View Full Version : Caveman 2 Cosmos

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

Argroww
Dec 19, 2010, 10:31 PM
Ahh, thanks.....although I take that will mean me starting a new game.

sav
Dec 20, 2010, 03:57 PM
This mod looks interesting... but before I use so much of my cap downloading it, I must know... what are the turn times like? If it's as bad as RoM/AND, then I'll have to say no... I can't see how it wouldn't be.

Argroww
Dec 20, 2010, 04:02 PM
As far as I can tell, it has MORE stuff in it...although in some cases rather than more, it's different, so yes turn times are likely to be similar.

I like what I've found so far, barrign the odd bug I reported earlier, currently play testing with the 6000BC start date.

Unfortunately due to the fact that I play on a standard build and pretty old laptop then even a standard map starts to get a little difficult to play on roughly half-way through the game, first gets slow and then starts hitting MAFs too reguarly to be abel to keep playing, so I have to play on a Tiny map to be able to actually get to the end of the game. Don't blame the mod for that though.....heh....these mods have ruined the vanilla game for me!!!

WimpyTheWarrior
Dec 21, 2010, 01:10 AM
This mod looks interesting... but before I use so much of my cap downloading it, I must know... what are the turn times like? If it's as bad as RoM/AND, then I'll have to say no... I can't see how it wouldn't be.

QUICK ANSWER
On turn 663 out of 1625 (2511 BC @ Marathon speed) Gigantic ROM_Terra, 24 civs, it takes 35 seconds between turns. My PC has a WinExp rating of 5.7

MORE DETAIL
First my machine. It's a Intel dual core 3.0GHz with 8G memory running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9800T w/ 512M memory. My Windows Experience Rating is 5.7. If you have Vista or Win 7 then the Windows Experience Rating is the best benchmark.

Now my game settings. I play on Gigantic ROM_Terra maps at Marathon speed. You will need a 64 bit O/S with 8G memory to run this mod IF you like to play on Gigantic maps. Loading all those new buildings, tech, units, graphics, religions, etc. takes memory, and lots of it. You can't have too much memory if you want to SuperSize your Civ experience, especially the modpacks that load lots of new objects.

Loading the game takes about 2 minutes when you first launch the application. If you run Windows Task Manager and add a column PF Deltas (Page Faults) on the Process tab, you'll see that the Civ3 process is thrashing the disk. That's all the reading of XML files and buidling memory objects. Play a game of Freecell while you wait.

Now (finally!) for the answer you're looking for. I'm on turn 663 and there are 23 other Civs and about 50 odd cities on the map. (the other Civs are slow to expand w/ this mod). I'm on turn 663 out of 1,620 turns, roughly 2500 BC. It takes 35 seconds from when I click End Turn to when I free to do something.

So look at your PC and map size and speed and adjust from there.

Since the mod is based on RoM/AND and you don't like the turn time for that mod, you probably won't be satisified with this mod's turn time.

Despite that, consider downloading it and playing the Pre-historic era. It's a very different game experience from what you're used to. The animal hunting and capture is very unique. Create a small map and a quicker speed and see how you go.

I also have a capped ISP and do the downloads in non-peak hours. See if your ISP gives additional limits for non-peak use.

strategyonly
Dec 21, 2010, 01:17 AM
@WimpyTheWarrior

Fantastic answer, thank you so much, and Have a great day.;)

EDIT: btw does ANYONE have the Germany/Nazi modular with FPK from the older NWA mod, i need it.:(

strategyonly
Dec 25, 2010, 12:20 AM
updated: 25 Dec 10, 1:15 am

Lots and lots of changes to the Prehistoric Age techs, plus tons of new buildings;)

Happy Saturnalia and:newyear:

sav
Dec 25, 2010, 12:29 AM
Very good answer, and so prompt! I'm glad someone finally responded to one of my turn-time questions. Still, 35 seconds between turns when I'm sitting here with my laptop (desktop has no graphics card, bit the laptop has 4gb RAM - 32bit OS with the 3gb switch and ATI graphics) is just a bit much - especially so early in the game.

I tend to play five Civs on small map (or tiny, PerfectWorld2, which I think equates to small), and more Civs arrive through barbarian evolution.

Even on those settings, the turn times get intolerable. Guess I'll stick with the simpler mods!

Good luck with yours, cheers for the response :)

MrHeisenberg
Dec 25, 2010, 05:43 AM
Hi, Thanks for all your work!

With the new version i get a crash to desktop as it's playing the james bond music. I can get AND 1.75 to work perfectly well and met the hardware requirements listed on the front page.

strategyonly
Dec 25, 2010, 07:38 AM
Hi, Thanks for all your work!

With the new version i get a crash to desktop as it's playing the james bond music. I can get AND 1.75 to work perfectly well and met the hardware requirements listed on the front page.

If you are getting the James Bond music, then your on the OLD version, which is no longer used.

btw Welcome to CFC.

MrHeisenberg
Dec 25, 2010, 08:20 AM
Sorry i should say "mission impossible" theme song.

strategyonly
Dec 25, 2010, 08:24 AM
Sorry i should say "mission impossible" theme song.

Best thing to do then is, re-start your computer then try playing it again, more than likely something went wrong. maybe the d/l?

But i have started more than 100 games and nothing goes wrong. So i know its not the mod.

EDIT: This should be corrected in the BuildingClassInfo file:

<BuildingClassInfo>
<Type>BUILDINGCLASS_SACRIFICIAL_ALTAR</Type>
<Description>TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SACRIFICIAL_ALTAR</Description>
<iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
<iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>
<iMaxPlayerInstances>1</iMaxPlayerInstances>
<iExtraPlayerInstances>0</iExtraPlayerInstances>
<bNoLimit>0</bNoLimit>
<bMonument>0</bMonument>
<DefaultBuilding>BUILDING_SACRIFICIAL_ALTAR</DefaultBuilding>
<VictoryThresholds/>
</BuildingClassInfo>

WimpyTheWarrior
Dec 25, 2010, 05:33 PM
Download complete @ 19:30 25 Dec US EST. Launched on Gigantic ROM_Terra, Marathon, Monarch. Ahhh, a new world to explore! Will advise of any unexpected bonus features (aka "bugs")

For the downloaders, be sure to Test the download in WinRAR. My first download was corrupt. Download worked fine on my other PC, but I am getting odd errors on my gaming PC with many applications. Now is a good time to do your semi-annual CHKDSK.

And while I'm in my grandfatherly nagging mode (apologies for that) if you use WinRAR regularly then go ahead and purchase it. Nothing wrong with shipping a few dollars to programmers that make our lives easier.

Happy holidaze from warm Sydney!

- WtW

jimboy3100
Dec 25, 2010, 07:12 PM
strategyonly thanks for your mod, i think it will be really great. I am downloading it right now.

2 questions only:

a. are there buildings like in ROM that can cause up to 75% more city maintenance? ROM is really a good mod but when i play i consider to avoid makinf 5-6 buildings that cause more city maintenance (One of them is paved roads)

b. Caveman 2 Cosmos:
Are there a lot of things on the cosmos futuristic area? I suggest to be a science tree in the main thread.

WimpyTheWarrior
Dec 25, 2010, 08:01 PM
strategyonly thanks for your mod, i think it will be really great. I am downloading it right now.

2 questions only:

a. are there buildings like in ROM that can cause up to 75% more city maintenance? ROM is really a good mod but when i play i consider to avoid makinf 5-6 buildings that cause more city maintenance (One of them is paved roads)

b. Caveman 2 Cosmos:
Are there a lot of things on the cosmos futuristic area? I suggest to be a science tree in the main thread.

a) Yes there are buildings that increase maintenance, but less in C2C (25 Dec) than in NWAPreH (@25 Nov). In NWAPreH the early defensive buildings carried maintenance but this is removed from C2C.

I also avoid maintenance buildings except in the core cities near the capital. I did build the Paved Roads once in the capital and came out positive. My capital was coastal with trade route bonuses that magnified the paved road benefit.

b) Yes there are lots of things in the futuristic area, but I'm not qualified to comment since on my speeds and map sizes I haven't gotten that deep before another release comes out.

strategyonly
Dec 26, 2010, 12:03 AM
a) Yes there are buildings that increase maintenance, but less in C2C (25 Dec) than in NWAPreH (@25 Nov). In NWAPreH the early defensive buildings carried maintenance but this is removed from C2C.

I also avoid maintenance buildings except in the core cities near the capital. I did build the Paved Roads once in the capital and came out positive. My capital was coastal with trade route bonuses that magnified the paved road benefit.

b) Yes there are lots of things in the futuristic area, but I'm not qualified to comment since on my speeds and map sizes I haven't gotten that deep before another release comes out.

You are correct below, and thx.

Caveman 2 Cosmos:

Ask and you will receive: see attachment at bottom of page.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7175010&postcount=2

Tech costs per Grid (Tech): Prehistoric Era only:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10034339&postcount=491

Also you need to see alot of what Hydromancerx is doing: He is a great thinker:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9975299&postcount=343

strategyonly
Dec 26, 2010, 06:19 AM
If you want NEW things that are coming and discussions that are being made pls Visit this :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377892

Right now i have a new BuildingsInfo there, if anyone wants it, i used the OLD one, sorry all:(

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10050599&postcount=535

jimboy3100
Dec 26, 2010, 07:50 AM
thanks a lot for eveything, i will play tonight really a lot...

dreadknought
Dec 27, 2010, 01:14 AM
Looks fantastic, just downloaded and I noticed that I get around 6 bug options failed writing notes every turn which then tales up some screen space and you have to look through that as you play, any way to min. that box, thx.

strategyonly
Dec 27, 2010, 04:14 AM
Looks fantastic, just downloaded and I noticed that I get around 6 bug options failed writing notes every turn which then tales up some screen space and you have to look through that as you play, any way to min. that box, thx.

You know that you need to play with NO logging on ok, if you play WITH logging on you will get errors sometimes, because its a HUGE mod, doesnt really mean anything is wrong its just hard on the memory.

In your My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV (Config Setting)

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 0

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 0

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 0

btw thx for trying the GREAT mod.

Dancing Hoskuld
Dec 27, 2010, 11:04 AM

It may also indicate that you do not have the correct access rights to the folder Caveman2Cosmos since BUG and other mods write information to .ini files.

tchristensen
Dec 27, 2010, 12:28 PM
Great looking. Can't wait to test it out.

I am always interested in new units and new technologies.

dreadknought
Dec 27, 2010, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=strategyonly;10053154]You know that you need to play with NO logging on ok, if you play WITH logging on you will get errors sometimes, because its a HUGE mod, doesnt really mean anything is wrong its just hard on the memory.

In your My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/CivilizationIV (Config Setting)

; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 0

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 0

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 0

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

Thx, I believe that is it, a while back someone had asked me to log errors as I playtested a mod and I forgot all about it, lol, thx, I am playing extreme mod right now but my son started this mod, I really have several in a backlog to play, but this does look really great and I will get to it in time:goodjob:

Elucidus
Dec 28, 2010, 02:21 PM
I tried to turn off those logs on mine, to no avail. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I verified I didn't miss anythign you listed. anything else I need to disable, perhaps?

strategyonly
Dec 28, 2010, 02:37 PM
I tried to turn off those logs on mine, to no avail. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I verified I didn't miss anythign you listed. anything else I need to disable, perhaps?

Dang i forgot about this one, thx for asking:

; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0

should be:

; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 1

Also, a newer BuildingInfo file: (Changes Palace commerce)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10056028&postcount=583

Elucidus
Dec 28, 2010, 03:09 PM
Actually if I read the error it might help. It says it can't write the BugOptions ot their ini files. Not sure how to turn that off. Any ideas?

Dancing Hoskuld
Dec 28, 2010, 03:40 PM
Actually if I read the error it might help. It says it can't write the BugOptions ot their ini files. Not sure how to turn that off. Any ideas?

This means that you don't have the correct access to the folder! If you are using Vista or Windows 7 you need to do something to allow you to write the BUG ini files.

Elucidus
Dec 28, 2010, 03:46 PM
Thhat's weird, it happens on two out of three computers and the accounts are admin accounts? Wonder if user access control is enabled on them and that is causing the problem. Thanks I will look more into this.

Elucidus
Dec 28, 2010, 04:39 PM
figured it out, I had problems with my civ on the other computers so i just copied all of the files from my other computer. This also overwrote the permissions. Sorry, thanks for your help.

strategyonly
Dec 29, 2010, 06:34 AM
A little good info about video memory loss:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10059542&postcount=4419

ScreamAimFire
Dec 30, 2010, 08:00 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble with the MOD. I didn't have any problem downloading it, to my understanding, but what is weird is that it takes a little long to start up. When it does, it takes an unusually long time on: init XML (uncached). But it does finish. But when the welcoming screen comes on, where is says "Caveman to Cosmos" on a banner, it just stays like that with no menu. It seems as if the menu isn't there, but it is there because I started clicking everywhere and it gives me the icons for loading (man running?) and resizing. The MOD sounds awesome, and I really want to play it already So I'd appreciate any help.

WimpyTheWarrior
Dec 30, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble with the MOD. I didn't have any problem downloading it, to my understanding, but what is weird is that it takes a little long to start up. When it does, it takes an unusually long time on: init XML (uncached). But it does finish. But when the welcoming screen comes on, where is says "Caveman to Cosmos" on a banner, it just stays like that with no menu. It seems as if the menu isn't there, but it is there because I started clicking everywhere and it gives me the icons for loading (man running?) and resizing. The MOD sounds awesome, and I really want to play it already So I'd appreciate any help.

Welcome to the CivFanatics Forums!

This mod takes a long time to start; I play a game (or 3) of Freecell while I wait. Eventually the mod will finish loading and pop over my Freecell. Then I know I can start.

Have a look above at msg #1004 (Msg ID at the right top side of each post) where I describe my machine, startup times, and also turn times. Compare your machine, especially your WinExp rating and your main and video memory, and adjust from there.

And this mod is definitely worth the startup wait.

strategyonly
Dec 30, 2010, 11:29 PM
Also make sure that you have at least the minimum requirements:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7175018&postcount=7

Panda_Power
Dec 30, 2010, 11:32 PM
Hello all,

I've decided to revisit Civ 4 after a long break and found this mod, which sounds amazing! I'm currently downloading it now.

Can anyone recommend basic settings or configurations because I haven't played in a while and the bug options can be a bit overwhelming! Any "must-have" settings?

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!!:)

WimpyTheWarrior
Dec 31, 2010, 12:23 AM
Hello all,

I've decided to revisit Civ 4 after a long break and found this mod, which sounds amazing! I'm currently downloading it now.

Can anyone recommend basic settings or configurations because I haven't played in a while and the bug options can be a bit overwhelming! Any "must-have" settings?

Thanks and Happy New Year to everyone!!:)

You are correct this is an amazing mod. In regards to recommendations, what aspects of Civ-4 do you enjoy? Tell me how you play and I'll do my best to advise.

I can think of two quick examples:

If you like like early combat make sure "Start as minor civ" is enabled. You cannot have a peace treaty until you and the opponent both research writing. But if early combat bugs you then make sure this is off.

If you like cultural spread you will probably not like "Realistic Culture Spread", because it is m_u_c_h slower. It can be frustrating when you want that stone to come into your empire, your city expands, and misses the stone! But this means that early culture buildings are more valuable, so if you like to build, Build, BUILD!!! then maybe this option will please you.

Hydromancerx
Dec 31, 2010, 02:12 AM
Custom Games are a must when you play this mod. The settings I use are as follows ...

Map: Perfect World 2 (I like how it forms realistic biomes)
Size: Standard (My computer cannot take anything bigger or I get memory allocation errors).
Era: Prehistoric (You need to get the full effect from the beginning)
Speed: Snail (Anything faster is just too fast for this mod. I would do Eternity but its too slow for me).
New World Rules: Start in Old World (This makes it so I can found colonies later)
Pangaea Rules: (Either Choice is fine. I have yet to see an advantage to either other than more land wars on Pangaea)
Wrap Options: Cylinder (I just like this setting)
Team Rules: (I don't play on teams so it doesn't matter)

Options (Only listing the ones I check off)
- City Flipping After Conquest (I like how you can get back cities with culture)
- Start As Minor Civ (This is a MUST!! I love this option.)
- Multiple Production (Can help out not to waste hammers on overflow)
- Multiple Research (Not sure how this helps but I use it anyways)
- Usable Mountains (This is such an awesome mod. Not sure why its not just required.)
- Fixed Cultural Borders (Whatever. It sounds cool so I use it.)
- Surround and Destroy (I have not used it much but it sounds cool).
- Advanced Diplomacy (It makes AI interactions so much more interesting)
- Barbarian Generals (Makes them more fun to battle)
- Assimilation (This is such a cool feature. t makes my empires really feel like I have conquered other cultures. Plus getting their Unique units is spiffy as well.)
- Great Commanders (Makes battles more fun)
- Culturally Linked Starts (I am not sure if this always works out. But it sounds good in theory)
- Personalized Maps (Helps me keep track of locations on the map. Also it gives it a more personal touch).
- Advanced Economy (Not sure how it works, but it sounds cool).
- Realistic Culture Spread (I find this makes the game a bit more challenging. Which I like.)
- Larger Cities (A must have if you are going all the way to the Trans-Human Era)
- Religious Decay (A must have since there are TONS of types of religions.)
- Barbarians Always Raze (I have been trying this out. Not sure what I think of it.)
- United Nations (A must have if you pick Mastery Victory)
- Advanced Espionage (Come on its spies! Why would you not want this?)
- Guilds (Makes the most out of the Medieval Era.)
- Modern Corporations (Makes the most out of the Modern Era)
- Advanced Nukes (Shout out to Civ Fuehrer and his awesome mod!)

Victories (Only listing the ones I check off)
- Mastery (This is all you need sicne its all of them combined into one.)

Panda_Power
Dec 31, 2010, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I like early combat and I like building and I like slow games and staying in each era for a good amount of time, so I'll be checking both those options.

@Hydromancerx....thanks for taking the time to list the options you like and why you like them....it's a great help!

Not having much luck with my download so far! I went out and came home to find my PC had crashed and had to start the download again. It seemed fine when I left and only had 45 minutes left. The 2nd time is much slower and is currently going to finish in 8 hours! Pity. I really don't want to register and pay AtomicGamer just to download one file. I guess their servers are just busy. I'm sure this mod will be worth the wait though!:)

Bezhukov
Dec 31, 2010, 09:14 AM
My map is dark - is that intentional? Could it have something to do with Blue Marble terrain?

Bezhukov
Dec 31, 2010, 12:49 PM
Weird, I used restore defaults under the graphics menu, and started a game and it was fine. Went back to start a new game (with slower techs) and got the dark map again, now even when I load the save that was working it gives me the dark map.

Any ideas?

strategyonly
Dec 31, 2010, 02:00 PM
Weird, I used restore defaults under the graphics menu, and started a game and it was fine. Went back to start a new game (with slower techs) and got the dark map again, now even when I load the save that was working it gives me the dark map.

Any ideas?

Try shutting off your machine for 10 seconds and then re-start, try loading the mod, while it is loading, press and hold down the SHIFT key, till you get the C2C logo, see if that works:confused:

Dancing Hoskuld
Dec 31, 2010, 02:24 PM

Any ideas?

Optionally clear the cache file, I have found this works with a number of graphic glitches.

Bezhukov
Dec 31, 2010, 02:30 PM
Optionally clear the cache file, I have found this works with a number of graphic glitches.

How do I do this, again?

Dancing Hoskuld
Dec 31, 2010, 03:01 PM
Hold down the shift key while loading Civ IV. Or delete the cache folder from the "Documents and Settings/<user name>/Local Settings/Application Data/Beyond the Sword" folder which is on my C: drive and replace <user name> with your computer name

Bezhukov
Dec 31, 2010, 05:33 PM
yeah, doesn't work. too bad, was really enjoying the one time I got it to work, just everything went too fast so was looking forward to trying in on a slower speed.

Forests show up fine, but all the ground/coast is black. If I toggle on yields, the icons show up grey.

Panda_Power
Dec 31, 2010, 07:42 PM
Not having much luck with my download so far! I went out and came home to find my PC had crashed and had to start the download again. It seemed fine when I left and only had 45 minutes left. The 2nd time is much slower and is currently going to finish in 8 hours! Pity. I really don't want to register and pay AtomicGamer just to download one file. I guess their servers are just busy. I'm sure this mod will be worth the wait though!:)

Woke up this morning...happy new year!!....and my download had finished. Installed it and played a bit and all looks perfect! The work that's gone into this mod is just stunning....2GB!!

Well done and thank you!:)

I've been reading through some of the forums and it seems that a lot of people have video memory problems with Civ 4 the same as people are having with the new Civ 5.

I'm playing on snail pace and using the settings that Hydromancerx & Wimpy the Warrior recommended, but in some other posts people have referred to civ rev on or off and how that can impact performance.

What do they mean by rev?

CiverDan
Dec 31, 2010, 07:57 PM
Having a problem trying to extract the files after downloading. Trying to extract to the Programs (x86) folder where BTS/Mods is (using windows 7) and am getting the following error very soon after starting the extraction:

Extracting Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custo m_Religions\Jainism\JainShrine_CIV4ArtDefines_Buil ding.7z Unable to create file

File is shown as being zipped within the zip file. Not sure how that is handled via unzipping.

strategyonly
Dec 31, 2010, 09:01 PM
Woke up this morning...happy new year!!....and my download had finished. Installed it and played a bit and all looks perfect! The work that's gone into this mod is just stunning....2GB!!

Well done and thank you!:)

I've been reading through some of the forums and it seems that a lot of people have video memory problems with Civ 4 the same as people are having with the new Civ 5.

I'm playing on snail pace and using the settings that Hydromancerx & Wimpy the Warrior recommended, but in some other posts people have referred to civ rev on or off and how that can impact performance.

What do they mean by rev?

Its actually Revolution mod, but the one AND uses, i believe is RevDCM mod.

Having a problem trying to extract the files after downloading. Trying to extract to the Programs (x86) folder where BTS/Mods is (using windows 7) and am getting the following error very soon after starting the extraction:

Extracting Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Custo m_Religions\Jainism\JainShrine_CIV4ArtDefines_Buil ding.7z Unable to create file

File is shown as being zipped within the zip file. Not sure how that is handled via unzipping.

Dont worry about that file(s), i have four TEST religions in the game right now and thats just one of them.;)

Hydromancerx
Jan 01, 2011, 02:37 AM
@ CiverDan

Hey I remember you from the HAND thread. Thanks for your past fed back back then. All that was in HAND is included in C2C. Just thought you should know.

I'm playing on snail pace and using the settings that Hydromancerx & Wimpy the Warrior recommended,

Awesome! Let me know how things go. All feedback is helpful since I can only test so much myself.

Panda_Power
Jan 01, 2011, 05:02 AM
Awesome! Let me know how things go. All feedback is helpful since I can only test so much myself.

Well I just entered the ancient era after about 700 turns in the prehistoric era and it was great! I love the whole subdue animal thing and sending them back off to your city where they can do things.

One thing, a lot of the options for the animals required "carnival" and I can't find the tech where you can build that. Where is it?

Really enjoying the mod so far and snail pace is a good game speed. I've been hovering between 1st and 2nd place throughout the game and I'm playing on noble....I think I need to up the difficulty.

I do have a general question about the mod. I was reading the features for ROM AND and it mentioned xUPT where you could specify the maximum number of units per tile you wanted. Is that also included in this mod?

CiverDan
Jan 01, 2011, 05:09 AM
Don't think you understood entirely, I am unable to continue with the extraction following the error message and can't seem to remove the file from the archive (it tells me I cannot delete this file type) or bypass it some other way.

Clicked off "unzip entire file" and got farther but got this message: Extracting Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Text\007_CIV4GameText.xm l Unable to create file

Again am unable to continue the process after this point. Maybe there is some issue with Window 7? The mod extracted fine under my old XP machine.

Panda_Power
Jan 01, 2011, 06:00 AM
Hi CiverDan,

I use Windows 7 and the downloaded file extracted without any problems. Is it possible your download got corrupted?....oh forget that...you said it extracted fine before on XP! Sorry can't help.

Regarding my xUPT question...it's OK now, I found it in the BUG options (ctl+alt+O) Does anyone use that? I'm gonna try the 1UPT like Civ 5 and see how it works with Civ 4! I'm not that keen on the stacks of doom!

WimpyTheWarrior
Jan 01, 2011, 06:19 AM
Don't think you understood entirely, I am unable to continue with the extraction following the error message and can't seem to remove the file from the archive (it tells me I cannot delete this file type) or bypass it some other way.

Clicked off "unzip entire file" and got farther but got this message: Extracting Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\XML\Text\007_CIV4GameText.xm l Unable to create file

Again am unable to continue the process after this point. Maybe there is some issue with Window 7? The mod extracted fine under my old XP machine.

I am using Vista Ultimate 64 bit and it took a few attempts to get a clean download. You can test the rar file using WinRAR and if you get errors you have to attempt the download again. If the WinRAR test is successful and the extract fails then we can focus on the Windows aspects of your difficulties.

At one point I ended up de-compressing on a Vista 32bit machine, then zipping the folder from that Mod directory and using a USB drive to deploy the mod to my game machine. My grunty gaming machine seemed to experience more download errors. Weird.

Hi CiverDan,

Regarding my xUPT question...it's OK now, I found it in the BUG options (ctl+alt+O) Does anyone use that? I'm gonna try the 1UPT like Civ 5 and see how it works with Civ 4! I'm not that keen on the stacks of doom!

I set xUPT at 10, for no particular reason. The AI in this mod is slow to expand, and will build large stacks of slingers in the prehistoric era, as you have no doubt discovered.

Chariotry is the Tech that unlocks the Carnival. Try to have a Carnival animal in the same city as your Hunting Lodge, and you can get Recon units (Hunters) with lots of XPs to start with. I also put a Carnival in my Artist GP farm city to start building Artist GP points. For the Artist GP farm I don't bother with any of the cages, but I do build the cages for the Hunting Lodge city, to get as many Recon XPs as possible.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod and the hunting.

Hydromancerx
Jan 01, 2011, 06:47 AM
Well I just entered the ancient era after about 700 turns in the prehistoric era and it was great! I love the whole subdue animal thing and sending them back off to your city where they can do things.

One thing, a lot of the options for the animals required "carnival" and I can't find the tech where you can build that. Where is it?

Really enjoying the mod so far and snail pace is a good game speed. I've been hovering between 1st and 2nd place throughout the game and I'm playing on noble....I think I need to up the difficulty.

I do have a general question about the mod. I was reading the features for ROM AND and it mentioned xUPT where you could specify the maximum number of units per tile you wanted. Is that also included in this mod?

1. Well the subdue animals are Dancing Hoskuld's baby, so thank him. Glad you like it. I like it too.

2. I don't recall which tech is for the "carnival" but if you look in civlopedia I am sure you can find your answer.

3. Yeah. If you need to find your difficulty I suggest you select option at the beginning of the game that will either increase or decrease the difficulty of the game as you play. If you are falling behind it will get easier. If you are on the top then it will get harder.

4. Yes you can in the BUG menu (CTRL+ALT+O) found in the upper left. Then select the "A New Dawn" tab. It has some awesome choices like "Terrain Damage" which I always use since I feel it make the game more realistic to have the deserts and tundra do damage to my units. It also makes them natural barriers. Flood Plains turn out to be the only way to get across a huge desert without dying (or a desert promotion).

CiverDan
Jan 01, 2011, 08:04 AM
Was able to transfer the file from my XP file that I had downloaded and it runs now. Only problem is I'm getting a list of a bunch of BUG INI errors referencing the user settings subfolder that take up half of my screen and wont go away. Saw the same thing with an earlier version of NWA that I loading on this machine as well. Might be an issue with BUG, though I d/l the new BG version and tested it with the base game and did not have a issue, so unsure of the source of the glitch.

EDIT: just read the previous page. Will try to disable any access control on them somehow.

Got it working now. turned down the access comtrol on the UAC settings and it seemed to do the trick.

jimboy3100
Jan 01, 2011, 02:10 PM
i had the same errors with you when i was playing the new dawn but now with the C2C mod i don't have any errors...

What is weird with all the mods i play is that the units icons change when i click on them.
For example on C2C the elephant animals on the prehistoric age are like the warrior elephants but when they attack they seem like elephants. The same is with worker and the other units...

strategyonly
Jan 01, 2011, 02:29 PM
EDIT: just read the previous page. Will try to disable any access control on them somehow.

Got it working now. turned down the access control on the UAC settings and it seemed to do the trick.

Yes, infact i have mine set to OFF completely. Also make sure you are running as Administrator.

i had the same errors with you when i was playing the new dawn but now with the C2C mod i don't have any errors...

What is weird with all the mods i play is that the units icons change when i click on them.
For example on C2C the elephant animals on the prehistoric age are like the warrior elephants but when they attack they seem like elephants. The same is with worker and the other units...

Are you playing with low graphics on by any chance?

WimpyTheWarrior
Jan 01, 2011, 02:30 PM

I also occasionaly have this error. I am able to work around it by selecting the original Civ-4 options (Ctrl-O), Graphics tab, and enabling Single Unit Graphics. I vaguely recall I get this error more often if I have Low Graphic Level options selected, but I have not tested to conclusively identify the root cause.

See if any tweaking in the Graphics options makes it go away.

jimboy3100
Jan 01, 2011, 02:36 PM
Are you playing with low graphics on by any chance?

Yes. Actualy i have a good graphic card http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/civ4/strength.gif but it plays on low graphics... Should i change this?

strategyonly
Jan 01, 2011, 02:43 PM
Yes. Actually i have a good graphic card http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/civ4/strength.gif but it plays on low graphics... Should i change this?

Its really up to the player to what they want to play, but if you want the original unit to match the unit then i suggestion to play on High. (This is just MY opinion.:p

btw, thx for trying this great mod!!

jimboy3100
Jan 01, 2011, 02:54 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2553/c2cp.jpg

strategyonly
Jan 01, 2011, 04:42 PM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/2553/c2cp.jpg

I like the pic of the caveman but dont understand the rest of the pic, sorry.

I saw one of, dont know who made it, where some of the words were in like a Wooden plank, or something like that for AND.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 01, 2011, 04:48 PM
Yes. Actualy i have a good graphic card http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/civ4/strength.gif but it plays on low graphics... Should i change this?

It depends, on my machine I have had to go to lowest settings to get to the industrial age! Otherwise I get all sorts of graphic glitches and video memory errors every 3-5 turns!

jimboy3100
Jan 01, 2011, 05:02 PM
I like the pic of the caveman but dont understand the rest of the pic, sorry.

I saw one of, dont know who made it, where some of the words were in like a Wooden plank, or something like that for AND.

It is a person who "believes" in his ancestors...

I made them for AND.

Some pictures i made
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3469/129280222314340211.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2116/129280237611202101.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/1005/129280502019398255.jpg
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2762/rise20of20mankind.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6864/cooltext490062427.png
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8011/129318759015009645.jpg

Can I make some for C2C?

depends, on my machine I have had to go to lowest settings to get to the industrial age! Otherwise I get all sorts of graphic glitches and video memory errors every 3-5 turns!

It is a big game and C2C is a big mod...

CiverDan
Jan 01, 2011, 06:42 PM
I went from a 900Mhz 1 GB RAM to 3 Ghz 4 GB RAM with my new PC, literally night and day with this mod. C2C loads in under a minute now.

jimboy3100
Jan 01, 2011, 07:18 PM
CiverDan so ram is more important than graphic card?

strategyonly
Jan 01, 2011, 07:25 PM
CiverDan so ram is more important than graphic card?

Yes memory is more important, but have at least a 256 MB video card. All really depends on what PC OS you have also.

Some suggested requirements:

It is a person who "believes" in his ancestors...

I made them for AND.

Some pictures i made
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6864/cooltext490062427.png
Can I make some for C2C?

It is a big game and C2C is a big mod...

Definitely, like i said, i didnt know you did them but like i said i really like the WOOD grain texture one, but in doing for C2C dont need and other reference to other mods, no offense to them (because they are the backbone (base) of the mod already). Dont need the options on the left either. The tech tree, nope, the pic on the right, nope, the stuff on the bottom, nope.

But the others would be just plain fun to look at, maybe "we" YOU can make some for a LOADING images, i did that for one MOD once, it had like 10-15 pics all of different things as the mod was loading for people to look at, was kind of nifty.

Hydromancerx
Jan 01, 2011, 07:47 PM
But the others would be just plain fun to look at, maybe "we" YOU can make some for a LOADING images, i did that for one MOD once, it had like 10-15 pics all of different things as the mod was loading for people to look at, was kind of nifty.

They are probably the wrong size but I do have some "loading images" from Empire Earth. These are taken from when the game installs. However in the manual it has a picture for every era. Too bad they are in black and white and I have no idea where they all are in the game.

EDIT: I found another good one. However this was off the web.

strategyonly
Jan 01, 2011, 08:57 PM
They are probably the wrong size but I do have some "loading images" from Empire Earth. These are taken from when the game installs. However in the manual it has a picture for every era. Too bad they are in black and white and I have no idea where they all are in the game.

EDIT: I found another good one. However this was off the web.

I really like these, but with the Caveman2Cosmos (wood grained name) would even be better on stuff.
Like half rounded, kinda.

jimboy3100
Jan 01, 2011, 10:04 PM
the logo with the wood is etremely easy:

just choose any logo and font of your choice http://cooltext.com/Logo-Design-Slab

for example:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7451/cooltext492983614.png
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3139/cooltext492984600.png
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6370/cooltext492984610.png
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3139/cooltext492984600.png

Hydromancerx has nice pictures, i can do many photos but i don't know if they fit for being loading images.

example

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6238/12939706051215015.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6816/funphotobox012339s2rnyb.jpg

in my opinion there can be pictures from all eras

Healz
Jan 01, 2011, 10:17 PM
What if you offered those as a separate download that people could download if they wanted? I know there is not a lot of alternative loading screens for Civ IV at the moment. Perhaps some of these could be done as both ordinary BTS and C2C screens if that is not too much trouble. I have never liked the loading screen they had. To me an image of a broken sword with a musket or pistol on the menu screen would have been more appropriate to a title like beyond the sword than what they had. Is that possible to make a loading screen with a club, a sword, a musket and a pistol or rifle on the screen to make a better statement of mankind's development through the ages?...

Hydromancerx
Jan 01, 2011, 10:43 PM
@jimboy3100

What the heck is that from? Why is there a lady with a bucket? That's like so random!

jimboy3100
Jan 01, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hydromancerx you must reload to see the second picture in the spoiler, i just made it :)

Healz i agree with you, also a comment inside the photo with "great man's" wise words would be great in my opinion

strategyonly
Jan 02, 2011, 12:25 AM
the logo with the wood is etremely easy:

just choose any logo and font of your choice http://cooltext.com/Logo-Design-Slab

for example:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/7451/cooltext492983614.png
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/3139/cooltext492984600.png
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6370/cooltext492984610.png
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3139/cooltext492984600.png

Hydromancerx has nice pictures, i can do many photos but i don't know if they fit for being loading images.

example

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6238/12939706051215015.jpg
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/6816/funphotobox012339s2rnyb.jpg

in my opinion there can be pictures from all eras

Thx looks great, but i think Caveman 2 Cosmos looks better, what say you Hydro/Dancing H?

The one pic with Lincoln looks really kool but the C2C is hard to read?

Healz
Jan 02, 2011, 02:08 AM
I know I have some good images for you from various different places. I will find them when I get home.

tchristensen
Jan 02, 2011, 06:35 AM
What great resources for artwork and for creating logos. This may help me redesign some of my starting screens for ExtremeMod.

Panda_Power
Jan 02, 2011, 06:59 AM
2. I don't recall which tech is for the "carnival" but if you look in civlopedia I am sure you can find your answer.

3. Yeah. If you need to find your difficulty I suggest you select option at the beginning of the game that will either increase or decrease the difficulty of the game as you play. If you are falling behind it will get easier. If you are on the top then it will get harder.

Thanks for the tips and I didn't realise there was this kind of auto-difficulty setting....that's superb!

I had my first CTD!:eek: I'm on turn 1004 and I was having a great battle with my new archers trying to take out some barbarian camps when I founded Juinism (not sure how you spell it as I've never heard of it!) The little screen came up to play the vid, but then it crashed saying I was out of video memory!

I thought my system would be handle this and I had all my settings on high thinking it would be OK, but I guess not. Do you guys with mid-to high-end systems still have to lower the settings? I have:

i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
XFX 5870 1GB (stock clocks)
6GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Windows 7 64 bit
Civ 4 installed on an 80GB Intel SSD
res 1920x1200

I'm playing on a large map and I'm experimenting with 1UPT and I guess that's putting a strain on things because there are a lot of things on the screen and the in-between turn times are getting a bit long.

What graphic settings would you recommend and do you think I would be better off just playing on a standard map and maybe going up to 5UPT?

While I'm here a just have a question about ranged attacks. It says the archers can make ranged attacks, but I can't see how to do that. They just seem to be able to attack like normal melee units on the tile next to the one you're attacking. I thought if they can make ranged attacks then they'd be able to attack from 2 tiles away. How do I do a ranged attack?

Thanks!

**Edit**
I forgot to add, I have disabled hyper-threading in my BIOS so the game should be using 4 threads instead of the full 8. Would enabling hyper-threading be better and can the game use 8 threads?

jimboy3100
Jan 02, 2011, 09:02 AM
i will do them again in order to say Caveman 2 Cosmos, :)

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 02, 2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tips and I didn't realise there was this kind of auto-difficulty setting....that's superb!

I had my first CTD!:eek: I'm on turn 1004 and I was having a great battle with my new archers trying to take out some barbarian camps when I founded Juinism (not sure how you spell it as I've never heard of it!) The little screen came up to play the vid, but then it crashed saying I was out of video memory!

I thought my system would be handle this and I had all my settings on high thinking it would be OK, but I guess not. Do you guys with mid-to high-end systems still have to lower the settings? I have:

i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
XFX 5870 1GB (stock clocks)
6GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Windows 7 64 bit
Civ 4 installed on an 80GB Intel SSD
res 1920x1200

I'm playing on a large map and I'm experimenting with 1UPT and I guess that's putting a strain on things because there are a lot of things on the screen and the in-between turn times are getting a bit long.

What graphic settings would you recommend and do you think I would be better off just playing on a standard map and maybe going up to 5UPT?

While I'm here a just have a question about ranged attacks. It says the archers can make ranged attacks, but I can't see how to do that. They just seem to be able to attack like normal melee units on the tile next to the one you're attacking. I thought if they can make ranged attacks then they'd be able to attack from 2 tiles away. How do I do a ranged attack?

Thanks!

**Edit**
I forgot to add, I have disabled hyper-threading in my BIOS so the game should be using 4 threads instead of the full 8. Would enabling hyper-threading be better and can the game use 8 threads?

The Jainism and Sikh founding movies don't exist. There is an error in the XML which causes the "blank" founding screen/pop-up. Just press esc. to continue the game.

When you get a video memory error it appears to be caused by a combination of video and cache memory (and memory leaks). Other than using the 3GB switch if you have Windows XP and 3GB or more of memory or reducing your graphics settings to "lowest'. there is little you can do about this problem. The only other solution is to save often and restart from a save. If you get the flashing patterns in game then delete the cache before you load from a save.

Archer Ranged attacks are only to units in the next plot. It allows the archers to do some damage without suffering any damage themselves which is what would happen if they attacked. If the option has not been disabled due to bugs, archer units get one or two extra action buttons that look like targets.

Hydromancerx
Jan 02, 2011, 05:35 PM
Thx looks great, but i think Caveman 2 Cosmos looks better, what say you Hydro/Dancing H?

The one pic with Lincoln looks really kool but the C2C is hard to read?

I like the ones we already have. No offense.

jimboy3100
Jan 02, 2011, 05:51 PM
i just made these in case.
logo

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/8320/caveman2cosmos.png

graving
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6816/funphotobox012339s2rnyb.jpg

C2C+RevolutionDCM (i liked the one with the grandmas)
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8798/funphotobox021911s2gysu.jpg

history remaking
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/2364/jhffj.jpg

C2C Credits
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6931/gcgfg.jpg

One question, does the bluemarble (i've seen it on AND) work for c2c?

Panda_Power
Jan 02, 2011, 06:53 PM
Archer Ranged attacks are only to units in the next plot. It allows the archers to do some damage without suffering any damage themselves which is what would happen if they attacked. If the option has not been disabled due to bugs, archer units get one or two extra action buttons that look like targets.

Thanks for your reply. I think maybe it's been disabled then because I looked for extra action buttons, but they just have the same buttons as ordinary melee units. That's a pity.

Didn't realise "esc" would get me out of the blue screen for those religions...I'll try that next time. To get past where I kept crashing I just turned off all the movie options, but I kinda miss them now! If it's just those 2 movies that are missing then I'll turn them back on.

Hydromancerx
Jan 02, 2011, 07:25 PM
@strategyonly

I just noticed something. Your thread should say "Cavemen to Cosmos" not "Caveman".

Panda_Power
Jan 02, 2011, 07:48 PM
In the ROM AND there are options to install a different coloured interface like the coal one which I really like. Can I do that with C2C....I can't find an option anywhere.

**Edit**
Also, is the "formations" mod in C2C?

**Edit 2**
I hope this is going to be OK. I copied the folder for "Formations" and "Interface Colors" over from AND to C2C and edited the XML file to include them. It doesn't work on my saved game, but it looks OK on a new game after I clear cache. Is that going to be OK or were they not included for a specific reason?

HannibalBarka
Jan 03, 2011, 02:53 AM
I noticed that workers can "create" many sources of cows or elephants (the two animal resources I already hooked), is that normal or a bug? if it's normal isn't it too powerfull?
Also in the pedia, I couldn't find a place where to know exactly what a subdued animal (and only a subdued animal) can create. I subdued some animals, and since I am not sure I'll catch more of those, I'd like to know what's best use I can make of them.
Other than that, I love the mod, although I find that there are tooooooooooooo many buildings; there aree so much of them that I can't "remember" what to build, when and why and that "removes" the "thinking" and some times makes me build with no clear " purpose"

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 03, 2011, 04:51 AM
I noticed that workers can "create" many sources of cows or elephants (the two animal resources I already hooked), is that normal or a bug? if it's normal isn't it too powerfull?
Also in the pedia, I couldn't find a place where to know exactly what a subdued animal (and only a subdued animal) can create. I subdued some animals, and since I am not sure I'll catch more of those, I'd like to know what's best use I can make of them.
Other than that, I love the mod, although I find that there are tooooooooooooo many buildings; there aree so much of them that I can't "remember" what to build, when and why and that "removes" the "thinking" and some times makes me build with no clear " purpose"

Looks like I will have to write a concepts page for subdued animals. So far there are military buildings - the standard (one for land and rarer one for sea), dog kennels and the hunting lodge. The hunting lodge is required to build hunters which are good at capturing more animals. Each give XP to units built in the city, especially hunters so they are even better at capturing more animals ;) Unfortunately in C2C hunters become available far to late even when I remove the canine domestication tech from the requirements.

Then there are the resource buildings - herd of the animal.

Then there are the revolution reduction & happiness buildings - pets and minagerie.

Then there are the happiness buildings that require the Chariot tech - carnival and cages.

nichopoleve
Jan 03, 2011, 01:18 PM
Where do i put the leaderheads zip file with the extra civilizations?

I made a folder called Custom Leaderheads inside the Modules folder, but I ctd when i am about to click and choose a civ when starting a game.

strategyonly
Jan 03, 2011, 04:00 PM
Where do i put the leaderheads zip file with the extra civilizations?

I made a folder called Custom Leaderheads inside the Modules folder, but I ctd when i am about to click and choose a civ when starting a game.

Make sure it looks like this: 1st pic

Then make sure you have the two MLF files at the bottom.

HannibalBarka
Jan 04, 2011, 04:01 AM
I ask my question again as it went unnoticed ;-):

strategyonly
Jan 04, 2011, 04:43 AM
I ask my question again as it went unnoticed ;-):

Missed it, yes its normal, but in the discussion thread, we have the author re-doing the way it works, haven't decided yet which way is best.

@strategyonly

I just noticed something. Your thread should say "Cavemen to Cosmos" not "Caveman".

It sounds better as CavemAn, sorry.

Hydromancerx
Jan 04, 2011, 05:06 AM
It sounds better as CavemAn, sorry.

Are you sure? Cavemen sounds like there is more than one. Such as "in the time of cavemen", not "in the time of caveman". In addition I am not sure if Cosmos is singular or plural. If its singular then maybe your right. At any rate either spelling still makes "C2C".

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 04, 2011, 05:10 AM
Are you sure? Cavemen sounds like there is more than one. Such as "in the time of cavemen", not "in the time of caveman". In addition I am not sure if Cosmos is singular or plural. If its singular then maybe your right. At any rate either spelling still makes "C2C".

IIRC cosmos means everything that was, is and will be so it is singular. :)

nichopoleve
Jan 04, 2011, 06:15 AM
I got the extra civs working after I followed your instructions and also put the .fpk files into the assets folder.
Thank you. :)

Is there a way I can install the AND mega civ pack into this mod also?

strategyonly
Jan 04, 2011, 07:05 AM
I got the extra civs working after I followed your instructions and also put the .fpk files into the assets folder.

Nope, it is NOT compatible what so ever:mischief:

Panda_Power
Jan 04, 2011, 08:35 AM
I need some help with the flexible difficulty because the wording in the bug panel is confusing me!

If I want it to get harder when I'm in 1st place, but easier when I'm in 2nd, 3rd or 4th place, what values do I put in for min and max rank?

Thanks!

Bezurn
Jan 04, 2011, 07:41 PM
I am enjoying the mod so far, but I have noticed that when I meet other leaders the text to interact and their initial greeting are not there. I have to press escape to leave the diplomacy screen. I finally got a map I want to play a long time on and would like to partake of diplomacy now, but how can I talk to the leaders. I've already discovered writing, as I thought that was the pre-req, but nope.

I looked over the faq on the first page and didn't see any mention of missing interface options for diplomacy only. This is the only interface element that is not present in the game, everything else is running smoothly. If anyone has any ideas how I can get the leaderhead talk text to appear I'd be most grateful.

I downloaded the 7z file and extracted it to my ..."Civ4\Beyond the sword\Mods\" folder. I am running windows xp 32 with 2 gigs ram and a 512 mb video card. Only encountered memory allocation errors after about every 150 turns or so.

Thanks for making the mod and to anyone who can help me sort out my problem.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 05, 2011, 01:41 PM
I am enjoying the mod so far, but I have noticed that when I meet other leaders the text to interact and their initial greeting are not there. I have to press escape to leave the diplomacy screen. I finally got a map I want to play a long time on and would like to partake of diplomacy now, but how can I talk to the leaders. I've already discovered writing, as I thought that was the pre-req, but nope.

I looked over the faq on the first page and didn't see any mention of missing interface options for diplomacy only. This is the only interface element that is not present in the game, everything else is running smoothly. If anyone has any ideas how I can get the leaderhead talk text to appear I'd be most grateful.

I downloaded the 7z file and extracted it to my ..."Civ4\Beyond the sword\Mods\" folder. I am running windows xp 32 with 2 gigs ram and a 512 mb video card. Only encountered memory allocation errors after about every 150 turns or so.

Thanks for making the mod and to anyone who can help me sort out my problem.

I have seen someone else post this problem on the RoM or RoM/AND forums. (I have not done a search to find the solution.) Recently I have found that just deleting the cache, especially after a memory allocation problem, can fix all sorts of strange problems however I don't expect it will yours, but it is simple and worth a try.

I think you may have a bad install or download, not what you want to hear, I know. This mod takes the best part of 5-6 hours for me to download.

jimboy3100
Jan 05, 2011, 02:16 PM

Nope, it is NOT compatible what so ever:mischief:

Can anyone make it compatible? please??? http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/civ4/religion.gif

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 05, 2011, 02:30 PM
Can anyone make it compatible? please??? http://forums.civfanatics.com/images/smilies/civ4/religion.gif

You know not what you ask. It would take many hours of work. IIRC the only reason we got the AND mega pack was because someone, like you, really, really wanted it in the game.

jimboy3100
Jan 05, 2011, 02:37 PM
You know not what you ask. It would take many hours of work. IIRC the only reason we got the AND mega pack was because someone, like you, really, really wanted it in the game.

I have no doubt that there is not any better game than civ bts and C2C/AND/ROM megamod.
My question is... does it worth to keep modding? I personaly believe "yes", i wish i knew modding to make the best even better. I really want to see how far it can go...

jimboy3100
Jan 05, 2011, 02:44 PM
I have no doubt that there is not any better game than civ bts and C2C/AND/ROM megamod.
I believe you agree...

Bezurn
Jan 05, 2011, 07:37 PM
Well I tried a few things to get it to work. First I deleted the C2C mod folder, downloaded it again from the first page link and extracted it to the same location. I also did a verify test on the compression and it reported no errors.

Ran the game on a duel pangea map (for quick loading and to limit the memory used to rule out that issue) and when I met my neighbor there was no diplomacy text, and the animation on the leaderhead did not animate, it was just still like it was frozen (usually they sway their heads around after the greeting gesture).

So then I went and cleared my cache directory at ..."Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache\"

Ran the game on duel pangea, same result, no diplomacy text or animation.

Then tried one last thing in loading BTS plain, lowered all graphics to lowest setting, reran C2c

Same result.

So unless there is an alternative download site that I don't know about (got mine from Atomic Gamer) then I won't be able to play this mod til this is fixed. I'll try getting RoM and/or AND and seeing if I also have problems with those mods. If those work then there there is something screwy between my machine and this mod.

A shame too as I was really enjoying it, getting used to all the new buildings and features.

strategyonly
Jan 06, 2011, 01:44 AM
Well I tried a few things to get it to work. First I deleted the C2C mod folder, downloaded it again from the first page link and extracted it to the same location. I also did a verify test on the compression and it reported no errors.

Ran the game on a duel pangea map (for quick loading and to limit the memory used to rule out that issue) and when I met my neighbor there was no diplomacy text, and the animation on the leaderhead did not animate, it was just still like it was frozen (usually they sway their heads around after the greeting gesture).

So then I went and cleared my cache directory at ..."Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache\"

Ran the game on duel pangea, same result, no diplomacy text or animation.

Then tried one last thing in loading BTS plain, lowered all graphics to lowest setting, reran C2c

Same result.

So unless there is an alternative download site that I don't know about (got mine from Atomic Gamer) then I won't be able to play this mod til this is fixed. I'll try getting RoM and/or AND and seeing if I also have problems with those mods. If those work then there there is something screwy between my machine and this mod.

A shame too as I was really enjoying it, getting used to all the new buildings and features.

If you want animated and diplo to work, you need to MOVE from the modules folder the Static folder and put it in the unload modules area.

WimpyTheWarrior
Jan 06, 2011, 02:38 AM
500 turns in, all OK here

No major issues so far on a Gigantic ROM_terra maps, Monarch, Marathon. I have tweaked a few XML files more for personal taste not bugs. Minor Civs are forming from the the isolated Barbarian cities. This version is MUCH better balanced than version 5. The AI Civs are keeping close to me, despite all my cheating! Nice.

I did notice that Agriculture no longer reduces the effectiveness of the seed farms, was that intentional? I was prepared with my legions of Workers to furiously recover my food supplies, and was surprised when every city just kept humming along after I discovered Ag.

I have noticed a lot less wild animals, but I put this down to the better AI growth, leading to less natural terrain and more AI subdued animals. I've encountered lots of AI Hunters, but no AI hawks. It would be nice if the Hunter had a combat bonus against all animal units, not just wild animals. I have a scene where my hunter is approaching an easy kill wild animal, but the AI subdues it first, and suddenly my Hunter's attack loses all bonuses.

CiverDan
Jan 07, 2011, 04:21 AM

I did notice that Agriculture no longer reduces the effectiveness of the seed farms, was that intentional? I was prepared with my legions of Workers to furiously recover my food supplies, and was surprised when every city just kept humming along after I discovered Ag.

I believe the seed farm change was intentional, otherwise your cities lose food output upon discovery of Agriculture (which obviously makes no sense).

strategyonly
Jan 07, 2011, 04:58 AM

No major issues so far on a Gigantic ROM_terra maps, Monarch, Marathon.

I have noticed a lot less wild animals, but I put this down to the better AI growth, leading to less natural terrain and more AI subdued animals. I've encountered lots of AI Hunters, but no AI hawks. It would be nice if the Hunter had a combat bonus against all animal units, not just wild animals. I have a scene where my hunter is approaching an easy kill wild animal, but the AI subdues it first, and suddenly my Hunter's attack loses all bonuses.

I believe the seed farm change was intentional, otherwise your cities lose food output upon discovery of Agriculture (which obviously makes no sense).

Those two are left to the great Dancing Hoskuld to work with, you'd have to talk to him in the discussion area.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 07, 2011, 02:23 PM

Those two are left to the great Dancing Hoskuld to work with, you'd have to talk to him in the discussion area.

I have done two things to improve how the improvements from Stone Age work with latter improvements. The first was in the XML and means that the old improvements no longer go obsolete. So seed camps continue to provide their benefit. I also got the wood gatherer to work properly. I also added in a scavenger camp (Bison, Deer and Ivory) and a nomadic herder for the other animals.

The second was to write some python to automatically upgrade each Stone Age improvement when the correct tech is discovered. There is code in the dll to upgrade mines and cottages starting at the correct tech but it is not generalised for any improvement so I could not use it.

The main problem, in my view, with what I have given StrategyOnly to include in the next release, is that because you get the worker unit before the upgrade tech you it can still build the old improvements at the cost of the unit.

I have to test if obsoleting the improvement breaks my python. This is a step in the right direction, but I also wondering if we need improvements that reflect the change from nomadic to sedentary lifestyle.

Edit: if you want to try this out attached is an update file. Note it is not save game compatible. It includes everything for improvements and their upgrades plus one BUG bug fix. The bug fix fixes the goody hut error message.

As per usual backup before you install.

strategyonly
Jan 07, 2011, 02:50 PM
I have done two things to improve how the improvements from Stone Age work with latter improvements. The first was in the XML and means that the old improvements no longer go obsolete. So seed camps continue to provide their benefit. I also got the wood gatherer to work properly. I also added in a scavenger camp (Bison, Deer and Ivory) and a nomadic herder for the other animals.

The second was to write some python to automatically upgrade each Stone Age improvement when the correct tech is discovered. There is code in the dll to upgrade mines and cottages starting at the correct tech but it is not generalised for any improvement so I could not use it.

