View Full Version : Increased Tile Yields Mod

Huck Finn
Sep 22, 2010, 09:16 PM
Increased Tile Yields Mod:

This is a simple mod to change the pace of the game, which I felt was GLACIAL in comparison to Civ 4 even on Marathon.

This mod is still a work in progress, so please keep that in mind, and also please give me feedback on your gameplay experiences.

Basically, rather than changing the game speeds, this mod effects the basic yields of the tile themselves. By doing this, two things are accomplished: 1. Units and buildings are built faster, making for a more exciting game, and 2. the location of your cities matters much more than it does in vanilla Civ5.

This mod is intended for use on Epic or Marathon speed.

There are currently three versions to choose from, all of which can be downloaded in the second post of this thread.

You must manually install files no. 1 & 2, to do this, simply extract the files into your:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Terrain

Directory.

MAKE SURE TO SAVE THE ORIGINALS BEFORE PUTTING THE MOD FILES IN THERE. IF YOU WANT TO RETURN THE GAME TO ITS VANILLA/NORMAL STATE, DOWNLOAD FILE NO. 3 AND EXTRACT INTO:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Terrain

Version 4 Description:

-Version keeps the production changes, a hill with a mine will net you 6 hammers, as oppossed to 3 hammers in vanilla. Lumbermills generate 1 food, 5 production.

-Food output is toned down from versions 2 and 3, a grassland farm with no water in vanilla Civ 5 nets you 3 food, in Version 4, it nets you 4 food. Special food resources like cows yield 5 food.

-Trade posts generate +1 gold from vanilla

-Ocean and coastal tiles now generate +1 gold to make them more lucrative.

-All Natural Wonders 4 production, 4 gold

-Strategic resources like iron all have a +1 production buff

-Tech research costs have been increased by 50% across the board for all gamespeeds.

-Wonder construction time has also been increased 50% across the board.

Let me know how you like it.

Huck Finn
Sep 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
Files:

1. Tileyields.Zip = First version of the production tweaks, which roughly doubles the outputs of mines and lumbermills, as well as natural wonders. Again, this only changes PRODUCTION outputs, and nothing else. For manual install only. (See first post)

2. YieldsV2.Zip = Second version, this changes production, while also raising food and gold output of luxury resources and trading posts. This second version dramatically changes the game, as oppossed to Version 1, which is more subtle. For manual install only. (See first post)

3. OriginalTerrainXML.Zip = These are the original Vanill CV5 XML files. If you mess up, misplace yours, or delete yours, simply download these, and extract to

this will restore you game to normal Civ 5.

4. Increased Tile Yields Mod (V3).rar = This is basically the same thing as Version 2 of the mod, but this time in proper "Mod" format.

Version 3 allows the mod changes to easily be turned off or on from within the games mod menu. To install:

Simply drop this file into My Games/Civ5/MODS, and it will unpack into the appropriate folder next time you launch the game. (Big Thanks to Valkrionn!)

5. Version 4= Manual Install. Make sure to backup the two new files being replaced, Buildings and Gamespeeds.

Install the Six Xml files contained in the Terrains File (From the Zip) into:

Install the Buildings XML file into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Buildings

Install the Gamespeeds XML file into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Assets\Gameplay\XML\Gameinfo

Kael
Sep 22, 2010, 09:20 PM
Do not ever replace your main game files. This isn't modding, its hacking your copy of civ5. It will cause you to be unable to play multiplayer games and will cause problems with all real mods (which require a stable base).

If you do want to implement this as a mod, you may want to halve the build and train time in the game speed file rather than modifying the terrain costs.

Huck Finn
Sep 22, 2010, 09:22 PM
OOps... Is there any way to change this stuff in a more stable manner?

Kael
Sep 22, 2010, 09:24 PM
OOps... Is there any way to change this stuff in a more stable manner?

You need the mod tools to build and publish. Play with your own copy until then.

When they are released I'll personally help you build and package it, I'm not trying to scare you off modding (I want more modders, and I love the enthusiasm), I just dont want people breaking their copy of Civ5 and not understanding why other stuff stops working.

Huck Finn
Sep 22, 2010, 09:29 PM
Understood! Thanks. I feel like a bit of a moron now. :blush:

Do you mean the SDK mod tools they are supposed to release later?

Kael
Sep 22, 2010, 09:34 PM
Understood! Thanks. I feel like a bit of a moron now. :blush:

No stress. Keep the enthusiasm, you will be a great modder when you get the tools. They didn't give you the hammer and nails yet and you already started building a house.

Do you mean the SDK mod tools they are supposed to release later?

Yeap.

Valkrionn
Sep 22, 2010, 09:47 PM
Pretty much what Kael said. :p

Modding Tools should be available sometime soon. Until then, there's no real way to distribute mods without requiring overwriting game files, which is a bad idea.

EncasedMeats
Sep 22, 2010, 09:48 PM
They didn't give you the hammer and nails yet and you already started building a house.

This is just about the nicest comment I've ever read on the Internet that didn't involve kittens.

Soduka
Sep 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
Though much more easily fixed than ever before with "Verify Integrity" by Steam. It'll simply re download whatever you messed up.

EDIT: Was interested in this, I suppose the less computer savvy will benefit from not being given a hammer to smash their copy, but now I have to do it myself.

Quetz
Sep 22, 2010, 10:06 PM
going to use this as a temporary fix, so thanks... Kael is right of course, but thanks to Steam, I'll just redownload the game once proper mods are out :)

edit: oh.. files gone qq

Huck Finn
Sep 22, 2010, 10:09 PM
As far as I know, what I changed in the XML files wouldn't screw anything up beyond repair, it just wouldn't work in multiplayer. I play tested it with the altered xmls, no crashes or anything, then tried putting the old ones back in, and the old production values came back as well, no problems.

But I can see why it's frowned upon to have any mod that involves alterating/erasing the basic game data like that. I'm too used to Napoleon Total War mods where we do that all time.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait for the SDK. :)

Thanks for being gentle and not killing me tho guys!

Shiggs713
Sep 22, 2010, 10:10 PM
+1, its even more of a hassle messing up a steam game, so for your own sake's NEVER touch the original files, except if your very carefully copying (not cutting!) them to use in a mod. I'm assuming civ5 will be the same as IV in that we'll only need to include the changed files (of course in the correct folders and correct hierarchy).

Very good idea for a mod though, I was thinking the same thing, why is is taking me 50 turns to build a courthouse on standard speed... kinda ridiculous, and way off the standard of pace set by the previous 4 titles.

