View Full Version : RiverWorld map

MaisseArsouye
Jan 08, 2011, 12:09 PM
Hi guys !

Maybe some people remember I used to make maps for CivIII. After 4 years off-business, I come back with maps for Civ V.

These maps are about RiverWorld, a SF cycle by Philip Jose Farmer. This is a planet with a single river in a sigle valley, bordered by high mountains and zig-zagging across the whole world. For complete informations, please go to Wikipedia.

I give you two versions of the map :
- the "poor" map has quite no ressources, like in the novels.
- the "random" map has normal random ressources and is easier to play

Both are 90X59

I choosed to use coast plots to make the river, so that boats can sail it. And, IMHO, it's closer to the spirit of the novel.

I hope you'll enjoy it.

Mango Elephant
Jan 08, 2011, 03:44 PM
lol that looks like hell to naviagate.

wassname
Feb 12, 2011, 04:11 AM
Wow I've been wishing there was a riverworld civ 5 map for a while :).

When I try to select one of these maps, its say invalid map file tho. Anyone know why this is?

wassname
Feb 12, 2011, 12:56 PM
Never mind, it was because I needed to update Civ 5 to the latest version. It's working now!

maus
Feb 17, 2011, 02:18 PM
I was hoping for one of these in Civ4! I played a game on Noble- I turned up the City States to the maximum and set the Civs to 16- there's a lot more land on this map than a usual Standard map, and I probably could have added even more AI civs.

I like how it changes world exploration and so on, but I have a couple nitpicks-

There aren't nearly enough luxury resources on the "Random" map. I started three games before starting somewhere within twenty hexes (!) of a luxury. It's a challenge, sure, but it makes expansion difficult without constantly building happiness improvements

I've read Riverworld, so I know it's supposed to be lots of grassland, but it looks kind of boring in Civ V. Also, there's no fresh water, so no +1 Food boost for freshwater farms- maybe add some little one- or two-hex riverlets every twenty tiles or so on the coast of the main river?

I like the map, and I hope you keep workin' on it!

MaisseArsouye
Feb 18, 2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for comments.

Actually, the random map should have exactly the same amount of luxury ressources as any other map with the same size. But I could work on a more playable map.

maus
Feb 18, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for comments.

Actually, the random map should have exactly the same amount of luxury ressources as any other map with the same size. But I could work on a more playable map.

Oh! I figured it out, I think you may have labelled your maps incorrectly. I'd always played the 'random' map, never found many resources besides Wheat, Cow, etc... on a whim, I tried the 'poor' map and started right by some Iron and Wine.

So, yeah, I think you just need to switch the labels on the two maps.

EDIT: playing a new game as Inca on the "poor" (actually rich) map with 20 civs and 30 CSes, raging barbarians... still so much land! :goodjob: And plenty of room for Terrace Farms! Started in the Classical Age, and I built Stonehenge, so
it's like Pachacuti woke up amongst 13th-century Incans and Ancient Iceni Britons :lol: (minor Riverworld spoiler)