View Full Version : Information Wiki @ Wikidot

DVS
Feb 06, 2009, 01:43 PM
UPDATED

http://world2009.wikidot.com

Those of you who would like to help edit and update the WIKI, please sign up for an account through the "How to join this site?" link on that site. The quickest thing to do is use the secret password when joining, so you don't have to wait for me to approve you.

Secret password: w2k9

You may want to start by adding some info about yourself to the contact page.

I have added all the pages I can think of, if I forgot any, please add them.

If you are not a modder but want to contribute to the World 2009, you can help by bringing some of the (final) information from our forum to our wiki. :D

MasterOfDomain
Feb 06, 2009, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a great idea, as long as we can provide enough content (which I think we can) wikis generally are a lot better than FAQs. I'd be happy to help formulate the information and moderate the wiki.

Joecoolyo
Feb 06, 2009, 04:20 PM
Rhyes' wiki was successful and very useful when I played his mod. So I have no doubt that ours will work just as well. Great idea dude :thumbsup:

ianinsane
Feb 06, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'll be happy to contribute. :) Great idea!

DVS
Feb 06, 2009, 06:26 PM
Sweet, glad to have you guys on board with this idea. I'll start working on getting it started up this weekend. :)

DVS
Feb 06, 2009, 07:05 PM
As you guys sign up for wikidot accounts, post your usernames here and I'll add you as moderators.

Joecoolyo
Feb 06, 2009, 08:18 PM
As you guys sign up for wikidot accounts, post your usernames here and I'll add you as moderators.

Whats a wikidot account :confused:

NikNaks
Feb 07, 2009, 05:09 AM
We do have a built in wiki on SourceForge, y'know ;)

EDIT: Link (http://world2008mod.wiki.sourceforge.net/)

DVS
Feb 07, 2009, 03:20 PM
Yes, I saw that too, would you rather use that one?

The reasons I thought we should use wikidot included;

on first glance it looked a little more flexible, and user friendly.

I thought it would help avoid confusion. People see sourceforge in the URL and it doesn't stand out as being just a wiki.

URLs:
http://world2008mod.wiki.sourceforge.net/

or

http://world2009.wikidot.com

But, if the SF one is better for whatever reason, let's use that one. Perhaps it would just be easier to keep everything in one place (sf)?

Your call buddy, doesn't really matter to me which one we use.

DVS
Feb 07, 2009, 04:00 PM
Whats a wikidot account :confused:

Just go to http://world2009.wikidot.com/, and sign up! Free of course.

It asks for a secret password, use: w2k9.

That account will let you edit the wiki. :D

DVS
Feb 07, 2009, 04:43 PM
NikNaks I hope you are cool with wikidot, you went offline before we discussed it really and I was eager to get started. :D

We may want to sticky this thread, and delete the jabber chatroom thread. If we can't delete, at least un-sticky.

Joecoolyo
Feb 07, 2009, 06:40 PM
Ok, I'm not sure about the secret password thing (where am I entering this???), but I did create an account if you want to make me a moderator er sumthing (my account is obviously Joecoolyo :D )

edit: Joined before reading the first post lol, you'll have to add me manually dude, srry

DVS
Feb 07, 2009, 06:54 PM
@Joecoolyo: I sent you an invitation, log in to your account there, you should see something.

For other people; click on the "How to join this site?" link, that is where you enter the password.

Joecoolyo
Feb 07, 2009, 07:39 PM
Thnks, I accepted :D

ngyuishing
Feb 07, 2009, 11:09 PM
For the civilization page, I suggest one page for each civ and links to these pages only in the civ page, so that the civ page won't be too long.

DVS
Feb 08, 2009, 02:38 AM
hmm, interesting idea. Sure, we can give that a try.

Glad to have you contributing ngyuishing. :-)

Joecoolyo
Feb 08, 2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome aboard ngyuishing :beer:

Great idea :thumbsup:

MasterOfDomain
Feb 09, 2009, 11:40 AM
Okay I've signed up (under my proper internet presence, MasterOfHisOwnDomain) and am all set to edit the appropriate pages, however apparently I require special permission in order to edit the pages. :(

DVS
Feb 09, 2009, 01:37 PM
You have to sign up for our wiki, and enter that secret password when you sign up!

I've added you, now you should just have to log in and accept the invitation.

MasterOfDomain
Feb 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
I knew this was too simple.. I haven't recieved any invitation, sorry. :/

DVS
Feb 10, 2009, 02:20 PM
You don't see anything when you log in to the wiki site? Maybe Joecoolyo can let you know where he found his invite.

Joecoolyo
Feb 10, 2009, 04:53 PM
When I logged on a tiny screen popped up saying I had an invitation to the W2K9 Mod. Dunno why its not working for you.

ngyuishing
Feb 11, 2009, 10:14 AM
In order to make the style of civ pages more consistent, I have created a template for civ page and the template is "civilization:_template". Feel free to make improvement on the template.

