View Full Version : Bo-oring!!!

Rodgers
Sep 04, 2002, 10:20 AM
Whats happened to OT lately? - there's hardly ANY stupid threads or any trivial polls these days?!

As you well know I'm a big fan of that kind of nonsense (yes, in moderation before the "mums and dads" get all upset - er, not you mod blokes, I mean the se-erious fellas on this site) and I'm sadly dissappointed by the current almost-complete-absense of light-heartedness. I even put a couple of threads up about global politics myself in the last couple of days :cringe: :(

So c'mon you spazmo's and superficial types - give me some entertainment fer gawds sake!

:)

Lefty Scaevola
Sep 04, 2002, 11:39 AM
If that is what you seek in a forum, try counterglow.

anarchywrksbest
Sep 04, 2002, 12:27 PM
What a 'flip a coin' that was trivial ;)

Hitro
Sep 04, 2002, 12:34 PM
How about starting it all over again yourself?
I miss the "I want to learn about..." threads. ;)

BCLG100
Sep 04, 2002, 12:34 PM
yeh there havnt been as many in OT recentely

Grey Knight
Sep 04, 2002, 12:51 PM
I found this thread on Isreali (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27559) good reading...

Warning, it's long!

Cheers,
Shawn

Ohwell
Sep 04, 2002, 01:31 PM
I feel your pain. I made a politics thread, its a bomb though.

Knight-Dragon
Sep 05, 2002, 12:58 AM
I don't even visit OT much nowadays. All the politics are turning me off. I've returned to the Civs forums instead, along with other usual haunts. :)

Rodgers
Sep 05, 2002, 01:37 AM
"How about starting it all over again yourself?
I miss the "I want to learn about..." threads. "

I'm too lazy - I want others to entertain me! I've run out of topics for the "I want to learn..." threads - I'll have to watch some more rubbish american films to get some new thoughts :)

ainwood
Sep 05, 2002, 01:46 AM
I've gone away from the OT lately too - and to be honest, it was the plethora of pointless spammy threads that did it.

I'm not so sure it was the content as the sheer number of them - it made it very difficult to keep "up-to-date" with the threads / posts. I'd reply to one, and then by the afternoon it was sometimes off the page or buried in mess. Makes it very hard to keep an interesting discussion going.

And I hate the e-mails informing me that someone has replied, so that's not a viable option. :(

duke o' york
Sep 05, 2002, 03:03 AM
I think that you should try to work with AoA and Lefty to make a thread like the one that was closed, as I felt it had great potential for some funny stories. You needed to make it quite clear that it was intended not to be full of risqué stories, more about the chase than the possible end product. Putting a warnign in the first post might be a good idea but as I said, you'll need to PM AoA or Lefty for guidance, explaining exactly that it wasn't supposed to be a celebration of sexual conquests, but some amusing stories of trying. It would be like a "How did you meet your girl/boyfriend" thread, but with the twist that people would have failed. It should be made clear that it would go no further than the chat-up lines and situation and that anyone posting accounts of lewd behaviour that break the rules would be punished appropriately.

The furthest it would go would be something like:
"At the office party last year I was getting on really well with someone from accounts but it all went horribly wrong when she twigged that I found myself transfixed by her colleague's rather low-cut top. I left the party rather shortly afterwards, pausing only to wipe her glass of wine from my face."

Please not that this is only a suggestion as to the possible limit of the naughtiness in the thread and should not be construed as any sort of reflection upon the honour and character of the duke o' york or anyone else that he knows. All names have been changed to protect the innocent. ;)

Rodgers
Sep 05, 2002, 04:51 AM
The thing is, I thought I HAD said that - if you go back and look at it I said something like

"I'm not interested in what happened afterwards (family values, children may be watching etc)"

Now, I thought that made it clear that I wasn't asking about the sexual side of it all (if there was any of that to report) but maybe I was being too ambiguous. Perhaps a big "I'M NOT ASKING ABOUT OR WISHING TO DISCUSS SEX IN ANY WAY" at the start would have done it.

Anyway, I PM'ed AoA about it - hope he sees what I meant to discuss as you're right there are a lot of funny (and non-sexual) anecdotes along those lines and I had hoped they would be drawn out by the thread (although I was getting ready for it to be ignored or being accused of setting up a boastfest or something). Ah well, stick to Iraq i suppose :)

Pillager
Sep 05, 2002, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Rodgers
The thing is, I thought I HAD said that - if you go back and look at it

Yes, I thought you had sufficiently explained yourself.
Still, Mr. Mod knows best.

Ours is not to reason why etc etc ;)

floppa21
Sep 05, 2002, 07:24 AM
Yah Rodgers, stop causin trouble ya big jerk! :p No, I thought along the same lines when I first read the post. Ah well, maybe it be reopened, maybe not. "Stick to Iraq..." :barf: :spew: :puke: :ralph: (don't know the exact smiley)

Ahh crap that ain't right! See what happened? <sigh>

Zwelgje
Sep 05, 2002, 07:55 AM
Looking for the vomit smiley? :vomit:
;)

Rodgers
Sep 05, 2002, 10:55 AM
AoA just PMed me to say I can re-post the thread, if I can be bothered it will be up on the board tmrw for you all to ignore :)

Mephisto
Sep 06, 2002, 05:43 PM
yeh, rodger, there are a lot of boring crap in ot. i try to make some silly threads myself though. but the thing is it can not be too stupid, otherwise the mod would close it. :(

Ohwell
Sep 06, 2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by floppa21
Yah Rodgers, stop causin trouble ya big jerk! :p No, I thought along the same lines when I first read the post. Ah well, maybe it be reopened, maybe not. "Stick to Iraq..." :barf: :spew: :puke: :ralph: (don't know the exact smiley)

Ahh crap that ain't right! See what happened? <sigh>

:ralph: ? :confused: