View Full Version : Best Balanced Time/Production/Research Speeds?

Bleser
Sep 28, 2010, 06:59 AM
Hello all!

So I completed my first game yesterday (domination victory, standard map, Prince), and feel the setup was unbalanced with respect to research speed and production rates. So much so that I would usually out-research my units before they rolled off the assembly line.

So what have we discovered is the most balanced game speed? Epic? Marathon? At standard speed I was researching every tech in 3-8 turns; way too fast.

I also felt I won fairly easily (never really felt threatened - only lost one city the whole game when the entire continent was at war with me). I was an Emperor Civ IV player and usually won at that level. Should I jump straight to Emperor or maybe try King next? :king:

homegrown
Sep 28, 2010, 07:49 AM
You should increase the difficulty level you are playing on. See how awesome you are?

And yes, I'm completely stoned and didn't realize that's what you're asking.
Try King first.

Becephalus
Sep 28, 2010, 11:28 AM
I found even on Epic the tech goes a little too fast for my taste, particularly in the late game. I have been playing Emporer/Epic and I like the pacing up unit around Gunpowder, when things seem to get a bit rushed (I have gone from a longswordmen army to a mech inf army seemingly very quickly (despite having had a spear/horsemen army for a hundred turns).

I think the tech costs should ramp up a bit faster at the end and some key points early on.