Soduka
Sep 22, 2010, 10:14 PM
+1, its even more of a hassle messing up a steam game, so for your own sake's NEVER touch the original files, except if your very carefully copying (not cutting!) them to use in a mod. I'm assuming civ5 will be the same as IV in that we'll only need to include the changed files (of course in the correct folders and correct hierarchy).

Very good idea for a mod though, I was thinking the same thing, why is is taking me 50 turns to build a courthouse on standard speed... kinda ridiculous, and way off the standard of pace set by the previous 4 titles.

I've never had a problem. You verify the integrity, it'll download the exact file you changed and it's done. As opposed to uninstalling the entire game and reinstalling it from a disc or trying to find someone who will upload their untouched copy. I don't see how it is a hassle in any way.

Huck Finn
Sep 22, 2010, 10:17 PM
Should I repost the files if someone wants them? Use at your own risk sorta thing?

Bill Bisco
Sep 22, 2010, 10:30 PM
LET THAT MODDING SPIRIT THAT CANNOT BE QUENCHED GO FREE!!! RELEASE THOSE FILES!!!!:trophy3rd:

Huck Finn
Sep 22, 2010, 10:41 PM
Alright, files are back up on my second post of the thread.

Remember to save the two original xml files! Store them in a safe place.

Otherwise, this should work fine! But use at your own risk!

Hopefully I don't get killed now by the uber-modders.

Quetz
Sep 23, 2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks.. downloading (mainly to see how the AI does with it)

Iceciro
Sep 23, 2010, 07:17 AM
Don't feel bad Huck Finn, I was planning to do a similar thing, and I'm glad you took the opening barrage for me, and reminded me to post up a disclaimer.

To Kael/Valk: This isn't hacking the game files, this is how we modded games before developers got so nice with foldered mods and the ability to disable things. :lol: What are we supposed to do, wait until we get the SDK? :smoke:

Soduka
Sep 23, 2010, 08:25 AM
Don't feel bad Huck Finn, I was planning to do a similar thing, and I'm glad you took the opening barrage for me, and reminded me to post up a disclaimer.

To Kael/Valk: This isn't hacking the game files, this is how we modded games before developers got so nice with foldered mods and the ability to disable things. :lol: What are we supposed to do, wait until we get the SDK? :smoke:

If they want to keep the SDK to themselves that's fine, I'm sure there is a reason for it like insane instability. But with Steam and the streamlined updating ability I don't see, from my perspective, a reason to withhold the SDK beta software.

I'm sure there are legitimate concerns but that doesn't make the rest of us feel any better. We'll have to direct mod until they release the tools, which could be months.

Iceciro
Sep 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
Yeah, if I can release something I feel will better not only my enjoyment of Civ 5, but other people's as well, its getting released in this format until they release the SDK.

And yeah, I wish they'd release the version you guys have as a Alpha on steam, even if it came with a "WARNING: SOFTWARE IS EXTRMELY BUGGY, WE ARE WORKING ON IT, YOU USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WE WILL NOT SUPPORT IT" tag.

Shiggs713
Sep 23, 2010, 10:57 AM
I thought I read somewhere the tools should be released very soon, like within a week, but I could be wrong.

Quetz
Sep 23, 2010, 11:52 AM
I have to say, the effect his has on the AI is AMAZING. Getting my ass kicked royally on King now. Very interesting how much better it does with this (which, although not nearly a perfect solution, does help alleviate the producton problems somewhat)

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 12:49 PM

Hey, I didn't say you shouldn't do it. Just that it's not necessarily a good idea to overwrite core files. Put some heavy disclaimers on those types of mod. :p

If they want to keep the SDK to themselves that's fine, I'm sure there is a reason for it like insane instability. But with Steam and the streamlined updating ability I don't see, from my perspective, a reason to withhold the SDK beta software.

I'm sure there are legitimate concerns but that doesn't make the rest of us feel any better. We'll have to direct mod until they release the tools, which could be months.

Not instable at all (otherwise you wouldn't see mods from testers!). It's just getting some final tweaks. Won't be long till it's released.

C++ is different, won't come for a few months. Just like with Civ4.

Yeah, if I can release something I feel will better not only my enjoyment of Civ 5, but other people's as well, its getting released in this format until they release the SDK.

And yeah, I wish they'd release the version you guys have as a Alpha on steam, even if it came with a "WARNING: SOFTWARE IS EXTRMELY BUGGY, WE ARE WORKING ON IT, YOU USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WE WILL NOT SUPPORT IT" tag.

No point in that when it's around a week to it's release, IMO. :p

Huck Finn
Sep 23, 2010, 01:08 PM
After playing it awhile , I think it helps a lot too. The AI doesn't need to be adjusted or anything, it just is doing things faster, as are you, so it seems to level out.

In fact, I think perhaps I should give production tiles a slight bump up.

Another thing I've noticed it that... around size 10 or 11 your cities go stagnant or won't grow for some 300 turns. This seems off to me as well in terms of pacing.

I'm thinking of editing the food tiles to give slightly more food...or at least, giving the speical food resources a bigger yield, because right now they aren't dramatically better than just a plain old farm.

I'm trying to keep the tiles/improvement mix somewhat equal, so with those changes being made, I should probably also bump up the gold a trading post gives you, just a tad.

I don't want to make this into "cheat" mod, but it really seems like the more raw material you and the AI have, the better the game is at this point.

With less things to do during a turn, I just couldn't stand waiting 30 turns to make a trebuchet.

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 01:10 PM
As Kael said, it is likely better to modify costs rather than tile yields.

Depending on how they wrote settling algorithms and similar functions, you may inadvertently cause them to view what is comparatively still bad territory as good territory.

Tssha
Sep 23, 2010, 05:24 PM

If I know Firaxis, they're working on their first patch already. They're probably planning to follow that up with a second patch to catch the stuff they missed the first time and the stuff they broke with the patch (hey, sometimes it happens!). With that kind of plan, the first patch takes priority over cleaning up their code. Given that they are planning so many changes over a short period of time, it would wreak havoc with mods that were instantly rendered inoperable by a new patch.

In addition, releasing the SDK involves effort, and they're going to put their effort to the most profitable endeavour they can. For now, that's supporting their new release and making sure the biggest complaints are addressed right away. When it cools down and patches are released quarterly instead of monthly, then they'll polish the code and release it. That's when mods will be most effective at extending the life of the game.

Huck Finn
Sep 23, 2010, 05:28 PM
I would think this way scales better? I dunno. We shall see. I suppose halving the build costs would do more or less the same thing... I see someone else is doing that in another mod like mine. But the goal with the second version is to make special resources much more powerful than the puny bonuses they give in vanilla. I would like to see more options to "specialize" a city rather than just adjusting its focus. More powerful strategic and luxury resources will help that.

I posted a second version (Can download it from my second post), this increases food and gold yields to match the production increases, especially from special resources like wheat, cows, etc. Hill production also got a +1 bump.

I think happiness should get a bump too, conquering cities and turning them into even puppets creates major problems, what do you all think?

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 05:30 PM
If you mean SDK in the old, Civ4 meaning (C++ and the DLL), then yes.

However, SDK for Civ5 is more accurate, entailing all the tools used to create mods; Worldbuilder, Tuner, Modbuddy. They will be released before much longer (I think a week or two tops, but I also haven't seen anything from the devs so don't quote that, people! :p), but the C++ files will not come for some time, for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Tssha
Sep 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
What can I say? I'm used to calling it that. :p

Gonna have to get used to calling it something else now. How about what I used to call it, the dll? :lol:

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 05:49 PM
I would think this way scales better? I dunno. We shall see. I suppose halving the build costs would do more or less the same thing... I see someone else is doing that in another mod like mine. But the goal with the second version is to make special resources much more powerful than the puny bonuses they give in vanilla. I would like to see more options to "specialize" a city rather than just adjusting its focus. More powerful strategic and luxury resources will help that.

I posted a second version (Can download it from my second post), this increases food and gold yields to match the production increases, especially from special resources like wheat, cows, etc. Hill production also got a +1 bump.

I think happiness should get a bump too, conquering cities and turning them into even puppets creates major problems, what do you all think?

Well, not really better so much as incredibly easier. :lol: Use whichever you like; At this point, I'm not sure there are any issues with it, just wouldn't do it that way myself.

Resources, though, would be interesting. :goodjob:

On happiness: I really don't think there's an issue there, just have to get used to it. My first game caused me some serious issues, but after that it got better as I learned to watch it. :lol:

What can I say? I'm used to calling it that. :p

Gonna have to get used to calling it something else now. How about what I used to call it, the dll? :lol:

Works for me, it's what I'm calling it. ;)

Huck Finn
Sep 23, 2010, 06:34 PM
Well, not really better so much as incredibly easier. :lol:

I didn't want to say it, but you got me, my way is a lot less work :lol:

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 06:36 PM
Not always a bad thing, that. ;)

Iceciro
Sep 23, 2010, 08:56 PM
I'm finding the same - the game functions MUCH better with the tile yields for resources increased. Just cutting the percentage down in gamespeed doesn't do it justice because it doesn't encourage you to go look for great city spots.

Happiness is almost bearable if you keep it close and don't annex whole empires.

What the game really needs is a workshop improvement. I think I'm going to cannibalize the Manufactory graphics for that tonight.

Huck Finn
Sep 23, 2010, 09:19 PM
Steam just downloaded a 25 mb patch of some sort, of course they don't tell us what they changed/did. :(

Iceciro, the workshop would be nice ! (now if you can just do windmills, watermills, cottages, etc. :P)

I'm trying to find a sweet spot with the changes I made. Just played about 2 hours of a new game. Tech advancement seems a little too fast, but that I can live with for now.

The AI is doing A LOT more stuff, and even the city states are really churning with action. Geneva is close to my nation and I would definitely need to prepare for awhile to take them out, because they have about 6 units now on their border.

It needs work, but so far the game seems to play better with my V2 changes. Now special resources REALLY help, they give you a huge food bonus. I think that's something we all need to continue pursuing...making city location important again!

Iceciro
Sep 23, 2010, 09:20 PM
I dunno about cottages ala Civ IV, but getting similar graphics would be nice. The trade posts look silly when you have them all over the empire.

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 10:36 PM
I've missed workshops as well; Would reduce the impact hills have (Hills and Rivers are FAR more of a requirement than terrain!).

On trading posts.... Do not spam them. That is a mistake. Trust me on this. :lol: Your empire fares far, far better by spamming farms (and lumbermills in forests, for production!). You don't earn as much gold per population, but you have more population, leading to more science, more small amounts of commerce (rivers ftw), more production, and essentially just more everything. I've played games with both strategies. For a few weeks now. :p

James009
Sep 23, 2010, 10:50 PM
You need the mod tools to build and publish. Play with your own copy until then.

We don't need to wait until the Mod Tools are released.

Go to "C:\Users\**\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS"
Make a folder called "Increased Tile Yield Mod"
Put all your customized assets in there (from the XML folder)
Create a text file, open it in notepad, paste this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Mod id="d3c55902-b663-44jf-9131-79c4422f46bj" version="1">
<Properties>
<Name>Increased Tile Yield Mod v2</Name>
<Stability>Beta</Stability>
<Description>Increased Tile Yield Mod</Description>
<Authors>Huck Finn</Authors>
<SpecialThanks>Firaxis Games</SpecialThanks>
<Homepage></Homepage>
<AffectsSavedGames>1</AffectsSavedGames>
<MinCompatibleSaveVersion>0</MinCompatibleSaveVersion>
<SupportsSinglePlayer>1</SupportsSinglePlayer>
<SupportsMultiplayer>1</SupportsMultiplayer>
<SupportsMac>1</SupportsMac>
<ReloadLandmarkSystem>0</ReloadLandmarkSystem>
<ReloadUnitSystem>0</ReloadUnitSystem>
</Properties>
<Dependencies />
<References />
<Blocks />
<Files>
<File md5="366D426A9E6C01A4D31EAEDA600B3AF5">XML/Misc/CIV5Routes.xml</File>
<File md5="87A47D4AC8330A824A64B4374B18A936">XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml</File>
</Files>
<Actions>
<OnModActivated>
<File md5="366D426A9E6C01A4D31EAEDA600B3AF5">XML/Misc/CIV5Routes.xml</File>
<File md5="87A47D4AC8330A824A64B4374B18A936">XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml</File>
</OnModActivated>
</Actions>
</Mod>
You'd need to make it recognize the correct "<Files>" but it should be available inside the ingame mod browser. I'm honestly not entirely sure how all the <Files> work but we should be able to figure this out. You can't upload it yet but it'll be shareable (via download here) and won't break the default game.

Hope this works for you. I changed the GameInfos.XML and got it to work. Hopefully Mod Tools will be released soon.

Soduka
Sep 23, 2010, 10:54 PM
we don't need to wait until the mod tools are released.

Go to "c:\users\**\documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 5\mods"
make a folder called "increased tile yield mod"
put all your customized assets in there (from the xml folder)
create a text file, open it in notepad, paste this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mod id="d3c55902-b663-44jf-9131-79c4422f46bj" version="1">
<properties>
<name>increased tile yield mod v2</name>
<stability>beta</stability>
<description>increased tile yield mod</description>
<authors>huck finn</authors>
<specialthanks>firaxis games</specialthanks>
<homepage></homepage>
<affectssavedgames>1</affectssavedgames>
<mincompatiblesaveversion>0</mincompatiblesaveversion>
<supportssingleplayer>1</supportssingleplayer>
<supportsmultiplayer>1</supportsmultiplayer>
<supportsmac>1</supportsmac>
<reloadlandmarksystem>0</reloadlandmarksystem>
<reloadunitsystem>0</reloadunitsystem>
</properties>
<dependencies />
<references />
<blocks />
<files>
<file md5="366d426a9e6c01a4d31eaeda600b3af5">xml/misc/civ5routes.xml</file>
<file md5="87a47d4ac8330a824a64b4374b18a936">xml/gameinfo/civ5gamespeeds.xml</file>
</files>
<actions>
<onmodactivated>
<file md5="366d426a9e6c01a4d31eaeda600b3af5">xml/misc/civ5routes.xml</file>
<file md5="87a47d4ac8330a824a64b4374b18a936">xml/gameinfo/civ5gamespeeds.xml</file>
</onmodactivated>
</actions>
</mod>
you'd need to make it recognize the correct "<files>" but it should be available inside the ingame mod browser. I'm honestly not entirely sure how all the <files> work but we should be able to figure this out. You can't upload it yet but it'll be shareable (via download here) and won't break the default game.

Hope this works for you. I changed the gameinfos.xml and got it to work.

by the power of greyskull!!!

Huck Finn
Sep 23, 2010, 11:02 PM
I can't access my game computer right now (Someone is using it! :mad: )

Would somebody do me the huge favor of grabbing the vanilla Civ 5 XML files from

Assets\Gameplay\XML\Terrain

And posting them here? (Should be six files, one zip should do the trick) I'd like to provide the original files here as well, in case anyone screws up and deletes or misplaces the originals.

:goodjob:

Aussie_Lurker
Sep 23, 2010, 11:04 PM
So, just a quick question then-does this mean that we can't make XML only Mods? I mean, I understand the need to create a separate folder for my mods-from my Civ4 modding days-& I do understand that creating new tags will have to wait til SDK & Lua stuff is released, but surely XML files have been provided out of the box?
Sorry to sound thick-I'm just curious!

Aussie.

Soduka
Sep 23, 2010, 11:05 PM
There we go, now it's good.

~Bamboo~
Sep 23, 2010, 11:14 PM
This is funny. I am having such a hard time getting into Civ5. I swear I want to fall asleep every time I play it. It didn't dawn on me how messed up production is in this game. I can research 2 techs in the time it takes to build an archer in this game. No wonder it's snorefest for me. I have other issues with the game however, I believe this is a big one. This game needs tweaks really bad.

Please save us modder guys!!!:cry:

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 11:32 PM
So, just a quick question then-does this mean that we can't make XML only Mods? I mean, I understand the need to create a separate folder for my mods-from my Civ4 modding days-& I do understand that creating new tags will have to wait til SDK & Lua stuff is released, but surely XML files have been provided out of the box?
Sorry to sound thick-I'm just curious!

Aussie.

Not at all! The SDK means ModBuddy, and other tools. Currently non-testers are not able to package their mods and submit them to the database, is all. Those tools will be available soon.

Also, working on something. :goodjob:

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 11:46 PM
Okay, this should work. Not tested in anyway.

Winmerged your v2 files with the core games, to pick out differences; Deleted everything else (unnecessary to list items that are not changed, when built as a mod).

Simply drop this file into My Games/Civ5/MODS, and it will unpack into the appropriate folder next time you launch the game.

I even labeled it v2 to match your version number. :p

~Bamboo~
Sep 23, 2010, 11:55 PM

Winmerged your v2 files with the core games, to pick out differences; Deleted everything else (unnecessary to list items that are not changed, when built as a mod).

Simply drop this file into My Games/Civ5/MODS, and it will unpack into the appropriate folder next time you launch the game.

Trying now:goodjob:

Huck Finn
Sep 23, 2010, 11:59 PM
Soduka, thanks a lot for loading those, I'm going to include them in the front page download in case someone needs them as a backup! :goodjob:

Also, major thanks to Valkrionn for the mod help. I assume this is to make it a checkbox on/off situation inside the game itself?

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 12:05 AM
Soduka, thanks a lot for loading those, I'm going to include them in the front page download in case someone needs them as a backup! :goodjob:

Also, major thanks to Valkrionn for the mod help. I assume this is to make it a checkbox on/off situation inside the game itself?

Exactly so. ;)

Huck Finn
Sep 24, 2010, 12:11 AM
Also, I'd like to hear from people if Version 2 is a bit too over-the-top in terms of food yields and growth?

From my playtesting, it seems to work out pretty good, but other people may find V2 a bit too quick for their taste. It seems to work best on Marathon...

Need to play a few more games to see how all these changes affects tech rates. More food= more people = more science, so I guess getting the ratio correct will be tricky.

~Bamboo~
Sep 24, 2010, 12:17 AM
Working fine so far. Playing huge map on Marathon.

Will update later.

Edit: NM that was a mistake. The save game I loaded to compare tiles was in a golden age :/. Still testing.

KingKeeper
Sep 24, 2010, 11:01 AM

Dont work for me. Unziped the File to the Mod Folder, started the Game, found it in the Mods, unpacked it ingame and activated it. The Game is recognized as mod (unable to load a normal save, but able to load one that i startet trough the modbrowser) but no changes in yields. Checked the Mod folder, there is now a folder with the Name of the Mod and the 4 XMLs and the modinfo File.

wapamingo
Sep 24, 2010, 11:07 AM
This is funny. I am having such a hard time getting into Civ5. I swear I want to fall asleep every time I play it. It didn't dawn on me how messed up production is in this game. I can research 2 techs in the time it takes to build an archer in this game. No wonder it's snorefest for me. I have other issues with the game however, I believe this is a big one. This game needs tweaks really bad.

Please save us modder guys!!!:cry:

I have to agree.

You guys/gals who are talented and/or driven to create wonderful mods have saved Civ4 and will do the same for Civ5 (and by saved I refer to making them so much more fun and enduring).

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
Dont work for me. Unziped the File to the Mod Folder, started the Game, found it in the Mods, unpacked it ingame and activated it. The Game is recognized as mod (unable to load a normal save, but able to load one that i startet trough the modbrowser) but no changes in yields. Checked the Mod folder, there is now a folder with the Name of the Mod and the 4 XMLs and the modinfo File.

Hmm. Should be working, I'll have to check out why it's not.

KingKeeper
Sep 24, 2010, 11:54 AM
Next thing i tried: I downloaded the other version of the mod (the one with the Big Files) and overwrote the 4 XMLs of yours Valkrionn. Ingame still no yieldchanges so i dont think the problem is at the mods end, but at my side be it the game itself or my system.

~Bamboo~
Sep 24, 2010, 12:17 PM
@Valkrionn
I changed back to original files and tried your installer. It didn't work for me either boss.

When I install the files as per Huck's instructions it works fine however, there is no mod listed of course :)

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 01:44 PM

Next thing i tried: I downloaded the other version of the mod (the one with the Big Files) and overwrote the 4 XMLs of yours Valkrionn. Ingame still no yieldchanges so i dont think the problem is at the mods end, but at my side be it the game itself or my system.

@Valkrionn
I changed back to original files and tried your installer. It didn't work for me either boss.

When I install the files as per Huck's instructions it works fine however, there is no mod listed of course :)

Alright, found the issue (had to tell the databases to update, basically, but you aren't told you have to do that and it's done in an unobvious way. :mad:), and this version is tested and verified to work.

I did increment the version number to avoid confusion for those who'd already tried the package, but I think moving to a true mod format is enough to warrant a version change. :crazyeye:

Huck Finn, if you decide to adopt this file, and make more changes in the future, just pm them to me and I'll get you an updated version. Now that the project is working correctly, updating is a matter of seconds. ;) Once the tools are out I'll pm you the full project, as well as instructions on how to use it; It's quite easy, I just didn't know I had to update the database (and would not if I hadn't checked the .modinfo files for Kael's mods).

KingKeeper
Sep 24, 2010, 04:12 PM
Works now thx @Huck Finn and Valkrionn, the Game feels a lot better now finally i can build some Units before a outtech them again...

Iceciro
Sep 24, 2010, 04:23 PM
Do me a favor KingKeeper, and see if you can pick up the savegame that includes that mod?

Mine doesn't seem to be working, gives me a runtime error.

killercat
Sep 24, 2010, 05:04 PM
So put this file into the MODS file, and it won't load or recognize it even exist nor any other mods I might install from the mod selection, is there some type of voodoo magic I need to perform to get it to work?

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 05:07 PM
That file just needs to go in My Documents/Civ5/Mods. It should be unpacked automatically when you start the game.

IIRC, there are currently issues with paths containing non-standard characters, and with non-default steam paths... Dunno if some of those issues are fixed yet or not.

killercat
Sep 24, 2010, 05:08 PM
have tried putting the file in there every which way, redownloaded etc, nothing worked, even mods downed from the mod installer inside the game won't show up any new mods.

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 05:28 PM
Ah, if the mod installer is failing for you than you likely suffer from one of the issues it has atm, and will have those issues fixed in an upcoming patch. For now, you can still use his original files.

KingKeeper
Sep 24, 2010, 05:33 PM
Do me a favor KingKeeper, and see if you can pick up the savegame that includes that mod?

Mine doesn't seem to be working, gives me a runtime error.

I can save/load normal without crashes, i attached one of my saves, i could load it from the modlauncher and from ingame without probs.

That file just needs to go in My Documents/Civ5/Mods. It should be unpacked automatically when you start the game.

At first the mod wasnt visible under "Installed", but there was a new button besides "back" (cant remeber what it was ^^). After i hit this button it worked for a sec and the mod appeared under "Installed".

Iceciro
Sep 24, 2010, 06:04 PM
Turns out it wasn't this mod, nor one of my mods, that broke saves.

The mod that removes the GDR is what was preventing saves from working.

Huck Finn
Sep 24, 2010, 09:22 PM
Huck Finn, if you decide to adopt this file, and make more changes in the future, just pm them to me and I'll get you an updated version. Now that the project is working correctly, updating is a matter of seconds. ;) Once the tools are out I'll pm you the full project, as well as instructions on how to use it; It's quite easy, I just didn't know I had to update the database (and would not if I hadn't checked the .modinfo files for Kael's mods).

Thanks again for the help! I need to play some more games this weekend, and then I will definitely tweak it again and send it your way.

Lord Shadow
Sep 25, 2010, 07:24 PM
Question: why did you go for tile yield changes as opposed to production costs modification?

The latter seems easier on the modder as you can, say, combine Standard costs with Epic/Marathon pace with presumably the same result and less balancing work.

They didn't give you the hammer and nails yet and you already started building a house.
Welcome to the club! That's the true Spartan way! :rockon:

dave`
Sep 25, 2010, 09:22 PM
Okay, so I've been lurking and I decided to give my Civ Fanatics virginity upjust for this thread. I downloaded V3 and it made the game so much better. Before I was falling asleep with Civ5, and now it's just perfect. The great thing of this mod is, it doesn't just benefit the player, the AI utilizes the tiles just as well. A lot of people have been complaining that the gameplay is too slow for them. This is just the fix needed. Honestly this is the way Civ5 should be played. Great job with the mod. AND MANY THANKS!:goodjob:

edit : okay so I tried to load my saved game and my game crash, anyone else got this error?

Iceciro
Sep 25, 2010, 10:24 PM
edit : okay so I tried to load my saved game and my game crash, anyone else got this error?

What mods are you running? I know the clock mod can do this.

Valkrionn
Sep 25, 2010, 10:37 PM
On the clock mod issue: It's apparently because that mod is set as compatible with existing save games. Causes issues when it's ran with mods that DO affect save games... IE, all of them.

Will be fixed soon, I think.

James009
Sep 25, 2010, 10:51 PM
I'm getting problems trying to save my game (I have to use Steam Save), hasn't crashed yet though. I'm guessing this has something to do with mods in general, not this one specifically.

Necro-
Sep 26, 2010, 08:57 AM
i like where this is going, but i was wondering, when looking at the other production mod, were u considering doing the same thing with strategic resources like iron making them give a boost to production? personally i find this to be a great idea in making strategic resources more sought after even in times of peace.

Huck Finn
Sep 26, 2010, 01:44 PM
Question: why did you go for tile yield changes as opposed to production costs modification?

The latter seems easier on the modder as you can, say, combine Standard costs with Epic/Marathon pace with presumably the same result and less balancing work.

I went for tile yields because for one thing, its easier to change those tile stats right now, and second, I felt like all the tiles and resources were very boring, with little difference between them, and the so called "special" resources were very weak. In vanilla Civ5, it seems like any place is just as good as any other to place a city, and I'd like to change that, and make city placement as important as it was in Civ 4.

Okay, so I've been lurking and I decided to give my Civ Fanatics virginity upjust for this thread. I downloaded V3 and it made the game so much better. Before I was falling asleep with Civ5, and now it's just perfect. The great thing of this mod is, it doesn't just benefit the player, the AI utilizes the tiles just as well. A lot of people have been complaining that the gameplay is too slow for them. This is just the fix needed. Honestly this is the way Civ5 should be played. Great job with the mod. AND MANY THANKS!:goodjob:

Thanks! Glad you enjoy it more.

i like where this is going, but i was wondering, when looking at the other production mod, were u considering doing the same thing with strategic resources like iron making them give a boost to production? personally i find this to be a great idea in making strategic resources more sought after even in times of peace.

I've thought about it. It's just that hills and stuff already got such a production boost I don't want to go overboard, and I was thinking stuff like Iron already has the powerful side effect of allowing you to create certain units. I'll try changing them and see if its not too much. Kinda worried that that buffing it even more would make the Russians unstoppable with their special ability.

I'm also going to buff ocean/coastal tiles because with no trade routes on the ocean, oceanside cities are far weaker than inland ones. I'm thinking of give those tiles a cash bonus to reflect the idea that they would make money off trade, even if the game doesn't directly represent that.

Huck Finn
Sep 26, 2010, 02:41 PM
Also, how would people feel about me increasing tech research costs by 25%, and also increasing Wonder Build costs by 25% as well?

Necro-
Sep 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
yea, i like your mod but i tend to go with the other one as it buffs the resources over everything

DrwHem
Sep 26, 2010, 06:12 PM
I think the tech pace is pretty good for me. i always play on marathon and it seems to keep pace with the game year. its actually a little slower.
however could you do anything with policies? they take too long to implement and by the time you get to them you dont really need them as much. like seeing barbarian camps...by the time i got to it(my 2nd policy) barbarians were wiped out.

riddleofsteel
Sep 26, 2010, 06:46 PM
After placing the v3 mod file in my documents/civ5/mods folder, I get a 'No Mods Installed' message in the game mod menu.

Valkrionn
Sep 26, 2010, 06:48 PM
You may have to hit an 'Install Mods' button on that screen.

riddleofsteel
Sep 26, 2010, 06:52 PM
I saw that button and clicked it. There was a split-second of something loading but it still says 'No Mods Installed'.

dave`
Sep 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
I got my saves to work thanks for the tip with the mods i'm running!

I've got to say though, the yields are a little overboard with the hills. Is there anyway you can make a mod like you did for v2 ( v3 ) for v1? I want to try v1 without having to replace anything.

Valkrionn
Sep 26, 2010, 08:05 PM
I saw that button and clicked it. There was a split-second of something loading but it still says 'No Mods Installed'.

Hmm... Is your steam installed in a non-default path? Or do you have non-standard (ie, Cyrillic, for example) characters in the default path to your my documents folder?

IIRC, there are currently issues with both situations. I believe you can simply extract the .civ5mod file with winrar or 7zip.

riddleofsteel
Sep 26, 2010, 08:06 PM
Yeah, my steam folder is non-default. I'll try extracting.

Tazen
Sep 26, 2010, 08:43 PM
Going to have a go of it now, was playing a marathon game but seriously so dam boring!! by the posts here im hoping this is all changed :D

DrwHem
Sep 26, 2010, 10:03 PM
im not sure it its dumb luck or a civ trait but im playing marathon as rome and its turn 400 and the americans have about 40 units and 16 cities already! im barely able to spread out to 8 and i have 6 workers and 2 legions full time road building and they arnt even connected yet but the americans have an almost fully developed infrastructure. its a little disheartening...

James009
Sep 26, 2010, 10:14 PM
Also, how would people feel about me increasing tech research costs by 25%, and also increasing Wonder Build costs by 25% as well?
Sounds good to me. I always end up increasing research time by quite a bit in my games just to slow down tech advancement a bit. I'd like to use my Legions before upgrading to Longswordsmen in my games :P

Wonder costs? I'm not so sure about that one. As long as it's not 40-50 turn waits (in a semi-productive city) for them then it's fine.

Valkrionn
Sep 26, 2010, 10:20 PM
In my own mod (unreleased as yet) I simply increased the tech% tag on all gamespeeds by ~50%.

I've also played with building costs, wealth process efficiency, engineer yields, added a workshop improvement, tweaked 'bonus' resource yields... Nowhere near done, either. :p

James009
Sep 27, 2010, 12:13 AM
The Angry Gerbil from Balder's Gate will need to release these modifications or suffer the wrath of Augustus Caesar's Legions.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/encounters/npcs/minsc/minsc.jpg
Better watch yo' back...

Warmaker
Sep 27, 2010, 12:38 AM
I just got done with a stunningly slow Marathon campaign as Rome. In past Civ games, I prefer Marathon because the ages last longer and you get a chance to toy with the units for that age alot more. But Civ5 at Marathon was utterly boring because everything took too long to build and produce. My first game as Japan on Standard speed was way too fast and the ages were over in the blink of an eye, which was not what I wanted.

I'm giving the Tile tweaks a try. Hopefully it rectifies the problem.

Iceciro
Sep 27, 2010, 01:32 AM
The module system has a lot of problems (ie, it doesn't WORK) if your steam isn't installed on the C:/ drive. Then you need to manually open the Civ5pack file (it's just a renamed .zip file) and extract the files to the Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS folder.

Necro-
Sep 27, 2010, 05:45 AM
valk: sounds great, the other production mod by ice has this done fort he wealth at 50%

Valkrionn
Sep 27, 2010, 10:39 AM
The Angry Gerbil from Balder's Gate will need to release these modifications or suffer the wrath of Augustus Caesar's Legions.

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/bg2/encounters/npcs/minsc/minsc.jpg
Better watch yo' back...

Gerbil?!? It's Hamster, good sir. :p

valk: sounds great, the other production mod by ice has this done fort he wealth at 50%

I know, I just opted to have the wealth and research processes at the same level of efficiency.

ytswy
Sep 27, 2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks for this mod! This makes the game so much more enjoyable to play on slower speeds.

I think tech needs to be slowed somewhat, I've only played a bit, but I went back to the production only version, simply because my empire seemed to snowball a bit and research times started to come down.

Another way of looking at it: I wonder if you have overdone the food bonuses - this leads to more pop == more science and also bumping into happiness caps. You mentioned above I think that you were thinking of tweaking happiness, but that will just make the science speed-up worse.

The way I see it, the problem is principally production. We want to do more stuff and we want the AI to do more stuff, so we need production bonuses. Gold needs to be boosted because all this extra stuff needs maintenance. But food/population/science I think is ok much nearer the defaults - tweaking this increases the tech pace more than anything else and we might as well play on normal speed if we wanted that :D

Martock
Sep 27, 2010, 02:07 PM
I only play marathon (and warlord at the moment) but in order to make things enjoyable, I set the research to 375% (up from 300%) and the production to 150% (down from 300%). I was finding that I was researching so fast that I would bypass entire units. I literally went from horsemen to lancers, bypassing Knights. Did the same with Minutemen...went from crossbows to riflemen as I couldn't produce faster than I could research. I may bump research up to 400% just to spread it out a bit. On marathon, 25% increase in research isn't really enough.

I don't know that it's possible yet, but I'd like to see the number of units a strategic resource can support be increased a bit. At present that 1 to 1 ratio is a bit low. I was thinking maybe 1 to 3 might be best. I'm not sure how to change that though and can't test to see if that's OP or not...

sresk
Sep 27, 2010, 02:15 PM
Ok so I've been toying with both the production mod and Ice's mod and have mashed together something formyself that I find to be very playable.

I toned back you production tweaks and implemented the game speed changes while slowing the tech speed. I don't know that it's ready to be posted here and I have no clue how to actually implement a mod. But I've gotten decent at editing the files. so If you guys want I can probably upload the files I've been playing with.

Major changes that I've found to be the biggest improvments again this is all for Marathon:

400% tech speed (instead of 300)
225% all other speeds (instead of 300)

hills on grass = 1 food 1 prod
Coasts = 2 food 1 gold
cows = 1 food 1 prod
ivory = 1 prod 1 gold

All other resources give 2 instead of 1 accross the board
All improvments (mines, farms, plantations etc.) Give 2 instead of 1 of everything

And thats about it.

I'm not done playing thorugh my first full marathon yet. But I've played 3 partial games upto about midevil and found that this works pretty good. I think the food bonus on farms and coasts might be too much. I think I'd like to tone it back to +1 and make some other tech give an addtional +1 further down the tech tree.

Also the speed change on tile improvments is too much and should probably be toned back to 300... workers just work too fast.

Last on tech too slow in the begining too fast as time goes on. Really what I think needs to happen is bump this to 450-500 and then reduce the costs of early game techs.

Pegasos
Sep 27, 2010, 03:07 PM
I've been thinking:

People complain about the luxury resources' yield on the map, ie "Why does silver give only this amount of money, it should be n times more!!1", but the real point of luxury resources isn't the direct economic benefit of harvesting it, but trading it away. In my game I traded two luxury resources to Iroquois (wine and silver) and received 20 gold per turn, ie 10 gold per luxury resource. That's a lot from a single hex. :)

This was possible in Civ 4 as well, but now the AI actually has some money to spend on trading resources. Earlier all the gold went to science, but now it racks up if you have a decent economy and there is a strategic aspect in deciding how to best use it. Also it lays some pressure on trading those six extra silvers away instead of dumping them in the land filling site.

But the wheat, fish and cattle resources could reasonably be boosted, since they're not tradeable.

Valkrionn
Sep 27, 2010, 03:21 PM
That's what I'm doing in my own mod. "Bonus" resources (those that are not Luxuries or Strategic) have all been boosted. They do nothing other than lock down what improvement you can build, should have a decent effect on the tile.

Huck Finn
Sep 27, 2010, 05:13 PM
It's always hard to tell with this stuff, because you can play two games and come out with wildly different opinions on the pacing of the game, due to my changes. That, and everyone has a preference for how the game plays out.

For example, production. To me, on an Epic or Marathon game, I would like to see most buildings taking between 10-20 turns max in a city with reasonable production capabilities to build. Units, I feel, in an average city, should take no more than 10 turns to make. Others may find that too fast, but I think with Civ5 having less to do during a turn, I want things to go a bit faster than they might have in Civ 4.

In regards to food, I wanted to buff it in Version 2, because it seems like once your cities hit size 10 or 11, you're looking at a huge amount (over a hundred) of turns before the city grows again. Anyone else see that as an issue?

So, perhaps the best method would be to keep the tile stats as they are, but increase research costs to compensate for the larger population?

I'm thinking the next version would be:

Increased gold from ocean/coast tiles, and luxury resources

Food tiles only slightly better than Vanilla (downgraded from Version 2 of the mod), but special food resources much better than vanilla.

Production yields remain the same.

25% increase in research times and wonder construction.

asibin2000
Sep 27, 2010, 07:51 PM
I've been playing Civ since Civ 1! I usually don't post on the forums but I wanted to say that this mod actually made me want to play Civ 5 a lot more. Made the game much more enjoyable because the AI really takes advantage of it.

I hope that when the SDK is release someone tweak's the AI a little bit more but keeps the changes this mod brings.

James009
Sep 27, 2010, 09:51 PM
For example, production. To me, on an Epic or Marathon game, I would like to see most buildings taking between 10-20 turns max in a city with reasonable production capabilities to build. Units, I feel, in an average city, should take no more than 10 turns to make. Others may find that too fast, but I think with Civ5 having less to do during a turn, I want things to go a bit faster than they might have in Civ 4.

Sounds good. I think 10 (maybe a few turns more) is a good number for number of turns for constructing units.

In regards to food, I wanted to buff it in Version 2, because it seems like once your cities hit size 10 or 11, you're looking at a huge amount (over a hundred) of turns before the city grows again. Anyone else see that as an issue?
A small buff shouldn't hurt. Maybe, instead of buffing the tile, we could buff some of the food production buildings to grant more food or food multipliers, this would encourage future city growth (especially if granted technological bonuses).

So, perhaps the best method would be to keep the tile stats as they are, but increase research costs to compensate for the larger population?
Regardless, I think increasing research costs is wise.

Increased gold from ocean/coast tiles, and luxury resources
Good idea. As it is cities on oceans are just not worth as much as inland cities (most the time). They could use some gold bonuses to simulate fishing and coastal trade.

Food tiles only slightly better than Vanilla (downgraded from Version 2 of the mod), but special food resources much better than vanilla.
I'm unsure about this but it'd certainly be something worth experimenting with and testing.

Production yields remain the same.
Good.

25% increase in research times and wonder construction.
You may want to even experiment with 50% increase for research while wonders may not want to be increased much. We should determine how many turns an average city should spend making wonders and work off that (20-30 turns?); that could be our goal, IMO.

civ_king
Sep 27, 2010, 10:30 PM
I applaud your pioneering spirit. You wanted to build a house and they didn't give you nails so instead you smashed so boards into pegs and built it anyway

Huck Finn
Sep 28, 2010, 12:01 AM
Version 4 is up, for manual install only at this point. Hope to have a Mod version by tomorrow.

Description on page one, post one

Download on page one, second post.

Azazell
Sep 28, 2010, 02:50 AM
Huck Finn --> Hi! Do you know, when i Found way to increase icons gold/hammers/food in the city? I lookin in the files and I don`t see :(

Taan
Sep 28, 2010, 04:26 AM
First of all: thanks for all the effort. Yesterday I tried the old v2/v3, but personally I thought it was too much food (especially the water tiles). Haven't tried the new one.

I would suggest you add a note in your first post making clear that the whole "mod" thing ingame doesn't really work so far, so people don't go nuts when they try to use the mod

Huck Finn
Sep 28, 2010, 05:37 PM
Huck Finn --> Hi! Do you know, when i Found way to increase icons gold/hammers/food in the city? I lookin in the files and I don`t see :(

What do you mean? I'm afraid I don't understand you. Do you mean a way to VISUALLY increase the size of the icons? Besides zooming in with the mouse wheel, I don't know how to do that yet.

First of all: thanks for all the effort. Yesterday I tried the old v2/v3, but personally I thought it was too much food (especially the water tiles). Haven't tried the new one.

I would suggest you add a note in your first post making clear that the whole "mod" thing ingame doesn't really work so far, so people don't go nuts when they try to use the mod

Thanks! Version 4 reduces the food outputs somewhat. And, I don't feel that water tiles create too much food...they are still very inferior to land tiles, and they have to be somewhat useful (in terms of food and gold), otherwise there is no reason whatsoever to have oceanside cities, which would be quite unrealistic. I hate that they got rid of trade routes.

I'd like to get it to where your ocean cities are important too, because they make the most money for you and, of course, can produce naval units.

On the mod front, yeah, call me confused. I thought Steam just had an update yesterday that was supposed to fix this mess? I guess for right now, I would suggest people just manually install everything for now. Once you do it a few times it's very quick and easy :goodjob:

Huck Finn
Sep 28, 2010, 06:50 PM
SDK is out so I'll be trying to get a better, easier to use mod out in the days to come, hopefully with easy to turn off and on components.

Valkrionn
Sep 28, 2010, 07:45 PM
Don't forget to put it on the modbrowser. ;)

riddleofsteel
Sep 28, 2010, 07:59 PM
SDK is out? Nice.

Huck Finn
Sep 28, 2010, 08:30 PM
Yes, you can download the SDK by going into Steam, then Library, and then Tools.

Now...I just have to figure out how this beast works... :crazyeye:

Valkrionn
Sep 29, 2010, 12:41 AM
Huck Finn, you may be interested in this... Remember my post about it being better to modify costs of items, rather than terrain yields? We both agreed that it was easier to modify yields, at the time...

Turns out not to be the case. Behold the wonders of SQL. :lol:

UPDATE Units SET 'Cost' = cost*0.8;

That single line, in an SQL file in a mod, and set to load in the same damn way as any xml file, will reduce the cost of every single unit by 20%.

Every. Last. One. :crazyeye:

You can even add extra code, you can even be specific about it. Example:

UPDATE Units SET 'Cost' = cost*0.8 WHERE Class <> 'UNITCLASS_SETTLER' and Class <> 'UNITCLASS_SCOUT';

That line reduces the cost of everything but settlers and scouts. :crazyeye:

I spent a little bit of time figuring it out (first getting syntax right via the SQLite plugin for firefox and playing with the database directly, then getting the file to load into the game), but it works perfectly (and decimal values are rounded by the game; 64 hammers become 51, not 51.2), and I thought I'd share the knowledge. :goodjob:

Edit: Woooooops. Found an issue with the first bit of code I posted... Because of the error checking, anything with -1 cost was being translated to 1 cost. Meaning Great People became buildable. :lol: Here's modified code that won't have that issue; Unbuildable items will stay unbuildable.

UPDATE Units SET 'Cost' = cost*0.8 WHERE Cost > 0;

James009
Sep 29, 2010, 03:59 AM
Pretty powerful stuff there.

ytswy
Sep 29, 2010, 04:41 AM
v4 looks very interesting. Was planning on trying it last night but my monitor decided it was a good time to fail... :(

Will definitely try it or any later version in a couple of days though...

kaltorak
Sep 29, 2010, 05:10 AM
deleted

Giskler
Sep 29, 2010, 06:12 AM
Do you realise that research has been increased by 75% and not 50% in v4? 150% -> 225%.

Also, 50% on wonders feels a bit overkill. Spending 30-40 turns on building one is a tad long.

Valkrionn
Sep 29, 2010, 09:11 AM
Pretty powerful stuff there.

And my example was just the easy stuff. :lol: SQL is awesome.

Valkrionn
Sep 29, 2010, 09:12 AM
Do you realise that research has been increased by 75% and not 50% in v4? 150% -> 225%.

Also, 50% on wonders feels a bit overkill. Spending 30-40 turns on building one is a tad long.

Sorry for the double post, college filters the site so I'm working through a translator site. :lol:

You seem to misunderstand what he did. He did not ADD 50%. He MODIFIED it by 50%. 150 * 1.5 = 225.

Doing it that way, you better preserve the ratio between different tech costs.

Puer
Sep 29, 2010, 11:47 AM
can anybody covert this mod Version 4 to proper .civ5mod format?

Civ Fuehrer
Oct 08, 2010, 03:59 AM
Can you take out the tech/wonder speeds for this? Valk's economy mod already does this and I'd hate to see the effects stack. I want this mod for the tile yields, no more. (Not that I can't do that myself, but I really just like to plug 'n' play than mess around with mods before I can play with it.)

Huck Finn
Oct 08, 2010, 11:17 PM
Can you take out the tech/wonder speeds for this? Valk's economy mod already does this and I'd hate to see the effects stack. I want this mod for the tile yields, no more. (Not that I can't do that myself, but I really just like to plug 'n' play than mess around with mods before I can play with it.)

Just don't install the two XML's that change Buildings and Gamespeeds. You don't have to use mine to get the tile changes.

timtofly
Oct 12, 2010, 06:10 PM
These files have helped out playing the demo's 100 turns. There is a couple of questions though. I lost the ability to see the horses and iron icon next to the culture count at the top of the screen. I also can see the oil, coal, and uranium resources. I realize this is the demo,but wanted any insight someone can give.

Playing Darius against Elizabeth has been a great learning experience, however She has yet to create a single ocean going vessel. She has built the great wall, stonehedge, and the great lighthouse.