View Full Version : What genre would your band play?

madviking
Jul 17, 2010, 10:59 PM
If you (and/or your band) had the skills to play any genre, what you would play?

I would probably have a electro-rock band of some sort.

Yared
Jul 18, 2010, 04:57 AM
Folk Metal, Melodeath, Deathcore?

PeteAtoms
Jul 18, 2010, 08:31 AM
I think we would transcend musical genres even as we reinvent them.

classical_hero
Jul 18, 2010, 09:06 AM
I would be laying generic rock, sometimes it will be hard rock and sometimes it will be ballads.

Kyriakos
Jul 18, 2010, 09:16 AM
I think it would be more poignant to ask people who know how to play a musical instrument :) Else you get all kinds of spam.

Anyway, my band would probably be playing gothic metal :satan:

ParadigmShifter
Jul 18, 2010, 09:17 AM
I was in a punk/thrash/metal/space rock combo that did comedy songs about fresh fruits and vegetables.

Quackers
Jul 18, 2010, 10:10 AM
Proto-metal. Thin Lizzyesque

Catharsis
Jul 18, 2010, 10:46 AM
I would be in a music band and we would play good songs like a man would play at a concert

azzaman333
Jul 18, 2010, 10:47 AM
It wouldn't be any one genre.

Huayna Capac357
Jul 18, 2010, 12:08 PM
It depends on who would be in it.

Narz
Jul 18, 2010, 01:31 PM
hip-hop

LightFang
Jul 18, 2010, 07:07 PM
We play acoustic covers. If we had the skill I'd love to play some original acoustic songs.

Perfection
Jul 18, 2010, 11:19 PM
Whatever one gets us the most money.

Red Door
Jul 18, 2010, 11:29 PM
Talking Heads cover songs.

Bartleby
Jul 19, 2010, 08:38 AM
My amp would go to 11.

Mise
Jul 19, 2010, 09:08 AM
I already have the skills to play 3-chord punk.

warpus
Jul 19, 2010, 11:31 AM
My band would lay down opera nujazz fusion with some mad rhymes courtesy of mc rainbow, mad guitar riffs, and electro house interludes.

Heretic_Cata
Jul 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
A crapload of sub-genres depending on my mood.

_random_
Jul 19, 2010, 05:07 PM
Experimental metalcore, incorporating elements of whatever genre suits my fancy at the time.

Dachs
Jul 19, 2010, 10:55 PM
Michelle Branch tribute band

downtown
Jul 19, 2010, 11:24 PM
I played in a regionally successful blues band for several years. Over our history, I think ended up evolving from a straight blues band to an alternative rock group that liked to have 10 musicians on stage with a healthy appreciation for the blues.

If I start another band, which I'd very much like to, I'd like to do a more modern approach to blues and retro soul. Think Wilson Pickett's Rhythm and Blues Revue, mixed with OAR, Bruce Springsteen, and classic 12 bar blue-ism. It would have horns, harmonicas, and it would be wonderful.

_random_
Jul 20, 2010, 11:38 PM
I played in a regionally successful blues band for several years. Over our history, I think ended up evolving from a straight blues band to an alternative rock group that liked to have 10 musicians on stage with a healthy appreciation for the blues.

Could I have a link to some of your music?

Fr8monkey
Jul 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
Oldies Rock and Country (1950's style) and anything with cowbell!

DroopyTofu
Jul 28, 2010, 10:13 PM
We would try to re-create the sounds of the late sixties through early eighties with covers of bands like Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Beatles, Aerosmith, and the like, but we would have our own stuff that would be like a tribute to those bands and other bands from the era's styles.

Aramazd
Jul 29, 2010, 03:13 AM
thrash ragtime

Virote_Considon
Jul 31, 2010, 11:36 AM
Well, if I was to make a band, it could go one of three ways...

1. Punk band. It would start off Oi!, then somehow a few albums in evolve into some kind of post-punk-esque sound, maybe even veering off into gothic rock at some point. But after that, we'd make a new album called "Back to the Roots" where we become an Oi! band again. I'd be the vocalist and/or guitarist. I dunno. But it would be awesome. This is the most likely option.

2. Ska band. Mostly doing covers and reinventions of 2Tone ska songs and the such. I'd totally be a saxophonist in this band. :cool: This, however, is the least likely option. But oh, well, it's kinda hard to skank when you're playing the sax! :D

3. Try to start up my old Funk Metal band, Industrial Strength Cleaner. I'm not really that into funk metal much anymore, but it'd be good for nostalgia and the such...

SpiritWolf
Jul 31, 2010, 01:13 PM
Chamber music.

dannyshenanigan
Jul 31, 2010, 02:47 PM
Polka Metal :rockon::band:

Yared
Jul 31, 2010, 04:35 PM
:lol: Is that Folk Metal?

SuperJay
Aug 18, 2011, 08:54 PM
Haha hey can we necro this thread, mods? :mischief:

Huayna Capac357
Aug 18, 2011, 09:08 PM
I sort-of answered this thread already, but this thread was necro-ed, so I will re-answer. I play the keyboards and I also sing. Given that I know a bassist and guitarist and a female singer, I would most likely form a band with her as singer, myself as keyboards and backing vocals, and the bassist and guitarist as bassist and guitarist. However, I'd still need a drummer. Also, the genre would highly vary; the singer generally likes pop music and musicals, the bassist and guitarist like Nine Inch Nails and the Foo Fighters, and I like alternative dance music like New Order, Depeche Mode, Björk, and Massive Attack. So we'd probably end up playing vaguely alternative pop music with synths/keyboards/piano in it.

DroopyTofu
Aug 18, 2011, 09:21 PM
If I ever get serious into the music business, I want to write a song with the DABF# GDGA chords from Pachebel Canon, and somehow work the word "Cannon" into the song title, but spell it Canon and see who picks up on the trick. As a bassist, I'd probably work that well known violin riff into the bassline somewhere. I'd also like to do a song in a unusual time signature, like 13/8 or something and use a modal scale in C# or something strange like that. Just to confuse people that listen. I'd probably work in alot of stuff like that that only musicians would appreciate.

_random_
Aug 18, 2011, 09:42 PM
I've been trying to angle myself into a friend's pop punk band. Not my favorite genre, but I'm not very good and the drum parts aren't too complex.

Ozbenno
Aug 18, 2011, 10:19 PM
Played in a band at uni. Very serious indie pop/rock music types. Needless to say we were blindingly awful.

carmen510
Aug 18, 2011, 11:18 PM
What category would the Talking Heads count as?

Red Door
Aug 19, 2011, 12:12 AM
What category would the Talking Heads count as?

Talking Heads cover songs.

Haha, I was going to answer your post and look what I found. Must have been in a Talking Heads mood at the time.

But are Talking Heads not the prototypical example of New Wave anymore? I've always considered them the original New Wave band.

Mise
Aug 19, 2011, 05:13 AM
A year later, I still have the skills to play 3-chord punk.

Hygro
Aug 19, 2011, 05:30 AM
well, you can listen to my house music at http://soundcloud.com/hygro
or my 80s pop music at http://soundcloud.com/justincheasty/sets/

But I would love to be the lead singer and guitarist in a bad like Rhapsody of Fire, singing operatic metal-ballads about elven warlords who battle dragons and ogres with magic swords or whatever the hell they're on about.

rugbyLEAGUEfan
Aug 19, 2011, 07:26 AM
Exclusively old timey polka

Cynovolans
Aug 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
A southern rock/country rock/hair metal band.

madviking
Aug 19, 2011, 06:23 PM
Zydeco-Punk-Alternative Rock-Synthpop-Dubstep-Baroque metal.

Traitorfish
Aug 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Folk doom. Screeching bagpipes and gurgling basslines = all the wins. :rockon:

Hygro
Aug 20, 2011, 09:38 PM
Zydeco-Punk-Alternative Rock-Synthpop-Dubstep-Baroque metal.

Can I be in your band?

Oh, more shameless plugging: I created a facebook page. http://facebook.com/hygro/

Huayna Capac357
Aug 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Hmm...I'll have to have a listen. I've been trying to listen to more electronic music lately.

_random_
Aug 20, 2011, 10:06 PM
Can I be in your band?

Oh, more shameless plugging: I created a facebook page. http://facebook.com/hygro/

Very nice. I seriously hope I get to hear a movie soundtrack composed by or featuring you someday.

Omega124
Aug 20, 2011, 10:21 PM
I would play metal, and I would either be the singer or the electric triangle guitar.

Hygro
Aug 21, 2011, 08:43 AM
Very nice. I seriously hope I get to hear a movie soundtrack composed by or featuring you someday.Thanks! That would be a dream. I am working on an indie RPG soundtrack. It should be out in 12-18 months.

I would play metal, and I would either be the singer or the electric triangle guitar.
:lol:

Yared
Aug 21, 2011, 08:54 AM
Folk doom. Screeching bagpipes and gurgling basslines = all the wins. :rockon:

:lol: Got any bands you could recommend of that genre?

Owen Glyndwr
Aug 21, 2011, 12:00 PM
Ostensibly a jam band. There would be lots and lots and lots and LOTS of covers too.

Kyriakos
Aug 21, 2011, 02:44 PM
I was once in rehearsals as a lead guitarist when i was 16 for the then pending school gig. But the gig never happened. Too bad cause we planned to play a lot of Metallica and Iron Maiden :(

Traitorfish
Aug 21, 2011, 03:14 PM
:lol: Got any bands you could recommend of that genre?
I wish I did! There are folk metal bands that use bagpipes, and some that draw from doom metal, but none with that mix. :sad:

But, just so you don't go away empty handed, take a look at these marvellous nutters (http://youtu.be/UII8CPnJuro). ;)

Hygro
Aug 21, 2011, 03:25 PM
I wish I did! There are folk metal bands that use bagpipes, and some that draw from doom metal, but none with that mix. :sad:

But, just so you don't go away empty handed, take a look at these marvellous nutters (http://youtu.be/UII8CPnJuro). ;)

You just unleashed something unto the world :devil:

DroopyTofu
Aug 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
It's not quite Doom-Metal, but it's hard rock with bagpipes.

wuFd4MIa2eU
(skip to 1:30 for beginning of bagpipes)

Omega124
Aug 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
:lol:

Indeed. The electric triangle is the most hardcore instrument invented by mankind.

Yared
Aug 26, 2011, 03:03 PM

My those are some marvelous beards! I didn't notice the skirts until after a couple of minutes into the video... :mischief:

It's an interesting band though, with all that percussion.

North King
Aug 26, 2011, 05:13 PM
Honestly, all the music I write* sounds like a cross between folk, classic rock, and electropop. I don't know why.

Haven't gotten a chance to record any particularly well yet, to preempt that question.

*that would fit for this thread; my classical music sounds like classical music.

GoodGame
Aug 26, 2011, 05:24 PM
I think we would transcend musical genres even as we reinvent them.

Yeah, kind of like Phish. Probably what my imaginary band would do. Though I kind of like some of the accapello stuff that "Straight No Chaser" does.

Orange Seeds
Aug 28, 2011, 12:41 AM
Noise/Shoegaze type stuff. I think modern music could use some dissonance again.

Sep 04, 2011, 05:13 PM
What genre is the Star Wars Cantena Band? I'd like to hear some more of thier music (or do you think they were doing covers?).

ParkCungHee
Sep 04, 2011, 07:14 PM
I'd play Nerdcore.

Disgustipated
Sep 05, 2011, 08:19 PM
I think it would be cool to have a Christian Death metal band. :D I know it sounds like they can't go together. Actually, it wouldn't be Christian (as I know nothing about Christianity LOL), but it would have happy, uplifting lyrics instead of lyrics about death and destruction. And it would probably border on thrash metal instead of death metal (which tends to have growling lyrics you can't understand).

Hygro
Sep 05, 2011, 09:57 PM
I think it would be cool to have a Christian Death metal band. :D I know it sounds like they can't go together. Actually, it wouldn't be Christian (as I know nothing about Christianity LOL), but it would have happy, uplifting lyrics instead of lyrics about death and destruction. And it would probably border on thrash metal instead of death metal (which tends to have growling lyrics you can't understand).

Blaargggghh Isavedakittenandmysoulllll blaaaarrrrgh Ihelpedanoldladyacrossthestreetandwenttochurch bllallarrrggh! /deathmetalgrowl

DroopyTofu
Sep 05, 2011, 10:45 PM

They already have that. :p

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_death_metal#Death_metal)
Christian metal, also known as white metal, is a form of heavy metal music usually defined by its message in a song's lyrics as well as well as the band's dedication to Christianity. Christian metal is typically performed by professed Christians sometimes principally for Christians who listen to heavy metal music and many times produced and distributed through various Christian networks.

_random_
Sep 06, 2011, 04:17 AM
They already have that. :p

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_death_metal#Death_metal)

He was never asked what completely original genre he'd play.

SuperJay
Sep 06, 2011, 08:37 AM
We'd transcend genres even as we reinvent them

Yeah, kind of like Phish.

I wouldn't have expected that comment to come from anyone but me! :eek: Are you a fan?

Disgustipated
Sep 06, 2011, 10:07 AM
Admittedly, if it's been done before, I may have to rethink that. I'd like to do something completely original.

Sometimes I wonder if all originality is gone. In hundreds of years of music, is it possible we have used every melody and rhythm possible?

Another thing I've wondered is why no new genres seem to have came out since the 90's. Music seems to be stagnating. But perhaps that is beyond the scope of this thread.

I would like to blend classical music and metal together (two of my favorite genres). Admittedly, it is not a new genre, just two existing ones put together, but I think it would sound original. No one would probably listen to it, but that's okay. And yes, I am aware of a certain band out there that uses cellos. But I'd like a band that also uses violins, flutes, and maybe some brass instruments. It would be very difficult to write songs for that kind of orchestra/band that didn't sound like crap. I know I couldn't do it.

_random_
Sep 06, 2011, 05:13 PM
Admittedly, if it's been done before, I may have to rethink that. I'd like to do something completely original.

Sometimes I wonder if all originality is gone. In hundreds of years of music, is it possible we have used every melody and rhythm possible?

Another thing I've wondered is why no new genres seem to have came out since the 90's. Music seems to be stagnating. But perhaps that is beyond the scope of this thread.

I would like to blend classical music and metal together (two of my favorite genres). Admittedly, it is not a new genre, just two existing ones put together, but I think it would sound original. No one would probably listen to it, but that's okay. And yes, I am aware of a certain band out there that uses cellos. But I'd like a band that also uses violins, flutes, and maybe some brass instruments. It would be very difficult to write songs for that kind of orchestra/band that didn't sound like crap. I know I couldn't do it.

Christian death metal with classical influences you say?
Zzoc2dHN5Kw

NiRv4n4
Sep 06, 2011, 05:48 PM
Something weird, a mixture of hard rock, classic rock, and maybe even some jazz.

pKRBN1ACA-c

zGm71xqGKfs

Two great songs, by a great band. I would also try to emulate Zeppelin, but that would, IMO, be much harder.

DroopyTofu
Sep 06, 2011, 06:28 PM
Christian death metal with classical influences you say?
Zzoc2dHN5Kw

I'd just like to say I really enjoyed that video. I'm going to start looking alot heavier into Christian metal now. I'd heard of it, but never really listened to much. But this is a really good song. Thanks for posting! :goodjob:

_random_
Sep 06, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'd just like to say I really enjoyed that video. I'm going to start looking alot heavier into Christian metal now. I'd heard of it, but never really listened to much. But this is a really good song. Thanks for posting! :goodjob:

No problem. The whole album (apart from "Cardiac Rebellion") is pretty solid, so you should pick it up if you get a chance.

Traitorfish
Sep 07, 2011, 11:18 AM
I don't know if it's that there's less innovation so much as how that innovation is conceptualised. I think that what we see now is a tendency to describe novel forms of music in the terms of existing forms, rather than a lack of novel forms altogether. Exactly why this is, I can't say, but I tend to think at least a significant part of it is the culture of music journalism, which seems to regard itself as a sort of pop-academia in which taxonomies of genre are a way of expressing a journalists own depth of knowledge of popular music, rather than any depths of understanding of the music in question. Hopefully, the democratisation of the discussion of popular music emerging as a result of digital communication will do something to address this.

(Edit: That said, my experience of music journalism has tended to be with alt/indie rock, metal and punk journalism, which is notoriously masturbatory, so perhaps this should be taken with a pinch of salt.)

SuperJay
Sep 07, 2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, agreed.

I don't think "music" as an art form is stagnating at all, you just have to look beneath the surface of popular radio airplay and highly-publicized mainstream pop acts. There really is no limitation to art; it's bounded solely by human creativity and imagination. Music isn't a landmass being explored and mapped by musicians acting as cartographers; it's not a finite thing with definitive borders where it begins and ends.

Hygro
Sep 09, 2011, 10:45 PM

Dance music is actively innovating and has made significant changes in not just production but in genre.

downtown
Sep 14, 2011, 10:09 AM
Could I have a link to some of your music?

http://www.youtube.com/user/downtown1810?feature=mhee

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/663192400025" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/663192400025" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>