The main problem, in my view, with what I have given StrategyOnly to include in the next release, is that because you get the worker unit before the upgrade tech you it can still build the old improvements at the cost of the unit.

I have to test if obsoleting the improvement breaks my python. This is a step in the right direction, but I also wondering if we need improvements that reflect the change from nomadic to sedentary lifestyle.

Edit: if you want to try this out attached is an update file. Note it is not save game compatible. It includes everything for improvements and their upgrades plus one BUG bug fix. The bug fix fixes the goody hut error message.

As per usual backup before you install.

Thx, i think i figured out that HelpStringText error messages "we" have been getting to SOME degree, it has to do with the CIV4GameText . . . being in the TXT area Twice or even more., i was getting an error over the gatherer before, and found out that there was 2 TXT/Pedia and Strategy info's in two different locations, i got rid of one and now no error at least for now.

Thx again.;)

JosEPh_II
Jan 07, 2011, 05:10 PM
So...when is the next "Patch" available?

And I Do mean a Patch versus trying to D/L a 1.1GB file again. ;)

JosEPh :)

strategyonly
Jan 07, 2011, 11:30 PM

Well see thats a main problem cause Dancing H found a bug in BUG and it is not save game compatible.:(

But i do expect a newer release of the WHOLE mod, around 19 or so Jan 11.

To everyone:

Dont be to concerned about the way the tech tree is going to look, "we" are re-working it.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 08, 2011, 12:29 AM

Part of the problem with providing a update/patch rather than a full download is that some files need to be deleted or moved not just overwritten which is what a patch/update does. It may be possible to post the changes with instructions, we will have to see.

JosEPh_II
Jan 08, 2011, 09:47 AM
Part of the problem with providing a update/patch rather than a full download is that some files need to be deleted or moved not just overwritten which is what a patch/update does. It may be possible to post the changes with instructions, we will have to see.

It would make it So much easier for me. My Sat. DSL is slow and limited in number of GB usage per month.

@Strategy, save game compatibility is Not an issue for me. As stated above monthly GB usage and D/L speeds are. They don't offer Broadband out in the cornfields of western Illinois. :(

jimboy3100
Jan 08, 2011, 03:27 PM
can the Tornado and volcano events be included in the next patch?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12861

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 08, 2011, 06:40 PM
can the Tornado and volcano events be included in the next patch?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12861

The events are already there, so I assume you mean the on map plot animated graphics. I hate them so I wont be doing them, maybe someone else will.:mischief:

strategyonly
Jan 09, 2011, 06:49 AM
Test ... Test... Testing .1, 2, 3, ... If this had been an actual Emergency, ack never-mind, jj (:joke:) (Just Joking)

But seriously if anyone wants to TEST out the NEW Animal Placement modcomp your welcome to:). But Please use the discussion/idea thread (listed in my signature) for any thing that is wrong or needs changing.

http://www.filefront.com/17769472/AnimalPlacing.7z/

The above post is directly from the author, and pls dont write him directly, thx.

btw, the two files (animalPlacing folder is in the modules StrategyOnly folder area), and the python animalplacing is also in the (python StrategyOnly folder)

Argroww
Jan 09, 2011, 08:18 AM
Struggling with this mod....which to be honest is probably because my laptop is getting a bit old.

I'm running XP, have activated the \3GB switch, have increased my paging file allowance to at least 5GB.

Initially I used to be able to run a tiny map with very few issues through-out a game (running on standard ROM build), however recently while trying to run this mod my laptop has started to massively slow down, in fact it even grinds to a halt showing the CPU usage to be 100%....even a reboot or starting a new game doesn't seem to clear the fault.

Clearly there are a lot of factors that could be causing this (not including a large mod), but just wondered if there any other tips for squeezing performance out of a laptop running XP, perhaps any caches that I could clear.

Oh, I've also tried running it in windowed mode....which initially appear to have helped on my new tiny map....unless it was the paging file change that did it (which is the last thing i changed on my last reboot)

strategyonly
Jan 09, 2011, 09:08 AM
Struggling with this mod....which to be honest is probably because my laptop is getting a bit old.

I'm running XP, have activated the \3GB switch, have increased my paging file allowance to at least 5GB.

Initially I used to be able to run a tiny map with very few issues through-out a game (running on standard ROM build), however recently while trying to run this mod my laptop has started to massively slow down, in fact it even grinds to a halt showing the CPU usage to be 100%....even a reboot or starting a new game doesn't seem to clear the fault.

Clearly there are a lot of factors that could be causing this (not including a large mod), but just wondered if there any other tips for squeezing performance out of a laptop running XP, perhaps any caches that I could clear.

Oh, I've also tried running it in windowed mode....which initially appear to have helped on my new tiny map....unless it was the paging file change that did it (which is the last thing i changed on my last reboot)

All i can really recommend from using a laptop is "Good Luck.":p Especially if its anything below Windows 7. Just make sure you meet or EXCEED the requirements of the mod, listed here at the bottom of the page:

This is the BIGGEST mod in Civ 4.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 09, 2011, 09:09 AM
Test ... Test... Testing .1, 2, 3, ... If this had been an actual Emergency, ack never-mind, jj (:joke:) (Just Joking)

But seriously if anyone wants to TEST out the NEW Animal Placement modcomp your welcome to:). But Please use the discussion/idea thread (listed in my signature) for any thing that is wrong or needs changing.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=1361339

The above post is directly from the author, and pls dont write him directly, thx.

btw, the two files (animalPlacing folder is in the modules StrategyOnly folder area), and the python animalplacing is also in the (python StrategyOnly folder)

That is not a valid link. Or at least I get a message saying I should not be going there as it is a link to a private area.

I am still using XP, but on a desktop. You could try removing the GiantSquid folder from Modules\DancingHoskuld\SubdueAnimals\Xtra_Animals and the Salt_Water_Crocodile from the GraphicallyChallengedUnits folder. The game engine seems to spawn these in great numbers. The first adds nothing to the game.

Mind you with all the new techs coming out I am going to suggest that a large part of the subdued animals be removed since it becomes obsolete at turn 300 on snail or turn 25ish on normal no matter what tech you have.

Argroww
Jan 09, 2011, 09:13 AM
It's the graphics card that the issue I think, I've got a powerful enough CPU, enough HDD space, other settings are okay....even if I have to run at minimum....although my units are still animated, which is odd given that I turned that off in my Civ 4 settings.

What I can't figure out is why C2C remains slow even after a reboot and a new game (even though earlier today it ran fine till about turn 1000ish on an eternal game, now I'm lucky to get to 70 and yet I've done nothing more that play for the afternoon)....it's almost like civ4 is referring to a cached store....?

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 09, 2011, 09:18 AM
It's the graphics card that the issue I think, I've got a powerful enough CPU, enough HDD space, other settings are okay....even if I have to run at minimum....although my units are still animated, which is odd given that I turned that off in my Civ 4 settings.

What I can't figure out is why C2C remains slow even after a reboot and a new game (even though earlier today it ran fine till about turn 1000ish on an eternal game, now I'm lucky to get to 70 and yet I've done nothing more that play for the afternoon)....it's almost like civ4 is referring to a cached store....?

It does have a cache, and I have found that deleting it after a crash helps. Doing so does slow down the initial mod load time.

Argroww
Jan 09, 2011, 09:19 AM
I'm used to a slow load....all of the big mods do it....where is it?

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 09, 2011, 09:34 AM
I'm used to a slow load....all of the big mods do it....where is it?

On my machine it is in C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Local Settings\Application Data\My Games\Beyond the Sword and it is called cache.

Argroww
Jan 09, 2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks dancing hoskuld.....worked perfectly (or as perfectly as it can on my laptop) after deleting the cache....although my laptop had been off for a few hours, so it may have been the cpu getting too hot...the cache was also pretty small only a few MBs.....oh well, I'll have to keep an eye on it I guess.

strategyonly
Jan 09, 2011, 08:17 PM
That is not a valid link. Or at least I get a message saying I should not be going there as it is a link to a private area.

OK, now try it:

http://www.filefront.com/17769472/AnimalPlacing.7z/

Hydromancerx
Jan 10, 2011, 04:44 AM
@strategyonly

I have been looking for new music and art, but all I could come up with is putting the old images I posted before in a single image. Not sure if you want to use it for a load screen or not. It has no text to keep it generic. This would probably be a secondary load screen, not the splash page for the main menu.

I also found a nice image of a mammoth rider and sloth rider plus some steam punk stuff, but it did not fit very well in the image, so I took it out. I also found some steampunk music, however the main singer seems to have a really bad voice, even though the music is cool. Here is a sample (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT0tLBTTD48). I must admit it is very unique and creative. Not sure if you want to use any of their stuff for music. Though it might be cool since it mixes the old with the new.

strategyonly
Jan 10, 2011, 06:57 AM
OK heres a rough example of what i have for the upcoming Assassin unit (this is not a final version), i need more ideas and/or changes anything is acceptable.

<UnitInfo>
<Class>UNITCLASS_ASSASSIN</Class>
<Type>UNIT_ASSASSIN</Type>
<UniqueNames/>
<Special>SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE</Special>
<Capture>NONE</Capture>
<Combat>UNITCOMBAT_SPY</Combat>
<Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
<DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_SPY</DefaultUnitAI>
<Invisible>INVISIBLE_CAMOUFLAGE</Invisible>
<SeeInvisible>INVISIBLE_CAMOUFLAGE</SeeInvisible>
<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_ASSASSIN</Description>
<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_UNIT_ASSASSIN_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
<Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_ASSASSIN_STRATEGY</Strategy>
<Help/>
<Advisor>ADVISOR_GROWTH</Advisor>
<bAnimal>0</bAnimal>
<bFood>0</bFood>
<bNoBadGoodies>0</bNoBadGoodies>
<bOnlyDefensive>0</bOnlyDefensive>
<bNoCapture>0</bNoCapture>
<bQuickCombat>0</bQuickCombat>
<bRivalTerritory>1</bRivalTerritory>
<bMilitaryHappiness>1</bMilitaryHappiness>
<bMilitarySupport>1</bMilitarySupport>
<bMilitaryProduction>1</bMilitaryProduction>
<bPillage>0</bPillage>
<bSpy>0</bSpy>
<bSabotage>0</bSabotage>
<bDestroy>0</bDestroy>
<bStealPlans>0</bStealPlans>
<bInvestigate>0</bInvestigate>
<bCounterSpy>1</bCounterSpy>
<bFound>0</bFound>
<bGoldenAge>0</bGoldenAge>
<bInvisible>0</bInvisible>
<bFirstStrikeImmune>1</bFirstStrikeImmune>
<bNoDefensiveBonus>0</bNoDefensiveBonus>
<bIgnoreBuildingDefense>0</bIgnoreBuildingDefense>
<bCanMoveImpassable>0</bCanMoveImpassable>
<bCanMoveAllTerrain>0</bCanMoveAllTerrain>
<bFlatMovementCost>0</bFlatMovementCost>
<bIgnoreTerrainCost>0</bIgnoreTerrainCost>
<bNukeImmune>0</bNukeImmune>
<bPrereqBonuses>0</bPrereqBonuses>
<bPrereqReligion>0</bPrereqReligion>
<bMechanized>0</bMechanized>
<bSuicide>0</bSuicide>
<bHiddenNationality>1</bHiddenNationality>
<bAlwaysHostile>1</bAlwaysHostile>
<bWorkerTrade>0</bWorkerTrade>
<bMilitaryTrade>0</bMilitaryTrade>
<UnitClassUpgrades>
<UnitClassUpgrade>
<UnitClassUpgradeType>UNITCLASS_BANDIT_FOOTPAD</UnitClassUpgradeType>
<bUnitClassUpgrade>1</bUnitClassUpgrade>
</UnitClassUpgrade>
</UnitClassUpgrades>
<UnitClassTargets/>
<UnitCombatTargets/>
<UnitClassDefenders/>
<UnitCombatDefenders/>
<FlankingStrikes/>
<UnitAIs>
<UnitAI>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_ATTACK</UnitAIType>
<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
</UnitAI>
<UnitAI>
<UnitAIType>UNITAI_COUNTER</UnitAIType>
<bUnitAI>1</bUnitAI>
</UnitAI>
</UnitAIs>
<NotUnitAIs/>
<Builds/>
<ReligionSpreads/>
<CorporationSpreads/>
<GreatPeoples/>
<Buildings/>
<ForceBuildings/>
<HolyCity>NONE</HolyCity>
<ReligionType>NONE</ReligionType>
<StateReligion>NONE</StateReligion>
<PrereqReligion>NONE</PrereqReligion>
<PrereqCorporation>NONE</PrereqCorporation>
<PrereqBuilding>NONE</PrereqBuilding>
<PrereqTech>TECH_POISON_CRAFTING</PrereqTech>
<TechTypes/>
<BonusType>NONE</BonusType>
<PrereqBonuses/>
<ProductionTraits/>
<Flavors/>
<iAIWeight>0</iAIWeight>
<iCost>20</iCost>
<iHurryCostModifier>0</iHurryCostModifier>
<iAdvancedStartCost>100</iAdvancedStartCost>
<iAdvancedStartCostIncrease>0</iAdvancedStartCostIncrease>
<iMinAreaSize>-1</iMinAreaSize>
<iMoves>2</iMoves>
<bNoRevealMap>0</bNoRevealMap>
<iAirRange>0</iAirRange>
<iAirUnitCap>0</iAirUnitCap>
<iDropRange>0</iDropRange>
<iNukeRange>-1</iNukeRange>
<iWorkRate>0</iWorkRate>
<iBaseDiscover>0</iBaseDiscover>
<iDiscoverMultiplier>0</iDiscoverMultiplier>
<iBaseHurry>0</iBaseHurry>
<iHurryMultiplier>0</iHurryMultiplier>
<iBaseTrade>0</iBaseTrade>
<iTradeMultiplier>0</iTradeMultiplier>
<iGreatWorkCulture>0</iGreatWorkCulture>
<iEspionagePoints>10</iEspionagePoints>
<TerrainImpassables/>
<FeatureImpassables/>
<TerrainPassableTechs/>
<FeaturePassableTechs/>
<iCombat>3</iCombat>
<iCombatLimit>100</iCombatLimit>
<iAirCombat>0</iAirCombat>
<iAirCombatLimit>0</iAirCombatLimit>
<iXPValueAttack>8</iXPValueAttack>
<iXPValueDefense>4</iXPValueDefense>
<iFirstStrikes>1</iFirstStrikes>
<iChanceFirstStrikes>0</iChanceFirstStrikes>
<iInterceptionProbability>0</iInterceptionProbability>
<iEvasionProbability>0</iEvasionProbability>
<iWithdrawalProb>0</iWithdrawalProb>
<iCollateralDamage>0</iCollateralDamage>
<iCollateralDamageLimit>0</iCollateralDamageLimit>
<iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>0</iCollateralDamageMaxUnits>
<iCityAttack>-50</iCityAttack>
<iCityDefense>-50</iCityDefense>
<iAnimalCombat>0</iAnimalCombat>
<iHillsAttack>0</iHillsAttack>
<iHillsDefense>0</iHillsDefense>
<TerrainNatives/>
<FeatureNatives/>
<TerrainAttacks/>
<TerrainDefenses/>
<FeatureAttacks/>
<FeatureDefenses/>
<UnitClassAttackMods/>
<UnitClassDefenseMods/>
<UnitCombatMods/>
<UnitCombatCollateralImmunes/>
<DomainMods/>
<BonusProductionModifiers/>
<iBombRate>0</iBombRate>
<iBombardRate>0</iBombardRate>
<SpecialCargo>NONE</SpecialCargo>
<DomainCargo>NONE</DomainCargo>
<iCargo>0</iCargo>
<iConscription>0</iConscription>
<iCultureGarrison>0</iCultureGarrison>
<iExtraCost>0</iExtraCost>
<iAsset>7</iAsset>
<iPower>15</iPower>
<UnitMeshGroups>
<iGroupSize>1</iGroupSize>
<fMaxSpeed>1.75</fMaxSpeed>
<fPadTime>1</fPadTime>
<iMeleeWaveSize>1</iMeleeWaveSize>
<iRangedWaveSize>0</iRangedWaveSize>
<UnitMeshGroup>
<iRequired>1</iRequired>
<EarlyArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_UNIT_ASSASSIN</EarlyArtDefineTag>
</UnitMeshGroup>
</UnitMeshGroups>
<FormationType>FORMATION_TYPE_DEFAULT</FormationType>
<HotKey/>
<bAltDown>0</bAltDown>
<bShiftDown>0</bShiftDown>
<bCtrlDown>0</bCtrlDown>
<iHotKeyPriority>0</iHotKeyPriority>
<FreePromotions>
<FreePromotion>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_POISON_ARROWS</PromotionType>
<bFreePromotion>1</bFreePromotion>
</FreePromotion>
<FreePromotion>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_INDUSTRYESPIONAGE</PromotionType>
</FreePromotion>
<FreePromotion>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_COMMANDO</PromotionType>
</FreePromotion>
<FreePromotion>
<PromotionType>PROMOTION_SECURITY1</PromotionType>
</FreePromotion>
</FreePromotions>
<LeaderPromotion>NONE</LeaderPromotion>
<iLeaderExperience>0</iLeaderExperience>
</UnitInfo>

marcgarc
Jan 10, 2011, 02:58 PM
What Civ Packs are compatible with NWA Prehistoric 6? Hashishim's Clash of Civilizations? generalstaff's AND Mega Civ Pack? I'd like installing one of these and I am making sure about which to select. Thanks in advance, for your help, and for your wonderful work with the mod!

strategyonly
Jan 10, 2011, 03:05 PM
What Civ Packs are compatible with NWA Prehistoric 6? Hashishim's Clash of Civilizations? generalstaff's AND Mega Civ Pack? I'd like installing one of these and I am making sure about which to select. Thanks in advance, for your help, and for your wonderful work with the mod!

Actually only the ones that came with the NWA 6 ones, thats it, CoC doesnt work and GS Mega really doesnt work anyways.

You can still use the NWA Custom Civs in C2C, they work.

Bahmo
Jan 11, 2011, 01:35 AM
Are the future techs in yet? I may just switch over to this mod if nobody ever fixes Quot Capita.

strategyonly
Jan 11, 2011, 02:42 AM
Are the future techs in yet? I may just switch over to this mod if nobody ever fixes Quot Capita.

