View Full Version : True Start Location Earth Maps

Dale
Sep 22, 2010, 09:49 PM
True Start Location Earth Maps

This map pack contains all of Civilization Vs Earth maps with true start locations. All Civs (and City-States) begin the game in their correct location. The pack includes a TSL version for each map size.

To install, download this file and place in your mods folder at ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization V\MODS\. Run the game, go into the MODS menu and click BROWSE. The mod will install automatically.

Activate the mod, click Setup Game and choose the map - each map has the prefix TSL. Ensure Load Scenario is ticked.

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15400

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/downloads/tsl_S50.jpg

Quetz
Sep 22, 2010, 09:52 PM
Was about to start a game with this, just wondering: Any way to get the resource quantity selector thingy to appear with these? It goes away when you select the map (by design I'm guessing, but just checking since I like to play on super abundant)

Dale
Sep 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
Do you mean advanced options?

Kruelgor
Sep 22, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hmmmm. I just tried TSL Earth Large. I maximized the number of civilizations and city states in the settings. I was Russia and it put me in Australia along with Rome and some other civilization there on Australia.

I'm going to try the TSL Earth Huge and see.

edit: nevermind, you have to click on the "load scenario" button. It works.

Kruelgor
Sep 22, 2010, 10:36 PM
I tried TSL Earth Huge, maximized the number of civilizations and city states and it stuck me (Russia) in central Africa.

I will now try it without adjusting the number of civilizations see what happens.

Shiggs713
Sep 22, 2010, 10:47 PM
you HAVE to have load scenario checked. Basically I don't think you can go into advanced setup because if you do there is no load scenario button to check. I looked quite vigorously and it was not there, but if you don't go into advanced setup... only go the "set up game" screen and launch from there.

btw I loaded up as Japan, and I was in the correct spot, not what I was expecting but I'm not complaining. Anyhow there real problem is that I can see some city state on the other side of there world, and the fog of war isn't removed either. I've met a few civs from there too, so still some bugs.

Kruelgor
Sep 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
I will now try it without adjusting the number of civilizations see what happens.

No luck. I didn't change any settings this time and it still didn't work. Civilizations were randomly scattered everywhere.

Kruelgor
Sep 22, 2010, 10:50 PM
ahhh...ok. I got to click on the load scenario button. Man, I can see where a lot of new people aren't going to figure this out right away.

Kruelgor
Sep 22, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hmmm. The AI has a tendency to establish its capital where it doesn't belong. It would be nice if the capital cities were already established in its proper spot when the scenario begins.

Dale
Sep 22, 2010, 11:24 PM
ahhh...ok. I got to click on the load scenario button. Man, I can see where a lot of new people aren't going to figure this out right away.

BTW, you just highlighted you don't read instructions. ;)

That's been in the OP all along.

Dale
Sep 22, 2010, 11:24 PM
btw I loaded up as Japan, and I was in the correct spot, not what I was expecting but I'm not complaining. Anyhow there real problem is that I can see some city state on the other side of there world, and the fog of war isn't removed either. I've met a few civs from there too, so still some bugs.

Yeah confirmed. I'll have to fix it up and upload a V2. They mentioned this over at 2k forums as well.

Shiggs713
Sep 23, 2010, 02:37 AM
wow, thats probably the worst english I've used in a long time. Great mod/map Dale, I'm playing emperor/epic as England currently and having a blast. So much better having everything in its place.

SalmonSoil
Sep 23, 2010, 03:08 AM
Are the resources in the right places?
I'm from NZ so I don't get ciV till tomorrow and so I can't download to check.

Dale
Sep 23, 2010, 05:00 AM
Are the resources in the right places?
I'm from NZ so I don't get ciV till tomorrow and so I can't download to check.

No only Civs. I ain't spending a month researching and placing correct resources. :p

SalmonSoil
Sep 23, 2010, 05:01 AM
No only Civs. I ain't spending a month researching and placing correct resources. :p

Well hopefully someone does! I might create a rough approximation using the Earth map which came with cIV.

Flash1
Sep 23, 2010, 05:18 AM
Okay, I enabled the mod. However, when I go back to setup game the maps do not show up. What am I doing wrong?

Dale
Sep 23, 2010, 05:30 AM
Okay, I enabled the mod. However, when I go back to setup game the maps do not show up. What am I doing wrong?

Did you enable the mod (click the tick button)?

Flash1
Sep 23, 2010, 05:46 AM
yes, I finally got the button to light up. (didn't want to turn on).

Just found out you can't custom it. Anyway to use more than 12 civs?

Dale
Sep 23, 2010, 06:03 AM
Use a bigger map. ;)

Trust me, when I was placing the civs, I went no closer than 4 hexes between each. Less than 4 and you won't even fit one productive city each in Europe.

The problem is there is too many European Civs.

Flash1
Sep 23, 2010, 06:07 AM
Dale I understand.

Why won't the save game work?

I loaded the huge map as Rome. it put me between Ragula and venetia.

I saved first, so I could see if I could move off of the cows. Of course not. so I went to reload and couldn't.

Dale
Sep 23, 2010, 06:17 AM
Hmmm...... Kael mentioned something about this. I'll see if I can find it.

Dale
Sep 23, 2010, 06:19 AM
Here it is:

Workaround: The save games are still saved in the "..\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModdedSaves" directory. You can manually load them by double clicking the save file form that directory.

strategyonly
Sep 23, 2010, 07:29 AM
So i take it, Notepad doesNOT work anymore?

Kruelgor
Sep 23, 2010, 07:44 AM

Still kind of irrelevant since most people downloading the mod will not be reading your instructions here on this forum.

Also, a player has to activate "turn on" the mod THEN they have to "tick" (sheesh who uses the word tick in replacement of click) on load scenario, and THEN you're going to have people tempted to go to advanced options which is what I did and that screws everything up, so this is an absolute mess for new people. Once they figure it out it will be easy for them, but initially a lot of people are going to mess this up and that can only be blamed on the game design. Who beta tested this and gave poor feedback :) j/k. There are a lot of words all over the screen and so the "load scenario" button doesn't stand out enough. Might want to add another "load scenario" button on the advanced options screen too, just to be on the safe side. Doesn't matter what kind of excuse you want to throw out, the bottom line is I can guarantee you lots and lots of people are going to mess this up initially. Oh well, they'll figure it out after a few tries.

Also, that part where you have to activate the mod by clicking that small little circle. Lots of people are going to miss that too. That definitely can be improved.

Not user-friendly at all.

Still though, Dale this is a good map, it should make lots of people very happy.

Also, I think a better spot for the "load scenario" button would be directly next to the START game button.

Lordevan83
Sep 23, 2010, 08:46 AM
I browsed and downloaded the mod. But it wont show up as installed. Anyone help?

Soduka
Sep 23, 2010, 08:55 AM
I browsed and downloaded the mod. But it wont show up as installed. Anyone help?

Did you install Steam/CiV on anything other than your C: drive? I did and I can't install any mods either.

Lordevan83
Sep 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
ya it's on D drive not C. On my other comp it worked when the game is installed on C.

Kruelgor
Sep 23, 2010, 09:31 AM
Did you install Steam/CiV on anything other than your C: drive? I did and I can't install any mods either.

When you attempted to download the mods, did it say it completed download? I know mine was frozen for a few minutes on "connecting". I can't remember if it automatically installed or if I had to click on something to manually install it.

Kruelgor
Sep 23, 2010, 09:32 AM
ya it's on D drive not C. On my other comp it worked when the game is installed on C.

Looks like you might be on to something there.

Shiggs713
Sep 23, 2010, 09:49 AM
Still kind of irrelevant since most people downloading the mod will not be reading your instructions here on this forum.

Also, a player has to activate "turn on" the mod THEN they have to "tick" (sheesh who uses the word tick in replacement of click) on load scenario, and THEN you're going to have people tempted to go to advanced options which is what I did and that screws everything up, so this is an absolute mess for new people. Once they figure it out it will be easy for them, but initially a lot of people are going to mess this up and that can only be blamed on the game design. Who beta tested this and gave poor feedback :) j/k. There are a lot of words all over the screen and so the "load scenario" button doesn't stand out enough. Might want to add another "load scenario" button on the advanced options screen too, just to be on the safe side. Doesn't matter what kind of excuse you want to throw out, the bottom line is I can guarantee you lots and lots of people are going to mess this up initially. Oh well, they'll figure it out after a few tries.

Also, that part where you have to activate the mod by clicking that small little circle. Lots of people are going to miss that too. That definitely can be improved.

Still though, Dale this is a good map, it should make lots of people very happy.

Also, I think a better spot for the "load scenario" button would be directly next to the START game button.

you are 100% correct. I probably have 100 mods installed for Civ4, I created about 4 of them. I still had trouble figuring this out, mainly because of the "custom game" and "setup game" options are not very clear, I guess everybody will just have to deal with it and figure it out on their own like you said, because only poor game design can be attributed to this problem.

