View Full Version : Pollution as Wasteland

mrtn
Jan 15, 2003, 01:48 PM
I don't like the pink and orange pollution, so here is a variant, based on the wastelands from Test of Time. Hope someone likes it.

Download (http://forums.civfanatics.com/./downloads.php?do=file&id=1861)

Edit: Download moved to the file database after 2016 downloads.

mrtn
Jan 15, 2003, 01:49 PM
Preview.

KoRnEa
Jan 15, 2003, 03:44 PM
nice!
i like it much better than orange thingy

Kinboat
Jan 15, 2003, 04:36 PM
It looks really good.

Neomega
Jan 15, 2003, 04:38 PM
I agree, that looks great. I was just htinking today at work about the orange pollution and wondering exactly why did they make it that way.....

Good job.

mrtn
Jan 15, 2003, 04:45 PM
It may be that they wanted something easily recognised, so that people don't miss the pollution. I think my version is more in the industrial revolution vein.

Globetrotter
Jan 16, 2003, 04:03 AM
Cool pollution! :)

worshipwillow
Jan 19, 2003, 12:31 AM
Oh, yeah, I'll be using this gfx in-game, definitely. Still, as for the old pollution gfx, that orange puke shows up real easy for those of us with pitiful 15 inch monitors. :)
Thanks for this file!

CurtSibling
Jan 29, 2003, 07:01 AM
Much better than the fluorecent marmalade that I am used to!

;)

Kal-el
May 10, 2003, 08:53 AM
yes, much better.

mrtn
May 10, 2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Kal-el
yes, much better.
The Necromancer has been here, waking a thread from the dead. :D
Thank you for the kind words, people.

Kal-el
May 10, 2003, 09:12 AM
I was directed to this in a post by Kryten. I wish I knew about these graphics earlier. :)

SoCalian
May 13, 2003, 08:52 PM
Looks much more realistic... especialy after a neuclear explosion;)

Raw is War?
Jul 07, 2003, 03:52 PM
Hmmm... didn't notice these earlier on. They look very good. :goodjob: :)

mrtn
Jul 07, 2003, 03:57 PM
Thanks. :)
I think it's interesting to check this thread once in a while: 460 downloads, it feels as if everyone in the world is using this! :eek: :D

Dom Pedro II
Jul 08, 2003, 12:26 PM
I'm not... no offense. ;)

Basically because it came out before I started graphically modding my game.

I think I'll put it in though.

SuperBeaverInc.
Jul 08, 2003, 03:38 PM
This is way better than that horrible bright orange pollution mrtn. I don't think that there really is that much kind of pollution that is bright orange. Makes the game look much more realistic. :goodjob:

spincrus
Jul 11, 2003, 05:20 AM
To make it look even dirtier, I put the orange thingy on top of what mrtn has done, and have reduced the opacy of the orange pollution...

I'll try to put a screenshot as soon as possible.

spincrus
Jul 11, 2003, 05:41 AM
Here is the "dirtier, uglier, more radiated, smellier" version.

spincrus
Jul 11, 2003, 05:46 AM
And here is my preview (taken from Civ3XEdit, though, not in-game).

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads5/pollution-screenshot-1.jpg

If the image doesn't appear, send me a message.

warpstorm
Aug 16, 2003, 09:31 AM
I just spotted this one, mrtn, I like it. (I might even make it more watercolored ;))

mrtn
Aug 16, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by warpstorm
I just spotted this one, mrtn, I like it. (I might even make it more watercolored ;)) Thank you. And yes please. :)
Would you mind posting your watercolouring method? That is, if it is a number of filters you use, the same each time? (not counting finishing touches) I'd like to be able to try it out. :)
Oh, if you make this pollution, please notice the small black trees, so you don't smear those too much.

warpstorm
Aug 16, 2003, 10:24 AM
That'd be telling wouldn't it...;)

The truth is, I start by cleaning up the image, then follow with a loose filtering process (~19 filters and transforms, unless there is water on the tile, that complicates it a lot). Sometimes it looks good, sometimes not. In almost all cases, I have to adjust it (different filters, extra layers and blends, etc.) so as not to lose details I care about (and to lose some that I don't). In addition, I usually have to hand tweak pixels after. The big trick though is that you need to color shift your palette into the sepia tones to match colors a little better with the ones I chose.

warpstorm
Aug 16, 2003, 10:26 AM
Here's a screeny

warpstorm
Aug 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
And the pcx

warpstorm
Aug 16, 2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks, mrtn, that looks like something that I want to clean up.

mrtn
Aug 16, 2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by warpstorm
Thanks, mrtn, that looks like something that I want to clean up. :confused: what? Does this mean that one up there is just a beta?
BTW, you should post the file in a zip instead, some guys complain about not being able to save pcx:s attached in that way.

warpstorm
Aug 16, 2003, 10:51 AM
No, I meant my workers. :)

mrtn
Aug 16, 2003, 08:09 PM
Oh, ok. :blush:
Warpstorm, check pm's.

Eastern Knight
Aug 19, 2003, 08:47 PM
actually, it's not that good, i think that green pollution the other person made is better...

mrtn
Aug 19, 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Eastern Knight
actually, it's not that good, i think that green pollution the other person made is better... Did I ask you for your view, whoever you are?
I made this for my pleasure.
Besides, I'm a really nice guy, so I thought, back in January when this was created, that; hey, maybe someone else would like these graphics? Lets post it at CFC, and share it with my fellow civ players.
I certainly didn't do it for a bloody n00b who hasn't even heard of common courtesy. :mad:

Eastern Knight
Aug 19, 2003, 11:59 PM
bloody n00b? what is wrong? don't i have the freedom to comment on this? did i offended you in ANY way? if i did, then i'm sorry, if you don't want to ask for my view, okay then. and whoever i am, i am just a 13-year-old who finds himself in a situation where someone called himself a "bloody n00b" just because of a comment. i wouldn't consider someone who gave a negative comment no courtesy, would you? sir? :confused:

mrtn
Aug 20, 2003, 08:13 AM
OK, I'll take it s l o w e r for you.
You didn't add anything constructive to this thread.
You only wrote about another thread.
You where negative about my work, about something I didn't need to know.
It all was pointless and in bad style.
Now please go away if you have nothing constructive to add.

Paalikles
Sep 04, 2003, 11:19 AM
Urk. That looks awful (= it looks great, but I want to remove it right now)
great work both of you. Remember to inform whoever is keeping a graphics library about this, if you havent already :thumbsup:

Pounder
Dec 25, 2004, 06:06 AM
@mrtn

I have used your pollution since it came out, it's the best :goodjob: . I was playing around and just copied your pollution onto the original Firaxis pollution pallete and it turned out kind of interesting, so I'm posting it on your thread as a variation.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/pollution333prev.jpg