View Full Version : Is anybody out there?

Marsden
Apr 20, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hi. I've noticed that even though most teams offically have 17+ members listed there's probably about 5 or less that even know the game exists or they are on a team. Is anybody still interested in this besides Saber? I can vouch for 9 of us in Saber that are really interested in killing everyone else continuing the game.

Anyone else?

BTW, I'm not speaking for Saber per say, I didn't run this by my team first but they are interested in any results I'm sure.

Niklas
Apr 20, 2009, 07:28 AM
Team Council is definitely still interested and motivated. A quick count shows that 9 people have made constructive comments within the past week, which is not far (if at all different) from our heyday. But things are in a bit of a lull right now. The calm before the storm I'm sure... ;)

Cyc
Apr 20, 2009, 09:40 AM
As a personal comment, I'd like to see strict enforcement of the 24 hour rule on turn turn-around. If we are "definitely still interested and motivated", it seems that WE could advance the save a lot quicker than it has been advanced. I know this is just a game and I know people have real lives to contend with, but if you can't play the game just surrender. We would consider it an honorable gesture. Really, we would. To speed things up, we've even drawn up a surrender form. Just sign here. :deal:

Niklas
Apr 20, 2009, 09:44 AM
Well, a large part of the reason for the delays is because we want people to be involved and comment. We could probably advance the save faster, but would have less fun if we did.

I'd like to make a counter proposal. Given the complexity of the game at this point, how about we formally extend the turn timer to 48 hours, and then enforce that limit strictly instead? And yes, I mean that seriously.

dutchfire
Apr 20, 2009, 10:14 AM
That seems like a reasonable proposal.
I can understand that playing the save in this stage of the game is quite a lot of work, something that may not be possible within 24 hours, but I think it's very important the pace stays somewhat decent, to keep intrest intact.

Well, a large part of the reason for the delays is because we want people to be involved and comment. We could probably advance the save faster, but would have less fun if we did.
Well, really, you have ~3 days to discuss every turn, and, at least for us, there haven't been that many interesting things going on that warrant a lot of discussion. If there was something interesting going on, I could live with some of the turnaround times here, but having a week for each turn just to decide what to build and where to move your workers is way too much.

Niklas
Apr 20, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'd just retort that you have no idea how many interesting things that are going on, but I'll refrain :p.

Seriously though, you do have a point, but I still think that 3 days is too short. And many of the things we discuss actually can't be discussed before we get the fresh save back.

donsig
Apr 20, 2009, 11:32 AM
As a personal comment, I'd like to see strict enforcement of the 24 hour rule on turn turn-around.

Yes, I agree. What penalties are we gonna use? We need something serious in place to solidify the 24 hour rule and keep Chamnix from playing the save in four hours.

Cyc
Apr 20, 2009, 12:01 PM
Ok, I understand your weak position. ;)

Here's the deal. If Chamnix gets the save out before 24 hours, you lose. If you take more than 24 hours, you lose. :smug: I like this game. :thumbsup:

Sound good?

Elephantium
Apr 20, 2009, 12:51 PM
I'm still following this game in lurker mode, though every once in a while, I'll have something to say in our team forum.

peter grimes
Apr 20, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'd be more inclined to agree with a 72-hour strict enforcement plan...

well, i suppose 48 hours won't be that bad as long as we can still request an extension as game events may require more time.

Marsden
Apr 21, 2009, 05:19 AM
Thanks for your responses. I was hoping for a sort of role call of who might be actively around. I take Niklas at his word, but I'd just like some more to check in so I know you're there. I note team Free hasn't posted. I know Whomp is around from the Deathmatch and turn tracker, so I'm making any demands of team Babe, right now.

Empiremaker
Apr 21, 2009, 08:27 AM
FREE is having more problems with save turnaround because I don't have the time on a regular basis, and CommandoBob usually can't play within 24 hours. FREE appreciates your understanding on the save turnaround.

AutomatedTeller
Apr 21, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'm around, certainly.

General_W
Apr 21, 2009, 05:28 PM
yeah - I'm here and interested!

Niklas outlined our main issue - but the other problem we have is that there are only 1 or 2 people still around with the time and expertise needed to play the save.

If that person is gone for some reason, we get stuck.

That said - I'd be ok with stricter enforcement of the turn-timer IF we make it longer than 24 hours.

But who would enforce this? I haven't seen our Admins around here for a while...

Cyc
Apr 21, 2009, 07:50 PM
I just saw Ginger_Ale in the PBEM forums this afternoon.

CommandoBob
Apr 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
Hi. I've noticed that even though most teams offically have 17+ members listed there's probably about 5 or less that even know the game exists or they are on a team. Is anybody still interested in this besides Saber?
Team FREE is still interested.

Sluggish, perhaps, but still willing to go the distance.

donsig
Apr 22, 2009, 08:16 AM
Niklas outlined our main issue - but the other problem we have is that there are only 1 or 2 people still around with the time and expertise needed to play the save.

Where are these guys with the expertise? :confused:

Cyc
Apr 22, 2009, 08:50 AM
You must have thought he meant expetise in playing Civ3. :lol:

Marsden
Apr 24, 2009, 05:54 AM
Well, this was a really cool game and just wanted to know if anybody else was still into it, it seemed like a lot of people said yes then didn't comeback again. Thanks for posting, those that did, to the others (execpt Whomp)... well nevermind.

donsig
Apr 24, 2009, 05:56 AM
What do you mean it was a really cool game? Did I miss the ending - or isn't it cool any more? :confused:

Marsden
Apr 24, 2009, 05:57 AM
I mean the bulk of it is behind us, I don't think it's going to go another 200 turns. It might finish in say, oh, 10 turns from now.

Niklas
Apr 24, 2009, 06:05 AM
I think a lot of people are subscribed directly to our team forums and simply don't think to look for a thread at this level unless someone points it to them. We've had a lot of people posting in our team forum in the time span from the opening of this thread until now, without them coming here. So don't take this "role call" as a measure of participation.

Marsden
Apr 24, 2009, 06:12 AM
I actually thought council represented itself pretty well, actually.

Gong=0
Babe = 1

Saber = about 10

Free, I'm guessing is Bob so that's 1

And You guys, Council, about what you said, I wasn't sure until you posted, that was why I asked.

Also, turn delays were a reason. Rules and enforcement are issues I really don't want to even think about so saying a strict limit means nothing if it can't be enforced, but on the other hand if it's just one guy bluffing that there's a team with him and he's just there because disbanding would be weird then that's something else. I hope that's not happening, too much at least.

CommandoBob
Apr 24, 2009, 08:32 AM
Free, I'm guessing is Bob so that's 1

Elephantium and Empiremaker are both part of Team FREE. :D

Marsden
Apr 24, 2009, 10:44 AM
I thought Elephantum was on Babe, sorry. So Free's got 3, ok. :lol:

Elephantium
Apr 26, 2009, 12:29 AM
After the ragging I gave team BABE back when we were all talking about coastal blockades? Are you kidding me? :crazyeye:

Cyc
Apr 26, 2009, 10:23 PM
An Elephant never forgets. But they do work for peanuts.

Chamnix
May 02, 2009, 06:35 PM

I'm glad at least one team finds this pace fun. I haven't checked with my teammates, but I think I speak for most of Saber when I say that interest in this game would have been a LOT higher if the game weren't so brutally slow.

Marsden
May 02, 2009, 07:11 PM
Well, one good thing about the pace is I can sleep off a bender for a few days and I didn't miss anything. :thumbsup: Of course, that doesn't move the game along too well.

Cyc
May 02, 2009, 08:54 PM
but I think I speak for most of Saber when I say that interest in this game would have been a LOT higher if the game weren't so brutally slow.

Are we still playing this game? I thought we won already. :dunno:

dutchfire
May 04, 2009, 02:30 AM
Are we still playing this game? I thought we won already. :dunno:

We did, we just haven't told the other teams yet. :evil:

Calis
May 04, 2009, 02:50 AM

I'd like to make a counter proposal. Given the complexity of the game at this point, how about we formally extend the turn timer to 48 hours, and then enforce that limit strictly instead? And yes, I mean that seriously.

:sarcasm:

You guys seem to have a LOT of fun right now...

Marsden
May 04, 2009, 05:51 AM
:sarcasm:

You guys seem to have a LOT of fun right now...

They're having so much fun they should be in Congress. :salute:

dutchfire
May 04, 2009, 05:55 AM
Well, at least Team Saber is #1 in spam discussion.

Chamnix
May 04, 2009, 06:08 AM
We have to pass the time somehow ;)

Whomp
May 04, 2009, 03:57 PM
Regarding the pace, I think our team was painfully aware of this in the ancient age and everyone bailed.

No one's posted in the Babe forum for about a year except Krill to tell me he doesn't have C3C and Daghdha to say "hello".

Paul#42
Jul 17, 2009, 01:29 AM
The current "pace" of the deathmatch is disappointing... :coffee:
Any bears around here, occasionally? :shifty:

It seems most people (like me) rather prefer ancient warfare over modern... :mischief:

CommandoBob
Jul 17, 2009, 10:39 PM
Sorry for the delay, Paul. I thought I could sort some stuff and still have time to play the turn last night. Sorting took much longer than I expected (but got done) and so I played the turn tonight (Friday). The last time I played the turn late at night I made some boneheaded mistakes.

I really wish there was a way that we could save the game in midturn.