View Full Version : Civilization 5 - Some unit infos from the strategy guide

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 01:11 PM
Are they saying anything about requiring resources or not, because that was a big deal for some of the UU's.

YES, some do. Here is a quick breakdown of what I can see with required resources;

Ballista requires Iron while Catapult has no required resource
Companion Calvary requires Horses like Horsemen it replaces
Legion requires Iron like Swordsman
Mohawk Warrior requires Iron like Swordsman
Camel Archer requires Horses like Knight
Mandekalu Calvary requires Horses like Knight
Samurai requires Iron like Longswordsman
Cossack requires Horses like Calvary
Ship of the Line requires Iron like Frigate
Sipahi requires Horses like Lancer
Panzer requires Oil like Tank
Zero requires Oil like Fighter
B17 requires Oil like Bomber

Here are UU that have no required resource, check me to see if i have any ommosions;

Hoplite
Immortal
Jaguar
War Chariot
War Elephant
Chu-Ko-Nu
Landsknecht
Longbowman
Naresuan's Elephant-(charts show no required resource, i believe this to be true because Ivory is listed as a Luxury resorce and not a Strategic resource and also wouldnt require Horses like the Knight it replaces)
Janissary
Minuteman
Muskateer
Foreign Legion

let me know if i have missed any

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
I'm pretty certain the guide is wrong on that point. Trebuchets definitely require iron. I'm fairly certain it's been said that catapults do to.

YES, correction, Catapults DO require Iron. Ommision in quick list but requirement present in Unit Description

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 01:29 PM
Again, not to be difficult (and thanks for the great info so far!), but could you post specifics on the Ship of the Line and Hoplite's production?

Hoplite costs 60
Ship of the Line Costs 110

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 01:59 PM
I'm also interested to know how some of these UU bonuses work. For instance, the Aztec Jags get the jungle attack bonus not unlike CIV4. However, in CIV4 this "bonus" was actually a free promo that carried forward with upgrades. Jungle attack is fairly weak IMO. At least in CIV4 the promo included forests as well.

What will units like a Crossbow upgrade to next? Does it remain a ranged unit at the next level?

Crossbowman uprgrade path as follows:

Crossbowman---Rifleman---Infantry---Mechanized Infantry

so no ranged unit upgrades anwhere up to path for crossbowman.

I think your best strategy for late game highly promoted ranged untits lie with only the Siege Units, thier upgrade path is as follow:

Catapult---Trebuchet---Cannon---Artillery---Rocket Artillery

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:11 PM
Sorry if it has already been revealed but what's the info on naval transport? Speed of units at sea? (+ does England get its bonus movement on them too?)

there is no naval Transport unit, all land unit now embark on thier own without the need for a transport.

Speed of units at sea are as follows:

Galley-3
Trireme-4
Caravel-6
Frigate-5
Ship of the Line-5
Battleship-5
Carrier-6
Destoyer-8
Ironclad-4
Submarine-5
Missle Cruiser-8
Nuclear Submarine-7

Englands Passive Benifit of The Sun Never Sets gives +2 movement for all naval units and their special unit Ship of the Line gives them 1 extra sight

coolhair
Sep 16, 2010, 02:16 PM
Regarding Promotions:

How to Gain Experience:
Attack as a melee unit +5xp
Defend against a melee Unit +4xp
Attack as a ranged unit +2xp
Be attacked by a ranged unit +2xp
Be trained in a city with Barracks/Armory/Milt Academy +15xp/+15xp/+15xp

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:36 PM
It would be bizarre if the paper maker didn't replace the library. Biiig balance problem.

Krepost is very strong.
Sounds like the cossack should be paired with archers, which is a bit weird.

Can we confirm: do both legion and ballista require iron?
Does the Mech inf require aluminium or not?

YES, both Legion and Ballista require Iron
Mechanized Infantry appears to have NO required resource

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 02:38 PM
And does the Naresuan's Elephant need ivory?

NO, no required resource is listed at all for Naresuan's Elephant

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 02:46 PM
So how fast do embarked units move across the sea?? The English +2 would be quite significant if applied to a normal embarked movement of 2 or 3.

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 02:50 PM
So how fast do embarked units move across the sea?? The English +2 would be quite significant if applied to a normal embarked movement of 2 or 3.

It applies.

The guide says NEVER let England get the Great Lighthouse

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 02:55 PM
It applies.

Cool :cool: - Britannia really will rule the waves in Civ V (been waiting all these years for a Civ game that gives England it's rightful ability) - any idea though what speed a unit moves across the sea though? Is it the same speed as it would move across land? Or is it a uniform speed, for all units?

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 02:58 PM
Crikey - yes, England with the Great Lighthouse... wow. And those vessels after some promotions too... ye Gods, the Royal Navy is going to be supreme on the Civilization High Seas! :D

rastak
Sep 16, 2010, 03:07 PM
Cool :cool: - Britannia really will rule the waves in Civ V (been waiting all these years for a Civ game that gives England it's rightful ability) - any idea though what speed a unit moves across the sea though? Is it the same speed as it would move across land? Or is it a uniform speed, for all units?

I can't seem to find the movement speed of transports....maybe 2?

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 03:08 PM

Quite. In which case England's 4 would be outrageous... :mischief:

durindana
Sep 16, 2010, 03:09 PM
It applies.

If Firaxis had balls they'd have doubled down and made England's ability "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash"

Lord Olleus
Sep 16, 2010, 03:10 PM

IMHO, it scales up with era. 2 for classical, 3 for medieval, 4 for renaissance, 5 for industrial, 6 for modern, 7 for future

Scales up roughly with the slowest naval unit of each era this way.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 03:11 PM
Does it have the unit art for ancient/classical barb units? Do they look cool?

No art for the Barbarian Brute in the unit decription or any real unit art for any units in the guide only the various screen caps throughout, i guess since they are portrayed as a larger unit with many undividuals it wouldn't display well in the manual, all you get it an art deco icon. I will miss the manipulatable 3d representation of the current up unit in CIV IV unit description field.

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 03:14 PM
If Firaxis had balls they'd have doubled down and made England's ability "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash"

:lol: To be honest I wish they'd called it "Britannia Rules The Waves". But that would infer a British civ/nation rather than the English civ/nation in the game.

Modiga-Disabled
Sep 16, 2010, 03:15 PM
It applies.

My goal as England will be to rush the great lighthouse. :D

ShaqFu
Sep 16, 2010, 03:16 PM

...on Pangaea. :D

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 03:23 PM

Absolutely. Ship-of-the-Lines with Great Lighthouse bonuses... ooohh yeah!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcRCQ8mhVNE) :cheers:

Modiga-Disabled
Sep 16, 2010, 03:24 PM
And of course 'naval tradition' to top it all off.

dpaajones
Sep 16, 2010, 03:28 PM
And of course 'naval tradition' to top it all off.

Eeeeeeek! Forgot about that! *collapses at thought*

Theon
Sep 16, 2010, 04:52 PM
Hehe, I'm stuck with deciding between playing England with GLH, or Rameses with wonderspam for my first game, I love archipelago games in Civ 4 with Netherlands or Carthage, and I also love wonderspam :D.

Obviously if your playing England, Great Lighthouse is the must have wonder, otherwise some other Civ gets a navy almost comparable to yours.

Let me clear that up for you. :)

Don't forget there is a commerce branch which benefits navies aswell, for instance:

Naval Tradition: +1 Movement and +1 sight range for naval combat units.

Add the +2 movement and +1 sight from England's UA and +1 movement and +1 sight from the Great Lighthouse, (not to mention unknown naval promotions) and you'll instill a permanent state of hydrophobia in all your adversaries. :wow:

bhavv
Sep 16, 2010, 04:56 PM

Don't forget there is a commerce branch which benefits navies aswell, for instance:

Add the +2 movement and +1 sight from England's UA and +1 movement and +1 sight from the Great Lighthouse, (not to mention unknown naval promotions) and you'll instill a permanent state of hydrophobia in all your adversaries. :wow:

I've just been looking at the social branches, and the commerce one would make England a monster!

I think Ramesses will be a little easier for a first play through - get some wonders plus bonus maintenance free happiness, then I can try out England once I get the idea of how to play.

How many social trees can you have active at any time?

KrikkitTwo
Sep 16, 2010, 04:59 PM

5 sight range sotl :)

Feyd Rautha
Sep 16, 2010, 05:32 PM
To cover something from above... In the barbarian section it says that Barb XP stops at "level 3 and 30 xp". I think they mean to put an "or" there (otherwise it doesn't make much sense to me). It also matches with the system of Civ IV where you'd stop getting barb xp at level 3. Either way, extrapolating from that could (likely) mean 30xp=level 3. We then have the possibility that it uses the Civ IV progression multiplied by 3.

6/15/30/51/78/111/150/etc.

United front seems pretty clear: All other players lose influence with city states 33% faster. Influence obviously has thresholds for friendship/alliance, but even if I'm allied with Monaco, Napoleon can still have influence/be friends. If multiple players have united front, then it will be cumulative, like other percentages. (66% faster if two other players have it, etc).
That is how I see it. The influence info is below...

-60 to -1 = Angry (no benefit/penalty. War is "always -60")
0 to 29 = Neutral (no benefit/penalty.)
30 to 59+ = Friends (Open Borders / Half the rate of their bonus)
60 or more = Ally (only if you're the highest influence holder, Open Borders, full bonuses, access to any resources they improve)

How many social trees can you have active at any time?
You can only work on one at a time from what I've seen of 2KGreg's gameplay (there were little locks on the other branches), but you can still get benefits. I don't know what it entails to change your policy focus (one Honor to get Discipline [+15% strength for units in a tile next to others] and then one honor to get Citizenship [+50% Worker production]), but based on the warning in the book regarding policy conflicts (see below), it would appear that you keep the benefit of policy chains which aren't your current.

Conflicts are..
Religion / Rationalism
Autocracy / Freedom

The warning is...
"You can't get benefits from XXX and XXX at the same time.

If you invest in one and then want to switch to the others you must endure a few turns of Anarchy. Also, you end up wasting Policies that were taken in the branch that you've abandoned."

So... not 100% sure you can have multiples active, but based on what I'm reading you don't LOSE the policies you WASTE the policies (ergo you still have them but you cannot use them due to the conflict.) That said, you could have 8 entire policy chains active at one time unless you are Autocratic in which case you cannot have Freedom OR Liberty (though strangely there is no warning under Liberty).

KrikkitTwo
Sep 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
It doesn't, greg was in the renissance nearing the industrial, and his transports still had 2 movement, however in the modern era (maybe industrial) the embarked units get a graphical change, perhaps this also gives a faster movement speed so they can keep up more with the modern navies.

No Greg was Entering the renaissance, he Just got gunpowder.

Probably it is Specific Tech based.

ie 2
+1 Navigation (or Astronomy)
+1 Combustion
etc.

Also 30 exp, lvl 3 probably means
lvl 1 = 0 xp (no promotions)
lvl 2 = 15 xp
lvl 3 = 30 xp

SerapisIV
Sep 16, 2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for all the info

Can the scout be upgraded into a stronger unit later in the game?

Feyd Rautha
Sep 16, 2010, 05:44 PM
Also 30 exp, lvl 3 probably means
lvl 1 = 0 xp (no promotions)
lvl 2 = 15 xp
lvl 3 = 30 xp
Actually I forgot that they probably will keep with the level 1 with no promotions system. This makes more sense. It makes promotions easier to get also. One thing though... didn't he get a promotion on one of his units in the stream when he was playing Germany? Based on the book you'd have to attack three times (+5xp per) to get that much xp.

ltarmstrong3
Sep 16, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thanks for all the info

Can the scout be upgraded into a stronger unit later in the game?

I see no upgrade path for Scouts in the guide, lowest unit for upgrade is Warrior

SammyKhalifa
Sep 16, 2010, 06:10 PM
I see no upgrade path for Scouts in the guide, lowest unit for upgrade is Warrior

No brute upgrade?

Polobo
Sep 16, 2010, 07:12 PM
re: XP
I am pretty sure level 2 (the first promotion) is at 10XP.

Greg's spearman attacked the barb camp twice and then levelled up. There is a blue bar under the promotion icons that was totally black before the first attack and the 50/50 blue/black after the first attack (5XP). On the second attack, also 5XP, the unit got its promotion.

Edit: roughly 47:30 into the Germany (1) game.

SirTurtle
Sep 16, 2010, 11:29 PM
Could anyone with the guide post the complete upgrade paths for all the units?

Stefanskantine
Sep 17, 2010, 12:13 AM
Camel Archer requires Horses like Knight

hopefully a mistake

dpaajones
Sep 17, 2010, 02:54 AM

*hums Rule Britannia* :D

Me,myself,and,I
Sep 17, 2010, 06:19 AM
This is why we rush England before they research sailing.

SonofHades
Sep 17, 2010, 07:20 AM
to get back to unit infos:
Can someone tell me the costs of Archers, Horseman and Catapults?

thx

Stile
Sep 17, 2010, 08:36 AM
re: XP
I am pretty sure level 2 (the first promotion) is at 10XP.

Greg's spearman attacked the barb camp twice and then levelled up. There is a blue bar under the promotion icons that was totally black before the first attack and the 50/50 blue/black after the first attack (5XP). On the second attack, also 5XP, the unit got its promotion.

Edit: roughly 47:30 into the Germany (1) game.

How about this progression then? I also heard Greg's treb. was promoted at 100, then

L1 - 0
L2 - 10
L3 - 30
L4 - 60
L5 - 100
L6 - 150...

KrikkitTwo
Sep 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
Seems reasonable

Schuesseled
Sep 17, 2010, 11:06 AM
Crossbowman uprgrade path as follows:

Crossbowman---Rifleman---Infantry---Mechanized Infantry

so no ranged unit upgrades anwhere up to path for crossbowman.

I think your best strategy for late game highly promoted ranged untits lie with only the Siege Units, thier upgrade path is as follow:

Catapult---Trebuchet---Cannon---Artillery---Rocket Artillery

It would make far more sense to upgrade crossbowman to siege units. (i'm taking you got your path out of the guide, i hope its wrong.)

No point in having melee units with ranged promotions.

Feyd Rautha
Sep 18, 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm torn on the issue. Yes, xbows and others are "siege" type units due to the ranged attacks, but they also consist of men instead of machines. It will stink to hold onto a bunch of promotions or lose them when rifling comes around, but it definitely adds a new level of consideration which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Also, I can't find anywhere where it says archers and the like cannot take melee promotions (many of the "ranged" promotions require things like drill and shock so you can hold off and get access to some of the ranged promotions that would help even a melee unit like Mobility or Volley [it does just say +25% vs. fortified after all])