View Full Version : Shiggs Earth

Shiggs713
Sep 29, 2010, 06:44 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238/Shiggs713/earth.jpg

This is a huge Earth map with 17 civilizations to choose from and 23 City States, including 13 new city states I created just for this mod.

New World
Civilizations: America, Aztecs, and Iroquois
City States: Rio de Janeiro, Tikal, and Cuzco

Europe
Civilizations: England, France, Germany, Rome, Ottomans, and Russia
City States: Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Lisboa, Athens, and Madrid

Africa
Civilizations: Egypt and Songhai
City States: Cape Town, Dar es Salaam, Kinshasa, and Aksum

Asia
Civilizations: Arabia, Persia, India, Siam, Japan and China.
City States: Singapore, Seoul, Lhasa, Almaty, Bandar Seri Bagawan, Sidon, and Karakorum

Australia and New Zealand
City States: Sydney and Auckland

Greece is not in because they would be imposing too much on the Romans and the Ottomans. I have added the city-state of Athens to replace them for the final version, but I have created another version to try and appease everybody.

The map is based off of Dale's Huge TSL Earth map. Most of the terrain is the same, but there have been some updates in key areas. All the resources are hand placed for strategic balance. There should be quite enough resources for everyone to get their hands on everything eventually. Some resources are sparser then others, and quite a few of them can only be found in certain regions of the world. I believe this will stimulate both trade and war and make for a better game.

Most recent is version 6.
This will likely not be updated again barring any problems

TO DOWNLOAD:
Go to the mod hub, download, install, and use it just like any other mod. To play you will have to select Shiggs Earth as your map once the Shiggs Earth mod is enabled. It is Huge size only, you can adjust the difficulty and speed settings but that is all. All victories are enabled except Time, in case anybody doesn't want the game to end at 2050. Be sure to have "Load Scenario" checked as with other pre-set up maps.

Alternate Download (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15557) - This is a compressed file, to use it you will need to extract it to your Civilization 5/MODS/ folder. Then in-game, go to mods, enable Shiggs Earth and ensure to have load scenario checked.

There are two option maps I've recently created. To use these maps you should extract them to your MODS/Shiggs Earth (v6)/Maps folder.

They are both essentially the same map, only with some minor changes, the names basically explain how they are different.
Shiggs Earth Domination Only (http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=267513&d=1286484874)
Shiggs Earth Greece Included (http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=267514&d=1286484874)

Note: you will need to have Shiggs Earth installed for either of these to work (they are not stand alone)

Recommended mods to use with this map:
Valkrionn's Economy Mod (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=385224)
Afforess' Active City Defense (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386713)
Bhruic's Tree Growth (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386104)

please report any problems or suggestions in this thread. Enjoy,

Shiggs

Shiggs713
Sep 29, 2010, 07:14 PM
Screenshots with only terrain and resources shown. Note that these are from v2. There have been many updates and fixes.

Shiggs713
Sep 29, 2010, 07:15 PM
And more...

Omega124
Sep 29, 2010, 07:39 PM
What civ did you remove and why?

Shiggs713
Sep 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
Greece, because they are literally right on top of the Ottomans. Plus there aren't many city states, so I picked Otto's because the Greek UA would be maybe nerfed with not many city states near. Not that the Ottoman UA is any good. Greece would have been mighty close to the Romans also.

This basically resembles some of the earth maps for civ4, except I added a few city states where they weren't in the way. I would have made it all in the old world (AIOW) but 14 civs would be pretty light for a huge map. Its still a work in progress.

edited first post

HG_CassiusA
Sep 29, 2010, 11:37 PM
I had a look at the map in the WorldBuilder, and while I'm not sure one way or the other as to any balancing reasons, I think there is room for Almaty and Rio de Janeiro :)

Nice resource distribution, anything to encourage trade :D

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 06:37 AM
yea, those will probably get added later. I still preferred some of the AIOW earth maps for civ4, and this is just a basic attempt at resembling those, even though its not AIOW, but once we get more civs it will be. It will become a bit more complex with time. Perhaps some new city states, maybe new resources ect.

JEELEN
Sep 30, 2010, 07:21 AM
Nice one.:goodjob: (Although Iīd personally prefer the Greeks over the Turks - but I may do that myself later.)

Did you remove Horse from America and Madagascar? And could you add a complete civ list? :confused:

DLing now. :D

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 07:23 AM
There is no horse in the western hemisphere ;) or Madagascar. I'll update the first post soon with better details.

Jellly
Sep 30, 2010, 07:23 AM
YES! Finally! I've been waiting for a mod that balances the Earths resources since the launch :) Just a question, are these resources placed based on real world locations, or is it just your own strategic placement?

JEELEN
Sep 30, 2010, 07:24 AM
There is no horse in the western hemisphere ;) or Madagascar. I'll update the first post soon with better details.

Cool - thx. :)

Ick of the East
Sep 30, 2010, 08:23 AM
Why not remove the Ottomans? The Greeks were there first.

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
well, because the Greeks are even more in the way then the Ottomans. Its not very hard to change it if you want. Also there are no city states really close to that area and I thought it would nerf their UA. I didn't want Europe to be littered with 10 city states as to not be a fair start. If you play the RSL Earth maps you'll know what I'm talking about. Half the city states can't even found their first city because they are all so close.

aguds
Sep 30, 2010, 09:03 AM
Can I set the speed and size of this map? If not; what is it set to?

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 09:38 AM
You can set the speed. By default it is on epic. Read the OP if you want to know the map size. I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

keldath
Sep 30, 2010, 09:58 AM
nice Shiggs713,

its so nice to see all the old posters from civ4 coming back here :)

CyberChrist
Sep 30, 2010, 10:53 AM
What is Cape Town doing in Chile? :)

Monyu
Sep 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
Did you fix Japan? Their starting location was correct but extremely unplayable.

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 11:40 AM
nice Shiggs713,

its so nice to see all the old posters from civ4 coming back here :)
yes, nice to see you around as well. :)

What is Cape Town doing in Chile? :)
haha, if that is the case then my mistake, that will be fixed.

Did you fix Japan? Their starting location was correct but extremely unplayable.
Do you mean fix japan as per the rsl maps? If so then yes, I think so. I played with them on emperor difficulty on my test playthru and kept up in score just fine. I usually play on emperor so thats how I test, though all AI's are set at prince by default (As opposed to the firaxis default value of settler [maybe thats why the AI is so dumb normally?]) Also you won't need to embark to traverse up and down the island ;)

also just a general note, once I get some of these little bugs worked out I'll be removing it from the OP and it will be on the mod hub only.

Modified77
Sep 30, 2010, 11:57 AM
Just wondered if you've fixed the problem of Great Britain being connected to mainland Europe??

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
YES! Finally! I've been waiting for a mod that balances the Earths resources since the launch :) Just a question, are these resources placed based on real world locations, or is it just your own strategic placement?

sorry missed this somehow. I tried to vaguely base it on real world locations. Silk is only in east Asia, there is no horse in the western hemisphere, furs deer, gold, and silver dominate the northern regions, Arabia is littered with oil ect. Many of the early strategic resources are close to the starting locations but not in the initial capitals range, but could be had with 1 or 2 tile growths, there are exceptions. Japan doesn't have horse for example, but they have 6 iron right next to their capitol. They could get horse fairly quickly if they tried though.

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 02:20 PM
Just wondered if you've fixed the problem of Great Britain being connected to mainland Europe??

Yes England does not connect to mainland Europe.. Now that Edinburgh and Dublin are not in the way, London usually expands more northeast as well. Unless your really pumping culture, France should have all of the mainland.

edited first post

The map/mod is now on the mod hub only. I fixed a few more things (Cape Town I'm looking at you), I added in Almaty and Rio de Janeiro, and also added 5 new city states; Madrid, Karakorum, Sydney, Bandar Seri Begawan, and Cuzco.

I also adjusted some resources. Slightly helped out Rome, Ottomans, England, and nerfed Siam and Persia a tad. Adjustments will continue to be made until we get it right, so feedback is critical because I can only play so many games and mod, and attempt to have a life.

Thanks, and enjoy

Shiggs

Szpilman
Sep 30, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hey Shiggs, thanks very much for offering the new City States for my mod! They have Civilopedia entries?

Regarding my idea, to which Civ would you associate Bandar Seri Begawan (India?) if any?

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 06:13 PM
no problem, yea they all have civlopedia entries. Just relevant info I copied and pasted from wiki. I would associate them with either India or Siam. Bandar Seri Begawan is the capitol city of Brunei, its a tiny little nation, basically surrounded by Indonesia.

katatoni
Sep 30, 2010, 08:14 PM
Tried it out some as Japan and am enjoying it. :) Seems Hanoi is located in Australia though and I couldnt see Sydney, though my only exploration of it has been with a boat

Shiggs713
Sep 30, 2010, 08:37 PM
hhhmmm Hanoi isn't even supposed to be in there, Sydney should be on the water, I'll have to investigate that. Welcome to the forums :)

JEELEN
Sep 30, 2010, 10:06 PM
well, because the Greeks are even more in the way then the Ottomans.

You should say then the Romans are in the way, as the Greeks precede them as well by a couple of centuries.

Half the city states can't even found their first city because they are all so close.

Missed Sidon playing as Egypt... :( (They even found when I have a Warrior right next to their Settler.)

Ragusa could easily be moved across and renamed Carthage. ;)

Also, Ancient Ruins seem to be missing...

Dark_Jedi06
Sep 30, 2010, 10:26 PM
I just have a quick question, how do you get your map to load with your mod? I've loaded my map into ModBuddy and for whatever reason the map does not show up in game unless placed the My Documents > Civ5 > Maps folder.

Is there a specific Action you have to tack on for the map?

Thank you. :)

Lilpenny
Oct 01, 2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah DLing now gonna check this out. But no greece just seems wrong. Though I do know what you mean the mid mediteranian civs are just so close together its hard to play them.

Goosey
Oct 01, 2010, 02:19 AM
I've had 2 games on this map, really enjoying them, only thing is that the european nations and ottoman/persia is really weak if russia expands west, in my games, france was killed of by germany and in the other ottoman and rome also quite early, im only on warlord if that makes any difference, but it wasn't me killing them off,

but the most annoyning thing is i can't click "quick combat"!

Omega124
Oct 01, 2010, 04:29 AM
Okay, first off, I think Africa has way more than enough room for a second city state, and I think Askum fits the bill. Tell me which other African country besides Ethiopia successfully fought off colonialism?

Also:

Ragusa could easily be moved across and renamed Carthage.

YES, YES, YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! Complete win! I don't know why they decided to leave out Carthage in the main game at all (Maybe because they're going to be one of the first new civs and didn't want to deal with the trouble removing them? Maybe they seriously though Tyre was a better choice?), but this will fix the problem. And again, you can't possibly say there's no room for it.

Finally, is there a chance for Babylon being added into the game?

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 06:34 AM
You should say then the Romans are in the way, as the Greeks precede them as well by a couple of centuries.

Missed Sidon playing as Egypt... :( (They even found when I have a Warrior right next to their Settler.)

Ragusa could easily be moved across and renamed Carthage. ;)

Also, Ancient Ruins seem to be missing...

So you would prefer Sidon there and ancient ruins on the map? I can make a new city state named Carthage, no need to replace :)

I just have a quick question, how do you get your map to load with your mod? I've loaded my map into ModBuddy and for whatever reason the map does not show up in game unless placed the My Documents > Civ5 > Maps folder.

Is there a specific Action you have to tack on for the map?

Thank you. :)

What I did to get my map was I loaded up Dale's Huge RSL Earth map. I saved it as Map. Then I created my mod structure. Like the project file, and a few folders to put my stuff in, XML, Maps. Then I cut and pasted the map into there, and then worked on in from world builder. After I was done I made a back up copy because this mod buddy has been acting screwy with not updating my changes. Then i finished creating the XML file that adds the new city states, did all the Action stuff on the properties, and built it. I do recall that the build function tries to take everything from the "Build" folder within the mod buddy thing and will overwrite any files without asking. I took my backup copy of the map and pasted it in 3 places, inside the Shiggs Earth/Builds/Maps part, then inside the Shiggs Earth/Maps part, and then inside the Shiggs Earth (v1)/Maps folder to make sure the file was the same everywhere, because I swear to god this mod buddy has several bugs still, and was trying to use the original map that I had not edited for some god forsaken reason. There is no Action for the Map, but I forget what its called the tab under that, you will need to add the Map there.

Yeah DLing now gonna check this out. But no greece just seems wrong. Though I do know what you mean the mid mediteranian civs are just so close together its hard to play them.

I might edit that area and add Greece, everybody seems to want them ;)

Okay, first off, I think Africa has way more than enough room for a second city state, and I think Askum fits the bill. Tell me which other African country besides Ethiopia successfully fought off colonialism?

Also:

YES, YES, YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! Complete win! I don't know why they decided to leave out Carthage in the main game at all (Maybe because they're going to be one of the first new civs and didn't want to deal with the trouble removing them? Maybe they seriously though Tyre was a better choice?), but this will fix the problem. And again, you can't possibly say there's no room for it.

Finally, is there a chance for Babylon being added into the game?

yes you are right. I think Africa needs more action as well. Carthage and Aksum sound great :) Babylon probably not real soon because I don't have the extra stuff.

Also I'm in the middle of creating a Spanish civ, truth be told I'm already done, just need to edit some text and maybe add a button or two. Any thoughts on adding them and removing my Madrid city state?

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 06:54 AM
I've had 2 games on this map, really enjoying them, only thing is that the european nations and ottoman/persia is really weak if russia expands west, in my games, france was killed of by germany and in the other ottoman and rome also quite early, im only on warlord if that makes any difference, but it wasn't me killing them off,

but the most annoyning thing is i can't click "quick combat"!

Interesting, in my games France usually owns, and I had to beef up Rome, Germany, and Otto's so maybe I need to tone that back down or make some adjustments... Glad your enjoying them :)

Not sure why quick combat isn't working, I'll look into it.

Szpilman
Oct 01, 2010, 07:23 AM
So is Sidon more related to Egypt than to Persia?
Is Ragusa anywhere near Tunisia or that was just meant as replacing so the same number is kept?

And how about some Macedon stuff as a Greek-related City State? ;)

I'm getting almost there finding three City States for each Civ for my mod.

I still miss Babylon City States though, guess it's cause not everyone has the DLC.

SirBeegus
Oct 01, 2010, 08:02 AM
Re: the debate about Greece vs Ottomans - is there room to create and add the city state of Athens?

russ555
Oct 01, 2010, 08:10 AM
I guess civs are supposed to start in their real life locations, if thats the case then I have a problem because when I play as england I always start on a tiny island thats got about 10 tiles of land. This is with load scenario ticked.

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 08:14 AM
are you next to France still? If so, I know England is tiny, its just the way it is. If not, there is some kind of error, I playtested as England, so I know for a fact they are in the correct spot, save some kind of bug if you are correct.

also SirBeegus, not a bad idea, I will consider it.

Szpilman - I'm not sure how the city states relate to civs, but I might consider adding more soon.

Goosey
Oct 01, 2010, 08:19 AM
am i stupid or is it correct that once i click load scenario i can't enter advanced options when setting up a game?

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 08:20 AM
its the way all the pre setup maps are, point your finger and wave it at Firaxis, not the mod creators. ;)

I did turn Time victory off for anybody that wanted to continue playing past 2050. Other than that all the advanced options are standard.

JtW
Oct 01, 2010, 08:58 AM
I usually play on emperor so thats how I test, though all AI's are set at prince by default (As opposed to the firaxis default value of settler [maybe thats why the AI is so dumb normally?])

Is there any way to change this setting without loading a mod? I.e., if I play a normal game on Prince, is the AI level set to Settler or Prince? If to Settler, how do I change that?

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 09:07 AM
All the AI's are set to Prince. Firaxis default is actually Settler :blush: The only way to change it is to load the map up in worldbuilder, with the mod activated of course. Or if you meant on regular maps, pretty much the same thing, you will have to change it in worldbuilder. Or make a minimod that changes the default difficulty level.

Nightravn
Oct 01, 2010, 10:50 AM
Hey Shigg.... I am working on making a huge Earth Map with a silightly enlarged europe/med... Got the basic landmasses done and was wondering if you would interested in it for this project?

faratia
Oct 01, 2010, 11:13 AM
Nice work Shigg, really enjoyed the game.

However there's a problem with the NEW city-states.
I think there's something wrong with their unit building script or something.
Because they didnt recognise themselves as city-states, so they built a hell lot of settlers, and of course they cant create any new cities, so they ended up having a lot of settlers in their territory doing nothing.

Hope this helps on perfecting this wonderful mod.

Szpilman
Oct 01, 2010, 11:26 AM
Interesting, maybe the City States are not set as MINOR_CIV? Because barbs and city-states have the Settler UnitClass overriden to nothing, and that's why they can't build any.

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hey Shigg.... I am working on making a huge Earth Map with a silightly enlarged europe/med... Got the basic landmasses done and was wondering if you would interested in it for this project?

Yes for sure. What would you like me to contribute? I can do maps, but really I'd prefer sticking to editing the data, maybe even code. I can do some 2d art as well.

Nice work Shigg, really enjoyed the game.

However there's a problem with the NEW city-states.
I think there's something wrong with their unit building script or something.
Because they didnt recognise themselves as city-states, so they built a hell lot of settlers, and of course they cant create any new cities, so they ended up having a lot of settlers in their territory doing nothing.

Hope this helps on perfecting this wonderful mod.

Yes, there is something wrong, I tested it myself and you are right. :( I'll look at it and see what I can do.

Interesting, maybe the City States are not set as MINOR_CIV? Because barbs and city-states have the Settler UnitClass overriden to nothing, and that's why they can't build any.

They are set as minor civ so I'm at a loss until I investigate it more.

JEELEN
Oct 01, 2010, 12:58 PM
So you would prefer Sidon there and ancient ruins on the map? I can make a new city state named Carthage, no need to replace :)
I might edit that area and add Greece, everybody seems to want them ;)
yes you are right. I think Africa needs more action as well. Carthage and Aksum sound great :)

Yes, please. :D (Kush wasnīt a city, Meroe/Merawe was Nubian/Kushite capital.)

They are set as minor civ so I'm at a loss until I investigate it more.

You could remove the No-Settler tag from Carthage so it can found some more. ;)

Also I'm in the middle of creating a Spanish civ, truth be told I'm already done, just need to edit some text and maybe add a button or two. Any thoughts on adding them and removing my Madrid city state?

If you add the Spanish Madrid should be on their city list, I reckon. Can add Lisbon (Portugal was ruled by Spain from 1580-1640 and originally one of the Northern Christian principalities that resisted Moorish conquest) and Ceuta (across from Gibralraīs Rock) if you want. ;)

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 01:13 PM
interesting JEELEN, thanks.

I figured out why the stupid AI city states were building settlers. They are allowed to by default!?! Yet the city state AI's don't know what to do with them. If you set their expansion flavor to anything but 0, i think they will eventually build one.

So it looks like maybe Firaxis was already planning on allowing city states to found more then one city, they just haven't given it the proper AI yet. I honestly think that transferred over from some of the entries I copied in original files. I didn't change much at all except some names.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=266259&stc=1&d=1285960364

They build military now, in fact Karakorum beat Tyre to its first military unit. I had a scout, warrior, and 2 triremes camping out at 3 of the 5, and one already existing city state to compare, and they all did fine. I also confirmed that Sydney is there :p

I'll upload a new version soon with the changes.

Nightravn
Oct 01, 2010, 03:02 PM
Yes for sure. What would you like me to contribute? I can do maps, but really I'd prefer sticking to editing the data, maybe even code. I can do some 2d art as well.

Just what your doing now but using my map instead of the default one you are using now... figured you did a great job with the resourses and adding the civs and cities states which is where I am not so sure on so if I supply another map you could help flush it out... I should be able to get most of the features done tonight... then I will upload it here so you can take a crack at it.

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 03:06 PM
sure, might be a few days before I'm done though.

Edited first post

Version 2 of Shiggs Earth is now available on the Mod Hub. Mod buddy is acting buggy again and won't let me remove the old one right now, so be sure to get the correct one (v2).

I added Sidon, and also created Carthage and Aksum minor civs and they are all on the map now. The minors building settlers bug should be resolved. I didn't do many resource tweaks this time so just let me know if you see something that could use some tweaks. Thanks and enjoy,

Edit: finally got the old one removed :crazyeye:

JEELEN
Oct 01, 2010, 03:55 PM
Cool! Will check it out ASAP. :goodjob:

Nice OP BTW. ;)

Szpilman
Oct 01, 2010, 04:58 PM
How do you remove an old mod from ModBrowser? I tried but couldn't find a way, so I just set it to private. But I hate clutter :P

So, I'm guessing in my mod Carthage could be tied to Rome? And Aksum to Babylon or what?

Shiggs713
Oct 01, 2010, 05:10 PM
I meant to say make it private. I only made it private, I don't know how to remove it completely.

Carthage with Rome yes, Aksum probably Egypt, but I guess it could be Babylon too.

Nightravn
Oct 02, 2010, 09:26 AM
Ok here it is Shigg... This is a hand map Huge Earth Map with an Enlarged Europe and Mediterranean (had to shorten alaska and eastern siberia). Got most of terrian and rivers done... though it could probably be tweaked some more. Havent put in the jungle or forest yet so you could see the features better... let me know what ya think and tweak it to your hearts content.

gnosisQ
Oct 02, 2010, 09:35 AM
Great stuff, thank you for the update.

So much more fun playing as Japan now :)

Shiggs713
Oct 02, 2010, 10:13 AM
Ok here it is Shigg... This is a hand map Huge Earth Map with an Enlarged Europe and Mediterranean (had to shorten alaska and eastern siberia). Got most of terrian and rivers done... though it could probably be tweaked some more. Havent put in the jungle or forest yet so you could see the features better... let me know what ya think and tweak it to your hearts content.

Ok, so do you want me to place all the civs, and whatever city states that fit well? I'll probably do the resources kinda like I did mine, mostly from memory, but I did go back and reference every now and then.

Great stuff, thank you for the update.

So much more fun playing as Japan now :)

your welcome!

Omega124
Oct 02, 2010, 10:27 AM
So, I'm currently playing as Egypt, and I'm aiming for a diplomatic/cultural victory. I have currently 5 votes for me (Myself, Madrid, Carthage, Aksum, and Cape Town). I recently fought off a dual Arabian/Ottoman advance (Well, more like Arabian, as the Ottomans just stayed in Istanbul and masturbated instead). The biggest problem? I was in the Renaissance and I haven't even researched Iron Working yet. My Spearmen, plus a Chariot or two, were able to hold the advance off, however, mostly because Arabia also didn't send Swordmen, either (As a note, most of the world was in late classical/early medieval, and I was in early Renaissance. Yes, I still didn't have Iron Working by then. Laugh if you want to.) I probably would have been crushed if they did, though. I was able to steal Mecca by having a chariot bombard it from Africa, then sending a Spearman to capture it. By then, the Ottomans had agreed to a white peace, and Arabia gave up after Mecca was "liberated" by us Egyptians.

I then tried conquering Sidon, especially since only Arabia (Whom now relocated to Mesopotamia and are pretty much out of the game de facto) cares about them at all, but the lack of Swordmen to defend my Archers (Turns out Spear Vs. Spear usually gets both units killed, I win the fights, and kill Sidon's Spear, and Sidon's bombardment kills the Spear), plus me refusing to bring siege units, ruined my plan, so I declared peace. I'm planning on making them my allies soon.

France, as you always say, dominates Europe, though Rome controls the Balkans and seems to be able to hold its ground if needed. England also went the same route I did and befriended Scandinavia, so France would need to fight a two front war against England. Ottomans went towards Russia (Whom were my allies but in name, and closest friends) after our war, and won, so I'm guessing Suleiman really hates my guts or something. Both losing nations are still around, or I would try to liberate them for the votes. Scouting in Africa also shows India only with its capitol, with Persia with all the other cities. I didn't actually see this happen, so its only a guess. I'm hoping to see how the Far East goes.

It's a really heated game right now. I'm currently beelining to Telegram so I can get Christ the Redeemer. One of the most important wonders if your going for a cultural victory, in my opinion. I'm also scouting Asia, and I'm planning on discovering, and colonizing, the world for the resources (All I have is a lot of Sugar and Incease, plus a sheep and a horse).

Suggestions:
I'm not sure why Arabia sent Warriors instead of Swordmen. Perhaps they two skipped the tech, or maybe they don't have any (improved) Iron. You should look into it

Even with the new city states, Africa and the Med is still boring. Songhai and I are friends, and it was too easy befriending the city states. But with Carthage and Sidon, plus maybe either Vienna, Warsaw, or Budapest, I could see a Greek civ being relevant. At least add Athens as a city state, so that Rome would have to fight for dominice instead of just sending some settlers.

I would love a Spanish civ, but Iberia is small. Unless they do a settler rush and settle southern France, they're an OCC. (And if they did do it, France would be an OCC). However, I'd think they would be a great colonialist civ, allow Europe to burn in senseless wars while you get rich off the New World, which is exactly my playstyle. Its just the AI playing them is what I'm scared of.

I'll play the second half of this game later and tell you about it. BTW, Its currently around 1470-1570, and I'm still the only civ in Renaissance. I still see pop-ups saying "INSERT NAME HERE has reached the Medieval Era", which saddens me.

Shiggs713
Oct 02, 2010, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a fairly epic game. Yea, I gave Arabia easy access to horse, but they will need to settle the southern part of the Arabian penninsula to get their Iron... might make an adjustment for them. India has been problematic in play testing. They never seem to build a second city despite having one of the best starting locations, by the time they do persia and siam already have cities in the indian subcontinent.

I'll consider making the city states harder to make friends with, I thought it was too easy in the standard game also. I know everybody wants Greece, and I might add them, but it will be some work considering how small that area is. If I don't add them I'll at least add Athens as per your suggestions.

Also what would you think if I moved Madrid 1 hex east and added a Lisboa city state? I'll probably be adding more city states to both Africa and the new world in the future as well.

sounds like a pretty fun game. I always play on epic speed, i haven't made it that far yet cause it takes so long, but am looking forward to it.

Edit: also did you observe how Germany did? Were they dead or weak?

Nightravn
Oct 02, 2010, 11:12 AM
Ok, so do you want me to place all the civs, and whatever city states that fit well? I'll probably do the resources kinda like I did mine, mostly from memory, but I did go back and reference every now and then.

Let me know what ya think about the general shape and what not... we might need to make some adjustments here and there... then just do what ya did with the map from dale though you should be able to fit in a few more city states.

Shiggs713
Oct 02, 2010, 11:30 AM
Let me know what ya think about the general shape and what not... we might need to make some adjustments here and there... then just do what ya did with the map from dale though you should be able to fit in a few more city states.

after a quick look its pretty good. For me, The south eastern Arabian peninsula kinda looks weird. Maybe could use a couple of those tiles as plains. Australia looks a little odd too, mainly the north west coast line. I like the oversized Europe overall, but maybe a few hexes could be changed as well. The western hemisphere looks great really, nothing much to add there. Japan and china looks good from what I saw too.

Edit: actually looking at it again, maybe alaska could use a few hex changes as well. I think it extends out more towards asia, and less southward.

another edit: probably could use more desert in australia as well.

Nightravn
Oct 02, 2010, 12:04 PM
after a quick look its pretty good. For me, The south eastern Arabian peninsula kinda looks weird. Maybe could use a couple of those tiles as plains. Australia looks a little odd too, mainly the north west coast line. I like the oversized Europe overall, but maybe a few hexes could be changed as well. The western hemisphere looks great really, nothing much to add there. Japan and china looks good from what I saw too.

Edit: actually looking at it again, maybe alaska could use a few hex changes as well. I think it extends out more towards asia, and less southward.

Make whatever changes you think are appropiate.... also tell me how you got the picture of the whole map like...

zeggy
Oct 02, 2010, 12:14 PM
update please.. :P

Omega124
Oct 02, 2010, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a fairly epic game. Yea, I gave Arabia easy access to horse, but they will need to settle the southern part of the Arabian penninsula to get their Iron... might make an adjustment for them.

I think that's the problem, their second city was in Mesopotamia, so they obviously never settled the bottom portion of the Arabian Peninsula for the Iron. Or, again, I was just lucky that they decided to skip Iron Working like I did.

India has been problematic in play testing. They never seem to build a second city despite having one of the best starting locations, by the time they do persia and siam already have cities in the indian subcontinent

Well, there is an open portion in India that could be settled. I seriously think they lost a war to them, and Persia told them to stop settling near them, which Gandhi agreed to follow. :lol:

I'll consider making the city states harder to make friends with, I thought it was too easy in the standard game also. I know everybody wants Greece, and I might add them, but it will be some work considering how small that area is. If I don't add them I'll at least add Athens as per your suggestions.

Add a 4 horse and a 6 iron in Macedon, and problem solved. You really don't even need the iron as Greece, the Hoplite/Companion is the best ancient army in the entire world, the Hoplite can hold its ground against every unit in its era bar Legions (Which is why Rome conquered Greece, BTW), and the Companion is a great rusher. I wouldn't be surprised if Europe or the Middle East becomes Hellenized.

Also what would you think if I moved Madrid 1 hex east and added a Lisboa city state? I'll probably be adding more city states to both Africa and the new world in the future as well.

I think that would make Spain a powerhouse. Beeline Archery, attack Lisbon from a range, and you get a second city before you can build a freaking road to connect them. I like the moving of Madrid so they can build a second city, but adding an easy picking of a target is too much.

Whom would lead them, BTW? UU, UA, and (possibly) UB, please? I'd imagine, for the legacy of the civ, the Conquistador will be back, which would replace a Lancer (With a bonus against units of the previous eras? Increased GG spawn?).

sounds like a pretty fun game. I always play on epic speed, i haven't made it that far yet cause it takes so long, but am looking forward to it.

Edit: also did you observe how Germany did? Were they dead or weak?

Well, this was on Standard, not Epic. I simply don't have the time for an epic game. We already have cIV epic-level research times on standard as is, I'd hate to see CiV's Marathon times.

As said before, Germany lost Berlin, but according to the diploscreen, they still exist, or le bleu blob would be destroyed, and them liberated so I could have an extra vote in the UN.

EDIT: If you're going to add Athens as a city state, please make them Cultured. We already have enough Militaristic City States as is, especailly in the area (Madrid, Carthage, and I think Sidon, not sure on the later). I want some varirty, and besides, saying the Greeks aren't cultured is like saying Cheese isn't dairy.

JEELEN
Oct 02, 2010, 01:26 PM

Yup. Central Australia is pretty much desert all around.

Sounds like a fairly epic game. Yea, I gave Arabia easy access to horse, but they will need to settle the southern part of the Arabian penninsula to get their Iron... might make an adjustment for them. India has been problematic in play testing. They never seem to build a second city despite having one of the best starting locations, by the time they do persia and siam already have cities in the indian subcontinent.

In my current game (as Persia) I could have gotten a second city in India, yeah; could have wiped them out actually as they only had Workers built in and around Delhi. But I focused on locking off Persia for wandering Settlers. The Arabs never showed and it turned out they crossed into Africa, as Egyptīs capital was expanding so slowly that I even could pass my Scout over it around 500 AD!

Which reminds me: Egypt should have easy access to Copper and Gold. ;)

Yeay!!!

Shiggs713
Oct 02, 2010, 02:10 PM
Ok I'll take all of your observations under consideration and get an update here in the coming days. Spain, i actually removed and began making it within its own mod, but I'm not progressing much on it really, its kinda on the backburner because its more of a pain than I first thought, I don't wanna release a Spain civ unless it at least has its own 2d art. Also, when i mentioned Lisboa I meant that both they and Madrid would be city states.

JEELEN
Oct 02, 2010, 05:51 PM
Ummm... a Spain mod was just put up. ;)

Jellly
Oct 02, 2010, 07:18 PM
Also, when you are playesting and such, you should download the mod that allows you to reveal the whole map. Saves time on manually searching the seas/ lands.

JEELEN
Oct 02, 2010, 08:47 PM
Can do that in Worldbuilder, canīt you?

BTW, noticed some funny looking hexes around New Guinea and some isles up from there - hope those get (got? not sure which version Iīm now playing) touched up. ;)

Jellly
Oct 03, 2010, 01:10 AM
Yeah I suppose you could, but if you want to make sure it works in-game that mod would be very handy.

Also, I downloaded the new version but now whenever I open it up in single player it does not place me in the correct starting location :(

Shiggs713
Oct 03, 2010, 04:26 AM
Ummm... a Spain mod was just put up. ;)

well, good now I don't have to mess with it anymore :) hopefully it is of good quality.

Also, when you are playesting and such, you should download the mod that allows you to reveal the whole map. Saves time on manually searching the seas/ lands.

sounds like a good idea I didn't even see that.

Can do that in Worldbuilder, canīt you?

BTW, noticed some funny looking hexes around New Guinea and some isles up from there - hope those get (got? not sure which version Iīm now playing) touched up. ;)

yea, I'm not sure exactly why it is doing that, it looks fine in WB but in-game it always looks weird.

Yeah I suppose you could, but if you want to make sure it works in-game that mod would be very handy.

Also, I downloaded the new version but now whenever I open it up in single player it does not place me in the correct starting location :(

did you make sure "load scenario" is checked?

JEELEN
Oct 03, 2010, 05:28 AM
well, good now I don't have to mess with it anymore :) hopefully it is of good quality.

Dunno yet. I kinda meant you might wanna use that instead of making a whole new one. ;)

yea, I'm not sure exactly why it is doing that, it looks fine in WB but in-game it always looks weird.

Dang. So you canīt edit it out? :(

Shiggs713
Oct 03, 2010, 05:34 AM
well I might still use it ;) Also I can probably fix it, I'm not totally sure yet though.

Jellly
Oct 03, 2010, 07:17 AM
Yeah I double and triple checked I had load scenario on. It works if I run it through the mods -> single player menu, but then it wont let me save :confused:

Shiggs713
Oct 03, 2010, 08:21 AM
the only way you can ever play a mod is through mods--> single player

the save issue is Firaxis's problem. Though I think you can actually save, its just buggy clicking in the naming area, and the save button isn't clickable until you name it. Oh and other old save games do not show up, despite the fact they are there. You can see them still if you go to load game.

Jellly
Oct 03, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hmm I could swear I could have played them through the normal single player...

Oh well, I'll have to try make do with the buggy interface...ugh

Shiggs713
Oct 04, 2010, 02:48 PM
Ok, so I'll be releasing v3 here in the next day or two, any last suggestions before I upload?

After playing a couple games about half way through I really think the actual terrain is pretty damn good. I'd like to make asia a bit richer, and more food resources around the world in general. Also I'll probably be adding about a half a dozen more city states so any more suggestions on those are welcome as well. I'm also considering including tech changes and build changes as well to make the technology come a little slower and buildings and units come quicker. Its just way off pace compared to civ4. Thoughts?

jam4865
Oct 04, 2010, 03:15 PM
I haven't played this map yet, but it looks great. I didn't notice if there were any natural wonders in it.
Also are there ruins?
If not, I think these would be great to include.

Shiggs713
Oct 04, 2010, 03:27 PM
yes, I will add ruins, the main reason I did not add them at first was so I could try to get the balance correct, then add them later, but I just keep forgetting... They will be there for v3 :)

all the natural wonders are there as well ;)

JEELEN
Oct 04, 2010, 07:36 PM
Good. :)

Ok, so I'll be releasing v3 here in the next day or two, any last suggestions before I upload?

After playing a couple games about half way through I really think the actual terrain is pretty damn good. I'd like to make asia a bit richer, and more food resources around the world in general. Also I'll probably be adding about a half a dozen more city states so any more suggestions on those are welcome as well. I'm also considering including tech changes and build changes as well to make the technology come a little slower and buildings and units come quicker. Its just way off pace compared to civ4. Thoughts?

I play Quick now, because otherwise the whole game is just way too slow for me buildwise, so I welcome any change to that.

Ah, just looked at the screenies (looking good) and noticed some possible improvements:

- Cyrenaica was originally a wooded area (making sheep unlikely as a resource there)
- Nubia/Sudan had gold mines (which the pharaohs traded with or conquered)
- Mongolia has iron (Mongol ironsmiths were pretty good, as Ghenghis knew)
- Rumania has oil (Ploesti), Baku (Eastern Kaukasus), Nigeria and Indonesia (Sumatra) too
- North Africa needs some Ivory (Hannibal!).

Almost forgot - for additional city states you might wanna check out this modcomp: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386016

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 05:19 AM
thank you JEELEN, v3 will be up sometime today :)

Omega124
Oct 05, 2010, 05:29 AM
Egyptian Oil. That is all. (In my game, I still have oil, due to Mecca and my Venezuela colony, but seriously, mainland Egypt needs Oil)

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 07:59 AM
Ok, I've taken all of your suggestions into account and uploaded v3 of Shiggs Earth! I haven't had time to fully test it yet, but I am quite sure it will be better now.

I've added 6 more city states. Lisboa, Kinshasa, Dar es Salaam, Tikal, Athens, and Auckland.

Madrid is still a city-state, though I've moved them 1 hex east and heavily edited Europe's terrain. Italy now looks like a boot, Great Britain looks much better imo. More food resources around the globe, and some more rivers added.

All of your suggestions have been done JEELEN, and Egypt has Oil too Omega. I also gave Arabia some more iron and a better start in general, they seemed to be weak.

All the research will take 50% longer on any speed. All the unit and building construction times will take 50% less on any speed. This may need some tweaking or maybe even change other values like the workerbuild % or growth %. Needs testing, but the changes I made are for sure working.

I actually forgot to add city ruins, but that can be easily fixed for v4

edited first post

Enjoy,

Shiggs

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 09:06 AM
sorry for any inconvenience. I did very limited testing with my game speeds. After trying it out for about 100 turns on various game speeds, I've decided to tone down the changes, they are now 33% instead of 50%.

v4 up now with the reflected changes

edited first post

ReQuest
Oct 05, 2010, 11:02 AM
Where do you need to place the: change city states and gamespeedchanges.xml's?
i have a relocated steam map so my civ 5 doesnt put in in automatically.

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 11:18 AM
those two files should be in:

Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/MODS/Shiggs Earth (v4)/XML

welcome to the forums!

JEELEN
Oct 05, 2010, 11:26 AM
sorry for any inconvenience. I did very limited testing with my game speeds. After trying it out for about 100 turns on various game speeds, I've decided to tone down the changes, they are now 33% instead of 50%.

v4 up now with the reflected changes

edited first post

Wow, that was fast! :lol:

Dang, now I need to start yet another game and I havenīt finished the previous one yet. :mischief:

Nice work, Shiggs! :goodjob:

six blade knife
Oct 05, 2010, 01:37 PM
hey Shiggs !
your map is really really good work, I love it :goodjob:

I just have a question though : is it possible to desactivate the pace you set on techs and production ? to be honest i would love to play on your map with the economic mod valkrionn made which i find quite awesome too :)

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 02:28 PM
I may separate that part for a future version, so it won't be a problem with other economic mods.

The only way that would be easy is to just delete the ChangedGameSpeeds.xml file. I'm not sure if this will cause other problems... If it does, you could open up the mod info file and delete the lines where it performs action on that file.

riddleofsteel
Oct 05, 2010, 02:30 PM
Crashed for me around 2500 BC when I encountered Copenhagen... which was right next to Egypt. I am using all kinds of economy mods though, that might have caused it.

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 02:35 PM
hhmm did you go mods --> single player and ensure the Shiggs mod is enabled?

You also must play from the Shiggs Earth map and ensure that load scenario is checked.

Copenhagen isn't even on my map, so it looks like you got all random civs/city states which would be a result of not having load scenario checked.

I am unsure about the crash though, I haven't experienced any yet using only this mod. Thanks for reporting though.

riddleofsteel
Oct 05, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hmm, I might not have had it checked. I remember having it checked, then I had to back out to the list of mods to install the newest version of your map because I forgot to. Then I set up a new game. It's highly possible that I didn't check 'Load Scenario'. It looked like I started in the right location geographically but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Thank you for the reply.

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 06:11 PM
ok, I've played a bit more found some TXT_KEY's in the civlopedia, just a few it looks like I forgot to rename the variables. Easily fixed. Also I'll try to remember to add some city ruins, make a few more adjustments... probably have v5 up in a couple days, so any more suggestions are welcome.

I will probably remove the game speed additions and just recommend some in the description. Not sure yet if I'll release my own or just suggest the economic mod that is pretty similar to what I did, plus more. I also recommend the combined balance mod with this map too, I've been using it on occasion and it works out pretty well.

Shiggs713
Oct 05, 2010, 09:05 PM
Fixed all the text keys in the civlopedia, removed the game speed changes. I have added recommendations in both the OP and in the description in the mod hub for other mods that can achieve this. That way people that don't want them don't have to and can still use this map with ease.

Also I did a few more terrain/resource adjustments but nothing too major. Fixed a couple Rivers.

edited first post

as always enjoy,

Shiggs

ps, barring some problems this will be one of the last updates, I'm gonna start working on other projects here soon. I'm still open to a few tweaks and stuff so if you have any inquires feel free.

smellymummy
Oct 05, 2010, 11:51 PM
very nice map shiggs, thank you very much!

is there a recommended game speed setting seeing how build costs/etc are adjusted? standard, epic, marathon? im enjoying emperor at the moment so wouldnt mind a 'suggested for best enjoyment' setting

now if we could only add some sort of script event to remove start resources from a player (less luxuries essentially) i think that would bring it one step closer to a proper challenge on higher difficulties. well that and maybe something to force the AI to build walls in the BC years ;)

thanks again for the map, i'm having fun with it !

six blade knife
Oct 06, 2010, 02:01 AM
removed the game speed changes.

I can't wait to try it tonight ! it really seems to be great work, thanks again Shiggs :goodjob:

ATOPO
Oct 06, 2010, 02:34 AM
Hey
I hope this question ist not too stupid, but where can I find this map?
I thought the "Mod Hub" is this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php
But I cannot find it there.

JEELEN
Oct 06, 2010, 03:03 AM
:agree: Though playing as Egypt I couldnīt find Dar es Salaam or Kinshasa in Africa (Perhaps Iīm on v. 3? Not sure how I can tell...)

six blade knife
Oct 06, 2010, 03:42 AM
Hey
I hope this question ist not too stupid, but where can I find this map?
I thought the "Mod Hub" is this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php
But I cannot find it there.

the modhub is in game. you have to lauch the game, then go in the "mods" section. there you can download whatever you like. to find this map, just enter "shiggs" in the research panel.

ATOPO
Oct 06, 2010, 03:45 AM
thanks!
I didn't thought, that it would be that simple;)

Shiggs713
Oct 06, 2010, 07:38 AM
did you find sudanese gold JEELEN? I'm not exactly sure whats going on, sometimes worldbuider saves my changes just fine, other times, its like I didn't do anything. I'm in the middle of playing a game as England and I've found both actually, but I'm sure MB messed it up somehow.

I think the only way to tell is when you are enabling/disabling mods, you can see what version it is in the description.

The latest version is 5, just fyi.

Mongolia Jones
Oct 06, 2010, 08:20 AM
1st time poster, long time player here (since civ 1 days)

Wonderful job on this mod/map.

I noticed that settling new cities only adds 15% to the social cost of policies instead of the default 30% (at least thats what the tool tip says when you hover the mouse pointer over your total accumulated social points up top).

I was wondering if was this was intentional? If I wanted to change it back to 30% where do I find the code in your files?

I only have the mods you have recommended (economy, city defence, tree hugger) installed and checked off.

Thanks

Shiggs713
Oct 06, 2010, 09:54 AM
thanks for positng Mongolia Jones! And thank you for your comments.

Interesting, there are no social policy cost adjustments in my mod. It is literally a map, and 1 xml file that defines 13 new city states, no other code whatsoever.

I think the economy mod may have changed that, you would have to look in those XML or SQL files and change it back, or just don't use that mod. All of those mods are of course optional, but those are the ones I use now when I play this map, so I just thought I would recommend them as well.

six blade knife
Oct 06, 2010, 10:07 AM
hey shiggs !
i'm playing on your map as england, and it's really really great =) i'm with the impression of playing this old wargame named diplomacy, we like to play here sometimes on a week end .. between tactics and betrayal ! great fun really, and good work :goodjob:

Shiggs713
Oct 06, 2010, 11:01 AM
hey six blade knife, thank you very much!

I just thought I'd share this, I'm actually having a play through as England, as well, something very exciting just happened! Carthage took a city from Egypt and is expanding across northern Africa!

Also I'm gonna fix some more things like these minor colors. I changed them all in WB, but apparently the XML overrides them, so I'll have to change that in the xml as well. I'll try to remember city ruins this time, v6 will be here soon, most likely the last iteration.

faratia
Oct 06, 2010, 11:43 AM
Carthage did it in my game too, but it razed the city and remained as a one-city state, not sure if your Carthage did too though.

Also, City State Athen's unit got those TXT_blah blah blah on it.(might be because greece already exist as a civ to cause a bug on making the unit named "Greek"? mayby Athenian?)
not sure about other new ones.(Lisboa is fine)

aimlessgun
Oct 06, 2010, 12:38 PM
Just started a game as Arabia, pretty excited to get this rolling and post some screens of how the world develops.

Though I've already sacrificed historical accuracy by moving my settler out of that godforsaken desert and over to the Fertile Crescent haha.

riddleofsteel
Oct 06, 2010, 01:49 PM
Does the map when combined with economy mods either not affect the research level or does it even slow it down? I was playing as England (hard starting spot, by the way) and to get Longbowman I would have needed over 100 turns for Machinery and the two pre-requisites coming right after Iron Working. I could have been in the next age by then. Or is this normal? Thanks, I'm really liking the map!

JEELEN
Oct 06, 2010, 01:55 PM
did you find sudanese gold JEELEN? I'm not exactly sure whats going on, sometimes worldbuider saves my changes just fine, other times, its like I didn't do anything. I'm in the middle of playing a game as England and I've found both actually, but I'm sure MB messed it up somehow.

I think the only way to tell is when you are enabling/disabling mods, you can see what version it is in the description.

The latest version is 5, just fyi.

:lol: You sure now thatīs the final version? ;) OK, will check it out soon as I finish my current game. (I do play with Economy and Active City Defense on, so thx for that.)

Omega124
Oct 06, 2010, 04:07 PM
In protest of Kruglor removing the Iroquois from his map on the grounds of not being "civilized", I'm thinking about making an AAR of this great map as them. Do you mind?

Shiggs713
Oct 06, 2010, 05:18 PM
Carthage did it in my game too, but it razed the city and remained as a one-city state, not sure if your Carthage did too though.

Also, City State Athen's unit got those TXT_blah blah blah on it.(might be because greece already exist as a civ to cause a bug on making the unit named "Greek"? mayby Athenian?)
not sure about other new ones.(Lisboa is fine)

Yea, I noticed a few of them too. I'll double check them all, fix them, and hopefully version 6 will be the last.

Just started a game as Arabia, pretty excited to get this rolling and post some screens of how the world develops.

Though I've already sacrificed historical accuracy by moving my settler out of that godforsaken desert and over to the Fertile Crescent haha.

I tried my best to give Arabia a decent chance even staying in the historical location. If you hurry for a settler you can probably take the fertile cresent, but have fun either way:)

Does the map when combined with economy mods either not affect the research level or does it even slow it down? I was playing as England (hard starting spot, by the way) and to get Longbowman I would have needed over 100 turns for Machinery and the two pre-requisites coming right after Iron Working. I could have been in the next age by then. Or is this normal? Thanks, I'm really liking the map!

The research should be 50% slower and production is 20% more, if you are using the Economy mod. Make sure you delete older versions of any mods before you install the newest version, that might be the problem, I am unsure though.

:lol: You sure now thatīs the final version? ;) OK, will check it out soon as I finish my current game. (I do play with Economy and Active City Defense on, so thx for that.)

yea, I'm pretty sure version 6 will be the last ;) I'll be more thorough making sure all these TXT keys are fixed, and remembering to add the city ruins. I need to get working on other projects :)

In protest of Kruglor removing the Iroquois from his map on the grounds of not being "civilized", I'm thinking about making an AAR of this great map as them. Do you mind?

Sounds great!

riddleofsteel
Oct 06, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hmm. I think the only version of the Economy mod that exists is the one I have installed. I can try over though. My beakers per turn were quite low as England, as well as most of the civs I use.

Shiggs713
Oct 06, 2010, 06:15 PM
one of the older versions of my mod v4 i think edited some gamespeeds as well so make sure any older versions are deleted for this too. I removed that part to make it easier for people who didn't want game speed changes, but wanted to use this map.

Thats why I just made some recommendations, because the Economy mod does some very similar changes, plus some other, mostly cool stuff. The only thing I don't like about it is the building queue's but I can get over that for the sake of ease of use.

I have for sure fixed all the civlopedia entries now. Also the TXT_KEY_CIV5_ATHENS Warrior is now a Greek Warrior ;)

funny thing the problem was Firaxis and their lazy naming conventions. Half the city states are listed TXT_KEY_CIV5_ and the other half are listed TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_ , I just assumed they were all the same... that was the problem with all the text key errors.

I'm gonna make a few more minor adjustments to the map, add some city ruins and the final version will be up maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Omega124
Oct 06, 2010, 07:08 PM
Will the absolute final version have Greece and/or Babylon playable? Because it wouldn't seem complete without Hellens, and Babylon would be an extra treat. Perhaps someone with the DLC will upload the mod with Babylon in it (Firaxis doesn't care, or else the attempt to add them in True Earth Location map sets would have gotten a "cease-and-desist" order)

Shiggs713
Oct 06, 2010, 07:43 PM
Probably not Omega124, it would not be hard for anyone to open up the mod/map in worldbuilder and remove the Athens city state, add Greece, and just plop them down in the appropriate location, save and your done. I guess I could leave instructions in the OP on the exact details on how to do this if people think it would be useful.

I really just wanted to make an earth map I could have fun playing on at first. It is pretty much there, I've had a blast my last few test runs. I'll be moving on to other projects, most likely only historical scenario/mod type of stuff, where my talents can be used even more efficiently.

smellymummy
Oct 06, 2010, 08:38 PM
how about a river for paris?

Shiggs713
Oct 06, 2010, 08:47 PM
I think we can do that. ;) I haven't quite finished the final map

aimlessgun
Oct 06, 2010, 09:04 PM
I tried my best to give Arabia a decent chance even staying in the historical location. If you hurry for a settler you can probably take the fertile cresent, but have fun either way:)

Yeah the horses would be nice for a warmonger. Deity AI trumped any historical accuracy concerns I had though. I think Arabia is pretty weak if you don't run over to the fertile crescent and then block out Persia from the Iran incense/dye/fish and the Ottomans from the Caspian marble/wine location. Then I backfilled to Mecca.

One thing I am noticing that makes the Arabians weak is that the computer empires are so absurdly large, I cannot trade them my bonus resources from Bazaar because they have everything already :(

OzzyKP
Oct 06, 2010, 10:42 PM
Looks awesome! I can't wait to give it a shot!

aimlessgun
Oct 06, 2010, 11:38 PM
Well here's what I can see at 595 AD (sorry I've not been much of an explorer :( )

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/817/earth1c.jpg (http://img268.imageshack.us/i/earth1c.jpg/)

How the game has gone down so far:

Early:
India invaded Persia and they're down to one city in the Gobi desert somewhere.
Germany and Russia tag teamed the Ottomans, who managed to hold on to Constantinople.
Germany trucked over France, who is reduced to 1 city.
Egypt built tons of wonders, including pyramids! Pretty cool to see the graphic right where it's supposed to be.

Middle:
Russia and Germany squared off in an epic battle of the 2 largest armies. I visited the front: all of eastern europe was completely, and I mean completely, blanketed in soldiers. Things were at a stalemate for a while, but ever-warlike Ghandi took the Russians in the rear, and Cathy went down.

Superpowers: Germany, India
Solid empires: Iroquois, Askia, Ramses
Middling: America, Siam
Could be worse: Romans, Arabians (myself)
Death's door: Persians, French, Ottomans, Russians (dead)
Unmet: Japan, Aztecs

Random notes: If you play Arabia never sign open borders with anyone. Jesus christ. You are at the crossroads of the world, and you will be used and abused as a highway. I could not move around in my own lands half the time, or get workers to the tiles I want to improve. The deals are slowly expiring and things are looking up though.

Anyways I've spammed a bunch of settlers who are on the way to Australia and southeast asian islands, +east africa and Madagascar, I hope this 2nd wave of colonizing will get me back into the game.

ReQuest
Oct 07, 2010, 12:44 AM
1 Little request, could someone make a edited version when v6 is out where the city-state Athens = Greekish civ, and add Babylon cuz i have the DLC, and im a nutcase with the world builder.

haleu
Oct 07, 2010, 12:52 AM
I am playing as Ramesses, gunning for a cultural victory on King difficulty and I'm having an absolute blast.
Having 2 marble really helped me, making it easier for that +100% culture for cities with a wonder policy. I'm using 3 cities and 1 puppet (Aksum).

Something to note from an Egyptian point of view regarding this map:
There are no maritime city states in sight while militaristic city states are plentiful. Also, Aksum is imposing a proper deal on your expansion prospects even if your goal is to only have three cities. Replace Aksum with a maritime Moqdishu perhaps?

Also I noticed the AI in this game doesn't expand overseas. This hurts the European civs alot. I have a juicy Ireland yet to be settled in 1675 AD leaving England at 2 cities.
Japan remains at 3 cities still.

In my opinion this is what breaks the game on earth maps more than anything else. I hope they single out this bug and fix it in the next patch.

Anyway, great map, keep up the good work!

aimlessgun
Oct 07, 2010, 01:06 AM
I am playing as Ramesses, gunning for a cultural victory on King difficulty and I'm having an absolute blast.
Having 2 marble really helped me, making it easier for that +100% culture for cities with a wonder policy. I'm using 3 cities and 1 puppet (Aksum).

Something to note from an Egyptian point of view regarding this map:
There are no maritime city states in sight while militaristic city states are plentiful. Also, Aksum is imposing a proper deal on your expansion prospects even if your goal is to only have three cities. Replace Aksum with a maritime Moqdishu perhaps?

Also I noticed the AI in this game doesn't expand overseas. This hurts the European civs alot. I have a juicy Ireland yet to be settled in 1675 AD leaving England at 2 cities.

In my opinion this is what breaks the game on earth maps more than anything else. I hope they single out this bug and fix it in the next patch.

Anyway, great map, keep up the good work!

Cape Town, Helsinki and Lisbon are all reachable without a great deal of trouble I think...can't have 'em all be maritime! :p

JEELEN
Oct 07, 2010, 04:51 AM
I think we can do that. ;) I haven't quite finished the final map

Oh goodie! Europeīs missing a few rivers yeah. ;)

Egypt built tons of wonders, including pyramids! Pretty cool to see the graphic right where it's supposed to be.

Yeah, I love to build the Pyramids first thing. (Egyptīs my fav civ.) Nice screenie btw! ;)

Random notes: If you play Arabia never sign open borders with anyone. Jesus christ. You are at the crossroads of the world, and you will be used and abused as a highway. I could not move around in my own lands half the time, or get workers to the tiles I want to improve. The deals are slowly expiring and things are looking up though.

I always refuse open borders unless I need to use em myself or can tie em with a defensive pact. (In my current game - as Egypt - I blocked off Africa ASAP by buying 2 tiles; nevertheless, before I could 1 scout got through.)

---

Ah, almost forgot: love v. 5, but Iīm still meeting Majapahit and Budapest in Africa (instead of in Indonesia and Europe)... Also might replace Cape Town by Ulundi.

Anywho, so far this is my fav map.

Jellly
Oct 07, 2010, 06:39 AM
Hey! I've downloaded the latest map and have started a game on Immortal difficulty as Siam. One thing i've noticed is that India expanded east very early (3rd townish was just north of my capital).

I've been expanding in the Oceania area above Australia to avoid conflict with the two dominate powers of China and India (wedged inbetween :S). When I discovered Uranium, I sent some men and a settler to Australia to mine Uranium. When I got there I was shocked, Australia only had 2 (!) uranium in it. :confused:

"Of the world's proven estimated uranium reserves (5,469,000 tonnes), 23% are held in Australia (1,243,000 tonnes), ahead of Kazakhstan (15% or 817,000 tonnes).[1] Other major world reserves are held in the Russian Federation, South Africa, Canada, USA, Brazil and Namibia (37% combined)."

Australia has nearly 1/4 the world's uranium reserves and yet it only has 2 uranium on it?

Jellly
Oct 07, 2010, 06:44 AM

Just thought I'd add that in my game, Japan expanded onto the Chinese mainland for their third city.

Shiggs713
Oct 07, 2010, 07:36 AM
Thank you everyone for you comments and suggestions! I just uploaded version 6. It will almost definitely be the final version at least for a while, but feel free to open it up in worldbuilder and edit it to your hearts content. :)

I just missed your comments Jelly, or I would have added some more Uranium, sorry, I've already uploaded it.

I am still unsure as to why people are encountering city states that should not be there. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you delete any older versions before installing a new one (really this applies for ALL mods), and also ensure that shiggs mod is indeed enabled, you are playing on the Shiggs Earth map, and load scenario is checked. I think i finally got load scenario to be checked by default, but who knows...

Rivers in Europe should be better. I slightly nerfed India, not much. Ancient Ruins are on the map, each civ should be able to get at least one, but there are more available out in the middle of no where. All TXT_KEY issues should be resolved, and civlopedia entries. A few other minor adjustments I made from everyone's suggestions. edited first post

Enjoy,

Shiggs

Jellly
Oct 07, 2010, 07:59 AM
Woo! You're updating so fast I can barely keep up with my games :P

If I opened up the map in World Builder and tinkered the numbers, would it still let my continue on from my old save game?

Shiggs713
Oct 07, 2010, 08:54 AM
yea, and actually the save games should be compatible versions 4-6, it doesn't show that in the browser even though i marked it as so.

Goosey
Oct 07, 2010, 09:09 AM
All the research will take 50% longer on any speed. All the unit and building construction times will take 50% less on any speed. This may need some tweaking or maybe even change other values like the workerbuild % or growth %. Needs testing, but the changes I made are for sure working.

edited first post

Enjoy,

Shiggs[/QUOTE]

is this also in v6? its not the the first page?

Shiggs713
Oct 07, 2010, 09:34 AM
no I removed those changes because some people may not want those changes, but want the map.

I recommended using the Economy mod which does very similar changes, plus a few other cool things. It just makes it easier for everybody I think. Sorry for any confusion.

zeggy
Oct 07, 2010, 01:47 PM
[CENTER][IMG]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii238
Most recent is version 6.
This will likely not be updated again barring any problems

can you release a second version with only destroying your opponents as the possible victory?

Shiggs713
Oct 07, 2010, 02:58 PM
ok, since it only took a couple minutes why not.

Included in the attachments are two map files. To use these they will need to be in your MODS/Shiggs Earth (v6)/Maps folder.

The first one is identical to the the v6 map except domination is the only victory enabled.

The second one is identical to the v6 map except Athens city state is removed and the Greek Civilization is available to play. I didn't add any extra stuff for them, just set their starting location, so the starting locations of Rome, Ottomans, and Greeks may not be as well as some of the others now, because there will be more competition and less room to expand.

I'll add these to the first post as well.

Enjoy,

Shiggs

zeggy
Oct 07, 2010, 04:17 PM
Shiggs..:bowdown::woohoo:

JEELEN
Oct 07, 2010, 05:01 PM
:lol:

Hey Shiggs, would you mind making one with the Ottomans edited out? (Hmmm, come to think of it, it would be really great if the Truks actually started in Central Asia, where they founded their first kingdoms...) :mischief:

riddleofsteel
Oct 07, 2010, 05:01 PM
I'm curious why when I click 'Load Scenario', a few of my setup choices are changed every time. I want to use the custom game speed 'Epic with faster production' on this map but when I click the load scenario box it changes the speed to plain Epic.

JEELEN
Oct 07, 2010, 05:02 PM
You can change it back. (I usually play Quick speed.) ;)

Greeneyedzombie
Oct 07, 2010, 05:08 PM
nvm..

Shiggs713
Oct 07, 2010, 05:20 PM
:lol:

Hey Shiggs, would you mind making one with the Ottomans edited out? (Hmmm, come to think of it, it would be really great if the Truks actually started in Central Asia, where they founded their first kingdoms...) :mischief:

so would you still want the Greeks in as well? And which one, removed or moved to central Asia?

I'm curious why when I click 'Load Scenario', a few of my setup choices are changed every time. I want to use the custom game speed 'Epic with faster production' on this map but when I click the load scenario box it changes the speed to plain Epic.

Its probably because the default speed is epic and the default difficulty is prince. If you are using custom game speed's from other mods then you will either A) always have to do that, or B) open up my map in world builder with the mod you are using and my mod, then go into "scenario editor" and change the default speed. ;)

faratia
Oct 07, 2010, 05:43 PM
Currently playing Rome on a marathon game. (v.5)
downed to 10 civs by 1448AD.(619 turns)

From the start, I tried to settle ASAP in the north-eastern region(around Hungary).
To be honest, it's a must settle position for Rome, and a good place to settle for Germany or Ottoman (and Greece in case of v6 alternative mod). However, Germany and Ottoman can go east if failed to do so, but for Rome and Greece, you're pretty much dead if you failed to settle your 2nd city in that position.

It puts you in an easy position to defend yourself against any civ coming from any direction before reaching your capital.

After that, be prepared for a very long total war from ancient to medieval.
Which is extreamly fun and challenging for France, Germany, Rome, Greece, Ottoman players, who usually face more than 2 civs throughout this period, more if Egypt, Arabia, Persia and Russia joins.

I managed to take Lyon and pushed France into a peace treaty after holding the gap b/w Lyon and Rome until I got my Legion unit out. It's really easy if you put one unit there and another one b/w Rome and Germany to block off German forces.
(I felt like I was cheating after seeing those unit getting bombarded by their city and leveled like hell, 2XP per bombardment.)

Although I managed to hold Germany and France at bay, Ottoman and Persia took Antium just before I can get my Legions there. I took the city back one turn later but all the buildings were destroyed.

After capturing Istanbul and founded Cumae, the eastern front became easy to defend so I can focus on killing off France, Germany, Athens and Madrid.

By the time I controlled most of Europe, Russia was doing ok by expanding eastward.

England remained in England until I gave them captured Oslo.(It was in permanent war status because I killed its allied civ or something so I had to take it down)
Other than that it's not doing much except occasionally declaring war on ppl and lures around other ppl's shoreline.

In Asia, India defeated Siam, and back stabbed Persia while it was fighting me on its western front. Then went up north and took out China, which makes it a great power other than my Rome. Japan being Japan, protected by the ocean and its divine wind.(5000 years lock-down!)

Egypt did ok in North Africa until confronted by India and its city-state allies(Carthage and Aksum), it's funny how it was destroyed by those two city-states without the help from Indian units.

Songhai got 4 cities in central Africa, was harassing Egypt throughout the game before Carthage and Aksum destroyed Egypt. Currently out of reach by most of the civs thanks to the desert, jungle and city-states.

In North America, Iroquois is the strongest civ followed by America, Aztec is struggling with 2 cities.

Basically it's almost impossible for all European civs to survive, however it's really fun while you fight for survival and dominance over Europe.

As for Asia, there's plenty of space and actions for India/Siam/China to expand and fight. However, there's no way to balance itself out once one of them is defeated by another.

In America, most of the time is Iroquois v.s. America, Aztec usually fails on expanding northward.

For Africa, Egypt usually get steam-rolled if it failed to stop those coming from Middle East. But if it does, Egypt will dominated North Africa while Songhai quietly expand without much trouble.

Island nations like England and Japan, I dont think I ever saw the AI bringing settlers overseas, so the only way for them to expand might be capturing enemy cities. But that's AI's fault, not the map itself, so might have to wait for an update or look for an AI fixing mod.

That's all from me :)

faratia
Oct 07, 2010, 06:15 PM
so would you still want the Greeks in as well? And which one, removed or moved to central Asia?

I think it's best to move the Ottoman Empire to central Asia, making it more like Turks in civ4. Need to do some history background checking on it though.

By being in central Asia Ottoman would help on balancing that area, so Asian civ wont go for a giant leap if it manages to defeat another Asian civ.

It also adds a different taste to the power balance around Middle East.

It's the best for the total balance of the game with the civs we got at the moment.
(Although I still think there're not enough Asian civs to make Asia a more competitive area)

or we might have to shove in more city-states in that area to make it harder to expand without trouble.

aimlessgun
Oct 07, 2010, 07:27 PM
Wow faratia, there has really been very little expansion in your game! In my game on Huge the only empty space is South America, Australia, extreme eastern siberia, and the bottom 1/3rd of africa. Everything else is blanketed over by 1300 AD And not by me, certainly.

EDIT: screenie. Hard to see India because of their color but they've landgrabbed most of Siberia!

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2492/earth2.jpg (http://img825.imageshack.us/i/earth2.jpg/)

Shiggs713
Oct 07, 2010, 07:53 PM
I wonder why in the world your mini map looks like that faratia. :confused:

Interesting feedback. Thanks :)

faratia
Oct 08, 2010, 02:33 AM
Wow faratia, there has really been very little expansion in your game! In my game on Huge the only empty space is South America, Australia, extreme eastern siberia, and the bottom 1/3rd of africa. Everything else is blanketed over by 1300 AD And not by me, certainly.

EDIT: screenie. Hard to see India because of their color but they've landgrabbed most of Siberia!

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/2492/earth2.jpg (http://img825.imageshack.us/i/earth2.jpg/)

what game speed were you on?
I think the slow expansion problem I encountered might be because of marathon's overall settings. I might have to pickup a marathon mod to enhance unit training speed or something like that.

JEELEN
Oct 08, 2010, 05:36 AM

Greeks in! :D

I think it's best to move the Ottoman Empire to central Asia, making it more like Turks in civ4. Need to do some history background checking on it though.

By being in central Asia Ottoman would help on balancing that area, so Asian civ wont go for a giant leap if it manages to defeat another Asian civ.

It also adds a different taste to the power balance around Middle East.

I agree up til here. I tend to notice the Asian civs expanding upward. With a Turk civ there that might counteract a bit (since there are no Mongols in - hmmm, another idea...). ;)

riddleofsteel
Oct 08, 2010, 01:18 PM
You can change it back. (I usually play Quick speed.) ;)

For some reason I cannot choose Epic pace with Faster Production from the main setup menu. Only plain old Epic is available.

For those who've played this map as England, where on mainland Europe did you invade/settle? I have too little iron on my brave little island as it is. Though I have a beautiful navy (veteran fighters) and the current high score on the map.

aimlessgun
Oct 08, 2010, 02:39 PM
For some reason I cannot choose Epic pace with Faster Production from the main setup menu. Only plain old Epic is available.

For those who've played this map as England, where on mainland Europe did you invade/settle? I have too little iron on my brave little island as it is. Though I have a beautiful navy (veteran fighters) and the current high score on the map.

The easiest thing would probably be to do what the British actually did in real life: forget mainland Europe, settle a global empire.

tonberry
Oct 08, 2010, 03:03 PM
I like the map but I would like to do a little tweak on it so if anyone can help me.

Suppose I'd like mod the map so that wonder are always built at their correct location (Eiffel Tower in Paris, Big Ben in London, etc.) is there a way to do it?

I know it would kind of remove the fun of building wonder but I'd like to try it as it would add another layer of historical accuracy to the game.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any info on how to do that.

Shiggs713
Oct 08, 2010, 03:16 PM
you would almost have to make them disabled for everyone except the civ you wanted to have each wonder, tonberry. not too much work I suppose, but not a 5 minute fix either.

tonberry
Oct 08, 2010, 06:47 PM
Is anyone experiencing a crash when you want to choose a civ using this map? The first time I play this, I use the default civ (Aztec) but now, each time I want to choose another civ, the game crash.

I haven't made any modifications yet btw.

edit: ok nvm, my game crash each time I try to choose a civ and I'm loading a mods so it's not this map in particular that is problematic.

faratia
Oct 09, 2010, 02:03 AM

If you want iron there's plenty of them in Scandinavia, you'll just have to bully some city states or settle in a little north
(those city states hated each other anyway, so you might even grab some influence by killing one of them)

Ravellion
Oct 09, 2010, 09:46 AM
Is all Iron/Horse only 1 resource? Hated having only 1 horseman as the turks.

ReQuest
Oct 09, 2010, 11:39 AM
You know what could be cool if you added the Vikings, Zulu, Inca, Spanish, Carthegean etc. as civ to fill the empty spaces and give a more differance experience and gameplay.

Shiggs713
Oct 09, 2010, 11:41 AM
Is all Iron/Horse only 1 resource? Hated having only 1 horseman as the turks.

No, all the strategic resources should be at least 2, most of them are 3 or 4. If any are 1 its because I missed it.

Stacmon
Oct 10, 2010, 05:52 AM
Hello all,

Shigg, thank you for all of your work on the map, in several ways, I like this one more than the other Earth maps currently out there. The terrain and resource placement in particular are real strengths for this mod. However, there are two particular items that I think are worth bringing up.

Abundance of Militaristic City States

As some others have mentioned, there seem to be too many militaristic city states compared to cultured and maritime ones. This is a particular issue for Arabia and Egypt, because it is virtually impossible to find a non-militaristic city state within their sphere. Consider that of the following cities which surround them, none are cultured or maritime:

Almaty (Central Asia)
Sidon (Lebanon/Syria)
Aksum (Ethiopia)
Carthage (Tunisia/North Africa)
Madrid (Spain)
Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo/West Africa)
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania/East Africa)

This makes it very difficult for Civilizations in the Middle East and Africa to pursue strategies that rely on city states. My suggestion would be to make at least the following changes:

Aksum ---> Cultured
The Aksumite Empire was the first major empire to officially adopt Christianity. The city of Aksum was once a bustling metropolis, cultural and economic center within the Kingdom. They were well renowned for their impressive palace and their cemeteries because of the elaborate grave stones (stelae and obelisks)

Dar es Salaam ---> Maritime
The African East Coast, including the area of modern day Dar es Salaam, was heavily connected to the world through maritime trade. These connections were especially strong with the Muslim (Arab/Egyptian, Persian) and Indian Empires. In fact, these maritime trading relationships are a large explanation for the large proportion of Muslims in the region. During the colonial period, the German East Africa Company established a station there, which facilitated the town's growth as the administrative and commercial centre of German East Africa.

I would say that those two changes would make a considerable improvement. Additional modifications would be welcome too, but I see the above as a priority. If you wanted to go one step further, I would also recommend:

Either Sidon or Carthage ---> Maritime
The Phoenicians (Sidon and Tyre), dominated large parts of the Eastern Mediterranean. Their major cities were largely coastal and their trade was predominantly naval.

Later, when Phoenician settlers founded Carthage, it quickly grew as a maritime power in the Western Mediterranean. This control of the sea is actually what brought it in conflict with distant Rome and led Carthage to settle areas of modern day Spain and Sicily.

If you would rather not change Sidon (because the vanilla version of the game by default makes it militaristic), then Carthage would be the appropriate choice (and equally logical as a maritime state).

Also, if you feel this would raise the number of maritime states too much (though I don't feel this is the case), you could consider changing one of the Nordic city states from Maritime to Militaristic. Let's not forget how aggressive and militarily important the Vikings have traditionally been!

Location of the Persian Capital

I also wanted to note that the current location for Persepolis is a bit off. Currently it is located a bit too far East, very close to modern day Pakistan and India. This, in my opinion, leads to too little contact/interaction between them and the civilizations of the Middle East/Mediterranean. Moving it westward on the Iranian plateau would therefore improve realism further.

Here is a map that can help demonstrate the location.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f5/PersepolisMap.png

So thank you again for all the effort and the ongoing updates. I hope that you find some of these comments useful.

Shiggs713
Oct 10, 2010, 09:24 AM
Wow, thanks for such a detailed post Stacmon! It'll probably be awhile (busy with real life and other things), but sometime in the future I will update this again, and will take all your suggestions under serious consideration.

Stacmon
Oct 10, 2010, 07:16 PM
Wow, thanks for such a detailed post Stacmon! It'll probably be awhile (busy with real life and other things), but sometime in the future I will update this again, and will take all your suggestions under serious consideration.

No problem, I'm happy you found some of it helpful.

Shortly after writing that post, I decided to see if I could make the changes myself. I modified the map file to move the Persian capital and also made two more minor changes. The updated Persian starting location was on top of an incense resource, which I repositioned one tile East. I also moved the location of the dye in Mesopotamia (Modern Day Iraq) one square to the Southeast, to allow (Arab) players the ability to found a historically accurate Baghdad, without having to do it on the resource.

In your XML file which included the new city states, I made all of the changes that I outlined. Specifically, Aksum became cultured, Dar Es Salaam became maritime and Carthage was also changed to Maritime.

Ironically, my choice to move the Persians and hope that they would be more involved in Middle East conflicts turned to be my downfall in a recent game. I founded Baghdad as my second city, frustrated them by locating so close by and had an insufficient army when our relations soured too much and they decided to invade. It was a very exciting game!

Since you seemed receptive towards the changes I suggested, I've attached these files in case you would like to use any part of them in an update. I also thought it might be worthwhile in case players in the meantime were interested in the same tweaks as I was. Feel free to use as much or as little as you think is appropriate, Shigg. It's your mod after all and I'm just trying to provide my own feedback.

To install, simply unpack the archive and replace the existing files in the mod's directory.

Thanks again for this, I think it also may be the only Earth Map Mod, that does not persistently crash at some point for players (some of the others seem to have unrecoverable crashes and there's no telling yet why).

JEELEN
Oct 10, 2010, 11:54 PM
True.

Itīs a pity I started a game as the English or Iīd have started on your map update. :goodjob:

I just finished a Science victory with Egpyt, while China was trying to conquer the world (they already dominated Asia, Europe and Africa after finishing off the Romans. Before, the Romans had taken care of the French, Germans and Russians and were about to do the same to Mali - which ended up with 3 cities in Southern Africa -, when they decided to try the same with China. They actually took took Mecca and Istanbul - the Turks were long gone and the Persians had ousted the Arabs from Asia -, but then basically got steamrolled. The Chinese were into Future Tech way before me and because of their constant expansion were highest in score. (And yes, you can take cities with Choppers.)

aimlessgun
Oct 11, 2010, 12:40 AM
Abundance of Militaristic City States[/SIZE]

As some others have mentioned, there seem to be too many militaristic city states compared to cultured and maritime ones. This is a particular issue for Arabia and Egypt, because it is virtually impossible to find a non-militaristic city state within their sphere.

I strongly disagree with this.

For maritimes you have Lisbon, Cape Town, Helsinki and Oslo all extremely easy to contact from a position in Egypt or the Middle East. No, they're not directly next to you, but is that a real issue? Some cursory exploration with a Trireme will get you Singapore, that other Indonesian CS, Seoul, and the Australian states.

I mean since I doubt youre buying up city states during the very first part of the game anyways, it's not like it matters that you meet them a little later than the military states that are on your doorstep.

Anyways just speaking from experience: I had no issue with finding and allying with Maritime and Cultural city states, playing as Arabia.

V. Soma
Oct 11, 2010, 01:26 AM
Um, I had the version with Greece downloaded via CFC attachment in the OP (Steam mod browser isnot working for me)

Problem:
I start the game (load as scenario), it loads, then black screen and exe fail... is this dx9 problem? or sg. else?

Stacmon
Oct 11, 2010, 05:19 AM
I strongly disagree with this.

For maritimes you have Lisbon, Cape Town, Helsinki and Oslo all extremely easy to contact from a position in Egypt or the Middle East. No, they're not directly next to you, but is that a real issue? Some cursory exploration with a Trireme will get you Singapore, that other Indonesian CS, Seoul, and the Australian states.

I mean since I doubt youre buying up city states during the very first part of the game anyways, it's not like it matters that you meet them a little later than the military states that are on your doorstep.

Anyways just speaking from experience: I had no issue with finding and allying with Maritime and Cultural city states, playing as Arabia.

While I see what you're saying, I still think that some Maritime city states are necessary in the Mediterranean and Near East. As it stands, Lisbon is the only one even relatively nearby and it is located on the Atlantic. There is far too heavy a weight in Northern Europe (Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki) and any one of these (especially Oslo) could be justifiably changed to militaristic.

With regards to cultured city states, they are a rarity in the region. Aksum really seems like it would be appropriate as cultured.

In the end, there are two issues. One is functionality. I agree that the map is certainly still playable without any changes to the city state traits. However, I think most of us would agree that the proportion of militaristic to non-militaristic city states is too high (a simple count can confirm this).

The second issue is one of realism and historical accuracy. At least from my perspective, I find it a lot more pleasurable as the Arabs, Egyptians, Ottomans or Persians to ally with Aksum or Athens for culture, rather than Seoul or Lhasa in the Far East, and to ally with Carthage or Dar Es Salaam rather than Helsinki or Cape Town (which players really shouldn't even reach by sea until the colonial era) for a maritime partner.

The key here is an even distribution so that the whole world doesn't have to be allied with a Viking city to get maritime bonuses :lol:.

In any case, we are all different players with different interests and expectations. Of course it is impossible to perfectly please us all :crazyeye:.

Shiggs713
Oct 11, 2010, 06:34 AM
Um, I had the version with Greece downloaded via CFC attachment in the OP (Steam mod browser isnot working for me)

Problem:
I start the game (load as scenario), it loads, then black screen and exe fail... is this dx9 problem? or sg. else?

it also requires the mod. You have to have the Shiggs Earth mod installed as well for any of those two maps to work. It likely crashed because it tried to find the city states I added, and you didn't have them.

V. Soma
Oct 11, 2010, 07:08 AM
it also requires the mod. You have to have the Shiggs Earth mod installed as well for any of those two maps to work. It likely crashed because it tried to find the city states I added, and you didn't have them.

..and as I cannot get the mod one via online hub (buggy or what), so what gives then? :)
can I download it from elsewhere?

Shiggs713
Oct 11, 2010, 07:11 AM
I haven't uploaded it anywhere else, I suppose I could for people that are having issues with the mod browser. I updated the first post to be more clear that those maps are not stand alone. I'll add the mod to the db here and post a link in the first post here in a few minutes.

Shiggs713
Oct 11, 2010, 07:21 AM
there you go V. Soma ;)

V. Soma
Oct 11, 2010, 07:30 AM
there you go V. Soma ;)

Thanks, I will give it a shot, next week (I am playing another game now).
I know many people have issues with the Steam hub as of now...

Another question:
how about waiting times inbetween turns?
I read that the game suffers it, maybe because of badly programmed AI workers

Shiggs713
Oct 11, 2010, 07:32 AM
i haven't experienced any major delays, usually just 1 or 2 seconds in between turns. It is a huge map with 40 teams though, so probably only mid to higher end rigs can play it without a bunch of lag.

Omega124
Oct 11, 2010, 08:58 AM
What? Carthage should stay Militaristic!

First of all, just because the empre is on the sea doesn't mean it has to be maritime. I mean, when you think of Carthage, you generally think of the Punic Wars, not the build-up to them. Also, Hannibal. The March of the Alps? His Elephants? And you want them giving food out? I see them militaristic, not maritime just for that.

Stacmon
Oct 11, 2010, 10:27 AM

First of all, just because the empre is on the sea doesn't mean it has to be maritime. I mean, when you think of Carthage, you generally think of the Punic Wars, not the build-up to them. Also, Hannibal. The March of the Alps? His Elephants? And you want them giving food out? I see them militaristic, not maritime just for that.

That certainly is a fair argument, but I think the case for them being maritime is nevertheless quite strong.

I would be fine with Carthage staying militaristic so long as Sidon for example is changed to maritime. Either the Phoenicians (Sidon) or Carthaginians should be recognized as a naval people :lol: and the Mediterranean sure could use at least one maritime city state.

Grongus
Oct 11, 2010, 02:29 PM
i haven't experienced any major delays, usually just 1 or 2 seconds in between turns. It is a huge map with 40 teams though, so probably only mid to higher end rigs can play it without a bunch of lag.

Are you serious? :p I really like your map but daaaamn the wait is long. I think I'm at like 1650 AD playing at normal speed and yeah... I think the time between turns is something like 2-3 minutes.

Haven't got the best computer out there but it's decent :)

Other than that I would love to see some changes esp. in Europe: (well I have only played with England and France so far)

Britain should have coal, Norway should not.

Norway/Sweden looks kinda goofy imo.

Maybe remove Lisbon/Madrid or Oslo/Stockholm to allow some European civs to have one more city at the start.

Remove the Central american city state, don't remember the name but it's called Tiqal i think. I think it really prevents the North american AI to expand to South america.

Remove the mountain in Central america that maybe prevents the AI to expand southwards becuase it has to embark around it.

Got lots of more small additions/removals about the map but I guess you won't keep updating too much now :p and maybe I can do that myself if I want to. Dunno how the worldbuilder works etc, I just wanna play!

Add lots of more civs but I guess that's kinda complicated.

jonmar
Oct 11, 2010, 04:51 PM
I have a weird bug with this map that I haven't seen before with any other mod. When I go save my game, I don't see my save files in the list. Not my own or the autosaves/quicksaves. I can save the game and when I go to "Load Game" the save is there and all is fine. Basically it's just the list of saved games in the "Save Game" page that doesn't show up.

It's no biggie though, since saving works.

Shiggs713
Oct 11, 2010, 05:00 PM
I have a weird bug with this map that I haven't seen before with any other mod. When I go save my game, I don't see my save files in the list. Not my own or the autosaves/quicksaves. I can save the game and when I go to "Load Game" the save is there and all is fine. Basically it's just the list of saved games in the "Save Game" page that doesn't show up.

It's no biggie though, since saving works.

yea, I've experienced the same thing, I have no idea why its doing that, though I actually have had the same thing in other mods. There's really hardly any modding in this mod, just added 13 city states and a map, so I don't really have an explanation for it, perhaps its a global bug.

Stacmon
Oct 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
Here's a tip to properly save files until a permanent solution is found:

Check the "Steam Cloud" button and save them into the steam cloud. This is the temporary work around I have used and I seem to have been successful. Keep in mind it requires a connection to the internet/steam while playing.

JEELEN
Oct 12, 2010, 12:26 AM

All of the 3 Punic Wars were started by Rome, not Carthage. Carthage wasnīt militaristic at all, it relied for a large part on mercenaries. And Hannibal acted without the knowledge or consent of Carthage and was refused all help when in Italy, despite repeated requests.

Are you serious? :p I really like your map but daaaamn the wait is long. I think I'm at like 1650 AD playing at normal speed and yeah... I think the time between turns is something like 2-3 minutes.

Haven't got the best computer out there but it's decent :)

Other than that I would love to see some changes esp. in Europe: (well I have only played with England and France so far)

Britain should have coal, Norway should not.

Norway/Sweden looks kinda goofy imo.

Maybe remove Lisbon/Madrid or Oslo/Stockholm to allow some European civs to have one more city at the start.

Remove the Central american city state, don't remember the name but it's called Tiqal i think. I think it really prevents the North american AI to expand to South america.

Remove the mountain in Central america that maybe prevents the AI to expand southwards becuase it has to embark around it.

Got lots of more small additions/removals about the map but I guess you won't keep updating too much now :p and maybe I can do that myself if I want to. Dunno how the worldbuilder works etc, I just wanna play!

Add lots of more civs but I guess that's kinda complicated.

Same here (only my PC is well above specs; the graphics however are a major strain on my card, it seems). I usually have from 30 secs-1 min in between turns, no matter if I play as is or modded.

Yep, definitely Coal in Britain (havenīt gotten that far yet). No Coal in Britain is a no-no.

Iīm opposed to removing existing city states; theyīre fine where they are and add a nice historical flavour.

Same with the Central American mountain. It can be easily embarked around. (And if the AI doesnīt, itīs because they donīt want to - or are just that stupid. Iīve seen a placement of Mt Fuji blocking off the north of Japan and they never settled it; now thatīs weird...)

Jellly
Oct 12, 2010, 12:49 AM
Maybe we could compile all the little changes we want into one and then somebody could just mod them in? I'm not too bad on the world builder, I modded shiggs to include correct uranium distribution and it would be pretty easy to mod other resources to correct distributions/locations.

ByblosHex
Oct 12, 2010, 03:10 PM
Downloaded it and Playing it. Loving it.

Pablod
Oct 12, 2010, 09:51 PM
no horses in america
it's call MUSTANG

ljofthemm
Oct 14, 2010, 11:39 AM
Great map! Thanks for all your efforts!

I'm playing as America on normal difficulty. I have just made contact with the Old World, and it seems England and Rome are dominating Europe, while Persia has the largest land empire in the world (I am in second). France, Egypt, Arabia, Russia, and the Turks are all eliminated. Really enjoying your work!

*Update: Seems the Brits have conquered France, Germany, and Lisboa. Rome has conquered Athens, Madrid, and almost Carthage. Persia has conquered Arabia, Egypt, Turks, and the Russians. Fittingly, Rome has its Mediterranean Empire. It was odd to see Persian and British troops fighting in Poland and Western Russia.

ReQuest
Oct 15, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hello,

Could you (or someone else) make a version where you add extra civs?
You could combine it with Hukkak's extra civ pack and add civs in the empty spaces, and places where is enough room for one more civ (par example, scandinavia had enough room for The Vikings) otherwise the default civs will settle in these lands making than hugely overpowered. expacialy parts of Asia, Africa, Oceania, and South Africa could use these extra civs.

ByblosHex
Oct 15, 2010, 04:30 PM
So far in my current game as America on Shigg's Earth map I've been doing really well in all aspects of the game. Once in a while my gold will be a -gpt amount, but my total Gold amount has never gotten to 0, even without being in a Golden Age or having any Gold focused cities.

I've found it useful in time of excess spending (like when you need to field an army) to trade your duplicate Luxury resources to other Civilization for increased gpt. All of my Cities are pretty balanced in what they produce, none are entirely focused on one type of production, and a few of them already have all possible buildings built and the others are catching up in that aspect. I simply ensure my Happiness is high enough to support a new city (around 10 excess happiness) before I build a new city, and do the same for my gpt and buildings. As I get more gpt, I build more buildings. First I build Food increasing buildings, and then Gold increasing buildings, Production, Culture and Science. I've only been to war once, with the Aztecs when they attacked me, I fought back and started capturing cities and they offered to make Peace, gave me Luxury resources, GPT and offered me one of their own cities, lol.

I recently started scouting the Old World with my Caravels. Which I regret because now these other nations are constantly harrassing me with their requests for Luxury resources, Pacts of Secrecy, Open Borders and crap. India seems to be in control of most of the old world. China is definitely gone. England, Askia's Civilization and the Saimese are doing pretty well. I'm going for a science victory and so far I'm the only one in the Idustrial era.

ljofthemm
Oct 15, 2010, 10:43 PM
That's crazy Byblos, I don't think India has expanded much in my game. I haven't met him, yet. Siam settled all of the Indian subcontinent, and I haven't sent any land units in to scout out Eurasia. Rome is down to Eastern Europe and Athens. Persia lost its homeland to Siam, and England is pretty much the EU (still conquering Rome). I know Germany is still in, but they too are landlocked somewhere in Eurasia. I am the only civ in the Modern Era and have gold reserves in excess of 5k. I've finished the Liberty policy tree, one left on Freedom, a couple from Commerce to boost the economy, and now I'm blazing through Rationalism (a new policy takes about 10 turns). I built only a select few of the early wonders, instead focusing on production and eco buildings (I like building production buildings first so that I spend less time overall on my turn per building ratio). I really used America's trait early on to shield of the Iroquois, then purchased an army of Minutemen to sweep into Aztec controlled Texas, California, and the rest of the SW. I liberated Tikal (nice culture boost to further speed up my rapid policy expansion) and left Monty with his Estados Unidos de Mexico. I used three GAs to land grab Alaska, and my Manifest Destiny is complete. Working on building the Panama Canal!

Shiggs, I love your map! My only suggestion is to possibly incorporate Rhye's style of Europe. With a slighty enlarged Europe, the Greeks might be a playable Civ. Oh, and I am all for no Horse in the Americas.

JEELEN
Oct 15, 2010, 11:23 PM
Not that crazy. India usually does ok, but in my current game they dominate Eurasia and have 7 cities in Africa (just like good old England me); they eliminated Siam, Persia and Egypt, are about to do the same to China (taking over their role in my previous game) and are first into future tech. The European civs seem to cramped (2 or 3 usually get eliminated), and England and Japan usually just stay in and around their island base (Iīm using Transports mod with this game, but still noone seems to cross oceans...). France, Germany, Russia, America and the Iroquois are also long gone (the Aztec control all of North and Central America); the rest is down to 6 cities or less. I just founded my 2nd city in South America (to grab some extra Coal, Oil and Aluminium) and built my first Spaceship part. Oh yeah, I got 13 Wonders now, (a bit less then in my previous game, India has 3), and Open Borders/Defense Pact with Aztec - which I used to have with India until they grew really large (Iīm now getting "Thatīs not even close to a fair deal" from them...).

Could you (or someone else) make a version where you add extra civs?

:agree:

tonberry
Oct 16, 2010, 12:41 AM
I'm sure it's simple but I can't figure it out...

if I want to use another map with your mod (apply the city-states you created on a map of mine) how do I do?

six blade knife
Oct 16, 2010, 01:45 AM
Not that crazy.

I agree, in my game playing king difficulty as arabia, india is the second power of the world. it took every china's cities and if we weren't neighbour i think indians would have been in africa. but heh .. I can't allow that, can I ? :trouble:

anyway shiggs, thanks for the map, having lot of fun with it =)

Shiggs713
Oct 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
I'm sure it's simple but I can't figure it out...

if I want to use another map with your mod (apply the city-states you created on a map of mine) how do I do?

you just need to have the Shiggs Earth mod enabled when you go into world builder and you should be able to place any of them. ;)

And to anyone, feel free to modify the map and make fixes/updates to it. I'm sure its not perfect, in fact I'm considering making a few changes, mainly to keep the pathfinding AI from having so much work. I'm thinking do some updates that have already been suggested here in this thread, and also covering Antarctica completely in ice, and maybe more of the north pole region too, to keep the barbs from spawning in completely useless places, just eating up cpu power for nothing.

I finally played a game almost all the way through, I actually couldn't finish it because the game kept crashing randomly, I think my graphics card couldn't handle it once I had almost the entire map uncovered. I had to keep switching into strategic view to even play once I got into the 1900's. Its kinda odd, it literally takes 1-2 seconds in between turns until about 1600, then it gets a little slower, by 1900 it was taking nearly 30 seconds, and I'm pretty sure the pathfinding AI is responsible for most of this lag.

It was a epic game, started as England, conquered pretty much all of Europe. I had all the surrounding city states as my allies, so 7 in total, pretty crazy maritime bonuses. I've realized Paris is without a doubt the best city on the map. I just don't understand how the AI france never does anything, that city just has so much potential, I think when I finally gave up trying to play, Paris was producing something ridiculous like 80 hammers a turn. I made the Eiffel Tower in like 10 turns with no great engineer. It was all but over anyways, I had fighters and bomber being produced and most of the world was still using rifles, and that was on Standard/Emperor.

to my surprise the Aztecs completely dominated the western hemisphere! I had a defensive pact with them too, it was kinda odd, Monty being so friendly with me. It was basically down to me, Egypt, China, and the Aztecs, we all pretty much owned our own continents, it reminded me of the late game in risk, each of us turtling in our own continent waiting for someone to mess up.

tonberry
Oct 16, 2010, 06:04 PM
you just need to have the Shiggs Earth mod enabled when you go into world builder and you should be able to place any of them. ;)

Damn, I'm stupid lol. Thanks!

"post edited because I found the solution to my problem"

Shiggs713
Oct 17, 2010, 02:18 AM
Just thought I'd share some of my last game, specifically what I've done with Paris, the best city on the map... ;) this is with Statue of Liberty, tons of maritime bonuses, some policies that improve yields, and amidst a golden age. I figured it was proper though, since I spent almost the last 40 turns of the game in a golden age. Just thought I'd show this cause it was pretty ridiculous. This is with the Economy mod on, but still...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=269021&stc=1&d=1287303466

ByblosHex
Oct 17, 2010, 07:57 AM
Something very cool just happened to me in my current game. I had always been at war with the Aztecs off and on. After they attacked me in the past and took New York I responded by recapturing New York and then proceeding to raze their cities one at a time until they offered Peace with great benifits and a free city to me. That was 1,000 years ago, and the Aztecs never recovered. They're blocked by me to the North and by Tikal to the south. They've also been at war with the Iroquois off and on throughout the game and since I have the land under my control they've only been able to attack eachother with few embarked units at a time. (By the way, the AI really needs to learn to make a Navy. I haven't seen anyone with any Naval units at all except me and India had a single Caravel.)

The Aztecs are the only known Civ with whales in my game, and they absolutely refuse to trade them to me, even if I offer 3 lux resources and excess strategy resources. Montezuma just hates my guts, lol. So, after a few years I got to the point where all but 1 of my cities demands whales. So I went to war with and quickly annihilated the Aztec Empire.

Here's where it get's interesting... after that, I started to disband my Longswordsmen to save on the upkeep costs. I disbanded them to all but a few units and suddenly the Iroquois who took notice of this attacked me with hordes of spearmen, crossbowmen, and mowhawk warriors. Killing my Warriors and attacking my cities. Fortunately I'm at the point where my cities shoot rockets at attackers, I have a frigate with the range promotion near my capital and I can train Minutemen in just a few turns. After killing off their massive army they begged me for peace... and so it continues. :goodjob:

ljofthemm
Oct 17, 2010, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I never trusted Hiawatha after his initial attemp to invade, and ever since I annihilated his army in the ancient era, I've had a general and some troops posted up on the border as a deterrant. Y turns left until our American spaceship is complete!

JEELEN
Oct 17, 2010, 12:55 PM
Just thought I'd share some of my last game, specifically what I've done with Paris, the best city on the map... ;) this is with Statue of Liberty, tons of maritime bonuses, some policies that improve yields, and amidst a golden age. I figured it was proper though, since I spent almost the last 40 turns of the game in a golden age. Just thought I'd show this cause it was pretty ridiculous. This is with the Economy mod on, but still...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=269021&stc=1&d=1287303466

:D Pretty impressive. But whatīs with these white blobs that keep popping up in certain Coast tiles? :confused:

Shiggs713
Oct 18, 2010, 07:41 AM
:D Pretty impressive. But whatīs with these white blobs that keep popping up in certain Coast tiles? :confused:

I dunno why, but whenever I take screenshots, any coastal improvement looks like that. Its also worth noting I only had 4 cities and was producing over 1000 science per turn. I only had 4 cities because I originally set out to do a cultural victory. Vertical growth can be just as good though, if your set up for it.

Omega124
Oct 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
Alruight, Mongolia is going to be free DLC, and Bayblon is going to be released to the general public. Any chance of adding those two civs? I know there's definitly room for Mongolia, and due to Asia's politics, and how they unfold (China or Siam becomes a superstate and conquors everything in sight while Japan turtles onto its islands and India just, well, dies), they desperatly need a new civ, especailly such a militaristic one. Bayblon there might not be room for, but it still would be cool to add them in. I would also love if you update the Greece version of this mod with those two civs. a 20 civ game would be flipping hardcore.

Shiggs713
Oct 18, 2010, 06:19 PM
Alruight, Mongolia is going to be free DLC, and Bayblon is going to be released to the general public. Any chance of adding those two civs? I know there's definitly room for Mongolia, and due to Asia's politics, and how they unfold (China or Siam becomes a superstate and conquors everything in sight while Japan turtles onto its islands and India just, well, dies), they desperatly need a new civ, especailly such a militaristic one. Bayblon there might not be room for, but it still would be cool to add them in. I would also love if you update the Greece version of this mod with those two civs. a 20 civ game would be flipping hardcore.

maybe, I wasn't aware that these were being released for free. I agree Japan and England both suck as AI's, but blame firaxis for that. Bablyon I doubt would make it in though just because there's really not room, arabia would be doomed if they couldn't expand into the fertile crescent. I disagree that India just dies, really almost every game I've had is different, my last game as France, the Iroquois and India were dominating the earth, probably even like 500 in score ahead of me, even though I won. The game before that, it was Aztecs and China, before that America and Siam... really the only civs I see constantly getting pawned is Arabia and Songhai. Egypt I think is too powerful, almost every game they conquer all of africa and found like 50 cities on it, and are really quite powerful, but due to the AI being dumb and all the terrain and such, they only have a tiny chance of invading anything outside of africa.

koskesh
Oct 18, 2010, 07:46 PM
I'm having a couple of strange bugs.. I had deleted Sidon and added the Hebrew civ at that location. Been at war with the Ottomans for a few turns, at the behest of Bismarck.

Now Bismarck ends our PoC, Suleiman asks me for a Pact of Secrecy against Rome (WTF aren't I at war with Suleiman?!)and each time I End Turn peace is made with Ottomans. My units removed from within his borders. I DOW, attack, End Turn, Peace. Can't seem to keep the war on.. Bismarck is still at war with him.

The other thing is the city attack button stays lit up after attacking.

Update: Having given up on that bugged game, I tried to start a new one, but this time I couldn't select Hebrews AND load scenario together. I opened the map in WB, the extra player was there, as was the starting location, but no longer assigned to a civ. I assigned it to Hebrews again, saved and restarted. Still no Hebrews. I can only select them without loading scenario, but then I lose the TSL etc.

Curious that it worked the first time, Hebrew player, scenario loaded, but bugged wars. Any help in adding a player made civ to this map would be appreciated.

hammypants
Oct 20, 2010, 01:26 AM
Ever consider using http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15617 to make a bigger map?

V. Soma
Oct 20, 2010, 02:11 AM
How about letting each civ have a certain amount of workers only? 1-2-3?
There are mods to it... perhaps it would be good against lagging...

like as I read it:

It's been discovered that large amounts of workers are what slows down the enemy turns the most. See http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94139 and http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94687 for evidence and discussion. This mod is a "speed hack" to allow playing large maps without turns taking several minutes later in the game.

1) Limits all civs to ONE worker. Can't build more if you have at least one. Note that you can still capture workers as before to gain more.

2) As compensation, gives workers 4 moves, not 2. Also, all work is done much faster. Most things take a base of 2 turns now. Roads, pillage repair, road removal, and clearing forests take just 1 turn. Oil wells take 3.

Yes, we're aware that this distorts balance significantly at the beginning, and if you happen to capture a lot of enemy workers! Until we get a proper patch, consider this an experimental alternative. You can report feedback in the above threads.
--

You can grab this at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C49OY79K. It's a WinRAR file, extract into your Mods directory (probably in your Documents/My Games).

Shiggs713
Oct 20, 2010, 07:29 AM
How about letting each civ have a certain amount of workers only? 1-2-3?
There are mods to it... perhaps it would be good against lagging...

like as I read it:

It's been discovered that large amounts of workers are what slows down the enemy turns the most. See http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94139 and http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94687 for evidence and discussion. This mod is a "speed hack" to allow playing large maps without turns taking several minutes later in the game.

1) Limits all civs to ONE worker. Can't build more if you have at least one. Note that you can still capture workers as before to gain more.

2) As compensation, gives workers 4 moves, not 2. Also, all work is done much faster. Most things take a base of 2 turns now. Roads, pillage repair, road removal, and clearing forests take just 1 turn. Oil wells take 3.

Yes, we're aware that this distorts balance significantly at the beginning, and if you happen to capture a lot of enemy workers! Until we get a proper patch, consider this an experimental alternative. You can report feedback in the above threads.
--

You can grab this at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C49OY79K. It's a WinRAR file, extract into your Mods directory (probably in your Documents/My Games).

yea I'm aware of the lack of optimization on the worker code. I'll consider it, its a really easy fix.

ByblosHex
Oct 20, 2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah, a Limit on workers would be a very good idea. Can you make it 1 worker per city, max? Anything beyond that is excessive anyway.

Frosted
Oct 21, 2010, 09:41 AM
Had to register to tell you what a great map this is. The standard maps shipped with the game are quite boring to play. Your map has been very action packed and seems to be quite balanced as far as starts go.

I am playing Russia right now and I initially believed there to be inadequate iron for the Russian start position, but realized that your map forces the diplomacy options onto players which I believe is a good feature. Ordinarily I would just colonize a hex that had iron close to it, but in my current game I had to bend my strategy around what was available and what was not. Being forced to play a the game based on where you start and resources available is what the standard maps lack(most resources are available near by) and what your map excels at. In my current game I had to go heavy horse units early and trade/ally CS for the iron.

I also enjoyed the tighter quarters to my neighbors, it creates tension and makes it all that more important to make settlement at key times in strategic locations. In my current game for the first 200 turns I was embroiled in wars with every player that resided in Europe and the Middle East. I slowly started to crawl south into Arabian and Persian lands. I hadn't scouted India for a long time so we signed an open borders agreement and the next turn I had Ghandi storming 20ish units of musketmen into Africa to kill off Songhai and what was left of Arabia. I decided he was getting to powerful so I basically blockaded his army into Africa and declared war. Sidon was a huge help in dismantling his army and I used Almaty as home base for my second front.

Its too bad the game is so buggy right now. I am at permanent peace with the Persians now for some reason and they happened to settle on a fairly important choke point that will be important when the Japanese decide to move more inward.

Anyway great map, here are my questions;

Playing a North American start seems like it would be quite boring. Do you or other people have a reason why, other than being a particular Civ, it would be fun to start over there?

Have you ever thought of getting rid of Napoleon/Bismark/Elizabeth, to give more room to these Civs, and removing one of Oslo/Stockholm/Helsinki and replacing them with a Nordic/Viking Civ?

Alki
Oct 22, 2010, 07:41 AM
I note that pre 'age of sail' one still can't sail to Iceland and thus the Americas is closed to Europe and vice versa. I note you can still sail to it from Asia.

Have you considered making Iceland the stepping stone to Greenland from Northern Europe?

Ighten
Oct 22, 2010, 09:54 AM
I agree with the above.. Excellent map (my fave now after Scotland) but I notice if you play as old Washington your pretty isolated once the Iriquois and Aztecs have gone (and you cant help disposing of them as they just seem to declare war on you without an army of there own just because your around).. I wonder if adding another civ such as Canada or Vikings (lets presume they got there first :) ) would solve it..

Actually slight edit to that..since the patch the AI seems to have discovered Naval.. Your still playing a long begin game building up as washington a force that can set out and colonize areas whilst waiting now for a naval force to test your defences (I like it)

stormyorky
Oct 24, 2010, 06:43 PM
I always play with "quick combat" turned on in advanced settings, but since there is no "load as scenario" checkbox in advanced settings, I cant use quick combat with this map.

BTW Im playing as France right now and Im still in the BC's and I dominate in Europe. Took out Germany early and puppet Romes second city in ~Hungary. Had to make peace with Rome as I couldnt take rome with only warriors.
But now when I own almost all of mainland Europe, Ottomans, Arabia, Rome, England and Russia all DoW'd me. I have been through a very tough and interesting defensive war. I had a taskforce sent through caucasus towards arabia when Russia declared on me, and this force (4 warriors and a general) got boxed in between Russia and Arabia. It was a very sweaty period, Russia pressuring my eastern flank (I almost lost my city in northeast europe). But now the tide has turned, Arabia and Ottomans asked for a white peace after a long stalemate. Now Yaroslavl is beeing burned to the ground (my Edirne which I took from ottomans, location around Ukraine, was close to Yaroslavl so Yaroslavl needs to burn :). Rome is gonna be contained on their peninsula while I march for Moscow with my main force. As usual, England does nothing but sit in their boats, "blockading my ports". I'll farm som xp with a pair of archers in the French beaches, picking off their boats :)
As you can hear, Im really enjoying this!

faratia
Oct 28, 2010, 12:09 AM
I always play with "quick combat" turned on in advanced settings, but since there is no "load as scenario" checkbox in advanced settings, I cant use quick combat with this map.

If you have the SDK tools, open the map with world builder,
in the
"C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Shiggs Earth (v 6)\Maps"
folder, then choose Scenario Editor, you can turn on any advanced options you want from there.
just remember to save the settings

JEELEN
Oct 28, 2010, 06:58 AM
I agree with the above.. Excellent map (my fave now after Scotland) but I notice if you play as old Washington your pretty isolated once the Iriquois and Aztecs have gone (and you cant help disposing of them as they just seem to declare war on you without an army of there own just because your around).. I wonder if adding another civ such as Canada or Vikings (lets presume they got there first :) )

No need to presume: they did. ;)

ReQuest
Oct 28, 2010, 12:46 PM
Can you make a version 7 where you add mongalia and mayby do some other changes (if there are useful comments)

Omega124
Oct 28, 2010, 07:47 PM
Well, I love this map so much, that I decided to make a "Deluxe" version of it. This is unofficial, and I will not put this on Modbuddy because it really isn't mine. Also, if you don't want me posting this, I'll delete this post, Shrigg.

*Added Greece, Mongolia, and Bayblon for a 20 Civ Free-for-all
*To compensate for Athens and Karakorum, Dublin and Hanoi have been added
*The Silk on where Hanoi is has been moved 1S

If you are going to DL this, BACK UP THE ORIGIONAL MAP!!!

This is important as this map is designed to replace it (You will have to delete the original map manually). In case if you don't like this map, you will still have the original!

JEELEN
Oct 29, 2010, 12:22 AM
Nice, Iīll check it out. ;)

(You could just rename the map to Omega or something. I think Iīll try that.)

Ighten
Oct 29, 2010, 04:14 AM
Nice will check it out as soon as Ive finished my current Epic Shiggs game.. Def my fave map at the moment.. I wonder though what having those new civs in will do to the balance especially with no horses in the western, the Mongolians are gonna run riot surely ;) Think I may try the same game again and see what happens.

Im curious as well,Why cant you see maps downloaded from the hub in the same way you can see ones you install manually ?

Shiggs713
Oct 31, 2010, 05:36 AM
Thank you Omega124, yes thats fine :)

rosegame
Oct 31, 2010, 03:39 PM
Does anyone still have Shiggs Earth (v 1) available? I delete my mods folder in accident and cannot load my saves now. Can you re-post v1 ?

Thanks a lot!

Preytor
Nov 01, 2010, 08:07 PM
Request: Shiggs Earth Standard size please.

V. Soma
Nov 02, 2010, 01:29 AM
Shiggs, I love your map (v1? I think),
I play it with
- CCMAT v9 and
- one-worker mod and
- the city-state diplo mod (where you have to send units, and cannot buy influence with gold)
(AI Battle tweak mod deleted)

I have freezes and crashes, but eh, I keep going and now I am in the 1800s
with England heading for a cultural victory, on King level.

A suggestion:
With this map, some nations keep to be smallish, in Europe, mostly, I guess.
As we know, technology depends much on sheer population number.
I see that in the 1800s AI has units still of the middle ages, or even ancient...
I don't know, it can be because of CCMAT module, too,
but I have the following suggestion to speed up and balance technology:

My theory is that nations with big and developed cities should do well in tech,
no matter how much population the nation has,
so:

city specialists should have (much) more beaker production than now,
and perhaps the Great Scientist Academy improvement could also give more beakers...?

So a civ with cities sized 13, 15 (=28) can a lot be better in tech than
a civ with cities 4, 3, 5, 5, 6, 6, 3, 3, 3 (=38)...

EDIT: perhaps number of cities could influence the cost of techs...

V. Soma
Nov 04, 2010, 02:27 AM
Another thing:

I am in the 1900s, and Ottomans attack Rome with archers and spears,
Germany has just upgraded from swords to some more "advanced" thing :)
Rome has crossbow.
Why is that?

Iroquoise has fine modern stuff, also India has infantry, Songhai has rifle...

JEELEN
Nov 07, 2010, 03:50 PM
Shiggs, I love your map (v1? I think),
I play it with
- CCMAT v9 and
- one-worker mod and
- the city-state diplo mod (where you have to send units, and cannot buy influence with gold)
(AI Battle tweak mod deleted)

I have freezes and crashes, but eh, I keep going and now I am in the 1800s
with England heading for a cultural victory, on King level.

Iīve played Shiggs multiple times with the recommended mods (see OP), giving no freezes or crashes. (Also, v.1 has been updated a few times.) ;)

Jeff1787
Nov 08, 2010, 12:52 PM
Great map! I noticed some city-states are not in true locations. Are they just placed randomly? Not a complaint, just a question.

Shiggs713
Nov 10, 2010, 08:16 AM
Great map! I noticed some city-states are not in true locations. Are they just placed randomly? Not a complaint, just a question.

Well they should be pretty close to their true locations. If your seeing one that is not in the correct location (or at least close) than something went wrong with your installation, or perhaps loading of the scenario.

I'm gathering info and will eventually create another updated version, but it will likely be some months away, as my general interest in civ5 has plummeted to nearly nil.

Jeff1787
Nov 10, 2010, 09:33 AM
They are not even close, so after I finish my current game I will reinstall the mod.

Too bad you lost interest in Civ V. For me, at first I wasn't sure if I liked it. But now, the more I play it the more I like it.

ZhugeTien
Nov 14, 2010, 06:12 PM
In this save game, I have noticed a disturbing lack of aluminum for my glorious Chinese empire. I have 4 in the mine being built west of Tianshui. But the two aluminums west of Chengdu and Nanjing seem to only contain 1 resource each. All the rest of the strategic resources I've seen have at least 2 in them. I'm running your v.6 and Valkrionn's Economy Mod v.5. I won't complain too greatly about the lack of oil. (/sob) But this seems to be an oversight.

LordTC
Nov 16, 2010, 03:49 AM
Having a lot of fun playing with this, I just thought I'd offer some suggestions.

1. Is there a graphics pack I'm missing or are there just no proper graphics for certain resources on forest? I find it really awkward to plan unit movement with the whole "surprise it's a forest" tile issue.

2. Is it possible to sacrifice some more ocean tiles for land? I think given the map size constraints Europe will play a lot better if the Atlantic and Pacific get shrunk a little more. Much of Civ plays out on land anyways, the Naval system isn't all that rich so it may just be best to sacrifice more ocean to have a better Europe, given how small the map constraints are.

THz
Dec 18, 2010, 08:26 AM
Hey man, any plans on updating this for version 1.0.1.135 ? :)

Shiggs713
Dec 20, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hey man, any plans on updating this for version 1.0.1.135 ? :)

does it not work with the new patch? if not then yes, i will fix it.

THz
Dec 20, 2010, 05:01 PM
No, it works fine, I was just talking about maybe including the Spanish or the Incas on the map. I misexpressed myself, should have said DLC.

Shiggs713
Dec 20, 2010, 08:53 PM
No, it works fine, I was just talking about maybe including the Spanish or the Incas on the map. I misexpressed myself, should have said DLC.

well, no not at the moment. I don't own any DLC except the free mongols.

Minifig
Dec 27, 2010, 05:53 PM
Is there any reason this keeps limiting me to 100 turns when I load the scenario?

I find it massively disappointing I can't play a HUGE map like this with actual start positions... in more than 100 turns. :(

Shiggs713
Dec 28, 2010, 05:07 AM
Is there any reason this keeps limiting me to 100 turns when I load the scenario?

I find it massively disappointing I can't play a HUGE map like this with actual start positions... in more than 100 turns. :(

do you have any other mods installed? I haven't heard anyone else report problems like this, and iirc i turned time victory off anyways.

Dark_Jedi06
Dec 28, 2010, 09:00 AM

Sounds like you probably have the Mongol scenario or Conquest of the New World scenario enabled.

Alsn
Jan 05, 2011, 09:07 AM
I would just like to point out that it feels like you only added the "famous" rivers and as a result, some areas look really bland and "lifeless"(Scandinavia, Siberia, western Europe, etc.). Adding a bunch more of the not so famous or super long rivers would not only make the world look a lot more alive but it would make choosing a city site much easier and more easier imo.

I realise that looking up river map data for the non-famous rivers can be super annoying(I tried to do some civ4 mapping back in the day and gave up on trying to have 100% "real" rivers) but right now there is a disturbing lack of freshwater on your earth! ;)

Edit: Other than that though, awesome map!

Edit2: This actually bothered me so much that I found a really nice picture on wikipedia with regards to drainage basins in europe, complete with most major rivers. Clicky (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c4/Europ%C3%A4ische_Wasserscheiden.png)

zerokarma
Mar 09, 2011, 09:28 PM
I love this map I just wish it wouldn't crash so often late in the game.

jsolo15
Jun 29, 2011, 07:47 AM
Shiggs, are you going to update your map with Stone? Please

jag00035
Jul 04, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hey Shiggs, I 've run into a problem with the latest patch. Here is the thread on the problem: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=429837

I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but since the problem is happening on your map, I thought I would let you know.

psychodation
Feb 05, 2012, 08:12 AM
i am simply not able to start the thing.
installed the mod, activated it... and canīt find it.
not as map, not as scenario.
i just recently started playing civ V, so... what am i doing wrong?
(yet not another earth map pack seems to crash all the time, so i looked for another map, and this one i can not even start...)
HELP?