View Full Version : The Road to War* Updated Global assault

kuff-dam
Mar 14, 2009, 03:15 PM
I started this as Dale announced he was no longer going to continue work on the mod and i felt there were a few tweaks that could be done on it to maximise the mod, especially my favourite scenario

any requests or complaints or questions , feel free

kuff-dam
Mar 14, 2009, 03:43 PM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=11924

follow the links

dankok8
Mar 15, 2009, 01:05 PM
Can you list the changes you made?

I have a few suggestions for the Global Scenario?

Balance Issues:
1) Remove goods factories from some of Italy's cities... Italy should not be able to build a massive airforce or a hundred tanks!! Right now, Italy is wayyyy too powerful...
2) Weaken the Soviet Union a bit; remove goods factories from their Asiatic cities which were not industrialized historically + maybe increase their maintenance costs. Right now, Operation Barbarossa results is doomed to fail.
3) give Finland some sort of defense against USSR... maybe I found this as an issue because I had to play with no Bitter Winter. Can anyone confirm?

Other than this, I think the scenario is amazingly balanced and other 1936 scenarios have no big balance issues at all from my experience.

Other ideas that require modding:
1) Patrol option for ships that allows for passive engagement of nearby targets. As Germany, I can use a fleet of transports to unload a large stack of units to invade England without having any control of the sea. In real life, this fleet would be sunk before it could unload units.
2) What-if mode that is open, but still relies on historical events. See vanilla WWI scenario where alliances were determined, but you could declare war with and make alliances with 3rd party nations.
3) Way to reduce aircraft range in Global to realistic levels while keeping those in Europe/Pacific unchanged. Is this possible apart from creating duplicate units?

I think if at least the few remaining balance issues were sorted out, it would make this amazing scenario even more amazing.

kiwitt
Mar 15, 2009, 02:11 PM
This Global Scenario should be used in conjunction with my Mini-Mod (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=306489), to ensure it works as well as it should. Kuff-Dam and myself have agreed to develop concurrently.

kuff-dam
Mar 15, 2009, 02:14 PM
i've got a 50civ map going (a little slower than the usual) however am having some probs as it's lost in game interface

kiwitt
Mar 15, 2009, 02:23 PM
A tweak you may want to consider is setting the in the Diplomacy is to make some of the lesser nations "Vassal" of the major powers.

e.g.
Britain with Australia, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and India.
U.S.A. with Philipines, Brazil, etc.
Germany with Bulgaria, Hungary, etc. (NOT Finland)

kuff-dam
Mar 15, 2009, 02:28 PM
A tweak you may want to consider is setting the in the Diplomacy is to make some of the lesser nations "Vassal" of the major powers.

e.g.

my thoughts were for the commonwealth to be as one

phillipines def with USA

siam , japan

mongolia , russia

kiwitt
Mar 15, 2009, 05:38 PM
Hmmm ... I think having each with their own economies would be better.

The level of economic integration was quite reduced for independent nations like above. However, India was still a colony officially. So for colonies yes. But for individual nations no.

Fin Imperial
Mar 16, 2009, 11:25 AM

e.g.

If this could be event-bound, since I hardly see Bulgaria as a German puppet in 1936 or in 1939. Possibly also give the vassal/master the possibility to choose.

My suggestions would be other choosable events. For example, Poland could give Danzig to Germany and only USSR would attack them, leaving Germany with France and England.

dagarrison
May 17, 2009, 06:29 PM
When I load the mod, then open the scenario option, there is no "Road to War" scenario option. There is a "WWII Global Assault" option, is this it? When I start this scenario, I get the "you have been defeated" message. Eventually it exits back to the main screen. Any suggestions?

kuff-dam
May 17, 2009, 07:48 PM
When I load the mod, then open the scenario option, there is no "Road to War" scenario option. There is a "WWII Global Assault" option, is this it? When I start this scenario, I get the "you have been defeated" message. Eventually it exits back to the main screen. Any suggestions?

what version are you using? the road to war ultimate edition BTS 3.17?

also , have you edited your dll file?

dagarrison
May 18, 2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for responding. I have BTS version 3.17. Is there a separate Road to War version 3.17?

Also I apologize, but I don't know what you mean by editing the dll file.

kuff-dam
May 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
Thanks for responding. I have BTS version 3.17. Is there a separate Road to War version 3.17?

Also I apologize, but I don't know what you mean by editing the dll file.

i mean have you got the road to war ultimate edition ?

kuff-dam
May 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
and if you dunno what i mean about the dll file then it ain't that

kuff-dam
May 20, 2009, 02:11 PM
and yeah sorry , it's the 'WWII Global Assault' option

dagarrison
May 30, 2009, 10:04 AM
Where can I get the road to war ultimate edition?

kuff-dam
May 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
Where can I get the road to war ultimate edition?

here

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10229

dagarrison
May 30, 2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks, installed the ultimate road to war, and the global assault scenario, works fine. The scenario looks great, can't wait to spend time with it.

kiwitt
May 31, 2009, 11:45 AM
You may want to add my mini-mod which will evenyually incorporate "Kuff-Dams" Global Assault map

Mcfc
Aug 04, 2009, 06:14 AM
I checked out this update and really wanted to play it but whne I downloaded everything I had to delete things and Unzipthings and I dont have a clue on what to do.:confused: Could somebody give me a detailed list on how to install this please. Thanks :goodjob:

Mcfc
Aug 04, 2009, 06:15 AM
werty

GeorgeLiquor
Jul 07, 2010, 02:25 PM
I can't get this to work in 3.19, do you have any suggestions?
It looks really fun, and it's a pain not to be able to use it!

notoonah
Jul 22, 2010, 11:19 PM
nethier dales and ur global assault scenerios will work for me

kiwitt
Jul 23, 2010, 03:40 AM
I believe this scenario is no longer in development.

I may try one in 2011/2012 with Civ 5

Sols
Nov 03, 2010, 03:49 AM
any idea why in this version, that advancing AI armies 'freeze' and dont move, most notably the russian and japanese armies? is there any way to rectify this, whether through XML coding from another RtW version or any other way?

any help would be appreciated

i know most people now will be playing civ 5 and i wish i could, but on my relic of a pc i cannot run civ 5 so have to make do with this for the time being :(

kiwitt
Nov 07, 2010, 10:47 PM
This will likely only run on BTS 3.17

CraigX
Nov 27, 2010, 12:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to this, so please bear with me, eh. :)

First of...cool that your taking some criticisms since I have a few. Ok..so were discussing the Global Senario right. I play the Hitler-Hirohito Global Senario so that is what I'll be commenting on. No I haven't tried the 'mini-mod' yet.

Alright...now, lets see...first of I do believe that there should be a few more cities. Specifically in Canada, USA, Brazil, South America, Australia, India (UK), Africa (UK, French), Norway, Greece, and the USSR. There should also be some cities in the Carribian and in the Pacific. The lack of cities in these countries kinda makes the map not as accurate as it could be. The cities may not be large, but there are a few in the north of Canada, the USSR, and the USA that seem to be missing. Speaking of cities...I think that there should be some land access to Canada's west coast (Vancouver). I also think that Istanbul should be moved to its proper location on the Bosphorus Straight. Oh yeah, please change the Canadian capital's name. Its Ottawa, not Ottowa.

I did my own map-modifying and added some of those missing cities, but I am not in the league y'all are.

That's it for now...I've got a few other suggestions, but I gotta go and download KiwiTT's mini-mod and play on. :)

kiwitt
Nov 27, 2010, 01:57 PM
You won't find any shortage of cities in my European Scenario ;)

burchm
Dec 10, 2010, 03:07 PM
Apparently I need a certain program to open the download. Do anyone know which program you need?

kiwitt
Dec 10, 2010, 03:36 PM
try 7-zip [free download]

GeorgeLiquor
Jan 20, 2011, 12:32 AM
Can somebody tell me all of the civilizations playable in this scenario?

kiwitt
Jan 20, 2011, 12:37 AM
This scenario was not fully completed ... and therefore not fully tested. The best global assault is what is available here
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=325588

constantinople
Jul 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
the download isn't working because you need the road to war: ultimate edition, which is dead now. It won't work without it.

tracker214
Oct 08, 2011, 02:28 PM
I have the global assault map, but every time I play it, as soon as the game starts, It says "You have been defeated". There are no civs on the map, and it makes me go back to the main menu. How do I fix this?

kiwitt
Oct 08, 2011, 04:24 PM
I have the global assault map, but every time I play it, as soon as the game starts, It says "You have been defeated". There are no civs on the map, and it makes me go back to the main menu. How do I fix this?Welcome to modding. Feel free to try (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158).

constantinople
Jul 23, 2012, 07:55 PM
It has been a long time since anyone posted...
Anyway, I think I found the problem. (Correct me if I'm wrong) There is no team 34 in the map but the XML coding is acting as if there is (i.e., under the plots, it says the plots are revealed to team 34 and it says other civs are in contact with team 34.) I'm not for sure if this is a major error that could make the map crash but it is still a mistake (a silly one at that...)

constantinople
Aug 02, 2012, 08:23 AM
Nope, its not this, but I'll still try to fix the scenario.

DariusTheGreat1
Jun 07, 2014, 10:57 PM
Can you list the changes you made?

I have a few suggestions for the Global Scenario?

Balance Issues:
1) Remove goods factories from some of Italy's cities... Italy should not be able to build a massive airforce or a hundred tanks!! Right now, Italy is wayyyy too powerful...
2) Weaken the Soviet Union a bit; remove goods factories from their Asiatic cities which were not industrialized historically + maybe increase their maintenance costs. Right now, Operation Barbarossa results is doomed to fail.
3) give Finland some sort of defense against USSR... maybe I found this as an issue because I had to play with no Bitter Winter. Can anyone confirm?

Other than this, I think the scenario is amazingly balanced and other 1936 scenarios have no big balance issues at all from my experience.

Other ideas that require modding:
1) Patrol option for ships that allows for passive engagement of nearby targets. As Germany, I can use a fleet of transports to unload a large stack of units to invade England without having any control of the sea. In real life, this fleet would be sunk before it could unload units.
2) What-if mode that is open, but still relies on historical events. See vanilla WWI scenario where alliances were determined, but you could declare war with and make alliances with 3rd party nations.
3) Way to reduce aircraft range in Global to realistic levels while keeping those in Europe/Pacific unchanged. Is this possible apart from creating duplicate units?

I think if at least the few remaining balance issues were sorted out, it would make this amazing scenario even more amazing.

Add an Allied invasion force in Fortnight 1 June 1944, to represent D-Day