View Full Version : Downloading and Unzipping ??

kaskoid
Dec 16, 2009, 01:59 PM
Noob question:
Where do I find the procedure for downloading and unzipping?

The_J
Dec 16, 2009, 02:25 PM
:confused: just download it (save it), and then unzip it.

kaskoid
Dec 16, 2009, 03:00 PM
Into what folders? I have done this with other games; I just don't know the path for this one. Thanks for a fast reply.

The_J
Dec 17, 2009, 02:20 AM
:confused: it doesn't matter, where you put it.
After downloading, you have to unzip the file, and the unzipped folder has to go to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civ\(Addon,If you have one)\Mods

kaskoid
Dec 17, 2009, 08:49 AM
I just must be stupid about this or something. I did what you said. I can find the mod when I open the game in My Computer. It simply won't show up when I boot Warlords. I even took you literally and loaded it in vanilla Civ4, but it does not play from there either, although I can see it when I look for it.
Is there nowhere on any forum for mods and modding that gives a step-by-step? I have done this extensively with another game I play, and that process involves Resources and changing Resource sets and all. I am at a loss here; I'd really like to try out several of the mods, but can't seem to figure out how to do it, which is making me feel particularly dense right now.

The_J
Dec 17, 2009, 10:24 AM
What do you mean with "it doesn't show up"?
Does it not show up, when you go to advanced -> load a mod, or does the mod not have any effect?

Padma
Dec 17, 2009, 11:26 AM
Split from Site Feedback and moved to a forum where you can get the help you need.

God-Emperor
Dec 17, 2009, 02:34 PM
First: make sure you are getting a mod that will work with Warlords, if that is the expansion you are using. These days a lot of mods require the Beyond the Sword expansion (it has been out for about 2.5 years after all, and the last patch was 6 months ago - and it is probably literally the last patch; and it was also finally released for the Mac a while back). A mod made for BtS will generally not work with Warlords.

For Warlords, the default mod location is:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods
The location will probably be different if you bought the game on-line via something like Steam.

The unzipped mod folder should be put in there, just like the mods that came with the game, such as "Alexander the Great" or "Vikings".

Make sure the mod's folder is directly in the mod folder (if you see what I mean) - the way unzipping often works on windows it is possible to get a duplicate folder in a folder (unzip Foo.zip and you sometimes end up with a folder named Foo inside a folder named Foo, which is one too many).

Once the mod's folder is in place, run Warlords and select the Advanced menu and then Load A Mod. The new mod should be on the list.

Edit: By the way - some mods have installers (they are .exe files, not .zip) which, when run, will install the thing for you. These may only be available for mods that require BtS though, since they are a relatively new development.

Ajidica
Dec 17, 2009, 03:48 PM
There were mods with exe installers for vanilla. FfH 1 had an installer.

kaskoid
Dec 24, 2009, 07:14 AM
I thank all of you for your help.

It would seem to me that the most likely problem I was dealing with was lack of a patch.

When I installed BtS last week, it said it had to patch either Civ or Warlords, or both (I was doing several things at the same time and did not read everything that came up).

I have since become so engrossed in BtS that I haven't been back to try to re-load Asian War.

With what I have learned from your response, I don't foresee any problems in future.

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas