View Full Version : Finally won as Deity

Chinese American
Jul 21, 2008, 01:48 PM
I finally beat Deity this weekend, several times even. It's quite easy if you go all out domination. I rarely built buildings other than barracks.

First stage. Stop the AI from expanding. If you're on a continent with two or three other civs, try to stop them from starting new cities. When you meet a new civ, make peace with them. Put a warrior or caravan that you found at a village right at isthmuses so that their units cannot advance. They will be locked into a small peninsula. Meanwhile you can roam the majority of the continent, hopefully.

Second stage. Build settlers at the isthmuses noted in the first stage. Save your money and connect the cities with roads. Since you are at peace, their units cannot advance beyond your cities.

Third stage. Build an army. In the beginning, I suggest Horsemen. A horseman army can defeat pretty much everything in ancient and medieval and has fast movement. Later build catapult and knights as you get those techs.

Fourth stage. Conquer cities. It's easier to manage one civ at a time. The AI spends more time growing their capitals, so when you capture them, your civilization automatically expands by that much. If you stay with domination, just churn out more units. You can also turn the capitals into gold or science cities.

Fifth stage. Victory. After you control the continent, finish off the game. Usually domination is not far away, since you already have captured 2 or 3 out of 4. The remaining civs are probably on another continent. So they have had a lot of time to research and their techs are probably ahead of you. Good news are they are stupid, you're not far behind, and you have 10+ cities under your control by now. Bad news is they probably have riflemen and other modern techs. So you have to research Combustion and build tanks in order to win by domination. I haven't tried the other victories, but it helps if you turned the captured capitals into gold or science cities. The next easiest victory is probably economic.

KAZUY4
Jul 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
Congratulations :). Now try again but with a Cultural or Tech victory, then you are going to have fun. Domination is way to easy at any level. A good game is a game with Romans/American and Japanese as adversaries, then you will have a lot of fun try to catch them in tech, gold or culture.

Sard
Jul 21, 2008, 04:38 PM
I won my first deity game this weekend too. I ended up with a tech victory even though I was going for culture as the French. I must admit I had to reload numerous saves to go back and correct my mistakes as I went along. It was a very satisfying win though. :D

Bismark96
Jul 22, 2008, 02:33 PM
Got two wins on Deity so far, one with the Aztecs and one with the Romans. Both were pretty tight at the end, and I had the Indians competing turn-for-turn with me for a technology victory (beat them by about 6 years).

Started a run with the Germans, but it's not looking good. The French have a huge jump on me and the only land I had to settle is smack in the middle of the Japanese and the Indians. Also, the worst: got a message that "some other" civ discovered Atlantis. This is only in the early part of the game, so it's most likely Spain. Not loving my chances.

Bismark96
Jul 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
Landed an economic victory with the Germans. I was going to go for the domination (economic and domination are the only two types of wins I didn't have on Deity), but the Greeks started trying to go for a tech victory so I had to change plans. I switched everything to gold harvesting and hit the 20,000 piece mark in about 5 or 6 turns, then had my workhorse city build the bank in about 7 turns. Still gave me time to nuke Kyoto.

PeanutR
Jul 25, 2008, 04:38 AM
Thats funny, my first three deity victories were tech, eco and cultural as either the aztecs or japs, i don't remember. I guess different playing styles makes those kinds of victories easier for me :)

My first ever game as zee germans was on diety and i got a great leader right around when i was researching democracy. That was gg right there, all i needed was the city he was settled in to keep pumping out those elite legions and then start teching up. Dunno how exactly to get a great leader tho, so luck was on my side on that one :)

My strategy on diety almost always revolve around having one or two punchbag cities and specializing the ones left alone as fast as possible. I try to build temples in all my cities too, and establish a wonder pump close to my frontlines in order to flip some cities for free.