I was wondering Dale, is this some map script? It appears the actual tiles were the same, but I started 2 separate games as England, one game I had horses and another I didn't, but both times I played the RSL Huge Earth.... just curious.

Elhoim
Sep 23, 2010, 10:30 AM
Great work, Dale! How many civs and city states does the huge map have? Thanks!

dragonmetal
Sep 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
I keep getting a game freeze with these TSL maps. I'm playing on standard size. Last night, I watched Oslo attack it's own units, which is when the game froze. This started after the city states ganged up on Arabia. Problem is, Oslo was an ally of Arabia but also joined the city state alliance.

Have never seen this playing regular Civ V maps.

Lordevan83
Sep 23, 2010, 12:20 PM
Do the tiny and duel size maps still have city states with all those civs?

Dale
Sep 23, 2010, 02:07 PM
Strategyonly:
No, notepad won't work.

Kruelgor:
I got no say in the mod interface. You'll have to post it at 2K forums to be passed onto the devs.

Shiggs:
The maps have random resources turned on. That's why it appears different each time.

Elhoim:
All of them! Oh hang on, I think there's a couple CS's like Florence, Genoa, Monaco and Sidon (or Tyre) that sit on top of existing ones which I didn't add.

dragonmetal:
Due to the number of Civs/CS's on the map some of them repeat colours. That's why it probably seemed like they were attacking themselves.

Lordevan:
Yes there's a few there (I think duel only has 5 or 6).

shadow322
Sep 23, 2010, 02:51 PM
Dale, I find I can't install your mod and any other mods. Can you go to the link below and help me install your mod? Thanks. I described my problem in the link below.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=382254

Kordanor
Sep 23, 2010, 03:19 PM
I am not very used to Civ mods (and especially not to Civ5 Mods with Civ5 releasing in 3 hours) so I got a few questions:
1. Can you play this Scenario in Multiplayer? I heared that you can't play the earth script there.
2. Are the ressources random every time you start?
3. Did anyone who played it experience issues with their starting location in regards to fairness?

Numi
Sep 23, 2010, 03:43 PM
Im confused, i thought they hadnt released any mod or mapmaking tools yet, how are you editing stuff like this?

strategyonly
Sep 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
Im confused, i thought they hadnt released any mod or mapmaking tools yet, how are you editing stuff like this?

They know Frankenstein:joke:

Kruelgor
Sep 23, 2010, 04:32 PM

He and a few others were beta testers and so they still have the beta tools.

Flamegrape
Sep 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
I placed the mod file in the proper folder. I started Civ5 and it crashed before I got to the menu screen.

Anyone else have this problem?

Shiggs713
Sep 23, 2010, 06:04 PM
civ5 has crashed several times for me, even before I installed any mods. Always when I try to click or escape thru the opening video. It has nothing to do with the mod if its crashing before the main menu.

Falconius
Sep 23, 2010, 06:26 PM
Nice job, Dale, as always! I'll stop complaining in that other thread now! :lol:

Sayounara
Sep 23, 2010, 06:33 PM
Still, world builder should've been released by now.

IDK about resource location but why not just copy old map. Not easy?

eris23
Sep 24, 2010, 04:09 AM
So, any workaround for having installed it on D:\

Because I don't really feel like reinstalling Steam and all my games thereon onto C:\

Shiggs713
Sep 24, 2010, 04:20 AM
the workaround; Don't install games on D:\ like the other 95% of us.

Kordanor
Sep 24, 2010, 04:31 AM
I don't have Steam on C, too. Sorry, but having Steam on C is equal like installing games to suggested programs folder to C.

However: Did you try to create a "fake" tree of directories on C? Basically faking the directory structure only to have the mods in the "right place".

Dale
Sep 24, 2010, 04:36 AM
There's apparently been a Civ5 patch to address the bugs. I'm not sure if all have been resolved.

gawaing
Sep 24, 2010, 06:36 AM
one sugestion: could you da the island of janpan a litte big, becuase the mount Fuji is a real barrier

Bubba
Sep 24, 2010, 06:48 AM
I agree that someone needs to make a standard size world map that focuses more on playability and look, rather than strict realism. The island nations (England, Japan) need to be bigger and better shaped, the great lakes region of North America needs tweaking (where is the St. Lawerence river, the maritimes, etc), Europe should bumped out a little and made a little bigger, etc.

Someone also needs to fix the load game problem.

The_J
Sep 24, 2010, 07:00 AM
So, any workaround for having installed it on D:\

Because I don't really feel like reinstalling Steam and all my games thereon onto C:\

Try looking at this thread. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=382525)

Eye in the Sky
Sep 24, 2010, 07:11 AM
Has it been noted as to why it seems that the developers have never bothered coming out with a super duper huge realistic earth map with all the right starting positions and so on for official release in any civ game? The one they put out in an expansion for civ4 doesnt count, not large enough.

Dale
Sep 24, 2010, 07:30 AM
I agree that someone needs to make a standard size world map that focuses more on playability and look, rather than strict realism. The island nations (England, Japan) need to be bigger and better shaped, the great lakes region of North America needs tweaking (where is the St. Lawerence river, the maritimes, etc), Europe should bumped out a little and made a little bigger, etc.

When the mod tools come out, why not have a try yourself? :)

Someone also needs to fix the load game problem.

That's been fixed in the latest patch (though you will need to start a new game, it won't be able to load old mod saves still).

I_am_sin7
Sep 24, 2010, 07:36 AM
i dont post much another of the long term lurkers here ;) but this thred reminded me, who remembers tue fantastic "marla singers world map" ? that was a true work of art! inspired me to make a complete map of the lord of the rings world. if the editor was released i'd be tempted too try it^^. forgive any poor english- posting from myphone.
i still remember loading civ1 on my old 386 when i was bout 11-12 and loading the world map over and over till my chosen civ started in the right place - pity bout all the other civs of course!

City Builder
Sep 24, 2010, 07:45 AM
Here it is:
Workaround: The save games are still saved in the "..\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModdedSaves" directory. You can manually load them by double clicking the save file form that directory

Which file did they associate the civ5save file format with? When I click the save, it simply has windows asking me what I want to do with the file, or to look on the web to find out what to do with it. And if I associate it with the Civilization11.exe file then it simply launches the loader anyways and takes me to the main menu instead of auto loading the save file.

Depending on the performance of the new editor when released, I'll certainly have a go at creating a large world map, but if performance is anythign like it was with the world builder in 4 then I'll just have to pass as I don't really have enough patience to build a whole earth hex by hex. But being able to paint it on the ground would be great like so many other game editors allow, when I tried it in 4's world builder I couldn't stand it that when I'd try to paint the landscape it would simply skip squares due to poor performance.

Dale
Sep 24, 2010, 07:56 AM
Don't worry about the workaround. The patch a few hours ago fixed the bug. :)

R0GERSHRUBBER
Sep 24, 2010, 08:47 AM
Does this mod affect the map generation script? I've noticed that sometimes major islands end up connected to continents (e.g. Britain connecting to France) even on Large.

How about resource locations? When I loaded the mod on Small, I noticed England had wine.

Thanks for your work.

Ick of the East
Sep 24, 2010, 08:50 AM
Great Dale.
The starting location for the Siamese is quite a bit off. You've got Sukhothai where Bangkok is now, instead of up north about 3 or 4 hexes. Not a big deal being closer to Hanoi, because there are lots of resources around there and you should be able to take them out soon.

Mef
Sep 24, 2010, 09:35 AM
I agree that someone needs to make a standard size world map that focuses more on playability and look, rather than strict realism.

I'm sure there will be plenty of World Maps shortly after the editing tools come out.

I'm going to make maps which are geared more towards realism but I'm sure there will be someone who will make a map that focuses on playability.

Try looking at this thread. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=382525)

This thread has nothing to do with the C: bug. If Civ V is not installed in C:, nothing shows up in the "installed" tab.

the workaround; Don't install games on D:\ like the other 95% of us.

:lol: Are you serious? Why would I install games on my Windows partition (C: )?
I have Steam and its games on F: and I hope this bug gets fixed quickly... :rolleyes:

-Fatboy-
Sep 24, 2010, 10:44 AM
anyone know why i can load up my save game, ? is not saving it into the mod files but the normal save files and when i try and load up it says its not compatible with the mod, Im really enjoying this map but not able to save and load in dose ruin it for me

eris23
Sep 24, 2010, 11:03 AM
What patch? There is no patch...at least not on steam.

Also, I thought it to be common practice to not install games on the OS partition...

Monyu
Sep 24, 2010, 12:53 PM
I've done everything until the load scenario part. I cant find where to click the Load Scenario god this is pissing me off they really need to make this easier to set up if they want this game to be the most moddable game .

Edit: wow i just fixed it after posting this /fail thanks again dale

geebo
Sep 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
Nice start. But there are a few issues. When your Rome after you build your capital the city states surrounding you can't build a city and wont move. Also Arabia starts in Babylon's starting location and after Mecca is built Persia cannot build their capital city and doesn't move. The settler just stands there. Please move Arabia to the Arabic peninsula not Mesopotamia. Great start just wanted to give you some background. Thanks for all your work.

Kruelgor
Sep 24, 2010, 01:56 PM
Please move Arabia to the Arabic peninsula not Mesopotamia.

Keep in mind that the AI may not establish its capital exactly on its start location. It may move somewhere else and then build its capital.

When I create Kruelgor's Real Earth scenario I will have the capital cities already built on turn 1.

geebo
Sep 24, 2010, 02:06 PM
Keep in mind that the AI may not establish its capital exactly on its start location. It may move somewhere else and then build its capital.

When I create Kruelgor's Real Earth scenario I will have the capital cities already built on turn 1.

I know I was Arabia, and it started me between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. Cant wait for your map! I only play real world maps

Elhoim
Sep 24, 2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah confirmed. I'll have to fix it up and upload a V2. They mentioned this over at 2k forums as well.

Were you able to fix this? :)

Dale
Sep 24, 2010, 03:52 PM
I know I was Arabia, and it started me between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. Cant wait for your map! I only play real world maps

If you read Harun's pedia entry, and look him up on the net, you'll find his capital city was Baghdad.

lobster
Sep 24, 2010, 04:08 PM
Although I haven't got this game yet, I would like to say thanks to Dale this TSL map is what I always want to play in Civ. Thanks Dale again.

One thing though - since the Chinese leader is Wu Zetian, shouldn't her starting location be in Xi'an (or Chang'an to be accurate), in mid-west China instead of Beijing?

geebo
Sep 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
If you read Harun's pedia entry, and look him up on the net, you'll find his capital city was Baghdad.

I see… regardless Persia still cant build their first city. Their settler just stands there.

ashmizen
Sep 24, 2010, 05:08 PM
Agree with the above poster - this also would give China and Japan a bit more space in between them. The problem is, though, that the first city name will always default to Beijing. I suppose once this is made into a scenerio with pre-built cities, it would be easy to name it correctly.

Arabia may have moved it capital to Iraq, but it started in Saudi Arabia. Iraq was a later conquest, so it would make sense to make its starting location Mecca and they can always conquer Iraq like they did historically.

biggamer132
Sep 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
Agree with the above poster - this also would give China and Japan a bit more space in between them. The problem is, though, that the first city name will always default to Beijing. I suppose once this is made into a scenerio with pre-built cities, it would be easy to name it correctly.

Arabia may have moved it capital to Iraq, but it started in Saudi Arabia. Iraq was a later conquest, so it would make sense to make its starting location Mecca and they can always conquer Iraq like they did historically.
Indeed. Also, for that thousand years or so between the Babylonians and the Arabs, Mesopotamia was the center of the various Persian empires - the reason the Abbasids moved the capital of the Caliphate to Baghdad in the first place was to be closer to all of their supporters in Iran. I'd say either the Hejaz or Syria would be the best starting point for the Arabs - they weren't the dominant group in Mesopotamia until after the Islamic conquest.

Dale
Sep 24, 2010, 05:30 PM
All I can suggest is wait for the mod tools and make your own. :)

I'm working on other more complex mod examples for the community. :)

geebo
Sep 24, 2010, 05:35 PM
All I can suggest is wait for the mod tools and make your own. :)

I'm working on other more complex mod examples for the community. :)

So no V2? How can I move Arabia back to the Arabic peninsula?

Skafsgaard
Sep 24, 2010, 05:41 PM
First off, let me say that though criticism is always useful, you really need to get some acknowledgement on this, Dale!
I already expressed my excitement in the download section for this mod, as well rating it in the in-game mod browser, but you need to hear it again. This is just awesome - it's fantastic!
I had thought that my biggest gripe with ciV was going to be that I couldn't play with Historical Start Locations on an Earth map, right off the bat, but you did away with that concern of mine :)

I'm also pleased to learn that:
Strategyonly:
The maps have random resources turned on. That's why it appears different each time.

As this will provide some variety. I was a bit disappointed when I first played the mod, only to find that my favorite civilization, Greece, didn't have any resources near them what so ever! But then I realized that they were random - which is great! (:
Though, I've got to ask, would it be possible to add a way to select the algorithm for how resources are placed, as in when you set up a regular game and can pick one of several options when you go into advanced?
I have no idea if there might be any sort of limitation on ciV, making it unable to do this for mods, but I hope not. Is it something you can confirm, and if there is no engine-wise limitation, can you enable this option?
I vastly prefer going with "Balanced Start", as a resource option, myself. Of course, that's just me.

Anyway, awesome job on this mod, mate!
It' exactly what I thought would be missing in civ! :D

EDIT:
I apologize for any spelling and/or grammatical errors.
My usual insomnia has made a sick combo with not being able to stop playing ciV, and thus neglecting all other necessities. I just had a wicked game that went for 17 hours. Straight. And I've been up for double as long as that - I am wasted. So please excuse me. T_T

Thorburne
Sep 24, 2010, 08:16 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of World Maps shortly after the editing tools come out.

I'm going to make maps which are geared more towards realism but I'm sure there will be someone who will make a map that focuses on playability.

I have plans to try just that... a playable map that has a feel of Earth. It won't be Earth, but I will attempt to make it similar (and maybe a mimic a bit of the geography), but it will be geared more toward allowing the packed in Civs to be a bit more playable. I just wish they would release the WB already! My vacation is almost over and my time will be greatly restricted once I return to work on Monday.

With that said, has anybody figured out the map sizes yet? I would like to get started with planning but I haven't yet reached a point where I can safely calculate the number of hexes. I know if I were to try with what I got, and I got the estimation wrong, it could really destroy any maps that I work on before the tools get released and I'll likely have to start over from scratch. Or can map sizes be set in the WB? I am particularly looking at the huge maps.

PS... I guess that pic that you posted, Dale, is from the standard or small size? I just can't see how it would be even playable. I have been playing the huge one and I am fine with that... though Italy is messed up and I agree that Japan should be fattened up a little. I can't imagine those on any smaller of a map!

civ_king
Sep 24, 2010, 08:55 PM
Could you please post images of all the map sizes?
Pretty Please?

Stacmon
Sep 24, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hello Dale,

Thank you immensely for this mod. I am very happy that something like this exists, because I really enjoy playing on Earth Maps with realistic start locations, especially when just starting to play a new Civ game.

I wanted to comment on the placement choice of two capitals.

Capital Placement for the Arabs: Arguments in favour of Mecca

I understand why from the quote above you chose Baghdad and this was initially what I figured your rationale might be. While what you're saying is accurate, it is important to know that for a variety of religious, historical and game-related reasons, the present day location of Mecca seems to be a stronger choice for the location of the capital. Here are the arguments I can think of:

1) The modern day Arab language and culture derives from Mecca and the surrounding region (particularly the Quraysh tribe, which dominated the city). This makes it a very logical starting point for the Arabs, especially in the ancient, classical and medieval eras.

2) Mecca is considered the religious heart and holiest city for Muslims, which of course were synonymous with the first Arabs as we know them today.

3) That region, Hedjaz (specifically the nearby city of Medina but also Mecca), became the political centre of the early Muslim community and remained the capital of the growing Islamic empire during the period of the first four ("rightly guided") caliphs.

4) Although the leader of Arabia in this game is Harun Al-Rashid, and the capital during his time was Baghdad, the capital of the Caliphate has changed repeatedly over its history. In fact, a tradition eventually developed in which each new Muslim/Arab dynasty established a new capital as a symbol of "renewal" and a break with the past.

Consider for example Civ 4. The leader of the Arabs in that game was Saladin and under his rule, the capital of the Caliphate was established in Cairo (Egypt) and later Damascus (Syria). However, despite this, the capital for the Arabian empire was chosen to be Mecca in Civ 4 (probably for some of the reasons I mentioned above). In fact, when the Ottomans were in their ascendancy, the Caliphate was reestablished in Istanbul, where it remained until it was abolished in the early 20th Century.

Therefore, Mecca represents a more "timeless" choice that strongly applies regardless of the epoch.

5) The first city (and therefore capital) founded by Arabs in the game is Mecca. This means a computer player, or player that does not rename the city, will found "Mecca" where Baghdad is supposed to be, if that location is kept. The other capital cities however, are named and placed correctly and it looks out of place to see Mecca in modern day Iraq.

6) Moving the location to modern day Mecca would also space out the nearby civilizations and leave Mesopotamia available for settlement by these powers. This area has historically been ruled by the Babylonians, Persians, Romans, Arabs and Ottomans, so it would make for an interesting "prize" for any of these nations based on its very fertile land.

Capital Placement for the Persians: The Location of Persepolis

I also wanted to note that the current location for Persepolis is a bit off. Currently it is not far from Kuwait in Southeastern Iraq. However, it could be moved further eastward in the Iranian plateau to improve realism. (This applies to the Huge map, I don't know about the others).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/PersepolisMap.png

All of this feedback is only meant to further improve what is a fantastic mod and to offer my own (very minor) contribution. If you would like to discuss further, I would be happy to.

I'm also eager to hear what others think and if they agree with me regarding the placement/choice of Mecca.

Ick of the East
Sep 24, 2010, 09:23 PM

Well, that's the problem when you base the civilizations on leader names; The game starts in 4000 B.C., but you've got leaders who ruled in the 16th Century.

If the Arabs want to conquer Baghdad, as they did in the real world, great. But starting there just feels wrong.

I would ignore the leader's name and go with where the civilization sprang from.
The Arabs should start in Arabia, and the Chinese around Xian, for example.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope Egypt doesn't build an Alexandria. That was a city built (or renamed) by Greek conquerors. If the Greeks can do it again in the game, great. But having the Egyptians build Alexandria is like a Native American civilization building New York.

a1Basco
Sep 24, 2010, 09:25 PM
To those who installed on another drive other than C.

Use 7 zip or something to extract the contents of the mod into the maps folder.

I still have the original file in the mods folder, and it works for me now =p

Ick of the East
Sep 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
Consider for example Civ 4. The leader of the Arabs in that game was Saladin.

Which was funny, considering he was a Kurd and not an Arab. :crazyeye:

CyberChrist
Sep 24, 2010, 10:42 PM
Since most of us are currently unable to modify maps/scenarios ourselves - are there any chance that you could release a version of the maps (or at least the huge map) with fixed resources?

a1Basco
Sep 25, 2010, 01:25 AM
ok,I tried to load a save game, but it tells me that the mods loaded are not compatible.

I have TSL loaded, and I even tried loading a save with it unloaded. It's the only mod I have,

Kind of sucks, because I was really enjoying the game I was playing, and now I can't load it. O.o

It's just a map right? Is there a way I can just modify the save game so that it doesn't think I need to load a mod?

Shiggs713
Sep 25, 2010, 01:27 AM
its a bug, currently you have to actually double click the save game from the folder its in, for it to load up properly. At least thats what the word is.

edit: and btw I doubt Dale is going to work on this much more. He already said he has other mods he's working on, and really map creation is something almost anybody should be able to do (if they'd hurry up already and release the tools). That said, the map is nigh unplayable with all the imbalance and clutter of too many civs/city states too close to one another, but it'll make everything that much easier for whoever does the next versions of earth.

a1Basco
Sep 25, 2010, 01:45 AM
I do that, and it just opens up civ. Doesn't actually load the save. =(

idragon
Sep 25, 2010, 02:13 AM
great job mate, i was looking for something like this!

Flash1
Sep 25, 2010, 04:07 AM
Actually, since all saves go into the main save folder... moving the save game into the ModdedSaves folder works in game. I copied a beging game as Rome. I copied and pasted it. I looked in mod load game menu. It showed both copies. The moved copy worked just fine.

aguds
Sep 25, 2010, 04:25 AM
The screenshot in the OP; what size of map is that? Do you have screens of all map-sizes?

eris23
Sep 25, 2010, 05:51 AM
To those who installed on another drive other than C.

Use 7 zip or something to extract the contents of the mod into the maps folder.

I still have the original file in the mods folder, and it works for me now =p

Sweet, thx.

Dale
Sep 25, 2010, 06:23 AM
Well, that's the problem when you base the civilizations on leader names; The game starts in 4000 B.C., but you've got leaders who ruled in the 16th Century.

If the Arabs want to conquer Baghdad, as they did in the real world, great. But starting there just feels wrong.

I would ignore the leader's name and go with where the civilization sprang from.
The Arabs should start in Arabia, and the Chinese around Xian, for example.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hope Egypt doesn't build an Alexandria. That was a city built (or renamed) by Greek conquerors. If the Greeks can do it again in the game, great. But having the Egyptians build Alexandria is like a Native American civilization building New York.

Ok, I'll move America to England too.

I've already said I won't be making changes. There were lots and lots of requests for a true start version of Firaxis earth maps. I've already got a long list of mods to do, but I took a day out of my time to make them.

Like I said above, I could take a month of time to get these maps perfect. But then you wouldn't see the new strategic resource, civ the card game, tactical war scenarios, custom setup screen tutorials, or any of the other much more complex mods on my list. Which do you think is more important for the community? A set of TSL's which take a month to make perfect which anyone could do with world builder? Or mod tutorials, examples of how to make complex mods and generally helping build up the mod community? ;)

xbhaskarx
Sep 25, 2010, 06:58 AM
I signed up just to post in this thread, which is a success for this forum but not a good sign for the user friendliness of any mod....

Ensure Load Scenario is ticked.

Someone might have mentioned that the "Load Scenario" tick mark appears under "Map Type" after you select the map... All the people out there who are not reading this thread could think it's the "Enabled" check mark under Mods or the "Start Scenario" button.

So will this ever allow for Advanced Setup changes? I fully customize every game so as of now this does not work for me, it's one interesting feature that severely limits twenty others.
Also it sure seems like not being able to select opposing civilizations pretty much kills off half the usefulness of this thing....

Stacmon
Sep 25, 2010, 06:58 AM
Ok, I'll move America to England too.

I've already said I won't be making changes. There were lots and lots of requests for a true start version of Firaxis earth maps. I've already got a long list of mods to do, but I took a day out of my time to make them.

Sorry Dale, I didn't notice that you were not planning to make any changes at all to the maps. I remembered reading that you did not want to spend all the time adding individual resources but I thought since it was the first version, some start location changes could take place. My hope was simply to provide you with some feedback on why present-day Mecca would be a good Arab start location, based on the knowledge I have as an Arab and a Muslim.

As I emphasized before, it is a great mod and I appreciate the time you spent. I think both Ick and I were just trying to be helpful, although he was a bit more direct with his thoughts.

I'm happy to hear that you're working on Civ 5 mods. You made several important ones for Civ 4 that really improved gameplay.

Flash1
Sep 25, 2010, 07:00 AM
Dale,

What editor did you use to open the map files, if they can be opened.

Skafsgaard
Sep 25, 2010, 07:04 AM
Dale,

He beta-tested, so he has access to the worldbuilder, which we don't yet.

TX-Zen
Sep 25, 2010, 07:47 AM
I do that, and it just opens up civ. Doesn't actually load the save. =(

ETA: NM I got it, for some reason enable mod was unchecked

I have the same problem and I can't get it to load with any method.

I've moved the save game into the moddedsaves folder

Tried to launch it with CivVLauncher and Sid Meier's Civilization V, also tried the DX9 version

Launched a new game with the same mod and tried to open the old save game from moddedsaves

and a few other combinations, nothing is working

Anyone have any suggestions?

Z

Gr3yHound
Sep 25, 2010, 08:58 AM
Dale,

Civ5mod files seem to be plain 7z Zip files. Opening the Civ5map files inside with a hex editor will give you some idea how the format is structured. I couldn't play arround with it yet, but it looks pretty much like a binary version of the Wbs files known from Civ4. Looking at those i'm very positive the Civ4 <-> Civ5 conversion will work very seamlessly.

Flamegrape
Sep 25, 2010, 11:18 AM
Crash to desktop. :(

Dell Precision 670
Intel Xeon CPU 3.4 GHz (dual processors)
2.75 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI

CrazyAce
Sep 25, 2010, 11:23 AM
Which do you think is more important for the community? A set of TSL's which take a month to make perfect which anyone could do with world builder? Or mod tutorials, examples of how to make complex mods and generally helping build up the mod community? ;)

I choose to know how to make this game my own; don’t know about you all. Dale nice work.:goodjob:

Gomer_Pyle
Sep 25, 2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks for a great mod once again Dale.

One question. Babylon. Would it be possible to have that added too???

xbhaskarx
Sep 25, 2010, 01:13 PM
Babylon. Would it be possible to have that added too???

And since Bablyon would have to be added somewhere in the center of modern day Iraq, the Arab civilization would have to be moved to Mecca, where it belongs. :D

idragon
Sep 25, 2010, 01:29 PM
its a decent start but bugged, on standard map there problems on diplomacy on Japan, India and others. And the distance between states its way too small. On huge map, most of the civ states dont even get to build their capital, they remain stuck.

Now we just need the mod tools, to fix what Mr Sid's team didn't had time or bothered to do. Its a good game, but unfinished, but they released it modable for community to improve, fix the game for free.

Yay for greedy publishers and companies.

Sayounara
Sep 25, 2010, 01:38 PM
You really don't know when they'll be released? :\

Dale
Sep 25, 2010, 02:57 PM
You really don't know when they'll be released? :\

2KGreg said next week on 2K forums.

Dale
Sep 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry Dale, I didn't notice that you were not planning to make any changes at all to the maps. I remembered reading that you did not want to spend all the time adding individual resources but I thought since it was the first version, some start location changes could take place. My hope was simply to provide you with some feedback on why present-day Mecca would be a good Arab start location, based on the knowledge I have as an Arab and a Muslim.

As I emphasized before, it is a great mod and I appreciate the time you spent. I think both Ick and I were just trying to be helpful, although he was a bit more direct with his thoughts.

I'm happy to hear that you're working on Civ 5 mods. You made several important ones for Civ 4 that really improved gameplay.

Sorry I was a bit narky in my reply. :)

Basically what I was trying to say was that I think my modding time is better served by helping to expand information on how to mod Civ5 and providing examples on the hub for other modders, than doing something everyone will be able to do once I write the world builder tutorial. :)

Stacmon
Sep 25, 2010, 05:15 PM
Basically what I was trying to say was that I think my modding time is better served by helping to expand information on how to mod Civ5 and providing examples on the hub for other modders, than doing something everyone will be able to do once I write the world builder tutorial. :)

This is an absolutely fair point.

Teaching others what they'll need to know is one of the best ways to ensure that there will be an active (and capable) Civ 5 modding community.

Pablod
Sep 25, 2010, 06:09 PM
when you do a patch add 28 city state to huge earth
and give space betwen them
please and thank you

Dale
Sep 25, 2010, 06:58 PM
This is an absolutely fair point.

Teaching others what they'll need to know is one of the best ways to ensure that there will be an active (and capable) Civ 5 modding community.

Give a man a fish, he east for a day. Teach a man to fish, he eats for life. ;)

Dale
Sep 25, 2010, 07:12 PM
I just found out if you wish to earn Steam achievements off these maps, move the map files to ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Maps\

If you play a map from a mod Steam achievements are disabled. :)

rifton007
Sep 25, 2010, 07:22 PM
Sorry for my English I'm French.
Very good mod.
But the Arab civilization is poorly located.
How to change the location, thank you.

rifton007
Sep 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'm sorry, I delete what I said.
I just saw that the subject has already been addressed.
Dale thank you for this mod and good luck.

TrustyTory
Sep 25, 2010, 07:51 PM
This mod isn't activating for me. It says "new mods ready to install" - it does the same with any other mod I try to download. Then it does this quick blip and then goes back to the "no mods installed" screen. Any idea what I can do here?

Shiggs713
Sep 25, 2010, 08:01 PM
theres some button at the bottom right of one of the panels that you need to click.... "install mod" ;)

Rsunset327
Sep 25, 2010, 08:07 PM
Don't bother with Japan on higher than Prince. You basically get a rapefest and the roaming barbarian galleys make it impossible for you to head east to get to the new world. Doesn't mean I'm not going to try 100 more times but really....Japan is too small and you can't go around Mt. Fuji hahaha.

Sure fun to try !

Round 3 begins now!

TrustyTory
Sep 25, 2010, 08:12 PM
theres some button at the bottom right of one of the panels that you need to click.... "install mod" ;)

No, I know. I had to manually install the file. Which worked fine. Apparently the whole C/D drive error thing reported in another thread. I manually installed with 7zip. Thanks!

Gomer_Pyle
Sep 26, 2010, 02:45 AM
I put the map files in the ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Maps\ for achievments but now when i play on the large map as Japan I also start seeing Helsinki on the map and everytime something happens there i am moved across to watch it. Annoying. Didnt notice this before. Anyone else seen something similar?

Dave_Oz
Sep 26, 2010, 03:02 AM
Why isn't there a load scenario button in Advanced options? Jeez

orxul
Sep 26, 2010, 03:09 AM
hey guys, heya dale!

First at all thank you Dale for spending so much time in creating this map.

But I have a problem. I play the Germans, but I start everytime at a different location. Sometimes I am in the middle of Elefants and sometimes in the middle of nowhere. But never in Europe.

Do I make something wrong or what can be the problem here?

Gomer_Pyle
Sep 26, 2010, 03:22 AM
Read the instructions. :)

Make sure you select "Load Scenario" after you have selected the map. After that you select your nation.

Kopernikus1979
Sep 26, 2010, 05:41 AM
I have several issues with that Mod:

-while playing I get in touch with city states I never met and get ally
-war ends automatically after 1 turn equal against I fight
-some city states don't like me although I never met them

So there seem to be some issues with your mod. But anyway thanks for your mod.

redindus69
Sep 26, 2010, 09:15 AM
map are incorrect, some civs and/or states cannot lay down their settlements, cuz too close. And some places are incorrect as well, like Japan and should have Mt.Fuji and more room for huge map. also the resources need to be reworked.

wish map editor was out so i can fix this :(

Yoadm
Sep 26, 2010, 01:07 PM

I downloaded the mod/map-pack into the MODS folder, then I entered the game, pressed "mods", browse mods, but had it as an option for download, not as if I allready downloaded it (which I did). When I tried to download again from within the game, it said: that "microsoft BITS has not started".

What do i do?

Dargoth
Sep 26, 2010, 11:27 PM
One thing i noticed

When I play as the Romans on the huge earth map Venice and Ragusa wont set up as there within 2 squares of Rome... There also seems to be a similar problem in South eastern Europe with Belgrade and Bucharest doing the same thing.

Weirdly the City state settlers wont move and I end up pushing them outside the 2 square zone by buying tiles out from under them (Venice usually ends up founding in Southern France (Maybe swap the Venice city state out for Monaco) and Ragusa ends up in Tunisia)

Thorburne
Sep 27, 2010, 04:34 AM
One thing i noticed

When I play as the Romans on the huge earth map Venice and Ragusa wont set up as there within 2 squares of Rome... There also seems to be a similar problem in South eastern Europe with Belgrade and Bucharest doing the same thing.

Weirdly the City state settlers wont move and I end up pushing them outside the 2 square zone by buying tiles out from under them (Venice usually ends up founding in Southern France (Maybe swap the Venice city state out for Monaco) and Ragusa ends up in Tunisia)

That happened with me too... I just ended up capturing the settlers which saved me from having to build workers, but turned other civs against me from the get go.

Yoadm
Sep 27, 2010, 06:12 AM
I cant seem to find any downloaded file in any list on the game. I downloaded this game and it didn't show in the mods section. Any advice?

zeggy
Sep 27, 2010, 04:34 PM
Good work and thanks but please just put arabia back to normal place ..ffs, takes me like 6 turn to get down there and im behind 4 ever then

Pnutmaster
Sep 27, 2010, 10:11 PM
Playing as Persia, Arabia never moved its settlers and therefore never founded a city. I assume this was related to the proximity of Persepolis?

Oddible
Sep 27, 2010, 10:40 PM
Posted an issue in another thread before I noticed this thread was here...

There seems to be a bug in Dale's TSL for the World Map scenario that links all nations to a city state. When you first meet each nation you get the initial popup (Hi, I'm Napolean - with France listed), then you get another identical popup with the same leader pictured but at the bottom it says "Barbarian City State". The problem this creates is that when you declare war on any nation you declare war on the city state as well which doesn't bode well for your relationship with ALL other city states (and since nations are linked with city states in this scenario, ALL other nations).

In my game as England I started a war with France (which said I also started a war with Helsinki). I attacked a French embarked archer on the first turn of the war. In between turns several leaders shunned me for attacking the city state Helsinki. I lost several treaties and basically am a world pariah now for attacking a city state.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=384536

Yoadm
Sep 28, 2010, 06:15 AM
Anyone have this issue?

"Cannot download because microsoft BITS has not been started".

kurt-roges
Sep 28, 2010, 10:57 AM
Anyone have this issue?

"Cannot download because microsoft BITS has not been started".

BITS is the MS Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Go to Start -> Run... and type in 'msconfig' (no quotes), then click on the last tab in the window that pops up. Scroll down to BITS and make sure it's enabled. If it's already turned on, then... I dunno - I'm a Linux guy, not Windows. Sorry! :-/

Lexad
Sep 28, 2010, 11:55 AM

There seems to be a bug in Dale's TSL for the World Map scenario that links all nations to a city state. When you first meet each nation you get the initial popup (Hi, I'm Napolean - with France listed), then you get another identical popup with the same leader pictured but at the bottom it says "Barbarian City State". The problem this creates is that when you declare war on any nation you declare war on the city state as well which doesn't bode well for your relationship with ALL other city states (and since nations are linked with city states in this scenario, ALL other nations).

In my game as England I started a war with France (which said I also started a war with Helsinki). I attacked a French embarked archer on the first turn of the war. In between turns several leaders shunned me for attacking the city state Helsinki. I lost several treaties and basically am a world pariah now for attacking a city state.

Same issue here - everyone has a partner. I even had a crash when Oda declared on himself (Lhasa)

CreativeSoju
Sep 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
Same issue here - everyone has a partner. I even had a crash when Oda declared on himself (Lhasa)

Same exact thing as me, Siam and Seoul declared war on themselves and proceeded to cannibalize their own empires. I got quite a laugh out of it.

Stacmon
Sep 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
MODIFIED VERSION OF THE TSL HUGE MAP

Hello everyone,

I had discussed with Dale and some of you regarding the Arab and Persian start locations and now that I have discovered that the world editor has been released, I decided to make some minor changes to Dale's map.

It has really been done for my own personal use, but I thought it could be worth sharing with the rest of you.

Here is a brief summary of the major changes.

