View Full Version : TSG15 After Action Report

leif erikson
Jul 01, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG15 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page (http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/c5-gotm.php) to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the closing date.

What do you think of the features in the new patch? Does the patch make the game more difficult? If so, what difficulty should future TSG's be?

trueblue
Jul 02, 2011, 05:55 PM
well theres not an after action thread yet...

ive played a few of the GOTM but this is the first time ive bothered to do a report, so where to start.

Emperor is just too easy, its true.

Scientific win!

Turn time: 337 - 1917AD

Score: 1459 - i think

only built three cities. NY to the north near the whales, boston, late, out west because i felt a third city would help science.

Polcies: tradition maxed out (for that 15% growth), honour maxed out (its the best tree out there but i didnt get its full benifit this game, not enough war so not enough from the gold bonus), rationalism (its a science game, so yeh)

Was only ever in two wars and they were fought with an upgraded scout archer and my starting warrior and city bombardment. China and Egypt, egypt got wipped out by someone and china took a flat peace after some other civ started on them. that was it. built two musketman which i upgraded through the game just incase. built one caravel to explore.

built a shed load of wonders, off the top of my head: Great Library, Oracle, Stongehenge, Itza, Himeji, Sistine, Hagia, Kremlin, Porcelain Tower, Pentagon, Brandenburg Gate, Opera house. all the national wonders. (told you emperor is too easy.) All in my capital other than Oprea House in NY.

once i had the opening of Rationalism and the PT it was just RA after RA. easy. happiness was never a problem, i did have to gold two colloseum at one point but that was it. Gold was a slight issue till the bank and the national treasury, i bought two market places at one point. bought my NY library too but i was a bit late on getting the College up (due to wonder whoring), planted one great scientist too (at my capital on the horses).

built public schools in all three cities, much beter building after the patch.

only way i can think of right now that would have speed it up was buildign the national college earlier.

Diplo Actions: oh aye, the much discussed diplo. i never sign DOF's, ever, in any game. i trade open borders at every chance for 50 or 43 or 1gpt + 19. traded my spare lux's just as and when i could. i knew both china and egypt would attack as they flooded me with units, they were never a danger.

ill often sub the AI gold to get those RA's.

TEch Path: headed straight for the GL, then straight to the Oracle, the straight for Itza, i think i used the Hagie GE for Itza (i think an early RA gave me the Hagie tech), missed out on the Hangign Gardens due to this path, hey ho.

then its just researching the lowest Tech every chance.

oh aye, this was the first time ive played as the Yanks. teh extra visibity is decent, the tile purchasing i never really used and i didnt get the chance to use the musketman or b-17.

there are better Civ's out there.

punctuator
Jul 02, 2011, 08:12 PM
Well, I managed a G. Lib. start, and also managed to win the races to Hanging Gardens and Porcelain Tower. I had a super capital, but got boxed in from the east by Russia earlier than I expected (going for G. Lib/NC made my settling very slow). Catherine was the main competition. I neglected my military after fending off an early rush from Wu, who turned into a non-factor. Finally Catherine invaded with Rifles/Cannons when I had a single minuteman and some warriors and archers---never was able to upgrade the warriors due to lack of iron in our start. Was quite scary, since there was no buffer between her forces and my capital. I fought a defensive war for a long time before finally pushing back and taking two of her cities, for a total of 6 in the end game.

I think if I'd figured out a way to warmonger earlier and expanded a bit into Russian territory, I might have done better. However, the reputation hit maybe would have cost me several RAs. I did a ton of trading to get the gold for them.

RAs are powerful with Rationalism and the Porcelain Tower, but it stinks when they overflow into a tech you don't want. Happened to me with the lower-branch military techs often towards the end game.

I settled several G. Scientists, but I think that was a mistake. I was hoping to double them with the Freedom finisher, but should have known I wouldn't have enough culture to round out three policy trees.

I'm honestly new enough to Emperor difficulty that it's hard for me to tell if this is easier/harder than before the patch. (Edit: not to mention, when I saw how much the patch was going to change things, I went back to Civ IV for a while :D )

StrideColossus
Jul 03, 2011, 05:38 AM
I hadn't looked into the changes following the patch in any detail, other than knowing that RA's now gave a boost rather than individual techs. Although I did take a little more time than usual to check where various buildings, units, etc were in the tree, and the changes to SPs. Other than that I winged it.

Therefore I was somewhat surprised to find out how easy this win was. Looks like I followed a similar path to previous posters: bee-lined GL and NC, settled three citites, fought off an early rush from China, then took her out, no other wars, no happiness problems, lots of gold, quicker to build (?), job done.

Was the tech lead throughout the game, but managed to keep military parity whilst generating lots of science and gold, and supported about 3-5 CS for a large part of the game.

I allied several military CS which I don't normally do, but they were in good strategic positions against potential enemies, had nice luxuries, and kept my military up to scratch.

Launched 1927 (turn 347), base score 909, score 1307. Rank: Simon Bolivar.

Will attach detailed notes later.

mcmpan
Jul 03, 2011, 03:16 PM
Wow, this was the funniest game I have played so far in Civ 5!

Played a fast game (4:23) and finally finished in 1836 (turn 288). Almost everything worked fine for me.

I was surprised, that the AI was relatively peaceful, as in my three test games for the new patch they were really aggressive from the beginning on.

I beelined GL, NC, then went for iron. With no iron around, I went for minutemen (for defense).
I built Washington on the incense for observatory and solar (next to mountain and desert). Had 3 cities the whole game. When I got the Coal tech, I have built a 4th, to grab the coal west. I also got one city of the Russians near the end of the game.

Policies were the whole Liberty and Rationalism path. I love the early boost from Liberty. I am not sure, if Tradition would have also been good, as I've built many wonders.

I did RAs all the time and they were really great and powerful. Also did a lot of trading every turn.

I wasn't able to upload the savefile here, but posted a submission.

HarryLime
Jul 03, 2011, 06:46 PM
Just finished the game. It was a pretty good one.

My opening build was scout, scout, worker. I wanted to pick up as many ruins and city state bonuses as I could early game. That 3 sight helps enormously.

When I saw how tight space on the map was I figured I'd only have 3 or 4 cities so I went tradition. I'm always tempted to take Liberty in the early game, but I've found Tradition to be a much better long term plan almost all the time. But I did build a settler as soon as I could to make sure I got that whale spot before Wu.

I did a lot of wonder whoring. Beelined the Hanging Gardens, then realized both GL and SH weren't taken so I did them both. The AI doesn't seem to want wonders anymore. And with all those plains around Washington the Hanging Gardens were huge. I don't think I ever took it off production focus and it still grew to size 24.

Wu was a little pissed that I settled so close to her (I also bought about 6 tiles as soon as I dropped the city). She declared war, but I had two archers and two warriors waiting for her. While we were warring I settled Boston right by the mountain pass to the east, hoping to block off Russia.

Wu sued for peace and then apparently gave up. She settled one more city throughout the game, which was quickly taken by Persia. I maintained friendly relationships with everyone, signing DoF's with the Iroquois for almost the entire game. Then in medieval Catherine backstabbed me. Once again, my archers and warriors held her a the choke point (that oligarchy policy is amazing). She sued for peace right about the time I hit gunpowder. I cranked out about 10 minutemen and went after her, taking out about four of her cities.

At that point I pretty much just turtled up and went for science. The Russian war had put me economy and happiness in the red. So I beelined theaters and then banks and was fine. I bought 6 city states and maintained them through the game. I stayed friends with everyone except for Cathy. Darius was a monster. He was pretty much permanently at war throughout the game. He took out Egypt, Russia and India within the span of about three turns in the late game. But I had my entire army hanging around what used to be Russia, so he never tried anything.

Hiawatha gave me a few scares. That guy can produce. He killed one of his city states and brought an entire carpet of doom through my territory. I was convinced I was in for a fight, but he politely moved though my borders and took out a Russian city on the other side of the map. I was sweating a bit though.

Washington was a powerhouse. Aside from the early wonders I took Hagia Sophia, Porcelain Tower, Sistine Chapel, Taj Mahal, Christo Redentor and Statue of Liberty. I got Notre Dame, Big Ben and Sydney Opera House in New York. And in Boston I built the Eiffel Tower.

Social Policies were the full Tradition branch. Patronage to scholasticism while I was waiting to hit the Rennaisance. Then went the full Freedom track while settling some Great Scientists. In the late game I started on Rationalism, timing the two free techs to grab the last spaceship parts. All of my cities were high in production. I churned out the spaceship parts in about 4 turns each.

This is my second game playing as Washington post patch. I really like him. America is versatile so you don't have to play with any set strategy going in. You can just take things as they come, which is nice.

Good game.

mcmpan
Jul 04, 2011, 12:55 AM
Looks like i am the only one who took the liberty path. Also i only had only one cs as an ally.
another remark: the future techs took like about 20 turns for me each. Before the patch it was about 12 turns. Or is it because i didn't had patronage and cs allies?

Tabarnak
Jul 04, 2011, 01:20 AM
Game: Civ5 GOTM 15
Date submitted: 2011-07-04
Reference number: 24520
Your name: Tabarnak
Game status: Science Victory
Game date: 1660AD
Turns played: 242
Base score: 831
Final score: 1731
Time played: 3:55:00
Submitted save: Washington_0242 AD-1660.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Tabarnak_C501501.Civ5Save

First time i fought so much when i go for other types of victories than domination. AI is more agressive but when you have army to defend and destroy other armies you can get large pots of gold from peace deals. You can see a write-up of the game here :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10648770&postcount=4

Liberty is freaking powerful ;)

punctuator
Jul 04, 2011, 01:22 AM
Future tech? never got there. I also had only 1-2 CS allies ever, and no patronage---I went Tradition/Rationalism (was hoping for Freedom, as I said, but when it became clear it wasn't going to be a factor I took Order instead for Factory science boost, although by then I already had the key spaceship techs).

It sounds like you had a much more peaceful game than I. I probably should have built more defense--but given how big Catherine's empire was, and how much military she had on my border, I don't think more Minutemen would have prevented her DoW. Not to mention hammers (and hammers that could have become food/gold/science) spent fending off China's early rush, in my game. I think war/peace might have made the difference between our finish dates. I'm surprised Liberty didn't slow you down more; the growth and wonder bonuses from Tradition seem way better than founding New York a little earlier, to me.

Edit: looks like early REX is stronger than a G.Lib. start. Those spots for Philadelphia/Boston are where I wanted to settle, but Catherine beat me there due to the G.Lib./NC start. I also built a worker first to chop out the G.Lib., which meant less scouting and fewer ruins. (early comments directed at mcmpan, edit @tabarnak who posted at the same time I did)

Tabarnak
Jul 04, 2011, 11:40 AM
Devs have announced in march that the new Tradition tree provides bonuses for Tall empires and Liberty for Wide empires. But in reality it was the opposite!

They finally got what it's supposed to be. Liberty is for Wide empires and Tradition for Tall empires now.

Gamewizard
Jul 04, 2011, 05:28 PM
Happy 4th of July, America!

I barely beat Catherine to the Spaceship; she only needed the last 2 parts.

I didn't play particularly efficient this game. Going one city too long allowed Russia to expand into my territory and made her a superpower. Taking Hiawatha's city-state ally by force sent a landslide of hate upon me by almost every other leader (ironically, not Russia) and ruined my plans for late game RA's. I should have avoided Patronage and got some happiness policies instead. There were a couple points in the game that I hit under -10 happiness, which is never good.

On the bright side, I was able to use B-17's to their maximum potential. With an Armory, you can produce Lvl3 B-17's which can have +50% evasion, +50% vs cities, and air repair. They are essentially indestructible; I think I only lost one to getting double hit by nearby AA Guns. Lvl4 can give them Logistics (attack twice) and then Lvl5 can boost the city attack to +75%. And then comes Stealth...pure rain of fire! Washington's +1 sight really synergizes well with the air attack, allowing Cavalry or Tank's to get close enough to see the city and then retreat to safety.

Wasn't the best finish by far, but it sure was interesting and fun!

killerloop
Jul 05, 2011, 07:22 AM
Science Victory at turn 264 (1770 AD)

A Warry experience! Everyone was fighting everyone, and most interesting when I bulbed for the final 12 techs, I was DoWed immediately by Hia and the money I saved for SS factories I had to put into units. I had to sell all my PSchools, Unis and Libs as well to keep my towns together.

I also made one big mistake, not bulbing Apollo earlier, that costed me 7 turns to build it, where I could already have built SS-parts. I will do a write up in the "in progress" thread. How do you upload Screenshots?

sebasm
Jul 05, 2011, 11:49 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-05
Reference number: 24523
Your name: sebasm
Game date: 1850AD
Turns played: 295
Base score: 671
Final score: 1137
Time played: 3:19:00
Submitted save: SEBASM_TG15_0295 AD-1850.Civ5Save
Renamed file: sebasm_C501501.Civ5Save

I did the new NC start, hardbuying the Libraries in my first two cities. Then settled two more quick close to the luxuries. I thought about settling next to the two cotton's close to Hia but figured that would spread me too much and with all the CS in between, the area would be hard to control.

Cathy decided to play tall and go for wonders (I've never seen her do this before) and beat me by 4 turns to the HG. After this failure I just beelined to HS, used the Liberty GE on it and then did the PT. Waited some turns more for the Rationalism opener and then started to spam RAs.

The problem was though that the AIs were either dead broke or asking for unfair exchanges most of the time.
- Wu built an army early on but never went on to conquest anyone which gimped her throughout. She never ever had more than 50g because of this.
- Cathy went tall, got almost wiped by Ramses. She lived with Moscow, then settled two cities next to Hia and managed to pull back into the game late on. Awesome comeback, babe! Still, she was at 0g for most of the game.
- Ghandi wend on a killing spree around turn 200, getting Wu and Ramses in the process
-Hiwa, Darius and The loner built and spammed RAs.

I had a long lasting war with Ramses up to about turn 200, Cathy never liked me but I was friendly with everybody else until the last 25 turns. That's when EVERYBODY DoW'd me (except for the Loner and the dead). In the end I had to sell buildings to survive but it was great fun, especially since the alternative was just spamming End Turn.

P.S. What do you guys use to get screenshots ingame?

Tabarnak
Jul 05, 2011, 03:27 PM
How do you upload Screenshots?

For myself i downloaded ScreenCaptor a free software. I take pictures(IMG format) with alt+prtscrn and i upload them at photobucket.com(made an account). I copy the direct link from picture on site and use the insert image icon(paste) when i post and usually put them in spoilers too.

You can use steam too but never worked on it.

leif erikson
Jul 05, 2011, 03:28 PM
I just hit the "Print Screen" key on my keyboard and the game saves a screen capture in the folder at: D:\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ScreenShots

How do you upload Screenshots?
You can attach them using the forum or you can upload them to a photo site such as photobucket or imageshack and link them to the forum using the image tools, image url

Tabarnak
Jul 05, 2011, 03:30 PM
I just hit the "Print Screen" key on my keyboard and the game saves a screen capture in the folder at: D:\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ScreenShots

