View Full Version : It is German-Czech Music

Elta
Jun 06, 2010, 03:37 PM
Below is some Music everyone in the southwest is familiar with.

1didpRdNEkI

If you listen to the song above, and then listen to a polka song

uQfkATCpW3c

You will see that Northern Mexican music is all derived from polka Mexicans Learned from German-Czech Migrants.

Did this thread just blow you mind?

scherbchen
Jun 06, 2010, 04:56 PM
you mean to say that art influences art? that most art takes influences from other forms of art and mends them into something new? like Shakespeare writing plays in the same general pattern as some old greek guys said they should be written?

my head asploded!

dannyshenanigan
Jun 06, 2010, 05:09 PM
A couple days ago this very tough looking Mexican gentleman with many tattoos pulled up next to me in his lowrider. I had to laugh because it sounded like he was blaring the chicken dance.

Mirc
Jun 06, 2010, 06:18 PM
I thought it was a well-established fact that a large number of Latin American rhythms are descended from central European folk songs. :) In fact most of the music played on the guitarron (usually found in Mariachi bands) is actually exactly the cliche bass line in many kinds of central European folk music!

Interestingly enough, the exchange happened both ways - for example, the courtly European dance "Sarabande" (very popular in Baroque times) is actually a direct borrowing from South America, although a surprisingly low number of people (even among musicians) seem to realize it.

European and Latin American music have always been in constant contact to each other, probably ever since the "discovery" of the New World.

Elta
Jun 06, 2010, 07:45 PM
Good points Mirc.

my head asploded!

:lol:

No! the point isn't that art influences. Most everyone who isn't Mexican (including other Latinos) hate Northern Mexican music with a fiery passion.

When I have a party all of my White friends ask me not to play "that Mexican music, can you play like white music?" Then I laugh :lol: This IS white music, it doesn't get any whiter, it's freakin polka!