View Full Version : Be serious: Is the world going to be sucked into a black hole?

aimeeandbeatles
Sep 10, 2008, 06:01 AM
I'm worried. :(

GoodSarmatian
Sep 10, 2008, 06:42 AM
The leading critic is a Biochemist from Germany, and most Physicist don't think there will be a black hole or of there is one it will collapse within nanoseconds so I'm positive we have nothing to fear.

Snerk
Sep 10, 2008, 07:04 AM
Well, particles from space collide with the atmosphere all the time at the same speed as the ones in the Hadron Collider experiment. So if there was a real risk of a creation of a black hole, the skies would be full of black holes.

Metal Alloy Man
Sep 10, 2008, 10:08 AM
If it was possible for the LHC to destroy the earth in any way, nature would've already destroyed earth several thousand times over.

aimeeandbeatles
Sep 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
Thank you. I'm less worried now.

LucyDuke
Sep 10, 2008, 02:33 PM
No, it's not.

And if it did happen, you'd be too dead to mind.

mr_lewington
Sep 10, 2008, 09:03 PM
No, it's not going too. Even if it did, it would happen so fast you wouldn't notice it

Cutlass
Sep 10, 2008, 10:06 PM
it did, and here's a recreation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXzugu39pKM

Gigaz
Sep 13, 2008, 04:31 AM
People always think that if a microscopic black hole from LHC was an armlength away from them they'd be sucked in instantly. But thats nonsense. It probably wouldn't suck in a single proton.

qwertz
Sep 13, 2008, 05:04 AM
for comparison: the size of the black hole that might be produced at CERN compared to the size of a respirable dust particle is about the same as the size of that dust particle compared to the size of the universe.

So I really don't see how ppl can be sceared of a black hole of those proportions.

mdwh
Sep 13, 2008, 05:36 AM
People always think that if a microscopic black hole from LHC was an armlength away from them they'd be sucked in instantly. But thats nonsense. It probably wouldn't suck in a single proton.Well, the argument is that it would grow gradually - first sucking in things on an atomic scale, but continually growing larger.

I don't think the world's going to end, but I would be curious to know what the effects of a microscopic black hole would be, in the hypothetical case that Hawking radiation didn't exist.