View Full Version : recommend a Kung Fu movie.

Shekwan
Mar 29, 2010, 05:56 AM
Well? What have you got?

All suggestions are welcome. Please elaborate on your choices to provoke discussion.

Cutlass
Mar 29, 2010, 08:39 AM
Something with Jackie Chan. Nothing with white guys in the lead roll.

warpus
Mar 29, 2010, 09:29 AM
Enter the Dragon - a must see classic starring the master of all things Kung Fu - Bruce Lee

bigdog5994
Mar 29, 2010, 04:56 PM
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

8X3yzuPwWas

ParadigmShifter
Mar 29, 2010, 05:50 PM
Enter the Dragon is good, and Police Story is excellent Jackie Chan movie.

Cheezy the Wiz
Mar 29, 2010, 06:10 PM
Legend of Drunken Master is one of my personal favorites.

warpus
Mar 30, 2010, 08:25 AM

That is a good one!

I wish I could remember the names of all the good Kung Fu movies I've seen.. I've def. seen Kung Pow over 30 times though :lol:

Narz
Mar 30, 2010, 07:52 PM
Seconded. Either the original or the remake.

Glassfan
Mar 31, 2010, 01:43 AM
Kung Fu Hustle, by "natural-born Kung Fu genius" Stephen Chow. Funny, zany, smart. Leung Siu-Lung was brought out of retirement to play in this flick.

A question for the panel: Anybody remember a Hong Kong thug in the earlier movies that went by the stage name "Ugly Wu"?

Huayna Capac357
Mar 31, 2010, 06:12 PM
The only one I've really seen is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (not sure if it counts), but that was awesome

Cheezy the Wiz
Mar 31, 2010, 06:46 PM
Kung Pow and Kung Fu Hustle were both hilarious and awesome.

Man, I really need some Kung Fu right now (the TV show). Now that was a fantastic program right there.

holy king
Apr 01, 2010, 04:27 AM
http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2007/10/15/kung-fu-panda.jpg

Shekwan
Apr 04, 2010, 06:41 AM
:D

I was actually inspired to make this thread while watching Legend of the Drunken Master.

I've seen Kung Pow and Kung Fu Hustle so I reckon I'll check out Enter the Dragon and Police Story.

aelf
Apr 04, 2010, 07:49 AM
Fearless. It's pretty new and updated for more modern sensibilities, only slightly cheesy, even trying to break a few stereotypes (if a little forced sometimes), and it's got good fight scenes (which are pretty violent too).

Shekwan
Apr 04, 2010, 07:53 AM
Yeah its quite good. Kinda like a rich man's Bloodsport.

BCLG100
Apr 04, 2010, 07:57 AM
Ong Bak is pretty good. Apparently there is another one but i doubt that'll be as good.

Shekwan
Apr 04, 2010, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah, that reminds me of possibly the best Kung Fu movie of recent times: Warrior King

I'm not sure if its called Warrior King everywhere but its about Tony Jaa killing Australians for robbing his elephant. Awesomeness.

BCLG100
Apr 04, 2010, 09:14 AM
Absolutely Hilarious.

Narz
Apr 04, 2010, 10:00 AM
Ong Bak is pretty good. Apparently there is another one but i doubt that'll be as good.
Oh yeah, I saw that about a year ago, pretty well done I though. :)

Cheezy the Wiz
Apr 04, 2010, 02:06 PM
Fearless. It's pretty new and updated for more modern sensibilities, only slightly cheesy, even trying to break a few stereotypes (if a little forced sometimes), and it's got good fight scenes (which are pretty violent too).

Are we talking about the Fearless with the horrible plane crash scenes?

Traitorfish
Apr 04, 2010, 05:34 PM
Are we talking about the Fearless with the horrible plane crash scenes?
No, the Jet Li one, where he fights a bunch of Europeans and a Japanese guy to "reclaim China's honour", or some such. (It's not quite as overtly nationalistic as that may sound, given that it's set in turn of the century Shanghai, where the Chinese really were pretty thoroughly exploited by the West.) It's got some cool inter-disciplinary scenes, which I guess you might call "mixed martial arts", but is mostly just cool, and the plot manages to do more than just string-together fights without loosing focus.

Also, when we say "kung fu film", do we specifically mean Wuxia films, or just any martial arts film? Stuff like Ong Bak and Warrior King (both well worth a watch, by the way) are technically Muay Thai, and Enter the Dragon is, well, a bunch of stuff. And where do we stand on historical epics like Red Cliffs or Battles of Wits, or samurai films?

duckduckswan
Apr 04, 2010, 06:02 PM
If you want to turn your mind off and watch some fun action I recommend Iron Monkey:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q6vxSOU1DA

Sorry, tried to embed the video but it just displayed the html.

BCLG100
Apr 04, 2010, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah, I saw that about a year ago, pretty well done I though. :)

The sequel or the original?

GoodGame
Apr 07, 2010, 11:53 AM

Seconded. I liked the one involving stealing golden Buddha or something. I just remember the final show-down was in a cave and involved a giant gold Buddha.

Other than that, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was alright. Bit more complex characters than regular 'kung-fu'.

Enter the Dragon is ok if you just like seeing pummeling.

aelf
Apr 07, 2010, 02:03 PM
Other than that, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was alright. Bit more complex characters than regular 'kung-fu'.

I've no idea what regular 'kung-fu' you watch.

Birdjaguar
Apr 07, 2010, 11:53 PM
I am watching the Kung fu TV series from 1972. Ground breaking and awesome for its day.

Shekwan
Apr 08, 2010, 10:55 AM
Also, when we say "kung fu film", do we specifically mean Wuxia films, or just any martial arts film? Stuff like Ong Bak and Warrior King (both well worth a watch, by the way) are technically Muay Thai, and Enter the Dragon is, well, a bunch of stuff. And where do we stand on historical epics like Red Cliffs or Battles of Wits, or samurai films?

I would prefer the broad definition of Asian martial arts movies. Historical epics set in Asia too I suppose.