View Full Version : Patch 3.19 won't install

Dennis Roos
Aug 24, 2009, 10:49 AM
A week ago, I bought a Civilization 4 complete box in the shop. It includes the vannila civ 4, and the warlords and BTS expansions.
I have finished my first game in Warlords and now I wanted to play a game in BTS.
I checked for updates and saw there was a 3.19 patch so I clicked download and when it had downloaded it started the install screen with the options such as:
Do you want to register your game but at the end when I click install the screen dissapears and nothing happens and the patch isnt installed:cry:

I have tried to download from internet sites but I got the same problem

I dont use Vista, and when I choose About this Build in the BTS menu it says version 301. don't know anything about changing game files or unpacking downloads or something so this is driving me mad mad:

I really want 3.19 so I can play the earth 34 civs senarios.
I never downloaded mods or something.
I have seen some other threads about his subject but their problems were because they had Vista or downloaded their game
Please Help!!!:rolleyes:

Jawa'sRevenge
Aug 24, 2009, 07:30 PM
You need the 3.03 patch, the 3.13 patch, and the 3.17 patch before instaling the 3.19 patch

Link (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12)

Dennis Roos
Aug 25, 2009, 02:34 AM
Well I've tried to dowload patch 3.03 but when it started the installshield wizard it shut off and it said I need an earlier version because I don't have a version or something like that:sad:

ori
Aug 25, 2009, 09:08 AM
complete is already patched to 3.13 - so the 3.03 patch cannot work.
please post the exact message in the about this build screen.

Welcome to CFC :band:

Dennis Roos
Aug 26, 2009, 05:40 AM
The about this build screen says:
Civ Version: 313
Save Version: 301
Build Version: 3.0.0.1 (81539)
Build Date: Fri Sep 21 20:16:18 2007
Build: Final Release
Mod Name: None

I looked at the build version and saw 3.0.0.1 so I thought it was 301:blush::rolleyes:
I will try to install 3.17 now
I'm so bad with the technical part of computers and games and stuff, sorry!

And BTW, when I download a patch, where should I save it? In the Beyond the Sword folder?

ori
Aug 26, 2009, 05:58 AM
the version numbering they used is confusing - 317 says version 3.1.3.1 :gripe:

anyways:
save the patch to anywhere you like - unzip it and then run the .exe that is included in the zip file.

Dennis Roos
Aug 26, 2009, 07:16 AM
Yay, 3.17 worked and I'm downloading 3.19 right now:)
thanks for all your help guys;)

ams9119
Sep 05, 2009, 12:30 AM
I am having the same problem as Dennis, any suggestions on how to fix it? I have tried the things you guys have said to him.

ori
Sep 05, 2009, 07:43 AM
is this a cd or a download version?

ams9119
Sep 05, 2009, 12:53 PM
downloaded.

ori
Sep 06, 2009, 04:33 AM
you need the patch from the same vendor you got the game from - only that will install.

Neizvestno
Sep 12, 2009, 08:27 AM
Can anyone please help? I am having similar problems with 319.

I am running vista as administrator. I have a bought dvd rom copy of the game. I have loaded each patch as they were released. However, after loading 319 nothing seems to happened. The version information in advanced>about the build still said it was version 317.

I tried reinstalling the game and applying all of the patches in turn. Patch 313 successfully installs. However, now both patches 317 and 319 seem to have no effect and the game build info still reads 313. However, when I run patch 319 after running patch 317 a dialogue tells me it is patching from 317->319, but if I do not run 317 it tells me I am patching from 313->319. So, the patches are having an effect. They just do not change the version number in the game and leave me unable to play multiplayer with others on version 319.

I have compared the files in my BTS directory with other people who have patched to 319 and several of mine are different.

Any ideas? As, you may have noticed I have now reinstalled the game multiple times with no success.

ori
Sep 12, 2009, 12:49 PM

did you install the patch with admin rights (i.e. right click on it and choose run as admin)?

Neizvestno
Sep 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
Yes, in addition to being logged in as an administrator every patch has been run by selecting "Run as administrator".

Mukle
Sep 13, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm having a problem with installing patches on both of my computers :(

I use Win XP

The first has vers. 3.17
The second has vers. 313 (complete CIV IV vers)

When I try to execute the setup file at the first computer it closes down a couple of seconds after...

When I try to execute the setup file on the second computer (have the files on my computer), it starts installing but after a few sec I recieve an error : Feature transfer error

hope u can help me :)

Mukle

ori
Sep 13, 2009, 07:24 PM
@neizvestno:
where did you download the patch from?
also: is anything running in the background (antivir software - something else)?

@Mukle:
feature transfer errors mean that the patch file is corrupted - try redownloading it :)

RyuSinc
Dec 28, 2009, 02:55 PM
Ok so after two days of scanning through these forums and trying to get the patch to install I gave up and just created an account to try and get this problem solved. I bought the complete version from Gamestop Online (downloaded) 2 days ago and tried to upgrade to 319 so I could play GEM.

The first day I would click the check for updates and it would take the time to dl the patch then go to restrart civ 4 but nothing would happen. So I kept trying eventually I got the instal wizard to pop up and same thing that happened to the guy who started this thread (which is why I am posting here instead of a new thread) is happening to me. I click install and the install wizard disapears. I tried dling it from these forums as well as firaxis' site, but same thing happens.

Now before you go back and tell me to install 3.0.3, 3.1.3, and 3.1.7 the build version is already up to 3.1.7. I am running Windows Vista and running them through administrator and XP Service Pack 2 compatible. Any thoughts on how I could get this to work or should I just jump over to the Warlords version of GEM?

ori
Dec 29, 2009, 01:05 PM

you need the patch from gamestop - neither the ingame updater nor the patches for download from here or Firaxis will work since they all work for the cd version of the game.

MischaNova
Feb 02, 2010, 08:42 PM
I have been having this problem with the complete box as well but I just realized something that may help others. I was looking through my directory and noticed Civilization IV is installed in two different locations. C:/Program Files/2K Games and C:/Program Files/Civ. It seems that the 3.19 patch created the 2K Games directory and installed the relevant components there, since the game won't run from that location and half of the components are missing.

I just solved the problem by overwriting all of the files from the 2K Games folder (the incomplete one) into their relevant counterparts in the Civ folder. If you're wondering, it takes forever to do by hand and there is probably a much faster way to do it. But the important thing to note is, even though the 3.19 patch installer didn't put the files in the correct place, it did install them on my computer.

It's also noteworthy that I went directly from the 3.13 patch to 3.19. I didn't need to install 3.17 first (I just double checked my backup to verify). It's possible that the 3.17 patch fixes whatever issue causes the 3.19 patch to install in the wrong directory, although that's pure speculation on my part. I would also guess that this problem explains why as ori suggested, you have to download patches from the same vendor from whom you bought the game since vendors MAY change the locations.

My advice if you encounter this problem is to check your directory to make sure the patch hasn't just downloaded in the wrong place.

DrTurtlesse
Feb 21, 2010, 01:54 PM
I am running Civ Version 317, installed off the Complete Civ IV DVDRom, on WinXP, and am having a (possibly?) related problem.

I can and have downloaded the patch. I have tried running the "PATCH_319" Setup.exe
from Beyond the Sword/Patch and from Sid Meier's Civilization IV Complete/Patch. Everytime I run it, I get through a couple of screens of language selection and terms and liscence agreement but as soon as I click on "Install"... nothing happens.

http://i50.tinypic.com/dfevdg.jpg

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my having installed Civ IV vanilla on my computer earlier? It lives in Program Files/Firaxis Games, while the complete Civ lives in Program Files/2K Games/Firaxis Games...

ori
Feb 21, 2010, 04:30 PM

try downloading the 3.19 patch from the downloads database here and install that - the ingame patch utility is buggy.

whats a navy
Apr 03, 2010, 04:21 PM
I am trying to install the 3.19 patch on my computer (windows xp). I have been getting to the installation when installshield stops working. I have tried running the patch of the mygames/beyondthesword/patch section and unzipped it as well.

DoctorJangman
Apr 04, 2010, 05:47 PM
^ for me the installshield completes but simply doesnt affect the game. i cant play multiplayer and it still says i need an update. ORI WE NEED YOU HOMIE!

DoctorJangman
Apr 04, 2010, 06:03 PM
ORI I NEED YOU HELP, SIR!
Civ Version: 301
Save Version: 300
Build Version: 3.0.0.91
I downloaded the 3.19 patch and the installsheild itself said updating game from 3.17 to 3.19. But even after it was fully installed and finished the game is not updated and it still says the game needs PATCH_319 every time I try to go online! If I click install in-game, it simply stays on that screen. It doesnt freeze so at one point I left it to install in-game for 2 days to no avail. WHAT DO I DO???????

Furiey
Apr 04, 2010, 06:26 PM
What OS are you using?
Is this a downloaded or disc version of the game?

It doesn't look like it is even patched to 3.17. Try patching to 3.17 (download it fresh from here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=9800)) then patch to 3.19 (download it fresh from here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12576)), that often eases the 3.19 installation. The in-game updater rarely works for 3.19 so download and install the patches outside of the game. If you are using Vista or W7, to install the patch right-click on the .exe and select run as administrator.

DoctorJangman
Apr 04, 2010, 06:33 PM
Thanks man Ill give it a shot. It's so weird, for the first time in 2 years the in-game installer worked but when it said exit the game to install it only offered to uninstall the whole game. Why does technology have to be so ?

DoctorJangman
Apr 04, 2010, 06:51 PM
Wow this is preposterous, the 3.17 patch wont download because it says the game itself is already patched to 3.19 and yet the game itself still demands the 3.19 update. Any other ideas on how to make the game know its already updated?

Furiey
Apr 05, 2010, 03:28 AM
What does it say now in about this build?

Is this the disc version or a downloaded version of the game?

What OS are you using?

naffel
Apr 10, 2010, 11:52 PM
There are about 5 flavors of this issue in this thread. Mine is the Civ 4 Complete, begin with BTS 3.17 can't do 3.19 with patcher or download. I had Vanila prior to this.

Figure I might uninstall everything and start from scratch, but wanted to double check that no one had found a happier solution.

whats a navy
Apr 16, 2010, 07:32 PM
I have the exact same problem as the person above me. can someone help us out?

ori
Apr 16, 2010, 11:51 PM
@naffel: Welcome to CFC :band:

@both: is this the european or the us version of complete and which operating system?

whats a navy
Apr 17, 2010, 01:54 PM
I am using the US version and have windows xp

ori
Apr 18, 2010, 01:05 AM
what happens when you try to install the patch?
did you download it ingame or from a website (e.g. from here)?

whats a navy
Apr 18, 2010, 09:36 AM
I have tried installing it from both and when I am going through the installation process with the BTS background and hit install and nothing happens.

ori
Apr 19, 2010, 01:09 AM
do you have an antivir program running? there have been recent reports that some of those interfere with the installer.

SkepticSquirrel
May 13, 2010, 06:18 PM
i just bought civ4 complete at walmart and i tried to play multi player and it told me to install patch 3.19 so i click ok and when it finishes it says you will be sent back to your computor and it will put up an install bar but when i do that nothing happens i have tried it 4 times already in the game install and 2 times trying to install from this site. when i try on the site i actualy get the install thing after the download up but when i finish nothing happens so can someone please help me :confused:

sorry about my spelling

ori
May 17, 2010, 10:09 AM

what operating system are you using?
did you try downloading the patch from outside the game? e.g. from the downloads database on this site?

SkepticSquirrel
May 17, 2010, 05:27 PM
nvm i like fixed it by reinstaling patch 3.17 from the site then tried to install 3.19 and it worked

kyaspartan
Jun 02, 2010, 10:23 PM
Reinstalling 3.17 and then 3.19 worked for me.

I have Windows XP and Civ 4 Complete (US version).
I had 3.17 in the About This Build box and the 3.19 installer would do nothing after hitting the Install button.

Thanks SkepticSquirrel

seul
Jun 19, 2010, 01:38 PM
I'm having the same issue as described here (3.19 Patch just closes without any error message after i click "Install >"), but the workaround suggested by the 2 previous posters wont work either, the 3.17 Patch terminates with the message "No installed Version of BTS found".

I have the european Version of Civ4 Complete (3-in-1) which reports as Patch 3.17 after installing, and i'm running Windows 7-x64.

I tried all different sorts of workarounds, downloading the patch manually or in-game, doing at least 5 clean installs, trying to apply the patch with or without Admin rights, and using the Compatibility Wizard, all to no avail :(

Any pointers would be appreciated.

seul
Jun 20, 2010, 05:15 AM
It seems to me that the BTS Version that already includes Patch 3.17 is the culprit here, i managed to work around the issue by only installing the original Civ4 from my "Civ4 Complete" package and using an original, unpatched BTS installation CD (lets just assume I found that CD under a pile of socks in a drawer).

After installing the unpatched BTS the 3.19 patch would install without any errors, all is well now.

LAZYARMY
Jun 27, 2010, 07:32 PM
Patch 3.19 installs after I click check for updates and download Patch 3.19, it say click ok to turn off your Civilization IV and install the patch. After I click ok it doesnt open an installshield wizard it just shows my desktop. The about the beyond the sword says
Civ Version 313
Save Version 301
Build Version 3.0.0.1
Build Date Fri Sept 21 14:16:18 2007
Build FINAL RELEASE
Mod Name No
Why isnt it downloading completely?

ori
Jun 29, 2010, 06:54 AM
try downloading it from this site and installing it from outside the game, if that doesn't work, try to install the 3.17 patch first

Talorc
Aug 20, 2010, 09:10 AM
I am having a very similar problem, which is very frustrating

I am trying to reinstall Civ IV after a long time of it being off my PC. THis is all on Windows XP.

I have the original 3 versions, all on seperate DVD's not a complete version.

I have installed Civ IV (vanilla), then Civ IV warlords, then Civ IV BTS. Interim patching each installed tried to do seemed to work.

AFter that my BTS version is reported as:

Civ Version: 301
Save Versions: 300
Build: 3.0.0.91 (74697)

Trying to install 3.19, I get through all the options, click install and then the installer just vanishes away (no error message) and nothing happens. THis is with the patch downloaded from the in game patcher or from here.

All the other patches (3.03B, 3.13 and 3.17) report -

---------------------------
Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword - InstallShield Wizard
The setup has detected that no version of Sid Meier's Civilization 4 - Beyond the Sword is installed.

This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed.
OK

AAARGH!! Very frustrating.

Any ideas? Maybe uninstall everything, use ccleaner to REALLY uninstall everything and then try again?

ori
Aug 22, 2010, 06:16 AM

yeah, if all the other patches don't work either I'd reinstall the whole thing.

Talorc
Aug 22, 2010, 07:42 AM
I've tried that now (twice!!), once installing on a seperate e: I install all programs on now, and once after removing that one and installing it on c:

Still getting the same errors unfortunately. 2K games support is working on the ticket at the moment, hopefully that might get somewhere.

Discovery71
Aug 27, 2010, 10:36 AM
wow so may patches to go online. patch 3.03 is needed to work 3.17 to use 3.19. why cant they just make it all in 1?!?!?

ori
Aug 30, 2010, 02:43 AM
@talorc, sorry for the late reply: how did you patch the game after installation?
@discovery71: they should be standalone but for whatever reason they sometimes fail without previous patches installed :dunno:

Talorc
Aug 30, 2010, 07:13 AM
Finally got 3.19 to install, working off an idea from this thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=295291

Looks like there is a problem between HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE vs HKEY_CURRENT_USER keys for the 3.19 patch.

So what worked was:

1. uninstalling everything (to start again)
2. Installing base Civ IV - and Un-selecting the option to "install for all users". (eg it is now writing HKEY_CURRENT keys instead of HKEY_LOCAL)
3. Install BTS (this patches Civ IV along the way)
4. Install 3.17
5. Install 3.19

All working good now. I could probably have skipped "install 3.17", but I did for extra "safeness" based on common reports it can fix problems with 3.19. This is all with original release DVD's, not gold editions btw. You could probably install to all users and fix it with registry editing, but this was less hassle. I didn't bother with warlords, as I think all you get from that is a few extra scenarios.

TheFathomist
Apr 18, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm currently using 3.17 and every time I try to update to 3.19 I get a message saying that "Civ4BeyondtheSwordPatch3.19.exe is not a valid Win32 application." I'm stumped. Any help?

seul
Apr 20, 2011, 10:46 AM
I'm currently using 3.17 and every time I try to update to 3.19 I get a message saying that "Civ4BeyondtheSwordPatch3.19.exe is not a valid Win32 application." I'm stumped. Any help?

sounds to me like the file itself is corrupt (something went wrong during the download process) - i'd suggest redownloading the patch and trying again

MzansiMagic
May 04, 2012, 09:12 AM
Im Using a Windows 7, and downloading the 2 newest patches(17 and 19) where do i place them when done?

kiwitt
May 06, 2012, 12:03 AM
Save them to your download folder and then right-click the file and run as administrator.

( see http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408537 for more details)

masternetra
Aug 06, 2013, 06:37 PM
Had the same situation as another, OS: WinXP (32bit) SP3, 3.17 was listed build. Nabbed 3.17 patch and was able to install that. 3.19 installed afterwards. Had the game installed for all users, but haven't tried it without so can't say if that's what had it bugged. Either way not a difficult fix, just one that shouldn't have to be done.