View Full Version : Civ IV activiation/download help (digital version)

nickjbor
Feb 01, 2009, 01:05 PM
Hello.

I downloaded a digital version of Civ IV a long time ago from trymedia on my computer, only to later realize I already had the CDs hidden away. This was about 2 years ago or so. I deleted that version and re-installed the CD version and all was good.

Anyways, I decided to play Civ IV again only to find that I dont have the CD! I think I have it to a friend a while back, but this person is no longer a friend! Or perhaps (I've messaged them on facebook, waiting for a response)

Anyways, so I remembered that digital version, looked though my old e-mails and was able to re download it. It told me to update the new patch, and I did, and all was good and well. Civ IV with 1.74 patch works perfectly fine on my desktop with XP. But... I want it on my laptop, and this is where I am running into problems.

My laptop can go online but usually is not. I took the downloaded EXE file and put it on a USB key, and moved it to the Laptop. I opened/installed it, but it would not work as I did not have Direct X 9, which needs internet access to download. So (just now) I've logged on from the laptop and downloaded it. The only problem is that now Civ IV does not want to open at all, and I have not even touched the patch (which apparently is tricky, as my Laptop also uses vista)

Right now all I can get it to do, even when I try to run it as an administrator, is to have it to ask me to cancel or allow (I pick allow) then it tells me it needs to finish installation by activating the product, then it tells me it needs to connect to the internet... then I get a blank window, with a web address at the top that says get_ something _ license.html

Does anyone know what is going on? Have I used my 3 activations without knowing it - would it not inform me of such? I have not yet downloaded the patch, should I? And if I do, what need I look out for? In other words I'm totally lost as I cannot find anyone else who ran into this problem before.

ori
Feb 01, 2009, 01:16 PM
the game itself does not have limited licenses (unlike some other games) - however trymedia has apparently changed its activation scheme recently - you will likely need to contact them - the last two people posting here have reported that they needed a new version of the 1.74 patch emailed to them by trymedia...

Welcome to cfc :band:

nickjbor
Feb 01, 2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks.

I found this:
http://csc.trymedia.com/csc/question/publisher=take2/contentid=6edd3be723e85d4657ab44a9fc256d01/offering=bnd_d2_174/question=technical_23/position=0_5/index.html

which helped. But now I'm stuck at another stage. I'll see if I can figure it out, but if not I'll have to just give up for today and try tomorrow as my time is limited.

ori
Feb 01, 2009, 01:50 PM
if you have more problems, just post - maybe someone here can help :)

nickjbor
Feb 01, 2009, 01:56 PM
Heh. Its "working" At least its "starting". I dont know if I'm about to run into a brick wall with the patch issue or not...

Wait.... something weird is happening :S

wait... this is good... good... yes...

WHOO HOO!! ITs working!! :D

Thanks for the help, and I hope this thread helps anyone else who ran into the same problem I did (in the end it had to do with my IE settings, as the program uses IE to download itself)