View Full Version : On which difficulty will you start your first ciV game?

zehcoutinho
Mar 05, 2010, 01:49 PM
Will you start playing at the same level as cIV? One level down? two?

I personnaly play cIV on Monarch. I was thinking about starting ciV two levels down, on Noble, wich is the "balanced" level.

Am I the only one who is already thinking about this? hehe

P.S.: I know that the difficulty levels may change, but for this I'm assuming the scale of cIV.

Schalke 04
Mar 05, 2010, 01:54 PM
For me it will be the lowest level.

I want to test all the new features without thinking all the time that I wasted a turn or made a bad decision.

Presumably my second game will be two levels higher then :)

LordRahl
Mar 05, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'll play the tutorial mission first, which will probably have a preset level.

bonafide11
Mar 05, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'll probably play on the standard level, the one that doesn't give either the human or AI bonuses. I can't imagine playing on any easier of a level -- it's embarrassing to me if I need any bonuses to beat the AI. But I also don't want to play on any harder of a level because I don't want the AI to stomp me before I even get into the modern era.

Thormodr
Mar 05, 2010, 02:42 PM
I'll probably play on the second lowest level.

I'll try and get a feel for the game and quit half way through because I screwed it up royally. :lol:

Can't wait though. The game looks very promising. :D

Willowmound
Mar 05, 2010, 02:45 PM
The level where the AI has no bonuses and no handicaps.

Shiggs713
Mar 05, 2010, 02:55 PM
yea the "noble" level to start out and get the feel of things. Probably go up to the equivalent of monarch or immortal after awhile if its anything like civ4.

Berba
Mar 05, 2010, 03:27 PM
First I'll go the tutorial to see the major changes, and then, in my first real game, I play on the standard difficulty

zehcoutinho
Mar 05, 2010, 05:39 PM
I read on the announcements in the Civfanatics main page, that a magazine stated that the AI on this one actually deserves the "I". Much better than the bonus only difficulty levels.

blade117
Mar 05, 2010, 05:45 PM
Wait, so instead of getting MOAR bonuses, the AI will actually become more intelligent as difficulty increases?

Tusked
Mar 05, 2010, 08:10 PM
I'm mostly a Prince player (bit of a civ noob) so I'll probably go for Warlord (or equivalent) my first CiV game, just to get acclimated.

chongli
Mar 05, 2010, 08:16 PM
Balls to the wall, Deity for life!

cardgame
Mar 05, 2010, 08:18 PM
I'll probably play it on Warlord and then progress upwards... if I can... :p

because tbh I kind of sucked at cIV.

bonafide11
Mar 05, 2010, 08:20 PM

Playing it on Deity the first time sounds excruciating. Who wants to get pummeled by the AI while you're just trying to figure out how to play? You're lucky to make it past the ancient era to even get a feel for the game.

That is, unless it's like Deity in Civ Revolution, which is pretty darn easy.

Shiggs713
Mar 05, 2010, 08:42 PM

now that you mention it that kinda sounds like fun. You'd probably get better at the game faster honestly. I learned how to play chess from playing Gary Kasparov Chess on my computer... I used to crank it up to Gary Kasparov difficulty and lose every time, but it made me much better. I can now beat most my friends even if I take my queen off the board before we start.

chongli
Mar 05, 2010, 10:40 PM
Playing it on Deity the first time sounds excruciating. Who wants to get pummeled by the AI while you're just trying to figure out how to play? You're lucky to make it past the ancient era to even get a feel for the game.

That is, unless it's like Deity in Civ Revolution, which is pretty darn easy.

now that you mention it that kinda sounds like fun. You'd probably get better at the game faster honestly. I learned how to play chess from playing Gary Kasparov Chess on my computer... I used to crank it up to Gary Kasparov difficulty and lose every time, but it made me much better. I can now beat most my friends even if I take my queen off the board before we start.

I pretty much always play every new game at the highest difficulty level available. I don't like to wade into the kiddie pool, I dive into the deep end. I get a much better feel for it that way.

I find that if you play at lower difficulty levels, you get away with a lot of bad habits. That doesn't happen at Deity level. Those bad habits get stamped out before they even get a chance to gain a foothold.

Akkon888
Mar 05, 2010, 11:14 PM
I will play towards the lower end of difficulty. If the AI actually improves intellectually, that will be a godsend.

PieceOfMind
Mar 06, 2010, 12:50 AM
Assuming Firaxis have the good sense to include a tutorial, the difficulty at which I start a normal game would probably be decided after seeing how confusing or easy the tutorial was. ;)

Belisar
Mar 06, 2010, 01:16 AM
I read on the announcements in the Civfanatics main page, that a magazine stated that the AI on this one actually deserves the "I". Much better than the bonus only difficulty levels.

Unfortunately I made the experience that statements about the difficulty of a strategy game by game-magazine testers have nothing to do with actual difficulty and the quality of the AI.
I've read this particular statement "the AI on this one actually deserves the "I" or something similar countless times, it was wrong most of the times.
But one can hope :)

MethanalCHO
Mar 06, 2010, 07:30 AM
I'll probably start with CiV at Cheftain/Settler/whatever will be the lowest level. I'll read the Civiliopedia and then start playing. When I feel I'm ready, I'll go up a difficulty level, until I finally win Deity (or Sid!)

Dan Quale
Mar 06, 2010, 05:32 PM
I'll probably play the tutorial once, then move to monarch-immortal for my first real (marathon) game depending on how it goes.

Disgustipated
Mar 06, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'm not a big micromanager, I play for fun. So in civ4 I play on normal or warlord if I'm doing more challenging settings.

I'll probably play the second lowest (the lowest tend to really be pathetic).

Shiggs713
Mar 06, 2010, 05:44 PM
I thought playing on noble was pathetic... oh well

LiDDiS
Mar 06, 2010, 05:46 PM
Probably Noble. I'll go in expecting to lose though!

grant2004
Mar 06, 2010, 07:40 PM
I normally do Monarch, with a few games on Emperor now and again. I'll probably start on the middle difficulty in Civ 5 so I can get used to the game, and will begin increasing difficulty so I can guage how big a difference the difficulty levels make. That's important for multiplayer, so that I know how large of a handycap will be appropraite with different people. I'm sure I won't be able to play the same difficulty level I do now immediately. There will be all sorts of new strategies to develop first.

SGRaaize
Mar 07, 2010, 08:03 AM
Tutorial ---> Hardest difficulty
Its what I always do on every game, it tends to be the most painful way, but the easiest one to make you a pro.

Mathalamus
Mar 07, 2010, 07:54 PM
tutorial, then noble. forever.

Insanity_X
Mar 08, 2010, 04:43 AM
tutorial => noble and working my way up from there.

I'll do the obligatory diety wipeout (possibly in OCC form. I did it in BTS, I'll do it in CiV), possibly doing it after I deem myself ready to jump up (to see how far I've come since I started the new level).

Seventh Child
Mar 08, 2010, 06:07 AM
I can't stand to play anything below the "standard" level. So probably the "Noble" equivalent.

However I may try my hand at some higher difficulty levels on Civ IV and try to walk into 5 confident I can beat it on the next one up.

tomekpe
Mar 08, 2010, 06:15 AM
tutorial => deity => mp forever.

Dragonlord
Mar 08, 2010, 06:31 AM
No matter how they improve it, the AI will never be as smart as me :D so I won't play a 'balanced' game. Like with all other new versions of Civ, I'll start somewhere in the middle difficulties (say, Monarch) for the first game, and work my way up as soon as possible.
Deity for the first game sounds over the top, though. I need to familiarize myself with the new mechanics first. Probably won't finish the first game, anyway, so the difficulty level is secondary.

Tavdy79
Mar 08, 2010, 06:53 AM
I always play my first game one the lowest level, just to get a feel for how to use it, and I'll definitely do the same this time. I'll aim to progress up the ranks though!

V. Soma
Mar 08, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hm, maybe the second lowest to get the feel of it, and then the even level (noble) next...

eireksten
Mar 08, 2010, 07:33 AM
I'll give Obunaga a try on Deity first, before (most likely) moving on to the tutorial :) Then it's back to deity, as the tutorial is bound to have made me an expert ;)

kivanc
Mar 08, 2010, 07:53 AM
in civ4, i play high levels but for fun and learning civ5 dynamics, sth between noble/monarch seems good

MeowthLover
Mar 08, 2010, 08:26 AM
Tutorial => Balanced => Multiplayer :)

kivanc
Mar 08, 2010, 08:31 AM
i really didn't know so many guys played tutorial. to start a new game, u could just follow advisors, if u need them.

i generally like going into everything and learning myself

Chimera1804
Mar 08, 2010, 01:49 PM
if there's a tutorial i'd do that first just to get familiar with it...if no tutorial i'd play easiest...that way I can get a feel for strategy in hexes...and also be able to go all the way through the modern era so i can see everything (and not have to try three-four times to get to the modern)

EDIT: Although I just remember my siblings and i decided to play a multiplayer on it for our first game...until we start that we can't do singleplayers...:p

kivanc
Mar 09, 2010, 02:43 AM
1st impression is very important. So starting on a very EZ level or a very hard level would be wrong. I don't like tutorials neither.
So I think sth between noble/monarch would be good to start.

Ymir9
Mar 09, 2010, 04:54 AM
Probably Emperor, but it depends on that fancy AI of theirs.
Judging from Revolutions I'll probably bump back up to Deity after my first game, but Revolutions is probably exceptionally easy.

Disgustipated
Mar 10, 2010, 06:57 AM
I thought playing on noble was pathetic... oh well

I suppose, but I feel I can play the game the way it was meant to be played. IE building up an empire and not taking advantage of ai exploits. Even tech trading is an exploit. And I can win on noble without tech trading.

zehcoutinho
Mar 10, 2010, 12:09 PM
Actually, I think no level is pathetic. There are some people who have more fun on lower levels and some in higher, but I think the fun is exactly the same for each. Some people have fun winning by landslide, some like winning by close calls. Some like to always play in the same level, and some like to go up in levels for more challenge. Some like to know all the mechanics and micromanaging, some just play casually without much depht. And I repeat, all of these players have fun, and that being the goal of the game, there's no way any level can be pathetic if it is fulfilling the needs of a certain type of player. As I read in another post, Civ IV and expansions sold millions of copies, not counting the pirated ones, and this forum, without question the biggest, has only about 50k members. This gives us a true feeling that the game is larger than hardcore players.

Thormodr
Mar 10, 2010, 12:18 PM
Anyone who thinks they are elitist because they play on a higher difficulty level need to get over themselves.

I usually play around the middle levels but I play with certain handicaps. For example, I will not tech trade unless asked by the AI or absolutely no reloading. Maybe I will not chop down a forest or whip any people the entire game.

Those kind of things will get you killed quick on the higher difficulty levels but make it pretty challenging for the mid tier ones.

You can have lots of fun and still be challenged on the slightly lower levels. Hopefully ciV is the same. :)