View Full Version : How is your EU3 Game going?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23

Saxony
Jun 12, 2012, 01:44 AM
Well started a game with Castile, allied with Portugal at war with Grenada trying to create Spain and find America. How do I take screenshots in EUIII?

cardgame
Jun 12, 2012, 02:03 AM
Shift F12 or something silly like that. Google knows.

Optical
Jun 12, 2012, 02:08 AM
Screenshot: F11
World map: F12
World map showing only you and your vassals: Shift+F12

A word to the wise, the last two are absolutely huge, being thousands of pixels across and bitmaps. ;)

hoplitejoe
Jun 12, 2012, 04:02 AM
Yeah, I change them to PNG before uploading.

Duke of Britain
Jun 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I change them to PNG before uploading.

That's what everyone should do.

Arakhor
Jun 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
I use Paint.net to turn them into 90% JPGs or so. It's vastly more useful than MS Paint.

civ_king
Jun 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
I've been playing EU 3 for a long time but have never finished a single game. I am losing focus after playing a few centuries. That's why now trying MEIOU and Death & Taxes mods. I hope i will finish my first game in a couple of weeks.
Set up game challenges such as form countries and hop around, I think my record in D&T was 30.

cardgame
Jun 12, 2012, 10:36 PM
Form Italy... release Urbino. Play as Urbino. Form Italy.

civ_king
Jun 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
Form Italy... release Urbino. Play as Urbino. Form Italy.
I did that... as Mantua...

Quintillus
Jun 14, 2012, 11:37 PM
It's about time for a screenshot of the Qing Dynasty.

See Thumbnail for map (blow-uppable).

It is the year of Russia's lord 1741. As can be seen, the Qing Dynasty, formed in 1644, has become quite vast. What began with colonization to the north inevitably came to conflict with the Ming. Through a miscalculation, a war with Korea lead to a war with the Ming as well - prior to that they had been our allies - and territory was lost. But, we kept our eyes peeled, and when Delhi invaded the Ming, so did we, and after a series of wars, we captured Beijing in the late 1630s, and established 1 on 1 supremacy in the late 1600s. Recent wars have largely been against Delhi, who not only controlled most of central Asia while being lucky, but also was allied with Persia, a formidable opponent in her own right.

Taungu is in a personal union, and Tibet and Lan Na are vassals. Russia - until recently Novgorod - is a close and trusted ally, and has been since soon after a border was established. The alliance has been well worth the upfront gold cost, as Novgorod proved an excellent counterweight to Delhi-Persia in a number of fairly even wars.

Being proud of our heritage, we have decided not to westernize. With a 200,000-man army, nearly 100 ships, forcelimits well above both of those, and 400,000+ manpower, we are not afraid of the Western nations. So far, Sweden is the only one we've really fought - and quite successfully.

Abroad, Toulouse dominates southern South America, Flanders is dominant in North America, and Brittany and Sweden also have considerable possessions there. Mantua moved to Texas, and the theocratic, Protestant Netherlands has a decent chunk of land in India. The former France is a mess, but Liege is establishing themselves as the foremost regional power, and is currently occupying the Dutch homelands and part of Champagne. Pommeriania has a good grip on Holy Roman Emperorship and has for awhile. Bohemia, needless to say, is the only power that we think could decisively defeat the Qing-Russian alliance - fortunately they don't share a land border, and their navy is weak compared to our large, but admittedly rather junky, fleet.

Medium-term plans are to adopt the Cabinet National Idea with government tech 30, adopt an absolute monarchy once our low-legitimacy heir takes over (our current ruler has reigned for 55 years, and is thankfully skilled), and go imperialistic with our soon-to-arrive Asian Charge Cavalry. Delhi is always a target, but Japan is tempting as well, and Formosa should at some point be reclaimed from Portugal. I might also go west to set up an epic battle against Bohemia, but likely not before adding even more Asian land, and perhaps building a bunch of conscription centers.

mechaerik
Jun 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
Beta patch news. There's been three of them in the last eleven days.

4th of June:
* Fixed attrition when ships in same province.
* Fixed naval maintenance minimum cost.

8th of June
- Improved tooltip for when to get attrition to new rules.
- Armies will no longer be eliminated if they arrive in a province where another army is eliminated.
- Supply limit now scales from 100 to 125% of base value depending on relation with province controller&owner.
- Armies now reinforce about 50% slower than before, maneuever is more important on hostile territory.
- Removed reinforce bonus in the empire.
- AI is now much more reluctant to start wars if low on MP.
- AI drained on MP is now more likely to sue for peace.
- Disbanding a regiment now returns 50% of the manpower remaining in it..
- Assaults can no longer be broken off manually.
- Assaults are now a bit more bloody.
- Base tradition gain from combat increased by 33%.
- Tradition gain is now halfed if you fight someone with and you have the larger army.
- Strength damage from combat has been dropped by 50%
- Prevented HRE or PAP for forming the other four Indian nations too, not just the Dravidian one
- Capital of Sanxing is now Yulin.
- Mexico citysize change got a date correction.
- Even more german spelling and grammar fixes.
- Savoie is no longer in the italian region.

11th of June
- Manpower is reduced with less at the start of the game if at war.
- Fixed trade-value display from local_trade_income_modifier.
- Crimea and Astrakhan are now steppe horde.
- Battlescores are now scaled on total amount of troops killed.

Duke of Britain
Jun 15, 2012, 08:31 PM
Wow, the new changes should make wars harder, more interesting and possibly more realistic as well :)

Optical
Jun 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
Yeah, looks like that's the consensus over at the Plaza as well.

In other news: I'm a little less than a week shy of getting a new computer, one that can run EU properly (i.e. not 30 seconds for a month at the fastest speed :eek:) and so I should be able to post games more :D Also, I've just about finished my ridiculously long-running Holland -> Netherlands game, so I should have some screenshots up within the week as well. ;)

cardgame
Jun 16, 2012, 12:29 AM
I've been playing as Naples recently and having a blast. This particular game is just about the longest I've ever played, actually.

World, 1463:
http://i.imgur.com/Y9MpJ.jpg

Austria has blobbed all over Hungary and the Hordes, while Bavaria and Bohemia build up strength in central Europe. England is ready to form the UK, and somehow still holds land in France. Sweden is a powerhouse but competes with Novgorod for Finland's soul.

The Mamluks collapsed extremely early on, for no apparent reason. That's Brittany you see in northern Egypt. The Timurids are still going strong, the longest I've seen them endure personally. The Ottomans were doing just fine and expanding heavily into Europe until I declared a Crusade on them in approximately 1440. I lost my papal control less than a year after I got it, just in time to completely screw them over, hehe. France, Castille, Aragon, and about three other countries (not including France's seven vassals) dogpiled them hardcore around 1452-3 when I declared war on them and made them release several vassals. Bulgaria then burgeoned during the ongoing Crusades, as did Byzantium, snatching up released Smyrna and a few other Ottoman provinces.

I invaded Tunisia and Tripoli as soon as I could to stop Castille from taking all of Africa. I soon allied with Aragon to prevent Castille from blobbing up Spain and the rest of the Med. It worked pretty well, and they called me to war soon enough, some time around 1415 or 1420, taking several provinces. They now trust me implicitly. I'm not sure when Portugal snatched territory, but it got one too, later down the road. It seems like they still have enough power and influence to invade and take Ottoman provinces, though.

France I have been bribing to stay on good terms with me the entire game, and they haven't blobbed too badly yet. I may still be able to stop them from doing so if Burgundy doesn't get dogpiled (their infamy is 29/35). France randomly invaded Greece in the 1410s.

I vassalized the Papal State and then diplo-annexed them in a few short years after they declared war on me in some alliance scheme in roughly 1440. Ever since, the papal controllers have been excommunicating me :\

I somehow missed out on taking the allied states screenshot, so to close, I'm allied with:

Milan
Aragon
Tuscany (vassal)
Moldavia
Portugal
And someone or two else

And here are my personal possessions:
http://i.imgur.com/iSsjz.jpg

Choeimok
Jun 16, 2012, 05:35 AM
Every now and then you read about collapsing into a horde, like that one epic Ryukyu Horde WC or strategies how to conquer Japan - and recently I saw a horde Persia (that was significantly scarier than your average Timurid empire despite not being as big because it actually could tech decently), so even the AI can do it apparently, but how exactly does it work? Something like collapsing to revolutionary rebels from land that starts horde-controlled or does it maybe have to be Altaic-cultured?

Optical
Jun 16, 2012, 01:42 PM
I think it was religious rebels. One of the beta patches fixed it (much to the relief of DDRJake, who had done his Ryukyu Horde WC not a moment too soon :p)

SamSniped
Jun 16, 2012, 07:20 PM
@cardgame-In my Milan-->Italy game, the Timurids are still alive with 2 provinces. It's 1645 :p

cardgame
Jun 16, 2012, 07:37 PM
Wow. That's hard to believe.

Small update: 1473 now. I've vassalized Croatia and Bosnia while taking their coastal provinces (Bosnia took over Montenegro). My infamy is up there, 20-something. Milan swallowed four-province Savoy and then released them with three of their provinces intact, as well as taking more land from Bulgaria. Bulgaria got roflstomped by an Austrian-Milanese alliance and is now an OPM again. Austria has om-nom-nommed even more land from the Hordes (and Bulgaria). By 1500 I plan to control most of the Balkans, at which point I will turn my eye towards Greece. Milan must be kept in check, but I dare not fight them while they are allied with Austria...

pesgores
Jun 17, 2012, 08:15 AM
How do I get this game to work properly on Windows 7 64-bit?

Google is refusing to help me...

Mosher
Jun 17, 2012, 08:24 AM
Can you tell us what's wrong? Ie, error message, crash to desktop?

hoplitejoe
Jun 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
I have Windows 7 64-bit, and I have no problems due to that.

pesgores
Jun 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
Can you tell us what's wrong? Ie, error message, crash to desktop?

Really slow gameplay, yet I meet the recommended requirements. From what I've searched, it's the OS's fault.

Mosher
Jun 17, 2012, 09:32 AM
Weird, it runs fine on mine.

NBAfan
Jun 17, 2012, 11:25 AM
Really slow gameplay, yet I meet the recommended requirements. From what I've searched, it's the OS's fault.What are your system specs?

cardgame
Jun 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have Windows 7 64-bit, and I have no problems due to that.

Likewise.

pesgores
Jun 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
What are your system specs?

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 661 @ 3.33GHz
RAM: 4 Gb
Video Card: ASUS EAH5450 Series
DirectX: 11.0

cardgame
Jun 17, 2012, 07:57 PM
Integrated graphics shouldn't have trouble running this game, but I suspect it must be where the problem lies.

Quintillus
Jun 17, 2012, 10:16 PM
@Cardgame - Nice game, I was going to say nice Bulgaria, but I guess not anymore. Those Timurids are doing pretty well. That Austria is scary, though. I think I would have left the Ottomans alone, just so they could (somewhat) counteract Austria. Although maybe having some Christian countries in between that Austria can't Holy War on is a good thing. Are you planning to keep expanding in Africa? Or to go Protestant to avoid the excommunications?

Choeimok
Jun 18, 2012, 03:58 AM
I think it was religious rebels. One of the beta patches fixed it (much to the relief of DDRJake, who had done his Ryukyu Horde WC not a moment too soon :p)

Sorry to dig this question back up, but if the option was removed, how did my AI Persians in 5.2 become Steppe Nomads then? :confused:

uat2d
Jun 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
Magna Mundi cancelled (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?614933-Magna-Mundi-cancelled)

Hi all,

today Paradox Interactive decided to cancel Magna Mundi. It will not see the light of day under the current set up: Universo Virtual (UV) will not be part of this project any more.

The reasons for cancelling the contract with Universo Virtual include the following:

- Lack of progress; we have seen this project drag on and the code we have gotten has not shown significant improvement for many months. Some old and known problems persists and new ones appear with each delivery.

- Lack of trust; the leadership of UV has given a sunshine version of the project to Paradox and reacted with irritation and anger when we have pointed out obvious problems with the deliveries. It has come to a point where they claim the project is done, and the game is ready for release – despite the many critical issues found and reported on our end.

- Internal strife within the MM team; we have gotten information from members within the MM team desperate to save the project whom report to us that the project lacks active leadership. Key personnel in the project see what Paradox sees but instead gets silenced by the UV leadership.

All in all, these are not circumstances under which we can work with a team and it will now stop. At this point we have no more news than the above.

Sincerely and regretfully,
Mattias Lilja
Executive Producer for Magna Mundi

It had to come to this.

Arakhor
Jun 18, 2012, 08:39 AM
Well, that wasn't a surprise, especially when it became clear that UV leadership were not reading from the same sheet as Paradox.

Antilogic
Jun 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
I'm glad they aren't releasing a half-finished buggy mess. Maybe this is because I don't lurk in the MM forums, but I haven't seen too much news on the trust difficulties and internal conflicts on the MM team. When did this stuff start?

Arakhor
Jun 18, 2012, 12:04 PM
I don't know, but it became rather clear that Ubik had a large ego and that statements from UV were differing from those of Paradox. Apparently, they were over a year late and had been promising the stars all that time.

Heathcliff
Jun 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
Ubik might be blunt sometimes.
But he is a skilled programmer and has a clear belief how he wants his game.

If you feel tired of EU3, that you have mastered it.
I recommend you to try his mod.
It has given me as much joy as the base EU3 has given.

It adds a much larger challange to the game.
Even playing a major nation is challeging in Magna Mundi.

TheLastOne36
Jun 18, 2012, 12:25 PM
I don't know, but it became rather clear that Ubik had a large ego and that statements from UV were differing from those of Paradox. Apparently, they were over a year late and had been promising the stars all that time.

Became?

The guy in his heyday spammed the EU3 forums with links to his mod daily.

Arakhor
Jun 18, 2012, 12:56 PM
The cancellation thread is starting to lose a respectability battle with YouTube comments. One person suggested that Ubik was and another said that someone should put Paradox out of business for their cancellation. One of the MM developers heavily implied that Paradox had shelved MM simply to "steal" their code and use it to make EU4. It's utterly ridiculous.

TheLastOne36
Jun 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
I hope my mod is completed long before EU4 is.

Honestly, the modding life of EU3 can last another 3-4 years I think before Paradox need to start thinking about EU4. Seeing as Magni Mundi was limited by various issues, I would wait a few more years for the software to do what they want to become available. I guess it doesn't hurt to begin early brainstorming though.

Optical
Jun 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Sorry to dig this question back up, but if the option was removed, how did my AI Persians in 5.2 become Steppe Nomads then? :confused:

Which beta? Could have still happened if it was in one of the first few.

cardgame
Jun 18, 2012, 04:16 PM
Is there even a need for EU4?

TheLastOne36
Jun 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
Is there even a need for EU4?Nope. Not with the modding community.

If anything, they should release one last expansion with a few new things (Like how in DW they added the Daimyo and Chinese system), maybe focus the attention to the Indian subcontinent, and add a bunch of new mod-friendly things modders could do.

The modding community is actually fantastic market research now that I think about it. They just need to take note what are popular things modders add and pay attention to what the community wants through the forums, and then release in the future (2015 or 2016?) Europa Universalis IV with greatly updated graphics, new game engine and UI, etc.

uat2d
Jun 18, 2012, 05:08 PM
I think Vicky 2's map is the only thing I want. More islands, a couple more provinces and no wasteland. :)

Antilogic
Jun 18, 2012, 05:10 PM
I think Vicky 2's map is the only thing I want. More islands, a couple more provinces and no wasteland. :)

I think either there needs to be tons more wasteland, or colonization needs to be much harder in Africa. Otherwise, it gets colonized too early!

TheLastOne36
Jun 18, 2012, 05:46 PM

Funny, I just put recently succeeded in importing Vicky 2's map into EU3.

uat2d
Jun 18, 2012, 08:21 PM
I think either there needs to be tons more wasteland, or colonization needs to be much harder in Africa. Otherwise, it gets colonized too early!

Even as the game is now, it's too easy, you can settle Australia or the American West by the 1600s without much hassle, much earlier if you plan ahead and conquer some bits of Northern Africa.

Colonization needs to be improved, that's for sure :)

Funny, I just put recently succeeded in importing Vicky 2's map into EU3.

I'd love to be able to play it, even if it was only vanilla DW :D

NBAfan
Jun 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Is there even a need for EU4?Yes, internal politics, more fleshed out colony system, more complex alliance options, an AI that has a concept of the balance of power to name some things that could be in a new game. EU4 would probably be more like going from EU 1 to EU2 then the radical change of EU2 to EU3.

Optical
Jun 18, 2012, 10:05 PM
^ It's the rule of evens: the even-numbered games build on the new stuff that the odd-numbered ones introduce.

TheLastOne36
Jun 18, 2012, 10:51 PM
I'd love to be able to play it, even if it was only vanilla DW :D

The province borders aren't accurate at all (Just kind of drew them in quickly for conversion) and lots of coastal regions didn't convert well as well as lakes etc. It isn't ready to be played in at all. But I must admit, it is nice seeing Europe with the correct proportions, the Baltic coastline in particular is lovely.

Oda Nobunaga
Jun 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
"Correct proportions" being of course a relative term, since no map projection known to man actually give a correct proportion "More aesthetically pleasing proportions since it looks like the sort of map we're used to" is closer :-p

(It's one reason I renounced on trying to fix the map proportions in my mod. I tried, but ultimately, the result would be excessively small European provinces, whacked up distances in the northern parts of the map, etc.)

Basically, any map is going to have projection issues. When it comes right down to it, that means that gameplay, not geographic accuracy, should be the chief design constraint in deciding how to project your map. If that means getting a wonky map projection that over-focus on Europe...make sense to me.

TheLastOne36
Jun 19, 2012, 01:31 PM
"Correct proportions" being of course a relative term, since no map projection known to man actually give a correct proportion "More aesthetically pleasing proportions since it looks like the sort of map we're used to" is closer :-p

(It's one reason I renounced on trying to fix the map proportions in my mod. I tried, but ultimately, the result would be excessively small European provinces, whacked up distances in the northern parts of the map, etc.)

No, I meant correct proportions.

Obviously as you said, no map projection could actually give correct proportions(And I don't buy those Dymaxian projections ;)) but we can however get correct proportions relative to a common map projection like the Mercator projection. (Which for a Europe-Centric game, for once isn't a bad thing)

What Paradox had before, was a map with completely inaccurate coastlines, proportion of landmasses to other landmasses, all of Belarus-Ukraine was squished up to 1/3 of it's real size making any province modding in the area insanely difficult, etc. Just take a look at the coastline of the Bay of Biscay in game and compared to a map for an example.

Basically, any map is going to have projection issues. When it comes right down to it, that means that gameplay, not geographic accuracy, should be the chief design constraint in deciding how to project your map. If that means getting a wonky map projection that over-focus on Europe...make sense to me.
Yup. I endorse the Mercator Projection for the sake of gameplay, despite how much I hate it.

One of the ideas I had, which I still might do, was making my own map, not based on any particular projections, and make the map intentionally disproportionate so we have a huge Europe alongside with a large East Asia and India. Perhaps I'll achieve this by expanding the diameter of the Earth rather than making South America, Africa and Australia huge? I don't know if that could even theoretically work :lol:, more likely I would just switch the scale here and there and make up the space on the oceans. I haven't really given it much thought on how, I'm more focused on getting my mod to stop crashing :p.

Oda Nobunaga
Jun 19, 2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, that one area is a bit of a mess (Eastern Europe/Baltic/Black Sea/Levant), because of the way Paradox handled merging the European and Rest of Asia parts of their map (as they cleared used a different projection for the Europe area). Which is the one major flop of their map projection. Most everything else can be made sense of.

That said, IMO it's normal for Belarus and Ukraine to be proportionally smaller compared to Europe. Even if all provinces of the PLC are represented, there's only so many provinces you'd end up with in the region, and there's very little reason to subdivide those. So if they were not proportionally smaller than western/central Europe, you'd either end up with a handful of massive provinces, or a massive handful of provinces (far more than is justifiable)..

TheLastOne36
Jun 19, 2012, 02:35 PM
Blasphemy! :p

http://i.imgur.com/FHhiY.jpg

I still need to do Zoprozhia and Crimea but I am pleased with the provinces I have for the region. These provinces are not particularly rich either so it isn't like Lithuania will become a superpower (especially since Russia has more provinces as well), if anything it is a handicap.

I am sure once I am done with all the extra tags, events, missions and decisions for the area, the area will be on par with Western Europe in terms of playability.

Oda Nobunaga
Jun 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
The problem is that more provinces does not equate more playability. Far from: beyond a certain number of provinces (enough to have reasonable defensive depth), you hit diminishing returns hard - adding five provinces to a five-province nation is much more beneficial in terms of game value than adding fifteen to a ten-province nation, which is in turn far more valuable from a gameplay perspective than adding 100 province to a 25 province nation. The fact is, beyond military operations, provinces add very little to the game, except being MORE provinces where the player has to click and build when magistrates become available.

In my opinion, once a country has around 10-ish provinces, there is very little to be gained by adding more, except where useful for historical reasons (eg, so you can simulate relatively reasonable borders for the era). It's far better, from a gameplay perspective, to have fewer provinces and more things to do in them, than more provinces with fewer things to do in them. It's also better, at least IMO, to have fewer provinces (within reason) with more things to do in them, than more provinces with more things to do in them - It was (pops aside) one of the significant downsides of Vicky I, having so many provinces to manage.

(Of course I have no intention of taking away provinces from countries that already have them)

TheLastOne36
Jun 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
You are right, I've learned that lesson the hard way. Every province I make now serves a geographic/regional, historical, balance or boundary purpose. My mod is changing the game mechanics drastically as well(especially regarding man power, taxes, and province populations) so I don't think balance will end up being an issue. (Especially with aforementioned new events and province decisions, Lithuania will have lots to worry about ;)) Those game mechanics are what are giving me all these ctd's...... Anyway, the area needed a complete overhaul and the only province I added that I don't think was really necessary was Slutsk, but having an elongated Navagradak would make for ugly borders if a foreign state conquered/rebelled from it.

Ceoladir
Jun 19, 2012, 07:56 PM
What's the best mod to play? I'm talking Death and Taxes or PDM (for V2 players) scale mods. All I have the latest version of Death and Taxes installed, and though I rarely play this game, I'm thinking of playing it a bit more.

uat2d
Jun 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
What's the best mod to play? I'm talking Death and Taxes or PDM (for V2 players) scale mods. All I have the latest version of Death and Taxes installed, and though I rarely play this game, I'm thinking of playing it a bit more.

The latest D&T is a bug-ridden slow mess.

Try 4.9, where there's none of that bs or stuff like Austro-Hungarian culture :lol:

taillesskangaru
Jun 19, 2012, 08:51 PM

Further Beyond: KPUK

...which is coming out some time in the next ten years.

Antilogic
Jun 19, 2012, 10:38 PM
Even as the game is now, it's too easy, you can settle Australia or the American West by the 1600s without much hassle, much earlier if you plan ahead and conquer some bits of Northern Africa.

Agreed. Colonization needs to progress much slower in the game. And natives shouldn't disappear once you claim the province, or be "cleaned out" of an entire region by a couple regiments in a single year.

On the maps--I'm glad somebody is trying to fix the crap Paradox packed with base EU3. I can at least tolerate the DW map, but improvements are always welcome. :)

taillesskangaru
Jun 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
In progress...

http://i.imgur.com/Uvm8Q.png

Oda Nobunaga
Jun 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
Agreed. Colonization needs to progress much slower in the game. And natives shouldn't disappear once you claim the province, or be "cleaned out" of an entire region by a couple regiments in a single year.

Depends what colonization is suposed to represent, really. And there's an issue of game mechanics as well.

If you assume colonization to be only cities, then yes, it's much too quick. But then, there's nothing to represent the other ways in which the west established their control of areas - forts, missions, and large-scale trading posts. They should be separate mechanisms, but so long as there's only one colonization mechanism, then they absolutely should be considered part of that mechanism.

And in that light, I'm not sure colonization develops that much too quickly. The French network went from Montreal being the westmost extent around 1665 (and a threatened one at that) to trading posts at lake Nipigon and on the Mississippi by around 1700. Colonization certain starts too early, but once it gets started, it should not be THAT hard to extend your control over a sizeable area. Similarly the British trade/fort network underwent rapid expansion after the end of the wars with New France, going from Manitoba (where they had taken over various French outposts and settlements) all the way to British Columbia, along two separate routes (Saskatchewan river route, including the future Edmonton, and Athabasca/Peace river route, including the futures Fort Chipewyan and Fort St. John).

Now the way natives are treated, I agree that's completely shameful.

Ashurdan
Jun 20, 2012, 01:01 AM
Playing as muscovy, when fighting the golden horde, is it best to colonize a lot of provinces and wait for them to grow as the war drags on, or to grab them one at a time and build it up?

Mosher
Jun 20, 2012, 01:03 AM
I would say grab them one at a time. If you spread them too thinly, it will take ages for them to grow and your war exhaustion will get very high, and the Golden Horde can burn them down if you're not careful.

TheLastOne36
Jun 20, 2012, 01:52 AM
In progress...

http://i.imgur.com/Uvm8Q.png

Fantastic work. How big is the map in relation to the vanilla map? (Or Victoria II's)

I especially appreciate the work you've done on Eastern Africa. The wasteland province in Borneo is also a nice touch.

taillesskangaru
Jun 20, 2012, 02:23 AM
Same size as the Vanilla map.

Arakhor
Jun 20, 2012, 03:02 AM
The new version of Death & Taxes (6.2) is better optimised, from what I can tell. Give that a whirl.

west india man
Jun 20, 2012, 08:23 AM
Rather than give you a long changelog I thought I'd give you a brief description of what has changed in the 6.0.

1) Firstly and most importantly is a new map, India, China and America have been completely redrawn. Full credit for this goes to Dafool (China/America) and Trin Tragula (India). All in all I think we added something in the region of 100-150 provinces (I'm sure Dafool can clarify). Tonnes of new countries were added to fill these regions too! India also has completely revamped cultures.

2) We added new graphics, more precisely the terrain textures and map overlay from the DaO mod. I still like the Modestus map however I thought it was time for a change, and I really liked the DaO map graphics.

3) Everything (and I mean everything) has been rebalanced. Benefits from missions/decisions, ideas and sliders has been rethought. Claim on X now requires cores!!! and nationalism lasts for longer, and reduces manpower. There are many other changes, some of which are documented in the changelog, but many of which aren't. You should just notice a general difference as you play. Finally, cbs have been reworked slightly. Every nation gets religious liberation which gives 25% bb. Holy war is reserved for muslims, catholics and orthodox - it gives 50% bb.

4) Religions in the east redone. Hinduism is in its own group. Buddhism is split into Theravda and Mahayana. They are in the same group as Shinbatsu Shugo and Shenism.

5) I added loads of new events and decisions to add a bit more flavour to certain countries and generally make the game more interesting.

6)There's generally just loads of other stuff which I can't begin to start describing. If you noticed any new features you liked please flag them up for other people to know about.

Sounds pretty good.

Ceoladir
Jun 20, 2012, 05:24 PM
The new version of Death & Taxes (6.2) is better optimised, from what I can tell. Give that a whirl.
Well that's the only mod I have installed. Since I can't bear the game in Vanilla due to the crappy map, I'll go ahead and play D&T. :p

Arakhor
Jun 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
Well, you can also try MPM v6.5 (More Provinces Mod), which lives up to its name, as well as a bunch of new nations, cultures, decisions, events and so on.

TheLastOne36
Jun 20, 2012, 06:38 PM
Well, you can also try MPM v6.5 (More Provinces Mod), which lives up to its name, as well as a bunch of new nations, cultures, decisions, events and so on.

DanubianCossack's mod is my personal favorite. I recommend it! :goodjob:

Ceoladir
Jun 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Now the real challenge is finding time to play it between work and musical pursuits. :p

Quintillus
Jun 20, 2012, 08:51 PM
Depends what colonization is suposed to represent, really. And there's an issue of game mechanics as well.

If you assume colonization to be only cities, then yes, it's much too quick. But then, there's nothing to represent the other ways in which the west established their control of areas - forts, missions, and large-scale trading posts. They should be separate mechanisms, but so long as there's only one colonization mechanism, then they absolutely should be considered part of that mechanism.

And in that light, I'm not sure colonization develops that much too quickly. The French network went from Montreal being the westmost extent around 1665 (and a threatened one at that) to trading posts at lake Nipigon and on the Mississippi by around 1700. Colonization certain starts too early, but once it gets started, it should not be THAT hard to extend your control over a sizeable area. Similarly the British trade/fort network underwent rapid expansion after the end of the wars with New France, going from Manitoba (where they had taken over various French outposts and settlements) all the way to British Columbia, along two separate routes (Saskatchewan river route, including the future Edmonton, and Athabasca/Peace river route, including the futures Fort Chipewyan and Fort St. John).

Now the way natives are treated, I agree that's completely shameful.

It is rather interesting that trade posts are one of the few items from EU2 that isn't present in EU3. I'm not sure quite what the decision behind that was.

Playing as muscovy, when fighting the golden horde, is it best to colonize a lot of provinces and wait for them to grow as the war drags on, or to grab them one at a time and build it up?

I'd also be inclined to grab them one at a time, unless someone else was also threatening to grab them. It'll get you new land quicker, and strain your economy less with upkeep, in addition to the benefits Mosher mentioned.

Optical
Jun 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
Now the real challenge is finding time to pursue music and do work between playing. :p

ftfy ;)

New comp is up and running, so I'll be back on EU by the end of the day and will have screenshots of my game up here :)

TheLastOne36
Jun 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
Anyway, a mod I suggest is: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?599628-Deg-Tegh-Fateh-Intro-Beta-version

uat2d
Jun 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
Anyway, a mod I suggest is: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?599628-Deg-Tegh-Fateh-Intro-Beta-version

What is it with those mods' names that everyone tries to make them impossible to spell?

Deg Tegh Fateh? It sound more like Leh Fagh Geth..

Bowsling
Jun 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Separating France and Iberia with wasteland wasn't a great idea...

Duke of Britain
Jun 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
Here. No player interference.
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2610/eu36s.jpg
Caused by a single zealot army that occupied Caen and Paris

Owen Glyndwr
Jun 21, 2012, 07:50 PM

Why? I think it does a pretty good representing the absolute geographic barrier that was the Pyrenees mountains. I just wish they'd done something semi-similar for the Alps, although it'd probably be a big hard to implement.

TheLastOne36
Jun 21, 2012, 07:50 PM

Gameplay wise? I thought it was good, stops blobbing of either country in each others territories and forces both you (and the AI) to build a navy.

I do think however, there should actually be a pass without wasteland in the Basque Land. The area there isn't as mountainous.

Yah it would be harder to implement in the Alps because it would lead to unnatural borders (For the wasteland to work, it must be two tiles across in every part). I think that mod (or some other) uses wastelands in the Caucasus mountains though, which is nice for not allowing the Timurids, Russians, Golden Horde or Ottomans to blob into Central Asia/Caucasus and protects the Caucasian minors from those evil Mongolian hordes.

Owen Glyndwr
Jun 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Gameplay wise? I thought it was good, stops blobbing of either country in each others territories and forces both you (and the AI) to build a navy.

I do think however, there should actually be a pass without wasteland in the Basque Land. The area there isn't as mountainous.

Yah it would be harder to implement in the Alps because it would lead to unnatural borders (For the wasteland to work, it must be two tiles across in every part). I think that mod (or some other) uses wastelands in the Caucasus mountains though, which is nice for not allowing the Timurids, Russians, Golden Horde or Ottomans to blob into Central Asia/Caucasus and protects the Caucasian minors from those evil Mongolian hordes.

Yeah, I also like its placement in Scandinavia. I agree with your statement RE: breaking it up a bit.

Bowsling
Jun 21, 2012, 08:30 PM
Why? I think it does a pretty good representing the absolute geographic barrier that was the Pyrenees mountains. I just wish they'd done something semi-similar for the Alps, although it'd probably be a big hard to implement.

It's just much too blunt. Using a machete rather than a scalpel. Of course you can reach Aragon overland from France, it's just a challenge, especially in the interior. If they made mountain ranges like the Pyrenees harder to cross, it would make sense.

Not to mention ruining game immersion with a little grey band running through the Pyrenees - it reminds me of some of the more advanced CivIII mods.

TheLastOne36
Jun 21, 2012, 08:52 PM
That we can agree on.

Some other guy has a minimod where if you border a wastelands province, over time the wasteland province becomes your "color" despite it still being wastelands, impassable and not serving any purpose. (So it is purely for aesthetic reasons) Might be worth investigating implementing it in if it really bothers you.

edit: Also, I just checked and there are wastelands in the alps around switzerland in that mod!!

Optical
Jun 22, 2012, 03:40 AM
Close to the end of my current game, so I'm in the process of choosing what my next onew will be. The current ideas I have are Crete from 1399, Athens from 1428 (a start I randomly pickede a while ago and still haven't done) or Bihar from 1399. Which of those sounds the most interesting?

taillesskangaru
Jun 22, 2012, 07:06 AM
Bihar just because it's not Europe.

May I suggest Mamelukes.

Duke of Britain
Jun 22, 2012, 11:20 AM
Close to the end of my current game, so I'm in the process of choosing what my next onew will be. The current ideas I have are Crete from 1399, Athens from 1428 (a start I randomly pickede a while ago and still haven't done) or Bihar from 1399. Which of those sounds the most interesting?

A chinese or Indian country in D&T 6.2 ;)

SamSniped
Jun 22, 2012, 11:46 AM
Try for Milan 1399 start, and become Italy before 1470.
Speaking of which, I'm still on said game and finished a war. I DoW'd Portugal, and Aragon, Castile, & Brabant joined in. I got from each:
Brabant: ducats plus random claims removed
Aragon: ducats, vassalized, The Baelares
Portugal: Yamasee, Apalachee, ducats
Castile: Coahuila, Honduras, Guyaquil, Jamaica, Valencia, Alicante, Murcia, Almeria, and Granada
Once my BB goes down, I am going to fix some borders ;)

Quintillus
Jun 23, 2012, 01:16 AM
The Manchurian Invasion of Japan is going very well after several waves. The first wave was almost a failure due to Divine Wind, with Japan unexpectedly upsetting my much larger navy with their (admittedly slightly more advanced) fleet. But, after buying out Minamoto, the remaining daimyos were weak and susceptible to invasion. I'm pretty sure Minamoto regretted selling out when they did, even if it did weaken their rivals in the short term. My only concern is how to conquer the last provinces of each of the daimyos - only Minamoto now has more than one province.

The navy is now in the process of expanding to 100 Caravels, which will exceed the British Empire in quantity (though certainly not quality) of capital ships. The army is a third of a million troops, the largest standing army in the world, though occasionally rivaled by heavy shorter-term recruitment elsewhere. Land technology is equal with the Eastern Europeans, government tech is equal with the large Western Europeans (though not the small trading behemoths), and other technological levels are pitiful. I'm glad I stuck with the Chinese tech group. Plans are to finish conquering Japan, and hopefully inheriting Taungu, thus forming Eastasia as a pretty-much-unified empire.

I did an Athens start in the first year you can. It was a good challenge, even though the Ottomans didn't decide to try to conquer me - despite being a pretty successful Ottoman Empire. Obviously, assuming you can get a couple more provinces so that you aren't in danger from your immediate neighbors, an ongoing saga is going to be trying to avoid being squashed like a bug by them. It's not impossible, but takes a solid plan, good intelligence about when to act, and a certain degree of luck.

Crete sounds really hard. Unlike Athens, you have to have a navy to transport your armies at the start. Unless you plan on going trade-centric. I never did westernize as Athens, and eventually became just as advanced as the western powers. I guess the advantage is that others are less likely to pick on you as Crete than as Athens, but I'm not sure it would be as interesting.

Of the three I'd probably choose Bihar, although in part because I've done Athens. It's not exactly a cakewalk, but you do have a center of trade, at least. And it could be interesting being in India. It's not so hopeless as a New World country technologically, and there's no Colonial Conquest casus belli against you, but it's still a fair disadvantage against even the Muslim tech group, and of course Vijaynagar, Rajputana, Delhi, and Orissa are all likely favorites over you. I suspect you'd have more challenges from Europe than I have in my game as the Manchu, which could actually be good, as I've been actually slightly disappointed that I haven't had any serious wars with the Europeans. Although in part that was due to successful diplomacy. I might have to start a war with the British Empire in that game just so I can have a nice big naval battle and possible Chinese invasion of England.

Optical
Jun 23, 2012, 04:30 AM
I've chosen a different Indian country as it turns out ;) I've decided to do a Manipur run.

Manipur is certainly an interesting country - if you get lucky you can get most of Bengal within the first 15. Had to reload a couple of times though due to forgetting who was allied to who/not checking the ledger.

TheLastOne36
Jun 23, 2012, 07:57 PM
In my current game, the Ottomans became monsters. :(

I took a coalition of Styria(who owns all of Austria, has Habsburg ruler etc. :p), Poland, Lithuania, A strong Muscovy, Kingdom of Two-Sicilies, Hungary, Wallachia+Moldova(in this mod, actually strong), and Croatia to even push a peace treaty where the Ottomans conceded one exclave of a province...

Quintillus
Jun 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
Manipur... that should be interesting. Certainly not an easy choice.

I want a screenshot of the monster Ottomans. I usually like a nice strong Ottomans, since often either Austria or Bohemia becomes the superpower in southeast Europe.

Kyriakos
Jun 23, 2012, 10:19 PM
Thinking of playing a game again. Either England or Roman Empire. I know, you'd never expect the latter ;)

But if i do i will plan to have all areas in every Greek state in History. Here is a map of that by Dachs:

http://i.imgur.com/XCPZF.png

Antilogic
Jun 24, 2012, 12:05 AM
Now that's a Megali Hellas if I ever saw one.

civ_king
Jun 24, 2012, 12:09 AM
Thinking of playing a game again. Either England or Roman Empire. I know, you'd never expect the latter ;)

But if i do i will plan to have all areas in every Greek state in History. Here is a map of that by Dachs:

Challenge accepted

Optical
Jun 24, 2012, 02:10 AM
Manipur... that should be interesting. Certainly not an easy choice.

I want a screenshot of the monster Ottomans. I usually like a nice strong Ottomans, since often either Austria or Bohemia becomes the superpower in southeast Europe.

Well, I tried. Problem ended up being Assam who got the provinces I really needed to get access to in order to conquer the rest of India, then proceeded to decide I was small enough to subjugate at 6 provinces. I'll probably have another go sometime, but I think I need something easier. India, I think, is out. Too easy as Vijay, too hard as everyone else due to Vijay. :(

Akka
Jun 24, 2012, 02:25 AM
Remind me of my Byzantine game that I've still to finish :

http://akkalevil.free.fr/EU3/Byz-1716.jpg

Optical
Jun 24, 2012, 02:39 AM
@Kyriakos' map/Akka's game:

100 years? You can make it easily. Great game. :)

Kyriakos
Jun 24, 2012, 04:09 AM
Nice game there Akka :)

But, a Byzantine Ireland? :wow:

SamSniped
Jun 24, 2012, 04:51 AM

Thinking of taking over that? Why not as Italy? :p

Akka
Jun 24, 2012, 05:55 AM
Nice game there Akka :)

But, a Byzantine Ireland? :wow:
I inherited it with Spain (along a big chunk of South America).
Also, I intend to make an "extended" full Roman Empire. They got the south of Great Britain, so I plan to take the whole British Isles ^^

Arakhor
Jun 24, 2012, 06:43 AM
In my Byzantine game, I'm extending my rule in Europe through vassals and allies, rather than simply painting the map purple. I'm way too busy for that! :)

Quintillus
Jun 24, 2012, 08:42 PM
Very nice Byzantium there. And I like Kyriakos' plan, even if Byzantium is a very predictable country. Sounds like a grander version of my plans for my Athens game.

Well, I tried. Problem ended up being Assam who got the provinces I really needed to get access to in order to conquer the rest of India, then proceeded to decide I was small enough to subjugate at 6 provinces. I'll probably have another go sometime, but I think I need something easier. India, I think, is out. Too easy as Vijay, too hard as everyone else due to Vijay. :(

Well, you're only subjugated, not annexed! There's still time to build up a big army and fight back!

But yeah, there aren't a ton of middle grounds in India. Maybe Delhi, if you're OK with a Muslim India. I tried Gondwana and Orissa once upon a time, and neither time did I have any degree of success.

Quintillus
Jun 24, 2012, 10:53 PM
So... is it not possible to conquer Japan properly? I've occupied every province, have what should be a less than 100 province cost, every Japanese daimyo is a one-province minor, they have no army or rebels left, and all their bases are belong to us. But I cannot annex any of them, and the vassal cost is 1120 warscore, while I only have 100 warscore. I do get a popup that the shogunate is disbanded every day.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=324343&stc=1&d=1340599678

But I can't annex Japan :(. I am at war with Polotsk, helping the Russians crush them with powerful Chinese artillery, and Deva Bengal owns Kiroshima, but otherwise things are pretty standard. Tried restarting the game, too. Methinks this may be a bug, seems like Japan ought to be conquerable.

As seen, I can get some nice claim renunciations. I already accepted some from Taira in the last war. But that isn't quite as good as actually, y'know, conquering them. And if I accept this now, I'm not sure they'll surrender next time, either.

Edit: Playing official 5.1 version.

JamesCaesar
Jun 25, 2012, 02:08 AM

I must say, nice Bulgaria.

Arakhor
Jun 25, 2012, 05:17 AM
The Japan issue is a well-known bug. I think that they may have fixed in in 5.2.

Leonel
Jun 25, 2012, 09:04 AM
That's still bugged? Ugh. You can at least disable those popups by right clicking them I think.

Optical
Jun 25, 2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah, the beta patches fixed that.

Quintillus
Jun 25, 2012, 07:52 PM
Hmmkay. Perhaps it's time I try out a beta-patch, then. It is somewhat more difficult to conquer Japan this way :).

OK, that worked. Whew!

And, you know your naval tech is awful when...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=324437&stc=1&d=1340680091

And those admirals were of similar skill. Two threedeckers and three frigates is enough to defeat 100 caravels? At least Portugal was scared enough that they stayed at port in Lisboa until I occupied the city. But I'm glad I challenged Portugal before Great Britain with this result!

Optical
Jun 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
Well, I started a Ragusa game, minly just to see what would happen. To my surprise, I've actually survived! Although a total defeat by the Ottomans meant I had to reload twenty years... which is a shame, since in that twenty years I got five cores through event, Claims on our Rivals and a Boundary Dispute :(

Screenshots don't seem to be behaving the way they should be, though, so nothing to show at the moment.

Optical
Jun 27, 2012, 03:39 AM
Alright, made some progress.

Here we go:

http://i.imgur.com/X3lgr.jpg

NedimNapoleon
Jun 27, 2012, 04:55 AM
Nice Ragusa game, make a united Balkania.

Arakhor
Jun 27, 2012, 05:53 AM
I have a suspicion I was just looking at that map over at Paradox. :)

Bowsling
Jun 27, 2012, 09:09 AM
Wow, all that in 60 years! You could probably pull off a WC at this point.

taillesskangaru
Jun 27, 2012, 09:38 AM
Watch out for Austria!

Bowsling
Jun 27, 2012, 09:39 AM
Watch out for Austria! Bohemia!

Fixed it for you. ;)

taillesskangaru
Jun 27, 2012, 10:00 AM
Fixed it for you. ;)

No, not fixed. Austria is the closer threat and also may even be more powerful in absolute terms.

The only non-threatening Austria is a non-existant Austria.

Bowsling
Jun 27, 2012, 11:39 AM

Hehe. Very true. :lol:

Also, more Scandinavian shenanigans:

Optical
Jun 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
Nice Ragusa game, make a united Balkania.
That's basically the idea. If I can get my inflation down...
I have a suspicion I was just looking at that map over at Paradox. :)
Probably. ;)
Wow, all that in 60 years! You could probably pull off a WC at this point.
Simple trick: mercenaries, and take down Montenegro right at the start. You just need to be lucky enough to have a Montenegro not guaranteed/allied, so I DoWed day 1 and then waited for my mercenaries.
Also, Claims on our Rivals and three Boundary Disputes. :D
Watch out for Austria!
Austria is the closer threat and also may even be more powerful in absolute terms.

Yeah, that's definitely a threatening Austria. Not sure yet how I'm going to deal with them, Westernising is at this point the #1 priority which will hopefully make that easier.
Hehe. Very true. :lol:

Also, more Scandinavian shenanigans
[snip]

...Gelre??

Bowsling
Jun 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
And Prussia too! :D

SamSniped
Jun 29, 2012, 01:11 PM
No, not fixed. Austria is the closer threat and also may even be more powerful in absolute terms.

The Austria-Hungary and Austria-Bohemia alliances that formed in the 1500s were struck down by my Italy before ~1600. Now my only threats are Ming (although is looks like it's about to fall apart), Japan (somehow Japan can into Middle East...), the Big Bleu Blob (who is on my kill-it-quickly list), Persia (which is fricking HUGE), and the Not-Quite-Spain-Called-Castile-Portugal alliance (I took some of the needed provinces from Castile, and vassalized the now OPM Aragon). And none of them will dare attack the international superpower known as Italy :p

Pics tomorrow.

Duke of Britain
Jun 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
Hmmkay. Perhaps it's time I try out a beta-patch, then. It is somewhat more difficult to conquer Japan this way :).

OK, that worked. Whew!

And, you know your naval tech is awful when...

And those admirals were of similar skill. Two threedeckers and three frigates is enough to defeat 100 caravels? At least Portugal was scared enough that they stayed at port in Lisboa until I occupied the city. But I'm glad I challenged Portugal before Great Britain with this result!

Similar skill? no.
1 more maneuver is a lot, and your fleet had WAYYY too many ships, see if they would ever beat a fleet of 60 big ships with a 6 maneuver admiral ;)

Quintillus
Jun 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
And Prussia too! :D

Is that Prussia in Finnmark? I was wondering how it was still uncolonized, but that is about Prussia's color, too.

The Austria-Hungary and Austria-Bohemia alliances that formed in the 1500s were struck down by my Italy before ~1600. Now my only threats are Ming (although is looks like it's about to fall apart), Japan (somehow Japan can into Middle East...), the Big Bleu Blob (who is on my kill-it-quickly list), Persia (which is fricking HUGE), and the Not-Quite-Spain-Called-Castile-Portugal alliance (I took some of the needed provinces from Castile, and vassalized the now OPM Aragon). And none of them will dare attack the international superpower known as Italy :p

Pics tomorrow.

Do post pics of Japan in the middle east. Especially if it's the eastern Mediterranean Middle East.

Similar skill? no.
1 more maneuver is a lot, and your fleet had WAYYY too many ships, see if they would ever beat a fleet of 60 big ships with a 6 maneuver admiral ;)

Is one maneuver that much of a difference in a battle? I did notice that my positioning during the battle was nothing short of awful, but attributed it mostly to having a quarter of the naval technology.

If my fleet can't beat 5 non-transport ships, I don't think it's necessary to worry about even defeating 30 ships with a 3 maneuver admiral. Plans are on the line to update it to a 200-capital-ship fleet, but I'm not sure they'll be followed through with.

Unless you mean to say that bigger isn't always better? My natural inclination was to apply the Texas doctrine and figure my fleet just wasn't big enough to defeat Portugal's advanced navy. After all, since when was it easier to defeat 20 spearmen with a tank than 10 spearmen?

west india man
Jun 29, 2012, 07:26 PM
There's a bug in D&T (I'm not sure if it's in vanilla) whereby if you have too many ships (about 100+) fighting in one battle, they'll always get massively defeated.

uat2d
Jun 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
There's a bug in D&T (I'm not sure if it's in vanilla) whereby if you have too many ships (about 100+) fighting in one battle, they'll always get massively defeated.

It's part of the game, it's about maneuver, too many ships will make them ineffective, either use a better Admiral or less ships, more than 5000 cannons is not advisable.

Paradox implemented it to avoid naval doom-stacks.

Arakhor
Jun 30, 2012, 03:08 AM
How do you check how many cannons you have in a fleet?

SamSniped
Jun 30, 2012, 05:20 AM

Pics tomorrow.

Pics as promised-

http://i.imgur.com/RQurh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SEm2U.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oA0J9.png
http://i.imgur.com/w4vUO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u2rKj.png
http://i.imgur.com/Dwhp2.png
http://i.imgur.com/05XaX.png
http://i.imgur.com/2047r.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yg595.png
http://i.imgur.com/SalMQ.png
Pics 4 & 5 have Japan in Africa (they used to have the SW corner of the Middle East). Pics 5 & 6 have Ming occupying the Swahili capital. Oh, and Persia is in #6 in South Africa.

Quintillus
Jun 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
It's part of the game, it's about maneuver, too many ships will make them ineffective, either use a better Admiral or less ships, more than 5000 cannons is not advisable.

Paradox implemented it to avoid naval doom-stacks.

Huh, that's unfortunate, I was hoping to create just such a naval doom-stack. Wouldn't you think my admiral could be smart enough to send in, say, 15 of the ships at a time and not friendly-fire the fleet to pieces?

Doesn't this also pose a problem for non-western nations? How are you supposed to defeat the Spanish armada if you're tecnologically backwards and can't build a supermassive fleet? They'd tear apart small technologically backwards fleets.

It looks like this means it's even counterproductive to add more ships, not just diminishing returns? It'd be tragicomic if I tried this with 200 ships against 1 ship and all 200 of mine got sunk because there were too many of them.

How do you check how many cannons you have in a fleet?

I don't know if there's a fast way, but back of the envelope, I think a Caravel has 25 cannons, so times 100 that'd be about 2500 I had there (a few Carracks were there I think). But the 5000 figure might assume better ships - most European nations will have better technology before they'll want or need to build that many capital ships.

Pics as promised-

http://i.imgur.com/RQurh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SEm2U.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oA0J9.png
http://i.imgur.com/w4vUO.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u2rKj.png
http://i.imgur.com/Dwhp2.png
http://i.imgur.com/05XaX.png
http://i.imgur.com/2047r.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yg595.png
http://i.imgur.com/SalMQ.png
Pics 4 & 5 have Japan in Africa (they used to have the SW corner of the Middle East). Pics 5 & 6 have Ming occupying the Swahili capital. Oh, and Persia is in #6 in South Africa.

That's a gigantic Italy. Are you going for dominating whatever comes up for dominationability?

That's a decent Japan, but I was hoping for more Asian Middle East. I've seen Japan (or the daimyos, in Divine Wind) in East Africa occasionally, not sure exactly what it is about East Africa that Japan likes so much. I forgot you weren't on Divine Wind; Japan seems to be expanding more thanks to that. And I agree, that's a pretty big Persia. You should try fighting Persia, France, Spain, and (if they have a good navy) Britain all at the same time!

Looks like France, Persia, and Spain are the only

SamSniped
Jun 30, 2012, 06:13 AM
I prefer to deal with my enemies one at a time ;)
And yes, I just conquer whatever I feel like. I went after Castile for the lolz :p

Duke of Britain
Jun 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
Huh, that's unfortunate, I was hoping to create just such a naval doom-stack. Wouldn't you think my admiral could be smart enough to send in, say, 15 of the ships at a time and not friendly-fire the fleet to pieces?

Doesn't this also pose a problem for non-western nations? How are you supposed to defeat the Spanish armada if you're tecnologically backwards and can't build a supermassive fleet? They'd tear apart small technologically backwards fleets.

It looks like this means it's even counterproductive to add more ships, not just diminishing returns? It'd be tragicomic if I tried this with 200 ships against 1 ship and all 200 of mine got sunk because there were too many of them.

No, just don't use a huge bigship-only stack, in my Portugal game i can use some 60-80 mixed fleet with no problems ;)
of course, usually i have good admirals and my tech is good as well.

I don't know if there's a fast way, but back of the envelope, I think a Caravel has 25 cannons, so times 100 that'd be about 2500 I had there (a few Carracks were there I think). But the 5000 figure might assume better ships - most European nations will have better technology before they'll want or need to build that many capital ships.

Yeah, but if they technology is superior they'll tear you apart anyway thanks to the combat modifiers (you can see yours in the same screen you change maintance)
If it was on land it would end up the same.

west india man
Jun 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
A 50 big ship stack is safe from friendly fire, even in the 18th Century.

Duke of Britain
Jul 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
A 50 big ship stack is safe from friendly fire, even in the 18th Century.

No. Just, no.
50 Man o'Wars would not be easy to manage in the 18th century, and if you want to compare to real life, it would have even more small ships...
The Admiral of such fleet would have a very hard time coordinating it, and it would definitely be under danger of friendly fire thanks to its size, no fleet is safe of it, unless we are talking about very small numbers...

NBAfan
Jul 01, 2012, 06:53 PM
No. Just, no.
50 Man o'Wars would not be easy to manage in the 18th century, and if you want to compare to real life, it would have even more small ships...
The Admiral of such fleet would have a very hard time coordinating it, and it would definitely be under danger of friendly fire thanks to its size, no fleet is safe of it, unless we are talking about very small numbers...Indeed, just ask the Spanish.

Quintillus
Jul 01, 2012, 08:05 PM
@Duke of Britain - Also a good point that I had only big ships. I suppose, realistically, that might not have been the best idea. But bigger is better doctrine won out. I did continue to use my garguantan navy to better effect against Malacca, but later on split it up into five fleets for better province-invading potential.

I have now completed my Manchurian game, alternately called my Eastasia game. All of southeast Asia plus Boreno got added to the empire, plus a few Arabian provinces from Oman (which gained me tons of extra monopoly money since they had lots of merchants in my CoTs), and by the end of the game was moving into India.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=324984&stc=1&d=1341194033

Russia, formerly Novgorod, has been my ally for centuries, through thick and thin, and it's actually been a useful, two-way alliance. Oh, the days when we were evenly matched against Persia and Delhi. Luneburg is the surprise European success story, with Toulouse, Flanders, and Brazil doing well in overseas empires (Brazil in Africa = overseas enough for me). Bohemia was scary for awhile, but in a few non-total wars that Russia and I fought them in, they proved to be defeatable. They also found themselves in a PU under Mecklenberg in the late 1700s.

I thought about starting a big-scale war against a European power, but didn't. Bohemia and Austria both had large armies, but Russia had more manpower than either, and I had more manpower than both combined (and they weren't allies), so I think victory would have been achieved. Spain was the most likely target, though, as I had 65,000 troops in former Portuguese land, and supply ability for tens of thousands more.

In the end, I was the greatest, but also, for the first time in the last year of the game, dishonourable scum. OPM Deva Bengal thought they could declare war with impunity while I was helping Russia punish Delhi for an embargo, since I was close to my infamy limit. I wasn't about to let them get away with that.

Final stats, about 260 provinces, tons of money, Chinese tech group, land tech 45 (another reason I think I could have won in Europe), government tech 34, and other techs around 18. Coming up on 650K manpower, and a standing army of half a million. Despite our embarrassing naval defeat to Portugal, all said we felt pretty powerful.

Oh, and the Timurids were still around in 1820. I had nothing to do with that. :mischief:

Turquoiside
Jul 01, 2012, 11:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4B8h3.jpg
A nice simple game as Yemen. I declared war on Hedjaz, annexed them, and then vassalized the Jalayrids after Algeria randomly attacked me. I then backstabbed Oman (who I couldn't have beaten Hedjaz w/o) and annexed them along with Haasa. I vassalized Najd in the same war to complete my conquest of Arabia. Persia just declared war on my vassal though, so I'll have that to look forward to when I load up next. I think modding-wise I'll need to add in an Arab Unification tag after I add some bonus for being Muslim and holding Mecca to make playing in this region more 'worthwhile'.

west india man
Jul 02, 2012, 06:46 AM
No. Just, no.
The Admiral of such fleet would have a very hard time coordinating it, and it would definitely be under danger of friendly fire thanks to its size, no fleet is safe of it, unless we are talking about very small numbers...

I meant that your ships don't all get sunk with a 50 ship fleet. :rolleyes:

Mosher
Jul 02, 2012, 11:53 AM
They do when you have an enemy fleet chasing them down :p

mechaerik
Jul 05, 2012, 01:01 PM
2nd of July beta patch:

- Fixed saving game crash.
- Reverted the x3 from sliders over max.
- Being over forcelimits now costs 10x the amount for those troops.
- Units being eliminated now restores 50% of their MP back to the pool.
- Increased morale damage from land combat.
- Rebels now reinforce at half speed, and also reduced depending on techgroup of the owner of the province they stand in.

Racsoviale
Jul 06, 2012, 05:50 AM
So I finally succumbed and bought Divine Wind and actually enjoy it quite a lot. The cascading alliances I feared would ruin the game, are actually not that bad and it does make wars a bit more interesting. the hordes mechanics don't seem to be too annoying and I sort of like the way they work, but it seems people really hate them(why is that?)
I was surprised the first time I tried buying another artist and saw I couldnt. At first I was a bit annoyed by it, but I actually like that you can only have one of each type. It forces you to adapt a bit more and prevents you from going on a massive annexation spree only to have 3 lvl 6 diplomats burning it all down in a few years.
Magistrates and buildings also make for some more considerations - do I go for lots of temples/workshops now or do I need better cultural tradition for a better advisor.

I have so far only played into the early 1400s as the Ottomans, Castille and Vijayanagar all nations safe from what I can only imagine is the nuclear bomb of cascading alliances - a war in the HRE.

The Hordes seem more powerful, especially the Timurids who are huge in both my Vijayanagar and Ottoman game.

In my Ottoman game I have started colonizing a bit of the Golden Horde Territory(working my way towards Kaffa, to stop that annoying mission from appearing anymore) and are paying tribute to the Timurids to keep them of my back.

But now I'm starting to be strong enough that I might be able to reclaim my cores from the Timmies, but don't have any casus belli against them. Is that because of the tribute? if so, how do I stop paying that? I can't really find anything about that mechanic so some help would be appreciated.

Also I can't wait to try out Japan and China.

To summarize I've been converted and now regret not buying it earlier and apologies to all who recommended this and who I doubted about this expansion:blush:

uat2d
Jul 06, 2012, 06:06 AM
Magistrates and buildings also make for some more considerations - do I go for lots of temples/workshops now or do I need better cultural tradition for a better advisor.

If you build Fine Arts Academies, you'll never have to worry about cultural tradition.

Also, hordes and Japan are awful. You'll soon realize that. :p

Owen Glyndwr
Jul 06, 2012, 07:37 AM
Get your workshops or trade stations down asap depending on what kind of country you're running. After that it's really what you want to do with your lands. Forts in provinces likely to get attacked, manpower buffs if you're going to be building lots of armies, etc.

Quintillus
Jul 06, 2012, 10:16 PM
Fine Arts Academies don't come for awhile, though. I admit to finding Patron of the Arts a useful idea early-game, so I can spend my magistrates elsewhere than cultural tradition.

I'm not sure why most people hate hordes - one of my least favorite aspects of them is that too often Bohemia, Poland, or Lithuania gets a lot of Golden Horde land. But, I like the dynamics of them. I probably wouldn't like trying to play as Georgia against them, but I liked the challenge of the Timurids when I played the Ottoman Greeks. In fact, it might end up being too much of a challenge if I ever resume that game. I don't know of a good way to declare war when you're paying tribute, though (i.e. without the stabhit). I think I've read that bankruptcy ends the tribute and thus leads to war, but that's probably not a superior alternative to a stabhit unless your inflation is already spiraling.

I've never seen the AI unify Japan. I'm sure it's possible, but in general Japan seems fairly isolationist... but I haven't played as a daimyo (or as Ming) yet.

west india man
Jul 07, 2012, 07:03 AM
Fine Arts Academies don't come for awhile, though. I admit to finding Patron of the Arts a useful idea early-game, so I can spend my magistrates elsewhere than cultural tradition.

It also occasionally gives you an event which lets you go +2 Innovative.

civ_king
Jul 07, 2012, 06:49 PM
It also occasionally gives you an event which lets you go +2 Innovative.
That's MTTH of 360 months (30 years) which is incredibly valuable for countries to westernise (allows you to front load into centralization

TheLastOne36
Jul 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/polskaGOLA/EU3_MAP_LGN_1494713_1.jpg
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/polskaGOLA/EU3_MAP_LGN_1494713_2.jpg
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss126/polskaGOLA/Legnica1494.png

Playing as Legnica looking to form Silesia, this is from the More Province Mod.

I designed the new Bohemia and Silesia for DanubianCossack myself, so I thought I would play it. :)

Arakhor
Jul 15, 2012, 10:55 AM
You're PolskaGOLA? :D

TheLastOne36
Jul 15, 2012, 11:12 AM
You're PolskaGOLA? :D

Yup, I always see you post in threads but forget to add you as a friend. I'll do that right now. :p

uat2d
Jul 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
The name England is in Ireland.

TheLastOne36
Jul 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
An update.

http://i.imgur.com/B8jYG.jpg

Duke of Britain
Jul 18, 2012, 02:47 PM
Gotta love how nations form thanks to the encouraged blobbing in MPM, even if a bit early...maybe they should make it harder to get conquest missions on non-culture group provinces

TheLastOne36
Jul 18, 2012, 02:59 PM
DC was going to do that change actually. Not sure if he actually did it.

The problem IMO is the infamy, infamy cost from conquest CB is significantly less than other CB's.

Anyway, I am helping DC with Poland and the areas between Poland and Russia now so that is something too look forward to in MPM 6.9.

Oda Nobunaga
Jul 19, 2012, 01:46 AM
9 July, 1460 Austria inherited the nation of Hungary
9 July, 1460 The Holy roman Empire has elected Friedrich V of Austria as emperor

...Gack.

I don't like it when my game suddenly start pretending it's EU2 :(

(I'm Burgundy)

Arakhor
Jul 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
Louis II didn't die until the 1520s, as I recall. You don't need to worry just yet. :)

Oda Nobunaga
Jul 19, 2012, 04:02 AM
He did it a little early in my game XDé

civ_king
Jul 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
...Gack.

I don't like it when my game suddenly start pretending it's EU2 :(

(I'm Burgundy)

I believe the phrase is "Bite the pillow I'm going in dry". :cringe:

Arakhor
Jul 19, 2012, 01:17 PM
I believe the phrase is "Bite the pillow I'm going in dry". :cringe:

Well, I've never heard that phrase before.

Antilogic
Jul 19, 2012, 01:23 PM
Is that from the Bourbon-Scotch-Beer AAR?

Oda Nobunaga
Jul 19, 2012, 02:23 PM
I've decided on a policy of "If you can't beat them, join them".

Besides which, Burgundy being allied with Bohemia and Austro-Hungary feels...oddly appropriate in the situation.

civ_king
Jul 19, 2012, 05:21 PM
Well, I've never heard that phrase before.
It's indubitably American
Is that from the Bourbon-Scotch-Beer AAR?
No, dry refers to lack of lube..
I've decided on a policy of "If you can't beat them, join them".

Besides which, Burgundy being allied with Bohemia and Austro-Hungary feels...oddly appropriate in the situation.

Sounds like a good plan.

Oda Nobunaga
Jul 25, 2012, 09:01 PM
After accidentally posting this over in the Magna Mundi thread...

For those curious, this is my contribution of the day to Europa Universalis knowledge.

INT(((Base tax/2) + Manpower Value)*Event Modifier) = Rebel size in regiments.
If Rebel size > (Max Manpower/1000), then rebel size = Max Manpower/1000 instead.

Where base tax is the base tax value obtained by hovering over your province.
Where Manpower value is the manpower = X value in the province's history file, visible in game as a percentage bonus to garrison reinforcement rate.
Where Event modifier is the value given in the code creating the rebel, eg "national_rebels = 2" in an event would be 2.
And where Max Manpower is your max manpower value. You know, what your pool would look like if it was full.

mechaerik
Aug 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
6th of August
- Starting fleets are no longer above force limits.
- Removed the 10x hit for being over forcelimits.
- Removed impact from production income on force limits.

3rd of August
- Crimea and Astrakhan are now part of the nomad_group tech group.
- Occupation no longer reduces force limits.
- Force limits rebalanced to take production income into account as well.
- There is now a base manpower for all countries.
- Manpower gain is never lower than 100 per month.
- Fixed a tooltip bug on weight in province.

bestbrian
Aug 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
6th of August
- Starting fleets are no longer above force limits.
- Removed the 10x hit for being over forcelimits.
- Removed impact from production income on force limits.

3rd of August
- Crimea and Astrakhan are now part of the nomad_group tech group.
- Occupation no longer reduces force limits.
- Force limits rebalanced to take production income into account as well.
- There is now a base manpower for all countries.
- Manpower gain is never lower than 100 per month.
- Fixed a tooltip bug on weight in province.

I'm guessing we've all migrated over to CKII if we're only hearing about the patch update two weeks later. :)

Oh, and btw, EU IV has been announced. :clap:

Bowsling
Aug 15, 2012, 04:10 PM
This patch is making me sick right now... we need new content, not little tweaks that very few people will notice! :sad:

uat2d
Aug 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
This patch is making me sick right now... we need new content, not little tweaks that very few people will notice! :sad:

Forget new content, they aren't even going to bother patching Japan now, it's full steam till EU4's release. And expect it to have a lot of bugs just like EU3. Hopefully they'll then tweak it and not get bogged down on adding new content.

civ_king
Aug 18, 2012, 12:42 PM
Forget new content, they aren't even going to bother patching Japan now, it's full steam till EU4's release. And expect it to have a lot of bugs just like EU3. Hopefully they'll then tweak it and not get bogged down on adding new content.

Well, if they can manage to make EU4 heavily multithreaded (4 threads most of the time) they can get away with a lot more stuff

TheLastOne36
Aug 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
An update on my game. The year is 1692 and my vassal Moldova has formed the Romanian Nation.

http://i.imgur.com/wambP.jpg

I'd add Bohemia to the commonwealth but they are in personal union with Muscovy and I don't like that. Now I have taken Bulgaria and Hungary though, I could try fighting Muscovy, but I'll wait and see if Austria-Hungary takes more provinces from them.

On Austria-Hungary and Hungary both existing, I've been pretending that the Austrian king claims the title of Hungary and all I've done is put a pretender on the throne. :)

Here is the diplo view:

http://i.imgur.com/jPJoo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mjnzi.jpg

MoreEpicThanYou
Aug 19, 2012, 12:54 PM
Is there a list of formable nations in the MPM?

Civ'ed
Aug 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
is that the Netherlands virtually controlling all of mexico?

TheLastOne36
Aug 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
Yah, Netherlands colonized all of Mexico. Portugal colonized the original 13 coloniez, whilst Britain colonized Canada but Portugal annexed Canada from Britain, and now it seems that England annexed the southern American colonies from Portugal. France arrived late on the colonizing scene and therefore focused on Africa. Sweden has created the Swedish East India Trading Company. :p

MPM doesn't change much in the colonization game yet. I'd like to change that myself at some point, but my focus right now is creating a new map for Asia.

Is there a list of formable nations in the MPM?

There is no list anywhere, but there are more formable nations here and there definitely. Any list would be meaningless though as formables in places like Germany are being reworked, so will the Commonwealth(I'd rather portray it as a government than as a tag, but I haven't gotten to doing that yet.). Any area or one in particular you are interested in?

Quintillus
Aug 19, 2012, 04:30 PM
On Austria-Hungary and Hungary both existing, I've been pretending that the Austrian king claims the title of Hungary and all I've done is put a pretender on the throne.

I also like that you have both the Two Sicilies and Sicily. Once one of them conquers the other, they ought to form the Three Sicilies!

Robert Can't
Aug 19, 2012, 04:40 PM
I also like that you have both the Two Sicilies and Sicily. Once one of them conquers the other, they ought to form the Three Sicilies!

Sicily, Two Sicilies, The Three Sicilies... Just wait soo It'll be the Serene and Glorious Kingdom of the One Thousand and Four Sicilies.

madviking
Aug 19, 2012, 05:59 PM
That's why it's more proper to refer to the Kingdom of Sicily as the Kingdom of Trinacria.

Dachs
Aug 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
That's why it's more proper to refer to the Kingdom of Sicily as the Kingdom of Trinacria.
How very Greek of you.

madviking
Aug 20, 2012, 08:08 PM
How very Greek of you.

I am in fact very Greek. :p

Farsight
Aug 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
My IN campaign as Delhi is doing pretty fine. I've already conquered Gondwana, Rajputana, and Bihar, while I currently have my eyes set on taking Orissa and Maharasthura:

http://i.imgur.com/4XGy4.jpg

Also, I'll be getting DW this evening. Can I play my campaign on it in addition to IN?

Civ'ed
Aug 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
My IN campaign as Delhi is doing pretty fine. I've already conquered Gondwana, Rajputana, and Bihar, while I currently have my eyes set on taking Orissa and Maharasthura:

http://i.imgur.com/4XGy4.jpg

Also, I'll be getting DW this evening. Can I play my campaign on it in addition to IN?

the dehli one?
Nope.

Quintillus
Sep 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
:bump: Does no one play this game anymore (aside from the multiplayer players) now that EU4 has been announced? Well, I at least still have a single-player game.

And it's as the Shawnee! It's now July 1, 1566.

Map:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=331481&stc=1&d=1348031062

So far, three Portuguese invasions have successfully been repelled. They landed in the New World in the late 1510s, attacking the Creek. I declined to help, due to a high probability of getting owned. But it was to no avail, as just as soon as they defeated the Creek, they DoWed my vassal, Cherokee. I got out of the war relatively easy, by un-vassaling the Cherokee.

Five years later, they invaded the Cherokee again. I declined to help in this war, too, as now I knew I would get owned. But it was to no avail, as just as soon as they defeated the Cherokee, they DoWed me. The good news was my new border with them allowed me to Westernize. The bad news was, they already were westernized, and they had 3-4 times as many troops, just in the New World. I also lacked forts, though I managed to build a couple mid-war. Guerilla warfare over six years convinced them that all they were accomplishing was losing thousands of Portuguese soldiers, in addition to their adventurous King, to attrition, and as such, their new regency eventually accepted a White Peace.

Twelve years later, they were back. This time, however, they forgot to have troops ready when the war started. So I conquered most of their New World land, and convinced Holland to bail before their guns reached me. With their allies gone, me winning a battle (with a severe numerical advantage), and a likelihood of more guerilla warfare, they accepted a concession of defeat.

Now, both sides have guns, and Land Tech 18. Portugal has about twice as many troops as before, but the Shawnee have significantly improved their manpower relative to earlier wars. Portugal's latest regency has ended, and a new and skilled Queen has taken the thrown. Shawnee expects another attack once Portugal's war weariness (thanks, Mutapa!) falls. Though in less dire straits than before, open field battles are still likely to fail, so survival is by no means guaranteed.

Compared to my last Native American game, which ended in annihilation by the Danes, I encountered the Old World much earlier. That might be good, as by the time I faced them last game, they were much more advanced, and even in the 1630's I didn't have Land Tech 18 - my army was easily vanquished. This time I've done worse at diplomacy, but better at technology and manpower, and it seems to be making a difference (knock on wood).

Noteworthy foreign happenings: French implosion due to excommunication wars, with Orleans and to a lesser extend Provence becoming the regional powers, Novgorod's impressive Russia start, and Taira vassalizing two of the other three Daimyos (I'm rooting for them actually uniting Japan - still haven't had an AI do that in one of my games).

MoreEpicThanYou
Sep 19, 2012, 05:28 AM
I think people still play it, it's just this thread that hasn't been very active since EU4 was announced.

Antilogic
Sep 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
I don't play EU3 any more (largely because I'm waiting for EU4). If I play any Paradox game, it's Victoria II. But I've been more distracted by Revolution Under Siege and Minecraft.

TheLastOne36
Sep 19, 2012, 06:15 PM
Someone on the forum playing a hands off always war game: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xa1w1shosjs2ndt#

bestbrian
Sep 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
CK 2 for me.

Civ'ed
Sep 20, 2012, 08:56 AM
Someone on the forum playing a hands off always war game: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?xa1w1shosjs2ndt#

wait, you can play handsoff? how?

MoreEpicThanYou
Sep 20, 2012, 01:37 PM
I've done it before, island nations like Malta or Ryukyu are pretty much invincible in Always War.

civ_king
Sep 20, 2012, 04:17 PM
wait, you can play handsoff? how?

IN D&T there is a country called Tahiti that is a OPM island horde so it's invincible, start up the game, have it go at maximum speed and come back after work.

SouthernKing
Sep 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
Been playing CK2. Replayability is far higher.

Quintillus
Sep 23, 2012, 12:46 AM
Twelve years ago, Tuscany graciously freed Corsica from the grip of Genoa. Corsica rejoiced, and soon after entered a royal marriage with the much larger Austrians.

Today, the Austrian king died, and now, Austria is in a personal union under Corsica. Austria is the third-most-powerful country in the HRE, after Bohemia and Brabant. Corsica controls only one province. My plans to ally with Austria? Hopeless.

Antilogic
Sep 23, 2012, 02:20 AM
Hahahahahaaaa!

Don't worry, it should be hard for a smaller partner to inherit a large country. So they will likely part ways after the king of Corsica dies.

salty mud
Sep 27, 2012, 03:22 PM
Seeing Corsica inherit Austria would be worthy of a Hall of Fame submission I think.

Quintillus
Sep 27, 2012, 10:46 PM
If it happens, I'll let you know. I'm guessing this hall of fame you are talking about is on one of the Paradox boards? I think I signed up for them at one point, but I don't think I've posted anything there.

I recently was playing Muscowy to compare strategies to my Novgorod game, and generally go with opposite sliders from what I usually do. I've also been fairly involved in foreign wars, paying a relatively low tribute to the Golden Horde for 30+ years, while they keep my neighbors weak and generally make up for how pitiful the Timurids have been this game. They recently occupied nearly all of Poland-Lithuania, clear through Poznan. A very scary, but ostensibly friendly, horde.

Then I learned that the AI Hordes will actually declare war on you on their own accord and break the tribute if they decide you aren't paying enough. :eek: It probably also is a factor that they are at peace with the whole world, and perhaps that my manpower is nearly depleted :(. It's looking like it might be quite the scramble, even with a Liberum Veto possibility, and especially with no serious Horde treaties expiring for 4.5 years. Hopefully Poland will go broke again!

Nintz
Sep 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
I re-discovered this game after installing it on my new laptop.

Right now, it is 1648. I am Navarra. That tiny little OPM in Basque country. And I own the overwhelming majority of South America. I also own the Caribbean. I have various islands throughout the world, and am working on Australia. My income is ridiculously high right now, easily 4x that of the next best in France, but my manpower is only 43k max. Compared to hundreds of thousands on the big powers. In this game, they are as follows. Bohemia, France, Great Britain, Muscowy, and Castille to some degree. Also, I managed to eliminate inflation in my nation.

Muscowy is 90% of the way to getting Russia (and has been for years), but Novgorod had a good early game and both countries took large amounts of Siberia and Asia. Novgorod is basically dead now, but not fully annexed.

Scandinavia formed really really early. The Swedish managed to core Oslo by 1500 or so, and formed Scandinavia then. Wars forced Denmark and Norway out of the nation, leaving is just Sweden again. They made some progress back into Norway, but Denmark is still independent.

Great Britain formed early as well. Early Scottish wars led to annexation instead of vassalage. They are really annoying as they keep colonizing everywhere. Also, they went Reformed. The only non-Catholic in this game really.

Bohemia and Austria both were fed Miracle-Gro or something, as they have gone crazy-big both, taking large parts of central to east Europe.

Vijayangar actually is doing quite well over in India. Pretty much the entire subcontinent is united. The only problem would be the French and British colonies that tend to pop up over there.

N. America is melting pot of colonies and natives. Austria and Castille split Creek. Holland, Modena, Flanders, Portugal, Hansa, and even Norway (vassal to France) have colonies there. Mostly Quebec region though. So, meh.

Africa pretty much followed suit.

Bowsling
Sep 28, 2012, 07:02 PM
The Middle East has to be one of the ugliest Middle Easts I've ever seen. :sad:

Nintz
Sep 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
Agreed.

MoreEpicThanYou
Sep 28, 2012, 08:51 PM
Who needs manpower? With an income like that, you can hire enough mercs to save you.

Nintz
Sep 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
The reason I am cautious about doing that is mainly that my experiences have been very poor with mercs. Whenever I use merc-only armies they tend to have non-existent morale and flee battles they could have won. Unless they outnumber the enemy by a lot. I could just be using them wrong though.

shadowplay
Oct 01, 2012, 02:15 PM
How is your EU3 Game going?

Not too good:

http://i.imgur.com/Zdixd.jpg

It won't let me click or unclick any of the selected improvements. I was constructing a University, but the next time I come back to the screen, this is what I see (pictured above). Everything is highlighted and I have that bizarre finish-by date. This is only happening in this one city (my capital) - every other city constructed it's improvements as expected and is able to constuct new improvements without any issue. It's like Barcelona's ability to construct improvements has just... frozen.

Anyone know why that would happen? I think it might be a bug.

Angst
Oct 02, 2012, 03:24 PM
it's a bug.

Scotland -> Great Britain, 1660:

All holdings (http://i.imgur.com/UtN9H.png)
http://i.imgur.com/UtN9H.png

My Empire (http://i.imgur.com/x410w.png)
http://i.imgur.com/x410w.png

This game was pretty much one long line of royal marriages, throne claims, personal unions and wars following that. Initially won the wars against England by securing a French-Scottish-Burgundian alliance and then invading them as violently as I could. Eventually managed to diminish their power until they were nothing but a few provinces that I removed. Burgundy soon broke off and was absorbed by France, who periodically left the alliance after crushing Castille and taking their northern provinces. Rather, I focused upon Spanish holdings, allying with Castille and claiming the thrones of them and Bavaria. Then due to stuff politics, I somehow got entwined in Central Europe after claiming the throne of Greater Bavaria; eventually to end up fighting Scandinavia (Who formed and became a superpower REALLY early), Bohemia and Austria who were all freaking huge. I managed to buy Bohemia out of the equation, conquered Skåne and Halland from Scandinavia to end their ridiculous trade policies and parted up Austria into lesser states. Then I formed an alliance and personal union with France and Scandinavia through sheer luck and good diplomacy, inherited Castille and Greater Bavaria, then France about this time. Bohemia is allied with me, actually, so right now I have no important enemies whatsoever, and I plan to absorb as much of Europe as possible; the game was really tense, right now it's actually just attempting to train some military after "forming Western Europe" or something. It's funny because I initially just planned to secure Great Britain and not colonize but what do you know.

Oh, Prussia might become a problem eventually. Look, an eastern european country with pretty borders? Do you believe in magic?

Also, while seeming so, I'm not very good. The difficulty is Easy.

Arakhor
Oct 02, 2012, 03:43 PM
You really need to work on those borders, boyo. :)

Good work though - I'm not very good either, but once you know what you're doing, Normal is generally easy enough.

Angst
Oct 02, 2012, 03:45 PM
Holydip, just noticed I got like 100 infamy for inheriting France. Well, hello 100 years of civil war... Threw up a couple of Asian vassals to get the ball rolling, but comon... Infamy for inheritance? How do people then do world conquests?

Yes, I know that GB infamy AAR on Paradox Forums. I want other ways.

Osmowstroyer
Oct 02, 2012, 03:53 PM
The last month I got EUIII Chronicles, and I am now playing with Portugal, int the. I have all the Morocco and Algier territory with the exception of three(?) provinces. The colonization of Rio de Oro and Tuat is going bad because I had to kill those annoying natives, nut Rio de Oro now is a full province. Appart from the colonization, everything is going fine, but , WHY THE HELL IN EVERY #@$%& GAME I PLAY MY INFLATION IS ALWAYS GETTING UP! The inflations is now 10.1, can someone give me a strategy how to avoid inflation?

Angst
Oct 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
There's the national idea "National Bank" which decreases inflation, you can hire a Master of Mint advisor and generally invest your monthly income into stability / technology rather than your coffeers - the latter, called minting, increases inflation, and on the lower difficulties, decreasing minting actually decreases inflation. On higher levels you need the national idea and the Master. Take a look at your economy menu for more information on how your inflation rises.

What year are you in? 10.1 is managable, but it depends on what year you're playing.

Antilogic
Oct 02, 2012, 04:33 PM
Master of the Mint is probably one of the most powerful advisers, at least in the early stage of the game.

Angst
Oct 02, 2012, 04:47 PM
early game i find statesmen more useful, midgame master of mint, lategame diplomat

Arakhor
Oct 02, 2012, 05:23 PM
You don't gain infamy for merely inheriting realms, but you do for integrating them. Patience, grasshopper, patience. :)

Angst
Oct 02, 2012, 05:35 PM
wait, did i integrate!? i'm a ing idiot. reload!

uat2d
Oct 02, 2012, 06:31 PM
Colonizing Canada and not the Caribbean or Brazil first is also quite inefficient, the later provide much higher income and overall much more worthwhile areas to settle in. It's quite worthless to go after all that snow and sand when you have great lands empty.

Quintillus
Oct 02, 2012, 06:31 PM
I found this war rather amusing. Beware those mythical Timurid boats!

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=332598&stc=1&d=1349224009

This is in the year 1513. Cyprus joined a couple wars against the Mamluks, and took three provinces way back when - far enough back that they'd cored. I was hoping to see the Cypriot East Indies, but instead, the Mamluks got a ruler in 1467 or so who lived for over half a century. This turned the wars back in their favour, and they went rampaging back westwards - as far as Al Karak, Cyprus's easternmost province. Cyprus did have Land Tech 15 versus their 5, and managed to occupy a Timurid province for awhile, but alas, numbers defeated quality, and Cyprus's territories were overrun, first by Timurids, then by rebels.

But the island itself survived, leading to many a year of telling the tales of the Timurid-Cypriot War!

Holydip, just noticed I got like 100 infamy for inheriting France. Well, hello 100 years of civil war... Threw up a couple of Asian vassals to get the ball rolling, but comon... Infamy for inheritance? How do people then do world conquests?

Yes, I know that GB infamy AAR on Paradox Forums. I want other ways.

:lol: Well, 100 isn't so bad, I had about 300 one time. You'll have 20% inflation and lose all your trade income and fall behind technologically, and Bohemia will break your alliance and probably fight you, but it'll give you a challenge! And if you go Despotic Monarchy and have a high infamy-burning strategy, it'll only last 50 years or so. Not so bad!

uat2d
Oct 02, 2012, 06:42 PM
:lol: Well, 100 isn't so bad, I had about 300 one time. You'll have 20% inflation and lose all your trade income and fall behind technologically, and Bohemia will break your alliance and probably fight you, but it'll give you a challenge! And if you go Despotic Monarchy and have a high infamy-burning strategy, it'll only last 50 years or so. Not so bad!

How did you manage? Didn't you get spammed every damn day with massive revolts in random provinces?

Angst
Oct 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
Colonizing Canada and not the Caribbean or Brazil first is also quite inefficient, the later provide much higher income and overall much more worthwhile areas to settle in. It's quite worthless to go after all that snow and sand when you have great lands empty.

I had issues of naval tech and core distance to south america and didn't realize i should opportunize; didn't notice i had eventually. i just like nice clean borders and didn't want anyone to screw with my unified coast :blush:

the caribian holdings etc are from france

Osmowstroyer
Oct 02, 2012, 07:40 PM
Well, I have National Bank and Mint Master (reduces 0.12), in total would be 0.22, that's quite a lot, but, it doesn't serve me. I am in the year 1423, so I must start a new game. Too bad.

Angst
Oct 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
Can't you get through the game with 10% inflation? With the best outlook, you can get it back to 0 in fifty years and it's ok to just have a little bit.

Or am I just bad at this game?

taillesskangaru
Oct 02, 2012, 09:04 PM
10% inflation is quite managable, depending on who or how you're playing. Try not to go above that though.

chegel
Oct 03, 2012, 04:54 AM
The last month I got EUIII Chronicles, and I am now playing with Portugal, int the. I have all the Morocco and Algier territory with the exception of three(?) provinces. The colonization of Rio de Oro and Tuat is going bad because I had to kill those annoying natives, nut Rio de Oro now is a full province. Appart from the colonization, everything is going fine, but , WHY THE HELL IN EVERY #@$%& GAME I PLAY MY INFLATION IS ALWAYS GETTING UP! The inflations is now 10.1, can someone give me a strategy how to avoid inflation?

Well, I have National Bank and Mint Master (reduces 0.12), in total would be 0.22, that's quite a lot, but, it doesn't serve me. I am in the year 1423, so I must start a new game. Too bad.

Well, to answer your most important question: Minting causes inflation, i.e. making monthly income into ducats. Ideally you should rely exclusively on the yearly tax income for funds and use the monthly income for technology and stability investments.

This can be quite hard when colonising which is very expensive and some inflation in the early game can be necessary but 10% in 1423 is far too much. Mouse over the minting slider to see how much inflation increases or decreases per year.

Inflation can be caused by gold mines too, but this is only a problem for non-western nations, and by events. It can be reduced via centralisation, masters of mint, the national bank and some special building later in the game I think.

Racsoviale
Oct 03, 2012, 06:28 AM
Some nations are also somewhat dependant on minting in the first few decades for various reasons. Which makes their inflation rise.
I usually mint quite a bit in my Muscowy games to be able to afford my very busy and huge armies. this is mainly because of my wars with Poland-Lithuania and the Golden Horde.
Denmark is another nation I mint quite a bit with in the beginning because I need that army to be bigger than the swedish army and my navy needs to grow at a steady pace as well, because I can't afford to lose control of the strait.
Lastly when I play as Portugal I also mint a bit heavy, this is to afford my colonies. As well as my army and infrastructure. I my experience a colony is not finished being a money sink when it becomes a city, it needs that lvl 1 fort asap which is another 50 ducats.

In all three cases I would not see 10% inflation as a severe problem, as long as measures are taken to reduce the amount of minting you do. All of three scenarios are sacrificing shortterm gain for a stronger longterm outcome, which would be harder to achieve without the influx of ducats.

I also mint to be able to pay of a loan as soon as possible.

Osmowstroyer
Oct 03, 2012, 02:40 PM
Well, to answer your most important question: Minting causes inflation, i.e. making monthly income into ducats. Ideally you should rely exclusively on the yearly tax income for funds and use the monthly income for technology and stability investments.

This can be quite hard when colonising which is very expensive and some inflation in the early game can be necessary but 10% in 1423 is far too much. Mouse over the minting slider to see how much inflation increases or decreases per year.

Inflation can be caused by gold mines too, but this is only a problem for non-western nations, and by events. It can be reduced via centralisation, masters of mint, the national bank and some special building later in the game I think.

Well, I know that minting rise inflation, but, because of my stupid strategy, the census taxes were low and such. Now I am playing as castille and I am going quite good.

Antilogic
Oct 03, 2012, 03:58 PM
early game i find statesmen more useful, midgame master of mint, lategame diplomat

If I can, I take a statesman and a master of the mint with my first two adviser slots. The third is a flex, depends on what I can get. The +tech guys are a pretty good deal for most of the game unless you have a massive economy.

civ_king
Oct 03, 2012, 05:04 PM
If I can, I take a statesman and a master of the mint with my first two adviser slots. The third is a flex, depends on what I can get. The +tech guys are a pretty good deal for most of the game unless you have a massive economy.

Ah, I normally go with Artist, Mom and Philosopher

chegel
Oct 03, 2012, 05:33 PM
Philosophers are the most important for me for the whole game. In the very beginning I like those +tech advisors for government, production and sometimes trade. Masters of mint are for the early midgame after having some economy to speak of or for countries with free trade right from the start. Artists are good for some planned stability hits (change of government, religion, westernization etc.) and they are essential when taking the Patrons of the Arts national idea. Those guys that give military tradition are always great too.

Nintz
Oct 03, 2012, 05:42 PM
I keep a Mint employed 24/7. Even if he has to be lvl. 2 :p. I find them just too useful.

Other than that, I usually take a trade advisor early game to hit QFTNW before other nations, and maybe a statesman, though not usually. I tend to replace them with various other advisers based on my plans. A navigator, for example.

Artists, Philosophers, and Grand Marshalls I use as needed. Which is to say, not very often. My stability is almost never a problem (unless I am changing government or something) and prestige tends to at least stay neutral if I can secure a fur trading bonus. Legitimacy I've had problems with on occasion, such as when Holland or Sweden is forced to end their PU and have a nobody take the throne.

I actually am having quite a bit of success with aldermen recently. A passive bonus of +5% to production was huge when my economy was overwhelmingly production based.

Quintillus
Oct 03, 2012, 06:51 PM
How did you manage? Didn't you get spammed every damn day with massive revolts in random provinces?

I turned off alerts about rebels and battles, and automated my armies for rebel hunting. I also had a gigantic army at full maintenance fighting them - IIRC it was between 500,000 and 600,000. In sufficiently large stacks, they almost never were vanquished, and it was late enough in the game that supply limits were high.

However, it was rather boring. My stability was at -3 all the time. At first that was because of very frequent stability hits due to uber-infamy, but it stayed there because it cost about a gazillion ducats (actually more like 78,000?) to gain a stability point, because of a gigantic increase to costs because of infamy. So, obviously, I didn't try to invest in stability. When there were wars, I'd just take a hundred thousand troops or so for foreign wars, and leave the rest bashing rebels. But a lot of the time there weren't wars, as after being beaten thoroughly a few times, my neighbors stopped declaring war.

My tech level did fall from top-notch to middling-among-Latins because of this, though. Not so much because of inflation at 20%, but because my economy tanked without trade income and with considerably lower tax revenue.

Well, not necessarily. The trajectory is quite bad - you are on pace for 176% inflation by the end of the game, which would be quite impressive. However, you aren't in dangerous territory yet - you just can't keep having it rise at that rate for too many more decades. 10% wouldn't concern me, and after all, you've probably gained some benefits from that. I've played with 20% for an extended time before, and it isn't that noticeable (harder to lead in tech, but you won't be left in the dust). The issue is the rate isn't sustainable - you'd have almost 42% in 1500, which would be having a major economic/technological impact (and at that point, also make it considerably harder to keep it in check).

Also, although I haven't played as Portugal or Castille, I'm pretty sure Castille starts off in a much stronger position. Your economic stewardship may be better, too, but it'll probably look quite a bit better regardless as Castille.

Angst
Oct 03, 2012, 08:06 PM
<artists> are essential when taking the Patrons of the Arts national idea. Those guys that give military tradition are always great too.

Why?

also in my current scotland game i have 30% inflation, partly due to poor planning, but still, i'm beating up the world

Racsoviale
Oct 04, 2012, 12:02 AM
Yeah high inflation doesn't really matter if you are beating up the entire world anyways.

chegel
Oct 04, 2012, 01:57 AM
Why?

also in my current scotland game i have 30% inflation, partly due to poor planning, but still, i'm beating up the world

Without an artist the event "Prospering Times" won't trigger. This is the one where you have to choose between getting a university or fine arts academy for 500 ducats or 200 ducats cash.

Nintz
Oct 04, 2012, 09:31 AM
That's useful, but I for one don't think it is mandatory by any means. A strong economy based off trade and production can get 500 pretty quickly. For example, the Navarra game I posted last page, I could get that in one month of minting. Thus, for that game, the artist doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

chegel
Oct 04, 2012, 11:45 AM
Well, but this very event is the main reason to take this idea in the first place; at least in my opinion.

I made a game as Navarra myself some time ago, if you would like to see the end result: Here you go. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10446416&postcount=1423)

Nintz
Oct 04, 2012, 12:11 PM
Which idea are you referring to exactly?

chegel
Oct 04, 2012, 12:18 PM
Which idea are you referring to exactly?

Patron of the Arts.

