View Full Version : News: TSG1 Announcement

Erkon
Sep 23, 2010, 11:44 AM
Civilization 5 Ė Game of the Month Training Series Game 1
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the first game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=380189). Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: donít replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. Itís better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition once it starts.

In this game you will play as Augustus Caesar and lead Rome to world domination. Itís a small Pangea map played at Warlords difficulty and at standard pace. The preferred victory is Domination, although all victory conditions are enabled. To achieve Domination, you will need to conquer all capitals in the world*. In other words: KILLíEM! KILLíEM ALL!!! :aargh::ar15:

Civ V - TSG1 game settings
Playable Civ: Rome - Augustus Caesar
Map type: Pangaea
Map Size: Small
Difficulty Level: Warlords
Game pace: Standard

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=264876&stc=1&d=1285331422

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (donít be afraid to ask questions). Itís also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please donít post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), and the most important: your path to glory! The first post will be updated with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in afterwards.

Starting save attached. Download to your computer, save under "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\Saves\single", load it from Civ V, and enjoy :goodjob:

* The actual requirement is to be the only civ who controls its original capital.

Erkon
Sep 23, 2010, 11:46 AM
Welcome everybody. This thread is open for you to post any comments or questions regarding the TSG1 game. Once you have started playing, please use the TSG1 Game in Progress thread.

DaviddesJ
Sep 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
Not a complaint, but it would be nice to post a screenshot of the starting position, for those of us who aren't opening the game right away.

Thrallia
Sep 23, 2010, 12:23 PM
sorry, I didn't have time to do anything but create the save earlier. When I get a chance to I will post a screenshot for everyone :)

chopster
Sep 23, 2010, 07:29 PM
My game unlocks tonight, so I'll be pleased to begin playing - I got through about 60 turns of the demo last night and I must say I'm REALLY looking forward to this!

Lanstro
Sep 23, 2010, 07:46 PM
Cool, thanks for organising this, GOTM team.

da_Vinci
Sep 24, 2010, 12:01 AM
Wish me luck trying to be sure I can save it when I need to stop playing ... save functionality has been problematic for some of us (steam cloud and quicksave are all I can do reliably) ... see the bug forum for details. Still, should be good fun.

Note to self ... set autosave to 1 turn ... :lol:

dV

Thrallia
Sep 24, 2010, 12:48 AM
Wish me luck trying to be sure I can save it when I need to stop playing ... save functionality has been problematic for some of us (steam cloud and quicksave are all I can do reliably) ... see the bug forum for details. Still, should be good fun.

Note to self ... set autosave to 1 turn ... :lol:

dV

it is a lot easier to do now! It is part of the in-game menu, rather than a .ini file adjustment.

Majic
Sep 24, 2010, 05:41 AM
but.. I already played this exact setup, won a domination victory. my second game. It was an easy win, AI was alright (or I was lousy) in teching, but didnt build units according to their techs. so I fought spears with my legion, knights and then rifles.

Wished it would have been another leader, dont feel like playing the exact game again. but oh well.. maybe next time..

a space oddity
Sep 24, 2010, 06:53 AM
Majic, you might want to play the game anyway, or at least read the threads to see how others did, all using the same save, and see how the results vary. To me that is one of the unique assets of a GotM game. :)

xxxlambo
Sep 24, 2010, 03:39 PM
How long does the GoTM stay up? I'm still on my first game which I don't want to quit to start another, but if I can't get my act together and start this up before it's finished will the starting save still be around?

LowtherCastle
Sep 24, 2010, 04:11 PM
The save stays up forever. YOu can go find Civ2 GOTM saves if you want.

Xger
Sep 24, 2010, 11:28 PM
I am new to the game of the months (I have made a few half hearted attempts at Civ 3 ones a long while back) and have just completed the first Civ 5 one. I was wondering for Civ 5, where does one save for the victory? Is it a "just one more turn" save post victory? Also, where do I submit it?

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I looked and seemed unable to find it

Erkon
Sep 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
@xxxlambo - Yes, the save stays up forever as LC stated. At least in theory since it's stored as an attachment tied to my forum account. The proper Civ 5 GOTM will be stored on a file server which is much more safer. Bottom line - you will be able to play TSG1 for a long time (as long as Firaxes does not introduce a new save format which is not backward compatible).

@Xger - Welcome! You don't submit for the TSG games, you just write down the date and score in a post over at the After Action Reports thread. We will clarify the procedure once the proper GOTM competition starts. Does this answer your question?

PEACE!
Sep 25, 2010, 12:04 AM
*When u atack a city,never EVAR try to take it with a couple of units,as specially archers

Arduano
Sep 25, 2010, 03:25 AM
Finally released in Europe! Immediately started the TSG1 as my 1st Civ5 game ever! :)

Ribannah
Sep 25, 2010, 10:01 AM
"Runtime Error!"

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

Ribannah
Sep 25, 2010, 10:25 AM
Appears to be a failed download. Playing now. :)

Xger
Sep 25, 2010, 10:44 AM
@Xger - Welcome! You don't submit for the TSG games, you just write down the date and score in a post over at the After Action Reports thread. We will clarify the procedure once the proper GOTM competition starts. Does this answer your question?
Mostly. I noticed for the TSG you guys wanted saves/replays to help build the mod/methods. What should I do to help those?

AlanH
Sep 25, 2010, 12:13 PM
Mostly. I noticed for the TSG you guys wanted saves/replays to help build the mod/methods. What should I do to help those?

Just attach your final save to a post in the After Action Report thread. It might be useful to attach a copy of your Replay file as well, if you can find it. This may help us to work out how to interpret the saves.

Erkon
Sep 25, 2010, 12:29 PM

Once we have setup a Civ5 TSG submission website, we will ask all of you to use it. This will hopefully help us create a smooth, user friendly and efficient submission system. It will also give us a rough idea of the victory dates for various game settings, the score values for the different victory conditions, and the subjective difficulty of the difficulty settings (which levels are easy and which are hard for the majority of the players). Until then we ask you to post your date and score manually, but we don't need the specific saves/replays as such. EDIT: Well, Alan has use for them ^^, so ignore my last statement :lol:

The best way to help us is being active in the Game in Progress thread and the After Action Report thread, telling us what was fun, and what was not-so-fun in the games. If there are certain aspect of Civ 5 that reduces the fun factor, then we will try to provide maps that don't rely on those aspects. Game pace is one such aspect, map size is another, and crowded/sparse maps (AI and City States) another. Perhaps the game starts to lag in the end game, which means we should avoid large maps at high difficulty?

We also need players to voice their opinion of the award system, but we're not there yet.

Saint Rising
Sep 25, 2010, 07:40 PM
For glory! For honor! FOR ROME!

wilson1225
Sep 26, 2010, 10:49 AM
Any chance the next one will be a higher difficulty? After humiliating the AI on king (I'm not that good, only ever beat monarch once in civ 4) the warlord difficulty seems like a waste of time unless you need a quick ego boost.

godotnut
Sep 26, 2010, 07:34 PM
I agree with wilson1225 above. This game is so very much easier than all preceding versions of Civ5. You could probably pick totally random actions the whole game and still win at least a time victory on this setting.

I think most veteran Civ4 players from the previous GOTM series for Civ4 will be able to beat the game on the highest settings on the first try or two.

Because the AI is so utterly incompetent in military, and stacking isn't permitted, at this setting all of the AI can be easily rolled with a few Roman unique units. Just leave your victims as puppet states.

Robert_Marshall
Sep 26, 2010, 09:06 PM
I too started my first game with Romans. :) I did not pick them. It happened to come up randomly. I would say that is good though, not bad. I would likely try to play one with similiar settings to the GOTM anyway. I agree about the AI though. pretty disapointing at Prince. I am definiely going to try this GOTM though.

Melofeign
Sep 27, 2010, 12:35 PM
To those that feel the difficulty is too low, I would do the TSG anyway and see how fast you can abuse the stupid AI. The competition isn't against the computer, it is against the rest of us playing the same game and trying to finish faster, stronger, and with more points =)

I'm looking forward to giving this a whirl!

eldar
Sep 27, 2010, 07:27 PM
I should be getting my copy later in the week. Hopefully I'll find the time to work my way through this game.

ducki
Sep 28, 2010, 06:27 PM
"Runtime Error!"
"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way."

I was having this problem with a save posted elsewhere, and I fixed it in a few easy steps.

1) Exit Steam - don't just click the "X", do Steam -> Exit
2) After a minute or so, restart Steam
3) Right-click the Civ5 entry -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache

I don't know if this is also how you would do it for the versions of Civ5 from other retailers, but it fixed all my problems with loading other people's savegames with my Steam version of the game.

Aside from that, this will be my first CFC game. I played in the Apolyton University Civ3 games back in the day, and am really looking forward to this game.

Lexad
Sep 30, 2010, 03:42 AM
What's a preferred victory?

Erkon
Sep 30, 2010, 04:29 AM
Preferred victory is what we suggest people target. The discussions will thus focus on warfare, although all kind of topics can be brought up.

What's a preferred victory?

FriendlyFire
Sep 30, 2010, 05:15 AM
Will our scores be manually tabulated for the first GOTM game ?

EDIT: Can I get a username change to match my steam name ?

Erkon
Sep 30, 2010, 06:47 AM

Yes, we will collect the results manually for TSG1, and perhaps for a couple more TSGs. The first GOTM (when the actual competition starts) will have a proper submission page where you upload your save, and the scores will be automatically extracted and listed.

As far as I know, you can't change your forum name. EDIT: correct answer by Alan below.

RED1
Sep 30, 2010, 02:57 PM
sorry if this is a dumb question but .... where are the save files? i cant find a save folder to copy the gotm save into.

sorry,- i found it.

chopster
Sep 30, 2010, 05:34 PM
Yes, this is an annoying change with the new format, not being able to load files from any directory (at least not any way I can find).

AlanH
Oct 01, 2010, 03:42 AM

Contact one of the Administrators - ainwood, Padma, Thunderfall ... It will be OK if the name is available, and you will need to add a line to your signature for a period: "Formerly known as FriendlyFire".

adrianj
Oct 01, 2010, 06:23 PM
So... my CivV internet order is on backorder :mad:. I intend that the first ever CivV game I play other than the demo will be this GOTM :)

I couldn't find a closing date in this thread. Is it still a month, ie, October 24th?

Erkon
Oct 02, 2010, 01:37 AM
adrianj - the game will never close, but the results will be collected ~two weeks after the launch.

"The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in afterwards."

chopster
Oct 02, 2010, 02:06 AM
Unfortunately my incomplete game went with my OS reinstall, so I would have to start again with prior knowledge.

For this reason I won't participate until the next TSG, which I look forward to.

rmc1977
Oct 02, 2010, 10:39 AM
I think I will give this a try. After failing miserably in my first attempt at the HOF game, mainly due to a bad start location and my own stubborness in refusing to expand, I think bashing some skulls in a domination victory is just what I need.

S.K. Ren
Oct 04, 2010, 11:04 AM
Alright, lets get crackin'. Whats better is Rome's UU replaces Swordsmen :) Super Shield Wall baby!

Sarassin
Oct 04, 2010, 12:18 PM
This thread has been posted on Sep 23, 2010, but when exactly is the deadline for scores / replays?

Thrallia
Oct 04, 2010, 12:40 PM
We're keeping this particular game open for 2 weeks, so I believe we will close the actual competition for this game at the end of the day on October 7th(server time, since we are all in different areas of the world). Don't worry though, we'll be opening the second game in the Training Series soon afterward.

Additionally, you are welcome to continue playing the TSG1 save afterward and participating in the discussions, you just won't be considered for the 'awards' that we'll give out for the top games in this first game.

Xicivilian
Oct 05, 2010, 05:57 PM
How do you make a screenshot? My Print Screen does not work...
Or at least, when I paste the shot, I get a black picture (in paint or word).

da_Vinci
Oct 05, 2010, 06:03 PM

Civ 5 is saving them in your screenshots folder under my documents\my games\firaxisgames\civ5 or something like that. But it saves them as .tga files, which paint won't read. (Some have also gotten black screens for the first several screenshots but ok later) Pasting the clipboard after print screen into paint gave me the same black pictures.

To read the .tga, go online to http://www.irfanview.com/ and download and install the viewer. Use it like paint to open the .tga files, and convert them to something smaller (on my box, .tga is 8 MB each in size :eek:)

dV

leif erikson
Oct 05, 2010, 10:16 PM
I went through this this morning. As dV says, IrFanview.

When I hit the "Print Screen" key, it actually saves a copy of the screen in "My Documents > My Games > Sid Meier's Civilization 5 > ScreenShots" Looking in the folder, you should see files named Civ5Screen000, Civ5Screen0001, etc.

I couldn't get them into Paint either so I went looking and found IrFanview, a free download, and it took care of everything for me. It reads and edits .tga files and converts them into .jpg. Highly recommend it. :)

chopster
Oct 06, 2010, 01:27 AM
Also for reference Irfanview can be set to do a batch conversion of files, so you don't have to do every one manually.

It's in the file menu - File - Batch Conversion / Rename.

Then there are a couple of dialogue boxes to work through - it may seem tedious at first, but if you set it up the first time you can simply do heaps of files at a later date with a few clicks.

Alraun
Oct 13, 2010, 12:15 PM
We're keeping this particular game open for 2 weeks, so I believe we will close the actual competition for this game at the end of the day on October 7th(server time, since we are all in different areas of the world). Don't worry though, we'll be opening the second game in the Training Series soon afterward.

Additionally, you are welcome to continue playing the TSG1 save afterward and participating in the discussions, you just won't be considered for the 'awards' that we'll give out for the top games in this first game.

Wait, what? I assumed a Game of the Month would last a month and was just about to get around to playing it. :(

leif erikson
Oct 13, 2010, 12:29 PM
Wait, what? I assumed a Game of the Month would last a month and was just about to get around to playing it. :(
We are currently running a training series for Civ5 as we do not have the submission system nor security mod in place to run actual competitions.

This is AlanH's response to a similar question:
This is not the real thing. It's just practice. Once we have worked out the mechanics of submissions, scoring, ranking etc. we'll probably set up a monthly competition. But for now you are hopefully learning a few things for yourselves, and helping us to work out what this game can do, and having some fun.

In any case, "Game of the Month" shouldn't be taken too literally. It is a brand that we use to cover a variety of competitions. We have a Civ4 Succession GOTM that has been known to run for six months in the past, and the current game is scheduled to run for three months, until December.

Please note this post as well. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9617951&postcount=1) It explains what we hope to do here.

Alraun
Oct 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, it's not a big deal, just a little surprising and disappointing. Gonna play it and post it anyway.

leif erikson
Oct 13, 2010, 07:14 PM
Yeah, it's not a big deal, just a little surprising and disappointing. Gonna play it and post it anyway.
Good Luck! :thumbsup:

omnivore
Nov 14, 2012, 04:01 PM
I just rediscovered this forum. I'm going to play through all of these, but with the expansion and different maps out of necessity.

leif erikson
Nov 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Best of luck in your quest. :thumbsup: