View Full Version : Thread Closing

omichyron
Aug 11, 2002, 02:08 AM
I recently started a poll asking people what their favorite day of the week was. Someone sort of threadjacked it, and recieved a couple of moderator warnings. Then the thread was closed.

:confused: What happened here? If an individual causes trouble, shouldn't that individual be dealt with separately, rather than closing whatever thread he was posting in at the time? On the other hand, I admit that as far as topics go it wasn't much of one. Was the thread closed because the question was deemed irrelevant? If this is so, why is there no moderator statement to tell me such a thing? My next intention was to start a "favorite month of the year" thread, but I hesitate to do so, as I do not understand whether or not I have just been warned by the unexplained closing of this one.

Incidently, yes, I was just taking thread topics from the list that someone had posted in the favorite color poll that stated some poll topics so stupid he hoped they never showed up. I was wondering how long before he noticed ;) Now that I've admitted it, though, I guess I will stop....

My complaint is both minor and simple: No explanation was given to the closing of the "favorite day of the week" thread
So, my question is simple: Why was that thread closed?

Ren
Aug 11, 2002, 03:43 AM
It appeared to me that it was closed only because of the threadjacking and trolling that redtom was doing...

Btw if you do make a favourite month thread, make sure to include Smarch (13th month) :D

Finvola
Aug 11, 2002, 04:02 AM
I just looked at the thread again..someone always has to come along and ruin the fun, don't they?

Matrix
Aug 11, 2002, 04:23 AM
Not always. But sometimes. Luckily we have good mods for the Colloseum forums. ;)

Omichyron, I don't really have an answer for you, but I'm sure the closer will explain it soon. But they don't have the time to explain every action they make to the ones involved.

In the mean time, just start your favorite month of the year thread. ;)

Lefty Scaevola
Aug 11, 2002, 07:58 AM
The thread itself was a somewhat spammy, yet it is going to be cleaned up and reopened later today after after the crowd has had an oportunity to see the warnings and edits before the off topic posts are eliminated. It is one of my SOPs to temporaily lock a thread with a flamewar before cleaning it up a day or two later.

Becka
Aug 11, 2002, 09:24 AM
Some threads just get beyond redemtpion.....

dannyevilcat
Aug 11, 2002, 12:09 PM
That flame war was a rather bizarre development. Given the nature of that topic, redtom did the CFC equivalent of highjacking a bus full of preschoolers.

starlifter
Aug 11, 2002, 01:31 PM
I noticed that closure, too. I assumed it was closed because of all the wantings that the one posted had for his threadjacking, and some of the other posters that were joining in with turning a day of the week thread into a bashing of democracy thead.

PS, This was my first post with the browser Opera! Holy cow, this is so far superior to MS IE, and even Netscape! I'll post more in the Computer Talk Forum.

Whew, and Opera is sooooo fast!

@ Becka: I remember you asked a question about MS IE stealing the focus with new (or popup) windows some time back. The solution is trivial with Opera... just click a setting, and it never happens again. Still not possible with MS IE, though. Be sure to check the CT Forum later.

Finvola
Aug 11, 2002, 01:33 PM
LOL Dannyevilcat

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Aug 11, 2002, 03:15 PM
Hmm, a flame war and a thread jack?

If I had seen it first... :slay:

Lefty Scaevola
Aug 11, 2002, 03:35 PM
Eyup, Thunderfall also thought I was lenient to Redtom.

Alcibiaties of Athenae
Aug 11, 2002, 03:46 PM
To laid back in that Texas sun, you need to crack that cyber whip a bit.

In fact, I see that some people are starting to taunt with laughing smilies and such again, if I continue to see that....