Nope not yet, but this mod has about 25 more techs and maybe 40 new buildings more than Quot Capita for Prehistoric Era. Plus VD ethnic units are in here also, but not the Modern ones.

Bahmo
Jan 11, 2011, 03:33 PM
Are the modern ones coming?

strategyonly
Jan 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
Are the modern ones coming?

Maybe 6 months down the road, maybe not?

PKSRoman
Jan 12, 2011, 01:10 PM
hello, i have a problem with menu interface + no civilopedia
of course i wrote in regedit and try use all protips but it doesn`t help
however on xp all works good but MAF`s piss the game when saves start getting bigger
what i shuold do ?
I use Windows 7 64 bit, civ 4 complete edition
I dont Have advance Wars 2, maybe it cause problem - but what have a mod to the interface
Specifications:
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II 965 processor 3.40 GHz x4
Graphic Card Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

No Python log Errors, evrything look fine but..
http://zapodaj.net/640c45282f5c.jpg.html
http://zapodaj.net/cd1116685024.jpg.html

( weird, under `7 and chrome i dont see my own links,in case of trouble - without IMG tag:
http://zapodaj.net/cd1116685024.jpg.html)

Btw i have the same problem with mod Rise Of Mankind - A new Dawn
But i made save on xp, copy it on C:\Saves, later from Vista and start a game from Save
( not from CIv4.beyondthesword.exe - it autoclosed after 5-10 min of loading a mod)
and evrything work good
unfortunelly making the same with your mod dont help

marcgarc
Jan 12, 2011, 01:31 PM
You can still use the NWA Custom Civs in C2C, they work.

Ive been searching a little about these in the forum, but no luck at finding them. Could you tell me where to look at? Thx in advance!

strategyonly
Jan 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
hello, i have a problem with menu interface + no civilopedia
of course i wrote in regedit and try use all protips but it doesn`t help
however on xp all works good but MAF`s piss the game when saves start getting bigger
what i shuold do ?
I use Windows 7 64 bit, civ 4 complete edition
I dont Have advance Wars 2, maybe it cause problem - but what have a mod to the interface
Specifications:
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II 965 processor 3.40 GHz x4
Graphic Card Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

No Python log Errors, evrything look fine but..
http://zapodaj.net/cd1116685024.jpg.html

( weird, under `7 and chrome i dont see my own links,in case of trouble - without IMG tag:
http://zapodaj.net/cd1116685024.jpg.html)

Btw i have the same problem with mod Rise Of Mankind - A new Dawn
But i made save on xp, copy it on C:\Saves, later from Vista and start a game from Save
( not from CIv4.beyondthesword.exe - it autoclosed after 5-10 min of loading a mod)
and everything work good
unfortunately making the same with your mod dont help

That usually means you changed something? Or it might be that Complete Edition game stuff, in that case i have no idea, you'd have to ask in the forum area.

Ive been searching a little about these in the forum, but no luck at finding them. Could you tell me where to look at? Thx in advance!

You'd have to D/L the whole game here:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/88900/nwa-with-sone-age

Ahovking
Jan 13, 2011, 06:34 AM
looks great, very similar to rise of mankind 2 but never a less Great Work :goodjob:

strategyonly
Jan 13, 2011, 07:09 AM
looks great, very similar to rise of mankind 2 but never a less Great Work :goodjob:

:lol: Actually its RoM 2.92, AND 1.75c and some of VD Cheetah edition.:p

rezaf
Jan 14, 2011, 01:16 PM
Hmm.

I tried this on a computer with XP and played for a couple of turns, but now I'm on my other computer which runs Vista and I cannot even start a game.
If I select "Single Player" the game displays the walking avatar sprite and eventually displays some error I cannot read, because the actual error window is only a frame with the title Microsoft C++ Runtime library.

Is this a known issue for which there is a fix?
_____
rezaf

JosEPh_II
Jan 15, 2011, 09:38 AM
Have you disabled the UAC for Vista? And are you running as Administrator?

These are known Major hindrances to playing BtS mods on Vista.

JosEPh

Edit: do you have the most up to date version of Java on your computer?

And one other important fact: if you have any Rise of Mankind OR A New Dawn vesrions in your BtS Mods folder they Will cause C2C to have problems. Remove these 2 Mods to a place outside the game (like My documents, etc but Not the BtS My Documents folder) and it may help with playing this mod.

rezaf
Jan 15, 2011, 01:11 PM
Have you disabled the UAC for Vista? And are you running as Administrator?

These are known Major hindrances to playing BtS mods on Vista.

JosEPh

Edit: do you have the most up to date version of Java on your computer?

And one other important fact: if you have any Rise of Mankind OR A New Dawn vesrions in your BtS Mods folder they Will cause C2C to have problems. Remove these 2 Mods to a place outside the game (like My documents, etc but Not the BtS My Documents folder) and it may help with playing this mod.

UAC is disabled, running as administrator user.

I'm not sure about Java ... why does that matter?

I don't have RoM nor New Dawn installed.
_____
rezaf

JosEPh_II
Jan 16, 2011, 10:45 AM
Because it's used by the AND portion of C2C.

strategyonly
Jan 18, 2011, 04:24 AM
UPDATED: 18 Jan 11 5:15 am Version 7

Added Thief/Rogue/Assassin/Sharpshooter/Ambusher, added Great Prophets (Thunderbrd) can provide religions, around 80 new buildings (Hydro), new loading screen(Hydro), new civics(Hydro), and alot of tweaks from Hydro and Dancing Hoskuld.

This is a NEW way to play with these new units, you cant play the old way anymore.

Hydromancerx
Jan 18, 2011, 05:33 AM

Added Thief/Rogue/Assassin/Sharpshooter/Ambusher, added Great Prophets can provide religions, around 40 new buildings.

This is a NEW way to play with these new units, you cant play the old way anymore.

Between the the dec 25th version and this version I added around 80 new buildings (4 building updates with around 20 each). Also I added one promotion and a brand new civic category. Plus a bunch of tweaks to existing buildings. As well as providing the other loading screen. Needless to say I have been very busy.

marcgarc
Jan 18, 2011, 07:31 AM
You'd have to D/L the whole game here:
http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/88900/nwa-with-sone-age

Uupss! File not found... Im afraid i'm not being able to get this one, at least not at this URL

strategyonly
Jan 18, 2011, 07:38 AM
Uupss! File not found... Im afraid i'm not being able to get this one, at least not at this URL

Thats because as of TODAY i deleted it, sorry. Had to make room for updated mods.

Between the the dec 25th version and this version I added around 80 new buildings (4 building updates with around 20 each). Also I added one promotion and a brand new civic category. Plus a bunch of tweaks to existing buildings. As well as providing the other loading screen. Needless to say I have been very busy.

And thx you very much;)

rezaf
Jan 18, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'm back on my other computer, so I can't verify just now if Java was/is the problem.

Another thing: Is Assets/XML/GlobalDefines.xml the correct place if I want to lift the wonders/city limitation (MAX_WORLD_WONDERS_PER_CITY)?

Playing on normal maps with 8 AIs, one runs out of cities in which to build wonders VERY soon. I realize this feature is probably "inherited" from another mod, but I really think there should be a limitation for wonders/era/city instead. So you can only build, say two ancient era wonders, two classical era, two medieval era etc.
Just an idea.

Anyway, for the time being, is that the correct file in which to changed the aforementioned key to "-1" to lift the wonder limit?
_____
rezaf

marcgarc
Jan 18, 2011, 12:29 PM

This version is still a complete and standalone, isn't it?
I'm asking this because of installer size, which is quite smaller than the previous one

V6 --> 1'08 GB
V7 --> 844 MB

Thats because as of TODAY i deleted it, sorry. Had to make room for updated mods.

Don't mind, I'll try to get it in another way.
Are you planning to add new civs in a future to C2C?

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 18, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'm back on my other computer, so I can't verify just now if Java was/is the problem.

Another thing: Is Assets/XML/GlobalDefines.xml the correct place if I want to lift the wonders/city limitation (MAX_WORLD_WONDERS_PER_CITY)?

Playing on normal maps with 8 AIs, one runs out of cities in which to build wonders VERY soon. I realize this feature is probably "inherited" from another mod, but I really think there should be a limitation for wonders/era/city instead. So you can only build, say two ancient era wonders, two classical era, two medieval era etc.
Just an idea.

Anyway, for the time being, is that the correct file in which to changed the aforementioned key to "-1" to lift the wonder limit?
_____
rezaf

Yes, or you could choose the "Unlimited Wonders" option in the custom game screen to the same effect.

JP Bison
Jan 18, 2011, 12:55 PM
hello strategyonly.

In caveman to cosmos, how can we open borders with other civilizations? Usually we can once we get writing but in all the games ive played, the open border option does not appear in the diplomacy screen when i contact other civilizations on my continent. It does not even appear in red. Therefore, I cannot have foreign trade routes. The only way I found to get foreign trade routes was to build the adam smith wonder but its way after writing....

Also, are you aware that in this mod we are pretty much always in golden age once we discover sacrifice cult and priesthood? I mean, as soon as we can build sacrificial altars (which start a golden age), I am in golden age for like 200 turns in a row only by building an altar in each city. Its that way until i have no choice but to research humanism.

Kissa
Jan 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
When i try it i had a "runtime error", then crashed...

Why ?

strategyonly
Jan 18, 2011, 02:29 PM
hello strategyonly.

In caveman to cosmos, how can we open borders with other civilizations? Usually we can once we get writing but in all the games ive played, the open border option does not appear in the diplomacy screen when i contact other civilizations on my continent. It does not even appear in red. Therefore, I cannot have foreign trade routes. The only way I found to get foreign trade routes was to build the adam smith wonder but its way after writing....

Also, are you aware that in this mod we are pretty much always in golden age once we discover sacrifice cult and priesthood? I mean, as soon as we can build sacrificial altars (which start a golden age), I am in golden age for like 200 turns in a row only by building an altar in each city. Its that way until i have no choice but to research humanism.

When i try it i had a "runtime error", then crashed...

Why ?

Which version are you on?

JP Bison
Jan 18, 2011, 03:41 PM
Which version are you on?

not version 7, the one before that.

strategyonly
Jan 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
not version 7, the one before that.

Then try the NEW one, i'd rather not answer any question(s) on older version, sorry.:(

btw Welcome to CFC.

JP Bison
Jan 18, 2011, 04:52 PM
is version 7 the latest one then?
thanks

WimpyTheWarrior
Jan 19, 2011, 01:13 AM
Oh man, I've been waiting over a week now for my new uber-computer to arrive. My old gaming rig finally wore out and I've been Civ-free since 12 Jan, waitin' on the new 'puter. I've got a nice start to v6 but the GP sounds perfect for me. Can't wait.......

I am SO BORED!!! Guess I'll wander over to Civ-5 Discussions and read about today's dramas. It's like the Jerry Springer show over there.

Healz
Jan 19, 2011, 02:09 AM
Same here, I'm waiting on a new computer to arrive. Hopefully managed to get in before the flood rush of people replacing flood-damaged stuff, both individuals,businesses and schools. Looking forward to my new computer rig though.
Healz ;-)

strategyonly
Jan 19, 2011, 02:33 AM
Oh man, I've been waiting over a week now for my new uber-computer to arrive. My old gaming rig finally wore out and I've been Civ-free since 12 Jan, waitin' on the new 'puter. I've got a nice start to v6 but the GP sounds perfect for me. Can't wait.......

I am SO BORED!!! Guess I'll wander over to Civ-5 Discussions and read about today's dramas. It's like the Jerry Springer show over there.

Same here, I'm waiting on a new computer to arrive. Hopefully managed to get in before the flood rush of people replacing flood-damaged stuff, both individuals,businesses and schools. Looking forward to my new computer rig though.
Healz ;-)

Good for both of you guys, you'll need it for this HUGE mod:lol:;)

WimpyTheWarrior
Jan 19, 2011, 03:37 AM
@strategyonly:

I got v7 to launch on my laptop and maybe I can play a small map game. I am laughing so loud when the music started! Pure genius, sir, puuuuuure genius. I don't want to say any more and spoil the surprise for others.

strategyonly
Jan 19, 2011, 05:39 AM
EDIT: OK a NEW dll has been provided that works faster in the turn times here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10132079&postcount=807

strategyonly
Jan 20, 2011, 12:41 AM
Thunderbrd = Author of Divine Prophets

Ok, Limited Religions doesn't harmonize well with DP as I need to do some additional considerations there. At the moment, DP should override any effect from Limited Religions though I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't Playtested this combination.

Choose Religions OFF + Divine Prophets = Prophets may initiate only those religions you've qualified for based on the tech prereqs you've earned. Thus, if you have Monotheism and a prophet, you may spread (and if it hasn't yet been spread, initiate by so doing) Judaism. Even if you have a prophet, if you haven't reached Monotheism, you can't spread Judaism.

Choose Religions ON + Divine Prophets = Any time you get a prophet, you may spread ANY religion and if you're the first to do so, you initiate the holy city upon spreading. There is no chance of failure for a prophet.

Interesting unexpected result discovered in playtesting: The religious icon that appears overriding the tech icon in the research-able techs will NOT appear IF the religion that tech normally earns has been founded, even if no civ has achieved that tech yet. However, it WILL appear if the religion HASN'T been founded, even if a civ HAS reached that tech.

This makes it difficult to know if you're heading for a religious tech that has already been earned by another civ or not. Not sure how or if I should fix that... I've been enjoying the mystery as to whether you're going to be the first to reach a given religious tech. Takes some educated guessery to figure out how opponent x just got that prophet that just spawned... did he birth it or did he reach it by a tech, and if by tech, which one?

Hydromancerx
Jan 20, 2011, 02:06 AM
@strategyonly:

I got v7 to launch on my laptop and maybe I can play a small map game. I am laughing so loud when the music started! Pure genius, sir, puuuuuure genius. I don't want to say any more and spoil the surprise for others.

Yeah I can't stop listening to it. Its both hilarious and catchy. And Montezuma IS a douchebag.

rezaf
Jan 20, 2011, 05:48 AM
A simple gameplay related question for those of you who've been playing with this kind of mods for a while:

How are you supposed to handle the gazillion religions?
I think at one point I researched about a dozen techs in succession, and every single one of them founded it's own religion. Since I only had four cities...

Are religious victories even possible under such conditions?
I saw there's a game option about "Religion decay" or something, the description of which said it'd cause "less popular" (whatever that means) religions to disappear or something - is that working as I'd expect it to from the description, i.e. like religions have developed irl over the millennia?

I felt totally overwhelmed by the tons of religions that were founded in my cities and was hoping experienced players might have a tip or two how to deal with it.

Edit: The only downside to limiting the religion flood would be the health bonus issue. Lots of religious buildings come with a health bonus, and not having them would prevent larger cities from ever being clean. Decisions, decisions...
_____
rezaf

strategyonly
Jan 20, 2011, 07:50 AM
A simple gameplay related question for those of you who've been playing with this kind of mods for a while:

How are you supposed to handle the gazillion religions?
I think at one point I researched about a dozen techs in succession, and every single one of them founded it's own religion. Since I only had four cities...

Are religious victories even possible under such conditions?
I saw there's a game option about "Religion decay" or something, the description of which said it'd cause "less popular" (whatever that means) religions to disappear or something - is that working as I'd expect it to from the description, i.e. like religions have developed irl over the millennia?

I felt totally overwhelmed by the tons of religions that were founded in my cities and was hoping experienced players might have a tip or two how to deal with it.

Edit: The only downside to limiting the religion flood would be the health bonus issue. Lots of religious buildings come with a health bonus, and not having them would prevent larger cities from ever being clean. Decisions, decisions...
_____
rezaf

Which version are you talking about first.

Then try Divine Prophets and nothing else checked about religions.

I never played for religious victory, dont like it. The Culture one for sure does NOT work. Infact the only one i play is Conquest, nothing else.

PoliticalMonkey
Jan 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
This may be a dumb question, but where would I find the extra civ download pack for C2C?

strategyonly
Jan 20, 2011, 10:52 AM
This may be a dumb question, but where would I find the extra civ download pack for C2C?

EDIT: OK, in the first post i just updated the Extra Civs.

marcgarc
Jan 20, 2011, 01:32 PM
EDIT: OK, in the first post i just updated the Extra Civs.

Thx very much!! :worship:
Looking for extra civs to add on top of Prehistoric NWA for last two weeks!

strategyonly
Jan 20, 2011, 01:37 PM
Thx very much!! :worship:
Looking for extra civs to add on top of Prehistoric NWA for last two weeks!

Try the new D/L its even better, plus a new way to play (think how to play, that is):p

marcgarc
Jan 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
Try the new D/L its even better, plus a new way to play (think how to play, that is):p

Ok, I'm following your advice! C2C V7 downloading!

Bahmo
Jan 20, 2011, 08:03 PM
I downloaded this and tested it a little bit. Here are my thoughts:

*The prehistoric era is indeed superior to that in Quot Capita. It actually feels like a unique new portion to the game that we haven't seen before; whereas in QC it's too much like it's just a tacked on annoyance to be gotten through quickly. I also like that instead of new technologies making obsolete improvements detrimental, they upgrade the improvements to the new types. However, I think newer types of improvements should have better bonuses than the ones they replace.

*Nazi Germany should not be its own civilization. There is really no historical rationale for that.

*I like that you've expanded the civics, but some of them seem pretty redundant. I don't see, for example, why one category has Monarchy, Democracy, Representative Democracy, and Federal, and another has Senate, Parliament, and President. The way I see it, the categories should be "Head of State" (replaces current "Government;" ie; King, Prime Minister, President, Party Chairman) and Sovereignty (replaces current "Power;" in other words, where the leader derives his power from; ie Vassalage, Nobles, Clergy, Senate, Parliament, Junta, Technocracy.) So you're on the right track, but I'd switch thing around a little to be more realistic and less confusing. China technically has a president but isn't a democracy; Sweden is a monarchy and also considered the most democratic country on Earth, and the mod should be able to replicate that.

*I love the Brentalfloss song! :lol:

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 20, 2011, 08:31 PM
*I like that you've expanded the civics, but some of them seem pretty redundant. I don't see, for example, why one category has Monarchy, Democracy, Representative Democracy, and Federal, and another has Senate, Parliament, and President. The way I see it, the categories should be "Head of State" (replaces current "Government;" ie; King, Prime Minister, President, Party Chairman) and Sovereignty (replaces current "Power;" in other words, where the leader derives his power from; ie Vassalage, Nobles, Clergy, Senate, Parliament, Junta, Technocracy.) So you're on the right track, but I'd switch thing around a little to be more realistic and less confusing. China technically has a president but isn't a democracy; Sweden is a monarchy and also considered the most democratic country on Earth, and the mod should be able to replicate that.

FYI, Civics are inherited from RoM where they went through 6-12 months of discussion and refinement to get to this stage.

Bahmo
Jan 20, 2011, 10:22 PM
I was not aware of that, but I still don't understand them, not exactly. I'll start the mod up and read their pedia entries, though.

strategyonly
Jan 21, 2011, 05:37 AM
*The prehistoric era is indeed superior to that in Quot Capita. It actually feels like a unique new portion to the game that we haven't seen before; whereas in QC it's too much like it's just a tacked on annoyance to be gotten through quickly. I also like that instead of new technologies making obsolete improvements detrimental, they upgrade the improvements to the new types. However, I think newer types of improvements should have better bonuses than the ones they replace.

I agree Hydro went thru a mind racking four months to get to this, of me and him going back and forth of were things should be (he is the thinking man), then DH came in also and offered some tweaks, which makes for a great team so far.:goodjob: We only just got over the Prehistoric Era, now for the other Era's and adding a new one (maybe).

Hydromancerx
Jan 21, 2011, 06:35 AM
We only just got over the Prehistoric Era, now for the other Era's and adding a new one (maybe).

No maybe, we need to go to the cosmos!! :D Galactic Era and space techs! :D Like you said we make a good team. If we can pull of the prehistoric era, we can make a Galactic Era if we put our heads together (and maybe Civ_Fuhrer's head too). :D

1morey
Jan 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
Strategyonly....I will kiss the ground you walk on :lol:. I have been playing cIV for AGES, and finally I am downloading the mod I have been hoping for. Thank you :goodjob:. And I'll let you know if something goes quirky :scan:.

strategyonly
Jan 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
*Nazi Germany should not be its own civilization. There is really no historical rationale for that.

Thats like saying there should not be any Union or Confederate Civs either, because its all USA:crazyeye: Then if you do that you'd also have to take out the Native American Tribes also, part of the USA. etc etc

Bahmo
Jan 21, 2011, 06:17 PM
I'll answer your bit about the Nazis later, in the meantime; please look into this file that will not finish loading at the end of a turn.

strategyonly
Jan 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
please look into this file that will not finish loading at the end of a turn.

Did you put the NEW dll in yet? Did you have an Advanced Start?

Bahmo
Jan 21, 2011, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure what you mean about the new dll, but I did use an Advanced Start, if that's an issue.

Also, when I set up the game, I'm pretty sure I didn't enable increasing difficulty, but in the game I saw the difficulty increase anyway. Why?

strategyonly
Jan 22, 2011, 12:38 AM
I'm not sure what you mean about the new dll, but I did use an Advanced Start, if that's an issue.

Also, when I set up the game, I'm pretty sure I didn't enable increasing difficulty, but in the game I saw the difficulty increase anyway. Why?

Look at the first post just above the DOWNLOAD HERE there is a new dll that makes things faster.

I also just found out that you have to go in the BUG screen and uncheck Flexible Difficultly (A NEW DAWN) it slows things down also, plus "we" have been noticing also lately that when people do advanced starts for some reason, things go a little weird.

1morey
Jan 22, 2011, 06:12 AM
Got it downloaded this morning.....went to play it. I went Terra, Temperate, Medium Sea Level, Huge, Settler difficulty, Marathon, France/Napolean, Got to initializing, then Init Graphics, and I get a MAF error. Everytime I reach Init Graphics. What.The.Feck.:mad: I really would like to play this Mod, and this is the only Mod I have not been able to play yet, so what do I do.

Also I would like to point out, in the game speed it only goes down to Epic, is there a way to scroll down or something or is the game speeds shown the only ones available.

EDIT: I have deleted two other mods, and am in the process of compressing my computer to see if I can play it finally.

strategyonly
Jan 22, 2011, 06:15 AM
Got it downloaded this morning.....went to play it. I went Terra, Temperate, Medium Sea Level, Huge, Settler difficulty, Marathon, France/Napolean, Got to initializing, then Init Graphics, and I get a MAF error. Everytime I reach Init Graphics. What.The.Feck.:mad: I really would like to play this Mod, and this is the only Mod I have not been able to play yet, so what do I do.

Also I would like to point out, in the game speed it only goes down to Epic, is there a way to scroll down or something or is the game speeds shown the only ones available.

More than likely then you need to look at the Recommended Specs of this HUGE mod, around in the 1 - 4 posts.

Yeah, that only happens when you Play Now, i dont like it either cause i only play on Epic speed, but thats the way Afforess made it, (I also ONLY play Custom Scenarios, and haven't any MAF, errors nothing) and i myself dont know how to change it, sorry (Anyone else know how?)

1morey
Jan 22, 2011, 07:24 AM
More than likely then you need to look at the Recommended Specs of this HUGE mod, around in the 1 - 4 posts.

I don't see the recommended Specs, but I read the Memory Allocation threads, and they didn't really mean much to me (Every post was a "I have a MAF", and in between was a "well is Firaxis going to fix it", or "Well mine is fine after doing such and such to my save game"" Well, save games aren't a problem, it is just getting this Mod to work so I can play it. I have had a few MAfs before in regular BTS games, but this mod is the only one I am havign a problem. I really would like to play this Mod, but now I can't even get past initializing, so yeah, I really would like someone to fix this error, otherwise I am wasting my time trying to play the unplayable.

EDIT: Here is my specs (I think these are my specs, I am not entirely computer literate):

Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack Build 6002
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 5515
System Type: X86-Based PC
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e, 1600 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: Acer v1.00, 12/3/2008
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory: 2.75 GB
Available Physical Memory: 1.54 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 5.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 4.42 GB
Page File Space: 3.04 GB

Also, I have a 60GB Harddrive, 23.5 GB free space, if that is important.

strategyonly
Jan 22, 2011, 02:49 PM
I don't see the recommended Specs, but I read the Memory Allocation threads, and they didn't really mean much to me (Every post was a "I have a MAF", and in between was a "well is Firaxis going to fix it", or "Well mine is fine after doing such and such to my save game"" Well, save games aren't a problem, it is just getting this Mod to work so I can play it. I have had a few MAfs before in regular BTS games, but this mod is the only one I am havign a problem. I really would like to play this Mod, but now I can't even get past initializing, so yeah, I really would like someone to fix this error, otherwise I am wasting my time trying to play the unplayable.

EDIT: Here is my specs (I think these are my specs, I am not entirely computer literate):

Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack Build 6002
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 5515
System Type: X86-Based PC
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e, 1600 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: Acer v1.00, 12/3/2008
SMBIOS Version: 2.4
Hardware Abstraction Layer: Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory: 2.75 GB
Available Physical Memory: 1.54 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 5.72 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 4.42 GB
Page File Space: 3.04 GB

Also, I have a 60GB Harddrive, 23.5 GB free space, if that is important.

OK here is a review of your PC from a Magazine:

Despite the AMD Athlon 64 sticker, the AMD Athlon 2650e processor running at 1.6 Ghz in this Acer doesn't seem to handle multithreading or 64-bit applications. The Athlon 2650e is a single-threaded 32-bit processor. The Acer Aspire 5515 has an ATI Radeon Xpress 1200 video card with up to 1919MB memory available. However, in reality, the Acer Aspire 5515 isn't a computer for hard-core computer geeks. It simply doesn't have the horsepower for the best games and the most taxing applications.

Bahmo
Jan 22, 2011, 07:23 PM
Look at the first post just above the DOWNLOAD HERE there is a new dll that makes things faster.

I also just found out that you have to go in the BUG screen and uncheck Flexible Difficultly (A NEW DAWN) it slows things down also, plus "we" have been noticing also lately that when people do advanced starts for some reason, things go a little weird.

How do I "go in the BUG screen?"

Edit: Also, why do a lot of the buildings not render in this mod? (That is; they don't show up in my cities after being built.)

WimpyTheWarrior
Jan 23, 2011, 04:24 AM
How do I "go in the BUG screen?"

Alt-J will open the multi-tab BUG mod options. On the A New Dawn tab, left side, is the Flexible Difficulty. Make sure that box is unclicked.

You can also open the BUG Mod Options from the icon in the upper left corner to the right of the chart icon. (It's a icon of a lady bug!) In the lower left corner of my screen is hover text when I hover the mouse over an icon.

I suggest you take a look at all the tabs as there is a lot of options on the interface in the BUG mod. You can remove many personal annoyances from how you want the game to look.

Re: Your question about the new buildings not rendering, do you mean on the left-side building list inside the city screen, or on the main screen? I see everything in the city list but only a few new buildings on the main screen - I can pick out the Carnival and some kind of hut, but not much else.

Unendingfear
Jan 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
pic (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5286/5382095929_e8fa116d01_b.jpg)
How do I get rid of all that? :confused:

Bahmo
Jan 23, 2011, 05:36 PM
Alt-J will open the multi-tab BUG mod options. On the A New Dawn tab, left side, is the Flexible Difficulty. Make sure that box is unclicked.

Thanks; that worked.

Re: Your question about the new buildings not rendering, do you mean on the left-side building list inside the city screen, or on the main screen? I see everything in the city list but only a few new buildings on the main screen - I can pick out the Carnival and some kind of hut, but not much else.

I mean the latter; those buildings that have graphics display the buildings in the city screen, but look at the main map, and they aren't often visible in the city. They also seem to appear when first built (sometimes) and then dissapear, something that doesn't seem to happen in the core game or other mods. Any idea why?

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 23, 2011, 05:42 PM
I mean the latter; those buildings that have graphics display the buildings in the city screen, but look at the main map, and they aren't often visible in the city. They also seem to appear when first built (sometimes) and then dissapear, something that doesn't seem to happen in the core game or other mods. Any idea why?

The game only displays a building in a city for a finite time, so as you build more others disappear. It is defined in the buildings infos XML but since I have not done buildings I am not sure where, so you will need to look at the Modiki. I suspect that some buildings don't have a graphic for city display but that they have a higher display priority than some of those with a graphic hence all the space in the cities.

pic (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5286/5382095929_e8fa116d01_b.jpg)
How do I get rid of all that? :confused:

I would say that the game does not have authority to write teh ini information to that folder. Make sure you either you have the authority or run Civ with the administrator access. It it trying to write your preferences for use next time.

Bahmo
Jan 24, 2011, 11:24 AM
The game only displays a building in a city for a finite time, so as you build more others disappear. It is defined in the buildings infos XML but since I have not done buildings I am not sure where, so you will need to look at the Modiki. I suspect that some buildings don't have a graphic for city display but that they have a higher display priority than some of those with a graphic hence all the space in the cities.

I'll have to look into that, then. Indeed, buildings with no actual graphic seem like they should have low priority--and at least wonders should have a very high priority.

Unendingfear
Jan 24, 2011, 06:27 PM

I would say that the game does not have authority to write teh ini information to that folder. Make sure you either you have the authority or run Civ with the administrator access. It it trying to write your preferences for use next time.

How do I set it so it has the Authority? I can't run Civ IV with Administrator access due to something odd that doesn't let me run mods, without using a special mod loader program. ._.'

rezaf
Jan 25, 2011, 12:09 AM
Which version are you talking about first.

Then try Divine Prophets and nothing else checked about religions.

I never played for religious victory, dont like it. The Culture one for sure does NOT work. Infact the only one i play is Conquest, nothing else.

Sorry for the late reply.
My report was about the prior version, but I guess it was meaningless anyway - the victory types have been given an overhaul and there apparently is no religious victory any longer. Fair enough.

Some more things I noticed:

The Armored Car doesn't have a graphic. When built, you get a unit consisting of pink balls, and while building it, it seems to "break" the city, i.e. you cannot edit the queue or something, because all the city displays is a blank city screen.

At least one building has corrupted map graphics - when it's rendered on the Civ4 map, the building is visible, but it has a pink canvas. I have yet to single out which one it is.

How does the Loyalty promotion work? It's description says it makes garrisoned cities 100% less likely to revolt, but they sure enough still revolt at their leisure, even if garrisoned by one or more units with that promotion.

How are you supposed to play with the way borders work now? When you seize a city even remotely close to another enemy city, it basically gets no tiles to work, everything around it stays in enemy hands, even when the next closest city of the enemy is like 3 fat crosses away. Are there game options that change this?

The late game tech tree is sort of a mess - it's easy to get to more or less modern unit in one area and then, much later, research far more primitive units in another area. For example, I researched the Marine like a dozen techs before I researched the (by then useless) Early Tank. Also, there are a ton of naval units that are essentially identical. (Probably all not your fault.)

In the modern era, the game basically crashes every other turn with a MAF. (I know, I know, not your fault.)
Edit: The game really crashes every turn by now (no, I'm sadly not exaggerating). Before, lowering texture resolution and playing in a lower resolution and windowed had bumped it up to 4 to 5 turns, but right now, it's unplayable.
I grinded through a war vs. France - about 50 turns while crashing every single turn, or rather the second time a turn needed to be processed. It also wasn't MAF errors, but something else.
I have Visual Studio installed from the Civ5 devkit thingie, and it pops up and wants to debug.
Anyway, it's a fun mod, but totally and utterly unplayable, at least for me. Sad.

One final issue: Inflation goes completely nuts. I have like to run at 50% tax (!), and my biggest actual cost factor is city maintenance at about 475. Inflation is 2500(!) And it rises every turn by a considerable amount.

I'e given up on that game and probably on the mod as well. Not because I don't want to play it, but because I can't. Like I wrote, sad.
_____
rezaf

WimpyTheWarrior
Jan 25, 2011, 12:51 AM
How do I set it so it has the Authority? I can't run Civ IV with Administrator access due to something odd that doesn't let me run mods, without using a special mod loader program. ._.'

What operating system are you using, Vista or Win-7? 32bit or 64 bit? It should be similar for either. I have 64bit Vista and Win-7 on 2 separate PCs. I'll give detailed steps for Vista-64bit below, and if you have Win-7 the steps will be similar.

Using Windows [file] Explorer navigate to c:\Program Files(x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword. In that folder is an exe file called Civ4BeyondSword.exe. Right click that file and select Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, and there should be a box labeled "privilege level" with an entry "Run this program as an administator". Click that option, click OK, and now everytime you launch the game it will run with Windows Local Administrator permissions.

If you have a 32bit O/S the Program Files directory will not have the "(x86)" suffix.

Unendingfear
Jan 25, 2011, 01:57 PM
What operating system are you using, Vista or Win-7? 32bit or 64 bit? It should be similar for either. I have 64bit Vista and Win-7 on 2 separate PCs. I'll give detailed steps for Vista-64bit below, and if you have Win-7 the steps will be similar.

Using Windows [file] Explorer navigate to c:\Program Files(x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond The Sword. In that folder is an exe file called Civ4BeyondSword.exe. Right click that file and select Properties. Click the Compatibility tab, and there should be a box labeled "privilege level" with an entry "Run this program as an administator". Click that option, click OK, and now everytime you launch the game it will run with Windows Local Administrator permissions.

If you have a 32bit O/S the Program Files directory will not have the "(x86)" suffix.

Thanks mate, all fixed, for now anyways. :)

1morey
Jan 26, 2011, 03:57 PM
However, in reality, the Acer Aspire 5515 isn't a computer for hard-core computer geeks. It simply doesn't have the horsepower for the best games and the most taxing applications.

Which I don't understand. I have no problems whatsoever with Legends of Revolution, Thomas' War, or Fall from Heaven 2 (and Fall Further), since the latter two are big mods themselves, I don't see why my laptop can't play C2C.

strategyonly
Jan 26, 2011, 04:25 PM
Which I don't understand. I have no problems whatsoever with Legends of Revolution, Thomas' War, or Fall from Heaven 2 (and Fall Further), since the latter two are big mods themselves, I don't see why my laptop can't play C2C.

Actually they are NOT even close to the size of C2C, sorry. None of these are even over 1 GB, mine is around 1.8 more towards 2GB. I dont even think super laptops made nowadays can handle this HUGE mod, sorry:blush:

Here is my Suggested PC requirements:

2.6 GHz (64 bit) but 32 will do
4 GB memory but three will do
10 GB free space but 60 is better
1 GB graphics card, but 256 might work

now take away the WILL DO(might work etc) parts and thats what it really needs.

I am gradually getting rid of excess stuff, but that takes alot of time. I will try and get it down to 1.5, i hope.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 26, 2011, 04:26 PM

Graphics mainly, there are many civs each with their own graphics for buildings, cities and units. I have to play on lowest graphics settings and put up with the bright pink units and all the other units that all look the same but aren't. No other mod has as many buildings as this mod.:mischief::mischief:

Unendingfear
Jan 26, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hmmm, but now the mod keeps freezing up at turn 224. :s

Bahmo
Jan 26, 2011, 09:23 PM
I want to talk a little bit more about the city graphics: I understand that when there's this many buildings added to the mod, they can't all be displayed at once, and there's a need for visibility priorities. But why are only around two displayed at once, compared to the core game and mods where it's much more?

strategyonly
Jan 26, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hmmm, but now the mod keeps freezing up at turn 224. :s

We found out that if you use Advanced Start, it does that alot.

I want to talk a little bit more about the city graphics: I understand that when there's this many buildings added to the mod, they can't all be displayed at once, and there's a need for visibility priorities. But why are only around two displayed at once, compared to the core game and mods where it's much more?

The main reason, almost ALL the new buildings are Art/Empty is because of memory space, this is a HUGE mod, and if we put in all the buildings it takes 10 times more memory to use, and then you couldn't even get to Renaissance Era without a MAF. Thus we have adopted for the Art/Empty.nif

Unendingfear
Jan 26, 2011, 11:03 PM

The main reason, almost ALL the new buildings are Art/Empty is because of memory space, this is a HUGE mod, and if we put in all the buildings it takes 10 times more memory to use, and then you couldn't even get to Renaissance Era without a MAF. Thus we have adopted for the Art/Empty.nif

Ah, alright... I guess I better use the quick start. ><

strategyonly
Jan 26, 2011, 11:34 PM
Ah, alright... I guess I better use the quick start. ><

If your looking for a fun game try Narnia 17 civs, if your looking for an Impossible game to win, but at less trying hard, , try Continental Divide, all Private maps, i still bet no one can beat CD.:p:p

KrumStrashni
Jan 27, 2011, 04:43 AM
Hi , guys

I just recently installed the C2C mod and started playing it....and since i was anyway a fan of RoM ND now i find this one even better. So, i got a bit hooked up :D

but , unfortunately, my game reached a point at which i cannot progress because my turn won't change...or at least just freezes.

Situation is the following: Turn no 632/2170 1836 BC Romans

CPU 3 ghz, Ram 4 gb, video 1 gb...Win Xp SP3 32bit

I looked thorough different issues here on the forum and seems other people do experience these types of problems but i couldn't find and allmighty solution

Please, help me because i don't want to restart my campaign :(:(

here's the file too, saved just before the issue

strategyonly
Jan 27, 2011, 05:12 AM
Hi , guys

I just recently installed the C2C mod and started playing it....and since i was anyway a fan of RoM ND now i find this one even better. So, i got a bit hooked up :D

but , unfortunately, my game reached a point at which i cannot progress because my turn won't change...or at least just freezes.

I looked thorough different issues here on the forum and seems other people do experience these types of problems but i couldn't find and almighty solution

Ok well first off, thx for trying the mod, and Welcome to CFC, now you dont need to post in both places, the mod thread then also the idea thread, thx. One will suffice.

Did you start with Advanced Start by any chance, if you that is a known slowdown bug.

rezaf
Jan 27, 2011, 06:12 AM
Maybe a 64 bit OS plays a much bigger role in this?
I can match all the requirements outlined by strategyonly except I'm running on XP 32 (and have tried it with Vista 32, which runs even worse).

I'm in ~1950 AD and the game is unplayable.

Maybe some folks that can finish games without too much trouble (a MAF every dozen turns or something should be considered bearable) can post their system specs?

Even when removing all will do/might work's (except the 64 bit OS) strategyonly's system requirements don't cut it.
Well, it's playable, but only until maybe early Industrial age, then crashes get too frequent.
_____
rezaf

Nevets_
Jan 27, 2011, 09:14 AM
Maybe a 64 bit OS plays a much bigger role in this?
I can match all the requirements outlined by strategyonly except I'm running on XP 32 (and have tried it with Vista 32, which runs even worse).

I'm in ~1950 AD and the game is unplayable.

Maybe some folks that can finish games without too much trouble (a MAF every dozen turns or something should be considered bearable) can post their system specs?

Even when removing all will do/might work's (except the 64 bit OS) strategyonly's system requirements don't cut it.
Well, it's playable, but only until maybe early Industrial age, then crashes get too frequent.
_____
rezaf

Please post what speed & mapsize you play on, 1950 AD on a Small map at Normal speed is going to be entirely different than 1950 AD on a Giant Map at Snail speed. I haven't gotten a MAF in RoM, AND, or C2C for years, but I've been running a 64bit (first Vista, now Win7) computer with 4 GB of ram for years too.

Have you read this thread: 3GB Switch for WinXp x32bit for Civ4 ROM (how to do it tutorial) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362969) ? I can't vouch for how well it works since I've never needed it, but if you have 3 or 4 GB of ram it might help.

Thunderbrd
Jan 27, 2011, 10:18 AM
@ Strategyonly... I don't think the bug has much to do with advanced starts. Nor is it a matter of the strength of the computer. Still working to nail it down but so far it seems to have more to do with the AI thinking it has more workers than it does? I'm not sure how this is happening but it appears that has something to do with it as that's the general error we're getting before it stops processing. (It starts closing down some of the subprocessing which makes it 'freeze' where it is.) It could also be an issue with some of the early espionage units and their missions... an error may be lurking there.

rezaf
Jan 27, 2011, 11:50 AM
Please post what speed & mapsize you play on, 1950 AD on a Small map at Normal speed is going to be entirely different than 1950 AD on a Giant Map at Snail speed.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, and yeah, you're right of course.
I play at Normal speed on Standard mapsize with 7 AIs (since new civilizations do spawn in C2C, it's about 12 AIs, at least half of which are one or two city "minors" or even only rebels that have no cities at all).

I did enable the additional memory for XP back when I set it up in the first place, but thanks for pointing out the issue again, since it also mentiones you need to do something with Vista as well - like I posted earlier in the thread, I couldn't get C2C running on my Vista comp at all, and I thought it automatically dealt with 4GB out of the box, so maybe that'll do the trick there. Who knows, maybe C2C will be playable on that rig - though it only has a 512MB GPU, iirc.

That said, it doesn't help one bit on the other computer, which meets all specs except a 64 bit OS. Ah well, the next upgrade will come, and if I want to go beyond 4GB, I'll be forced to go 64 bit anyway, so I can always try C2C again then.
_____
rezaf

KrumStrashni
Jan 27, 2011, 01:19 PM
Ok well first off, thx for trying the mod, and Welcome to CFC, now you dont need to post in both places, the mod thread then also the idea thread, thx. One will suffice.

Did you start with Advanced Start by any chance, if you that is a known slowdown bug.

No, i didn't set up any advanced start...straight from prehistoric....i don't think it's a PC issue too, i tried the same savegame with a friend on a computer twice as powerful as mine and also having a 64bit os.....I started again a new game but the fear of that happening again bothers me... cause it's a rather unpleasant surprise to get it after 2 days have gone playing :) but i am a fanatic :d

I play on a large map with 10 civs hoping to reduce possible mafs at later stages? Do u think it has some influence on it?

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 27, 2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply, and yeah, you're right of course.
I play at Normal speed on Standard mapsize with 7 AIs (since new civilizations do spawn in C2C, it's about 12 AIs, at least half of which are one or two city "minors" or even only rebels that have no cities at all).

I did enable the additional memory for XP back when I set it up in the first place, but thanks for pointing out the issue again, since it also mentiones you need to do something with Vista as well - like I posted earlier in the thread, I couldn't get C2C running on my Vista comp at all, and I thought it automatically dealt with 4GB out of the box, so maybe that'll do the trick there. Who knows, maybe C2C will be playable on that rig - though it only has a 512MB GPU, iirc.

That said, it doesn't help one bit on the other computer, which meets all specs except a 64 bit OS. Ah well, the next upgrade will come, and if I want to go beyond 4GB, I'll be forced to go 64 bit anyway, so I can always try C2C again then.
_____
rezaf

Your rig seems to be about the same as mine and I can play a game past industrial on an earlier version of C2C perhaps as I play huge snail games and it takes about 3-4 (8hr) days to get that far. I do get MAF/CTDs then but not that often perhaps every 10-20 turns. the main thing I learnt was to delete the cache on a MAF before loading the game would extend the time before the next MAF. I also had to but graphics down to lowest setting.

If Advance start is causing problems then load game should also.:confused:

If you are using empty graphics you should also reduce the display priority so those with graphics display longer and your city does not look empty. Unless this is what you are after.

Bahmo
Jan 27, 2011, 08:48 PM

And theoretically, the buildings without art sometimes have higher priority than the ones that actually do, resulting in the blank appearance, right?

jimmygeo
Jan 27, 2011, 11:16 PM
OMG! What an awesome mod! I've never seen so many techs, units, buildings etc. in any other mod I've played, and I've been playing Civ4 since it came out. Just finished a game as Romans at noble level. It took me 102+ hours to achieve a domination victory. I'll post again with some problems I ran into but I just had to say how very impressed I was with all the work you put into this.

jimmygeo

Hydromancerx
Jan 28, 2011, 01:58 AM
OMG! What an awesome mod! I've never seen so many techs, units, buildings etc. in any other mod I've played, and I've been playing Civ4 since it came out. Just finished a game as Romans at noble level. It took me 102+ hours to achieve a domination victory. I'll post again with some problems I ran into but I just had to say how very impressed I was with all the work you put into this.

jimmygeo

Glad to see you like it. There are many more buildings, techs (and maybe even some units) to come. This is just the tip of the iceberg. RoM and AND are great mods to build upon and with great modders like Dancing Hoskuld and strategyonly to work with it makes this mod even better. We all love the feedback so please let us know. It makes all our hard work worth while. So thanks for the nice feedback.

Also it saves me time when making the buildings. Honestly when I look at the buildings I look at the button graphics and not the 3D mesh.

Argroww
Jan 28, 2011, 07:02 AM
I get the unhappy feeling that as this mod develops more and more I'll be less capable of running it (even though those changes will just make me want to play it more!!!). It was mentioned eariler that it's not unusual for MAFs or CTDs to occur every 10-20 turns, that would make the game unplayable for me :-(

Might have to go back to older mods that are no longer being developed.....oh well at least I've discovered the 3GB switch which will make those mods a little more stable.

Thunderbrd
Jan 28, 2011, 11:05 AM
I get the unhappy feeling that as this mod develops more and more I'll be less capable of running it (even though those changes will just make me want to play it more!!!). It was mentioned eariler that it's not unusual for MAFs or CTDs to occur every 10-20 turns, that would make the game unplayable for me :-(

Might have to go back to older mods that are no longer being developed.....oh well at least I've discovered the 3GB switch which will make those mods a little more stable.

Theoretically, the opposite should be true. We're working on a lot of debugging issues and cleaning things up so while we are also making a lot of additional feature progress, there is also work on making things run smoother. As time goes on, you will see a more solid platform. Honestly, while a lot of new buildings, techs, units, etc... may cause the game to process a bit slower, it should not be causing crashes... that's the result of flawed programming, which is something that is being addressed at this time.

QuantumProjects
Jan 28, 2011, 12:53 PM
Something I think is worth addressing is the in-game Civilopedia, which is very obsolete (I'm talking about AND 1.75, but since you're building upon it, I humbly believe it applies to your mod also). I've seen entries for stack combat (which were removed since RevDCM because it was buggy, so I've heard), many ghost entries which appear in the index but has no corresponding article, and things like that. For a highly complex mod, proper documentation saves time and helps a lot!

I also think the UI can be polished a little bit, but I haven't played much to give detailed feedback on this.

strategyonly
Jan 28, 2011, 12:59 PM
Something I think is worth addressing is the in-game Civilopedia, which is very obsolete (I'm talking about AND 1.75, but since you're building upon it, I humbly believe it applies to your mod also). I've seen entries for stack combat (which were removed since RevDCM because it was buggy, so I've heard), many ghost entries which appear in the index but has no corresponding article, and things like that. For a highly complex mod, proper documentation saves time and helps a lot!

I also think the UI can be polished a little bit, but I haven't played much to give detailed feedback on this.

Can you give an example, alot of things going on right now, so an example would be nice, thx.

See that just like saying something is wrong, but when doing so, pls put in also what you think it should be, makes it so much nicer to understand, thx.

Thx for writing and trying this mod.:)

QuantumProjects
Jan 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
Can you give an example, alot of things going on right now, so an example would be nice, thx.

See that just like saying something is wrong, but when doing so, pls put in also what you think it should be, makes it so much nicer to understand, thx.

Thx for writing and trying this mod.:)

Ok, sorry for not clarifying things better, I've just started playing. I'll play it longer and as soon as I have something more consistent to post, I'll do it.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 28, 2011, 01:18 PM

The UI is written in python, is complex (naturally) and looks more like '70s spaghetti code at first glance. I am sure it could be done better but who has the time;) Not that comments are not still welcome.

QuantumProjects
Jan 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
When I've clicked on the link to the needed DLL, which links to a post from Thunderbrd, I can't find the link to the DLL itself. Is it included with the mod installation package? Otherwise, where can I find the DLL?

P.S. I've just seen I needed the DLL now.

strategyonly
Jan 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
When I've clicked on the link to the needed DLL, which links to a post from Thunderbrd, I can't find the link to the DLL itself. Is it included with the mod installation package? Otherwise, where can I find the DLL?

P.S. I've just seen I needed the DLL now.

Sorry i forgot to delete that line, the one in the DL is still good, thx.

Bahmo
Jan 28, 2011, 05:32 PM

What's this about a 3 GB switch? Sounds like it could be a boon to the modding community.

strategyonly
Jan 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
What's this about a 3 GB switch? Sounds like it could be a boon to the modding community.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362969 This is for XP Professional only, if you need something else do a search on the forums for your PC.

QuantumProjects
Jan 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
Man, I feel obliged to give some good feedback about your mod after my first 2-hour playing time.

This mod far surpassed my expectations. The main lobby song is really funny, the entire mod loads a LOT faster than AND used to, and Prehistoric Era (with Civs that don't have rigid, pre-defined starting techs) is AWESOME! Seriously, now you feel you're ruling over your Civilization destiny from the very beginning.

I was wondering, though, if this mod is playabe on Multiplayer hotseat (I have a couple of friends who might enjoy it), even if it isn't fully balanced for multiplayer. You stated in your first topic that this mod isn't for multiplaying, and I wonder if that is due to technical issues or balance ones.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 28, 2011, 06:50 PM
Man, I feel obliged to give some good feedback about your mod after my first 2-hour playing time.

This mod far surpassed my expectations. The main lobby song is really funny, the entire mod loads a LOT faster than AND used to, and Prehistoric Era (with Civs that don't have rigid, pre-defined starting techs) is AWESOME! Seriously, now you feel you're ruling over your Civilization destiny from the very beginning.

I was wondering, though, if this mod is playabe on Multiplayer hotseat (I have a couple of friends who might enjoy it), even if it isn't fully balanced for multiplayer. You stated in your first topic that this mod isn't for multiplaying, and I wonder if that is due to technical issues or balance ones.

Multi player is not fixed in the DLL we use for C2C. There is a new DLL which fixes that problem but it will need to be merged with what we use. This means it will take awhile and that after we can find someone willing to try and do it.

Thunderbrd
Jan 28, 2011, 08:03 PM

I've been playing a hotseat game and have been experiencing no problems with that. (Except maybe that its all the more addictive... lol)

jimmygeo
Jan 28, 2011, 11:21 PM
Well, I'm into my second game (as Babylon and I'm whipping a$$!). But I have found one very irritating problem--the diplomacy screen comes up without text in the dialog box (see attached screenie) which make any kind of diplomacy impossible. I suspect that it's something in the BUG module.

jimmygeo

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 28, 2011, 11:37 PM
Well, I'm into my second game (as Babylon and I'm whipping a$$!). But I have found one very irritating problem--the diplomacy screen comes up without text in the dialog box (see attached screenie) which make any kind of diplomacy impossible. I suspect that it's something in the BUG module.

jimmygeo

This is sometimes the sign of a bad install or code confusion. You did delete any previous version of C2C before installing? If not delete and reinstall. Also clear the cache just in case.

If you have any of the following in the mods folders temporally rename them by putting a "z" or some such in the front of their names.

Try running again. Is the problem still there?

Bahmo
Jan 29, 2011, 03:32 AM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=362969 This is for XP Professional only, if you need something else do a search on the forums for your PC.

I have Windows 7 64-Bit. Is this operating system better for running huge mods, or are there also some tools that make it easier here?

strategyonly
Jan 29, 2011, 03:49 AM
I have Windows 7 64-Bit. Is this operating system better for running huge mods, or are there also some tools that make it easier here?

If you have Win 7 64 bit, it already has the 3GB switch, so dont mess with anything in Win 7, ok.

Hydromancerx
Jan 29, 2011, 05:35 AM

Glad you like it. I agree that having no set tech for you civ in the beginning make it feel a lot more personal. That's one thing about RoM, AND and now C2C, is that it has a more personal touch in the variety of things you can do. Really now you can play in a variety of styles and still have fun.

BTW what speed are you playing on? A 2 hour game on normal is much different then a 2 hour game on snail for instance.

JosEPh_II
Jan 29, 2011, 08:06 AM
Was finally able to D/L the new 7 version (my Sat. ISP D/L and U/L limited per month :p ).

Hope to get some playtime this weekend.

ClassicFrog
Jan 29, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hello folks.

It's my first post here but I've been lurking around for a while.
I've been playing the mod a bit ... or rather trying to. With previous versions I was having flickering interface bug. With the latest version my game stops working after few hundred rounds after hitting the END TURN button. I'm here not for complaining about that however as I'm sure the mod will get more stable as it gets more polishing.

What I wanted is to drop you some constructive critic feedback about prehistoric era that I was able to play through before my games got unstable.

The first thing I've observed was that I couldn't turn off the goody islands short of deleting it from the mod folder (which I did as I never use goody huts as a house rule).

Another thing is the Hunter and Hawk units, that, if I'm not mistaken, were borrowed from Fall from Heaven mod. Hunter seems to be overpowered for it's era and Hawk honestly doesn't make much sense in your mod. Let me explain. While in fantasy mod having a hawk as a scout is an interesting concept it would never work like that in reality as hawks are just animals unable to communicate to their masters what they saw when flying over the terrain ... obviously :P Now, hunters ... I like the unit in general but it should come into game much much later, perhaps as a counterpart for explorer unit (having ability to attack thus actively hunting for animals to populate carnival for example). As it is now, with str 3 and move 2, they make any military unit up to axeman and horseman a waste of hammers. If you don't want to kick the Hunter out of it's era then perhaps you might concider tweaking the unit to have severe penalty against all but animall units to reflect a skilled band of hunters being able to track and kill any game but not prepared for combat against trained warriors properly equipped for a battle.

Another unit I'd like to comment on is battering ram. I like having an unit able to batter fortifications but I don't see how could it be doing collateral damage at all. As it is the unit can even make a mess to enemy's stack on the open field ... or even forest. I would suggest drastically lowering it's strentght (or prevening it from direct attack whatsoever) so it would be only usable to bombard city's defence and not much more, as it was with real rams at their time.

Speaking of overpowered units ... barbarian penguins ... bloodthirsty penguins decimating warriors and workers alike? I do like easter eggs but come on :crazyeye:

Now, I'd like to say few words about great generals. They're great when they're turned into field generals and I love the way they work ... however they do get overpowered A LOT when promoted properly. You see, they have them promotions that help other units withdraw from battle ( up to 70% chance ). That stacks with unit's own ability and your mod allows 100% withdraw chance, thus making them units unkillable when on attack ( and unkillable on defence as long as player enabled defenders withdraw and the unit have a plot to run to ). Also attacking with str 0.1 unit (that has 100% of withdrawal thus immortal) gives tons and tons of experience to the unit and is easy and strightforward to abuse. If I remember correctly Fall form Heaven 2 had 90% cap on withdraw chance. That might sort the issue out. You might also concider nerfind down the bonuses of general's promotions as well as make them activated after specific warfare tech is discovered.

As far as promotions go I'd like to share with my thoughts about woodsman and guerilla promotions. Woodsman III is very interesting promotion and I don't understand why Guerilla III doesn't have extra bonuses compared to Woodsman. Perhaps a withdrawal chance and heal while moving could be sneaked in to balance them two out. Also I don't understand why melee units can get III rank promotion and recon units are limited only to II rank. If anything it should be other way around to reflect recons indirect support for the main task force and main force's lack of subtelty of recon units.

I didn't get anywhere to have sniper (and alike) units but I've read civilopedia about them targeting recon units first. Perhaps it might be better to have them to target the weakest unit instead (something like Marksman promotion in Fall from Heaven 2) and have a promotion (like, say, spotter) allowing the unit to defend first agaist marksman attack to counter it. Again, like I said, I didn't get as far in the game so it's only theoretical.

Also, any chance to have an option in the BUG menu to activate and deactivate particular relligions? I don't see vodoo fitting the mod to be honest.

Well ... phew, that was a long one. hope I didnt bore you to death haha. And don't take it as a rant, I just want to give you some alternatives you might want to concider when updating your great mod. Keep up the good work :goodjob:

PS. Sorry for all them typos and spelling. I'm a terrible typer :P

QuantumProjects
Jan 29, 2011, 11:58 AM
Glad you like it. I agree that having no set tech for you civ in the beginning make it feel a lot more personal. That's one thing about RoM, AND and now C2C, is that it has a more personal touch in the variety of things you can do. Really now you can play in a variety of styles and still have fun.

BTW what speed are you playing on? A 2 hour game on normal is much different then a 2 hour game on snail for instance.

I am playing it on snail speed, which feels much more real to me. I couldn't take 'vanilla' BTS where a warrior, in normal speed, would cross something like 10km (a tile) in twenty-five years (what were they doing, camping every 10m?). Now they cross it in ten years, sure a lot of time, but closer to being realistic.

The real touch with being able to personalize your civ is that you can make it more realistic. More than once I spawned as Egypt on a coastal tile with a single farming resource, surrounded by water, what made me literally lose some time researching fishing with no initial use for Agriculture.

So, are you now incorporating new dlls to the game? I though you wouldn't (as stated in the first topics of this thread). Now I see how the game loads faster than AND used to.

EDIT: @Classicfrog pointed out some interesting things to address to, IMHO. I personally have nothing against those hawks, however. What I did find out is that when you settle a city on a coastal tile, surrounded by water tiles (except one tile of earth), it generates two gatherers instead of one. Maybe it's a bug, I don't know, I was playing with Spain, but the gatherer spawned on a coastal tile (literally in the water), although I was able to move it to a land tile.

Finally, Classicfrog, I crossed over the same issue with goody hunts and unknown islands, but I've found out that it is related to the mapscripts. I used Smartmap, and there are options to disable goodies, it may overrride the other option (No Tribal Villages).

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 29, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hello folks.

It's my first post here but I've been lurking around for a while.
I've been playing the mod a bit ... or rather trying to. With previous versions I was having flickering interface bug. With the latest version my game stops working after few hundred rounds after hitting the END TURN button. I'm here not for complaining about that however as I'm sure the mod will get more stable as it gets more polishing.

What I wanted is to drop you some constructive critic feedback about prehistoric era that I was able to play through before my games got unstable.

Welcome and thanks for the comments, some of which are in my sphere so I'll answer. Some aren't but I'll reply anyway. ;)

I think we have found and eliminated the flashing bug in the latest version. If you are still getting it we would like to know.

The first thing I've observed was that I couldn't turn off the goody islands short of deleting it from the mod folder (which I did as I never use goody huts as a house rule).

that is exactly what you are supposed to do with modules you don't want. Either that or move the folder to the "unloaded modules" folder. There is also a way to do it by editing the MLF file in the modules folder. You find its reference and change 1 to 0 in the load tag.

Another thing is the Hunter and Hawk units, that, if I'm not mistaken, were borrowed from Fall from Heaven mod. Hunter seems to be overpowered for it's era and Hawk honestly doesn't make much sense in your mod. Let me explain. While in fantasy mod having a hawk as a scout is an interesting concept it would never work like that in reality as hawks are just animals unable to communicate to their masters what they saw when flying over the terrain ... obviously :P Now, hunters ... I like the unit in general but it should come into game much much later, perhaps as a counterpart for explorer unit (having ability to attack thus actively hunting for animals to populate carnival for example). As it is now, with str 3 and move 2, they make any military unit up to axeman and horseman a waste of hammers. If you don't want to kick the Hunter out of it's era then perhaps you might concider tweaking the unit to have severe penalty against all but animall units to reflect a skilled band of hunters being able to track and kill any game but not prepared for combat against trained warriors properly equipped for a battle.

I got the hunter, hawk and hunting lodge from WoC maybe they got it from Fall from Heaven. I thought I had fixed it so it had a str of 2 with a bonus against animals but that was not what was released. I do have an update for it in the pipeline.

The problem with moving it later is that there will not be any animals left for it to hunt. It is hard coded in the base game that animals start to disappear after a set turn. Testing suggests that having the hunter available as a special scout works fairly optimally although there is some tweeking still to do. Mostly with changing the tech for some of the buildings. The SubdueAnimals mod was designed for a mod which does not have a prehistoric era and I would like to keep it balanced in both. Luckily because we are using the WoC and BUG coding standards this looks like it will be easy enough.

I keep wanting to remove the hawk unit but there are howls of protest when I do.;)

Another unit I'd like to comment on is battering ram. I like having an unit able to batter fortifications but I don't see how could it be doing collateral damage at all. As it is the unit can even make a mess to enemy's stack on the open field ... or even forest. I would suggest drastically lowering it's strentght (or prevening it from direct attack whatsoever) so it would be only usable to bombard city's defence and not much more, as it was with real rams at their time.

We have been meaning to discuss rams for awhile, StrategyOnly commented that they were not correct but none of us could come up with suggestions on how to fix it. We do have graphics for two or more units but no ideas. thanks for yours.

Speaking of overpowered units ... barbarian penguins ... bloodthirsty penguins decimating warriors and workers alike? I do like easter eggs but come on :crazyeye:

Actually they are emus, ostriches, cassowaries and moa in formal wear:lol:. They are some of the graphically challenged units. they have been removed in the latest version until we can get some more appropriate graphics. If you don't want to download the latest version then go to the "Caveman2Cosmos/Assets/Modules/DancingHoskuld/SubdueAnimals/ folder and delete the graphicallychallenged folder. Note this will not be save game compatible.

Now, I'd like to say few words about great generals. ....

Also, any chance to have an option in the BUG menu to activate and deactivate particular relligions? I don't see vodoo fitting the mod to be honest.

I have not figured out how to do this yet. In the mean time just remove the unwanted religion folders from the DancingHoskuld/Custom_Religions folder. They were done this way, as different folders, for this very reason and will remain this way until I can figure out how to make them optional via options (game or BUG).

So, are you now incorporating new dlls to the game? I though you wouldn't (as stated in the first topics of this thread). Now I see how the game loads faster than AND used to.

We do have someone working on improving the AND dll but many of the loading speed improvements are because we are putting the art into FPAK files.

EDIT: @Classicfrog pointed out some interesting things to address to, IMHO. I personally have nothing against those hawks, however. What I did find out is that when you settle a city on a coastal tile, surrounded by water tiles (except one tile of earth), it generates two gatherers instead of one. Maybe it's a bug, I don't know, I was playing with Spain, but the gatherer spawned on a coastal tile (literally in the water), although I was able to move it to a land tile.

That means you got it from an goody island. ;)

Finally, Classicfrog, I crossed over the same issue with goody hunts and unknown islands, but I've found out that it is related to the mapscripts. I used Smartmap, and there are options to disable goodies, it may overrride the other option (No Tribal Villages).

I think Tribal Villages = goody huts.

Unfortunately disabling goody huts in the map script won't disable goody islands as they are added post map script.

Goody islands were designed to make the sea as interesting as the land (by Kathy). S/he also has a mod to give us back the three depths of sea as in Civ III, coastal, sea and (deep) ocean. The main problem with including that one is that we would need to redo all the sea units, techs and promotions. We also don't have the graphics for representing all three.

Bahmo
Jan 29, 2011, 01:42 PM
This game goes into "take forever to pass its turn mode" when the Incan Empire forms. And no; it's not an Advanced Start.

QuantumProjects
Jan 29, 2011, 01:57 PM
I think Tribal Villages = goody huts.

Unfortunately disabling goody huts in the map script won't disable goody islands as they are added post map script.

Goody islands were designed to make the sea as interesting as the land (by Kathy). S/he also has a mod to give us back the three depths of sea as in Civ III, coastal, sea and (deep) ocean. The main problem with including that one is that we would need to redo all the sea units, techs and promotions. We also don't have the graphics for representing all three.

In fact, disabling Tribal Villages did no good, they still spawn if "Goodies" in Smartmap is still set to Normal. I don't know how Kathy coded his mod, but is there no way to add a "GoodyHut" tag to the unknown islands? As far as I can see, they are terrain features (such as the Tribal Villages) and if they are tagged as goodies, they could be easily disabled with an in-game option.

I see no problem with having only two kinds of sea. And definitely you should keep working on the dlls, much can be achieved with the right code.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 29, 2011, 02:07 PM
In fact, disabling Tribal Villages did no good, they still spawn if "Goodies" in Smartmap is still set to Normal. I don't know how Kathy coded his mod, but is there no way to add a "GoodyHut" tag to the unknown islands? As far as I can see, they are terrain features (such as the Tribal Villages) and if they are tagged as goodies, they could be easily disabled with an in-game option.

Since Vincentz made the reef feature I have considered going back and seeing if I could convert the goody islands to a feature also. If I have time I will and see if they can be tagged the same as their land counter part.

I see no problem with having only two kinds of sea. And definitely you should keep working on the dlls, much can be achieved with the right code.

Unfortunately it has been discovered many times that some of the problems stem from the underlying engine (exe) and can't be fixed because the code has not been released. It isn't Firaxis code but something they bought so they can't release it.

QuantumProjects
Jan 29, 2011, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately it has been discovered many times that some of the problems stem from the underlying engine (exe) and can't be fixed because the code has not been released. It isn't Firaxis code but something they bought so they can't release it.

Then, let's get the best of what we can change in the code we have access to ;)

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 29, 2011, 02:43 PM

I just looked at the code. What I would have done and what you suggest form the basis of the mod but the game does not place the huts on the ocean or consider them as huts so python code was needed to implement them.

Which remonds me you need to do more than just delete the folder to get rid of them. You need to edit init.xml in the folder Assets/Config and remove the line containing goody islands
<load mod="Goody Islands"/>

Hydromancerx
Jan 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
I am playing it on snail speed, which feels much more real to me. I couldn't take 'vanilla' BTS where a warrior, in normal speed, would cross something like 10km (a tile) in twenty-five years (what were they doing, camping every 10m?). Now they cross it in ten years, sure a lot of time, but closer to being realistic.

I totally agree about the speed. I make all my mods in C2C with snail in mind. BTW if you want to know my recommenced setting go here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10066721&postcount=1035). Its what I play and test with.

Me, personally, no, since I only mod XML stuff. But we have like 3 or 4 active modders on C2C with various modding skills. I specialize in design and mostly buildings. However I have dabbled in promotions, civics and techs. I also helped make/pick out the main screen, loading screen and hilarious music.

Since Vincentz made the reef feature I have considered going back and seeing if I could convert the goody islands to a feature also. If I have time I will and see if they can be tagged the same as their land counter part.

Your reefs/sea rocks never show up on PW2. Could you make that map script put it in since I really like that map and think they should be included.

Thunderbrd
Jan 29, 2011, 06:19 PM
I've been working on debugging and various other projects with the .dll. Seems that's my position on the team ;) I realize this means others who wish to work on source code may need me to figure out how to post the sourcecode online here which is something I'm also working on but currently I can only offer a compiled .dll at a time. If anyone wants to work on SDK issues for this mod, talk to me and I'll work with you on that.

QuantumProjects
Jan 29, 2011, 06:21 PM
I totally agree about the speed. I make all my mods in C2C with snail in mind. BTW if you want to know my recommenced setting go here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10066721&postcount=1035). Its what I play and test with.

Me, personally, no, since I only mod XML stuff. But we have like 3 or 4 active modders on C2C with various modding skills. I specialize in design and mostly buildings. However I have dabbled in promotions, civics and techs. I also helped make/pick out the main screen, loading screen and hilarious music.

Thanks for the recommended settings, I'll give them a try.

And BTW, congratulations on your great work, this mod is surely the best one I've tried these days. And that "freak Montezuma" line in the song makes me laugh every time I hear it.

QuantumProjects
Jan 29, 2011, 06:27 PM
I've been working on debugging and various other projects with the .dll. Seems that's my position on the team ;) I realize this means others who wish to work on source code may need me to figure out how to post the sourcecode online here which is something I'm also working on but currently I can only offer a compiled .dll at a time. If anyone wants to work on SDK issues for this mod, talk to me and I'll work with you on that.

I've been through a xml tutorial already, and I'm reading about C++. It may take some time before I get some skill to do real programming, bu as I soon as I get it, I'll surely volunteer to help you guys, although this mod keeps me away from working all day (I've been trying to shut the internet off for a while, but I rely on it to work, you can see the problem...). I believe Civfanatics call this "The one more turn" problem...

jimmygeo
Jan 29, 2011, 09:01 PM
Damn! I d/led the latest version of C2C and installed it. It's even better than the former version, but I still can't see any diolog on the diplomacy screen. So what's up??? BUG in V. 7 seems to work better since I can access the BUG option screen without having the game freeze up as it did before. BTW, how does one empty the cach?

jimmygeo

Thunderbrd
Jan 29, 2011, 09:04 PM
You can change the caching settings in the civ ini file or you can simply clear it by holding down shift as you load (not sure which point this is necessary so I've been holding it down during all loading and initiating and it does seem to work.)

As for your problem with dialogue, not personally sure what's going on there.

dommain
Jan 30, 2011, 02:51 AM
There seems to to be a unit from a civilization with light blue that is showing 3 pinks circles. It crashes every time I look at the unit/move a unit in range. Was in the prehistoric era.

KrumStrashni
Jan 30, 2011, 02:19 PM
Hi again, guys

I have recently posted that bug issue but it couldn't get solved, so i restarted my game......

Hi , guys

I looked thorough different issues here on the forum and seems other people do experience these types of problems but i couldn't find and allmighty solution

HOWEVER, in the meantime I started a hotseat game with a friend. Everything was going well, great fun....until we reached again a point at which we just can't go on because turn won't change...basiclly the same issue as described above :((( His pc is quite ok ( RAM DDR3 6GB intel core i7 920@ 2.67 Ghz Nvidia Gforce gtx 285 Vista SP1 64)...We didn't use any advanced start either

I have attached the 2 last savegame files...game cannot go past turn 505, or year 345BC. It is a real pity because we invested almost 2 days of gameplay in this and it was amazing! ...It will be really bad if we can't go on...I hope u can help us :)

Thunderbrd
Jan 30, 2011, 03:38 PM
Apparently, we've pretty much fixed the critical freeze bugs but the currently compiled files with the fix are making saves from v7 uncompatible... I realize that's unfortunate and apologize for that because I know what a frustration that amounts to!

We still have some debugging to address according to my initial checks but for those frozen files applied, we were able to get them past the freeze until some incompatabilities have now made them unloadable. Efforts in this dept are ongoing.

JosEPh_II
Jan 30, 2011, 04:54 PM
I posted a savegame file in the RoM Modmod thread. The game hangs on a specific turn and won't respond to anything but the Restart button on the Computer. DH said you all might have a fix for thatand it's is probably bad xml.

If you could upload a "patch" for that that would be Much better than a complete new version D/L. It took me 2 hours to D/L version 7. :p

Otherwise I was having Great fun with the Rogue and Assassin units! Didn't know they couldn't "capture" cities till I had used them to eliminate all units in the target city. But the city stayed in the current owners control till I sent a Regular mil unit into it and then I Captured the city.

Thank you Tbrd for helping strategyonly with this mods development. :thumbsup:

JosEPh :D

Thunderbrd
Jan 30, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'll say a patch would be tough. BUT if you look back through these conversations, you may find where we discussed some of the debugging matters and be able to glean from that what you can do in your own xml files to make it possible to get past the point you're stuck at. I've been more of a pointer to finding the problems but Strategyonly may be able to give you some of the keys as he found them in the xml. I'm not sure exactly what he changed to be honest.

Dancing Hoskuld
Jan 31, 2011, 01:22 PM
If you could upload a "patch" for that that would be Much better than a complete new version D/L. It took me 2 hours to D/L version 7. :p
JosEPh :D

The main reason that a patch can't be done is that we are removing stuff. Or more precicely we are moving art form the folders to FPAK files. This makes the download smaller and game load faster. there is some evidence it may even make game turns slightly faster. (Did I add enough qualifiers there?)

I will look at making a list of changes between the versions to see what size an upgrade would be and what doco would be needed to describe what needs to be deleted from your earlier installation. The latest "test" version we are working with took me about 3hrs to download which is an improvement on v7.

strategyonly
Jan 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
The main reason that a patch can't be done is that we are removing stuff. Or more precisely we are moving art from the folders to FPK files. This makes the download smaller and game load faster. there is some evidence it may even make game turns slightly faster. (Did I add enough qualifiers there?)

I will look at making a list of changes between the versions to see what size an upgrade would be and what doco would be needed to describe what needs to be deleted from your earlier installation. The latest "test" version we are working with took me about 3hrs to download which is an improvement on v7.

Yeah i am trying hard to get alot of EXCESS units out, but its not as easy as it seems, cause in one way or another one thing leads to another, then that something goes wrong, and poof crash. It took me a whole month just to get 10 units deleted, alot with all these changes, and then trying to do testing, i haven't made it past Ancient Era in over two months, so i cant guarantee anything past that now:blush:

You guys KEEP coming up with the GREAT changes, that are the coolest, so i add them, then i have to start over all the time:lol::goodjob: