View Full Version : CTP is the best civ game I have ever played.

J-S
Oct 09, 2002, 08:24 AM
I'm sick of hearing people tearing down CTP without arguments. True, it was released buggy and maybe it still needed some playtesting to balance gamplay completetly: but it still blew me away. IMO, not even Civ3 compares to Civilization: Call to Power. It is definitely the best civ game I have ever played. Sid started the genre with Civ1, true. But CTP was one of those games that takes the genre and pushes it to the next level, raises it's own standards. I can't beleive how after a game like that anyone would release a civ game without space cities! Ilogical (yes, Activision included). I cannot say the same for CTP2 tho. To me, the secuel was kind of a dissapointement.
Anyway, the idea is that everyone post as short as possible good and bad things about CTP in comparison to other civ games like so:

:goodjob:
- PUBLIC WORKS!!!
- Wages, food rations and work hours tab.
- Space cities.
- Future technologies.
- Those 0 movement tubes.
- Excelent wonders.
- Multiple units combat sistem.
- Army creation sistem.
- Many goverment types.

:(
- A decent AI that just won't gtf out of your territory.
- Interface is 4/10 IMO.
- Units automatically loading into transports.
- Primitive diplomacy.
- No resources required for units/improvements (like Civ3).
- Lack of an official editor (like Civ3).
- Lack of unique units (like Civ3).

diamud
Dec 17, 2002, 03:39 PM
I think it is a blast. It has several features that greatly improve gameplay over Civ I & II, great wonders, and even the AI seems to be pretty good. The version I have was pre-patched, so I didn't have to do anything to enjoy this great (and at 5.00 bucks, very cheap) game.

Crimson Sunrise
Dec 18, 2002, 01:07 AM
Public works is a lifesaver. I don't know how I managed to play Alpha Centauri, Civilization II, Test of Time, etc. without it.

phoenixcager
Jan 01, 2003, 08:32 AM
I agree completely with your comments, JS. I'd add that it has a decent Play-by-email (PBEM) function that has seen the CTP community's continued vibrancy in the face of CTP2 and Civ3.

Maquiladora
Jan 06, 2003, 07:38 AM
Good,

-Trade System. Definate plus for CtP1, maybe its a little overpowering to the whole game, but the best way ive seen trade handled in a civ game.
-Combat system was new to civ at this point (see bad)
-Stealth units, some were crap but slavers etc good.

Bad,

-Some unbalanced units.
-Lets face it, the AI is pish for any decent player. (unmodded)
-Combat system. I think it was underdeveloped at this point, only really was completed in CtP2.

Personally i prefer CtP2, Multiplayer or modded, its just easier and quicker to play and draws me in more. Buildings are also less important in CtP2, units and balanced armies are more important. It also has Flanking units and 12 stack armies instead of 9 in CtP1. Science is driven by commerce instead of gold, which made gold overpowering in CtP1, but i still wish they kept the CtP1 trade system to earn gold.

bvd
Feb 01, 2003, 05:07 PM
J-S: get help ;)

That game is so tedious (my opinion for whatever it's worth). I didn't like Civ III for the same reason. I'm not prepared for the new generation of strategy games I guess.

Hookah
Feb 04, 2003, 11:32 AM
CTP 2 > Civ III

ita that simple

Crimson Sunrise
Feb 04, 2003, 11:07 PM
Civ3 doesn't even install on my computer. CTP wins by default.

ellie
Feb 06, 2003, 06:19 AM
Alpha centauri is the best ive played out of them so far.
I liked ctp butthe ai being poor, overpowered non combat units and diplomacy spoilt it a bit for me

Ellie

ellie
Feb 06, 2003, 06:19 AM
Alpha centauri is the best ive played out of them so far.
I liked ctp butthe ai being poor, overpowered non combat units and diplomacy spoilt it a bit for me

Ellie

Titi
Feb 07, 2003, 01:55 PM
I only played a few games each of CTP and SMAC.
First, because even though there were many great ideas (public works, work hours and salaries, space and subsea cities for CTP, prototypes, differences between factions), I found them too easy.
Then and mostly because when I changed my computer, I had a new OS and both CTP and SMAC don't run under Win 2K or XP...

mardukes
Feb 11, 2003, 07:01 PM
I thought CTP was very groovy but I couldn't handle all the crashing and bugs. Maybe my equipment was too old. I noted on another thread that it corrupted my operating system once. And has anyone seen this, when a stack combining airforce and ground units attacks a city the interface doesn't resolve leaving the unit images outside the city though the application thinks they are inside it?

Aias
Mar 07, 2003, 02:34 PM
I love Civ III, but I'd take CTPII (with a good mod) anyday. In it's unmodded state, it's unplayable.

CTPI did have one of the most impressive AI moves I've ever seen: the AI civ launched an attack on me simultaneously on three different cities! I was amazed!

dwedington
Apr 18, 2003, 03:35 PM
CTP was a great game (is still), but the crashes were too much. Civ III seems to be even more addictive for the simple fact that every game can be modified so much. The Game play is superior and the diplomacy is vastly improved. All in all I would have to give the nod to CivIII. But I still love CTP!

Immortal Wombat
Apr 23, 2003, 08:13 AM
Civ III seems to be even more addictive for the simple fact that every game can be modified so much.
And yet it still pales in comparison to CtP2's moddablity.

Locutus
Apr 23, 2003, 08:43 AM
Civ III seems to be even more addictive for the simple fact that every game can be modified so much.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I missed this line. I think of many reasons (well, not many, but a few) why Civ3 might be better than CtP (which it isn't, of course :)), but someone actually thinks Civ3 beats CtP when it comes to modding??? :rotfl:

Best joke I heard all year :D

Bart2k4
Jan 17, 2004, 07:42 PM
I can't choose a fav. game from SMAC(w/ expan.), CivIII, GalcCIV and CTP. Basically I like a certain something from all four titles.

CTP - Sea/Space, Technocracy, non-combate unites
This was simple amazing, and the "Star Ladder", absolutle love the concept.... (which exists in reality too). It definetly *forced* me to redefine my strategys and let me experience some membrable moments(such as building a space ring around the earth, having fascism as gov......if you read Robert A. Heinlens: Starship Troopers[Or watched th film] you'll know what im talking about). And the unites that do special stuff like slavers, clerics, eco-terr are really cool. You can become a nation of capalist scumbags that leech of other weaker nations (kinda like real life), LOL

SMAC(w/ expan) - Atrocities/Government :king:
Nerve stapling, nukes :nuke: making craters, and biological attacks, defiently great stuff...and the goverment model, ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT. W/ this style, I can *create* my own political system such as technocracy, dictatorship, and democracy(Social Demo. too!!). The best feature, unquestionable in my opinion.

Galactic Civ - Voting
If the people like you, they vote you in, if they don't you lose the election and lose significant political power(plus its cool represting a party). This should be in Civ4 if you pick Democracy/Republic....make it harder (make you work harder to get the financial benifets that *those* kind of goverments bring).

CivIII
I like the gameplay model, such as the sheilds for production, decent graphics....

Civ4 would be my fav. game if it had all the above points in it, along with some realism suprises to it..
:king:

The Person
Feb 10, 2004, 05:47 AM
I'm not so much into CTP. It's maybe a bit underrated, but I think playing Civ with the mouse just isn't Civ. Civ shall use the keyboard, not the mouse! I just don't get the "Civ" feel with a mouse.

Maquiladora
Feb 10, 2004, 11:25 AM
Whats that got to do with anything? You can play CtP1/2 almost entirely on KB.

Legions4Ever
Mar 08, 2004, 11:27 PM
i hated the slavers in ctp :(

Titi
Mar 13, 2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Titi
I only played a few games each of CTP and SMAC.
First, because even though there were many great ideas (public works, work hours and salaries, space and subsea cities for CTP, prototypes, differences between factions), I found them too easy.
Then and mostly because when I changed my computer, I had a new OS and both CTP and SMAC don't run under Win 2K or XP...

:) Wrong information here: after I upgraded both games, no more problem!

gen.dragolen
Mar 25, 2004, 11:04 AM
CPT the best game ever ?

Not in this reality. While it was a huge improvement over CivI, it was still not up to a decent level.
The worst part was the outright cheating by the AI. It was so bad I actually traded the game away for Mechwarrior 2.

I had too many games where the AI started lobbing nukes around. The last game I played in CTP I had the AI torn down to the point where their last 3 cities were besieged and reduced to about population level 6. My cities were 25- 35 squares away, and nukes had a max range of 20. The enemy had no submarines to transport nukes into range, because after their first attack, I cleared the oceans of enemy ships yet in 3 turns they popped out 6 nukes that take 15 turns to produce in a size 26 city when my spies said they didn't have the technology yet.

Last I could recall, there was no such thing as a terrorist with nukes in the CTP game. CivI looked terrible, but at least the AI's had to play by the same rules as the players.

I just reinstalled CTP2 after not having played it for about 2 years and I find I enjoy it, even if it is a little slow and has a clunky interface. But it is more satisfying after 2 years of CivIII. Features like trade and invisible units are sooooo nice. Now if only the diplomacy could be more like Civ III. Doing 1:1 trades for techs is not good business. And resources needed to produce units is another CivIII good idea.

Now to see who can build a game that combines the best of both games.

D

SamE
Jun 09, 2005, 09:13 PM
Here's my ranking of all of these games except CTP2 (haven't played):

(Civ4 - I hope)
Civ3 Conquests
Civ3 Vanilla
CTP
Civ2
Civ1

I didn't find the constant crashing of CTP too entertaining, but the graphics were pretty good (but not as good as Civ3). I liked the ideas of space cities, world pollution, potentially detrimental wonders, 100-defense leviathans, public works, and under-seabed channels. Another thing I enjoyed a lot was the futuristic "predictions" in the Civilopedia (or whatever it was called), like that the Chunnel would be blown up by terrorists in 2002. :lol: :lol:

Thilips
Jun 21, 2005, 07:51 PM
CTPII is better than all. Even though the bugs did get me, I found my way around those. One or two simple batch files downloaded made that easy to fix. As far as game play, CTPII is better because one the Armies are realastic. Why would I want to fight man on man if I deploy 10 to 12 units or something like 5 artillary. If I deployed 5 artillary or 12 units I want the combined fire power not just the power of one. If anything parts of CIV3 should have been added into CTPII to make a CTP3, like graphics and modification but CTP peroid has it hands down.

Ekmek
Jun 22, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thilips you should check out apolyton, I made a civ3 mod...

Thilips
Jun 25, 2005, 03:10 AM
Ekmek, what is the name of your mod ?

Ekmek
Jun 28, 2005, 03:35 PM
terrain
http://67.15.24.46/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96137

and

units and cities
http://67.15.24.46/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130520

enjoy

Kurioku
Jul 21, 2005, 11:49 PM
I think call ta power 2 kicked some muthaf**king ass!
The diplomacy was great with threats and pacts, the army system rocked, using waves of battleships tanks and artillery with carriers and fighters was a f**king blast. They need to hurry it the hell up and make ctp 3 already. It is the next level of series. And most people who complain are just whinning ******* so don't listen to them. You're right, call to power rules.

DoTheMath
Aug 05, 2005, 06:24 PM
:goodjob:PW definately makes things a great deal easier, cities expand as population grows, and slavery makes even skimishing fun.

Unfortunetly, slavery makes the game too easy, if I'd had more sence (before aom), I'd have played on progressively larger maps, to rectify the situation.

Sir_Lancelot
Mar 30, 2006, 03:22 AM
I both love and hate CTP.

The worst are the bugs, a few times I experienced the game crashed. In my last game it crashed everytime I touched a particular city. And reloading an old save didn't help, when I again came to THAT year, the game crashed again! :mad: I gave up. (Yes I got the 1.2 patch.)

Another thing I dislike is the weak AI. I barely find it challenging on Deity. If I survive the start on Deity I always win with ease. And I'm no civ genius, I just moved on to Civ3, Regent is at the moment my level. I think Monarch will give me a real challenge.

In CTP, if you bombard and kill all defense in AI cities, what do the AI do? Build new defenders? Often not; Instead it build an expensive fusion tank and send it alone to my land, leaving it's home country almost defenseless. If it's really lucky it pillages one tile before I kill it off.

Another bad thing is the pollution on Deity level. If I give top priority to environment cleaners and my cities is totally clean (according to the city view), they generate horrible pollution on another info screen. Even small cities with no polluting production boosters and all cleaners possible! :mad: One or two dead tiles per turn isn't unusual even in the Ecotopia government...
It angers me because it does not help no matter how hard priority I give to the environment. The only solution, and it toatally removes all pollution (except from nukes), is to build the Gaia Controller.

And the user interface is not the best, it takes too much mouse clicking to play. It hurts my hand.

This is a few of the negative sides. Very much good can be said about the game, but I think most of it is already said.

I'm now addicted to Civ3 but I know I have not played my last CTP. :)

Sir_Lancelot
Mar 31, 2006, 05:48 AM
CTP is also unbelievable demanding to the hardware compared to Civ3.

Very pronounced on a pentium 3 laptop.

Locutus
Mar 31, 2006, 08:02 AM
CTP is also unbelievable demanding to the hardware compared to Civ3.

Very pronounced on a pentium 3 laptop.

Ehhrmm... it's just the other way around. Must be a specific problem with your laptop, 'cuz Civ3 is a huge memory & CPU hog whereas both CtP games run very smoothly. Just compare the min specs (and remember, these games were released less than a year apart, with no significant differences in the feature set -- CtP2 even offers bigger maps):

CtP2
Pentium, 166 MHz
64 MB RAM (though it actually runs fine on 32 MB, did that for over a year)
4 MB video card (min 800x600)
320 MB HDD
Windows 95+

Civ3
Pentium II, 400 MHz
128 MB RAM
16 MB RAM (min 1024x768)
1.5 GB HDD
Windows 98+

Strato
Mar 31, 2006, 08:35 AM
CTP was fun to some extent. A few things about it:

Good:
Graphics. Seemed really crisp, nice contrast against the ground.
The way unit support was done back then (cf Civ II)
Armies - sure, it was underdone, but still, I liked the tactical aspect.

Bad:
Trade - nuff said
Lawyers, tv evangelists, etc. What's the go with them. All of these 'support' units killed the game I thought.
Stupid AI.

GermanRuler
May 18, 2006, 08:21 PM
I'm sick of hearing people tearing down CTP without arguments. True, it was released buggy and maybe it still needed some playtesting to balance gamplay completetly: but it still blew me away. IMO, not even Civ3 compares to Civilization: Call to Power. It is definitely the best civ game I have ever played. Sid started the genre with Civ1, true. But CTP was one of those games that takes the genre and pushes it to the next level, raises it's own standards. I can't beleive how after a game like that anyone would release a civ game without space cities! Ilogical (yes, Activision included). I cannot say the same for CTP2 tho. To me, the secuel was kind of a dissapointement.
Anyway, the idea is that everyone post as short as possible good and bad things about CTP in comparison to other civ games like so:

:goodjob:
- PUBLIC WORKS!!!
- Wages, food rations and work hours tab.
- Space cities.
- Future technologies.
- Those 0 movement tubes.
- Excelent wonders.
- Multiple units combat sistem.
- Army creation sistem.
- Many goverment types.

:(
- Interface is 4/10 IMO.
- Primitive diplomacy.

Rock on man! I agree with you on this one!

GermanRuler
May 18, 2006, 08:27 PM
"Civ III seems to be even more addictive for the simple fact that every game can be modified so much. " LOL, did you know CTP had a in-game "cheat mode" its basically like opening the editor program in the middle of the game

Sir_Lancelot
May 19, 2006, 12:41 AM
Ehhrmm... it's just the other way around. Must be a specific problem with your laptop, 'cuz Civ3 is a huge memory & CPU hog whereas both CtP games run very smoothly. Just compare the min specs (and remember, these games were released less than a year apart, with no significant differences in the feature set -- CtP2 even offers bigger maps):

CtP2
Pentium, 166 MHz
320 MB HDD
Windows 95+

Civ3
Pentium II, 400 MHz
128 MB RAM
16 MB RAM (min 1024x768)
1.5 GB HDD
Windows 98+
I talk about CTP 1, patch 1.2. It runs easily at the start of the game. But on a large map filled with cities, space cities and a ton of units... I tell you my 850 MHz and 320 MB machine is really struggling. My gfx card is 8 MB.
I do not use animated goods btw.

On a large Civ3 map and a ton of units I do not have this problem. And I am shutting down fewer background services when I play Civ3, than CTP.

BureauBert
May 23, 2006, 10:44 AM
Like many others I am currently unable to even test Civ4 with reasonably sized maps on my computer while CTP2 Apolyton Edition (http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=213) runs pretty smoothly with an ultra-gigantic (280 x 140 tiles) map and a huge amount of scripted modifications even though the Apolyton Edition is still in BETA stage :lol: .

Ekmek
May 23, 2006, 01:14 PM
- Interface is 4/10 IMO.
- Primitive diplomacy.

Well CTP2 with the playtest and builds remedies some of these:
- the AI is better
- Rsources are in and have more diverse benefits than Civ3 or Civ4 (unique units, buildings, wonders, you can "ship" gold, food, shields, science, happiness, and slaves now and you can "build/plant" goods)
- Unique Units can have a variety of uniqueness. Either civilizationonly or by culturegroup, OR by citystyle only (meaning an aztec capturing a roman city could be legions there if thats the setting) and you can make buildings required tomake units or you may have to achieve a feat to build a type of unit not to mention resources.
- diplomacy is a bit better with the AI working deals but now we do have better diplomacy screens

Zotmeister
Feb 05, 2007, 11:42 AM
I like to think of Call to Power (the original *) as that pleasant hideaway, a game that only I enjoy. However, it is not unpleasant to find out that I am in fact not alone on this.

The first thing I note about Call to Power is something I've noticed hasn't been commented on yet here: Call to Power has a lot more personality than most other games of its type. It seems to directly focus on things that the "Sid" games intentionally avoid, presenting a sort of treatise on the "dark side" of civilization: slavery & abolition, fascism, biological weapons, contraception, and lawyers! lawyers! lawyers!. To be fair, SMAC comes very close, and SMAX closer still, but Call to Power actually manages to cover a lot of the elements those games do due to its progression into the future. (The AI Entity is clearly influenced by the roleplaying game Paranoia, font and all.)

Oh, and I have to set the record straight on this:

Last I could recall, there was no such thing as a terrorist with nukes in the CTP game.

There most certainly is. Spies and Cyber Ninja have the Plant Nuke option, yet another "edgier" element to the game.

I agree that a game with the best elements of both Call to Power, SMAC/X, and, say, Civ 3 would be a force to be reckoned with. But standing on their own, as they are, I'll take CtP, thank you.

...But boy does it EVER need those patches. It still holds the record for the two most stupid bugs in a released game. Activision fessed up to the nukes-not-an-act-of-war bug in the readme for 1.1, but (despite fixing it in same) they never admitted to the network-game-guaranteed-to-crash-on-setup-if-any-player-name-begins-with-'Z' bug. I guess it's just too embarassing. (I'm the one who discovered that, by the way. I discovered it the hard way, as you might imagine. The other players were joking at the time, "Maybe it's just you"... turns out it WAS just me.) Pollution calculation was FUBAR until 1.2. They did eventually finish the game, and the end result was really nice, but sheesh...
- ZM

*The sequel is crap, although I never kept it long enough to play around with mods for it. I will, however, grant it that it has one of the greatest single-theme game soundtracks ever, being right up there with, say, Parasite Eve.

Ekmek
Feb 19, 2007, 01:06 PM
Zotmeister,
I never heard of that crash. We are doing a lot to *fix* Ctp2 at Apolyton. Click the link in my signature to see whats going on.

Domofuhrer
Mar 21, 2007, 05:17 AM
CtP was a game I had high expectations for and was initially disappointed with, and still sort of feel bummed about buying it new instead of waiting for it to hit the bargain bin. Oh the mistakes we make with our youth.

I give thumbs-up for CtP introducing a greater range of non-military units, and stretching into the future. That last particular part really needs to be brought into the actual Civ franchise. Let's see Firaxis create Civ 5 with an end date in 2500 or 3000 CE.

(incidentially, I thought that it was strange that the 20th century alone saw the same amount of unit progression as the entire third millenium. o_O )

Though I do remember many terrible things. The crashes, the poor AI, pollution out the wazoo, a rough graphic interface that could cut one's eyes (compared to the more cartoon-ish Civ lineage). And a very slow performance on the PC I was using at the time.

But it was truly innovative and it took risks, and one should give it that. It did cover aspects of Civilisation that Sid Meier never touched such as slavery or making money off lawyers and televangelists. It created a history for the next thousand years that could be played out by the player (SPACE AND SEA CITIES - and the latter you didn't see until SMAC). An option to duplicate pre-formed lists of city improvements for your cities to build - so instead of individually queuing improvements in each city one at a time, you could form a list and tell cities to bild according to a particular list - and a public works method instead of the fiddly, useless and time-consuming Settlers and Engineers (useless when automated, mind you).

It could have been executed a lot better, but it had ideas that were worth putting out there.

Also, this is the dead-est thread I've ever posted in. Why won't you let the dead rest?

Ekmek
Mar 23, 2007, 04:04 PM
its seems dead here, but there is still life at Apolyton - since we get to work on the CtP2 code and make improvements.

candle86
Apr 04, 2007, 02:30 PM
J-S: get help ;)

That game is so tedious (my opinion for whatever it's worth). I didn't like Civ III for the same reason. I'm not prepared for the new generation of strategy games I guess.

I must agree here with you, i started off playing Civ II, then i got TOT and then finally got Gold edition. I got Civilization because of Colonization, they where the same compay and both said sid meier and i was suprised to find Civilization more enjoyable than colonization. I got Civilization for Windows and SMAC shortly after and love them both, and then came Civ III, i couldnt enjoy it, the new resource gathering ect made the game just feel to limited, and i could no longer devlop tech faster than everyone else, because if i got to smart they just attacked me for some reason. I recenlty got CTP II from half Price books though, and im giving it a shot, but its giving me nightmares of Civ 3 agian.

CtP2
Pentium, 166 MHz
320 MB HDD
Windows 95+

Civ3
Pentium II, 400 MHz
128 MB RAM
16 MB RAM (min 1024x768)
1.5 GB HDD
Windows 98+

yea im running CTPII on a 650P3 and 128mb of ram on windows XP

candle86
Apr 05, 2007, 04:19 PM
ok i have it a shot, CTP II, and i hate it, for one i had no idea my city could be jumped by 6 guys at once, no way did my 2 pikeman have a chance, it didnt tell me anywhere you can team up armies, this game blows seriously

Ekmek
Apr 09, 2007, 11:17 AM
sorry for your experience. Yah it doesn't have the civ series one-on-p\one fighting (which is unrealistic).

At apolyton (see the link in my signature) we are improving the game and there are more tips there.

Sir_Lancelot
Apr 09, 2007, 04:55 PM
About CTP and hardware resources.

CTP runs fine until the space age. With space cities and units moving in the space, in addition to all the earth based cities/units, it runs very slow.

Example. Ground units on maglevs move fast across the screen. A space unit takes forever to move the same number of tiles, especially near the centre of the map.

I do not have all animations turned on.

CivIII runs much faster, but in CivIII there is only one "surface", compared to the double surface (earth + space) in CTP.

Pariah
Apr 16, 2007, 02:05 PM
i had no idea my city could be jumped by 6 guys at once, no way did my 2 pikeman have a chance, it didnt tell me anywhere you can team up armies,...

That's a cool feature, I happen to think. Limiting the size of stacks to 12 was also a good idea - prevents the kind of overkill which can occur in Civ4, where 20+ enemy units can sneak into your territory and look like only 1 (until you mouse over them)! Though it would be better if you could have multiple stacks of 12 stationed in the same city.

Within these limits, I've found that the best strategy is to group your city defenders into 2 or more small stacks (I think of them as battle groups). If you have 10 units in a city, it's best to group 8 as an attack group who can destroy enemy groups in nearby squares; the other 2 should stay at home, to avoid having a slave rebellion while the defenders are drawn out.

Sir_Lancelot
Apr 22, 2007, 04:17 AM
In CTP 1 only 9 units can be on the same tile/city.

For city defense, you only need 4 leviathans :D

thadian
Jun 24, 2007, 04:37 PM
CTP is awesome, i loved it more than any other, only thing i hated was getting electricity or nationalism from "goodie huts".

Ekmek
Jul 02, 2007, 04:01 PM
thadian

check us out at apolyton if your still interested in playing ctp2. we could use input for fixes

Sir_Lancelot
Jul 03, 2007, 01:49 AM
I saw CTP 2 for sale in a shop recently. But isn't this freeware by now?

Pariah
Jul 03, 2007, 03:01 AM
The source code is available online, but I've never heard of a full, downloadable free version. Besides, CTP2 always needs the CD-ROM to run.

Ekmek
Jul 03, 2007, 03:20 PM
no there is no free version out there, it'll break the EULA for the source code. Apolyton.net is the only place for the source code. there people over there that know how to get copies <ahem> cheap.

cugel
Jul 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
@Ekmek
You seem to know a lot about this game (I'm sorry that I'm not computerwise enough, I think, to be part of a playtesting team) Do you know if CtP could run on windows XP?

Ekmek
Jul 16, 2007, 04:52 PM
it definetely runs on xp. check the link in my sig to see the changes going on

Pariah
Jul 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ir runs on Vista as well :)

slinky360
Jul 24, 2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe everybody already knows this, but i will post for those who dont. I had trouble getting ctp to run on my vista system (kept crashing to desktop). After looking around on the net for options, i came across Virtual PC 2007. This is available free for download at microsoft and it lets you run other operating systems inside a window. You will need the original os cd. I installed win98. The program gives the guest os part of your hard drive to use. Once more, the guest os (win98 in my case) had no trouble using my sound card, graphics card, etc... In the past i have had lots of trouble setting up a dual boot os, only to find win98 could not use my hardware. Now ive installed ctp on the guest os (win98) and it runs no probs.

cugel
Jul 25, 2007, 09:54 AM
I'll try all tips soon as i've time. thanks!

Ondskan
Dec 31, 2007, 05:58 PM
Long time since I played Call to Power (2) but I remember it as being the best. The graphics just kicked ass and the options were many but easy to understand.

In contrast Civ 1-3 is VERY simple. The governments are quite stupid and bias and you do get bored of it. Thank god for mods.
Civ 4 is good (only played it at a friends house a few times) but If I'm going to play a graphicly stunning game I'm gonna go for Age of empires 3 or Command and Conquer Generals. Not some bloody Turnbased grandstrategy game that is supposed to have simple graphics!

Alpha Centauri on the other hand is the BOMB but it's so complicated and hard that if you stop playing it for a year it takes half a month to understand again.

So yea, my vote goes for Call to power aswell :)

Lord'sBelievers
Sep 27, 2008, 05:27 AM
Call to Power had great music. Call to power also had extreme bugginess. I absolutely adore the movies for the wonders that you can make. Too bad that they NEVER WORK for me anymore. sigh...
Yeah.... I would say CTP barely qualifies for a great game. But a great game it is.

cugel
Oct 27, 2008, 10:53 AM
I've got it to work again, without too much trouble, on an XP machine, though I had to download something to get the music working again. Had to pay for that, but not much. I like playing those old games every now and then. My version (II) was without bugs, but I heard that the older version was terrible. Recently I had to format the computer so I'm not sure if I can play it again.