View Full Version : Dieter's Europe CiV

Dieter VonClam
Nov 03, 2010, 08:30 PM
June 27th, 2011 - Added Stone resource

UPDATE June 7, 2011
Added Denmark DLC; though still located in Oslo to have a major civ in Scandinavia.
Moved Genoa to Benghazi
Tweaked Oil very slightly

UPDATE - VERSION 3 uploaded!
I completely revamped the map to deal with the 3 space minimum change; moved starting positions for Spain (N/E) and Berlin (E) from proper locations to allow better city settling ability. Completely reworked resources - less food and placed more strategically to allow for "realistic" city growth/population. Toned down luxury resources, but still enough to go around. Strategic have been adjusted but still in realistic locations and quantites adequate to field significant armies.

Hi Everyone;

This is a new map of Europe, the Med, North Africa and the fertile Crescent. It is very similar to my Europe map for Civ4 but with a bit more added to the east. I put this map together specifically for CiV, it is not a transfer.

Here's the link to the database file:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15822

CIVs:
Arabia
Babylon
Egypt
England
France
Germany
Greece
Ottoman
Rome
Russia
Carthage - Songhai
Spain
Vikings - Japan
The Huns - Mongols
Celts - Iroquois (starting location is Budapest; would have used Vienna to represent Hallstatt but pushed them East to balance play a little.

There are also 26 City States on the map; most are in historical locations. Those that did not originate in these regions have had the city name changed and have been placed in city locations that I felt have some importance.

As always the map is plentiful in resources which are also in realistic locations. This is done to allow players to build a city congested empire/map while allowing each city to be realistically large and productive. Note: this will speed up game play and increase AI advantages making higher difficulty levels even more challenging

I will keep improving and modifying the map as we go. If anyone finds any problems or has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, so I can do my best to keep improving the map.

Thanks, and Enjoy!

Dieter VonClam
Nov 03, 2010, 08:36 PM
NEW - Screen shots for v2:

Taneda Santôka
Nov 04, 2010, 02:22 AM
Looks good, I like it, I haven't played a lot but the map is beautiful.
One note : in past experience with Europe maps, Greece should start in Thessaloníki, otherwise it always gets locked in its crappy starting position without expending, because right now, the starting position north is much more "fertile" for a young civ (and with fresh water).

Vadus
Nov 04, 2010, 04:45 AM
short question: the vulcano east of greece. Did you take the Krakatoa ?

Taneda Santôka
Nov 04, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure he did. Using Mount Fuji for Mount Olympia or Mount Ararat could also work.

Dieter VonClam
Nov 04, 2010, 08:16 PM
Well I figured the map needed atleast a few "natural wonders", so I tried to use the most suitable replacements...

Krakatoa - Santorini (thought of either Vesuvius or Etna but since Santorini is a
smaller island it seemed to fit better)
Mt. Fuji - Mt. Ararat; it is a dormant volcano which fit and it has a similar profile
Old Faithful - the hot springs and geysers of Iceland
Great Barrier Reef - put it by the Canary Island's; there really is no fair comparison on the map. (Considering changing it the Red Sea)
Gibralter - easy

LordTC
Nov 16, 2010, 04:43 AM
Map looks beautiful.. from a game balance perspective might want to try some tweaks around Rome, not only is Italy rather small in terms of territory but they get boxed in by city states as well. The AI seems to do terribly with them, and I'm not interested in playing them either because of the start location pretty much forcing an attack on a city state (which I am loathe to do).

I must say given the size constraints on the map I like this much better than whole-Earth maps.

Dieter VonClam
Nov 16, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I do agree that the AI normally does pretty awful for Rome. The AI also typically does poorly for England and the Arabs. I've been tweaking the map slowly to improve game play for those Civs. However, I havent uploaded it yet since it will take a week to clear moderation...

My latest game has worked out a little better for Rome; I refuse to remove Venice or Genoa as they played important roles in history, albeit long after the golden age of Rome. Here's a pic (they have 2 other cities on the Iberian Peninsula):

Drogear
Nov 21, 2010, 09:12 AM
Great map, thanks!

Yet only played one game, Egypt/Immortal/Epic. Germany got futuretech by the time I just got artillery.. Going to wait for my next game until the new patch and perhaps go down a difficulty level :)

I would hope someone could ad more civs, Spain, Chartage and so on.

davbenbak
Nov 25, 2010, 08:35 AM
Looks good so far. There are both Spain and Carthage mods out there. Also maybe the Mongols to keep Russia in check.

Dieter VonClam
Nov 26, 2010, 10:05 AM
I do agree that the map needs more civs, especially Spain as France expands like mad for some reason. I've pondered using a substitute as I'm hesitant on adding a mod. Hopefully they come out with an official Spain civ soon I'll have a new version out shortly in which I intend to address the lack of civs in the game.

As for your egypt/immortal game - that's rough. I haven't made it that high on the difficulty scale yet. Have had some success at the King level with a domination and also a diplomatic victory. However, given the abundance of rivers and resources I'm sure that only amplified the advantages given to the AI on the higher difficulties. Plus Egypt might be a little more challenging start location compared to some others.

Drogear
Nov 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
Dieter: Im hoping you could substitute a few civs for now. It may not be historicly accurate but It could be fun with civs in Spain, Chartage, Poland and Babylonia.

Cheers

Dieter VonClam
Nov 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
The Babylonian's are already included on the map, and should work as long as you have bought/downloaded them. I'm working on making a few changes to the map and adding some more civs. I'll upload the new version in a day or two

jacobmcmillin
Nov 29, 2010, 02:49 PM
Yeah, i was going to tell you about how Russia and France get OP really quick. I played as france in one of my 3 times through and it was easy cake taking over the world. Can't you give city states multiple cities? Maybe you can just give spain(madrid) like 3 cities.

Martinek
Dec 02, 2010, 07:43 AM
looks nice and i will give civ5 with that another try

hope that someone can make a very very huge earth map based on this

Madfox
Dec 03, 2010, 07:09 AM
Why am I not allowed to downlaod v2 of this map. I am very interested in it.

greetings Madfox

Bluebird
Dec 03, 2010, 11:26 AM
Played a game as Rome. Awesome map. :goodjob:

I was annoyed at the two city states blocking me off, but since they quickly hated each other I took one and got the other as a border ally as a bonus. :D

Dieter VonClam
Dec 03, 2010, 09:16 PM
Why am I not allowed to downlaod v2 of this map. I am very interested in it.

greetings Madfox

The file is still in moderation queue; hopefully it doesnt take too long. Unfortunately the first version took about a week...

Drogear
Dec 06, 2010, 08:19 AM
Looking forward to try the new version, but Ill wait until the new patch arrives first.

Dieter VonClam
Dec 11, 2010, 08:21 AM
Of course they would come out with a Spanish Civ right after I update the map. Probably wont swap out Persia until I have more updates for the map; don't want it sitting in moderation queue for another week for one civ. Hope you are all enjoying the new version.

Bonus of the DLC is it gives me good reason to work on a new Atlantic map for CiV. Expect it early in the New Year

Drogear
Dec 12, 2010, 02:35 AM
The file is still in moderation queue; hopefully it doesnt take too long. Unfortunately the first version took about a week...

cant dl the file yet. What´s wrong with the moderators?

Martinek
Dec 15, 2010, 02:47 PM
can't download it either :(

Dieter VonClam
Dec 20, 2010, 01:26 PM
I understand that the moderators are busy, but I have no idea why the file hasn't been cleared yet - I uploaded the new version over 2 weeks ago. Sorry for the incovience. I added an attachment at the bottom of the main post for the mean time.

Martinek
Dec 21, 2010, 07:27 AM
thank you for that, nice work by the way
do you think about some other map-projects?
or even a bigger / giant european map... just dreaming

Dieter VonClam
Jan 08, 2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the compliment.
I'm personnaly not interested in making a larger version; I already find that this map takes a long enough time to play through. I am currently working on an Atlantic/New World Discovery map, and I think its going to turn out pretty well. I will be able to give it it's first test in a couple days and it will be uploaded shortly after I'm sure.

Dieter VonClam
Mar 16, 2011, 08:22 PM
Added Koln-Ruhr Area as a CS; Brussels and Amsterdam occupy the area too quickly for a city to be built properly in that area - and I feel its too important an area to be left empty on the map...

Drogear
Mar 18, 2011, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the update. Something seems wrong with Spain, playing at standard speed but the build/research time seems way to long. As russia it plays like normal.

Dieter VonClam
Mar 18, 2011, 06:14 PM
Ooops! I guess when I switched Spain in with the updates I forgot to add a Palace to the city... you would find in your game that a palace would take you one turn to build. But it has been fixed, uploaded and should be ready for download.

I will post some updated screen shots soon...

Gribben
Mar 21, 2011, 03:22 PM
Really enjoying the map but have a newbie quesiton - I can't seem to get the civs to start in their historic locations.

I downloaded the file and placed it in my CiV map folder (and the mod folder for good measure) and so can play the map via advanced start up menu, map type Dieter. But I get the default number of civs/city states and random locations. Am I doing somthing something obviously wrong? (If it helps I have the DLC civs and only the LEM Mod)

Thanks for any help

The Loot
Mar 21, 2011, 05:36 PM
It only works if you use Load Scenario, which disables Advanced Setup.

Dieter VonClam
Mar 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure if you've figured it out, and my way might not be ideal - but I load the map through the MOD section. Once you're passed the mod link, click set-up game, set it to "dieter's" map and then click load scenario....

Canabrava
Apr 07, 2011, 02:43 PM
I liked so much this map.

Can you make this maps focus on massive wars? I hate cultural and scientific victory. I would like just domination and diplomacy. For this mod, should rebalance some resources like oil, all civ should have some iron, oil, horses and aluminium.

Oohforf
Apr 07, 2011, 06:05 PM
I liked so much this map.

Can you make this maps focus on massive wars? I hate cultural and scientific victory. I would like just domination and diplomacy. For this mod, should rebalance some resources like oil, all civ should have some iron, oil, horses and aluminium.

Some people wouldn't like that...such as myself :/ Warmonger much? xD

This is a great map, thanks!

Canabrava
Apr 07, 2011, 07:19 PM
Some people wouldn't like that...such as myself :/ Warmonger much? xD

This is a great map, thanks!

But there are 2 version (without barbarians and with quicky game). Could be a third version, just need a few changes.

Dieter VonClam
Apr 08, 2011, 08:52 AM
But there are 2 version (without barbarians and with quicky game). Could be a third version, just need a few changes.

What do you mean there are two versions?

I appreciate the compliments but it is unlikely I will adjust the map much as of right now... All Civ's have some access to Iron and Coal, I believe all can have horses except the Vikings and with proper relationship management there is plenty of oil and aluminum up for grabs - to add more of these last two resources just to "balance" game play would go against my whole desire to make this map as realistic as I possibly can.

Plus armies already get fairly massive in my opinion - especially in the later stages. Actually in my opinion the resource set up is crap as too many units arent depended on any or the right resources. I vote for a timber/wood resource...

Canabrava
Apr 09, 2011, 10:27 PM
I just wanted a dominantion and diplomacy victory conditions.

Maybe advanced options could be allowed. (I don't know if works with scenarios)

Canabrava
Apr 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
There is a problem with germans. Berlin isn't the capital and need 300 turns to build Palace.

Dieter VonClam
Apr 11, 2011, 07:23 AM
There is a problem with germans. Berlin isn't the capital and need 300 turns to build Palace.

Seems once again that when I moved/adjusted a capital I forgot to make sure to add a palace... I edited the file and all should be good now - thanks for the input.

Ravellion
Apr 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Was having fun playing England, but the game crashed when I met Cape Town in Spain (supposed to be portugal?)

Does this happen to others?

Crimefighter
Apr 25, 2011, 12:31 PM
When I tick load scenario button on the setup screen, I seem to only be able to select the Arabian leader, or Random Leader.

I can select a different leader from the advanced setup screen, but then I dont have the load scenario button checked and the starting locations all get messed up.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Crimefighter
Apr 25, 2011, 01:17 PM
I think Ive made some progress - I opened the map in the world builder, and I dont have the Babylonian Civ - so the second Player slot is empty. I think this is causing an error, and I cant select any Civ below it in the leader list.

I am going to try and resolve it using the worldbuilder. As a last resort I can buy the Babylonian DLC I guess! =)

Dieter VonClam
Apr 25, 2011, 04:09 PM
Was having fun playing England, but the game crashed when I met Cape Town in Spain (supposed to be portugal?)

Does this happen to others?

Does it keep crashing if you reload your game? Or are you still having troubles with the map? Thats a problem I haven't run into in my experiences with the map...

Has anyone else had such a problem?

As for the Babylon DLC problem - sorry about that; perhaps in worldbuilder you can just swap them out for the Persians perhaps?

Crimefighter
Apr 25, 2011, 04:28 PM
As for the Babylon DLC problem - sorry about that; perhaps in worldbuilder you can just swap them out for the Persians perhaps?

I resolved it, just deleting the team slots for Babylon and Spain (another DLC I dont have) managed to fix the issue and preserve the accurate startng positions.

Enjoying the map =)

Tempest97
Apr 27, 2011, 12:00 AM
Tried using this, but soon as I hit load scenario the only option to play is Arabia :( If I'm doing something wrong please inform me.

Crimefighter
Apr 27, 2011, 03:11 AM
Tried using this, but soon as I hit load scenario the only option to play is Arabia :( If I'm doing something wrong please inform me.

You have the same issue as I had. Read up a few posts to see how I resolved it.

In short, open the map in the worldbuilder, and under one of the menus (I think its Scenario or something) delete the blank Team 2 and Team 12 teams.

These represent Babylon and Spain which Im guessing you do not have (DLC), and is causing your problem. (Arabia is in Team Slot "1" which is why its the only one you can choose before an error occurs, when your game cant load the Babylon Civ in the Team 2 slot).

Then save the map and try again.

Tempest97
Apr 27, 2011, 12:08 PM
Thank You!

Ravellion
Apr 29, 2011, 06:37 AM
Does it keep crashing if you reload your game? Or are you still having troubles with the map? Thats a problem I haven't run into in my experiences with the map...

Has anyone else had such a problem?
Yeah, I loaded an autosave of 2 turns earlier and it crashed again when I met them once more.

I'll try a game as Spain, see what happens then.

Ravellion
Apr 29, 2011, 12:58 PM
I think maybe the map is too large for my hardware. It crashed around turn 200, and again on the reload. Normally I play standard maps and have no problems. But I do think I had problems with huge maps before.

MikeAwesome
May 03, 2011, 04:34 PM
Greetings Dieter.

This is an excellent map and I really enjoy playing on it. There are two things I would like to bring to your attention regarding your map.

1. This is just a minor issue, Thebes (Egypt) does not start with a Temple, even though it just takes one turn to make. :)

2. Using Worldbuilder, I removed the current Oslo (Japan), replaced them with the new Denmark DLC, and renamed the capital Oslo. (seems more real that way) However, when I play as the new civ, their research times are a lot more higher than the other civs. For example, the first four tech times are as follows:

Standard speed: Denmark 16 turns, all others 11 turns
Epic speed: Denmark 24 turns, all others 16 turns

I remembered to give them a Temple, so they have 4 Science at the start just like every other civ. Is there another file or setting that needs to be edited as well? :confused:

Dieter VonClam
May 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
By "temple" I'm assumimg you mean Palace... must have missed that one again. Thebes was without a palace. which would cause the research times to be delayed.
I have uploaded a corrected map - now everyone should have a palace.
Thanks for catching that mistake for my MikeAwesome!

I did not add the Viking DLC - not everyone has appreciated having DLCs on the map in the past - I will add it if people think its a good idea...

Alut
Jun 01, 2011, 04:39 PM
Extra signed up to say it would be a nice idea to add the viking dlc.( or make two versions one with another without dlcs) :P
And it would be nice to remove genoa.why? so the Italians can expand more ( in my games they had 2-3 cities). Probably it would make a military conflict between spain, france and italy more common.Same thing with england -too underpowered. Maybe remove 1 city state? Another issue is, like mentioned before, oil. All nations should have at least 1 oil resource to build 1-2 oil units.My last concern is the Celtic. In my opinion they only prevent the Germans from expanding so they stay small too and cant build a counterpart to Russia. As consequence the Russians become quite overpowered in every game. Just found a minor bug: built a city on the coast( with fish + pearls) as Babylonian but cant build a workboat/lighthouse...
Btw its my favourite map!

Ravellion
Jun 03, 2011, 07:26 PM
I would like the Danes DLC on the map. Isn't it possible to just keep the current version unchanged, and add a new one with the Danes?

Dieter VonClam
Jun 07, 2011, 08:27 PM
Alright made some changes:
Added Denmark as I like the idea of giving the Vikings their appropriate seafaring and coastal raiding potential. I kept them in Oslo as Copenhagen would be very cramped!

Alut; you are correct that Genoa/Venice blocks Rome in; you were not the first to mention this - I was reluctent to remove such a historically important CS. However, for a small map I agree one CS should go - Genoa has been moved to Benghazi, and will hopefully make play more interesting.

Another issue is, like mentioned before, oil. All nations should have at least 1 oil resource to build 1-2 oil units
As for oil - I will not place oil resources just to make game play fair! I have tried to make this map fairly realistic/historically accurate. There are only a few Civs with no access to oil, but this is countered by surplus oil in the expected areas as well as plenty of CS's with access to oil. The unlucky civ's will have to buy or trade for this resource.

Dieter VonClam
Jun 07, 2011, 08:35 PM
My last concern is the Celtic. In my opinion they only prevent the Germans from expanding so they stay small too and cant build a counterpart to Russia. As consequence the Russians become quite overpowered in every game. Just found a minor bug: built a city on the coast( with fish + pearls) as Babylonian but cant build a workboat/lighthouse...
Btw its my favourite map!

I don't know what to do about Russia - resources are more sparce and individual cities will have fewer relative resources compared to other civs. They have been very powerful before and after I added the Mongols and the Celts. They are beatable though!

As for the bug - weird. I didn't have a problem as the Babylonians.

And thanks so much for the complement!

Sir_Byzantium
Jun 13, 2011, 08:32 PM
I really like this map, one of my favorite maps actually. But I've had this one really strange problem. For some reason the city states don't have their proper name. For example. I see Lisbon on the map, it's named Lisbon, but for some reason when I go to Lisbon's diplomacy screen, it becomes Cape Town. The same goes for Amsterdam, it's Amsterdam on the map but on the diplomacy screen it becomes Singapore. I've noticed that when I opened up world builder and going to the city edit menu, Brussels will have the "city name localized" box ticked, but that same box won't be ticked for Amsterdam, Lisbon, Yereven, and so on. Is there a way to fix this possibly on the World Builder?

Alut
Jun 23, 2011, 06:37 AM
Am I blind? Cant see the Danes... :(

edit: lol copied the map in the backup folder... -.-

Barak
Jun 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
How exactly do I install this mod? I've DLed it and placed in the MODS folder, but in game can't enable in game.

Dieter VonClam
Jun 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
Alut - I uploaded the revised map a while ago; you should be able to see and play the Danes, though they still start in Scandinavia at Oslo.

Sir Byzantium - I've looked into that before; I believe you would need to 'mod' the CS's for their names to change in the diplomacy screen. I get its a little confusing but I prefer to get half way right with appropriate city names...

Dieter VonClam
Jun 23, 2011, 07:33 PM
How exactly do I install this mod? I've DLed it and placed in the MODS folder, but in game can't enable in game.

I believe this is located on an earlier post... extract the file into your "Maps" file in CiV. Once there load up the game and select "Mods", "Set Up Game" and then select Dieter's in the map tab amd make sure to "load scenario". Then you can set up the game as you like.

Hope that helps!

Barak
Jun 24, 2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks, i'll make it work!

Dieter VonClam
Jun 27, 2011, 10:53 PM
Added the new Stone resource - too bad the patch messed with my current game something fierce! The placement is a little ambigous; tried to come up with realistic locations but some just ended up near mountain ranges and geologically appropriate areas... I tried to keep it minimal but enough to help offset the reduction in "happiness"

Barak
Jun 29, 2011, 07:48 AM
I also encountered the CS name issue. Is there any easy way to fix it or are the CS's hardcoded?

Dieter VonClam
Jul 03, 2011, 05:46 PM
I edited stone resources a bit and now I have a problem - every time I try to set up a new game it always starts as Harun and the Arabs; regardless of who I select or the difficulty/speed settings...

I hope this doesnt affect everyone who has downloaded the updated map.
If anyone has some tips or advice I'd really appreciate it; I cant figure it out :sad:

MAGBaxter
Jul 03, 2011, 06:09 PM
Everyone who has a scenario is facing this problem including myslef since the late june patch, they have said a patch will be released soon, probably hopefully this week.

Alut
Jul 04, 2011, 10:39 AM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10643762#post10643762

maybe it can help you.

edit: for me it helps

Dieter VonClam
Jul 04, 2011, 07:13 PM
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10643762#post10643762

maybe it can help you.

edit: for me it helps

Thanks so much; worked right away!
I take it that as the problem is in the game script everyone who wants to play a "mod" will have to do that?

Gedemon
Jul 05, 2011, 12:25 AM
mods using custom setup (like the DLC scenario) won't be affected.

gunnergoz
Jul 19, 2011, 04:13 PM
Tried this map last night but found it full of resources - AI players were in the middle ages by 250BC! I was playing at normal (Prince?). Maybe the resources need to be toned down a bit?

That nerdy kid
Oct 08, 2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the compliments. I do agree that the AI normally does pretty awful for Rome. The AI also typically does poorly for England and the Arabs. I've been tweaking the map slowly to improve game play for those Civs. However, I havent uploaded it yet since it will take a week to clear moderation...

My latest game has worked out a little better for Rome; I refuse to remove Venice or Genoa as they played important roles in history, albeit long after the golden age of Rome. Here's a pic (they have 2 other cities on the Iberian Peninsula):

russia went pretty runaway there with city building.

nokmirt
Nov 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
I have a question. I am playing Dieter's Large Europe map that comes with YAHEM v13 and there does not seem to be any iron on the map. I am playing as Russia and have explored much territory, yet I see no iron and have passed iron working some turns ago. No other civs seem to have any either. Is there a reason for this??? Or is it that vast Russia has no iron resources on the map? I have horses though. So I am not understanding how iron a very important resourse in the game would not be present.

ctyinglee
Jan 09, 2012, 02:31 AM
Hi, thanks for the map, I was wondering if you ever had the time to do the atlantic map that you said you might do? Also, is there any way to decrease the number of civ/city-states on this scenario? (ie i'm assuming I have to check scenario to get the correct placement.)
Thanks

SuperTechmarine
Oct 13, 2012, 05:10 AM
I recommend you get Gods & Kings and put the official Carthage, Byzantium, Sweden and many other civs

MikeAwesome
Oct 18, 2012, 06:03 PM
Since Dieter hasn't been active in quite some time, I went ahead and added some G&K civs to this wonderful map.

Changes:

-Added Celts, Netherlands, Carthage, Austria, Sweden, Huns, and Denmark civs. (Regarding Denmark, I kept the Copenhagen CS as is, and moved Denmark civ to Norway, renaming them Oslo. This was done to give Netherlands and Germany a little room to expand to the north.)

-Removed a couple of city states, and added a few more. Left Dublin in to give Celts and England the chance to ally...or conquer. :)

-Haven't added any G&K resources such as salt, crab, etc. There's enough luxuries on the map already.

Go ahead and give it a try! :D

JanghanHong
Nov 07, 2012, 09:15 PM
You don't have to keep the vikings on mainland anymore, the patch makes them super aggressive on offshore colonization, Keeping them on Sjaelland is fine.

vibe96
Jan 11, 2013, 01:32 PM
i was planning to do a scenario based on this map, is it OK? I will give credit to you.