View Full Version : Requested Mods

Pages : [1] 2 3

Alex_K
Sep 23, 2010, 12:28 AM
It would be good for folks to know what mods people are interested in.

I personally would be interested in a mod similar to how a Civ2 mod copied the game of Master of Magic. Done well, a Master of Magic mod based on Civ5 would likely see me spending many hours playing the mod.

Lorak
Sep 23, 2010, 01:09 AM
Improved combat AI.

I've played free games that have AI that handle hex grid and one unit per tile combat better than Civ V.

Micael
Sep 23, 2010, 02:53 AM
More civs/leaders and corresponding art-styles. That will make the game a lot better until some of the bigger mods come out.

grzybek
Sep 23, 2010, 03:14 AM
I'm missing a Diplomacy Mod in every Civ, starting from Civ1. Did anyone ever mod that? Is anyone planning to mod that in Civ5? Is it actually possible to mod that (is it somehow hardcoded or not)?

I really think it would add a lot of depth to the gameplay expirience :)

ushram
Sep 23, 2010, 04:04 AM
a new FFH. <wink,wink,nudge,nudge to Kael and company>;) I can dream :lol:

Lord Xavius
Sep 23, 2010, 04:24 AM
All I can think of for now is new civs (I like lots of civs), preferably with fully animated leaders. Mongolia and Spain are my two "most wanted" (and I really hope they are those two DLC civs that are coming), but there are many other good ones: Inca, Zulu, Byzantium, Carthage, Korea, Maya, Sweden, Israel...

oddtail
Sep 23, 2010, 05:38 AM
I can think of a few things already:

- changes to how cultural borders expand. An ability to choose which tiles are claimed by the city based on culture would be nice (as opposed to it being forcibly computer-controlled). Adding an option to buy tiles further than three tiles away (up to 5 tiles, probably) from the city would also be nice (to make a "buy tiles to establish borders and stop opponents from exploring" tactic viable). I think it would not be too unbalancing if the costs were prohibitive. Additionally, an option to claim tiles only so that they can't be bought by anyone else (so, you can't work them, but you "own" them). Maybe at half price? If you wanted to work that tile later, you'd have to pay the full cost anyway - otherwise, there would be no reason not to "pre-buy" all tiles you can possibly want. Finally, there should be the diplomatic option of buying/selling/trading tiles, if that can be modded in.

- tweak city-states mechanics, perhaps? It would be nice if gaining or losing influence in a city-state increased or decreased influence in other city-states to a minor extent. It's weird that a city that wants their neighbour dead doesn't care that said neighbour has become your ally.

- in Civ 5, buildings seem to follow a strict "development tree", i.e. building A allows the creation of Building B, which is necessary for Building C and so on. This is fine, but since the city development process has much stricter requirements now, more buildings would be nice (for example, Building A allows you to build *either* B1 or B2, and B1 leads to C1 while B2 leads to C2a or C2b), depending on the techs you know.

- optional technologies. I get that Civ 5 has fewer technologies, but the complete lack of technologies that don't need to be taken (like Archery and Horseback Riding in Civ 4, which you didn't strictly *need*, but ended up taking anyway) seems off. A few side technologies that don't lead anywhere, but give you additional bonuses/units/buildings would improve the gameplay experience, I think. Especially as you can't just "fill in the gaps" by trading old technologies with your neighbours, and the choice to ignore a certain tech would have potentially bigger consequences.

These are my thoughts based on a very limited gaming experience, but I already think they would enhance the game if they could be implemented.

Alexfrog
Sep 23, 2010, 06:01 AM
#1: Mod the Babylonian Civ into the game, so that we dont have to pay for it.

#2: Make a mod that makes marshes look significantly different from grassland. So many times I have made a move of a unit through what was supposed to be grassland to some safe tile, or to make an attack, only to find that the tile in between was marsh not grass, and my guy spend both his movement and is not sitting there exposed in the open. They look way too similar!

apotheoser
Sep 23, 2010, 06:18 AM
#1 An alert when a city expands its cultural borders.

#2 Total revamp of Social Policies. I'd really love to write the content for this one, too, if anyone is interested in working on it.

#3 Diplomacy - auto-renew trade agreements, for starters. Better diplomacy UI.

Iceciro
Sep 23, 2010, 07:12 AM
The return of workshops. Or even Heavy Industry on tiles, like Rise of Mankind had.

royal62184
Sep 23, 2010, 07:21 AM
Layered maps like in Civ Test of Time

Nomadic Cities (prehistoric time period) that feed on nearby terrain and then must move to find new food. This is the first thing i'm going to try and do but it sounds hard.

dogmaticus
Sep 23, 2010, 07:33 AM
Well I dream of:

- Polish Civilization (since I'm Polish ;) and it's nice to lead ones nation)
- Religion in the game (I enjoyed the religious tensions and differences)

But I will be able to have more requests once I start actually playing the game... it should unlock overnight for Europe :).

Alkyon
Sep 23, 2010, 07:49 AM
1) City-State expansion mod. City states have the potential to be the Corporations from Civ IV. Add new city-state types (Industrial, Economic, etc), and add new quests to said city-states to hopefully bring down the occurrence of "Kill this guy".

2) Random events! Give me back my randomness! Could work especially well with city-states too.

3) Historical Fiction mods! If anyone has read the "Ring of Fire"/"1632" series, I'd love to play with Mike Stearns of the USE, or Gustavus II Adolphus of Sweden or Cardinal Richelieu of France. I'm sure there are other wonderful historical fictions that I haven't read that would be wonderful for mod faction ideas.

Darkhon
Sep 23, 2010, 07:57 AM
I am still playing the game, so my initial responses may already be addressed;

Attaching a "Core" to Cities that player's annex or create as puppets that will allow them to remove the penalty (eventually) for them belonging to your city.

Finlandization: A City-State that is engulfed by your cultural borders, eventually just asks to join your empire. (or you can ask them). You should also be able to do this without cultural borders touching but the cost is greater. Imagine if the cost is 1000 Gold * size of city, then every turn the cost is increased/decreased based on accrued diplomatic points, until finally the player pays the cost to establish permanent ties/acquire it. Taking cities this way should not incur a diplo penalty unless that other nation had some tie to the city.

Better AI on declaring War, when to do it, and what reasons to do it for. I attacked two city-states and suddenly the entire globe was at war with me. My Civilization was created on conquest. Even hitler got a better deal than that.

A Cassus Belli trait, where your neighbors give you less diplomatic penalty/ concern for fighting wars with other nations.

A High King trait, where your neighbors give you less diplomatic penalty/ concern for fighting wars with city-states.

Better automated worker AI

Better pathfinding (explorers/troops can have a check box to avoid trespassing)

Renaming units at all times. (firaxis needs to just fix that)

Lastly, as far as scenarios go, I've always wanted the most epic game with the most amount of technologies, so starting even earlier in neolithic hunter-gatherer times, going up to the cyborg/nano dystopian age. This includes adding new civic trees, one called "Orwellian" full of thought control/illumanati style evilness cyberpunk/1984 style.

Iceciro
Sep 23, 2010, 08:34 AM
Lastly, as far as scenarios go, I've always wanted the most epic game with the most amount of technologies, so starting even earlier in neolithic hunter-gatherer times, going up to the cyborg/nano dystopian age. This includes adding new civic trees, one called "Orwellian" full of thought control/illumanati style evilness cyberpunk/1984 style.

Get me an art team, a lot of patience for me to learn how to mod the DLL/LUA, and someone who will code a competant AI and I will build it. For serious. I've really wanted a mod like this for a game like this, but with no team it severely limits what I can do.

Railgun
Sep 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
Espionnage of some sort, and scouting of some sort. In a game where war is so important, intelligence is capital.

International trade, based on diplomatic relations and enhanced with agreements.

A Civ II - style government system to supplement (and not replace) the current policy system. It would add a set of "policies" of which you can change but only have one active at one time, and with powerful bonuses and drawbacks.

Diplomats/spies that can buy off other units or even cities.

A more advanced diplomacy system with more cooperation and interaction options.

Edit: Kael, as the most active quasi-pro modder of these forums, which of these do you think are reasonably doable? I'd like to work on these myself, but I don't want to lose time on a fool's errand.

Duke Togo
Sep 23, 2010, 08:52 AM
Diplomacy needs a real overhaul, as do the Policies.

The big one I'd like to see are national borders that go beyond our city borders. My biggest gripe with the game is that my empire isn't am empire anymore; it physically resembles a collection of small city states.

Pazyryk
Sep 23, 2010, 08:56 AM
Windmills and watermills as map improvements. Rather than making them separate from other improvements, I would have them buildable only on farm tiles. The result is a farm+windmill or farm+watermill, with an extra +1 food (to represent milling of grains, which was the primary purpose in earlier eras). Modern windmills would give +1 production and be buildable on coastal tiles too.

Epicurist
Sep 23, 2010, 08:58 AM
1. Better graphics for rivers, marshes etc (which i expect will come out with the blue)

2. Bring back religions. Im sorry, that was such a great aspect of the game. Especially in the mods where religions were either founded by random event or great prophet (as oppose to techs).

3. Espionage..but on a smaller scale. Civ 4 had WAY too much espionage.

4. Random events

5. Pollution..but on a smaller scale than civ 4.

6. Corporations.

Basically bring the best of civ 4 into Civ 5

Dict4t0rCiv
Sep 23, 2010, 09:40 AM
Just a few units:

1. Fill out the recon unit class - currently scouts are the only unit in this class and they're an ancient unit that doesn't upgrade. Maybe Scout > Explorer > Ranger > Commando/Humvee.

2. Replace the GDR with several more realistic near future/sci-fi units. Maybe an Osprey type gunship or a Reaper UAV type drone.

3. ICBMs - Bring 'em back.

4. A few other units from past civ games like the Marine, (which could get a combat bonus when attacking from the sea) the Grenadier and the Machine Gun.

5. Another modern infantry like a Spec Ops unit.

5. An Apache Longbow re-skin for the helicopter gunship.

Shiggs713
Sep 23, 2010, 09:59 AM
sticky this please mods *nudge nudge wink wink ;)

Roconar
Sep 23, 2010, 10:51 AM
A tactical scenario set up specifically to test changes to unit priorities etc. would be nice.

On that note, can someone explain to me the contents of CIV5TacticalMoves.xml ?

What does OperationsCanRecruit, DominanceZoneMove and OffenseFlavorWeight/DefenseFlavorWeight mean?

TheLopez
Sep 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
Lets keep all of the mod ideas consolidated... Please post only completed mods in the "Civ5 - Modpacks" forum

Ideas should go here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9647116#post9647116

WeneedmoreCivs
Sep 23, 2010, 03:17 PM
It would be good for folks to know what mods people are interested in.

I personally would be interested in a mod similar to how a Civ2 mod copied the game of Master of Magic. Done well, a Master of Magic mod based on Civ5 would likely see me spending many hours playing the mod.

A mod that tries to replicate the experience from Call to Power 2!
Many more civs to choose from mod.
Many more resources to choose from mod.
Many more techs (with lower requirements for each) to choose from mod.

notque
Sep 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
Fall From Heaven, and I'm willing to help code on it.

Myre
Sep 23, 2010, 04:31 PM

this x 10000000000000000000000000000

ok i cant code but i can test :)

Valkrionn
Sep 23, 2010, 04:50 PM

Where in the world have you been? :crazyeye:

Huck Finn
Sep 23, 2010, 05:32 PM
I think it would help to return all the old tile improvements back (windmills, watermills, workshops), and take them outta the cities and allow your workers to make them on tiles again. Microing workers will give us more stuff to do, which is my main complaint with the streamlining.

I'm not saying I'm against all their chages, but it seems clear that one result of them is that there is simply less to do during a given turn.

SomethingWitty
Sep 23, 2010, 05:40 PM
Just lots more stuff.

More techs
More units
More resources
More civs (I'd really like to see coast salish)

And the ability to purchase whatever it is you're currently working on, at a proportionally reduced price.

Cheshiremythos
Sep 23, 2010, 06:13 PM
I'd like to see policy tension. If I have liberty and someone else has autocracy it would be nice to have them dislike me, even if just a few "points". I have no clue how the new diplo. system works since I can't see the numbers like in Civ 4. Haven't made it around to look through the xml stuff yet. Same goes for the other policies that you can't hold at the same time (rational v piety, freedom v autocracy). I have an idea for how it could work but no programming skills so.

Trade routes. Anyone that has built a road to another city of theirs and felt underwhelmed at getting the gold you just put into the road back and thats it will know what I am talking about. Increase the yield and make it based off more than just pop. I hardly ever want to build a road unless the city has like 4-5 food resources around anymore.

Road Maint. is something else that could use a looking at. Just tuning down road maint. could solve the trade route issue. I suggest .5 a road. (I'll be making this one as soon as the modding tools come out and I figure out how to use them)

Can I put a vote in for FFH3 and RoM? Might as well while we are here.

riddleofsteel
Sep 23, 2010, 06:29 PM
This isn't a real request since it's so early, but does anyone know if it's possible to create more unique unit/cultural art? If so, was there anyone who already had plans to make such a mod? Just wondering.

karlos expert
Sep 23, 2010, 07:45 PM
What about Total Realism? I hope the TR Team start making a new one soon.

Wolfchylde
Sep 23, 2010, 08:21 PM
How about a simple mod that increases production speed and allows the player(not the AI) to raze capitals and city states.

rightfuture
Sep 23, 2010, 11:15 PM
I can't wait to see the new Rise of Mankind and REVDCM variations. Looking forward to your good ideas! I would also love to see some CIV IV ideas worked back in. I hope the best modders can cooperate and form a collective team working on improving Civ V.

D-Rockz
Sep 23, 2010, 11:25 PM

QFT I would pay another $50 for that mod alone.

rightfuture
Sep 23, 2010, 11:27 PM
Here's an idea. Maybe Modders can categorize and team up on similar mods. Mods seem to be organized around REALISM, Improved Gameplay/AI, THE FUTURE/SCIFI, THE STONE AGE, FANTASY, and OTHER PLANETS/SPACE ; why not band together around these concepts and work together to create core mods which can be easily adapted to one's own personal tastes. All these mod categories could work off a core mod like REVDCM which incorporates the majority of the collective best new ideas.

steampunk1880
Sep 24, 2010, 12:12 AM
I wish someone would tackle a remake of the Jules Verne scenario from Civ 2 Fantastic Worlds.

Aussie_Lurker
Sep 24, 2010, 12:52 AM
There are 3 things I'd most like to see modded in (& which I fear might be beyond my own abilities).

1) Make City-State influence less gold oriented, & much more *mission* oriented &, therefore, significantly increase the number & variety of missions you can perform to please them.

2) Create new City-State types-Mercantile, Scientific, Industrious & Holy (a la the Holy City-States Mod). Change Maritime to Agricultural & add a Maritime type of City-State which grants naval units to its allies.

3) Bring back the ability for culture to "infect" already owned tiles (& cities) & allow for players/AI to purchase already owned tiles from other Civs.

Not sure if all of these are do-able, but would be great to have them in my games ;)!

Aussie.

Parasky
Sep 24, 2010, 02:23 AM
I've been thinking, you could probably use the city-states to greatly improve the revolution mod that was so popular for Civ IV. Cities could keep their own little happiness meters and when they got too low they rebel. They can form little countries like city-states (but with more than one city, if possible). That to me makes more sense than having them spawn into an entirely new civilization, plus they wouldn't be trying to win the game, so they wouldn't be a threat to you later on. They would be like little banana republics!

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 02:30 AM
City States can have more than one city, so that is possible. :p

You'll see it occasionally if you get a city state involved in a war; They are quite capable of taking and holding onto a new city.

FionnMacCool
Sep 24, 2010, 06:15 AM
I'm mainly interested in such thing as Rise of Mankind for "IV". Anyone knows whether there are efforts to do something huge like that? I read that "V" is too simple in comparison to ancestor, and some hardcore IV-players may be disappointed.
It would be great to enrich Civ5 of new civs, techs, units and add religion, it is very important factor of making history, I can't imagine how it could be not applied to the game. For now it's the biggest drawback (i did not play yet).

Kid_McHutt
Sep 24, 2010, 06:17 AM
It would be great to have religion, espionage, map trading... and - of course - more civilizations, longer tech tree and more units :)

Iceciro
Sep 24, 2010, 07:30 AM
2. Replace the GDR with several more realistic near future/sci-fi units. Maybe an Osprey type gunship or a Reaper UAV type drone.

I'm actually really disappointed with the Future era. It's like "launch a ship or build a GDR, that's it." Even future Tech sucks, no more happy bonus, just a score bonus!?

santini
Sep 24, 2010, 08:29 AM
Something like Rise of Mankind: More Tech, more units, more Civs, more turns...

Adante
Sep 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
Ffh3?

six blade knife
Sep 24, 2010, 10:07 AM
I really enjoyed Rise of mankind in civ IV which gave me the impression of playing an entire new game. it'll be great havin it back in ciV

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 10:32 AM
It would be great to have religion, espionage, map trading... and - of course - more civilizations, longer tech tree and more units :)

I may or may not be working on one of those. :p

Dict4t0rCiv
Sep 24, 2010, 10:43 AM
I'm actually really disappointed with the Future era. It's like "launch a ship or build a GDR, that's it." Even future Tech sucks, no more happy bonus, just a score bonus!?

Yep, the future era is pretty meh as is. Some new units, techs, wonders and buildings would be good for that era.

Another idea for a more realistic future unit to replace the GDR could be a unit based on the MULE robotic infantry support vehicle for a future mech infantry, or a similar robotic future modern armor unit. These are actually being developed. Here's a link - http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/future-weapons/weapons/zone2/mule/mule.html

Iceciro
Sep 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
I may or may not be working on one of those. :p

Got an art team? lol. I'd work on something like that, if I had an art team. :crazyeye:

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 12:36 PM
Don't really need an art team for what I have planned. :p

Iceciro
Sep 24, 2010, 12:50 PM
Don't really need an art team for what I have planned. :p

Then it's not nearly as big as what I have planned :king:

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 12:51 PM
Then it's not nearly as big as what I have planned :king:

Oh, this is just an initial part of my plans. Eden can't be worked on till we get the DLL, but this one aspect of it can (mostly) be implemented now and will be interesting for the base game anyway. :p

Black_Dragon74
Sep 24, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'd like to see a mod to slow research times. I like having nice, long games with lots of time between eras, and a consistent problem I have with Civ 5 is that my research times often match or beat my unit production times, so I'm literally creating new units at the same rate at which I'm rendering them obsolete.
The game length feature is a nice tweak, but it adjusts the production and everything else too, which actually exacerbates the problem.
I think something to increase research times X3 or X4 would be helpful.

jasonhanna
Sep 24, 2010, 07:09 PM
unsure if its been said before, but the ability to control where tax money goes - science, gold, culture... and if you could add espionage in too, then tack that onto the list.

truthfully, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a ROM: AND mod to civ v :goodjob:

Valkrionn
Sep 24, 2010, 07:19 PM
Gold, Science, and Culture are completely separate values. They are not generated out of one base yield anymore; In fact, all are yields of their own. So there's nothing to control there, they are not linked.

_random_
Sep 24, 2010, 07:22 PM
I want what Rhye wants.

gunburned
Sep 24, 2010, 07:24 PM
Like many have said before me now. Rise of Mankind for Civ5! There is soo much potential to work with in 5 now, but soo much work. :sad:

Acoustic
Sep 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
I would like a realism mod for CiV V. Maybe something that turns it into Total War type realism eh? All of the Countries of the time, and all of them in the right starting location. Possible scripts where countries are made (or changed) in the future. Idk, are there any mods like that for CiV IV that might move to V?

caliban02
Sep 24, 2010, 09:00 PM
Legends of Revolution for Civ 5. I want this more than anything else. Going from playing Civ 4 with LoR the day before Civ 5 came out, and managing rebellions and restive overseas colonies to Civ 5 with its global happiness meter was... disheartening.

LoR more than doubled my Civ 4 play time, and that's saying something. I hung on every single update they published because each time they made the game much better.

Failing that: better AI. There were some great standalone "Improved AI" mods from 4, and I would kill to have them back.

Jesuin
Sep 24, 2010, 09:23 PM
Reduced Production Cost for most buildings mod.

I would love whoever made one for that.

Huck Finn
Sep 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
Reduced Production Cost for most buildings mod.

I would love whoever made one for that.

Both Iceciro and myself have made two different mods that change this. Best we can do until the SDK is out.

Saxonspooner
Sep 24, 2010, 09:37 PM
Fall from Heaven 3.....:)

Setzertrancer
Sep 24, 2010, 11:26 PM
I would like to see a modpack that sets the entire game in the stone age. From Cavemen to Bronzeworking. To give you an idea of what I mean, I'm talking the time period portrayed in the first age of empires.

There was a great mod for CIV IV called stone age which added three new eras to the start of the game, but then the rest of the game followed. I would like to see the bronze age end up being the end game era.

I doubt this will ever be made, if only I had the necessary skill myself. If there were any Civ game I might finally decide to learn the world editor on it would be this one.

Main problem though is with the imporved graphics, I imagine custom graphics would be even harder to make.

Oh and of course, Rise of Mankind for Civ V

Pickly
Sep 24, 2010, 11:47 PM
I would like to see a modpack that sets the entire game in the stone age. From Cavemen to Bronzeworking. To give you an idea of what I mean, I'm talking the time period portrayed in the first age of empires.

There was a great mod for CIV IV called stone age which added three new eras to the start of the game, but then the rest of the game followed. I would like to see the bronze age end up being the end game era.

I doubt this will ever be made, if only I had the necessary skill myself. If there were any Civ game I might finally decide to learn the world editor on it would be this one.

Main problem though is with the improved graphics, I imagine custom graphics would be even harder to make.

The gameplay parts of something like this could probably be done just by changing XML files, unless you wanted more special mechanics (though there are some gameplay changes that XML could accomplish alone, such as delaying farming, or delaying some other improvements, which would change a game significantly.)

Here's an idea. Maybe Modders can categorize and team up on similar mods. Mods seem to be organized around REALISM, Improved Gameplay/AI, THE FUTURE/SCIFI, THE STONE AGE, FANTASY, and OTHER PLANETS/SPACE ; why not band together around these concepts and work together to create core mods which can be easily adapted to one's own personal tastes. All these mod categories could work off a core mod like REVDCM which incorporates the majority of the collective best new ideas.

I'd definitely like to see something like this. (In previous civilization, Fall from Heaven and Final Frontier seemed to get squeezed into these roles, but doing the "generic fantasy mod", "generic planets mod", etc. first, than working off that, might help a lot of other mods along.)

As for me, the main thing I'm looking forward to are any sort of Fall From heaven type mods, or the above "generic fantasy mod", partly to play, and partly to work off of. Though, of course, I'll be looking around for some others to see how they get produced.

Silver44Guy
Sep 25, 2010, 12:01 AM
Improved AI warfare.

Joint attacks with multiple units.

A unit(s) with an ability to hide and ambush other units that walk by (or on the tile).

More ways to create battlelines other than forts... Towers for archers for increased range, diverting streams to change the river paths. Medic camps which can increase the healing of a unit.

Better policy trees (more well thought out). Synergies between policies that you have chosen.

Tone down power of city states.

Tech diffusion mod (playing on really hard difficulties is very hard to catch up with the current tech tree).

Better ways to deal with happiness on large/huge maps on very hard difficulties (seems handicapped extremely to play vs A.I. on diety on huge).

I like a lot of the ideas already mentioned as well namely:

-increase variety of city states and missions they ask for
-religious city states and factions of city states
-overhaul buildings
-rise of mankind type mod
-revolutions mod
-more tech choices
-government system in addition to policies

MAHRana
Sep 25, 2010, 01:44 AM
Rhyes and Fall of Civilization!!!

Optical
Sep 25, 2010, 02:39 AM

Seconded.

Swedish Berserk
Sep 25, 2010, 03:45 AM
I would like a diplomacy mod. So we can get the same depth like in Civ IV.

Viatrix
Sep 25, 2010, 05:54 AM
Graphics mods for sure... The game feels way too fancy to take it seriously. Nature looks so all-perfect and smooth. It's disgusting!

Civ Fuehrer
Sep 25, 2010, 06:10 AM
@ all you who are asking for a Civ V RoM
There are plans for a Civ V version of RoM (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356780) / AND (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=354047)

@ people asking for the ICBM's return
As one of RoM's mod-modders (ANM more specifically) I am also anticipating converting my mod(s) for Civ V and that will include the return of the ICBM... Which I'm already working on via raw xml files (proves tough to make a modular mod when trying to work around the mod hub without the proper tools)

Arqane
Sep 25, 2010, 06:22 AM
Harbor tile improvements. City boundaries are so big now, it annoys me even more when half of a city's tiles are in the ocean, yet you can't build any ships or coastal buildings/Wonders.

I imagine it might be possible by adding a Dock building once you research Sailing. It would only be available if the city has a coastal tile somewhere in it's radius. When finished, it adds a Dock tile improvement to a coastal tile, and flags the city as a coastal city. You could get fancier, by having the Harbor upgrade it, etc., but it's not as necessary. I think the hardest parts would be testing if there's a coastal tile in an owned hex, and then placing newly built ships on that hex.

Dalgaard
Sep 25, 2010, 09:02 AM
RFC would be so great, these new minor city states are also perfect for RFC :D
RFC :worship::love:

FionnMacCool
Sep 25, 2010, 10:26 AM
I see some of you are complaining about the production speed and general lack of production. I think it is rather intentional move of gamemakers and it constitutes Civ5. Enrich this game, but do not make it Civ4 back.

Valkrionn
Sep 25, 2010, 10:33 AM
The gameplay parts of something like this could probably be done just by changing XML files, unless you wanted more special mechanics (though there are some gameplay changes that XML could accomplish alone, such as delaying farming, or delaying some other improvements, which would change a game significantly.)

I'd definitely like to see something like this. (In previous civilization, Fall from Heaven and Final Frontier seemed to get squeezed into these roles, but doing the "generic fantasy mod", "generic planets mod", etc. first, than working off that, might help a lot of other mods along.)

As for me, the main thing I'm looking forward to are any sort of Fall From heaven type mods, or the above "generic fantasy mod", partly to play, and partly to work off of. Though, of course, I'll be looking around for some others to see how they get produced.

That 'generic' mod idea is actually not bad at all... Don't know if I see it happening unless someone sets out to do it on their own, but still, not a bad idea.

If you like fantasy mods, you may well like Eden when it comes out (need DLL access to put in several core mechanics; They reach into every aspect of the game, so rather important for the mod :p).

Improved AI warfare.

Joint attacks with multiple units.

A unit(s) with an ability to hide and ambush other units that walk by (or on the tile).

More ways to create battlelines other than forts... Towers for archers for increased range, diverting streams to change the river paths. Medic camps which can increase the healing of a unit.

Better policy trees (more well thought out). Synergies between policies that you have chosen.

Tone down power of city states.

Tech diffusion mod (playing on really hard difficulties is very hard to catch up with the current tech tree).

Better ways to deal with happiness on large/huge maps on very hard difficulties (seems handicapped extremely to play vs A.I. on diety on huge).

I like a lot of the ideas already mentioned as well namely:

-increase variety of city states and missions they ask for
-religious city states and factions of city states
-overhaul buildings
-rise of mankind type mod
-revolutions mod
-more tech choices
-government system in addition to policies

Tech Diffusion will be included in a scenario I'm working on. :p

Harbor tile improvements. City boundaries are so big now, it annoys me even more when half of a city's tiles are in the ocean, yet you can't build any ships or coastal buildings/Wonders.

I imagine it might be possible by adding a Dock building once you research Sailing. It would only be available if the city has a coastal tile somewhere in it's radius. When finished, it adds a Dock tile improvement to a coastal tile, and flags the city as a coastal city. You could get fancier, by having the Harbor upgrade it, etc., but it's not as necessary. I think the hardest parts would be testing if there's a coastal tile in an owned hex, and then placing newly built ships on that hex.

This should be possible. Could probably be done with just Lua and XML, but it would be clunky; Doubt it would be very difficult to do once DLL access is available.

Valkrionn
Sep 25, 2010, 10:34 AM
I see some of you are complaining about the production speed and general lack of production. I think it is rather intentional move of gamemakers and it constitutes Civ5. Enrich this game, but do not make it Civ4 back.

Yes, it was. The whole point was to reduce the number of units in the game (which HAD to be done, with 1upt; Imagine that setup with the average number of units you had in civ4? You wouldn't be able to move!), and get you to specialize your cities.

Earende
Sep 25, 2010, 10:47 AM
An era limit mod? Or if anyone can point me in the right direction...

Impala
Sep 25, 2010, 01:29 PM
-Hitler Mod (Legit one without bias)
-History in the making (current leaders)

BurrCheese
Sep 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
-move HUD to center screen for multi-monitor setups

Me,myself,and,I
Sep 25, 2010, 03:10 PM

Fixed.:D

darkedone02
Sep 25, 2010, 04:07 PM
If I could, I make a fantasy mod... if I could. I just need to get familiar with modding on the go and animating and making models.

dieffenbachj
Sep 25, 2010, 04:29 PM
-Hitler Mod (Legit one without bias)

Not many people knew it; but the Fuhrer was a terrific dancer." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIZKZ3C1ML8)

Raider62
Sep 25, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hi all, I can see lots of potential in CiV5. Go get em Modders!

1) Please find a way to make disabling score an option. Either make it random, or just get rid of it. This is primarily for mp games. As i hate seeing scores and people falling behind, etc. If not an option, can someone tell me how to do it. thanks.

2) EARTH MAP ON MP. lol

3) Back in CIV IV there was a mod (i dont remember which) that allowed for the number of spaces that could be worked around a city to grow as the city did. That was great. A giant city could work more tiles than the fat cross. I know it’s a little different with Hex’s now, but that was still a good idea.

4) More techs, tech tree seems like it needs some major attention. More techs, longer time to research would be nice.

5) Increase Map size on Huge.

Civilization has the best damn modders around...

Ryan19
Sep 25, 2010, 06:04 PM
Canada as a CIV for once

Acoustic
Sep 25, 2010, 08:12 PM
Any realism mods in the making? Mainly a realism mod..that makes everything realistic.

mossyfern
Sep 25, 2010, 08:59 PM
Hi, I haven't gotten this game yet (almost ready to purchase a new laptop to play it on). I'm happy that combat has been improved at least. My only hope is that modding can turn this game into awesomeness... and I'm considering getting into it myself if I can work up the free time.

So I'm pretty much pleading, pathetically, for realism in this game. I'm not sure if I can deal with archers that can shoot over mountains and other absurdities. They were probably right to deal with the stacking situation but maybe can someone, somewhere be intelligent enough to figure out how to combine units in such a way that they move and fight somewhat realistically, without being strategically boring and way too complicated? How about for instance, just creating a new 'unit' that has increased strength and the abilities of its constituents? So that when it battled it just battled as a single entity (acting like a unit, just a better one), and not in a series? I mean isn't that how actual armies work? You don't have a cannon firing from thousands of miles away, or archers, they act as part of an army but the army simply gains it's special abilities and increased strength? I'm just hoping that some modder somewhere realizes this and that it is relatively easy to do. I mean, it doesn't mean you have to give up all the other cool stuff they added, like battle lines territory bonuses and flanking and all that good stuff. In my opinion mods to give stacking are just another step backwards. Just like what they did to city combat... pretty sensible. You amass an army and it fights... either it wins or loses or retreats.

Other realistic stuff. Has anyone ever read Jared Diamond's Guns Germs and Steel? If you want an idea of how civilizations interact- that is an awesome book. And Collapse by Jared Diamond is also good. Part of what he pointed out is the role of disease in the interaction of civilizations... like when Europeans came to the Americas, what wiped out the Americans was mostly germs. And those germs were deadlier for a reason... close proximity to breeding livestock and geographical location. It would also be awesome to incorporate resource depletion into the game. After all, every resource on the planet has a peak... there will be peak oil and all the metals that are easiest to get have mostly been mined already. The ability to lose tile improvements, technology, pollution and resource depletion would be a great boost to depth of gameplay in my opinion, as long as it isn't done in a way that is merely annoying or makes the game seem hopeless or impossible.

Religions... a great way to simulate religion and a lot of other good stuff, which obviously has had a huge effect on history, is to simulate the transmission of memes. If there is a way to use the game's architecture to do this, you could make a meme be a religion or a 'civic' like communism or free market capitalism, and then fill in the details. As long as the city is infected with this attribute, certain buildings can be created or certain benefits are gained.

Religions and Espionage don't have to have all the complex controls that they did in Civ4... but just having a simple representation of it could go really far. I mean 'espionage points' are a little ridiculous... but maybe at least a spy? Religion doesn't have to be the arbiter of happiness, but maybe it could give some small benefits to social cohesion, like it does in reality... and some military dimension? The main reason Constantine converted Rome to Christianity was probably military... he fought under the Christian banner and he won. Same for Islam. All these things don't need to be eliminated just toned down a bit.

Sigh.

mleather
Sep 25, 2010, 09:27 PM
Fallout

Civ Fuehrer
Sep 25, 2010, 11:10 PM
Fallout

That's already in the game... :lol:

evelinbinder
Sep 26, 2010, 01:22 AM
If only food stagnates a warmonger is not interested in happy people, because he can rush every city and can still produce units to rush other cities.
Would unhappy people work as they would be happy ?

in which xml a could change this ?

Hashishim
Sep 26, 2010, 01:51 AM
a tax system where you can adjust tax rate, and research rate like in civ iv. That would be nice to have back, because at the moment im researching to fast, and making less money, so its a annoying, theres no control of the economy. but other than that it is good.

Oh and im hoping Kael figures out how to do static leaderheads to. So i can start with clash of civilizations for civ 5:P (civ mod pack) already playing around with the xml files (not getting to far yet), using his celt mod, and manage to get somewhere, but nothing solid yet :D. Please give me suggestions of what civz you guys will be interested in.

alegra0912
Sep 26, 2010, 03:47 AM
1. An unofficial expansion pack.
2. A mod that is equally as Rye's Civilization mod.
That would be awesome!
Or another FFH mod :D

Viatrix
Sep 26, 2010, 04:57 AM
The biggest problem for me is the amount of time it takes to change turn. I prefer peaceful building strategy, so it makes me mad just to keep pressing enter and then wait for 4 seconds or more every turn.

I hope someone makes a not-so-high requirement graphics mod, so you can actually play smoothly on a large map without it taking eternity. In Civilization IV, for example, turn time was really, really fast. That's what I'm hoping for!

Jaythekiller
Sep 26, 2010, 05:19 AM
Fallout

Wow for a first post on the forum,it's very well polished :D

eazy69stl
Sep 26, 2010, 05:43 AM
Smartmap for Civ 5 would be great:help:

mleather
Sep 26, 2010, 07:54 AM
A Fallout mod similar to the one created for CivIII that included the civs from the role-playing games.

A zombie apocalypse mod. Along the lines of the Necro Cristi mod for CivIV.

bigroman
Sep 26, 2010, 09:31 AM
How about giving players the ability to raze any city they want? I have no idea why civ 5 wont let you raze enemy capitols. It makes no sense!

AgentTBC
Sep 26, 2010, 09:31 AM
All I want is a mod so that rivers don't make me want to stab myself in the eyes. They are so ugly, someone please make them better. Particularly the sources.

Valkrionn
Sep 26, 2010, 12:20 PM
a tax system where you can adjust tax rate, and research rate like in civ iv. That would be nice to have back, because at the moment im researching to fast, and making less money, so its a annoying, theres no control of the economy. but other than that it is good.

Oh and im hoping Kael figures out how to do static leaderheads to. So i can start with clash of civilizations for civ 5:P (civ mod pack) already playing around with the xml files (not getting to far yet), using his celt mod, and manage to get somewhere, but nothing solid yet :D. Please give me suggestions of what civz you guys will be interested in.

Get a bit more unhappy and that is EXACTLY what happens. Minor unhappiness, no, warmongers won't really care. But a bit more and your units lose some effectiveness, you loose 3/4 of your production... It's bad.

How about giving players the ability to raze any city they want? I have no idea why civ 5 wont let you raze enemy capitols. It makes no sense!

Because capitals (original capitals) are involved in one of the victory conditions. Razing them would make that condition far too easy, as you could eliminate them one by one and the other players could not recapture them.

_random_
Sep 26, 2010, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see a fantasy mod beyond a generic "medieval Europe" setting. A global "mid-19th century-esque" mod could be fun.

sputnik323
Sep 26, 2010, 02:49 PM
1. I would really love a mod that adds strategic improvements eg: canals, forts, castles, fortresses, citadels, ditches, dirt berms, walls, mines, traps, cloches, pill boxes, barriers, moats, radar stations, multiple Great Wall(s) (like in real history) SDI laser and missile defense shield, watch towers, sonar buoys, launch spy satellites, ect. ect. to "build up" an impenetrable line of defenses and visibility throughout the ages. -then cut the fortification bonus so there is a need to actually build fortifications.

2. The fort mechanics of Orbis or RiFE (I think RiFE had similar mechanics but can't remember) added to ciV.

3. More early ships, naval is kind of weak in the early and medieval periods.

landlubber
Sep 26, 2010, 05:24 PM
Play as a City-State mod.
It would be nice to sit back and watch other civs fight over you.

Ryan19
Sep 26, 2010, 07:28 PM
I wish they would make Canada a civ why does america get to be in the game and not canada?

Valkrionn
Sep 26, 2010, 07:38 PM
Well... First, Firaxis is an American company.

Second, America is a super power. Canada... is not, frankly. It has rarely been important on the world stage, has no ancient history like many other civs that were chosen, and is not exotic.

Canada, and many other countries, are pretty much the realm of modmods. Not enough room in the main game to have all countries possible.

Gangor
Sep 26, 2010, 08:43 PM
A Panzer General mod, incorporating graphics as well as the combat rules from PG2. This was the inspiration for civ5 after all, so I think it would be deserved. Perhaps terrain would have to be changed so that the maps can be larger scale.

Secondly, it seems to me that the city states could work quite well in a star wars mod - planets of the former republic being city states and the empire conquering them while the rebels are trying to woo them.

bigroman
Sep 26, 2010, 09:57 PM
Get a bit more unhappy and that is EXACTLY what
Because capitals (original capitals) are involved in one of the victory conditions. Razing them would make that condition far too easy, as you could eliminate them one by one and the other players could not recapture them.

Well that makes sense. How about a mod that lets you raze original capitals after you've eliminated the civ. I'm not looking to cheese the system, I don't want bad AI placement to hamstring my empire.

Nogre
Sep 26, 2010, 10:02 PM
FFH3!

And I'd be willing to contribute to such a mod, but the only useful skills I can offer are my writing skills...

Valkrionn
Sep 26, 2010, 10:05 PM
Well that makes sense. How about a mod that lets you raze original capitals after you've eliminated the civ. I'm not looking to cheese the system, I don't want bad AI placement to hamstring my empire.

IIRC, if a civ has been eliminated and then it's capital is captured by someone else, you can liberate them in the same way you can City States. Which is likely another very good reason they don't allow you to raze them. :lol:

bigroman
Sep 27, 2010, 12:22 AM
IIRC, if a civ has been eliminated and then it's capital is captured by someone else, you can liberate them in the same way you can City States. Which is likely another very good reason they don't allow you to raze them. :lol:

Another valid point, but theres got to be some kind of time limit. It would make sense that an ally could liberate him in the next X amt of turns. History is littered with long dead civs that few will remember or try to resurrect. From a mechanics perspective: sure I could liberate a civ in another civs empire but the effectiveness would diminish with every turn.

edit: So far, the only way to be sure a rival civ wont cause any mischief is to wipe them out. This leaves you with a capital that you may not want (for placement reasons or happiness reasons (especially if its an early grab)). You could puppet it, but it will build whatever it wants and drain your empires gold for maintenence (especially early/midgame), can build projects you wanted in other cities, add to unhappiness as it grows, and steal valuable tiles. At least with city states, you can choose to bribe them and get some bonuses as well. At the very least you should have an option to give broad directives such as "focus on commerce/research/war/etc" or even "stagnate culture/population/etc".

Mostly though, these pathtic villages are blight on the landscape and must be removed in order to protect dear leaders utopian dreams :P

Stiefel
Sep 27, 2010, 01:07 AM
First of all, I would like you to know that I regestered on the forum just for the reason of sharing this idea. But that's not the main point, and we'll get right back on topic.

Now, we all know that Civ 5 is vastly more simplistic than Civ 4. Another version of Civ Revolution, as many would put it. The main idea of this mod is to bring back the complexity and strategy of the mod that makes the Civ franchise so great. I'm sure that veterans to Civ would very much enjoy the mod if implemented.

http://www.travelandtransitions.com/interviews/images/mus_civ5.JPG

The main idea of the mod is to bring back most of the management features of Civ 4 whilst leaving things like City-States and the new combat engine untouched (although we could let units stack and make them cheaper like in Civ 4). Things like city management, health, civics, research based on commerce, the sliders, espionage/spies, cottages, allowing players to manually choose tiles for cities to work, etc. should be implemented. No more of this crap where all you have to do is build cities near luxury resources and spam trading posts to get a proper victory.

We can also fix diplomacy in Civ 5 to make it more like Civ 4. We can add things like Vassal States and trade routes to make diplomacy more fruitful and more like Civ 4 whilst leaving most of the things in Civ 5 intact.

http://gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/civ-5.jpg

Please PM me if you have any interest in this idea. I'll say in advance that I have almost no experience in programming or texturing. However, I do have moderate experience in file compression and creating torrents, as well as solid knowledge of Civ 4 and Civ 5 game mechanics.

user624
Sep 27, 2010, 02:01 AM
1. I'm german, so my english might be a little awful. My spelling particular. Sorry about that.
2. I'm not a modder, so my ideas may be impossible to realize and may not work as I thought.
3. This will be a damn long post.

Ok, my first idea/wish was about religion.
As I understand it, religion has no function at all in the game as it is. Since it played and plays a major role in some counties as well as an reason for states to enter wars and as an tool to control/unify your people it deserves a (minor) role in this game.
As the main effects on the game are covert with the "pious" civic I think effects on international politics should be added ass well.
My idea is, that once you adapted "pious" you have to choose a religion, giving you a diplomatic bonus (like honorable) to followers of the same religion and mali to followers of other religions. Other function of religion should be that it is a trigger for religion specific events/missions (more on that topic later).

Second idea/wish is that there should be more technologies and civics (ok, nothing surprising) and that they should be entwined. So that a civic conditional for a tech and otherwise around, or that certain bonuses of technologies are only available if you got a specific civic. On the part more civics and techs: they should give lesser bonuses/units/buildings/bonuses and take less time to explore.

The third idea/wish is like the first kind of Civ4: Companies. In Civ4 they were rather powerful and I don't want them back in that style, but as history showed companies and lobbies have a mayor impact on policy and economy.
My idea is, that by reaching the middle ages you get opportunities to get temporary bonuses by companies. That could be done by events/missions or a project which needs to be build in a city.

The fourth idea/wish are events. Nothing new ether but i really liked them (specifically in FFH and the FFH modmods). I think by events religion and companies could gain influence on the game without outbalancing it. You are "pious"? Crusade event - ether get a gold bonus and go to war or receive a malus on happiness. You want a temporary bonus on gold per trade route/cotton? Found the EITC (east india trading company) by acquiring half of the tapped spice. But there are other events that I think would improve the game, like floods, volcano-eruptions, tornados, game moving from one tile to another, finding and loosing resources etc. With event and chain of events (much like in FFH, just more and more entwined with techs/civics) you would even have to decide and do something in your turns. Furthermore I would like events like circumnavigation of the earth, conquering north/south pole, finding new continents etc.

The fifth idea/wish I like to be called "temporary wonders". While you have the longest trade route of all players you get the silk-route- "temporary wounder" which gives yous some gold. Same for more than half of a tabbed resource (monopolization of ...), the most allied city-states, the most coast-cities, etc.
The highest culture (and military output) could give a bonus on diplomacy, the highest science on culture, the highest production on science. Being the biggest country (as well as in land-mass as in people) should give a bonus on happiness.
All these bonuses don't need to be big but it would feel nice to have a achievment count s.th.

The sixth idea/wish is not so well thought through and is partially covert by the companies-idea, but I would like to have some kind of world-resource-market and more trade agreements and effects.

The seventh idea/wish are more information. I really would like some chart were all the resources, units, cities (tapped by me/tapped by nation/total tabbed/total not tabbed) are listed.

The eighth and last idea/wish are more "mood-lets" for the AI. Besides hostile there should be afraid, thankful, envious, angry etc. Besides, I really would like to know why there are what.

That's it, thank you for reading.

Oh and bring FFH3 !

molnibalage
Sep 27, 2010, 02:01 AM
Mybe these were posted, I did not have time to read everything. About two game I found these issues.

- Even the very big cities the the production is very small comparing the demand of bulidings and units.

- Science specialist are much more effective than engineers specialist. They produce 3 RP but engineers produce only one hammer as I can remember. Is this a joke counting the expensive units and bulding?

- 0 spying? You are not able to get any information from your enemy.

- Why is the hurry option is missing? Buying something from 0 is expensive that is insane.

- It seems to me impossible to protect the transport ships. You are not able to detroy enemy fleet effectively with only ship, it takes long time. If enemy has 2 ships it is possible to kill 2 of your transport even the its ships are just firage and I have destroyer or battleship. (Do aircraft can detroy transport ships? If they are without fight the issue is more harder.)

- Every invention cost in the same era / time are the seme even their magnitude are different? This is insane.

- The tile improvements why do not upgrade with scinence? It is a bad joke that the tile impr. that boos your gold have the same effect in ancient era and in modern age... This is also true for mining. (The farm can be boosted with civil sercives and fertilizer.)

- City upgrade is very slow. As I can remember hospital is the first that can help preserve the ceratin percent of food storage after grows your citiy. Maybe the granary or other building sohuld give 25% in earlier stage of the game.

Is is hard to make it to lower the required hammer for units and vehicles to boost up a bit the game? I guess that putting new features can be hard but changeing "only" (?) some values in database?:rolleyes: Even this small change can help improving the game.

user624
Sep 27, 2010, 04:27 AM
Didn't want to edit my previous post to add this "new" idea/wish. It's long enough.

Ninth Idea/wish:
I think one of the characteristics of Civ are the specific traits of the leaders and the special advantages/unites/buildings a civilization possesses. But while characteristics of a specific leader actually makes sense special advantages, units and buildings tied to civilizations don't, since I'm "rewriting" history and not repeating it.
So my wish would be to remove the ties of units/buildings to nations, as well as "national" advantages and entwine these with events (yeah I love those), civics and techs.

So if you want the panzer-uu you need to have some tanks and then research a tech which allows to upgrade them into panzer. The tech would only allow you that and would be researchable only by the first player. If you want your civilization to gain bonus gold from pillaging, you need to raze x cities and/or y barbarian encampments. If you want to have faster ships/more culture/gold per trade route accomplish similar tasks, same with units and buildings.
My ideas for triggers are possession of minimum (units, output, population, cities, allied city-states, defeated units/players etc), special tech researched and task/mission absolved. The abilities of the nation and units/buildings should be limited though. I think a limit of one national ability (the later in the game you acquire the ability the more powerful it should be) and a limit of two buildings+units per era would be fine. I wish these aspects were a little more like the unimportant trait in Orbis.

In addition to that, I think leader and nation should be selectable separately. The leader should have some fixed quality, while the nation should have none (and acquire them via play).

Opellulo
Sep 27, 2010, 07:16 AM
Just registered but long time Civ fan, my wishes for a Civ V mod:
- Expanded City States types and diplomacy: more mission, better interaction and long time cooperation could lead to Puppet-State and annexation.
- I like very much the stategic resource management, all resources should work that way: maybe you got a gold (6) or a sheep (4) resource. You could use that to fuel building bouns: granary +1 food (+2 additional foods with wheath) maybe in a tiered way so that granary could become Food market +2 food (+2 additional food with wheath or rice, bonus stacks) and so on.
- Reworked unit promotions
- Religion!
- Everything from the [Annoyances & Issues] thread

and of course FFH3!

Sparthage
Sep 27, 2010, 07:38 AM
Lord of the Rings.

Valkrionn
Sep 27, 2010, 09:01 AM
Another valid point, but theres got to be some kind of time limit. It would make sense that an ally could liberate him in the next X amt of turns. History is littered with long dead civs that few will remember or try to resurrect. From a mechanics perspective: sure I could liberate a civ in another civs empire but the effectiveness would diminish with every turn.

edit: So far, the only way to be sure a rival civ wont cause any mischief is to wipe them out. This leaves you with a capital that you may not want (for placement reasons or happiness reasons (especially if its an early grab)). You could puppet it, but it will build whatever it wants and drain your empires gold for maintenence (especially early/midgame), can build projects you wanted in other cities, add to unhappiness as it grows, and steal valuable tiles. At least with city states, you can choose to bribe them and get some bonuses as well. At the very least you should have an option to give broad directives such as "focus on commerce/research/war/etc" or even "stagnate culture/population/etc".

Mostly though, these pathtic villages are blight on the landscape and must be removed in order to protect dear leaders utopian dreams :P

Eh, I've usually found capitals useful (some nice resources), but see your point. Likely needs DLL work though.

First of all, I would like you to know that I regestered on the forum just for the reason of sharing this idea. But that's not the main point, and we'll get right back on topic.

Now, we all know that Civ 5 is vastly more simplistic than Civ 4. Another version of Civ Revolution, as many would put it. The main idea of this mod is to bring back the complexity and strategy of the mod that makes the Civ franchise so great. I'm sure that veterans to Civ would very much enjoy the mod if implemented.

http://www.travelandtransitions.com/interviews/images/mus_civ5.JPG

The main idea of the mod is to bring back most of the management features of Civ 4 whilst leaving things like City-States and the new combat engine untouched (although we could let units stack and make them cheaper like in Civ 4). Things like city management, health, civics, research based on commerce, the sliders, espionage/spies, cottages, allowing players to manually choose tiles for cities to work, etc. should be implemented. No more of this crap where all you have to do is build cities near luxury resources and spam trading posts to get a proper victory.

We can also fix diplomacy in Civ 5 to make it more like Civ 4. We can add things like Vassal States and trade routes to make diplomacy more fruitful and more like Civ 4 whilst leaving most of the things in Civ 5 intact.

http://gamerant.com/wp-content/uploads/civ-5.jpg

Please PM me if you have any interest in this idea. I'll say in advance that I have almost no experience in programming or texturing. However, I do have moderate experience in file compression and creating torrents, as well as solid knowledge of Civ 4 and Civ 5 game mechanics.

This has been discussed to death, but no, Civ5 is not more simplistic. It is just different. It comes down to being offered many small, relatively unimportant decisions (thereby involving you more), or a few crucial decisions that affect you for the entire game (thereby being more meaningful). Neither is inherently more complex; They are different approaches.

As for your list of points:

City management? What exactly do you mean?
Health may be a valid addition, depends on how it's done IMO (I'd make it an aspect of the city, like in civ4, to differentiate it from happiness)
Civics can already be added if you tweak the policies. I've already explained how. :p
I would not base research on commerce again, personally. I like them being separate, and the sliders were just meaningless drivel to give you the illusion of action each turn. :p (Yes, I know they had real effect, but the point still stands; They were generally nothing more than a turn-by-turn tweak, and I prefer having them separate)
I despised espionage in BtS.
Cottages can be readded easily, necessary tags are still there. Hell, you can even have it upgrade faster if it has freshwater access.
Players CAN manually choose tiles. Just expand the 'citizens' tree in the city menu.
What 'diplomacy' in civ4? Really, there was none. It was manipulation of game mechanics, not diplomacy; You switch to THIS religion or THAT civic to get them happy with you, nothing more. I'm not saying it's great in Civ5 either (it's not), but it wasn't great in Civ4. :p
Vassal states I would enjoy. No idea why it was removed.
Same with trade.

As for your strategy... Don't spam trading posts. Trust me, just don't. It hurts far more than it helps. Spam farms. Farms and lumbermills everywhere. :lol: Sure, less commerce per citizen... But you have far more citizens. Play a game where you aggressively expand and focus on food, and be amazed.

1. I'm german, so my english might be a little awful. My spelling particular. Sorry about that.
2. I'm not a modder, so my ideas may be impossible to realize and may not work as I thought.
3. This will be a damn long post.

Ok, my first idea/wish was about religion.
As I understand it, religion has no function at all in the game as it is. Since it played and plays a major role in some counties as well as an reason for states to enter wars and as an tool to control/unify your people it deserves a (minor) role in this game.
As the main effects on the game are covert with the "pious" civic I think effects on international politics should be added ass well.
My idea is, that once you adapted "pious" you have to choose a religion, giving you a diplomatic bonus (like honorable) to followers of the same religion and mali to followers of other religions. Other function of religion should be that it is a trigger for religion specific events/missions (more on that topic later).

Second idea/wish is that there should be more technologies and civics (ok, nothing surprising) and that they should be entwined. So that a civic conditional for a tech and otherwise around, or that certain bonuses of technologies are only available if you got a specific civic. On the part more civics and techs: they should give lesser bonuses/units/buildings/bonuses and take less time to explore.

The third idea/wish is like the first kind of Civ4: Companies. In Civ4 they were rather powerful and I don't want them back in that style, but as history showed companies and lobbies have a mayor impact on policy and economy.
My idea is, that by reaching the middle ages you get opportunities to get temporary bonuses by companies. That could be done by events/missions or a project which needs to be build in a city.

The fourth idea/wish are events. Nothing new ether but i really liked them (specifically in FFH and the FFH modmods). I think by events religion and companies could gain influence on the game without outbalancing it. You are "pious"? Crusade event - ether get a gold bonus and go to war or receive a malus on happiness. You want a temporary bonus on gold per trade route/cotton? Found the EITC (east india trading company) by acquiring half of the tapped spice. But there are other events that I think would improve the game, like floods, volcano-eruptions, tornados, game moving from one tile to another, finding and loosing resources etc. With event and chain of events (much like in FFH, just more and more entwined with techs/civics) you would even have to decide and do something in your turns. Furthermore I would like events like circumnavigation of the earth, conquering north/south pole, finding new continents etc.

The fifth idea/wish I like to be called "temporary wonders". While you have the longest trade route of all players you get the silk-route- "temporary wounder" which gives yous some gold. Same for more than half of a tabbed resource (monopolization of ...), the most allied city-states, the most coast-cities, etc.
The highest culture (and military output) could give a bonus on diplomacy, the highest science on culture, the highest production on science. Being the biggest country (as well as in land-mass as in people) should give a bonus on happiness.
All these bonuses don't need to be big but it would feel nice to have a achievment count s.th.

The sixth idea/wish is not so well thought through and is partially covert by the companies-idea, but I would like to have some kind of world-resource-market and more trade agreements and effects.

The seventh idea/wish are more information. I really would like some chart were all the resources, units, cities (tapped by me/tapped by nation/total tabbed/total not tabbed) are listed.

The eighth and last idea/wish are more "mood-lets" for the AI. Besides hostile there should be afraid, thankful, envious, angry etc. Besides, I really would like to know why there are what.

That's it, thank you for reading.

Oh and bring FFH3 !

Some decent ideas.

I have a plan for religion. All I'll say, as it's one of the mods I'm developing actively. :lol:
You mean social policies? In any case, could be interesting, but atm it appears that the screen for them is hardcoded to ten policy trees.
Corporations could be interesting, if done well. I think they are boring in civ4, however. Useful, sure, but boring as all hell. :p
Events would be excellent. Technically, we could implement it using just Lua; Create a table of possible results, each turn run a % chance for an event to fire and then calculate the best event choice. Would be clunky though.
Interesting concept.
More trade would be good, could improve diplomacy.
I agree. More info is needed.
And that could be fun. :p

Mybe these were posted, I did not have time to read everything. About two game I found these issues.

- Even the very big cities the the production is very small comparing the demand of bulidings and units.

- Science specialist are much more effective than engineers specialist. They produce 3 RP but engineers produce only one hammer as I can remember. Is this a joke counting the expensive units and bulding?

- 0 spying? You are not able to get any information from your enemy.

- Why is the hurry option is missing? Buying something from 0 is expensive that is insane.

- It seems to me impossible to protect the transport ships. You are not able to detroy enemy fleet effectively with only ship, it takes long time. If enemy has 2 ships it is possible to kill 2 of your transport even the its ships are just firage and I have destroyer or battleship. (Do aircraft can detroy transport ships? If they are without fight the issue is more harder.)

- Every invention cost in the same era / time are the seme even their magnitude are different? This is insane.

- The tile improvements why do not upgrade with scinence? It is a bad joke that the tile impr. that boos your gold have the same effect in ancient era and in modern age... This is also true for mining. (The farm can be boosted with civil sercives and fertilizer.)

- City upgrade is very slow. As I can remember hospital is the first that can help preserve the ceratin percent of food storage after grows your citiy. Maybe the granary or other building sohuld give 25% in earlier stage of the game.

Is is hard to make it to lower the required hammer for units and vehicles to boost up a bit the game? I guess that putting new features can be hard but changeing "only" (?) some values in database?:rolleyes: Even this small change can help improving the game.

Production is meant to be low. They don't want you building everything in each city; You're meant to specialize. Whether you like that or not is a different story; I do, but don't like the method used (rather than cut production and increase maintenance, buildings should oppose each other. All basic buildings can be built, but building an advanced building (one that requires a lower tier building) could block the construction of another advanced building; Build a bank, but not an armory, for example).
I agree, it's fairly ridiculous. :p That's one thing changed in the Economy mod I'm working on; Buffed them to two, and added another method of gaining production that does NOT require hills. Would put engineers at 3, but I'm trying to make non-hill cities viable; Specialists can be used by both, so I decided not to go that route.
I never liked espionage in BtS so I don't miss it being gone. :lol:
I agree. Looks like the base code is there; No idea how difficult it could be to expose.
You mean embarked units? Not aware of any transports. In any case, I've never really had a problem with it.
You mean tech cost? Not sure if they're all the same or not. If they are, it can be easily tweaked.
Lumbermills are also boosted, but otherwise none of them are. I agree, might be a good thing to add.
I think it may supposed to be like that, but wouldn't mind the change. :lol:
It is not hard at all, and that is one thing I'm doing in my economy mod (so far all building costs are reduced by 20%)

....I actually wrote a small java program that I could input values into, and have reduced by 20%, for #9. No numpad on my laptop, so I got tired of the calculator. :lol:

Didn't want to edit my previous post to add this "new" idea/wish. It's long enough.

Ninth Idea/wish:
I think one of the characteristics of Civ are the specific traits of the leaders and the special advantages/unites/buildings a civilization possesses. But while characteristics of a specific leader actually makes sense special advantages, units and buildings tied to civilizations don't, since I'm "rewriting" history and not repeating it.
So my wish would be to remove the ties of units/buildings to nations, as well as "national" advantages and entwine these with events (yeah I love those), civics and techs.

So if you want the panzer-uu you need to have some tanks and then research a tech which allows to upgrade them into panzer. The tech would only allow you that and would be researchable only by the first player. If you want your civilization to gain bonus gold from pillaging, you need to raze x cities and/or y barbarian encampments. If you want to have faster ships/more culture/gold per trade route accomplish similar tasks, same with units and buildings.
My ideas for triggers are possession of minimum (units, output, population, cities, allied city-states, defeated units/players etc), special tech researched and task/mission absolved. The abilities of the nation and units/buildings should be limited though. I think a limit of one national ability (the later in the game you acquire the ability the more powerful it should be) and a limit of two buildings+units per era would be fine. I wish these aspects were a little more like the unimportant trait in Orbis.

In addition to that, I think leader and nation should be selectable separately. The leader should have some fixed quality, while the nation should have none (and acquire them via play).

I'm sure that would be possible, but would take either a lot of scripting or some DLL work.

Just registered but long time Civ fan, my wishes for a Civ V mod:
- Expanded City States types and diplomacy: more mission, better interaction and long time cooperation could lead to Puppet-State and annexation.
- I like very much the stategic resource management, all resources should work that way: maybe you got a gold (6) or a sheep (4) resource. You could use that to fuel building bouns: granary +1 food (+2 additional foods with wheath) maybe in a tiered way so that granary could become Food market +2 food (+2 additional food with wheath or rice, bonus stacks) and so on.
- Reworked unit promotions
- Religion!
- Everything from the [Annoyances & Issues] thread

and of course FFH3!

I'm actually doing something like the second idea, but only for the 'bonus' resources, not luxuries. :p

armchairwarrior
Sep 27, 2010, 09:17 AM
hmm didn't notice this thread, i was posting in the components thread instead. i'll repasted what i wrote on other threads :).

I haven't read other request yet , but here is my request.

terraforming with workers.

the ability to change mountains to hills to plains to lakes(or ocean).

mountain tech.(early game tech)

change mountains so its useful. like given resources. but like sailing into the ocean, you have to research tech before going over the mountain with any units or use the resources by the city.

terraforming artificial rivers . like the grand canal. would have the same effect as normal rivers. but could only use existing lake or river to extend the river.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canal_%28China%29

mega cities tech. (industrial era)

double the size of the radius of cities resources. but a twin city would popout next to your city hex, but you choose the hex to plant the expanded city. also should be able to be razed etc. (i'm sick of running a large empire , i prefer mega cities). if you can have the option of doing like 3 hex max expansion(4 including original hex)

raiders tech. (early game tech)

you get to play barbarian. where you don't have to declare war on anyone by going to war. only draw back is everyone can attack you including barbarians. also each unit killed by other civilizations. they would turn hostile and attack your civ. like a hate meter like the city states have. each unit destroy is like capturing info from your raiders. eventually they'll get the id of who is behind the raiders. also should add a button to turn raider ability on and off the units but button should be only available inside your own civ cities(change uniforms :P).

change how rifles shoot.

rifle guys should be more like bow/crossbow guys. they should be able to shoot in a straight line, even a few hex away just like them, but can't shoot over units or obstecles like them but only in a straight line, unless the target is higher than the obstetrical or unit. example rifle target is two hex away with a rifle in the way. he can't shoot the target, but if the target is on a hill or mountain, he should be able to. the range should be the same as bow/crossbow. also if shooting from say hill or mountain nothing should block the shot. unless you're on a hill and a mountain is in the way to your target. also should shot a hex farther. if you're on a mountain you should be have a adventage of shooting a 2 hex farther. hill get one hex. this would making holding high ground more important.

spy-steath-snipper girl hey they got deathbots why not something like this. (modern era)

basically there should be a button for stealth/invisible. once that button is press you can't shot anything for that turn. next turn you can go around killing but once you fire your weapon, becomes visible again. and everyone can attack you. make it the slightly stronger than the late game mech infantry. (make her hot )

better map options like more trees or alot of waters or mountains or hills etc.. should be in the map selection.

leader's traits should be separated from the civs, get better replay out of it. sick of playing one nation(my favor japan cause of their Bushido lol, second fav is aztecs)

the ability raze capture capitals city as any other city.

every civ should have their special ground units ability continue on the upgraded units. even if they build new ones.

for example:

america minuteman - have their special with moving through rough as it was flat. all upgrades after that unit should have that ability. like from rifle through mech infantry. (if you add in snipper girl would be cool)

china chu ko nu - all upgrade after that should have the ability to attack twice.

rome legion- all future upgrades should have the ability work roads and forts.

well you get the idea .

all the resources should be visible not in use until you get to research the tech, it makes for better game play.

plus there are good historic basis for this. almost every thing in history i could think of folks knew about these natural resources before the advancement to use them sometimes they already use them.

hell we had horses for long as human history. we had coal use since ancient times, we had iron for a long time, we had deep well drilling for salt, natural gas was a by product use for lighting(argument for oil lol, i know its not oil but its very related :P, i'm sure if there was abundant oil in china they probably would of notice it)

only thing i can think of that doesn't have a ancient use or notice is aluminum and uranium:/ lol but its makes the game more fun to notice it before.

hmm i'll give aluminum a shot anyway . the romans and greeks use it as a aluminum salts as dye agent. they found a aluminum belt buckle in a ancient Chinese tomb.(whom ever made it went to the grave with the tech, since silver was the main currency for most of chinese history)

nothing on uranium lol.

sodrlame
Sep 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
I like that they've done away with stacking, but would like some way of grouping and moving adjacent units together. Would be much less tedious if I could move an army with one command rather than having to give each unit orders to move.

helpless_writer
Sep 27, 2010, 12:07 PM
1. Being able to buy tiles from other civilizations

2. See where AI is making land claims as well as make claims of your own

3. Better City-State interface

4. Do work on Mountains

5. Make diplomacy and trade more necessary

Mad Yank
Sep 27, 2010, 04:58 PM
3) Historical Fiction mods! If anyone has read the "Ring of Fire"/"1632" series, I'd love to play with Mike Stearns of the USE, or Gustavus II Adolphus of Sweden or Cardinal Richelieu of France. I'm sure there are other wonderful historical fictions that I haven't read that would be wonderful for mod faction ideas.

DEFINITELY!!

I really LIKE this idea! I SO want to drag a pair of Win. 308s around with Julie Sims and Gretchen Richter and the CC gang, all over central Europe, helping Mike and the UMWA get Gustav Adolphus straightened out and Vienna over it's "We're Great and you're not!" fits.
Not to mention watching the New USEAF grow from the Las Vegas Belle to a full-blown Air Force - and John Simpson building a Navy from scratch.

Me WANT!! If I was any good as a programmer, I'd do it myself. But we DO want something that works!

TexasBadger
Sep 27, 2010, 06:51 PM
1. Better graphics for rivers, marshes etc (which i expect will come out with the blue)

2. Bring back religions. Im sorry, that was such a great aspect of the game. Especially in the mods where religions were either founded by random event or great prophet (as oppose to techs).

3. Espionage..but on a smaller scale. Civ 4 had WAY too much espionage.

4. Random events

5. Pollution..but on a smaller scale than civ 4.

6. Corporations.

I like your suggestions, especially on random events, corporations, and religion. Espionage like in the older Civ versions would be better than what was in Civ4.

My dream is a Marathon game that is really marathon. What do I mean? I dunno exactly but at least fewer years per turn in the earlier years. Would also like to see the ridiculous time frames for building things cut down. Several hundred years to build a granary (for instance) is just way too long.

Quetz
Sep 27, 2010, 07:33 PM
The one mod I want more than any other right now: Something that adds the ablity to generate a cruise missile every 2 turns (or something), max of 2 (or whatever) to the GDR. What kind of giant mech doesn't have missiles??

This would be so cool (imo) that I can't believe Firaxis didn't do it!

Aussie_Lurker
Sep 28, 2010, 12:12 AM
I like your suggestions, especially on random events, corporations, and religion. Espionage like in the older Civ versions would be better than what was in Civ4.

My dream is a Marathon game that is really marathon. What do I mean? I dunno exactly but at least fewer years per turn in the earlier years. Would also like to see the ridiculous time frames for building things cut down. Several hundred years to build a granary (for instance) is just way too long.

I don't know why people were so down on Civ4 Espionage. The beautiful thing about it was how you could determine your level of involvement, yet still get some tangible benefit from it. So in some games I'd almost totally ignore my EP's, but often still get enough points to access the Demographic Info of rival civs &-in some cases-even get to look inside some of their cities. In other games, I'd really push an Espionage Strategy-focusing on tearing down my nearest rivals with spy missions, whilst deploying spies in a way to prevent missions being performed against me too easy. This was made even more interesting with the fact that you were rewarded for *patience*. The longer you left a spy in a city, the better the chance of a successful mission!

Aussie.

The_Reckoning
Sep 28, 2010, 03:00 AM
AI in general, especially combat +1

I want the AI to be able to do the same things I do, and play me in combat in a non-idiotic way.

I'm sure more tricks will emerge, but things like using naval units correctly [or at all], taking advantage of flanking bonuses and protecting workers properly come to mind.

Lemort
Sep 28, 2010, 06:10 AM
AI in general, especially combat +1

I want the AI to be able to do the same things I do, and play me in combat in a non-idiotic way.

I'm sure more tricks will emerge, but things like using naval units correctly [or at all], taking advantage of flanking bonuses and protecting workers properly come to mind.

Constructing a clever Ai is not possible with the level of computers we have today.
Just look at the ancient game "GO" and how difficult it is to build AI around. I know that Deeb Blue was able to beat Kasparov in chess. But in chess there arent that many possibilities to choose from and the as game progresses the choises will be more obvius (just like most other games).
But in "GO" they havent even build a machine that can beat proffesionels, and thats because there are almost and infinite of choices. And i have yet to see a computer that can match the complexity and ingenuity of the human brain.

I wont argue that the ai could need a upgrade, but even in civ 4 on deity the com wasent smarter, just richer and more productive.

What i like about civ is the same i like about "GO" its the endless choices, the wast possibilites, and the depth of the game.

If i want real challenges i play online. Since humans seem to be better at grasping the almost infinite than computeres are.

By the way i am willing to help with mods if any need some. I cant code, but i am good at game-testing (checking for balance), and have lots of good ideas. Just ask

Lemort
Sep 28, 2010, 06:19 AM
I loved the Espionage in civ 4 too. Loved how you could decide how much you wanted to use it, if it should be active or inactive, use the points or just stack the points. I even build a Espionage strat, but it wasent as good as the produce the stack of doom and go nuts strat. Stealing techs just isent as good as developing them selves, cause you can never be ahead in techs. But i liked building horse soldiers then have spies planted in the citys i wanted and when my horses reached the gates the city would go in anarchy and no city bonus, hence no need for those cats, just a big pile of horses, you could conqour wast portions of land this way and very fast.

The espionage strat wasent as effective but often more fun than the regular ones.

Taan
Sep 28, 2010, 09:20 AM
The higher difficulties seem to be make the AI better at combat, so if somebody could reduce the amount of cheating (free units etc.) we could use the high difficulties to play on normal (as they still way too dumb). should be relatively easy I think

LDiCesare
Sep 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
There's one mod I'd almost need to buy the game, based on the demo:

Better 2D graphics for units on the strategic view.

Reason: If you play with only the strategic view, or use it most of the time and the 3D view only when you can't do something (like getting a unit out of a city), then the game is not really usable because the unit icons are too small to be useful, not in the center of the hex where they belong, and too iconic to be beautiful.
(Reason to use the strategic view: It doesn't overheat my cpu.)

Valkrionn
Sep 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
There's one mod I'd almost need to buy the game, based on the demo:

Better 2D graphics for units on the strategic view.

Reason: If you play with only the strategic view, or use it most of the time and the 3D view only when you can't do something (like getting a unit out of a city), then the game is not really usable because the unit icons are too small to be useful, not in the center of the hex where they belong, and too iconic to be beautiful.
(Reason to use the strategic view: It doesn't overheat my cpu.)

What? How are the unit icons too small? Keep in mind, I use almost exclusively Strategic View. :p

The icons are off center because there are also icons for resources and improvements.

LDiCesare
Sep 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
I think the units are too small because 99% of the time I'm only interested in seeing units.
Their being off-center is because there's stuff below, I know, but said stuff isn't as important and shouldn't take as much space in my opinion.
(I have a generic gripe against this UI feature that requires you to look for stuff on the border of a hex instead of inside the hex. It's unintuitive. The first time I clicked to grab a new tile for my city, I selected the tile below the one I wanted because I clicked on the hex, I didn't expect the symbol I had to click to be outside the hex.)
I want units in the middle of the hex.
I also think an axe inside a circle for instance isn't telltale and that civ1 graphics were better.

The_Reckoning
Sep 28, 2010, 08:10 PM
Constructing a clever Ai is not possible with the level of computers we have today.

I agree with what you're saying, but when open source Battle for Wesnoth can do hex combat a lot better, and when the AI simply isn't programmed to make use of certain game features, then there's always room for improvement.

Even if it makes use of scripted build orders and scripted set reactions and battle plans it'd make it a lot more of a challenge than rolling over AIs with 4 horsemen or 3 swords and a catapult.

sleepysteve
Sep 28, 2010, 08:36 PM
civ 5 is really lacking individuality, in the civs i mean. The civ's units look the same, and for the most part they play the same. if new units were created for each civ, then the game would feel much more diverse and real. so i dont think new civs should be created yet, the existing ones need an awful lot of work.

gunnergoz
Sep 28, 2010, 08:42 PM
All I want is Dale's Europe map with the right civilizations in place including independents. Right now I wouldn't even mind seeing the Japanese in place of the Spanish in Spain, just to get things started. At least until someone mods a Spanish civ.

bolesting
Sep 29, 2010, 02:20 AM
Is there some way for fighters to explore area and bombers to bombard resources?

solistus
Sep 29, 2010, 03:54 AM
I'm sure plenty of folks are working on mods like this but I'm eagerly awaiting the emergence of some big 'mega-modpacks' that seek to add lots of rebalancing, new features, new content, etc., like Rise of Mankind for cIV.

I would LOOOOOVE a Rhye's-type historical mod. RFC was pretty much all I played on cIV once I got bored with FFH2 and aside from the occasional RoM game for a chance of pace. I'm pretty sure I remember reading a post from Rhye saying he's got no immediate plans for a ciV mod; if that's the case, I sure hope someone else steps up to the plate!

Silver44Guy
Sep 29, 2010, 04:53 AM
I'd also love to see a mod that includes cyber-warfare for the modern age. Not sure how it would be implemented but it would be cool to do industrial sabotage, maybe akin to spies.

wolfsruhm
Sep 29, 2010, 06:09 AM
Mountains, all i say is MOUNTAINS.

What the hell is wrong with firaxis prohibiting the use of mountains since civ iv?

Since the ages humans have used and crossed mountains at the leasure(well most didn't do it for a liking, but they still did). Entire civilizations where centered beeing highland culture, like the mayas, who even build an quite large city in approx 4000 meters of height into the Andens Mountain Range. Yet still, Firaxis dinies this fact(funny enough though the Mayas were a civilization in Civ IV). Anyone ever played on Earth(huge) and got placed in SouthAm? without ship you cannot get off this :):):):)ing continent, cause you are seperated from MidAm by a :):):):)ing mountainstile.

Well there are quite a few other things i do not really like, well better to say, there are quite a few things i like but all the others not. Where is the complexety of the game gone? the techtree is slim enough to border to anexiocy, the ai is plain stupid, city states which are quite a nice idea generelly, are far to powerful in thier bonuses, or far to weak(military ones in comparison to the others), no relegions, diplomacy is rather ... itchy and so on. Combat, yeah thats quite a shining, nicely done, though its quite strange you can fire arrows and bolts over distances of several kilometers/miles, while guns and tankcannons only work at meleeranges

illarion
Sep 29, 2010, 07:05 AM
For the love of God, show the diplomatic modifiers, assuming they actually exist under the hood...

Liambane
Sep 29, 2010, 07:15 AM

Holy Words!

Civ V with religions, spionage, Civ IV diplomacy and so on... :goodjob:

R0GERSHRUBBER
Sep 29, 2010, 12:00 PM
I think 1UPT would be great for FFH. I'd rather Kael and the team were able to make a standalone game, but I'd settle for another Civ mod.

I'd like to see Rhys updated for Civ V as well, although 1UPT may not work. I loved tackling the Unique Historical Victory conditions.

I would also like to see historical scenarios (e.g. WW2) that show off the Civ V combat system.

I would like to see more strategic resources (copper, natural gas, sulphur, rare earth metals, etc.) as well as more buildings and units that require strategic resources. I like the decision between using a resource for a building or a military unit (e.g. uranium) and think that should be more common.

I would like to see advanced units that require multiple resources (e.g. oil and aluminum for modern armor) or can be build with different resources (e.g. oil OR uranium for submarines), although the latter may be difficult to implement. Also, I would prefer for old strategic resources to NOT be irrelevant once you leave an era.

I would like to see more passive benefits given by technology (e.g. +1 hammer to lumbermills).

I would like to see religions implemented, possibly as exclusive social policy trees.

Edit: Bring back diplomacy modifiers! Without them you have essentially no sense of who likes you.

Hyspasist
Sep 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
If not already mentioned, a classic era mod would be nice.

Would love to play out a game of Civilization without the game ever advancing on to the Medieval era. Cut off all the techs that lead out of the Classical era and then expand it to encompass that which made up the Classical period and expand the unit list to add individual flavor for each of the civilizations that would inhabit the mod.

Something similar to the Alexander mod we saw in Civ4, except grander.

Cryopyre
Sep 29, 2010, 10:21 PM
civics mod

I'd love to make it myself, but I'm confused about where to begin, no programming experience. I'm trying to rectify this now, but any experienced guidance would be appreciated.

Mercury Knight
Sep 30, 2010, 01:36 AM
Real Epic! Seriously, aside from FFH that was my favorite mod for 4, by far. Civ 5 retains the ancient problem of the eras sweeping by too quickly. Real Epic was a fantastic mod. And especially with the new combat and such, I'd really like the time to sit and experiment with large-scale wars. It shouldn't be too complex a mod. Just drastically increase the number of Beakers needed for techs and Culture Points needed for policies, then up the turn limit, so we can enjoy war in the other eras more.

Also, a way to cap the tech tree. I always wondered, why can we choose to start further up on the tech tree, but not end earlier? It'd be cool to have a game that becomes stuck in, say, the Mideval era.

Fanghorn
Sep 30, 2010, 02:10 AM
I request Total Conversions if modding is really that easy :P. Also id like to have more moseouver infos on tiles, like Defense ratings (those might need some tweaking too). New and more interesting Civic choices would be nice. The current are good but there is much room for improvement (and anachronistic (sur)realism).

Btw, i like the One Unit per Tile. *gathers the Pretzels and puts the Armchair-Commanders-Cap on*

P.S.: Quick Combat option should be in Game options not on map creation advanced menu.

mattavich
Sep 30, 2010, 10:07 AM
Requesting better AI mod most of all :)

Opera
Sep 30, 2010, 10:12 AM
Until we get our hands on DLL modding, major mods (ie, new mechanics mods) are out of the question. Or maybe with some Lua magic ;)

delez
Sep 30, 2010, 10:23 AM
soryy for the silly question:
someone imagine when will be released a mod like Rise of mankind for civ V?
thanks

zappara
Sep 30, 2010, 10:47 AM
soryy for the silly question:
someone imagine when will be released a mod like Rise of mankind for civ V?
thanksWhen it's ready. ;) Don't expect it to be released any time soon, as we're just taking our first steps with Civ 5 modding (lot's of new stuff to learn). Discussion for the mod is here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356780).

The Boz
Sep 30, 2010, 10:54 AM
Can anything be done with resources?
I have finished five games so far, and I have two more in saves, and I am yet to find a single Aluminium deposit inside my often significant borders. I once found one that was on the other side of the world, but I won before I managed to take it. There's got to be something wrong with that particular resource. I often end up with dozens of horses, a ton or iron, two or more oil rigs, but I can't find the thing I need for attack copters and tanks.

Freesmog
Sep 30, 2010, 12:16 PM
I concur with a better AI mod!

2pacalypse
Sep 30, 2010, 12:21 PM
Dont know if anyone requested these yet but heres a few list I think need to be modded:

A)Make invisible units really invisible (Nuclear subs for example cant enter other Civ's territory and incur trespassing penalty in city-states tiles)

B)Bring back the ability to bomb territory improvements with artillery and bomber planes.

C)Bring back Spies. or atleast some land based invisible unit (added with the first mod request) to allow for recon.

D)Improved A.I. I find it baffling that they call me warmonger and bloodthirsty just for defending myself. and also their stupidity at combat.

EDIT:

Another small mod request. is it possible to bring back Leonard Nimoy's voice over to replace the new guys? (And rewrite the tech quotes appropriately)

usmle
Sep 30, 2010, 01:14 PM
Can someone please bring back the old resource icons? In Civ4 collecting all those blue hammers in your city felt GOOD. These strange orange circles just don't compare.

Gicusan
Sep 30, 2010, 03:18 PM
RFRE.

Best mod/scenario ever for civ, especially the civ 3 one. Not that my Pentium 4 and 7600GS can play anything above the standard size map of civ 5 but that will eventually change.

Sorry guys, I am fully aware about the many great mods out there and I have not played an un-mod version of Civ in years but RFRE is the best one for me. Unfortunately, despite the efforts Primordial Stew put into it, such a mod is no one-man-job so the civ 4 version never reached the heights of civ 3 one. So I have strong fears I wont be seeing it in civ 5, especially as this game it is too simple at the first glance for something like that.

MilkmanDan
Sep 30, 2010, 05:20 PM
I like to see strategic resources be not a 1 per unit limit, but 1 per unit building/upgrading in a turn with the exception of oil. Building a swordsman? -1 iron per turn. swordsman done, no iron.

That, or combo where there can be an upfront cost and a maintenance cost. Would be good for oil for plastics, etc upfront and maintenance afterward. Oil with the rapid tech gains feels rather pointless. Aluminum is more important to have in vanilla civ which is completely bonkers.

Even better, would be conditional costs. Moving a tank alot? Extra oil. Healing your swordsman? Extra iron. Bomber on sleep? No oil maintenance.

Above ideas are tough (to implement), but easier would be ability to convert food for horses. Make stables buildable when you have horses, but consume 2 food and give 1 horse resource (or 4 food for 2 horses). So, even if you lose the horse tile/trade you still can have horses in your country after being exposed to them. Then, would make horses as a tile resource relatively rare and expect people to grow their own after coming into contact with them.

Exclave
Sep 30, 2010, 10:04 PM
I would love to see a mod that removes settlers from the game. Kind of like single city challenge, but for all players, not just human. This would definitely increase the value of city-states in a game.

Achilleslastand
Oct 01, 2010, 12:52 AM
How about a mod/map with no city states?

Valkrionn
Oct 01, 2010, 12:58 AM
You can do that easily using the advanced setup menu.

Ricorico94
Oct 01, 2010, 01:33 AM
Hi,

As mentionned above already, terraforming was really fun. In addition to pollution management, it was bringing many needs for workers: changing mountains intohills, valleys, ocean, or ocean into land.. But also replanting forest (ecology...) to add some culture or happiness to population in industrial ages..
Today, once workers have improved every tile, they're useless.. it should not be so.. And the impossibility to cross mountains as per current game is stupid..

One thing I miss is the Genetic Era mod, with the possibility of improving land improvements. BUt also creating sea cities (or undersea cities) linked with underwater tunnels : that was creating a lot of new challenges in modern eras, since the map layout was not anymore a barrier..
Hopefully someone will be able to do something (I could help for some tasks, but my skills remain limited..)

ricorico94

draconman
Oct 01, 2010, 02:12 AM
among other things... i'd like more different ressources - mainly luxury i suppose. Kinda like in sevomod. guess you may say i want it more colourful...

Lettow-Vorbeck
Oct 01, 2010, 03:48 AM
I request this very mod for thousands of people all around the world.

For most of us, the game is way too slow (at least for those who are used to Civilization IV's production and game speed).

What we need is a mod that reduces the city radius by one circle (so leaving two there) and that reduces production/gold costs of units/buildings and science costs of technologies. That way the game will be a lot faster and more fun to play, at least for me. City-states and all other factors, of course, should get converted to this ideology.

The goal is to make Civ V as intensive as Civ IV, but still keeping Civ V's new features, such as combat system, city-states and the rest.

I hope someone gets interested so I don't have to make one myself as a noob modder.

Thank you for reading.

Gavinhawk
Oct 01, 2010, 07:10 AM

I second that wish!

Ethric
Oct 01, 2010, 12:54 PM
Forest and jungle spread, preferrably scaled to how many years pass per turn. Meaning relative fast spread in the beginning, practically nonexistan (natural) spread in the late game.

S.Bezmy
Oct 02, 2010, 05:09 AM
I find it really hard to believe that no one has mentioned a tech era limit mod? :D

I'd like a tech era limit mod, I hate post-medieval warfare, if anyone knows how to do this I'd appreciate any pointers (although I'm not much of a modder at all)... Or if someone made it into a mod that would be great...

cc005340
Oct 02, 2010, 05:38 AM
OK i will try and put some idea's in to the modding community hopefully, ones that are not about balance but about game play. mods that will truely make this game amazing.

The likers of civ 5 tend to back it up with good moddability and inter connected complexity. Now if this is true lets start with one of my old time favorites the great and wonderful Sid Meier's Colonization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Colonization) 1994 by Microprose. This game i beleive had that addictive game play i my self seem to miss in civ 5. If anyone modder out there could copy the exact workings of this orginal game (not Civ4Col) and build a mod for civ 5 i would be very impressed with the developers and the code they have produced.

However maybe that is a bit of over excitement there.... bringing back a basic a hughly missed feature of civ4... the health of your cities and make it worth while building an aqueduct.

As i am a programmer i could do it myself but having the time to do it is the reason why i dont. I will help assist anyone.

One last idea for the modders out there, if by any chance you are reading... remeber Civilization: Call to Power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization:_Call_to_Power) its been some time since i played it but i was sure you could have space ladders and send space ships up and stuff??

Just a thought anyway... main thing is i am not a fan of civ5.... however from some of the posts it seems people are underestimating the ability of civ 5 and it base code. If this is so true and these mods i have mentioned are doable it would wipe the floor clean of my poor judgement of this product so far. :) LONG LIVE CIV!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/Civilizationboxart.jpg

Cannes
Oct 02, 2010, 04:56 PM
Fix the wealth building option to something like 30% hammers -> gold so it is in line with building and disbanding workers. When you have 10 cities that can build a worker every 2-3 turns it gets really tedious.

Make having a REALLY unhappy empire matter. Right now you get the first penalty at -1 and the final penalty at -10. Which allows for the ignore happiness strategy. There should be additional penalties at -20. Something like 50% production and combat effectiveness, and at -30 your units should refuse your orders completely.

Armandeus
Oct 02, 2010, 06:36 PM
Someone please fix the horrible loop-the-loop road intersections.

TheDisco
Oct 03, 2010, 03:12 AM
Bajillions of great ideas will be modded in, I have no doubts. What I really want are the modpack gods to move onto Civ5 and create the modpacks which combine the best of the best mods balanced with their own ideas. I loved RoM2 in Civ4 which really included many of the best mods and UI improvements in my opinion

donschmiddy
Oct 03, 2010, 03:53 AM
okay i have several ideas:

-cultural borders (the should no longer be static, except for city states)

-religions (we all know they have been taken out for the sake of finishing the game in time)

-more buildings (maybe not as much as in ROM but i really miss some of them)

-more ressources (clay, chopper, fur, pick whatever you want)

-more and weakend (!) wonders! (seriously the wonders are way to strong)

-a kinda revolution component, civilizations can break apart, (revolution) seek independence (founding a new city state)

-tech diffusion (city states have only little research but they will gain research through the other civs)

-(an alternative way for wonders, city states can build them too, and you will gain the adventages of the wonder by being their friend and ally)

-a specialist which produces food (and buildings for this person)

-buildings which will make building wealth more efficient

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 11:37 AM
okay i have several ideas:

-cultural borders (the should no longer be static, except for city states)

-religions (we all know they have been taken out for the sake of finishing the game in time)

-more buildings (maybe not as much as in ROM but i really miss some of them)

-more ressources (clay, chopper, fur, pick whatever you want)

-more and weakend (!) wonders! (seriously the wonders are way to strong)

-a kinda revolution component, civilizations can break apart, (revolution) seek independence (founding a new city state)

-tech diffusion (city states have only little research but they will gain research through the other civs)

-(an alternative way for wonders, city states can build them too, and you will gain the adventages of the wonder by being their friend and ally)

-a specialist which produces food (and buildings for this person)

-buildings which will make building wealth more efficient

Your comment on religions is blatantly false. :p

They were removed very early on, because religions in civ4 suck. They really do. It's only in the mods that they became important.

DutchJunkie
Oct 03, 2010, 12:47 PM
Of course I would like to see a Warhammer mod!!! :D

as good as the CIV III one .. I played that too much. I'm willing to contribute. I'm very well known in the warhammer lore, got many literature lying around and I'm also willing to learn some modding, if teachers are there :king:

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 12:50 PM
I don't know that that will happen.

Let's put it this way: Games Workshop is very sensitive about it's IPs. Given that the mod would be distributed in the game, I find it HIGHLY probable that they would send a Cease and Desist notice to the author.

donschmiddy
Oct 03, 2010, 03:22 PM
@valkrionn (or whatever) mh i am not much of a modder of for that matter anything which includes IT but there are several links to religions in the game...

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 03:24 PM
@valkrionn (or whatever) mh i am not much of a modder of for that matter anything which includes IT but there are several links to religions in the game...

Yes, because the game is built off of civ4 files. There are several obsolete files which will be cleaned out of the game in patches.

That does not change the fact that religion was removed very early on in development, not simply to release on time. ;)

jimkirk
Oct 03, 2010, 06:04 PM
something of the order or magnitude like rhes of civilization and fall from heaven and double your pleasure or any other total conversion

jimkirk
Oct 03, 2010, 06:05 PM

Let's put it this way: Games Workshop is very sensitive about it's IPs. Given that the mod would be distributed in the game, I find it HIGHLY probable that they would send a Cease and Desist notice to the author.

there was a warhammer for civ 3 total conversion i dont think they got a cease and desist

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 06:25 PM
Yes there was. However, that mod was not distributed in game, which brings a much larger audience and attention by more people (possibly including Games Workshop).

Aussie_Lurker
Oct 03, 2010, 06:57 PM
Yes, because the game is built off of civ4 files. There are several obsolete files which will be cleaned out of the game in patches.

That does not change the fact that religion was removed very early on in development, not simply to release on time. ;)

Trust me, as someone who has done a *lot* of work with religion in Civ4, I can assure you that some of the files in Civ5 were *never* in Civ4. That means they clearly had some plan to add religion to the game-but scrapped it at some point early in development. I also don't believe that they'll remove those files in patches, because I believe it would be against their philosophy of increasing flexibility for the modding community.

Aussie.

bdict
Oct 03, 2010, 07:02 PM
Would someone please put out a mod that cuts promotions in half? Currently its too easy to abuse this vs AI and leads to having 1-2 armies filled with super units that the AI just gets meat grinded attacking it.

I know how to change the values in the unitpromotions.xlm or whatever, but when i do that they dont seem to change value ingame on the tooltips etc. So either they are having no effect or i also need to update tooltips and such and i dont know how to do that.

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 07:16 PM
Trust me, as someone who has done a *lot* of work with religion in Civ4, I can assure you that some of the files in Civ5 were *never* in Civ4. That means they clearly had some plan to add religion to the game-but scrapped it at some point early in development. I also don't believe that they'll remove those files in patches, because I believe it would be against their philosophy of increasing flexibility for the modding community.

Aussie.

You realize I was one of the testers? What files specifically are you talking about? Social Policies? Converted from Civics. Other files will have the same thing.

If there ever was a plan for religion, it was scrapped so early in development that I was not yet a tester. I have never heard of even plans for religion, nor seen it in the beta forum. It was removed at the very beginning of development.

And if the files do absolutely nothing, and have nothing using them in the DLL, why not remove them? An example would be CultureLevels... Culture functions entirely differently in Civ5, it's not particularly useful.

Better, of course, would be cleaning up tags that have no effect, such as the aforementioned religion tags in SocialPolicies.

Aussie_Lurker
Oct 03, 2010, 07:32 PM
You realize I was one of the testers? What files specifically are you talking about? Social Policies? Converted from Civics. Other files will have the same thing.

If there ever was a plan for religion, it was scrapped so early in development that I was not yet a tester. I have never heard of even plans for religion, nor seen it in the beta forum. It was removed at the very beginning of development.

And if the files do absolutely nothing, and have nothing using them in the DLL, why not remove them? An example would be CultureLevels... Culture functions entirely differently in Civ5, it's not particularly useful.

Better, of course, would be cleaning up tags that have no effect, such as the aforementioned religion tags in SocialPolicies.

Just because they have no role to play in the conventional game, they can be a *very* useful tool for modders-because it represents functionality that doesn't need to be created by modders from whole cloth in the SDK. A great example of that is the <FoundsReligion> tag in Civ5Buildings (a tag that didn't exist in Civ4). As someone who'd like to eventually port his True Prophets Mod to Civ5, that is *good* to know, & I'd be mega pissed if they removed it.

Aussie.

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 07:42 PM
Just because they have no role to play in the conventional game, they can be a *very* useful tool for modders-because it represents functionality that doesn't need to be created by modders from whole cloth in the SDK. A great example of that is the <FoundsReligion> tag in Civ5Buildings (a tag that didn't exist in Civ4). As someone who'd like to eventually port his True Prophets Mod to Civ5, that is *good* to know, & I'd be mega pissed if they removed it.

Aussie.

Meh. Tags like that are incredibly simple to implement; They have no code behind them (or at least shouldn't, given that religion is not in the game whatsoever), so it's what, 5 minutes of C++ to recreate? I'd far rather have tags of that nature removed, along with whatever memory upkeep they require. Sure, it may be minor... But if there are enough such tags, it may well have an effect on performance.

I guess my point is: Tags like what you mention take next to no effort to add, and have a memory cost. If they are not used in the base game, I see no reason for it to pay that memory cost.

I also think porting religions to Civ5 in the same form is fallacy. I have my own plans for religions, but it uses existing game mechanics and does NOT recreate the old version, along with the issues associated with it.

Elt
Oct 03, 2010, 07:49 PM
What I miss the most from Civ 4, actually, is privateers. Being able to attack without declaring war, blockade seaports, etc, was great fun. I'd always put off the tech that made them obselete as long as possible, and have a fleet of them I'd save in reserve and never upgrade, just for that ability.

So yeah, some kind of new unit with privateer abilities. Hopefully that doesn't only last for one limited era. Pirates still exist in modern times! They just have automatic weapons and RPG's now.

Supercheese
Oct 03, 2010, 07:54 PM
Pirates still exist in modern times! They just have automatic weapons and RPG's now.

And they get annihilated by any competent, modern navy a lot easier... ;)

Elt
Oct 03, 2010, 08:00 PM
True! The modern privateer shouldn't be particularly strong. They're a tool for harassment, not warfare.

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 08:01 PM
Yeah.... The Somalian ship that tried to attack a US Navy ship comes to mind there....

Aussie_Lurker
Oct 03, 2010, 08:29 PM
Meh. Tags like that are incredibly simple to implement; They have no code behind them (or at least shouldn't, given that religion is not in the game whatsoever), so it's what, 5 minutes of C++ to recreate? I'd far rather have tags of that nature removed, along with whatever memory upkeep they require. Sure, it may be minor... But if there are enough such tags, it may well have an effect on performance.

I guess my point is: Tags like what you mention take next to no effort to add, and have a memory cost. If they are not used in the base game, I see no reason for it to pay that memory cost.

I also think porting religions to Civ5 in the same form is fallacy. I have my own plans for religions, but it uses existing game mechanics and does NOT recreate the old version, along with the issues associated with it.

You'd get a lot further in this world if you weren't so rudely dismissive of other people's points of view. I never said I planned to port Civ4 religion in its current form, but I think that something similar to what we had in Civ4 is entirely do-able in Civ5, & that the issues associated with it were not nearly as big a deal-nor so insurmountable-as the developers want us to believe.

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 08:41 PM
You'd get a lot further in this world if you weren't so rudely dismissive of other people's points of view. I never said I planned to port Civ4 religion in its current form, but I think that something similar to what we had in Civ4 is entirely do-able in Civ5, & that the issues associated with it were not nearly as big a deal-nor so insurmountable-as the developers want us to believe.

I'm not dismissive, actually, and as I said I have my own plans for religions. If I was rude, I apologize.

Here are the issues with religion in Civ4, as I see them:

It has no real effect other than an instant diplomacy switch, in the unmodded game.
All religions are the same. Yes, this changes in mods, but I am not talking mods; The game has to be "PC", so it must have all religions equal. Ergo, boring.
There was a large amount of micro involved in spreading religions; Much of this can be done away with without losing anything.

My own plans involve new social policies, and can be (mostly) implemented now. No diplo effects (though I'd like to add some slight ones eventually, I would not go heavy on them), actual variation between religions and useful effects, and no micro for spreading religions.

Bhruic
Oct 03, 2010, 09:57 PM
And if the files do absolutely nothing, and have nothing using them in the DLL, why not remove them?

I'm sure you were a beta tester. That doesn't mean you had access to the design documents, or their original plans. Looking through the various references to religion in the game, it's pretty obvious that religion was in the game at one point. Maybe not at the point you got to test it. But not only are all the references still in the various XML files, but there are still complete functions dealing with religion in the DLL, and references to those functions in the main executable. No, they don't currently function, but the fact they were there at all indicates that yes, religion was in the game. The function calls aren't simply Civ IV hold-overs, even assuming they re-used Civ IV code that blindly, which is unlikely as well.

With that being said, the fact so many religion related calls are still in the game doesn't mean they were removed to make a release date. I seem to recall an interview fairly early into the press cycle that indicated they weren't going to have religions in, but I don't have a link to it.

Bh

Valkrionn
Oct 03, 2010, 10:07 PM
Actually, much of their plans, yes. Was all discussed extensively.

In any case, if there was anything added for religions it was extremely early in the dev cycle; They were cut early on.

SirCabbage
Oct 04, 2010, 02:44 AM
I dont know if any of these have been requested.. but yeah.

Firstly, id love a reusable water based worker unit. Why? ever since call to power, I have loved the idea of amphibious towns and farms ect... But it is obviously too early to request stuff like that. Instead, I would like to request a worker unit that could build fishing boats, oil rigs, ect WITHOUT disappearing. It gets to the point that I just forget to build work boats since when I do, they just... annoy me.

Other then that, melee chariot units. This may be oldschool, but in civ 1 I LOVED the chariots. Stonger then warriors, weaker then knights and able to Ahem everyone up. When I saw the special "war chariot" unit from one of the civs I WAS hopefull... but it was ranged again. I mean I dont know if they were EVER meant to be for close combat historically. But I do miss them being the tanks of the ancient ages, before knights and wayyy before tanks.

might as well say a few more ideas, who knows someone may want to do it.
Higher level roads, say between roads and railroads. Modern era roads that are faster then normal roads, slower then railroads (without the production boost) but at the same matienance level as normal roads. and higher level railways, such as maglevs, to act as super expensive (3gp/t) FAST routes. They would provide no more then railroads STAT (still 50% production) but would be much faster then railroads.. thus providing motivation to use them mainly over the civ's core routes (rather then to every town like railroads/roads)

An Automate road upgrade for worker units. I dont like to automate as much in civ5 as I did in civ4, but upgrading EVERY ROAD IN MY KINGDOM to railroads is hard and time consuming. Id love a worker mode that ONLY upgrades roads to railroads between towns... saving time without ruining my precious farmlands (so sue me, I dont like trading post spam. Farms look prettier)

A way to turn off barbarian pillaging, once more purely based on my anal desire for a perfect looking civ... I often find myself playing on a much lower difficulty JUST because I dont like my places being pillaged. I know its a gameplay aspect, and it has stratergy... but all im wanting is a way to turn it off. So I can play at a higher difficulty and still keep my beautiful little empires.

thats all for now, just wanted to say a few. I looked into the modding tools but I couldnt work it out.

bruntfca
Oct 04, 2010, 05:27 AM
Please can someone fix the graphics for the absurd "Trading Posts". Firstly it's ridiculous to have tent cities all around your "advanced" civilization;

Secondly I find the graphics make any unit on top of the tile almost invisible not to mention making my eyes bleed. I don't think I'm the only one!

SomethingWitty
Oct 04, 2010, 09:22 AM
I'd like to see a mod that promotes Civ II style expansionism. Some checks against expansion, sure, but turned down from what it is now. Basically, the bigger the empire, the better. Something where one of the main short term objectives is to build more cities in good locations, because it gives you a stronger empire and puts you in better condition for a victory. Where capturing an enemy's cities is actually a reason to go to war, instead of a burden you have to deal with if you do go to war.

Valkrionn
Oct 04, 2010, 09:42 AM
An Automate road upgrade for worker units. I dont like to automate as much in civ5 as I did in civ4, but upgrading EVERY ROAD IN MY KINGDOM to railroads is hard and time consuming. Id love a worker mode that ONLY upgrades roads to railroads between towns... saving time without ruining my precious farmlands (so sue me, I dont like trading post spam. Farms look prettier)

This would definitely be useful.

And I don't spam trading posts either. I spam farms and lumbermills... As do most of the other testers. It's a strategy we all arrived at more or less independently as paying off best in the long run, and we're pretty unanimous about trading post spam being crap. :lol:

I'd like to see a mod that promotes Civ II style expansionism. Some checks against expansion, sure, but turned down from what it is now. Basically, the bigger the empire, the better. Something where one of the main short term objectives is to build more cities in good locations, because it gives you a stronger empire and puts you in better condition for a victory. Where capturing an enemy's cities is actually a reason to go to war, instead of a burden you have to deal with if you do go to war.

What? I thought that is already encouraged? When I start a game, I expand aggressively and pacify my continent as quickly as possible before settling into builder mode. Puts me well above the other civs.

texdionis
Oct 04, 2010, 11:00 AM
A fantasy mod, say FFH3, or anyone just as good :cool:
And a sci-fi mod.
That's all.
:king:

SomethingWitty
Oct 04, 2010, 11:41 AM
What? I thought that is already encouraged? When I start a game, I expand aggressively and pacify my continent as quickly as possible before settling into builder mode. Puts me well above the other civs.

I wouldn't say encouraged, especially on larger maps. There are big hits to happiness. Culture issues. It makes it nearly impossible to build national wonders (probably the biggest penalty to expansion) if you expand regularly.

I understand there are methods to deal with these problems. But it's very consuming and it often makes just as much sense to have a small number of cities. IIRC, in Civ II the only major drawback to expanding to quickly was the problem of having a strong enough military to defend every city. Continents quickly filled up, and then it became a game of who could conquer each other's cities.

DutchJunkie
Oct 04, 2010, 01:08 PM

then I have only one thing to say: let them develop and sell it themselves. I'll buy it! :rolleyes:

They can contact me for a job in development; I've only got project management skills in IT though, but I learn fast :cool:

Gwydion62
Oct 04, 2010, 02:49 PM
Hi,

would be great to get Rise of Mankind in Civ V :-)

regards

TimK84
Oct 04, 2010, 06:46 PM
I’m not certain if this could be done at all; But I’d like some help exploring the potential of a mod/expansion which I laid some groundwork thoughts for;

Proposed Civilization V Expansion – “Hammer & Cross”

Additions of
Religions
Corporations

Expansions on existing gameplay elements
Expanded Diplomatic options
Further Civ-specific abilities based on historical strengths
Finer control of Empire Economy
Additional worker abilities
Additional Military abilities (minor)
Retooled Happiness & Anger
Recalculated Science & Production

The rationale behind “Hammer & Cross”

Civilization V is a completely worthy follow up to Civilization IV. Firaxis truly learned from Civilization IV and Revolutions. The smooth user interface, strong graphics engine, easy to understand and manipulate controls and good gameplay make Civilization V a pleasure to play.

That being said, Civilization V is ripe for certain additions. Concepts such as Economic controls, Religions, Corporations and more in-depth Diplomacy are lacking or nonexistent. So for the moment it is up to the community to work these ideas and others into the game while preserving the spirit of the game Firaxis has presented us.

I. Happiness & Anger

Previously in Civilization;

Happiness & Anger has existed in Civilization series, but the first major shift was between Civilization III & Civilization IV. The transition from a simple Happy/Rioting to a Happy/Protest but only by the unhappy citizen was a major shift away from unnecessary micromanagement. The Imperial happiness level in Civilization V is a logical extension of that.

I don't propose to radically retool Happiness/Anger with the exception of integrating Religions into the game and some minor tweaking to allow for larger empires on larger maps (while trying to avoid making ICS too easy). Religion will simultaneously generate Happiness & Anger depending on the situation. This allows for the player to take control of the situation and open some new strategies while not forcing the player into an undue level of micromanagement.

I'll post this as i finish typing it.

Cilpot
Oct 05, 2010, 08:48 AM
Fall From Heaven 3 or, if that's out of the question, any medieval fantasy type mod.

Starblazer
Oct 05, 2010, 01:04 PM
Some ideas for a Civ V MOD

Insertion of Religion aspects
Improve of graphics aspect (I think the general color environment, is quite dull (monocromatic!!))
More terraforming capabilities of worker (for example, level an hill or build a channel)
Better diplomacy exchange (for exemple MAPS sharing)
Ships can use Fort as a channel or base
Limit of 4 units per exagon (1 unit is as a battalion / 4 unit as brigade)
Improve and ampliate tech tree, in particular in middle and modern era
In the exagon where was a battle, you have damage of the improvement
More units tipe, in particular ships and air unit type.
Introduction of Piratery and Terrorism unit
Introduction of modern era Nation (Example Italian and NOT Rome)

That's all at the moment
It should be nice if one day it will be available

R0GERSHRUBBER
Oct 05, 2010, 01:20 PM
I find it incredibly annoying when I get an absurd request from another civ at the beginning of every turn, asking for money or a pact. It would be nice if instead of immediately stealing focus, these messages were just queued and ignorable like other notifications.

On a related note, it would also be nice to be able to ignore certain civs in much the same way that they can refuse to discuss peace when they're at war.

MilkmanDan
Oct 05, 2010, 03:44 PM
Some ideas for a Civ V MOD
Limit of 4 units per exagon (1 unit is as a battalion / 4 unit as brigade)

Already easily done though much of the game does not work as expected:

<GameData>
<Defines>
<Update>
<Where Name="PLOT_UNIT_LIMIT"/>
<Set Value="4"/>
</Update>
</Defines>
</GameData>

I'm running with 2 and it's fine. Reduces the traffic jams without bringing back the SoD. Otherwise, there's LOTS of places that the game does not handle stacked units well and the interface is problematic (no way to select multiple units, picking unit under top, limit to 1 purchase per city, etc)

Zogar
Oct 06, 2010, 09:32 AM
Good to know it's easy to change the limit. I don't know if it has already been proposed /done , but it would be great to have a mod which allows multiple units / tiles and changes the UI accordingly.

Actually all the game mechanics should be revised to allow stacking, and add the following option (and any other option players would like to have) : one defender unit for a stack with collateral damage for every unit in the stack (the % of collateral damage should be tunable).

Is this possible to do at the moment ? Or should we wait for the code source ?

Silvis
Oct 06, 2010, 03:44 PM
I bought Civilization 5 because of the FFH, FFH2, Fall Further, and RiFe mods. Can't get a 100% that there is indeed another mod in the works by their team and no where to monitor or give input on what would help the game. If there isn't one... Bring it Back Please!

The Rusty Gamer
Oct 06, 2010, 06:19 PM
I'd like to see a Mod where range attacks are initially limited to 1. Later they go to 2 and maybe way further on they go to 3.

Can been done via policy, techs, unit promotions, certain buildings etc.

BlackZiggerat
Oct 06, 2010, 06:31 PM
I'd like to see a simple mod where unit creation costs food. Every turn a unit is being built costs the city 1 food. Whether it be settler or tank unit. Remember, it's not just the hardware that is being built, but the training to use it. And a unit is not just a band of soldiers, but a larger group of support staff as well.
This drain on food should be separate from the total food absorption that comes with building a settler. It should happen first, then the total remaining food reallocation. And in several cases, this will cause food supplies to dwindle. In some cases, this would cause a city to drop in population. Totally understandable, without resorting to thinking of starvation. After all, a unit is the soldiers, and the people who support them. The extra effort of training mobile, independent groups stressing a community. Birth rates go down, mortality rates go up. It's all a part of the system. The game just makes no room for this.

Darkrai360
Oct 06, 2010, 06:35 PM
There is a range of mods I would like to see.
I would like to see a revolution mod. It would be neat if at a time you choose, you could change your social policies around with the cost of a revolution (like Civ4).
It would also be neat if the actual people of your empire made a difference. It would be cool if there was like a "Dynasty" mod that could somehow incorporate the leader of your country at the moment into your empire and change it for good or bad. It may also be neat if your people could become so unhappy with a social policy you have imposed, that they could create a revolution.
I'm not sure if this is already in the game or not, but I would like to be able to name my units. Perhaps after a promotion. To kind of personalize them, I suppose.
I hope a Religion mod also surfaces. Of course, Religion shouldn't have the incredible effect it had on foreign relations like it did in Civ4. But I simply enjoyed being the first to discover Judaism or Islam and spreading it around.
Espionage should be reintroduced, but reworked. I didn't like the espionage that much in Civ4 but would like some form of it in the game just for accuracies sake.
I am not a modder, nor do I know if these are actually possible to do, but they're just thoughts.

BlackZiggerat
Oct 06, 2010, 06:42 PM
Rusty Gamer

Right ON!

I've been thinking the same thing. And I'm skeptical that archers could EVER send arrows even 2 tiles away, let alone 3 or more, but cannon rounds, howitzers, and mortars...

_random_
Oct 06, 2010, 06:54 PM
I thought of a really cool idea for a sci-fi mod today, but it would require tons of work and I have no experience in modding. If anybody could be interested in giving me some menial labor to teach me the brakes or would potentially interested in collaborating, PM me.

Chiyochan
Oct 06, 2010, 07:47 PM
Working on a Mod that requires unlimited city states.
Need someone to crack the limit for me.

Psykoyul
Oct 07, 2010, 03:15 AM
One more voice for FFH.

With the 1UPT concept i'm sure this will be awesome!

usmle
Oct 07, 2010, 05:04 AM
I would like to see a mod that brings back cottages and gets rid of trading posts.

Chiyochan
Oct 07, 2010, 10:02 AM
I would like to see a mod that brings back cottages and gets rid of trading posts.
Graphically, trading posts will remain the same, but the yield mod I'm working on makes them grow with technology levels. not quite the same as working them though.

Saxif
Oct 07, 2010, 01:13 PM
Warhammer 40K or Fantasy Battle mod, there was a hex based game out about 10-15 years ago, where the players comanded Eldar units and fought against first space marines, then tyranids iirc. I think the hex based Civ V combat system with 1 unit per tile is the most modable aspect of this game and could give some great combat mods.

If people have trouble with AI tactics you could have a zerg vs a player, lots of weaker units designed to wear down a player. The longer you stay alive the tougher the enemy becomes until overwhelmed! Also Elven Legacy is a hex based single unit combat game, Civ V could be that game and much much more!!

Sax.

The Rusty Gamer
Oct 07, 2010, 08:03 PM
A mod that could turn a barbarian city into a city state over time if left unchecked. As a colloary, city states that are dynamically created during the game and not all just at the beginning. Perhaps the option that if a city state is annexed, that another may rise somewhere else.

In terms of stacking, I know that there is a mod which allows this but I was thinking more in terms of allowing progessively bigger stacks. In the beginning, no stacks (as the standard game) which is really a stack limit of 1, but through techs, buildings, wonders, policy etc, stack limit is slowly increased.

wolfman1234
Oct 08, 2010, 04:17 AM
A Forgotten Realms or Faerun mod. I allways have missed that in civ.

CreepyD
Oct 08, 2010, 06:33 AM
I would love to see FFH too, it's all I played in Civ4 and it would be even more awesome in civ5.
I heard they are making their own standalone FFH game though, so not sure we'll see it happen.
Other than that, anything 'out there' really. Sci-fi or fantasy. I guess mods like this will take a while to appear.
I'd also love to see the return of layered maps that I've seen a few people mention, although I think it's unlikely.

Qumi
Oct 08, 2010, 06:37 AM
Definitely FFH :) Also other fantasy mods, using either Warhammer or Forgotten Realms ;)

Saxif
Oct 08, 2010, 11:28 AM
I'd like a Realms mod also, maybe a static map of the Savage Frontier or the Dales. You could take control of different states (most of the realms is based around city states or small empires) and have to complete different conditions to win.

Sax.

chipbuffalo
Oct 08, 2010, 11:44 AM
Is there anyone doing anything with the terrible road/railroad graphics?

LDiCesare
Oct 08, 2010, 03:05 PM
I'd like a mod which removes the city states' lack of ai and removes their behaving differently from real civs, except that they wouldn't expand.
Otherwise put, I don't want maritime, cultural, military city states. I want civs that are playing OCC with which I can trade and conduct diplomacy the same I would with other civs.

The Rusty Gamer
Oct 08, 2010, 03:29 PM
An option for a random number of city states, and dynamically being created or disappearing during the game. Like I said, possibly spawned from Barbarian cities over time.

Doomwyte
Oct 08, 2010, 08:12 PM
A mod about Napoleon:please::please:.

IgnatiusTBarfat
Oct 09, 2010, 10:02 AM
FFH3!

This.

welpe
Oct 09, 2010, 10:04 AM
FFH3!

this would be so great :)

The Mad Russian
Oct 09, 2010, 03:52 PM
Please, just a mod where all the Tech is already researched, including the Future Era

mo123567
Oct 09, 2010, 06:10 PM
I would like a mod where future tech gives you more than just points. I have always hated reaching future tech and just watching helplessly as my technology advantage just melts away. Also, my empire continues to grow and I have no new ways to deal with the expenses and happiness.

I would like to see each time future tech is researched give you a choice from the following list:
- add 1 gold to each city
- add 1 production to each city
- add 1 culture to each city
- add 1 food to each city
- add 1 science to each city
- add 1 happiness to each city
- (x) promotion automatically given to all units that have access to it including units built in the future. This would be best if it could use the promotion tree so the promos have to be selected in order. This would allow your advanced technology to make your units more powerful than another civ who has not researched any future tech but has the same units as you.

If I could do this by just using XML I would, but I think this would require LUA and someone with programming knowledge if it is even possible at all.

SilverFly
Oct 10, 2010, 06:33 AM
i would like to see some more political option, and aa mod to do something about the ugly road connection, knwo when you want to create a t-split or inner section. the look wierd now.

ow and city graphic's are horrible

as suggest above:

i want religion back and please please come with more tile improvements, and border expansion is a good idea but aleast grow with 2 tile at a time instead of 1 tile.

kgoodrid
Oct 10, 2010, 10:07 PM
I would like to see a mod that helps balance gamespeed with AI and tech progress. The AI is weak, and sadly the higher difficulty levels don't really make it any tougher, they just give insane bonuses, which isn't fun to me and doesn't provide a fair challenge.

I just started a Marathon game, using the Economy and Pace mods to slow down tech progression. Starting techs would take me over 50 turns...great! Less than 20 turns in, and I got a 'Most Literate People' pop-up...I am on the bottom since I haven't gotten a tech yet. The top civs have 5 techs. 5! Everyone else has 3-4.

Really kills the fun of a Marathon game. What is the point in having more time with my cool UUs if the enemy has units that are an era ahead already?

Really tragic that Firaxis created such a pitiful AI and had to rely on bonuses so much. You would think that the 5th version (in the main series) of the game would be about refining and improving.

So yes, I would vote for a mod that allows for longer, slower gameplay without making the AI have insane tech bonuses...as much as I hate any AI bonus beyond smarts, I can handle production and development bonuses...but tech just kills the entire point of a slower game.

Alyosha
Oct 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
How about someone just makes Civ 4, but with the lovely new graphics, city states, 1 UPT and hexes? I'm sure it would be quite popular, heh. :)

Fastjack
Oct 11, 2010, 08:03 PM
A mod that allows players and AI to pick their civilization after game start. With the addition of such specialized abilities, you inevitably run into situations where a civ is put in a very unlikely spot. E.g. Iroquois starting in the desert, England beginning landlocked, etc. Maybe integrated into a prehistoric mod so extremely early UUs won't be missed.

R0GERSHRUBBER
Oct 12, 2010, 12:50 PM
How about an update to the uranium resource graphics to make uranium brownish-yellow and not glowing. The glowing green rocks really kill me and perpetuates a myth about uranium/radioactivity.

Dlorn
Oct 12, 2010, 04:35 PM
I'd love a mod to make planes far more useful.

- Bombers and especially stealth bombers should do far more damage to cities, at least as much as artillery and rocket artillery. Bombers should also do far more damage to non armored units.

- Planes should be able to heal while based in a city, rather than only on carriers.

- Non anti aircraft units shouldn't be able to damage planes during attack runs, the fact that my crossbow men can safely attack a squadron of riflemen but my jet plane cannot is insane.

- Anti aircraft units should do far more damage to planes, AA guns should basically one shot fighters and bombers, mobile SAMs should basically one shot jet fighters and stealth bombers.

- Sweep actions shouldn't take damage for sweeping, they're already using their entire action to negate a single AA unit, that's a harsh enough penalty.

- Planes that do enough damage to kill a city should be given the option to raze it (not capture it)

- Plane sight range should = their attack range

- AI needs encouragement to build air units. I've never seen the AI build any air unit other than guided missiles.

pauluslupus
Oct 13, 2010, 04:21 AM
I wish if there was mod covering 18th century.

spoooq
Oct 13, 2010, 04:31 AM
Is it possible to have units have different stats or bonuses based on their formation. So for example, musketmen in a square would fight better against horses and worse against musketmen in a line formation.

azzedar
Oct 14, 2010, 02:59 AM
dunno if anyone capable is ever going to read this, but id really like to see a maintenance/economy/building based civ added. like a civ trait with -x maintenance for buildings/roads and some hammer or financial bonus giving ub.
searching through the available mods i havent found something that really goes that way yet.

CheeseWalrus
Oct 14, 2010, 06:22 AM
Rfc??

azzedar
Oct 14, 2010, 07:49 AM
"rfc"?

ZanderC
Oct 14, 2010, 08:58 AM
I'd like to see a simple mod where unit creation costs food. Every turn a unit is being built costs the city 1 food. Whether it be settler or tank unit. Remember, it's not just the hardware that is being built, but the training to use it. And a unit is not just a band of soldiers, but a larger group of support staff as well.
This drain on food should be separate from the total food absorption that comes with building a settler. It should happen first, then the total remaining food reallocation. And in several cases, this will cause food supplies to dwindle. In some cases, this would cause a city to drop in population. Totally understandable, without resorting to thinking of starvation. After all, a unit is the soldiers, and the people who support them. The extra effort of training mobile, independent groups stressing a community. Birth rates go down, mortality rates go up. It's all a part of the system. The game just makes no room for this.

You might want to take a look at my mod thread, I'm working on something similar to what you're talking about..

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=391036

guczy
Oct 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
I do not know too much about modding so im not sure if this is possible, but it would be really awesome to have a colony mod. By that i mean that you can build colonies, which dont count as actual cities, don't add to teh culture threshold, cant grow too big can can only build no / only a couple buildings, but would be perfect to snatch resources, like that 2 uranium, near which you really do not wanna build a city just for that. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would like this, some civ had it already (was it Call to Power?).

Supercheese
Oct 14, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of people would like this, some civ had it already (was it Call to Power?).

Don't think it was CtP; methinks CtP was more known for its underwater and space cities. :scan:

The Rusty Gamer
Oct 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Underwater and space cities...now THERE'S a mod!

Jules05
Oct 15, 2010, 04:34 AM
It might be difficult, but would an undo command be possible. I moved so many times the wrong unit :( that it would be a great time saving enhancement. Especially in Civ 5 where reloading times are ridiculously long.
Of course, it would have to take into account the fog of war so it wouldn't be cheating.

phil20
Oct 15, 2010, 07:20 AM
- a mod similar to RFC and/or RFC Europe from about 800 to 1800 AD. An Asia or America map would be awesome too!
- religions
- making economy more complex. corporations maybe.
- Napoleon and WW2 scenario

x210197pure
Oct 15, 2010, 08:47 PM
rhye's fall of civ fro civ5!!!! i want that
riswe n fall of roman empire
something fantasy such as warcraft XD
im asking too mch eh>?

dimmidice
Oct 17, 2010, 06:01 AM
final frontier for civ5 YES PLEASE :D

texdionis
Oct 17, 2010, 07:18 AM
I'm in waiting for fantasy mods and I see in the mod browser of the game that in the fantasy section there is one named "Land of Plenty". The description tells nothing though, and I can't find any in the forums searching this keyword. Still, it's the most downloaded mod so far, where can I find any review of it before downloading??

R0GERSHRUBBER
Oct 17, 2010, 09:17 AM
I would like to see more buildings like the Mint and Monastery which provide bonuses to cities which have several copies of the same resource(s). In general I would prefer a city with different luxury resources, but these buildings are a good consolation for redundant resources.

Supercheese
Oct 17, 2010, 01:42 PM
I would like to see more buildings like the Mint and Monastery which provide bonuses to cities which have several copies of the same resource(s). In general I would prefer a city with different luxury resources, but these buildings are a good consolation for redundant resources.

The Monastery doesn't actually help a city that has more than one of the same kind of resource nearby...

See: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9770454&postcount=339

Valkrionn
Oct 17, 2010, 01:55 PM

As SuperCheese pointed out, it only benefits the city for each different resource nearby. Having multiple wine around a city doesn't do anything for you, sadly.

There is a new building along those lines in my Economy Mod, the Weaver. Requires 1 Sheep, grants culture for Sheep, Wool, Silk, and Dye.

Perkus
Oct 17, 2010, 03:08 PM
I haven't read all 13 pages to see if this has been mentioned, but this is my pet quibble that I'd love to see modded out. There is a really obscure rule in the game where the cost of moving across culture borders is increased to something like a full move or even the rest of your moves despite being on a road. I don't have the exact specific nailed down. I think it may only happen when you're moving into a tile owned by a civ you're at war with. Not if you're at peace. I don't think it happens if you're moving from an unowned tile into an owned one (but it might).

Anyways, I find it extremely obscure and illogical - it doesn't take any extra to move across roads within an enemy empire, so why would crossing the border be any different? If you're already at war, it's not like your artillery stops to have a chat with the immigration dudes... This comes up fairly rarely, but it always messes me up, because it's so unexpected - you run out of moves when you thought you had enough to attack / bombard / whatever. First time I really noticed it, there was a bridge at the border, and at the time I thought it was a special rule for bridges across cultures. But then later I noticed it again and no bridge was involved.

I've read though all the GlobalDefines and all sorts of tables, and haven't seen anything that would cause this behavior so I can nuke it... Please keep an eye out.

The Rusty Gamer
Oct 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
Perkus, The Great Wall wonder slows down other civs within the borders of the civ who has built it. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.