seem to have been any changes...Perhaps you have to be a former Moderator as well or be top of the spam league. TF and PH are testing it out. ;) No official word on it yet.

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 07:56 AM
Nice pic FezMonk but where does an Asian chick get those? :rolleyes: ;)

If this happens, MATRIX has to help me!!!! Hook me up with my smug jay leno smiley as I am technologically inadequate, please... And if the posts requirement is 100 and I am PC Reducted... :eek: Will the whole system will shut down?

Yah, Gonzo, what the hell's goin on here? You bum TF, don't do it!!! Willpower!!! Get some dang it!!! Ban em all! :D :confused:

starlifter
Jul 30, 2002, 07:59 AM
BTW, 80x80 and 4kb is way way too big.... 60x60 (max!) is all that is necessary for an avatar. Maybe 2.5 or 3K for filesize.

The function of an avatar is to help identify a post, not to intrude to slow surfing, esp. overseas connection and/or dial up. For art (anything bigger than 60^2) instead of icons that people want others to see, post to an OT thread, and if people wanna go see it, they will ;).

Also, the avatar change frequency should be limited to once... for similar reasons that you can't change your username at will. Naturally, a change would be allowed when a poster reaches the threshhold for a custom avatar. In other words, choose a compliant avatar (proper size, etc.) and stick with it.

(maybe yearly changes would be OK.... if a BBS hack can set such parameters; if not, maybe a "window" of say 2 weeks in Januaries where the master setting could allow all posters to change Avatars again).

Juize
Jul 30, 2002, 08:17 AM
Starlifter is much wiser and older than me, and I sense wisdom in his post above...
(Sound's corny, but fits my feelings right now :floppa21: )

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by starlifter

Also, the avatar change frequency should be limited to once...

I definitely agree here...

(Sound's corny, but fits my feelings right now :floppa21: ) WHAT??? :confused:

spycatcher34
Jul 30, 2002, 08:24 AM
He must have meant to put the smug smilie :smug:

Knight-Dragon
Jul 30, 2002, 08:31 AM
Just wondering - how big is 60x60 or 80x80? Are these in milimetres or something? :confused:

baseballtwin86
Jul 30, 2002, 08:33 AM
I think he means pixels.

Thunderfall
Jul 30, 2002, 09:42 AM
That 100 posts/100 days is a good idea, TF!
It looks like the custom avatar feature only depends on postcounts, unlike the custom title feature. :( I guess we can make the requirement to be 300 posts instead (if we allow custom avatars).

Floppa & Starlifter: There is no way to limit the frequency of avatar changes.

TF, I would bet 10 000 $ that your avatar is stolen from Shi Huangdi.
Shut up, Juize! I got it from a Civ2 scenario. You may want to right click on his and my avatars to check the image dimension. Chance is they are different because I cropped the dragon from the units.gif myself.

ainwood
Jul 30, 2002, 10:04 AM
Does the custom avatar post count limit prevent you setting up a custom avatar, or changing one?

If the latter, you could always perma-reduce everyones postcount below 300 once they get their custom avatar (to prevent them changing it).

That would actually be quite interesting to watch!

Switch625
Jul 30, 2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by ainwood
Does the custom avatar post count limit prevent you setting up a custom avatar, or changing one?

If the latter, you could always perma-reduce everyones postcount below 300 once they get their custom avatar (to prevent them changing it).

That would actually be quite interesting to watch!

Floppa would like it.

Matrix
Jul 30, 2002, 10:41 AM
Yes!! Thanks a lot, TF! (Even though I already did that through ICQ. ;))

Well, here's for the good old days. ;) Reason I also chose it is because I am yet undefeated with Doom. :D

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 10:50 AM
Matrix, you gonna hook me up there in another 70+ posts? :)

Switch625
Jul 30, 2002, 11:07 AM
Hmmm. The B5 shield doesn't look so good. I don't have time to mess with it right now, but I will probably change it when I have time.

BTW, Thanks TF! :goodjob:

Edit: forget it. It sucked. Back to the old for now.

Thunderfall
Jul 30, 2002, 11:22 AM
GIVE ME CUSTOM AVATORS OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!
It's time to change your signature, Spycatcher. ;)

spycatcher34
Jul 30, 2002, 11:29 AM
Ha see people you can now all praise me. ;)
:goodjob: Tf

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 11:31 AM
:cry: Spy changed her sig??? :cry: My army has dropped to three... Or is it two? :cry:

Dang TF! So like, if I started a thread in OT called SPAM and spammed it up to get my pc up to 300, would you wait to ban me and reduce my PC until AFTER I set up my custom avatar with Matrix? :) Or would AOA and Lefty swoop down on me? They'd delete my posts as I made them so my PC wouldn't go up I bet...

spycatcher34
Jul 30, 2002, 11:42 AM
Sorry floppa there ya go it's back. :p

I just know EVERYONE Adores my new avator RIGHT!? :D

baseballtwin86
Jul 30, 2002, 11:44 AM
Very interesting spy ;) . Hmm TF changed his avatar again. Is that twice in the same day :) . And floppa, I am still a member of your army :D .

Switch625
Jul 30, 2002, 11:45 AM
Have pity on poor floppy. His actual postcount is 1278, so that ought to buy him some mercy.

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 11:52 AM
:eek: It IS??? How'd you ever figure that out?

Switch625
Jul 30, 2002, 11:56 AM
:eek: It IS??? How'd you ever figure that out?

Elementary, my dear floppa. Click on the "profile" button above one of your posts, and then select "search for all posts by this user." It will show the number of results, and that is how I found your actual postcount. :cool:

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 12:01 PM
Ah so... Veddy observant grasshoppa... :) I didn't think to try that...

Thunderfall
Jul 30, 2002, 12:14 PM
floppa, I gave you back your postcount. Feel free to use a custom avatar. ;)

Sorry, but I am not going to reset your postcount anymore... it's.....misleading. :D

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Jul 30, 2002, 12:18 PM
So the avatars are twofold, give the public what it wants, and f*ck over Floppa! :yeah:

anarchywrksbest
Jul 30, 2002, 12:19 PM
Hmmm, i notice people have been switching avatars a lot. If you are like me you were looking for the perfect one.

ThunderFall changed his a few time and what did he choose? The one he had originally :rolleyes:

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Jul 30, 2002, 12:20 PM
Only because I told him on MSN his last one looked limp wristed. :p

starlifter
Jul 30, 2002, 12:54 PM
Looks like Thunderfall came up with a pretty reasonable compromise bwtween BBS technical capabilities, overall user desires, and minimal BBS disruption. It'll be the Wild Wild West for a while, as we get used to people's new Avatars.

Demographics

---> There are currently exactly 251 people at CFC that qualify, as of this moment, with 300+ posts.

---> 23 others have 280-299 posts.

:)

Knight-Dragon
Jul 30, 2002, 12:59 PM
floppa, I gave you back your postcount. Feel free to use a custom avatar. ;)

Sorry, but I am not going to reset your postcount anymore... it's.....misleading. :D I'd love to see the expression on floppa's face when he finds out his PC had been permanently reset to 1000+. :D And it would never be reduced again, ever. The ultimate revenge.

Kefka
Jul 30, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Knight-Dragon
I'd love to see the expression on floppa's face when he finds out his PC had been permanently reset to 1000+. :D And it would never be reduced again, ever. The ultimate revenge.
It might look kinda like your Avatar :lol:
on another note:
I think this tread is kinda usless not :rolleyes: cause if you still think the Current Avatar Choices are the worst, your expecting something that dosen't exist, as the Avatar choices now are the best. :)

Narz
Jul 30, 2002, 01:18 PM
How does one reduce the size of an avatar to be able to be usable. I can't seem to get mine below 10K! :(

Thanks,
Narz :king:

starlifter
Jul 30, 2002, 01:18 PM
by Spycatcher34:

Ha see people you can now all praise me.

by Spycatcher34:

I just know EVERYONE Adores my new avator RIGHT!?
;) ;)

---------------------------------------
floppa21
Perma PC Reductee

---------------------------------------
http://www.civfanatics.com/uploads/icon22.gif

:)

anarchywrksbest
Jul 30, 2002, 01:22 PM
To NARZ.........

I resized mine using MSpaint but since you have a Mac I dunno??

Make sure you are saving it as a .gif though, this makes it VERY small

baseballtwin86
Jul 30, 2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Narz
How does one reduce the size of an avatar to be able to be usable. I can't seem to get mine below 10K! :(

Thanks,
Narz :king:

Try saving it as a JPEG. I use GIMP ('http://www.gimp.org') for saving my files, because it gives me the choice of what size to save the file as. I would suggest checking that program out. :)

Becka
Jul 30, 2002, 01:24 PM
I put up with insufferable little children at a bookstore, fight my way through the Wal-Mart crowds, go home, then have to go BACK to Wal-Mart and then come back home AGAIN, and when I'm finally done, and I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere again today I find out....WE GOT CUSTOM AVATARS?! :cry:

Now I'm going to have to spend all day looking for the perfect one that's the right size.....

Narz
Jul 30, 2002, 01:28 PM
Wow, alot of people browsing this thread! I will check out GIMP. By the way, wheres a interesting place to browse avatars?

Ohwell
Jul 30, 2002, 01:34 PM
WTF?? I come back and we have custom avatars!!!! :eek:

:crazyeye: I need a really long vacation.

Knight-Dragon
Jul 30, 2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Ohwell
WTF?? I come back and we have custom avatars!!!! :eek:

:crazyeye: I need a really long vacation. Why? To emulate me? :) To search for the ultimate avatar?

In my case, figured TF would break down 1/2 a day before when he began talking about it; so did my search hours before the announcement. :D Ain't I smart?

Sanaz
Jul 30, 2002, 01:49 PM
I put up with insufferable little children at a bookstore, fight my way through the Wal-Mart crowds, go home, then have to go BACK to Wal-Mart and then come back home AGAIN, and when I'm finally done, and I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere again today I find out....WE GOT CUSTOM AVATARS?! :cry:

Now I'm going to have to spend all day looking for the perfect one that's the right size..... Since you can have a custom one, and I can't, I'm going back to the camel.:)

- strange-guy-who-stole-your-camel-avatar

Becka
Jul 30, 2002, 01:55 PM
Since you can have a custom one, and I can't, I'm going back to the camel.:)

- strange-guy-who-stole-your-camel-avatar

No problem. :yeah:

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 03:00 PM
THAT'S STRAIGHT UP JACKED. :nono:

Yaaay! I still got the coolest avatar ever! Thanks Matrix!

damunzy
Jul 30, 2002, 03:33 PM
Hmm...your avatar used to by 666 Bytes, floppa....now it is 733 Bytes. Did you do something to it?

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 03:40 PM
:confused: Nothin... I have no technical savvy... Is it too big? I figure if it was, it wouldn't allow me to use it? 666 is a nicer number than the 733 though...

Matrix
Jul 30, 2002, 04:05 PM
Yaaay! I still got the coolest avatar ever! Thanks Matrix!
My pleasure. ;)

The picture has a different resolution than at first (something lower than 65x65); I changed that. That's what makes it 733 bytes instead of 666. ;)

You know what's funny? I can change your avatar to anything I want, at any time. :D :D :D

Oh, and I tried to make it more smooth, but that only makes it much uglier. :o

Sodapop
Jul 30, 2002, 04:21 PM
What??? :eek: More than one year of membership and I can't get it... Hmmmmmm. Well the first me to tell me I'm a spammer gets :spank: :D

P.S. Couldn't you go back to the old system instead??? :cry:

floppa21
Jul 30, 2002, 04:37 PM
Oh no, the future of my avatar happiness is in Matrix's hands... :cry: And whattaya mean "only makes it much more uglier"?!?!?!! It is not in the slightest UGLY!!!

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Jul 30, 2002, 05:04 PM
Actually, TF asked me this afternoon what I thouht about custom jobs, we talked a bit about what to limit, and size, and he made up his mind in like 30 seconds to allow them.

anarchywrksbest
Jul 30, 2002, 05:14 PM
So far i think I have the best avatar, second would be Matrix with is EXCELLENT "Doom Guy" Very Nice ;)

BTW AoA, I like A-Team but that pic kinda sucks.........

**Attention this post contains BLATANT Mod ass licking/kicking**

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Jul 30, 2002, 05:57 PM
I like it.

anarchywrksbest
Jul 30, 2002, 05:59 PM
Hey, no fair! Do you have some sort of collection??

BTW That one is better ;)

I had about 5 before i settled on mine.........

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Jul 30, 2002, 06:03 PM
That show is 20 years old, the scan pics on the net are pathetic, I have been unable to find a nice, clear Hannibal to work with.

The main problem is the limit is so small, photo resolution is lost as the pics shrink to fit.

gonzo_for_civ
Jul 30, 2002, 10:33 PM
No, the scan pics were dropped in the ammonia on Murdoch's floor at the nut house. :D

Fez_Monk
Jul 30, 2002, 10:40 PM
I finally found an avatar that fits my nick!

My avatar is a helluva fez!

duke o' york
Jul 31, 2002, 03:53 AM
What the heck is your avatar supposed to be Fez-young-fella-me-lad? It just looks like a black splodge.

I have to agree with the thread title now though. I thought 'ploy had gone grey and I'd got horribly lost this morning. Oh well, I suppose all good things must come to an end. Enjoy the novelty while it lasts folks! :D

Juize
Jul 31, 2002, 04:03 AM
Is Fez_monk the same guy as Fez on the certain other forum?

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Jul 31, 2002, 10:46 AM
No, Fez on apolyton is Giancarlo, Fez Monkey is a different fellow altogether.

Juize
Jul 31, 2002, 10:51 AM
No, Fez on apolyton is Giancarlo,

I know he WAS Giancarlo, but had no idea that we had Giancarlo in CFC...