This here is the event:

# Prospering times
country_event = {

id = 1075

trigger = {
num_of_cities = 25
idea = patron_of_art
advisor = artist
treasury = 500
stability = 1
}

mean_time_to_happen = {
months = 240

modifier = {
factor = 0.9
NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = -2 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = -3 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
NOT = { innovative_narrowminded = -4 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
advisor = philosopher
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
artist = 6
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
artist = 5
}
modifier = {
factor = 1.1
NOT = { artist = 3 }
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
stability = 2
}
modifier = {
factor = 0.9
stability = 3
}
}

title = "EVTNAME1075"
desc = "EVTDESC1075"

option = {
name = "EVTOPTA1075" # Invest in a university
ai_chance = { factor = 50 }
treasury = -500
random_owned = {
limit = {
NOT = { has_building = fine_arts_academy }
NOT = { has_building = university }
NOT = { has_building = refinery }
NOT = { has_building = wharf }
NOT = { has_building = weapons }
NOT = { has_building = textile }
is_colony = no
}
add_building = university
}
}
option = {
name = "EVTOPTB1075" # Invest in a fine arts academy
ai_chance = { factor = 30 }
treasury = -500
random_owned = {
limit = {
NOT = { has_building = fine_arts_academy }
NOT = { has_building = university }
NOT = { has_building = refinery }
NOT = { has_building = wharf }
NOT = { has_building = weapons }
NOT = { has_building = textile }
is_colony = no
}
add_building = fine_arts_academy
}
}
option = {
name = "EVTOPTC1075" # Investments are not an option at this stage.
ai_chance = { factor = 20 }
treasury = 200
}
}

Osmowstroyer
Oct 04, 2012, 07:21 PM
Do you play Divine Wind, or just the vanilla one?

duralict
Oct 04, 2012, 09:22 PM
I'm having a big problem where I can't seem to get casus belli to show up. At the moment I have two against Granada - the Reconquista, and they also sent me an insult, which is showing up as a little notification at the top of the screen. Only problem is, when I go to declare war, the casus belli selection list doesn't appear, and neither do the options about calling in allies. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/o5p6d.png

What am I doing wrong? :(

NBAfan
Oct 04, 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm having a big problem where I can't seem to get casus belli to show up. At the moment I have two against Granada - the Reconquista, and they also sent me an insult, which is showing up as a little notification at the top of the screen. Only problem is, when I go to declare war, the casus belli selection list doesn't appear, and neither do the options about calling in allies. Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/o5p6d.png

What am I doing wrong?
You're only playing "Complete", which really isn't complete. You need to get the HTTT expansion to get the CBs.

duralict
Oct 04, 2012, 10:59 PM
You're only playing "Complete", which really isn't complete. You need to get the HTTT expansion to get the CBs.

Well, the game isn't really playable without the CBs available because everything's weighted assuming I can make use of them (and they're still showing up, and other factions are using them). Does that mean that the game's completely broken without buying the expansions (which, incidentally, aren't available for Mac), or is there a workaround?

Racsoviale
Oct 04, 2012, 11:54 PM
try to reload the game. sometimes stuff gets stuck. it can help to exit game and enter it again..

chegel
Oct 05, 2012, 02:17 AM
But you are declaring with a casus belli else there would be another -2. Before the system was improved you either had some casus belli against a nation and could declare war without stability penalty, besides those for royal marriages, breaking a truce etc. of course, or you did not and would lose some stability. You could not decide which casus belli you would use and I think it did not even matter.

I think allies would decide to join you or not without you having to ask them.

Better get HttT and DW, those improve the game extremely.

NedimNapoleon
Oct 05, 2012, 02:21 AM
MEIOU keeps crashing on exactly the 5th of January 1451 (in my Bosnia campaign). If I manage to save on that day before it crashes, I reload, and the game crahses 1-2 days later (6-7th) and I can continue this process forever.

civ_king
Oct 05, 2012, 07:13 AM
Well, the game isn't really playable without the CBs available because everything's weighted assuming I can make use of them (and they're still showing up, and other factions are using them). Does that mean that the game's completely broken without buying the expansions (which, incidentally, aren't available for Mac), or is there a workaround?

They are, just not on Steam.

NBAfan
Oct 05, 2012, 08:03 AM
Well, the game isn't really playable without the CBs available because everything's weighted assuming I can make use of them (and they're still showing up, and other factions are using them). Does that mean that the game's completely broken without buying the expansions (which, incidentally, aren't available for Mac), or is there a workaround?You have a CB, Paradox just didn't make specific ones yet with the version of the game you have. You can buy EU3 Chronicles to get the last two expansions they made.

duralict
Oct 05, 2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. Looks like I'll just have to wait for my motherboard to come back in the mail before I can play this for real on my PC... I'm not going to go buy the expansions a second time just because Paradox mislabeled Complete as being for Mac.

In the meantime I guess I'll just have to puzzle through the invisible CBs.

Quintillus
Oct 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
So I have a question about Claiming Thrones, as something unexpected happened in my Hohenzollern game.

I started out with the first Hohenzollern ruler, a 4/4/4 king who led my country pretty well. My heir had a weak claim, but was amazingly skilled, at 9/9/6. At some point along the line, Burgundy claimed my throne. No worries, I thought - I have an heir, even if he is underage. I continued about, fighting a war with Bavaria in which I vassalized Saxony. Cool beans.

Shortly after that war, my king kicked the bucket. But instead of a regency, Phillipe II de Bourgogne started leading my country in a personal union, and I was suddenly subject to them, in their wars, etc. Saxony was still subject to me, so I guess they were double-subject. My people hated Burgundy for this.

But when Phillipe went six feet under, instead of my Hohenzollern heir rising to the throne (even though he was still listed as the heir on the dynasty tab), an Ansbachian noble rose to the throne. He wasn't exactly a bad ruler, but my hopes of a Hohenzollern Emperor were sadly dashed (and I already had one vote!).

So, what happened? I thought I was safe as long as I had an heir, but apparently, I wasn't.

civ_king
Oct 13, 2012, 09:58 PM
So I have a question about Claiming Thrones, as something unexpected happened in my Hohenzollern game.

I started out with the first Hohenzollern ruler, a 4/4/4 king who led my country pretty well. My heir had a weak claim, but was amazingly skilled, at 9/9/6. At some point along the line, Burgundy claimed my throne. No worries, I thought - I have an heir, even if he is underage. I continued about, fighting a war with Bavaria in which I vassalized Saxony. Cool beans.

Shortly after that war, my king kicked the bucket. But instead of a regency, Phillipe II de Bourgogne started leading my country in a personal union, and I was suddenly subject to them, in their wars, etc. Saxony was still subject to me, so I guess they were double-subject. My people hated Burgundy for this.

But when Phillipe went six feet under, instead of my Hohenzollern heir rising to the throne (even though he was still listed as the heir on the dynasty tab), an Ansbachian noble rose to the throne. He wasn't exactly a bad ruler, but my hopes of a Hohenzollern Emperor were sadly dashed (and I already had one vote!).

So, what happened? I thought I was safe as long as I had an heir, but apparently, I wasn't.

If you claim a throne that has an heir you get it upon succession... frustrating I know.

Nintz
Oct 14, 2012, 06:31 PM
Only when the heir is weak.

If a strong (or even medium) heir is born between the claim and the old monarch's death, the claim is nullified. Moral of story: If good heir has weak claim, don't do marriages.

Quintillus
Oct 21, 2012, 12:56 AM
Only when the heir is weak.

If a strong (or even medium) heir is born between the claim and the old monarch's death, the claim is nullified. Moral of story: If good heir has weak claim, don't do marriages.

That was it! I thought sure I would have noticed this before if it were as simple as what civ_king said, but upon looking at the old save again, sure enough, my heir's claim was weak. Well, lesson learned.

Caprine Synesth
Oct 21, 2012, 03:08 PM
Currently playing my first successful game as England, now the United Kingdom. I lost all my holdings in mainland Europe so am instead concentrating on America. So far I have only been able to colonise the two nearest places on Greenland.. how do I expand the area I can colonise?

Nintz
Oct 21, 2012, 03:12 PM
Wait 50 years to get cores on Greenland. That will expand your colonial range tremendously.

Increase naval tech level to gradually increase range.

Or, hire a skilled navigator adviser. A temporary boost early on can really help claim some tasty Caribbean colonies.

P.S. Try to focus on Brazil or the Caribbean first. Those colonies are worth massively more than most of N. America, or Argentina at the bottom. Africa is very poor as well.

west india man
Oct 21, 2012, 03:17 PM
Mutapan lands are full of gold.

Caprine Synesth
Oct 21, 2012, 03:17 PM
Wait 50 years to get cores on Greenland. That will expand your colonial range tremendously.

Increase naval tech level to gradually increase range.

Or, hire a skilled navigator adviser. A temporary boost early on can really help claim some tasty Caribbean colonies.

P.S. Try to focus on Brazil or the Caribbean first. Those colonies are worth massively more than most of N. America, or Argentina at the bottom. Africa is very poor as well.

Thank you, I will try this and report back :) Once you have a core, I assume your range spins out from there in all directions?

Nintz
Oct 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
@ WIM-

Yes, but those colonies are east coast of Africa, and generally much more difficult to get to than the standard West African or Kongolese ones. They are good if prepping for a spice islands run though.

@ Caprine Sysneth-

Yep. Greenland should give you access to most all of the Eastern Seaboard, and maybe the Caribbean as well. As England though, that's not too far as far as colonies go.

Also, make sure to explore Brazil region. Some of the colonies there are much closer than other New World ones for most nations, and can be colonized earlier. Namely provinces like Itamarca, Ceara, Pernambuco, etc.

Osmowstroyer
Oct 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
You all-mighty EUIII (preferable divine wind) have an strategy for Burgundy aiming to unificate the HRE? I find it really difficult, specially with the so-annoying reformation. Also, do someone know the exactly bonus of "Rome Reborn" (it appears after Renovatio Imperii)?

civ_king
Oct 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
You all-mighty EUIII (preferable divine wind) have an strategy for Burgundy aiming to unificate the HRE? I find it really difficult, specially with the so-annoying reformation. Also, do someone know the exactly bonus of "Rome Reborn" (it appears after Renovatio Imperii)?

It annexes the HRE states.

uat2d
Oct 24, 2012, 06:07 PM

Personal unions are great because you'll get cores on all HRE land and also on France because you're in the same culture group. Claiming thrones, fabricating claims and making your junior partners love you will ensure that you inherit great lands and they'll all be cored. With regards to minors, you can always vassalize them, they'll be incorporated when you unify the HRE.

If the reformation hits, convert everyone back to Catholicism and you'll get extra imperial authority. Or you can convert to an heresy yourself and cheese your way into converting everyone into that heresy and form yourself the HRE with the new faith will all the imperial authority you'll win.

Osmowstroyer
Oct 24, 2012, 06:49 PM
Personal unions are great because you'll get cores on all HRE land and also on France because you're in the same culture group. Claiming thrones, fabricating claims and making your junior partners love you will ensure that you inherit great lands and they'll all be cored. With regards to minors, you can always vassalize them, they'll be incorporated when you unify the HRE.

If the reformation hits, convert everyone back to Catholicism and you'll get extra imperial authority. Or you can convert to an heresy yourself and cheese your way into converting everyone into that heresy and form yourself the HRE with the new faith will all the imperial authority you'll win.

So that means that I will not always get cores on all imperial provinces that belongs to HRE members? Too bad.

civ_king
Oct 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
So that means that I will not always get cores on all imperial provinces that belongs to HRE members? Too bad.

You do always get cores if you inherit instead of integrate. He is saying since you are a French culture if you inherit France you get cores.

Antilogic
Oct 24, 2012, 07:03 PM
Started a D&T game as Castille, since I haven't played in awhile. In the first 20 years, I was able to take all of Granada, except Portugal grabbed Cadiz which had my core. I got the mission to form a personal union with Aragon, which I took advantage of, then I swept back to attack Portugal, taking Cadiz plus the two northern-most provinces for good measure. Now in consolidation mode, managed to pick up a PU with Meissen too at some point. Heir died, now I have the remarkably incompetent administrator King Juan (3-6-5) running my kingdom. The young Prince Alfonso (6-4-8) is now my heir apparent.

uat2d
Oct 25, 2012, 04:49 AM
Started a D&T game as Castille, since I haven't played in awhile. In the first 20 years, I was able to take all of Granada, except Portugal grabbed Cadiz which had my core. I got the mission to form a personal union with Aragon, which I took advantage of, then I swept back to attack Portugal, taking Cadiz plus the two northern-most provinces for good measure. Now in consolidation mode, managed to pick up a PU with Meissen too at some point. Heir died, now I have the remarkably incompetent administrator King Juan (3-6-5) running my kingdom. The young Prince Alfonso (6-4-8) is now my heir apparent.

If you instead of taking Porto and Bragança tried to get a PU, you'd do better on the long run as it would cost less infamy (0 instead of 8) and you'd get everything Portugal has when you inherit and also cores on all their cored Portuguese culture provinces.

It might be more difficult to fabricate claims or to wait till you can claim their throne, but the benefits on the long run would be greater.

Antilogic
Oct 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Portugal is actually in a PU under England, so that approach was not viable. I am currently sitting with no infamy right now because I don't want to play a just-another-blob game.

uat2d
Oct 25, 2012, 12:40 PM
Portugal is actually in a PU under England, so that approach was not viable. I am currently sitting with no infamy right now because I don't want to play a just-another-blob game.

You're Spain, how about trying to become Emperor?

Now that's a challenge and it wouldn't be a just-another-blog game :p