- Arab capital moved to present day Mecca
- Persian capital moved slightly southeast to more accurately reflect the ancient location of Persepolis
- Babylonians added. They have been placed in an appropriate location
- I have added ancient ruins to encourage exploration ("goody huts")

Please note I have just made the changes and am only now in the process of starting my first game. As soon as it loaded and I could confirm that my civ (the Arabs) were in the new location, it seemed as though things were working and I thought it would be worthwhile to share it. The modifications were really basic, so I can't imagine them causing too many problems, crashes or the like.

As Dale pointed out earlier, now that the tool is out, it is extremely straightforward to make the kind of changes described above (I did so in less than ten minutes just by opening up the world builder and looking around - no tutorials or reading required). I do not plan on "taking the project on," or anything like that. I simply wanted to share my changes to save others some time and possibly frustration, since it seemed several of you shared these preferences with me.

If you notice anything else that is significant and warrants change, feel free to share it. If I decide to incorporate it into my version of the map, I may post an updated copy to share with the rest of you. Keep in mind though that I may not be following these posts carefully. I have also made the key changes from my point of view and am not promising or committing myself to going beyond that.

I expect that in the coming weeks other people will come forward with "Accurate Earth Map" projects which may be even more ambitious than Dale's and with the intent of making ongoing updates, so keep this in mind as well.

Installation:

The easiest way I have found to "install" this file is to simply rename the old TSL Huge map (add for example "Backup" or "Old") and replace it with the one I have attached in the same file location. After that it should work.

Hope you all enjoy it.

zeggy
Sep 28, 2010, 05:49 PM

Hello everyone,

I had discussed with Dale and some of you regarding the Arab and Persian start locations and now that I have discovered that the world editor has been released, I decided to make some minor changes to Dale's map.

It has really been done for my own personal use, but I thought it could be worth sharing with the rest of you.

- Persian capital moved slightly southeast to more accurately reflect the ancient location of Persepolis

Please note I have just made the changes and am only now in the process of starting my first game. As soon as it loaded and I could confirm that my civ (the Arabs) were in the new location, it seemed as though things were working and I thought it would be worthwhile to share it. The modifications were really basic, so I can't imagine them causing too many problems, crashes or the like.

As Dale pointed out earlier, now that the tool is out, it is extremely straightforward to make the kind of changes described above (I did so in less than ten minutes just by opening up the world builder and looking around - no tutorials or reading required). I do not plan on "taking the project on," or anything like that. I simply wanted to share my changes to save others some time and possibly frustration, since it seemed several of you shared these preferences with me.

If you notice anything else that is significant and warrants change, feel free to share it. If I decide to incorporate it into my version of the map, I may post an updated copy to share with the rest of you. Keep in mind though that I may not be following these posts carefully. I have also made the key changes from my point of view and am not promising or committing myself to going beyond that.

I expect that in the coming weeks other people will come forward with "Accurate Earth Map" projects which may be even more ambitious than Dale's and with the intent of making ongoing updates, so keep this in mind as well.

Installation:

The easiest way I have found to "install" this file is to simply rename the old TSL Huge map (add for example "Backup" or "Old") and replace it with the one I have attached in the same file location. After that it should work.

Hope you all enjoy it.

OMG...

THANK YOU SO MUCH :love:

dragonmetal
Sep 28, 2010, 05:55 PM
I opened up the standard size TSL map to make a more accurate map. I noticed in world builder there is a continents section with color coding for what belongs to the America's and Europe and so on. South America was color coded for Asia I believe, and some tiles in Oceania were actually coded for Europe. Not sure if this matters or has anything to do with, for example, starting as Japan and right away being able to see Rio de Janeiro.

I too have seen city states declare war on themselves. Oslo did it while I was playing as England. Then the game crashed. In fact the game crashes every time a city state declares war on itself, at least for me.

TheCracker
Sep 28, 2010, 06:09 PM
True Start Location indeed...
I started with Japan near Belgrad and France...
WTF?

dragonmetal
Sep 28, 2010, 06:20 PM
WTF?

Did you check off the load scenario button?

TheCracker
Sep 28, 2010, 06:23 PM
Yes, why?

dragonmetal
Sep 28, 2010, 07:09 PM
Yes, why?

Not checking it off was randomizing start locations, but that's obviously not the source of your trouble.

geebo
Sep 28, 2010, 07:50 PM
If you notice anything else that is significant and warrants change, feel free to share it. If I decide to incorporate it into my version of the map, I may post an updated copy to share with the rest of you. Keep in mind though that I may not be following these posts carefully

Thanks for an update! Some input the Italic peninsula needs to be reworked. There isn't even the island of Sicily and it's oddly shaped. Venice and Ragusa cant settle(same issue you fixed with Persia and Arabia). Also in N. America, Iroquois cant build because of America, and vise versa. That's all the issues I seen so far. Maybe make an enlarged Europe, the British Isles are rather small as well.

JEELEN
Sep 28, 2010, 08:53 PM
Did you check off the load scenario button?

Where the heck is that???

@Stacmon: nice job! Will check it out ASAP. :goodjob:

No only Civs. I ain't spending a month researching and placing correct resources.

You do know thereīs several Civ4 maps out there that could easily be used as a template (including a few of my own)? :cooool:

Lexad
Sep 29, 2010, 12:53 AM

Hello everyone,

Installation:

Hope you all enjoy it.Thank you so very much! It fixes the absurd player-CS bug too. Too bad Huge is killing my note. If only you could do it for Standard size )

Gomer_Pyle
Sep 29, 2010, 01:59 AM
Oh nice. Would really appreciate it if a Large version would come too. Really nice work people.

Thanks.

Hinkel84
Sep 29, 2010, 02:19 AM
Do you guys use the new worldeditor for that? Its available now I think.

Yoadm
Sep 29, 2010, 09:19 AM
BITS is the MS Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Go to Start -> Run... and type in 'msconfig' (no quotes), then click on the last tab in the window that pops up. Scroll down to BITS and make sure it's enabled. If it's already turned on, then... I dunno - I'm a Linux guy, not Windows. Sorry! :-/

Hey there, thank's! I followed your instructions. It's turned on, but status says "Stopped". Any idea's?

JEELEN
Sep 29, 2010, 10:59 AM
Where the heck is that???

Nevermind - found it. :D

Dulahey
Sep 29, 2010, 04:26 PM
So is there anyone that's going to work on a really good huge true earth map? Or are most people just accepting what we've got already?

Just curious.

Greeneyedzombie
Sep 29, 2010, 04:37 PM
So is there anyone that's going to work on a really good huge true earth map? Or are most people just accepting what we've got already?

Just curious.

You can convert GEM earth maps with the worldbuilder. Except it wont convert any resources that aren't in civ 5. And you'll have to manually assign the quantity of each strategic resource.

Flash1
Sep 29, 2010, 05:51 PM
the question will be whether we will be able to get a map bigger than 128 x 80, which is the max.

NiRv4n4
Sep 29, 2010, 06:00 PM
the question will be whether we will be able to get a map bigger than 128 x 80, which is the max.Yes you can, I made a map that is 107 x 90. It will be interesting to see what the huge and detailed maps look like in hexagon style.

ashmizen
Sep 29, 2010, 06:38 PM
Just like to drop in the comments that I've played 2 games so far on your maps, one on huge, one on large.

Egypt is a bit screwy on Large, for some reason it it starts on a "team" with Cape Town it seems, and 3 other civilizations appears to be teams as well (Greece, India, and maybe another).

Love the maps, great job!

Thorburne
Sep 29, 2010, 07:08 PM
Yes you can, I made a map that is 107 x 90. It will be interesting to see what the huge and detailed maps look like in hexagon style.

How did you do that?

NiRv4n4
Sep 29, 2010, 07:14 PM
How did you do that?It was one that I imported from Civilization 4. When I go to scale it though, it does use the 124 x 80 max or something. Does anyone know how to just cut off or add a part to the map? Like for my map, I am considering cutting off part of the north, and/or adding onto the south.

Acoustic
Sep 29, 2010, 08:19 PM
Like the mod, but with the scenario thing I can't change the winning conditions. Any ideas? Also quick off topic question, how do I keep it to where the hexagons show all the time? Thanks!

Flash1
Sep 29, 2010, 11:39 PM
Dale,

I have a few tweaks I would like to make, but how do link the tweak to the TSL so that the start locations stay permanent?

Private_Parts
Sep 30, 2010, 02:08 AM
I would also like to change the winning conditions. Is there a way to do this?

JEELEN
Sep 30, 2010, 03:07 AM
MODIFIED VERSION OF THE TSL HUGE MAP[...]

Installation:

Hmmm, thatīs what I did but the map doesnīt show up when loading Daleīs mod. Any suggestion? :confused:

JEELEN
Sep 30, 2010, 03:49 AM
Hmmm... got my first CTD after 1755 AD. :(

JEELEN
Sep 30, 2010, 07:23 AM

Got 2 CTDs before 3000 BC trying out Egypt. :(

Stacmon
Sep 30, 2010, 03:50 PM
Got 2 CTDs before 3000 BC trying out Egypt. :(

Strange.

Does the CTD prevent you from playing further if you exit and reload?

Also, have you had any similar CTDs with the unaltered version?

I don't want to give anyone the impression that I know more about this than I do. I just made a few quick and simple changes in the World Builder, which was recently released. If CTDs are occurring, I really have no idea why or how to remove them :(

JEELEN
Sep 30, 2010, 10:28 PM
Itīs ok - theyīre graphics related... Apparently my new PC canīt handle the Leader movies, so I lowered the quality again. and yes, the original crashed around 1775 AD. (And repeats the crash after autosave reload... That one isnīt graphics related AFAIK, as I had graphics quality set at minimum.) Sorry for reporting a non-bug. :blush:

Flamin Joe
Oct 01, 2010, 03:41 AM
WTF?

Did you manage to find a solution to this? Because I'm having the same problem. I've got the Scenario box ticked but everytime I get a random location. :(

JEELEN
Oct 01, 2010, 03:50 PM
If you have Enable Scenario ticked, there should be no problem.

EDIT: Oops! Iīm currently on Shiggs map... But I donīt recall this happeninng with the original TSL, so my comment might still be helpful. ;)

ngyuishing
Oct 01, 2010, 08:32 PM
I've downloaded the worldbuilder. How can I delete the civilization-city states relations? (e.g. Seoul no longer "relates" to Siam)

dragonmetal
Oct 01, 2010, 10:01 PM
I've downloaded the worldbuilder. How can I delete the civilization-city states relations? (e.g. Seoul no longer "relates" to Siam)

At the top of the worldbuilder screen you should see the scenario editor. Click that and on the right you should see drop down menus where you can set who is in contact with who.

ngyuishing
Oct 01, 2010, 11:43 PM
At the top of the worldbuilder screen you should see the scenario editor. Click that and on the right you should see drop down menus where you can set who is in contact with who.
I tried this but I couldn't see any contact

TheSASMan
Oct 02, 2010, 06:39 AM
Great map. Thank you. But...

This map crashes every time when starting as Washington (America). It does not happen with the other civs, but only when playing America. Any idea what is wrong?

This is the case with the huge map.

Thanks.

riddleofsteel
Oct 02, 2010, 03:58 PM
Anyone played as Japan on this map yet? Sorry if it's already been brought up. You get like 4 tiles to move units on until you're able to disembark. And then the only other land mass I can see is a city state, which means to make land I'd have to invade unless I go exploring. Is this all for a challenge or just to fit the whole map to a certain scale? Either way, I was having a devil of a time with Japan.

Shiggs713
Oct 02, 2010, 04:12 PM
Anyone played as Japan on this map yet? Sorry if it's already been brought up. You get like 4 tiles to move units on until you're able to disembark. And then the only other land mass I can see is a city state, which means to make land I'd have to invade unless I go exploring. Is this all for a challenge or just to fit the whole map to a certain scale? Either way, I was having a devil of a time with Japan.

yes part of the reason I created Shiggs Earth. Sorry for the shameless promoting, but it fixes many of those issues.

SickFak
Oct 05, 2010, 11:44 AM
I tried ottomans on huge. After founding Istanbul I met Bucharest (or Budapest :dunno:) who were standing in form of a settler on my borders... and stayed that way until I quit. :sad:

Scryer
Oct 05, 2010, 12:03 PM
What I did with this Earth map is I edited it in Worldbuilder. And I made everyone start out with cities already created for them.

- I made Japan much larger.
- I gave the world a realistic amount/location of resources.
- I made the Middle-East larger, same with the mediterranean. Although I just can't get Italy to match my expectations..
- I have like 21 playable civilizations in my game. I added (from people's mods) Canada, Hebrews, Babylonia, and Spain.
- I also added and renamed several city states... Including many in South America so that continent isn't so empty (I am so waiting on an Inca or Portugues/Brazil mod).

Eddogegr3
Oct 05, 2010, 12:34 PM
Playing on Huge map. Got to 1970 AD as the French. Constant crash to desktop. Kept saving and reloading, but crashes around this time. Now can't even load the game.

I have a pretty nice computer, but may I shouldn't be playing on a huge map? or is it the map itself? Anyone have these crash issues?

ashmizen
Oct 05, 2010, 12:35 PM
"Anyone played as Japan on this map yet? Sorry if it's already been brought up. You get like 4 tiles to move units on until you're able to disembark. And then the only other land mass I can see is a city state, which means to make land I'd have to invade unless I go exploring. Is this all for a challenge or just to fit the whole map to a certain scale? Either way, I was having a devil of a time with Japan."

On the other hand, that sounds so amazingly historically accurate...

Japan have always had to invade Korea before expanding anywhere else, they invaded once in the ancient era and was beat off by the Koreans and the Chinese. Then they invaded Korea in the modern age, and proceed to take Manchuria, half of China, and most of the Pacific islands after that....

zeggy
Oct 05, 2010, 02:09 PM
Has this been updated??

JEELEN
Oct 06, 2010, 03:09 AM

Havenīt played Japan, but Mt Fuji blocks of the northern part of Japan, yeah. It should be 1 tile to the west. When I finally discovered Japan with a Caravel, they only had 3 cities on Japan and were behind everyone else.

Another oddity I noticed: at some point there emerged a second Alexander/Greece, using the same symbol but with a different colour. They were actually bigger than original Greece.

Spendoza
Oct 06, 2010, 06:28 PM
any news on Babylon? i tried the TSL with Babylon added but it only came up as an invalid map...

nvm got the SDK i do it, i do it

Lachlan
Oct 07, 2010, 10:52 AM
What about the next debugged version ?

Because playing a standard Earth hould be nice...

Rhye's Earth converted is too big...

sstuglin
Oct 07, 2010, 03:45 PM

Same problem for me. And I have a crash situation now I cannot get around with Catherine declaring war on the city-state she is linked to (in S America, oddly) that also makes her declare on herself. The game will not pass turn 161.

Omega124
Oct 08, 2010, 09:25 AM
What I did with this Earth map is I edited it in Worldbuilder. And I made everyone start out with cities already created for them.

- I made Japan much larger.
- I gave the world a realistic amount/location of resources.
- I made the Middle-East larger, same with the mediterranean. Although I just can't get Italy to match my expectations..
- I have like 21 playable civilizations in my game. I added (from people's mods) Canada, Hebrews, Babylonia, and Spain.
- I also added and renamed several city states... Including many in South America so that continent isn't so empty (I am so waiting on an Inca or Portugues/Brazil mod).

Congratulations, now there's a Brazil mod.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389573

jinif
Oct 08, 2010, 08:24 PM
I have been having the same City State contact problems that others have described

Has anyone been able to solve this problem? When I open up the scenario editor, no city state is listed as contacted any other civ.

Lachlan
Oct 09, 2010, 06:39 AM
Anybody could create a normal Earth with 18 civs and no city-states ?

Spendoza
Oct 09, 2010, 06:53 AM
Anybody could create a normal Earth with 18 civs and no city-states ?

anybody can create any map of any description
the SDK tools are on steam, just search civilization v sdk

jinif
Oct 09, 2010, 10:20 AM
anybody can create any map of any description
the SDK tools are on steam, just search civilization v sdk

Once you have made your own map, how do you load it?

I have made my own version of the TSL world map, but can't find it when I open the game in the mods list

jinif
Oct 10, 2010, 12:01 PM
I have been having the same City State contact problems that others have described

Has anyone been able to solve this problem? When I open up the scenario editor, no city state is listed as contacted any other civ.

Arrrggghhh

Has nobody had this problem? Am I the only one?

I tried erasing all of the City State, then adding them back again, but that didnt help. Instead, the civs were just connected to different City States than the ones they were before.

I would just be using another Map, but so far the only ones people have made have been huge, and those maps are just too big for me (and my computer)

Ighten
Oct 17, 2010, 02:45 AM
Probaly the wrong place to post but Im playing the version of this which is described as extra hexes for the UK and Japan.. However I dont seem to have Glasgow or Dublin when I start? Have I done something wrong?

BHTrix
Oct 20, 2010, 03:28 PM
Dear Dale,

First; great job making this map. It must have taken a lot of time and effort to complete it, and in turn thousands of players are enjoying it. A job well done.

I have a few minor suggestions however and a minor ' bug ?' perhaps.

Currently Napoleon is starting in germany, I have no idea where you are from, I myself am from Holland, and it's weird having France besides you, and then Germany.

In my own humble opinion, France should be moved 2 tiles to the left, and then 2 down. And Germany should replace France's current location, about, maybe even 1 tile to the right of that.

There is an advantage on this, which I discovered playing England, France will not expand in France this way, if they do, they will expand on the border of Spain making it impossible for England to sail past France without engaging in war early game. Because Napoleon will then controll the coasts that are sailable.

On a secondary note - it seems that when I put the game on 'normal' difficulty, enemy groups suddenly manage to heal to full during 1 turn of fortification. Hence, making it fairly impossible for me to destroy any units.

Regards
-BHTrix

King_Course
Oct 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Is this still working? I really want to play an Earth map as a European civ but can't get this to work.

I installed the mod and I can browse mods and see it and enable it, but it doesn't show up in load scenarios, only the mongol scenario from Firaxis is showing up.

Anyone got any ideas to help?

Edit: NWM, I was doing it wrong, trying to go back out of Mods and start is as singleplayer.

Preytor
Nov 01, 2010, 08:15 PM
When I open the map up in World Builder there are no resources. Do you plan on releasing a version with resources?

SickFak
Nov 02, 2010, 08:20 AM
When I open the map up in World Builder there are no resources. Do you plan on releasing a version with resources?

YES!! Bruce Campbell!!!

Oregano
Nov 06, 2010, 10:37 PM
Quick question: Anyone running into the issue where when they load one of the TSL maps, all of the starting points are random? For example, if you play as France, you end up in the Americas. The United States ends up for in Asia, Japan in Africa, and so on, randomly placed around the map -- rather defeats the whole true start locations idea.

I get the same issue with maps I've made in World Builder, so I think it may be something that I am doing, or not doing, but I don't know what. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Gedemon
Nov 07, 2010, 02:17 AM
check load scenario.

Oregano
Nov 07, 2010, 08:45 PM
Ok, I just figured it out -- totally stupid on my part. I've been loading the maps from the Advanced setup instead of the basic, so was not seeing the scenario option.

~S

dancjm
Dec 15, 2010, 10:24 AM
Im having a problem with the mod. Originally I put the mod file in the MODS folder and it wasnt found. So I unziped it using 7zip and it appeared in the mods menu and I was able to enable it.

When I set up game there are no new maps available, nothing prefixed with TSL.

Anyone have any idea whats wrong?

Thanks

[Edit] I was never able to "install" the mod because it was never found ingame even though it was in the MODS folder. So I just unzipped and it was found in "installed" mods, but I guess it never actually installed? Where would the mod install put the map or info file? should I put them somewhere other than MODS folder (ModUserData?, Maps? etc)

dancjm
Dec 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
OMG you have to start game from mods menu. Jeez that was not intuitive I just kept going from mod menu to mods back to main menu, didnt even see I could start a game from the mods menu.

I am all good now.

dancjm
Dec 15, 2010, 01:34 PM
Im playing the edited Huge map, one question though, Im England and I have uncovered most of europe. There are no horses at all, which is causing me problems.

Is there an easy way to change the resource settings using the map file?

Thanks.

kiwijase
Dec 27, 2010, 02:58 AM
I got a crash loop issue with this map:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385737&page=35

I am using latest balance combined mod, not sure if its a problem with the mod or map

Civ'ed
Jan 01, 2011, 11:08 AM
Hey Dale, great maps, really awesome, just a minor point I have (could be outdated):
Russia and Rio de Janeiro DOW'ed me as the Ottomans and I noticed it was still BC. Not even on King are the AI that Rationalists (they aren't). That was on King.

Bcubed
Jan 01, 2011, 09:36 PM
Any idea how to get this map to work on a Mac? :-(

Southman
Jan 09, 2011, 05:43 AM
Hi, I gotta say this is an amazing mod! Thumbs up!

I'm just wondering if there is any way implement Sweden (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=393501) as a nation when "Load scenario" is ticked. Is it possible to either replace a civ with Sweden or do it in any other way?

I figured if it's possible I'd try do do it myself.

Gedemon
Jan 09, 2011, 09:58 AM
Hi, I gotta say this is an amazing mod! Thumbs up!

I'm just wondering if there is any way implement Sweden (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=393501) as a nation when "Load scenario" is ticked. Is it possible to either replace a civ with Sweden or do it in any other way?

I figured if it's possible I'd try do do it myself.

yep, look here : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=395702

Southman
Jan 09, 2011, 10:39 AM
yep, look here : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=395702

Thank you!

Awesome! :)

bwoww78
Feb 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
does anyone know why the tiny map does not have (or appear to support) natural wonders? I used WB to add in a few of the missing ones (everything except cerro de potosi and el dorado, basically) and i get an immediate CTD as soon as i start the scenario. i've read through this post and know that i'm starting the scenario correctly (getting all the TSLs, etc.).

as far as other mods i have installed, i don't have a list in front of me, but it's mostly:
Thal's balance combined (which is awesome)
Civwilliard
hoverinfo
R.E.D. modpack
tech difusion
trading post redesigned
etc.

i'm not sure that any of those or others i can't think of mess natural wonders...

Also, Gedemon, your ynaemp is awesome. I would use that but i'm looking for something smaller and not the codiform earth layout...

utopianwizard
Apr 02, 2011, 02:42 AM

This post is really helpful. I did all the things you talk about here, and agree with your opinions about what would be helpful to gamers with the Steam stuff. Anyway, with some of my game software on an external dribe, other than C, and haing tried to play my first mod game i tried to use adanced options to set up the game, it screwed up all of it as you said it did with you. How do I get past this issue? DO i need to reinstall all of the list, and can i use adanced options at all? Thanks for a reply.

Utopianwizard

mariofan38
Apr 03, 2011, 04:36 PM
I think this mod needs updating. Can someone test out the tiny version, by playing as India, China, Russia, or England, and check to see if Siam, Japan, Oslo, and Budacrest are able to settle? The number of tiles needed between cities may have changed, or it may be a problem on my side. Thanks.

Haksever
May 17, 2011, 07:00 AM
How can I get true start locations in other ordinary earth or europe maps according to my choice in, for instance, advanced games?...

Frardvark
Jun 28, 2011, 01:08 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm having a problem I just can't figure out. Every time I try to start a game on the huge version of this map, no matter what civilization I choose, I always end up being the Ottomans. I have "load scenario" clicked, I've tried re-downloading, and I've tried both the original, and changing the map around but no matter what, I always spawn as the Ottomans. I choose my civ (that isn't The Ottomans, whatever it may be) from the basic startup screen and then I get the Ottoman intro, and start out in the Ottoman area as the Ottomans. When I don't click the "Load scenario" I spawn as whoever I choose. Anyone have a solution or similar problem?

MAGBaxter
Jul 02, 2011, 01:41 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm having a problem I just can't figure out. Every time I try to start a game on the huge version of this map, no matter what civilization I choose, I always end up being the Ottomans. I have "load scenario" clicked, I've tried re-downloading, and I've tried both the original, and changing the map around but no matter what, I always spawn as the Ottomans. I choose my civ (that isn't The Ottomans, whatever it may be) from the basic startup screen and then I get the Ottoman intro, and start out in the Ottoman area as the Ottomans. When I don't click the "Load scenario" I spawn as whoever I choose. Anyone have a solution or similar problem?

Yes everyone is having that problem, its because of the new patch, but a even newer patch will be out very soon to fix that problem.

tenkk
Sep 02, 2011, 04:49 AM
Been trying to play this Huge map. I got crashes all of a sudden around 900bc, reloading with the same effect. I tried reloading with dx9 and it lasted for maybe 20 more turns then just crashed the same way by freezing on end turn. I tried turning off autosaves with no effect. Real shame as it looks a fabulous map.

27bstroke6
Sep 21, 2011, 03:34 PM
so the link isn't working. that should be fixed soon. please.

brandon99901
Apr 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
i love the look of this mod im gonna download this fast but i wish England was bigger so i can set a country but oh well great mod.

steveslomp
Apr 23, 2012, 06:27 PM
Anyone know why its not letting me download the mod??

KrugerPritz
Apr 26, 2012, 06:49 AM
I tried to download... i had invalid file id.

Connor Sinulf
May 05, 2012, 10:37 AM
Link is still not working. I think this is a lost cause.

Ekmek
May 23, 2012, 09:15 AM
i think these are way out of date and don't have DLC civs

crazycaptain56
Jun 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Quick Question.

When I load the scenario, it wants to load the Mongol scenario rules only giving me 100 turns. How do I fix this?

Thanks

Dale248
Jun 24, 2012, 01:21 AM
I didn't expect the Australian map to be so much desert...

ThexHIPPOx
Jun 29, 2012, 04:40 AM
The download link doesn't work...

chris18cj
Jan 19, 2013, 05:54 PM
True Start Location Earth Maps

This map pack contains all of Civilization Vs Earth maps with true start locations. All Civs (and City-States) begin the game in their correct location. The pack includes a TSL version for each map size.

To install, download this file and place in your mods folder at ..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meiers Civilization V\MODS\. Run the game, go into the MODS menu and click BROWSE. The mod will install automatically.

Activate the mod, click Setup Game and choose the map - each map has the prefix TSL. Ensure Load Scenario is ticked.

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15400

http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/downloads/tsl_S50.jpg

Is this still the right download? When I click it I get no file found.

Vinchy_RUS
Aug 19, 2013, 12:38 PM
Could you make, please, the same thing for all nations (My Incas started in Africa) :king: