View Full Version : Just got my CIV V Strategy Guide!

Pages : [1] 2

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 08:49 PM
Just got my 240 page Bradygames Civ V official stategy guide in today!:woohoo:
The guide is the larger magazine sized guide 11"X8.5" and is in full color. Shipping now from gamestop website with overnight delivery available.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=78640

Got some reading to do tonight. If you have something you want confirmed from hard copy before the 21st let me know, after ther 21st i will be busy.

EDIT: moderator split thread so here is a lot of well organized information that was split off:

Here are all the Civs's UU's UB's and Passive Benefits
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379781

Here are all of the Unit Promotions by category
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379780

Edit: I've splitt a bit more:

Civilizations (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379781)
Promotions (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379780)
Social policies (partially) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379788)
Wonders + national wonders (partially) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379783)
Unit infos (partially) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=379789)

weekend_warrior
Sep 15, 2010, 08:52 PM
Please photocopy and post every page. kthxbi.

Wuddel
Sep 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
Post the unrevealed unique units and buildings!

bjbrains
Sep 15, 2010, 08:53 PM
The guide is the larger magazine sized guide 11"X8.5" and is in full color. Shipping now from gamestop website with overnight delivery available.

Got some reading to do tonight. If you have something you want confirmed from hard copy before the 21st let me know, after ther 21st i will be busy.

Well, go to this site http://well-of-souls.com/civ/index.html and fill in the blanks!

More seriously, Knowing the UBs and the rest of the UUs would be a huge help (Ship of the Line, Mandekalu Cavalry, War elephant, Jaguar). I'd also appreciate a finishing up of Order in the policy trees. (United Front, Nationalism), and the rest of the units/buildings/techs. Don't feel obligated to do it all at once though.

Vlade Divac
Sep 15, 2010, 08:54 PM

I'm just gonna go ahead and plop this right here:
:popcorn:

Any aircraft carriers? Airports?

bjbrains
Sep 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm just gonna go ahead and plop this right here:
:popcorn:

Any aircraft carriers? Airports?

Aircraft carriers we know.
Movement: 5; Strength: 20; Ranged Strength: 0; Cost: 348; Required Resource: Oil
They can hold 3 aircraft
There is no airport building.

Dearmad
Sep 15, 2010, 08:57 PM
The bastard is obviously able to read... and is reading it now! Without us. They should only ship books like this before release to ILLITERATES!

ShaqFu
Sep 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
A certain someone needs UU info in the next few hours; I think you should post/PM some :D

VainApocalypse
Sep 15, 2010, 09:07 PM

You wouldn't, by chance, happen to have a scanner and a couple free hours, would you?

Vlade Divac
Sep 15, 2010, 09:11 PM
Movement: 5; Strength: 20; Ranged Strength: 0; Cost: 348; Required Resource: Oil
They can hold 3 aircraft

Wow, yeah I just realized there's been a bit more updated on Arioch's site than I last saw.

Anyway, can you fill in the blanks on the the Unique Buildings?

Disgustipated
Sep 15, 2010, 09:14 PM
They can hold 3 aircraft

does anyone know if uranium can replace oil at all? Or nuclear fissian allow carriers?

Please photocopy and post every page. kthxbi.

this

The_J
Sep 15, 2010, 09:20 PM
As prevention: No scans here! Every scanned page will be deleted and the poster will get infracted. Scanns of books/magazins are illegal, and we do not want anyone here to violate any laws.

Wuddel
Sep 15, 2010, 09:22 PM
Yeah, just quickly type in the few UU/UB that are left. All buildings!

jagdtigerciv
Sep 15, 2010, 09:24 PM
You know you're a civ-nerd when: this thread got you giddy.

I'm giddy.

Tylerryan79
Sep 15, 2010, 09:56 PM
What's it say, if anything, about Babylon? Also so much for Greg saying it wouldn't be available until the 21st! I'm almost tempted to get this... almost :)

bjbrains
Sep 15, 2010, 09:58 PM
Wow. So that answers the paper maker question... A unique unique building... interesting.

Eagle Pursuit
Sep 15, 2010, 09:58 PM
Are they saying anything about requiring resources or not, because that was a big deal for some of the UU's.

Eagle Pursuit
Sep 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
Wow, the Egyptian UB eats 1 culture. Gah, that blows. And to think a temple is required for some other buildings and wonders.

paperfire
Sep 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
So I guess paper maker offsets China's bad unique ability

Also: Can you list the natural wonders? Let's see how many we end up with in the final game.

Also fill out the Order social policy if you can.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 10:05 PM
Wow. So that answers the paper maker question... A unique unique building... interesting.

keep an eye out on this one, may be an omision of replacement of library in the guide but the guide doesnt state that it is a library replacement were it does for other UBs

ShaqFu
Sep 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
What do those promotions on the B-17 do?

Wow, the Egyptian UB eats 1 culture. Gah, that blows. And to think a temple is required for some other buildings and wonders.

You still get +1 culture/turn out of it; it means 1 less culture off the usual +2/turn. Pretty nifty UB if you ask me, since happiness matters now.

Scaramanga
Sep 15, 2010, 10:07 PM
I can see Askia consistently being Egypt's nemesis what with all the plundering bonuses.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 10:07 PM

doesnt eat 1 culture it just gives +2 culture instead of +3 culture of temple

Wuddel
Sep 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah tha paper maker seems to be pretty strong. The longhouse as well.

jagdtigerciv
Sep 15, 2010, 10:25 PM
Paper Maker replaces nothing? I don't know what I think of this.. it depends on how many other unique buildings "replace nothing" or if this is specific to China only.

VainApocalypse
Sep 15, 2010, 10:28 PM
Wow, the Egyptian UB eats 1 culture. Gah, that blows.

If they can make good use of their special ability, then -1 culture/Burial Tomb won't amount to much difference.

bhavv
Sep 15, 2010, 10:32 PM
This guide is only £9.74 in the UK, however is not released until the 21st making it completely useless because I'll be spending a few days studying the civilopedia in the demo instead.

bjbrains
Sep 15, 2010, 10:32 PM
If they can make good use of their special ability, then -1 culture/Burial Tomb won't amount to much difference.
Well, it's +2 culture instead of +3. Having +2 culture, +2 happiness and no maintenence seems like a nice benefit versus +3 culture and maintenence.

bhavv
Sep 15, 2010, 10:41 PM
Well, it's +2 culture instead of +3. Having +2 culture, +2 happiness and no maintenence seems like a nice benefit versus +3 culture and maintenence.

Its empire wide as well, so each one built adds +2 happiness to every city with no maintenance.

I think that with Egypt, you would definately want to try and get the stonehenge to offset the small culture loss, and thats that negative taken care of.

They are still the best choice for wonder whores, I think I'll have to play them first.

bjbrains
Sep 15, 2010, 10:43 PM
Its empire wide as well, so each one built adds +2 happiness to every city with no maintenance.

I think that with Egypt, you would definately want to try and get the stonehenge to offset the small culture loss, and thats that negative taken care of.
Umm, happiness doesn't work like that in Civ 5. All happiness is empire wide.

Louis XXIV
Sep 15, 2010, 10:43 PM
Plus, Stonehenge is easier to build.

Scaramanga
Sep 15, 2010, 10:48 PM

They are still the best choice for wonder whores, I think I'll have to play them first.

And/or invoke Mandate of Heaven to turn the extra happiness back to culture.

jaldaen
Benifit-The Sun Never Sets-+20movement for all naval units

I think you meant +2 movement... +20 might be a bit much ;)

Btw... this is awesome! Keep up the good work ;)

ShaqFu
Again, not to be difficult (and thanks for the great info so far!), but could you post specifics on the Ship of the Line and Hoplite's production?

Tylerryan79
Sep 15, 2010, 10:49 PM

What they are saying is that you get the +2 for each one built in the city, so it's great! For every city you have you build one and get a good amount of happiness.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 10:51 PM
I think you meant +2 movement... +20 might be a bit much ;)

Btw... this is awesome! Keep up the good work ;)

Yes +2 not 20, sorry, eyes getting blurry, but i ....must ......keep.......on (imagine a Shatner voice)

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
Again, not to be difficult (and thanks for the great info so far!), but could you post specifics on the Ship of the Line and Hoplite's production?

Ship of the Line Production is 110 instead of the Frigates 130
Hoplites production is 60 instead of Spearmans 50

King Jason
Sep 15, 2010, 10:56 PM
GREECE
UU#1-Companion Cavalry-replaces Horseman-14 combat compared to Horseman's 12, 5 movement compared to 4, added great general points from combat
UU#2-Hoplite-replaces Spearman-costs more production, 9 combat compared to 7
UB-none
Benefit-Hellenic Leaque-City-State influence degrades at half speed and recovers at twice the normal rate.

Companion's are brutal. :king:

Stronger, Faster, more GGs which means early wars will grant greater game-spanning military benefits. Or earlier Golden ages attained through conquests.

QuothTheRaven
Sep 15, 2010, 11:01 PM
Wow lucky you. And lucky us for having someone as generous as you sacrificing time to share :)

Thanks! Like others before me, I'd like to ask if there's anything about Babylon.

bhavv
Sep 15, 2010, 11:02 PM

Thats why I need the civilopedia for Civ 5 like NAOW!!!!!!!!

:(

But still, Egypt get maintenance free happiness.

bhavv
Sep 15, 2010, 11:07 PM
Companion's are brutal. :king:

Stronger, Faster, more GGs which means early wars will grant greater game-spanning military benefits. Or earlier Golden ages attained through conquests.

Greece are an ancient era powerciv.

Powerful companion cavalry, better defence with hoplites. Basically with greece, you want to do a bit of warmongering right at the start of the game.

China are going to have a very powerful economic edge with the papermaker, and England seem very balanced and defensive - extra range on longbows makes land battle and defense much easier, and they have powerful navies so naval superiority is a must for them.

JonoLith
Sep 15, 2010, 11:11 PM
I've been chomping at the bit to see anything on the Iroquois UU and UB, and to see what the Special Ability looks like now. The suspense is killing me!

cccv
Sep 15, 2010, 11:11 PM
I think the -1 culture from the tomb is far less worrisome than the bonus for plundering the city. A UB ability that benefits the enemy and not you? Yay? >.>

Jaguar looks weak as hell. Again =/

To the nice guy writing this stuff up: I'd like to know what the secret unit is. Use spoiler tags for people who are that way >.>

bhavv
Sep 15, 2010, 11:14 PM
I think the -1 culture from the tomb is far less worrisome than the bonus for plundering the city. A UB ability that benefits the enemy and not you? Yay? >.>

Yea, basically when you play Egypt, you will be wonder spamming with lots of free happiness......

And everyone else is going to want to capture all of your effort :x

JonoLith
Sep 15, 2010, 11:14 PM
Jaguar looks weak as hell. Again =/

Yeah they're early game, and yeah they kinda become obsolete quickly, but an aggressive player will be able to REALLY use these to hinder their opponent in the early game. Remember that pretty much every unit past this requires some kind of resource to really build. I think the spear man might be the exception to that, and some unique units.

Tibblers
Sep 15, 2010, 11:15 PM
Getting a 50% bonus in certain areas right off the bat is really strong, and it has durability. Very good for establishing an early empire.

We already know that longhouse is +1 production to any forest tile.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 11:38 PM
Wow lucky you. And lucky us for having someone as generous as you sacrificing time to share :)

Thanks! Like others before me, I'd like to ask if there's anything about Babylon.

Babylon is not mentioned anywere i have read in the guide yet, probably because they are only available through DLC through Steam. If I see anything I will be sure to post it

QuothTheRaven
Sep 15, 2010, 11:40 PM
Thanks ltarmstrong! I suppose it makes sense that the guide doesn't have anything about Babylon, given how much they seem to want to keep it a secret.

Is there by any chance any detailed information about the various difficulty levels, and how the AI scales in resource bonuses / intelligence?

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 11:48 PM
To the nice guy writing this stuff up: I'd like to know what the secret unit is. Use spoiler tags for people who are that way >.>

I am not familiar with what Secret Unit means, I have looked through all of the unit charts in the guide and didn't see anything out of the ordinary

caglejsc
Sep 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
So cool. Hey if your got a few seconds what does the United Front social policy do? It's under the order tree.

I think that's the only one we lack.

Marshall Thomas
Sep 15, 2010, 11:51 PM
What do you think that "-1 culture from the Eygptian tomb" represents historically? Why minus one culture, other than game balance?

homan1983
Sep 15, 2010, 11:53 PM
mate... im persian and i kept waiting for you to get to persia... you do most and then stop at them... GHAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

please could u at least let me know what their UB does?

edit: I'd also like to know if jaguar warrior is just 50% bonus in jungle or is it jungle/forest like the Iroquois UU. Because I can't imagine jungles would be THAAAAAT common, which would really suck - making their bonus just be +2 life per kill... much less interesting; especially since they only have 1 UU.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 15, 2010, 11:58 PM
Is there by any chance any detailed information about the various difficulty levels, and how the AI scales in resource bonuses / intelligence?

Not much, but then no prior purchased guide ever really has, the best thing i have ever seen for this was dj anion's BTS guide posted in pdf on this website, best described as a companion more than a guide as it has all the importand hard numbers for BTS. I really want him to make the same thing for CIV V, so everyone bug him till he does!!!:satan:

CleverFool
Sep 15, 2010, 11:59 PM
Thanks kindly for posting the information TC. Most interesting thing so far for me is how many UB's don't overwrite another building. Seems like they really could add a lot compared to UU's, especially if their effect lasts throughout most of the game. Instead of having a more powerful unit for one age, you have a slightly more subtle force over your entire history!

Lap
Sep 16, 2010, 12:01 AM
What do you think that "-1 culture from the Eygptian tomb" represents historically? Why minus one culture, other than game balance?

It can be argued that the tombs weren't built as places of worship like most other temples are.

King Jason
Sep 16, 2010, 12:02 AM
I foresee Iriqious being productive powerhouses... Longhouse + lumbermills, plop cities by huge swaths of forests and they'll be greatly defendable by your armies as well.

I also like how apparently, forests function as roads for trade routes too.. Which I imagine means you could place a city on one end of a forest, while having another city on the opposite end... and you wouldn't need to build a road for any reason; saving worker turns AND upkeep.

I like their SA.

DalekDavros
Sep 16, 2010, 12:04 AM
Ah, so that's what the achievement

Arab Trader
Trade a luxury resource to another Civ that you earned through a city with a Bazaar.

was talking about. The Bazaar sounds interesting, especially as it further separates the warmongers vs. the peacemongers: a building that provides absolutely no benefit, unless you play nice with the neighbors (in which case it sounds like it'll be awesome).

caglejsc
Sep 16, 2010, 12:05 AM
Other player's city-state influence pointsdecrease 33% faster

Thanks! ;)

homan1983
Sep 16, 2010, 12:08 AM

Any chance of finding what Satrapís Court - Persian Unique Building does?

I'd appreciate it.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 12:11 AM
mate... im persian and i kept waiting for you to get to persia... you do most and then stop at them... GHAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

please could u at least let me know what their UB does?

edit: I'd also like to know if jaguar warrior is just 50% bonus in jungle or is it jungle/forest like the Iroquois UU. Because I can't imagine jungles would be THAAAAAT common, which would really suck - making their bonus just be +2 life per kill... much less interesting; especially since they only have 1 UU.

O.K. but only because you are in agony! Persian UB is Satrap's Court, replaces bank, +25% gold like bank but adds +2 happiness empire wide.

Jaguar is 50% jungle only, no forest bonus

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 12:14 AM
O.K. logging off, I'll get those last 5 civs to you tomorrow

Numi
Sep 16, 2010, 12:18 AM
I thought i recall Greg or someone else at 2k saying the Guide doesnt come out til the 21st with the game?

"Hey guys, I just checked in to this and the street date for the strategy guide is the 21st of September. I don't know why so many retailers have the wrong date listed, but I wouldn't expect to actually get it until then at the earliest."

From: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=377065&page=2

Slinko
Sep 16, 2010, 12:20 AM
ltarmstrong, thanks.

homan1983
Sep 16, 2010, 12:21 AM
ok thank you mate.... not your fault but the UB of persia is soooooooo bad lol.

I can't begin to imagine how +2 happy at a stage when banks are made is supposed to compete with things like the paper maker which gives +50% science from population and +4 coins or the longhouse +1 hammer per forest or even the the floating garden +15% food +2food from lakes (biased start gonna guarantee a starting lake?)

vaugula
Sep 16, 2010, 12:21 AM
So cool. Hey if your got a few seconds what does the United Front social policy do? It's under the order tree.

I think that's the only one we lack.We are missing the Nationalism policy as well.

jagdtigerciv
Sep 16, 2010, 12:27 AM
This was awesome. Thanks so much. I'll definitely be checking in tomorrow.

As for the Janissary UU, i'm assuming the +25% bonus when attacking is something inherent to all Musketmen or is it an added bonus to Janissaries? Any thoughts anyone?

12agnar0k
Sep 16, 2010, 12:30 AM
homan, a bank that gives extra happiness (the building has no maintenance either) is nothing to sniff at. It will be as useful as egypts burial tombs, all be it a bit later.

I'm fairly sure he said unique to Janissaries, and yeah it is pretty cool, it makes them get to instantly heal more :P.

DalekDavros
Sep 16, 2010, 12:31 AM

+2 happy per city that early in the game has the potential to be big, so I don't mind if it it comes with a downside than makes an already bad thing only slightly worse.

Plus, I don't plan on having my cities plundered anyhow. ;)

ShaqFu
Sep 16, 2010, 12:32 AM
If nothing else, I'm sure the Immortal will make you happy. :goodjob:

Numi
Sep 16, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'm confused why everyone just ignored my post reminding you what Greg said about the guides release date. -.- Until a pic of him/her holding the guide is posted I don't see why all of you would buy into what he/she is saying.

DalekDavros
Sep 16, 2010, 12:38 AM
keep an eye out on this one, may be an omision of replacement of library in the guide but the guide doesnt state that it is a library replacement were it does for other UBs

From http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_cities.html we have that the science advisor says:

"If we research Writing, we'll be able to construct the Paper Maker, the Library, and the National College in our cities. That's a lot of research buildings!"

Leads me to believe that you get both, which if true makes the Paper Maker a lot more useful.

Rome in a Day
Sep 16, 2010, 12:41 AM
BradyGames lists the guide as being available after Sept. 10, Numi. Follow the link he provided and see for yourself!

cccv
Sep 16, 2010, 12:42 AM
I'm confused why everyone just ignored my post reminding you what Greg said about the guides release date. -.- Until a pic of him/her holding the guide is posted I don't see why all of you would buy into what he/she is saying.

Well, for one thing if he's making crap up he's doing a good job making it sound realistic. For another he posted the link to the product that says it ships in 24 hours.

j51
Sep 16, 2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks ltarmstron3!

Just throwin' this out there to everyone: What's a Satrap have to do with banking?

Numi
Sep 16, 2010, 12:55 AM
What I'm saying is, look at MY link up the page a little, the guide has been known about being listed for the 10th since august...and Greg HIMSELF said it was all wrong information on their part so don't quote me something that I already sent a link to of someone who WORKS there disproving.

DalekDavros
Sep 16, 2010, 12:58 AM
ok thank you mate.... not your fault but the UB of persia is soooooooo bad lol.

I can't begin to imagine how +2 happy at a stage when banks are made is supposed to compete with things like the paper maker which gives +50% science from population and +4 coins or the longhouse +1 hammer per forest or even the the floating garden +15% food +2food from lakes (biased start gonna guarantee a starting lake?)

Combine it with a UA that gives 50% longer golden ages and I want all the excess happiness that I can get my hands on.

mikeg
Sep 16, 2010, 01:00 AM
I'm confused by the United Front policy. What happens if an AI picks up the policy - does your CS influence start degrading? If a second one adopts it, do you lose even more?
I guess we won't know till the game ships, but it seems like a strange one to me

Jaybe
Sep 16, 2010, 01:01 AM
"Hey guys, I just checked in to this and the street date for the strategy guide is the 21st of September. I don't know why so many retailers have the wrong date listed, but I wouldn't expect to actually get it until then at the earliest."

(Emphasis mine)
Depends on one's definition of street date. Could mean brick&mortar, not internet order. He got it via a GameStop (website?) express delivery order, but today my local GameStop said not until next week.

JonoLith
Sep 16, 2010, 01:02 AM
IROQUOIS
UU-Mohawk Warrior-replaces Swordsman-combat bonus in forest/jungle (50)
UB-Longhouse-replaces nothing-+1 production for each worked forest tile, additional engineer speciallist
Benifit-The Great Warpath-units in freindly territory move though forest and jungle s if the teeain had roads, these tiles count toward establishing trade routes

Overall, I'd say that this is a pretty major let down for me. I was really looking forward to a marauding style of play, and it seemed that the Iroquois were going to be the perfect Civ to do that.

I admit that they'll be quite economically sound, but the Mohawk Warrior is kind of a sad little unit that does a sad little thing next to any other Civ's units. It was clearly supposed to build upon the free movement in forests that the entire civ used to have before it was changed, but now it's just a Swordsmen that does well in trees.

*Sigh*

Looks like it's the Aztecs for me.

ShaqFu
Sep 16, 2010, 01:07 AM
I admit that they'll be quite economically sound, but the Mohawk Warrior is kind of a sad little unit that does a sad little thing next to any other Civ's units. It was clearly supposed to build upon the free movement in forests that the entire civ used to have before it was changed, but now it's just a Swordsmen that does well in trees.

You do realize that a 50% bonus in trees (where it wants to be for the movement/defensive bonuses) makes it nearly as strong as a Longswordsman, 2000 years earlier? If your enemy wants to stop your Mohawks, he'll have to meet you in forests, where you'll rush through towards his cities - and where you'll soundly beat him.

Civ5 combat is going to be about smart maneuvering. God help the civ going up against a capable Iroquois warmonger.

krunsh
Sep 16, 2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks a lot! Very interesting, I'll go chek tommorow if it's available in montreal but I doubt that.

Numi
Sep 16, 2010, 01:15 AM
(Emphasis mine)
Depends on one's definition of street date. Could mean brick&mortar, not internet order. He got it via a GameStop (website?) express delivery order, but today my local GameStop said not until next week.

I just don't understand how so many people are blindly listening to this guy who zomg happens to know the pages?! and the dimensions of paper?! It's like everyone in this thread <<snip>> don't question a single thing that's going on. Scans aren't legal but a pic of him/her with the book is. If he/she produces one then I guess I'm just a skeptical <<snip>>.

Language warning, and please don't insult other members.

V. Soma
Sep 16, 2010, 01:22 AM
I just don't understand how so many people are blindly listening to this guy who zomg happens to know the pages?! and the dimensions of paper?! It's like everyone in this thread <<snip>> don't question a single thing that's going on. Scans aren't legal but a pic of him/her with the book is. If he/she produces one then I guess I'm just a skeptical <<snip>>.

I am optimistic about the people here at CFC :)
BTW, what much use would it be to lie to us here - so close to release date?

And if he fools us, I don't care either - so close to release day ;)

EmpireOfCats
Sep 16, 2010, 01:23 AM
Hey, I'm skeptical, too, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss this. So far, it seems believable -- nothing like "enables spearmen to beat tanks" -- and as long as you remember the sourcing is questionable (no offence), there is no reason not to talk about it.

It would be nice, while we're at it, for Firaxis to finally put the Civilpedia online. We know it's huge, we know it's done, and that way, we could spend the weekend reading and planing. And it's raining like hell here.

ShaqFu
Sep 16, 2010, 01:25 AM
If this is all made up, he's done an impressive job of looking for every piece of information out there, compiling it, and making things up that align astonishingly well with what's already known. Awful lot of work just to put one over CFC. ;)

chaotoroboto
Sep 16, 2010, 01:27 AM
I'm confused by the United Front policy. What happens if an AI picks up the policy - does your CS influence start degrading? If a second one adopts it, do you lose even more?
I guess we won't know till the game ships, but it seems like a strange one to me

I'm using the Emancipation Civic from 4 as a conceptual guideline, and I think it means that once someone adopts the policy, everyone else's CSI degrades faster. So to avoid that penalty, you have to adopt that policy.

That's a nifty way to do it.

12agnar0k
Sep 16, 2010, 01:34 AM
If this is all made up, he's done an impressive job of looking for every piece of information out there, compiling it, and making things up that align astonishingly well with what's already known. Awful lot of work just to put one over CFC. ;)

Indeed, half of what he is posting is known information and indeed correct, but it is helpful, he has shown a few unknown things, and I think its ironic that the only person to doubt his word that he has the strategy guide, (which is obvious he does) is someone with 12 posts, and what we are supposed to believe you over him, "no reputation" indeed, who are you to judge that mr 12. Which incidentally was my fathers name.

Jonolith is more reputable than you numi, so please keep those thoughts to yourself. Anyone can see that he is telling the truth by correlating his posts on the UU/UB/UA's with known information, of which we know most of it.
Trolling

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 01:55 AM

Gamestop says "shipping now".

SevenSpirits
Sep 16, 2010, 02:19 AM
For UUs/UBs that don't replace anything, can you please tell us the prerequisite tech? I think this is just Paper Maker and Longhouse so far. Thanks!

I personally would also appreciate an exact comparison of the paper maker and library.

stealth_nsk
Sep 16, 2010, 02:33 AM
For UUs/UBs that don't replace anything, can you please tell us the prerequisite tech? I think this is just Paper Maker and Longhouse so far.

Paper Maker is available with Writing - we know it from adviser quote.

Numi
Sep 16, 2010, 02:33 AM
Indeed, half of what he is posting is known information and indeed correct, but it is helpful, he has shown a few unknown things, and I think its ironic that the only person to doubt his word that he has the strategy guide, (which is obvious he does) is someone with 12 posts, and what we are supposed to believe you over him, "no reputation" indeed, who are you to judge that mr 12. Which incidentally was my fathers name.

Jonolith is more reputable than you numi, so please keep those thoughts to yourself. Anyone can see that he is telling the truth by correlating his posts on the UU/UB/UA's with known information, of which we know most of it.

Wow ok are you serious? Your logic is so flawed it is just ridiculous. And you judging my skepticism of someone who has shown no real proof of anything to be faulty because I've only joined recently is completely absurd. What do you mean the world is round? Scientists and Holy-men alike have already explained that it is flat. Lack of skepticism leads to some pretty stupid places. So even if I am wrong, which I may be, I am still right in my claim that without any real evidence there's no reason to believe someone who takes mostly things we know and sprinkles in fairy dust in places we are unsure of.

Vodos
Sep 16, 2010, 02:40 AM
Wow ok are you serious? Your logic is so flawed it is just ridiculous. And you judging my skepticism of someone who has shown no real proof of anything to be faulty because I've only joined recently is completely absurd. What do you mean the world is round? Scientists and Holy-men alike have already explained that it is flat. Lack of skepticism leads to some pretty stupid places. So even if I am wrong, which I may be, I am still right in my claim that without any real evidence there's no reason to believe someone who takes mostly things we know and sprinkles in fairy dust in places we are unsure of.
Are YOU serious? Is the concept of breaking street dates really that new to you? :crazyeye:
Hint: it happens for every game release. There's absolutely no reason to doubt that he has the guide, especially this close to the official release.

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 02:48 AM
Are YOU serious? Is the concept of breaking street dates really that new to you? :crazyeye:
Hint: it happens for every game release. There's absolutely no reason to doubt that he has the guide, especially this close to the official release.

In fact, Gamestop even states they are shipping it now.

V. Soma
Sep 16, 2010, 02:58 AM
C'mon, guys, get over this, let's keep peace.

Numi has the right to be skeptical, it is his/her own business.

Evereybody treats OP and thread info as seriously as s/he wishes...

Moving on...

DalekDavros
Sep 16, 2010, 03:01 AM
Lack of skepticism leads to some pretty stupid places.

So does excess of skepticism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhonism). The point of skepticism is to evaluate evidence critically, not to deny everything. The claims fit within the existing body of knowledge, are backed up by a claim by the site to be shipping the guide (which is of a more certain nature than the same claim was in the pre-order period), and is of such a nature that lying would involve a lot of work with no real point. And to top it off, the penalty for being duped is essentially nonexistent. The only evidence to the contrary is that one employee of 2k Games commented on a release date of a product by Brady Games describing a product developed by Firaxis... lots of room for communication error there. Occam's razor leads me to provisionally accept it. Your counterargument is noted and, in concurrence with Mill's argument that a healthy society should be exposed to all viewpoints, I congratulate you in making it. Now how about leaving this thread to discussion of the material presented?

Wuddel
Sep 16, 2010, 03:06 AM
Thanks ltarmstrong3.

India
IROQUOIS
UU-Mohawk Warrior-replaces Swordsman-combat bonus in forest/jungle (50)
UB-Longhouse-replaces nothing-+1 production for each worked forest tile, additional engineer speciallist
Benifit-The Great Warpath-units in freindly territory move though forest and jungle s if the teeain had roads, these tiles count toward establishing trade routes

Wow. The Longhouse seems to be super powerfull. So you basically never want to chop down Forest on grassland, hum. And when you add lumber mill Iroquois cities will become production beasts. Plus you save gold on road upkeep.

lietkynes
Sep 16, 2010, 03:32 AM
I really like India unique ability, very well thought :)

V. Soma
Sep 16, 2010, 03:33 AM
with all these UU UB and special abilities - I welcome this versatility of the civs...
real replay value, I guess

:)

Shurdus
Sep 16, 2010, 04:34 AM
Welcome to civfanatics, Vodos! :beer:

ErichRommel
Sep 16, 2010, 04:51 AM
So what about the remaining Civs?

lymond
Sep 16, 2010, 05:13 AM
Hmmm...the Camel Archer is interesting. I don't quite know what to make of it. The ability to have a highly mobile ranged unit is intriguing and may offer some interesting strategic and tactical options in battle - including a hit and run tactic. However, I'm not sure what to make of a mounted unit that can't attack directly. Just not sure how strong the range aspect is but if you have quite a few CAs you might be able to do a lot of damage with few losses. Reminds of of the Byzantine/Middle Eastern mounted archer units in Medieval Total War with their circle formations.

I'm also interested to know how some of these UU bonuses work. For instance, the Aztec Jags get the jungle attack bonus not unlike CIV4. However, in CIV4 this "bonus" was actually a free promo that carried forward with upgrades. Jungle attack is fairly weak IMO. At least in CIV4 the promo included forests as well.

What will units like a Crossbow upgrade to next? Does it remain a ranged unit at the next level?

SalmonSoil
Sep 16, 2010, 05:14 AM
When your finished can you pop over to MrGameTheory's thread and tell him how wrong he is?

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 05:15 AM
I'm willing to bet my right hand and my first born that the paper maker replaces the library. It does everything the library does, plus a little more and comes at the same time.

Its millions of times more likely that there is a mistake in the guide than firaxis would give a civ effectively a +50% science bonus for the early game. Specially one which already has a solid UU and an average or above average UA. Same for the longhouse, I'm sure it replaces something else.

Vodos
Sep 16, 2010, 05:32 AM
Welcome to civfanatics, Vodos! :beer:
5 years late but thanks!

I agree with Lord Olleus, two civs getting additional buildings seems unlikely.

stealth_nsk
Sep 16, 2010, 05:32 AM
I'm willing to bet my right hand and my first born that the paper maker replaces the library. It does everything the library does, plus a little more and comes at the same time.

Its millions of times more likely that there is a mistake in the guide than firaxis would give a civ effectively a +50% science bonus for the early game. Specially one which already has a solid UU and an average or above average UA. Same for the longhouse, I'm sure it replaces something else.

From Arioch's analysis:

If we research Writing, we'll be able to construct the Paper Maker, the Library, and the National College in our cities. That's a lot of research buildings!

I suggested that it's the typo and "Great" is missed before "Library", but independent paper maker is even more logical. Also Longhouse doesn't look like anything else.

I just think the civ's abilities aren't that good, so they got additional building bonus.

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 05:36 AM
Longhouse could replace monument so that its available from the start; or possibly barracks so that you have to wait a little to get it.

Feyd Rautha
Sep 16, 2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks ltarmstrong3.

Wow. The Longhouse seems to be super powerfull. So you basically never want to chop down Forest on grassland, hum. And when you add lumber mill Iroquois cities will become production beasts. Plus you save gold on road upkeep.
Thanks from me as well.

As for the Longhouse, it is indeed an interesting UB, and from my point of view historically appropriate. If you want to do your best to take advantage of forests, then you have a great production value, but from everything I've seen so far, the old rules still apply and your commerce rate is going to be rather low. Therefore, if you play to your unique strengths you wind up in a situation like the Iroquois were when the European settlers arrived. Behind in the tech race and hosed when the war starts.

stealth_nsk
Sep 16, 2010, 05:49 AM
Longhouse could replace monument so that its available from the start; or possibly barracks so that you have to wait a little to get it.

Yes, but it doesn't seem to have any of these bonuses.
Anyway, we'll have to wait to the actual game to see. I think there's nothing impossible in unique buildings not replacing anything.

Tomice
Sep 16, 2010, 05:55 AM
Thanks ltarmstrong3 !!!

I'd be great if you filled the gaps on Ariochs page regarding the SPs. I really appreciate your effort, as I know it can be a burden to post all the info here.

stealth_nsk
Sep 16, 2010, 06:00 AM
I'd be great if you filled the gaps on Ariochs page regarding the SPs. I really appreciate your effort, as I know it can be a burden to post all the info here.

Aren't they filled yet?

Palance
Sep 16, 2010, 06:16 AM
Still missing Nationalism

grant2004
Sep 16, 2010, 06:24 AM
Very cool. Thanks for all the great info. China just moved up a couple slots of my list of Civs to try early.

Once you're finished with the UUs/UBs could you reveal the effects of the unknown policy trees? That would be very useful info.

12agnar0k
Sep 16, 2010, 06:48 AM
Lack of skepticism leads to some pretty stupid places

I'm skeptical that you aren't simply a jealous X-Girlfriend of the op and are just here to bash his civ5 strategy guide because he decided he would spend his night reading it instead of coating you with oils and massaging your back.
Emphasis on the X part because he dumped you after you trash talked him.

The op has more of a reputation than you, your new here as you admit, so how do you know what reputation he has, and what makes you think that you are in any shape or form in the position to judge his reputation. Thank you for your X-Girlfriend jealousys but in future if all you want to do is express your Skepticism, then do so without all the flaming and you might get a reply that treats you with some respect. But as it stands now, you have no right to accuse other members of lying, its against forum rules. If you don't want to believe that the op has the holy strategy guide, then thats entirely your choice, no one here will try to force sensiblity onto you, go about your ways now squire. The tavern is closed now, *ding* last orders ladies and gentlemen.

12agnar0k
Sep 16, 2010, 06:52 AM
I'm willing to bet my right hand and my first born that the paper maker replaces the library.

First born eh, okay, I'll put up everything in my pocket, three pence, a bottle cap, and some dust, (I don't actually have anything but dust in my pockets :*(, buying Civ5 is expensive)
Its a bet!, I hope I win!, I've always wanted to be a dad.

Emstinson
Sep 16, 2010, 06:59 AM
with all these UU UB and special abilities - I welcome this versatility of the civs...
real replay value, I guess

:)

And this right here is why the sub topic of this thread, skepticism, should be getting closer to being over for this game. Really we all just want to know that replay value will remain high and that we can spend years bragging about our games at work while the other people talk about reality tv shows.....

12agnar0k
Sep 16, 2010, 07:12 AM
No, thats not what I want to know, I already know that will be the case, this is Civ, its going to be replayable. I think I can say with confidence, most of us are here just to get every little tid bit of information we can to crave our addiction to Civ as we wait the ardous and infinite 5 day wait for release. We could play Civ4 BTS instead, but it just wouldn't be the same. That would be comparable to someone needing a fix for heroin being offered some weed, well at least thats what I hear, I don't do any drug other than Civ, I'm a loyal customer Frixasis, Please don't "whack" me.

SammyKhalifa
Sep 16, 2010, 07:35 AM
It's interesting that almost every unit and every building seems super powerful, so that in previous Civs the "uniqueness" of each civ seems like just flavor in comparison.

Evocatus
Sep 16, 2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for an informative and entertaining thread.

Mannu
Sep 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
I wonder if forests will still spread to unimproved tiles?

Emstinson
Sep 16, 2010, 08:42 AM
indeed, trees do tend to grow over thousands of years.... Yeah Ragnarok, I agree, the forums are here to get me to our D-Day as well. I just downloaded the FFH 2 mod maybe two months ago and have been playing the scenarios to pass the time. I can't play regular BTS games either!!! I'm even leaning towards picking a civ as opposed to going random like I did for every previous civ game ever. you guys have all been very influential! (Set that as a personal leader trait for each of you.)

Emstinson
Sep 16, 2010, 08:46 AM
I just love my office job, my best buddy and I talk about our BTS conquests while all these women go on and on about their sons and their lame tv shows.... and thanks to the OP for this info, hopefully your rest has relaxed your fingers for a few hours of typing for us today, I'm getting bored here at work!!! =-)

Disgustipated
Sep 16, 2010, 08:53 AM
No, thats not what I want to know, I already know that will be the case, this is Civ, its going to be replayable. I think I can say with confidence, most of us are here just to get every little tid bit of information we can to crave our addiction to Civ as we wait the ardous and infinite 5 day wait for release. We could play Civ4 BTS instead, but it just wouldn't be the same. That would be comparable to someone needing a fix for heroin being offered some weed, well at least thats what I hear, I don't do any drug other than Civ, I'm a loyal customer Frixasis, Please don't "whack" me.

I haven't been able to play civ4 either. Even though I never did get a chance to play several highly rated mods. I don't think I'm done with civ4, however. I'll probably get back to it when I get bored of civ5.

I'm unable to devote any time to playing games at all. I don't want the emotional investment in something I won't "finish".

So until then, I'll waste time here. I wish they had more gameplay video available.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 08:59 AM

here it is for any non-believers.
just think if you would have ordered it monday 9-13 you coulda had it yesterday like me!
really it is shipping right now from gamesstop's website with overnight delivery option, if you order right now it could make it to you by the weekend!

Stuie
Sep 16, 2010, 09:01 AM
here it is for any non-believers

Pfft - that hand looks photoshopped. :lol:

Thanks for sharing the info ltarmstrong3. Most of us appreciate it. :)

PieceOfMind
Sep 16, 2010, 09:01 AM
The discussing of other members, including things like "reputation" and postcount, will attract infractions from here on.

stealth_nsk
Sep 16, 2010, 09:02 AM
here it is for any non-believers

Thank you for your time and great info!

marioflag
Sep 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
Itarm can you give us info about the following wonders which there is no info yet?

-Big Ben
-Sydney Opera House
-Himeji Castle
-Louvre Museum
-Pentagon
-Taj Mahal

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 09:04 AM
Pfft - that hand looks photoshopped. :lol:

Thanks for sharing the info ltarmstrong3. Most of us appreciate it. :)

Yes, thanks very much ltarmstrong3. Any info you can fill in for Arioch's great site would be much appreceated.

Wuddel
Sep 16, 2010, 09:54 AM
I would like to add the Brandenburg Gate to the list of wonders without info. Please also go on with the civs. (Babylon?)

Thanks for sharing.

Disgustipated
Sep 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
here it is for any non-believers.
just think if you would have ordered it monday 9-13 you coulda had it yesterday like me!
really it is shipping right now from gamesstop's website with overnight delivery option, if you order right now it could make it to you by the weekend!

you have hairy arms. :D

Thanks for all the info so far. Very cool you got it in a day or two early.

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 10:06 AM
Sorry if it has already been revealed but what's the info on naval transport? Speed of units at sea? (+ does England get its bonus movement on them too?)

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 10:09 AM
Called my local Gamestop and the clerk said they shipped on the 14th so she is expecting them possibly in an hour with today's shipment.

If so, I will have it in hand in an hour. If not, I'll call a couple other Gamestops nearbye.

Ikael
Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 AM
First of all: massive thanks to OP for all the cool info!

Second: Me wants MOAR! So, ok, what about:

- Effects of buildings like windmill, watermill, obsrvatory, opera, broadcast tower, museum, forge, workshop, airport... and there are more unique buildings yet to be discovered (mud mosque, for example)
- Great people special improvements
- Great wonder bonuses (already mentioned here): Eiffel tower, statue of liberty, sixtine chappel, Angkor Wat... we dont know what do they do (yet)

kaltorak
Sep 16, 2010, 10:24 AM
If they would have told everybody that the guide would be out sooner than the game, they would have sold much more copies. Bad strategy

Dark_Jedi06
Sep 16, 2010, 10:29 AM
The Krepost looks absolutely bad ass...faster culture capture of hexes means less money spent on acquiring new tiles. Not to mention the storm of indomitable cossacks that will sweep out from behind my front lines and decimate the wounded enemy.

This all of course happens after I play as Germany and my super duper Panzers crush the enemy tanks and sweep the battlefield.

I love how unique and thought out each Civ is...I will definitely being playing as a wider variety of civilizations then I did in IV. :D

Edit: Mud Pyramid Mosque is still quite possibly the stupidest name I've heard, right next to Paper Maker. :p

cccv
Sep 16, 2010, 10:31 AM
UU#2-Legion-replaces Swordsman-costs 90 instead of 80,13 combat strength instead of 11.

Can they still build roads?

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 10:39 AM
Russia looks absolutely incredible. I admit that the Cossack is so-so (a bonus against wounded enemies isn't bad - its just that thats when you need a bonus the least!). The Krepost is by far the best UB out there. From screenshots it looks like cities culture expands fairly slowly, but Russia should gobble up huge amounts of territory very quickly. After a temple and a monument, Russian cities will grow faster than french cities who also have those two improvements, and this bonus becomes even better as the game goes on.

And Siberian riches has been discussed to death already but, IMO, if resources are at all important and restrict the size of your army then Russia will be incredible.

Krill
Sep 16, 2010, 10:40 AM
Russia V the US 1v1 anybody?

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
All the Civs are going to be interesting to play.

SammyKhalifa
Sep 16, 2010, 10:44 AM
Does the Aztec special ability work vs. barbs? If so their UU is perfect for pressing on for early culture/policies. I like the building, too.

Decimatus
Sep 16, 2010, 11:00 AM

You won't make it past the minutemen sir.

bhavv
Sep 16, 2010, 11:04 AM
I think America has better UUs than Russia, but Russia has a better UA and UB.

Also, America dont need to build anything for their -25% tile cost.

El Caballerion
Sep 16, 2010, 11:10 AM
Here are the last 5 civilizations in the guide:

PERSIA

UB-Statrap's Court-replaces Bank-adds +2 empire wides on top of all effects of bank

What do you mean by '+2 empire wides?'

Alsark
Sep 16, 2010, 11:11 AM

I'm guessing he meant empire-wide happiness.

Louis XXIV
Sep 16, 2010, 11:21 AM
That would mean +2 happiness per building empire wide, no? In that case, it's the same as just saying +2 happiness.

Diplomat32
Sep 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
Russia looks absolutely incredible. I admit that the Cossack is so-so (a bonus against wounded enemies isn't bad - its just that thats when you need a bonus the least!). The Krepost is by far the best UB out there. From screenshots it looks like cities culture expands fairly slowly, but Russia should gobble up huge amounts of territory very quickly. After a temple and a monument, Russian cities will grow faster than french cities who also have those two improvements, and this bonus becomes even better as the game goes on.

And Siberian riches has been discussed to death already but, IMO, if resources are at all important and restrict the size of your army then Russia will be incredible.

I agree that Russia looks awesome. I might just have to play them first. The cossack's bonus is clearly designed to make it a great unit when you need to finish off the enemy. The idea will be to hold back your cossacks in reserve, soften the enemy then charge in to wipe the enemy out. And it just occurred to me that the cossack bonus seems like the perfect counter to Japan's bushido ability. What better way to defeat an enemy that always fights at full strength than to be able to inflict extra damage when they are wounded!

remko
Sep 16, 2010, 11:24 AM
What is the bonus for adopting "order"?

krunsh
Sep 16, 2010, 11:28 AM
Wish I could find it, but it's not out in Montreal and I'm not willing to pay the shipping cost...

Russia is my favorite as always been my favorite civ (no matter the UU/UB) so I'm glad they are realy awesome this time... Much more than in Civ 4 and Civ rev.

Arkangelus
Sep 16, 2010, 11:31 AM
Minor note about the Russian UB - it requires maintanence. You wouldn't normally build barracks in every city (maybe), so getting a bonus out of it isn't as good as say, a temple replacement. It might also mean that you grab far more tiles than you can work, and likely to go through all the rubbish ones. Its excellent for flavour though - means that Russia will be big and empty!

Ahriman
Sep 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
It would be bizarre if the paper maker didn't replace the library. Biiig balance problem.

Krepost is very strong.
Sounds like the cossack should be paired with archers, which is a bit weird.

Can we confirm: do both legion and ballista require iron?
Does the Mech inf require aluminium or not?

12agnar0k
Sep 16, 2010, 11:39 AM

Deal, ill play russia, you can play the US, I don't get the game till the 24th, but if we can multiplayer this on the demo I could do that on the 21st :D.

Polobo
Sep 16, 2010, 11:39 AM
Minor note about the Russian UB - it requires maintanence. You wouldn't normally build barracks in every city (maybe), so getting a bonus out of it isn't as good as say, a temple replacement. It might also mean that you grab far more tiles than you can work, and likely to go through all the rubbish ones. Its excellent for flavour though - means that Russia will be big and empty!

Also pretty sure that barracks and armory both require iron. Now, with Siberian Riches this is not that big a drawback but it still limits its usefulness.

Churchdown Yank
Sep 16, 2010, 11:40 AM

And does the Naresuan's Elephant need ivory?

Ahriman
Sep 16, 2010, 11:41 AM
Also pretty sure that barracks and armory both require iron
Really? Woah, that would be a huge difference. Do we have a source for that? I've only seen that as total speculation.

Churchdown Yank
Sep 16, 2010, 11:43 AM
Also pretty sure that barracks and armory both require iron. Now, with Siberian Riches this is not that big a drawback but it still limits its usefulness.

Barracks requires iron to build?? Surely not... Where's that info from?

12agnar0k
Sep 16, 2010, 11:43 AM

It was confirmed that legion and ballista's use iron I believe.
Was it not also confirmed that mech inf take up aluminium?

I for one like the songhai Knight's bonus vs cities, that with triple gold from plundering them, you will need to keep an eye out for hordes of Songhai Cavalry, because they may very well swoop in and burn down some cities before retreating and going after another prey!, The dastardly gits!

Zhahz
Sep 16, 2010, 11:45 AM
You leave me no choice...

...but to go check the GameStop around the corner during lunch to see if they have this. Ug!

Actually...there are probably 5 or more GameStops within 5 miles of my house. Phoenix is a retail onslaught. Yikes.

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 11:47 AM
Barracks can't possibly require iron - they become avaliable with bronze working which is before you discover iron!

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 11:48 AM
Just got my copy of the strat guide also. I believe if you've got a Gamestop near you you'll be able to snag a copy. I can answer a few questions over lunch but then will probably have to wait until tonight.

Don't see a wonder list but social policies, buildings and units are detailed out.

edit: I did find wonders detailed on page 134.

Schalke 04
Sep 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
I am very interested in the happiness system.

How many :) you get per difficulty level
How many :) will be provided by natural wonders

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 11:49 AM
Barracks can't possibly require iron - they become avaliable with bronze working which is before you discover iron!

They don't.
80 hammers
+15 xp for all land unti
Prereq Bronze.

Cyberian
Sep 16, 2010, 11:53 AM
please info on wonders, how much production bonus does marble give to wonder production (that it does was confirmed in gregs demonstration)?

exact stats of

Stonehenge
Oracle
Great Library
Great Lighthouse

please

remko
Sep 16, 2010, 11:53 AM
does the guide tell us what all the missions are what a citystate can give you?
and if so what are they?

Dark_Jedi06
Sep 16, 2010, 11:57 AM

Haha a-doh! :lol:

caglejsc
Sep 16, 2010, 12:00 PM
Do you have a guide rastak?

moysturfurmer
Sep 16, 2010, 12:01 PM
Wait so do minutemen get their bonus everywhere or just within their own empire?

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:02 PM
Happiness it says:

At it's most generous 15 is the start. On high settings 9.

Each citizen costs 1 unhappy. Cities cost 2. Ghandi excepted of course.

iop
Sep 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
Is there anything about social policy cost progression?

Schalke 04
Sep 16, 2010, 12:04 PM
Happiness it says:

At it's most generous 15 is the start. On high settings 9.

Each citizen costs 1 unhappy. Cities cost 2. Ghandi excepted of course.

Thank you very much! :goodjob:

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:05 PM
Is there anything about social policy cost progression?

Not finding it, but will keep looking.

SomethingWitty
Sep 16, 2010, 12:06 PM
How about some more Natural Wonders info?

Seek
Sep 16, 2010, 12:06 PM
Pleasepleaseplease: what are the remaining unknown Social Policies?

Krill
Sep 16, 2010, 12:08 PM
Cities have to be size 2 before they can build settlers, right?

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:09 PM

what are they?

moysturfurmer
Sep 16, 2010, 12:09 PM
Wait so do minutemen get their bonus everywhere or just within their own empire?

Oh, and i don't suppose the guide says anything about the super secret unit does it?

Seek
Sep 16, 2010, 12:11 PM
what are they?

Both in the Order branch: Nationalism, and the unlock for the tree itself.
Thanks!:king:

Krill
Sep 16, 2010, 12:11 PM
Deal, ill play russia, you can play the US, I don't get the game till the 24th, but if we can multiplayer this on the demo I could do that on the 21st :D.

I don't get it until the 24th as well, if I do buy it (which isn't certain). And I'm working 12 hour shifts again starting the 23th after a month on vacation...Badly timed, it seems. Or perfectly timed to stop me playing for 24 hours straight like I did when WiC got released.

But that sort of game looks to be a fun little side game, anyway.

Schalke 04
Sep 16, 2010, 12:12 PM
what are they?

I checked out http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_cities.html#social_policies

It looks like all policies are known but one:

United Front (Order) ist still missing

EDIT: yea, seek is right. We don't know which promotion one gets for Nationalism, and the bonus for Order itself is missing as well.

stealth_nsk
Sep 16, 2010, 12:14 PM

They are all known.
http://well-of-souls.com/civ/

caglejsc
Sep 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
Cities have to be size 2 before they can build settlers, right?

This was confirmed in the live playthrough with Greg

Seek
I checked out http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_cities.html#social_policies

It looks like all policies are known but one:

United Front (Order) ist still missing

EDIT: yea, seek is right. We don't know which promotion one gets for Nationalism, and the bonus for Order itself is missing as well.

United Front was answered on page 3 of this thread by ltarmstrong3:

Other player's city-state influence points decrease 33% faster

EDIT: ninja'd. And @Stealth, they're all known except the ones that aren't known.:crazyeye:

dpaajones
Info on embarked units (i.e. the naval transports) please! Speed (and if English bonus applies) specifically!

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
Info on embarked units (i.e. the naval transports) please! Speed (and if English bonus applies) specifically!

Yes, it says embarked units get the bonus.

Polobo
Sep 16, 2010, 12:18 PM
They don't.
80 hammers
+15 xp for all land unti
Prereq Bronze.

Maybe it is just the Armory then; I agree it doesn't make sense for Barracks.

Palance
Sep 16, 2010, 12:20 PM
Both in the Order branch: Nationalism, and the unlock for the tree itself.
Thanks!:king:

:this:

These are still missing.

Seek
Sep 16, 2010, 12:23 PM
heroic epic

100 hammers
culture 1
adds 15% morale bonus to all units constructred in this cirt. requires barracks or krepost in all cities
prereq: iron working

I thought morale was out?

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:25 PM
I thought morale was out?

Almost looks like it's really a strength bonus but it does say morale in the book.

Palance
Sep 16, 2010, 12:27 PM
Order +25% construction rate of buildings
Nationalism +25% attack bonus in friendly territory

Is that what you were looking for?

Yes, thank you :)

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:27 PM
Spcial policies:

They talk about Autocracy and Liberty...

If you invest in one and then want to switch you endure a few turns of anarchy. You end up wasting the policies you invested in...

(seems to imply you completely lose the investment)

Seek
Sep 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
Order +25% construction rate of buildings
Nationalism +25% attack bonus in friendly territory

Is that what you were looking for?

Thank you!
:goodjob:

moysturfurmer
Does it have the unit art for ancient/classical barb units? Do they look cool?

rastak
Ok, back to work.....may try to answer some questions.....I'll be around this evening if there is anything left to ask! I am guessing others will get the guide today.

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, it says embarked units get the bonus.

:goodjob: :king:

Feyd Rautha
Sep 16, 2010, 12:31 PM
Ooo... I was thinking they'd add something like that (the anarchy for social policy switch).

That's a decision you need to make early too... Why would I adopt liberty if I'm going to be a late game warmonger (aka Germany). Honor and Autocracy for me thanks!

Krill
Sep 16, 2010, 12:34 PM
So, on the meanest difficulty level, you can't get 3 cities without going unhappy, unless you find some other sources of happiness...some of which you can simply find by exploring. And there are 17 happy res, I hope that they are all available early in the game (like, first 3-4 cheap techs in) instead of having to wait 150 turns before you can use them.

Churchdown Yank
Sep 16, 2010, 12:43 PM
Ok, back to work.....may try to answer some questions.....I'll be around this evening if there is anything left to ask! I am guessing others will get the guide today.

Hey! *shouts out the door as rastak leaves* Bring back some tacos too - and beer. We're out of beer here!

SammyKhalifa
Sep 16, 2010, 12:44 PM
National wonders:

National college
100 hammers
culture 1
adds 50% to this cities science output, must have library or paper maker in all cities
pre req writing

Paper maker must replace the library, same verbage appears for a "barracks or krepost"

Modiga-Disabled
Sep 16, 2010, 12:45 PM
Does it say anything about Napoleon's personality? I'm sure I heard he favours land battles and I'm trying to find something that backs that up.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
does anyone know if uranium can replace oil at all? Or nuclear fissian allow carriers?

From what i can see uranium cannot replace oil.
The only military units i can see uranium/nuclear fission supporting are Atomic Bomb, Nuclear Missle (with Advanced Ballistics), & Giant Death Robot

PinkRose
Sep 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
Is the Strategy Guide worth buying?
Obviously while we are waiting it is invaluable. But after Tuesday, is there any information in there that won't be in the game or on-line?

Thanks.
First time Poster. Long time lurker, like 5 years long.

stealth_nsk
Sep 16, 2010, 12:49 PM
Paper maker must replace the library, same verbage appears for a "barracks or krepost"

Yes. There could be a mistake somewhere, but not sure where :)

One of my guesses is what Paper maker was initially designed as Library replacement, but after game designers figured out what China isn't that powerful, they separated it. In this case actually there could be no mistake at all.

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
Does it say anything about Napoleon's personality? I'm sure I heard he favours land battles and I'm trying to find something that backs that up.

I guess I lied and didn't leave yet (to the other dude, beer and tacos sound great).

The guide says:
Napoleon is a good leader for people want to push peacfully or defensively through the first few eras and then explode into a more agressive and expansionistic empire after reaching renaissance or industrial.

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
Is the Strategy Guide worth buying?
Obviously while we are waiting it is invaluable. But after Tuesday, is there any information in there that won't be in the game or on-line?

Thanks.
First time Poster. Long time lurker, like 5 years long.

Well, it has lots of stats and seems like a great read before the game comes out. Probably not needed after the game comes out. It's very nicely laid out though.

Modiga-Disabled
Sep 16, 2010, 12:53 PM
I guess I lied and didn't leave yet (to the other dude, beer and tacos sound great).

The guide says:
Napoleon is a good leader for people want to push peacfully or defensively through the first few eras and then explode into a more agressive and expansionistic empire after reaching renaissance or industrial.

Thanks!

bhavv
Sep 16, 2010, 12:54 PM
National college
100 hammers
culture 1
adds 50% to this cities science output, must have library or paper maker in all cities
pre req writing

Confirmation that paper maker replaces the library.

Babri
Sep 16, 2010, 12:56 PM
India
UB-Mughal Fort-replaces Castle-costs 4 to maintane instead of 2, 2 culture compared to none, added bonus is that it provides gold after flight is researched

:goodjob: I am very happy to hear that. I am looking forward to have a Mughal civ in the future. :cool:

Krill
Sep 16, 2010, 12:57 PM
Not really proof...it just means that as China, you need a lib or paper maker in a city before it can build the NC.

Common Sensei
Sep 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
America UU#1-Minuteman-replaces musketmen-all tiles only cost 1 movement

Would this be in addition to their friendly territory strength bonus? If so, does this movement only function in friendly territory as well?

destructobunny
Sep 16, 2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the info. My gamespot didnt have the guide yet. :rolleyes:

I am not sure if this was already know, but I think that some wonders requiring all cities to have a certain building to be an interesting mechanic. If you are expanding constantly, you will have trouble building wonders.

Question: When a foreign city is taken, does it lose all of its buildings? This may have already been answered. I always hated how in civ 4 I had to rebuild everything in a conquered city. At the very least, a certain percent should survive the war.

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 01:15 PM
Balista needs iron but catapult doesnt?
Ouch, seems like a pretty big nerf for Rome. Also means that only ancient/classical unit that requires iron is the swordsman. Hmm, I'm a bit disappointed with this; seems like deciding between cats and swords would have made for interesting gameplay.

muhtesem insan
Sep 16, 2010, 01:17 PM
after this thread i feel like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTts-iGixU

bjbrains
Sep 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
Balista needs iron but catapult doesnt?
Ouch, seems like a pretty big nerf for Rome. Also means that only ancient/classical unit that requires iron is the swordsman. Hmm, I'm a bit disappointed with this; seems like deciding between cats and swords would have made for interesting gameplay.
I'm pretty certain the guide is wrong on that point. Trebuchets definitely require iron. I'm fairly certain it's been said that catapults do to.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 01:23 PM
So I guess paper maker offsets China's bad unique ability

Also: Can you list the natural wonders? Let's see how many we end up with in the final game.

Also fill out the Order social policy if you can.

Natural Wonder List;

Krakatoa
Mt. Fuji
Old Fathful
Rock of Gebraltar
The Barringer Crater
The Grand Mesa
The Great Barrier Reef

so 7 in all it looks like

all natural wonder have the same properties of:
2 Production
3 Gold
Impassable Terrain

Order Social Policy tree is:
Order- +25% construction of all buildings
Communism- +5 production per city
Nationalism- +25% attack bonus when fighting in friendly terriitory
Planned Economy- -50% unhappiness from number of cities
Socialism- -33% gold maintenance cost of builings
United Front- Other players city-state influence points decrease 33% faster

moysturfurmer
Sep 16, 2010, 01:25 PM
Does the guide not mention Everest?

Can other civs vote for you for UN Sec General?

thungrim
Sep 16, 2010, 01:28 PM
United Front- Other players city-state influence points decrease 33% faster

Hmmmm.... I wonder what happens if multiple Civs achieve this? Will it stack? Are those who already have United Front immune to its effects when someone else gets it?

Tomice
Sep 16, 2010, 01:30 PM
Ballista requires Iron while Catapult has no required resource

I can hardly believe that. The ballista is not that much stronger to justify this IMO. To me it even sounds worse overall.

Not that I doubt your words, but I fear the guide has some mistakes in it...

EDIT: Proven wrong by above post, issue solved

destructobunny
Sep 16, 2010, 01:30 PM
after this thread i feel like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raTts-iGixU

I posted the same clip on a different thread.

"I have been waiting for this thing for months. Everyday time is slowing down. Its like waiting for Christmas...times a thousand."

"You will just have to be patient."

"NO...no....no." *dragged away*

caglejsc
Sep 16, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hmmmm.... I wonder what happens if multiple Civs achieve this? Will it stack? Are those who already have United Front immune to its effects when someone else gets it?

It's kinda scary. Is it to make a diplomatic victory harder for everyone else?

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
Do any of the city states have UUs, UAs or UBs??

Ahriman
Sep 16, 2010, 01:33 PM
No. City states have no properties except type (maritime, cultural, militarist), name and personality.

[And maybe cultural group, for building art.]

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 01:36 PM
No. City states have no properties except type (maritime, cultural, militarist), name and personality.

[And maybe cultural group, for building art.]

Ah right. A few weeks ago it was rumoured that militaristic city states might have their own UUs. Shame they don't... perhaps something that can be added to the game later?

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 01:38 PM
This was awesome. Thanks so much. I'll definitely be checking in tomorrow.

As for the Janissary UU, i'm assuming the +25% bonus when attacking is something inherent to all Musketmen or is it an added bonus to Janissaries? Any thoughts anyone?

from both the chart and the unit desriptions in the guide all i can see is that musketman have no abilities and Janissary's abilities are- "heal is destroy an enemy, combat bonus when attacking (25)"

coolhair
Sep 16, 2010, 01:40 PM
From the Strat Guide:
"Paper Makers are a unique Chinese version of the Library"

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 01:42 PM
Thanks for that coolhair and welcome to Civfanatics!!

6 years and 6 months between join date and first might be a record.

And I am very thankful that both my right hand and my first born are safe.

coolhair
Sep 16, 2010, 01:43 PM
Haha, forgot I joined way back in the day...

MisterBarca
Sep 16, 2010, 01:52 PM
Here are the last 5 civilizations in the guide:

PERSIA
UU-Imoratal-replaces Spearman-costs 60 instead of 50, combat strength 8 instead of 7, heals at double rate.
UB-Statrap's Court-replaces Bank-adds +2 empire wides on top of all effects of bank
Benifit-Achaemenid Legacy-golden age lasts 50% longer,during golden age all of your unit receive +1 movement and +10% to their combat strength.

ROME
UU#1-Ballista-replaces Catapult- 18 ranged combat strength instead of 14.
UU#2-Legion-replaces Swordsman-costs 90 instead of 80,13 combat strength instead of 11.
Benifit-The Glory of Rome-cities constructing buildings that already exist in the capital get a 25% bonus to their production.

RUSSIA
UU-Cossak-replaces Calvary-Damaged enemy bonus "they do enhanced damage when attacking wounded enemies.
UB-Krepost-replaces Barracks-culture cost of aquiring new tile reduced by 50% in this city.
Benefit-Siberian Riches-strategic resources produce +1 in their tile, also horse, iron and uranium resourses provide double their normal quantity.

SIAM
UU-Naresuan's Elephant-replaces knight- 22 combat strenght instead of 18, 2 movement instead of 3, bonus vs. mounted units (50).
UB-Wat-replaces University-provides 3 culture, looks like it may negate the jungle bonus that university gives (keep an eye on this)
Benefit-Father Governs Children-city-states provide +50% more food or culture

SONGHAI
UU-Mandekalu Calvary-replaces Knight-bonus vs. city (30)
UB-Mud Pyramid Mosque-replaces Temple-costs no maintenance, provides 5 culture instead of 3.
Benifit-River Warlord-barbarian encampments and enemy cities provide triple their gold bonus when you seize them, your embarked units can also defend themselves.

there are the last 5, I will be back this afternoon to fill in some of the blanks from individual questions this afternoon of 9-16-2010. I hope the info provided so far will be enough to chew on till then, ENJOY!

Thanks!

Looks like Russia and Songhai got shafted on the unique unit department.

bjbrains
Sep 16, 2010, 01:55 PM
Sure, but Russia has a strong ability and building to make up for it. Songhai's ability is also pretty sweet, and their building gives a lot of culture.

Semmel
Sep 16, 2010, 01:57 PM
hmm.. its not like you need a papermaker to make paper for the books that go into the library.. and its not like you need the library to hold value of a papermaker because otherwise the paper would be kind of useless. So i am very happy to see that in civ, you can have either a library or a papermaker :) Anyway.. back to topic:

+4gold/city wit0h the unique building. Thats quite nice in the beginning I guess, but I am not sure how much thats worth a view hunderd years later.. I suspect its neglectable from some point..

MisterBarca
Sep 16, 2010, 02:00 PM
*Mother lode of good information*

Can you tell us all the Promotions and what they do? I can't believe people don't care about this, but I play strategy games like I play RPG :)

Also, what's the XP requirement progression for successive Promotions?

KrikkitTwo
Sep 16, 2010, 02:02 PM
If China's UB is a replacement of the library, what about the Iroquois longhouse? what does it replace?

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:20 PM
Can they still build roads?

no special abilities listed, so i don't think so

KrikkitTwo
Sep 16, 2010, 02:21 PM
Longhouse still says:

Replaces: None

And there's nothing in the description or commentary about the Longhouse that suggests it replaces an existing building:
"These forests continue to improve throughout the game, as Lumber Mills and later technologies add even more Production to them..."

Well what is its cost/tech requirements.

The 'transport" question was asking how fast embarked units moved.

PawelS
Sep 16, 2010, 02:22 PM
The 'transport" question was asking how fast embarked units moved.

And whether England's bonus applies to embarked units.

caglejsc
Sep 16, 2010, 02:24 PM
no special abilities listed, so i don't think so

*sniff*
That would be the first news I was truly disappointed by. :(

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:25 PM
Does the Aztec special ability work vs. barbs? If so their UU is perfect for pressing on for early culture/policies. I like the building, too.

Doesn't say if the Benifit "Sacrificial Captives" uncludes barbarians but I suspect that it does because the amount of culture gained from killing enemy units scales with the combat strength of the victims. So much more culture is gained from this by war later in the game!

Churchdown Yank
Sep 16, 2010, 02:26 PM
hmm.. its not like you need a papermaker to make paper for the books that go into the library.. and its not like you need the library to hold value of a papermaker because otherwise the paper would be kind of useless...

Probably has something to do with the fact that China was the first with paper money:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p459/gcm4738/mingnote.jpg

"While the rest of the world was happily trading in coins that had an actual value in silver or gold, why did the Chinese risk the use of paper? This particular surviving note is made on mulberry bark, is much bigger than the notes of today and is dated 1375. The Governor of the Bank of England, Mervyn King, and the historian Timothy Brook look back over the history of paper money and what it takes to make it work."

Check out my signature - you guys will like the podcasts. Totally relevant to a lot of our discussions.

bjbrains
Sep 16, 2010, 02:26 PM
*sniff*
That would be the first news I was truly disappointed by. :(

I'm fairly certain it was just omitted. There's an achievement that says "build a road with a Roman Legion".

Ahriman
Sep 16, 2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah, we shouldn't take this as gospel, the proof of the book probably had to go to printers *months* ago, whereas the final Gold version of the game was probably only a few weeks ago.

It seems entirely likely that minutemen still have their friendly territory bonus, for example.

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 02:28 PM
Regarding Promotions:

How to Gain Experience:
Attack as a melee unit +5xp
Defend against a melee Unit +4xp
Attack as a ranged unit +2xp
Be attacked by a ranged unit +2xp
Be trained in a city with Barracks/Armory/Milt Academy +15xp/+15xp/+15xp

So it doesn't matter how successful you are in the attack? Or the relative strength of the two units? Seems weird that a knight would get as much exp from rounding off a few archers as it would from charging down a samurai.

How much EXP is needed for promotions? More importantly does it go up regularly or does it increase faster and faster as you gain more promotions (Civ4 style).

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:31 PM

I see, I looked and nothing was stated in the guide so maybe they just are limited to thier ground movement numbers? Please correct me if i am wrong

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:32 PM

sorry +2 happiness

MisterBarca
Sep 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
Regarding Promotions:

How to Gain Experience:
Attack as a melee unit +5xp
Defend against a melee Unit +4xp
Attack as a ranged unit +2xp
Be attacked by a ranged unit +2xp
Be trained in a city with Barracks/Armory/Milt Academy +15xp/+15xp/+15xp

Wow, so experience points are super-cheap!

Also, could you explain all the Promotions? I know it's a lot, but that's my favorite part of the game :)

coolhair
Sep 16, 2010, 02:35 PM
So it doesn't matter how successful you are in the attack?
How much EXP is needed for promotions? More importantly does it go up regularly or does it increase faster and faster as you gain more promotions (Civ4 style).

The guide didn't address this in the promotions section I pulled the previous info from.

caglejsc
Sep 16, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'm fairly certain it was just omitted. There's an achievement that says "build a road with a Roman Legion".

Oh good. :D

Dermo
Sep 16, 2010, 02:39 PM

Someone (in this thread or another) suggested that, like Emancipation in cIV, the penalty will only apply to Civs not running that particular social policy. I've seen nothing confirmed one way or another, but this seems the most logical

jagdtigerciv
Sep 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
I'm really not liking this "replaces: none" for UB.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
Barracks requires iron to build?? Surely not... Where's that info from?

Barracks seem to only have the knowledge of Bronze Working to build according to the guide

Feyd Rautha
Sep 16, 2010, 02:41 PM
Longhouse

Cost: 80 Production
Maintenance: 1
Culture: None
Comment: +1 Production from each worked Forest tile.
Replaces: None
Prerequisite Technology: Metal Casting
Becomes Obsolete: N/A

What are the stats for the "lumber mill" city improvement. (Per previous info it is now a building?) Perhaps this is a copy that stacks with it.

Modiga-Disabled
Sep 16, 2010, 02:43 PM

The OP said it did somewhere previously in this thread.

Zhahz
Sep 16, 2010, 02:45 PM
I'm really not liking this "replaces: none" for UB.

I'm a fan of not thinking too much into things til actually seeing them in play.

For ex, in most screenshots/vids of late game, there aren't many forests - chop chop as usual. And for the longhouse, the bonus applies only to worked forest tiles - so you'll either have to keep forests around or have them and be working them to get the bonus.

I'm seriously doubting the chinese will get two buildings with library effects.

As someone else said, the books would've been written a while ago and could have some incorrect info - it's bound to happen. Not to mention there could just flat out be some errors.

My GameStops won't have the guide til tomorrow and one said supply will be short (they're getting ONE copy). So thanks to those with it who are sharing info!