View Full Version : Style Changer on Forum Home

Thunderfall
Aug 15, 2002, 11:29 AM
A little drop down box that let's you change style easily and also see how many other users are using each style is added to the forum main page. :)

baseballtwin86
Aug 15, 2002, 11:37 AM
Hmm, TF is breaking out the mods today :D .

spycatcher34
Aug 15, 2002, 11:39 AM
Ah yeah kinda like poly but the style are actually differnt from each other. :)

Knight-Dragon
Aug 15, 2002, 11:45 AM
Convenient but I'll stick with the blue yonder for now. For awhile anyway. It'll also be interesting to see how many are using which template. :)

Thunderfall
Aug 15, 2002, 11:55 AM
The numbers of users for the default style is not accurate. I'll fix that little bug later today... don't want to make too many changes at this busiest hour of the day. :)

Dell19
Aug 16, 2002, 02:38 AM
A nice function which has tempted me to change style...:)

starlifter
Aug 16, 2002, 09:02 AM
I've been using the Edit Options page, which shows 2065 red users, 46 green, 128 blues, and 27 pale. I assumed it does not update untl somone actually logs on and registers activity on the DB, right?

Thunderfall
Aug 16, 2002, 10:27 AM
I modify the changer a little bit so now it does change your style preference in the database. :) We should get a more accurate count this way.

Pillager
Aug 16, 2002, 10:30 AM
You're well into all this, aren't you TF? :goodjob:

Thunderfall
Aug 16, 2002, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Pillager
You're well into all this, aren't you TF? :goodjob:
It probably puts additional stress on the server because people love to change style (since it's so convenient). But what the heck... :crazyeye: :D
I assumed it does not update untl somone actually logs on and registers activity on the DB, right?
It seems people need to change their style preference at least once for it to count...

starlifter
Aug 16, 2002, 01:22 PM
I just posted about this in another thread I read, but will post again here, since it's topical. The number of Defaults tells us all a very very interesting Demographic!!! It is not a glitch!! The sum of all the styles tells us the number of active users of CivFanatics since the time you implemented the hack a day or two ago!

Spycatcher pointed out (in the other thread), and very astutely, that resetting it will show 20,000 users of the default, when in fact that is not true! about 17,000 have made no choice at all, and to show eveyone using default is in itself inaccurate. I think it is very interesting to have that juicy tidbit (number of active CFC users since the Style Choice Hack).

Keep it as is (e.g., no reset for everyone=default)!!

:D

:goodjob:

Matrix
Aug 16, 2002, 01:39 PM
Why do we see what style others have? I find that a bit overdone. I mean, it's interesting to see how many people have what style, but I don't have to know it person for person. That only makes it more crowded.

Padma
Aug 16, 2002, 02:49 PM
Matrix has a point. I don't care if anyone knows what style I use, but why bother?

Juize
Aug 16, 2002, 03:07 PM
Matrix has a point. I don't care if anyone knows what style I use, but why bother?

My opinion also, if somebody thinks this is necessary and can come up with
a reason, it can stay, but IMHO otherwise it should be removed.

gunning1
Aug 16, 2002, 10:21 PM
Well, it makes it a lot eaiser if you want to change it now. I might start changing mine to a different one each day. (Blue, default, white, green, blue, ect.) Just for fun.

Dell19
Aug 17, 2002, 02:02 AM
Its kind of useful though, as its quite interesting to see who else is using the same style.

BCLG100
Aug 17, 2002, 03:47 AM
it might be useful for guests to click on so they can see whats going on

starlifter
Aug 17, 2002, 07:43 PM
Personally, I'm neutral about whether or not to include the info beside each post. It is interesting, but cluttery, which balance out (ergo neutral).

But... assuming the info is posted like it has been (with the skin info), then don't reset all users to a style... the extra info you can infer from the pull down skin tab is interesting, and there is no downside. :)

Ohwell
Aug 20, 2002, 04:39 PM
Ugh, so many new things to get used to...

The Overlord
Aug 21, 2002, 01:14 PM
Well of course the new styles are fancy and cool especially the dark blue one and for the style changer you can make a nice coffee-break game out of it by betting with your colleagues which style will be chosen the most than you can bet on the exact figure and such things. I've tried it out yesterday and it was quite funny. Give it a try.