View Full Version : The story of a citizen

Brenador
Apr 28, 2011, 10:53 PM
This is a story based on the actual history of a citizen in a game that I played. When I make references to dates, they are based on a timescale I created myself. This timescale is based on the Ages, and the start of each Age is determined by an average of when nations entered the Age. This describes Rise of Nations from a different perspective, that of a single AI-controlled citizen. Feedback is always appreciated, and I may post more stories like this if there is enough interest.

I haven't figured out how to take screenshots, so I have included a zip file with the replay and a spreadsheet with the history of Maricanchi and his buildings, along with the date system I used.

Maricanchi was the first citizen created in the Inca capital of Cuzco. He was assigned to the city’s Woodcutter’s camp, located on the south side of the city. He worked there from 2907 BC to 2713 BC, until he was sent to build a Barracks, northeast of the city center. He completed the Barracks in 2373 BC, and then returned to his Woodcutter’s Camp.

Maricanchi’s Barracks was used to create a group of infantry units, who were then sent to attack the Russians under Tsar Peter the Great. Emperor Atahualpa’s strategy did not work well, and while the infantry did some real damage to the Russians, they were defeated and the expenditure of resources caused the Incas to fall far behind their rivals. They would not reach the Classical Age until 11 AD.

Meanwhile, Maricanchi was sent to build another Woodcutter’s Camp, which he completed in 398 BC. He worked there until 509 AD, when he was sent to build a temple for the city. He returned to his Woodcutter’s Camp in 660 AD. This Woodcutter’s Camp was north of the city center, not far from the Barracks and Temple that Maricanchi also constructed.

Maricanchi was the greatest citizen of Cuzco. He constructed more buildings than any other citizen, but his glory would gradually fade away, while he was confined to the simple life of a woodcutter. Other buildings were built by other citizens in Cuzco. A military complex, consisting of two Stabes and a Barracks, was built to the east of Cuzco’s city center.

While no longer the only Barracks, Maricanchi’s Barracks was still the most important Incan Barracks. Even as the military complex expanded, Maricanchi’s Barracks still produced more units than any other Barracks, and conducted all of the unit upgrades for infantry. The Incan Empire grew stronger, recovering from its earlier misfortune.

The turning point in Incan history was when the Incas captured Megara from the Greeks in 1622 AD. Before this, the Incas had faced raids on their outer cities, and were considered the weakest and most backward nation in the world. Now they were on the offensive, and growing in power, trying to expand their domain into other Greek cities.

While the Incan military fought its war of conquest, Maricanchi continued to work with other citizens at the Woodcutter’s Camp he had built, and a new threat rose in the east. The Turks, led by a ruler named Alan, were wiping out the Russians.

When they reached the Industrial Age in 1900 AD, the Incas were a force to be reckoned with. They were not the greatest nation in the world, but they were strong. They had six cities, and had built the Colosseum. The Turks were stronger, and their forces were encroaching from the east. They captured one Incan city in 1919 and another in 1932.

Then the Turkish armies laid siege to Cuzco. Their artillery razed the military complex, leaving Maricanchi’s Barracks as the only building in Cuzco capable of creating infantry. The infantry built at the Barracks were thrust into the face of overwhelming odds and killed soon afterwards. When the alarm was sounded at the city, there were so many citizens that not all of them were garrisoned in the city.

Maricanchi, along with one other woodcutter at his camp, stayed outside and continued working, because they were far from the city center. The Barracks was destroyed by artillery fire in 1954, and the city fell in 1960. Maricanchi, along with all of the other citizens from the city, tried to flee the Turkish invaders. Maricanchi was shot dead by Turkish riflemen north of his forest, in 1961 AD.

The Incan Empire fell in 1984 when its capital timer ran out. Maricanchi’s Temple and Woodcutter’s Camp remained, and were largely ignored by the Turks, who had their attention elsewhere. Maricanchi’s whole world had been shattered, and he had been killed, all because of Alan’s mad quest for world domination.

Skwink
Jun 20, 2011, 07:38 PM
This dude is pretty old.

Brenador
Jun 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
This dude is pretty old.

So are a lot of people in RoN

Strelok22
Jul 08, 2011, 05:08 PM
Very cool story... :)

Do you consider making another one ?

Brenador
Jul 08, 2011, 07:08 PM
Sure. Do you have a preference as to which units and buildings are followed?

Strelok22
Jul 09, 2011, 07:04 AM
Nope...it will ruin the point.It is cool because you dont know what is going to happen.Randomness is the key :D

Brenador
Jul 09, 2011, 08:32 PM
Nope...it will ruin the point.It is cool because you dont know what is going to happen.Randomness is the key :D

You read fiction like I do. I always enjoy a story more if I don't know what will happen. A new RoN story similar to this one will be posted soon, probably within a few days.

Brenador
Jul 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
My first RoN story focused on the first citizen built by a civilization. Now I will follow the five initial citizens who were there at the beginning of the game. The dates are based on an average of when civilizations reached the various Ages in two other games that I played, including the first Story of a Citizen

In 3000 BC, at the dawn of civilization, there were five citizens in London, capital of the British. Bill, Linda, and Jennifer were working the city’s three farms. Brenda and Richard were assigned to the Woodcutter’s Camp. Most of the citizens were content to remain at the tasks they started out with, but Brenda was not. She left the Woodcutter’s Camp before even working there, and built a Farm near London in 2839 BC.

In 2655 BC Brenda left her farm to found the city of Southampton, which she completed in 2230 BC. Southampton was located to the west of London, closer to the center of the map. There was a river west of Southampton. Brenda continued to be Southampton’s most important citizen, constructing a Woodcutter’s Camp and three farms before settling down to work at one of her own farms. Richard continued to be a lumberjack while Linda, Bill, and Jennifer stayed at their initial Farms.

Southampton was raided by Egyptians in the Classical Age. No alarm bells were sounded, so Brenda and her fellow citizens of Southampton continued their work as the battle progressed around them. A British slinger stood on Brenda’s farm, standing right next to her while flinging bullets at the enemy. The Egyptians were defeated, without much damage to the city.

Leicester was founded west of the river in 13 AD. During the Medieval Age, the British built Runnymede on the west side of the river, placing it northwest of Southampton and dangerously close to the Chinese, who were north of England. Germany, the strongest nation in the world, built a city southwest of Leicester. The Germans then captured Leicester, while the British army was attacking a Chinese merchant hut.

A German army laid siege to Southampton during the Gunpowder Age, fighting a pitched battle with the main British army. The Germans won due to their superior technology, but suffered enough losses that they left after destroying the city’s Tower. Brenda, who was still working at the city, was unharmed.

The Enlightenment Age saw Runnymede captured by the Chinese. After this, the British government, seeing that it could not expand west, north, or south, chose to expand east, “behind” its capital. Brenda left her city of Southampton to found the city of Oxford near the Chinese border. The city was completed in 1873 AD. She later built a Stockade in London and a Farm in Oxford, and went to work at the farm. Two other cities, Richmond and Lincoln, were also founded.

Richard left his post at the Woodcutter’s Camp to build a Library in Lincoln in 1903 AD, and then founded a city called Birmingham on the nation’s southern border with the Aztecs. Brenda left her Farm to work on Angkor Wat, in a tight wonder race with the Egyptians. Richard built a Farm and a Temple at Birmingham. The Egyptians built Angkor Wat first, so Brenda and the other citizens who worked on it built a Granary instead. Brenda retired to a Farm somebody else had built in Richmond, while Richard worked on his Farm in Birmingham

The British nation was one of the weakest in the world, making them an easy target. Their army was severely weakened in a battle against the Germans near Southampton, and then the Chinese invaded with a strong Industrial Age army while the British still had Enlightenment Age units. They destroyed Brenda’s Stockade and Farm in London, and killed London’s farmers, including Linda, Bill, and Jennifer.

Brenda herself was killed in 1934 AD when Armored Cars raided Richmond. Oxford and London were captured, and by 1977 AD, the British nation was no more. Richard was the only one of the initial citizens still left, as he was still alive at his farm in Birmingham.

I haven't figured how to take screenshots in Rise of Nations, so I have included a zip file that contains the game's replay file and a spreadsheet with history of the characters and the full date calculation system that I used.

I may post another RoN story like this one, but it will be quite different. I already have some ideas.