View Full Version : Crashing in BTS 3.17 RTW Europe during turn changes

llangarth
Jun 14, 2009, 12:33 PM
Hi all. I have Civ IV BTS and have upgraded with the 3.17 patch. I am interested primarilly in Road To War and previously had no problems with crashing. Since the upgrade, I am just playing a run-through RTW Europe 1939 scenario and have progressed to March 1943, but have been having crash issues during the opponents' turns for the last "six months". Started as minimal problem, has progressed with time, to where I could play one turn at startup and get it saved, and it would crash on the second, then to having to play the smae turn repeatedly until it somehow made it through the turn cycle. Now, I've played the current turn four times and it crashes each time. I think I have plenty of system to support this (listed below), I donpt mind if it runs a little slow, but this crashing is frustrating the heck out of me. Any advice/suggestions?

My PC: Dell Dimension DM3000 Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9200 video card.
I have cleaned/defragged hard drive and maxed out Virtual memory to 1531 to see if that would help, but no difference of note).

Side question: Is there a way to create a shortcut that goes straight to the RTW mod rather than having to go through the BTS main menu load-a-mod step?

dankok8
Jun 14, 2009, 12:37 PM
Side question: Is there a way to create a shortcut that goes straight to the RTW mod rather than having to go through the BTS main menu load-a-mod step?

Just make shortcuts of the scenarios you wanna play. When you open a scenario file, the correct mod should load automatically.

kiwitt
Jun 14, 2009, 04:16 PM
More RAM would definitely help. Once the game get's to the later stages it requires quite a bit of ram. And it would be paging to disk quite a lot. A bigger swap file may also help. And also fixing the size to 2048 (minimum and maximum)

Given the age of the PC - Pentium 4, Radeon 9200, it may not be worth investing in more RAM. However, I did have my Athlon XP - w/3GB RAM, with 6600GT 128 MB running OK as well as a Pentium M w/1.5GB and Radeon 9000. But it was painfully slow in the later stages of the game.

I have since upgraded to a Core i7 w/6GB RAM and ATI 4870 512 MB, VelociRaptor (10,000rpm) HDD. Instead of turns taking 15 minutes they are now 2-3 minutes or less.

Maaximillus
Jun 17, 2009, 01:33 PM
Well on my old computer I had 2 mb ram and it crashed also around late 1943 but this new computer doesn't even lag, yay.

But on topic the best way would be to buy 1GB more ram as I dont think your computer can handle more than 2GB looking at its age, but the extra ram would definately help.