NikNaks
Feb 11, 2009, 12:02 PM
I made a slight change to your template (which rocks, btw - I had no idea how to work them with wikidot syntax) to allow some text in the body of the page (brief descriptions of things), but now the title doesn't appear in the table. I have no idea why, so for now I've removed it, replacing it with the full title of the country (as will be seen in-game). I hope you don't mind (see Algeria and Angola to see what I've changed). :goodjob:

DVS
Feb 11, 2009, 04:47 PM
Great work guys. The only thing I see, is that the template and updated entries don't include fields for tag, color, starting city #, and starting unit #?

ngyuishing
Feb 11, 2009, 07:16 PM
I made a slight change to your template (which rocks, btw - I had no idea how to work them with wikidot syntax) to allow some text in the body of the page (brief descriptions of things), but now the title doesn't appear in the table. I have no idea why, so for now I've removed it, replacing it with the full title of the country (as will be seen in-game). I hope you don't mind (see Algeria and Angola to see what I've changed). :goodjob:

It's a good change and I think having the full title is good enough as we have the short title in the title of the page. Good job!

ngyuishing
Feb 11, 2009, 07:21 PM
Great work guys. The only thing I see, is that the template and updated entries don't include fields for tag, color, starting city #, and starting unit #?

I have to say sorry that I personally make this change. This is my opinion about these fields:

tag: I am not sure whether it is important for players.

color: seems not so important

starting city #, starting unit #: they depend on scenario and it's better to put them in scenario page

Feel free to share opinions. It's good to have discussion about this. :)

DVS
Feb 11, 2009, 07:40 PM
I understand why you would make those changes, but remember, the wiki isn't just for players, it's also to help us developers keep organized, and for us to use as a reference. I vote on keeping those fields for sure. Just leave them undefined, and when we get all the civs done, I will add the info.

As far as the city number and starting unit number, I think those should stay on the civ screen as well. We only have one scenario, basically everyone who plays our mod will (should) only be using our main scenario. Many aspects of our mod are custom tailored for our feature scenario. Ours is basically a mod + scenario pack. We may end up with other scenarios eventually, but the focus of our mod will always be on the main one.

NikNaks
Feb 12, 2009, 06:37 AM
Okay, I've made a couple more changes:
Re-added the "Color" row
Added a new section of the table called "Scenario Information" which now holds # civs + units (re-added), starting tech level and included nations
Re-added the "Tag" row, but it will now only show the suffix of the civ (e.g. Failed States would be FAILED_STATES) as this can then be used across all the relevant files, like ArtDefines and Text files, not just the CivInfos one
I hope everyone's happy with the edits here. :)

EDIT: See the Angola, Algeria, Argentina or Canada pages for examples.

RE-EDIT: I have a quick proposal for the wiki:
Remove the "Leaders" page and put all relevant info with the Civs or make all pages link to the civs page
Reasoning: As each civ only has one leader, the civ will make decisions in the same way based on the leader; also, the only important info about leaders is traits and attitude mods, and they can easily go on the civ page.

Also, I've started templates for buildings, UBs and units. Feel free to make some pages using those as well, and comment on how they could be improved.

ngyuishing
Feb 12, 2009, 08:32 AM
Good job, NikNaks! :goodjob:

I agree the leader information can be added to the civ page.

DVS
Feb 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
Sounds good NikNaks.

DVS
Feb 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
Let me know what format you guys think is best for the technology entries. Solar Power is the one I have made a page for.

DVS
Feb 13, 2009, 12:44 PM
Great work on the WIKI ngyuishing, thanks.

You can get the file names of the country icons here (http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk123/NikNaks93/).

MasterOfDomain
Feb 13, 2009, 02:52 PM
I have recieved the notification and am now able to edit pages!! Expect lots of content for the technologies pages to pour through.

DVS
Feb 13, 2009, 02:58 PM
excellent!

DVS
Feb 13, 2009, 03:46 PM
MasterOfDomain: here (http://world2009.wikidot.com/technologies:_template) is the template NikNaks made for tech entries.

NikNaks
Feb 14, 2009, 03:53 AM
If anyone is unsure as to how to use the templates, please copy previous examples and edit them. :goodjob:

MasterOfDomain
Feb 15, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've begun transferring the technologies to the wiki. Unfortunately my main computer, which is acting oddly, has apparently got rid of the updated copy of the file, so I've lost Solar Energy.. Which is irritating. Still, it's progressing.

NikNaks
Aug 02, 2009, 07:05 AM
:bump: We should still be using this to update info. How many people are members?

Joecoolyo
Aug 02, 2009, 12:57 PM
I think I'm a member, and I'll gladly add any info, since currently I'm not working on anything for this project. All I need to know what information needs to be placed, and I'll put it in :D.

ngyuishing
Aug 02, 2009, 10:24 PM
I think I'm a member, and I'll gladly add any info, since currently I'm not working on anything for this project. All I need to know what information needs to be placed, and I'll put it in :D.
so do i

NikNaks
Aug 03, 2009, 03:31 AM
Okay! Anything you can find either here or on the spreadsheet (that's on the SVN) that isn't already on there needs compiling and adding. I think there are plenty of civs still to do.

civ editor11
Aug 03, 2009, 04:30 PM
I think I'm a member to. I just don't know what to do

NikNaks
Aug 04, 2009, 03:28 AM
In what way? As in what information to put up? Or how to actually work the wiki?

Joecoolyo
Aug 05, 2009, 11:50 AM
Ok, so I'll start working in my own territory, I'll add the UB's to wiki, if their already there, then I'll add descriptions and their effect.