Not working for me. That's why i use a software. With only printscreen from computer i always get a blank image and i don't know how to change format(which is very simple with ScreenCaptor).

sebasm
Jul 05, 2011, 03:30 PM
You can use steam too but never worked on it.
D'oh! Thanks! :)

leif erikson
Jul 05, 2011, 03:32 PM
Not working for me. That's why i use a software. With only printscreen from computer i always get a blank image and i don't know how to change format(which is very simple with ScreenCaptor).
Surprised, print screen works great here. :crazyeye:

To change formats or work with the image I use IrFanview, another free application. Been using it for 10 years... :thumbsup:

Aaronius
Jul 05, 2011, 10:15 PM
Civ5 GOTM 15
Date submitted: 2011-07-05
Your name: Aaronius
Game date: 1850AD
Turns played: 295
Base score: 1783
Final score: 3022

Wow. This game is getting more and more fun for me. I managed to play half of a game with Napolean before the GOTM came out. I wanted to know how the RAs would work (still not 100% sure how) and I also wanted to see what all this happiness business was about. Turns out it was a good practice because IMO both France and America are good civs for trying to play with an early expansionist approach and liberty track. Also, I learned that some of the wonders are very different. Obviously the Great ATM...err Library, but also the costs of some natl wonders went up, and some late wonders moved around etc. Basically, it feels like a new game, but one that is more intuitive for me. Also, I absolutely love the new graphs and maps at the end game....not perfect, but wonderful nonetheless! :goodjob:

With this GOTM I wanted to go with several cities fast and play for a liberty start. It turned out to be a pretty good strategy b/c there were lots of nice city sites around. I ended up with five cities in my opening gambit and completed liberty as my first policies. I built the GL and exploited it to the tune of $4320 between turns 55 and 295 :blush:. In retrospect I probably would have stopped with four cities for a few reasons, but five worked out pretty well.

Drawbacks to the expansive opening included an angry Wu and Catherine. I was a good neighbor but just too big. Cathy said it best when she said "fate has determined that we would be enemies by placing us together", or something to that effect. I thought it was a nice statement to make as she backstabbed me and ruined our RA :crazyeye:. However, I knew I was in for trouble with my expansive ways and I prepared accordingly. I bought a couple CS allies, including one with iron. I built all warriors instead of scouts as I like to do, one of them found some advanced weaponry (spearman), and I upgraded two of them to swords and backed them with a couple archers. This was more than enough to see off advances from Wu and Cathy. I bought another CS for more iron, upgraded the rest of my warriors, went longsword, and took Cathy and Wu's capitals. I let them sue for peace and give me everything they had, upgraded to crossbows and built a couple trebs, then finished them both off shortly after....cathy I left one crummy city so we could RA together and she never backstabbed me again, tho she always hated me ;).

By this point I was as big as I needed to be, but everybody on the continent was guarded with me. The only RAs that completed in the early game were with Hiawatha (a loyal friend early), Ramses Gandi and Cyrus. I decided to take out a military CS to gain another CS ally, and also to get more use out of my sweet but expensive woman destroying army. This proved too much for Hiawatha and Gandi as they tried the ol' tag team DOW (didn't they see what happened to Wu and Cathy :confused:). This ruined my RAs but allowed me to take some nice cities which gave me several new luxuries like silk and gems and more wales. Deli was so nice it ended up building a spaceship part as well :scan:. By the end of this war faze I had the left side of patronage in addition to all of liberty, plus I was halfway thru rationalism tree as well.

The sticking point in this game occured between AD1000 and AD1500. I had expanded more than I needed (to 15 cities, five domestic and 10 puppets). Every city had one or more lux but still happiness was an issue. I had every lux but silver thru my own lands or CS allies but still hit the dreaded -10 happy for half a dozen turns or so :mad:. I really wanted a few more cities to put my enemies permanently in the rearview, but it just wasn't possible to expand any further or even to grow domestically during this period. I ended up working thru the problem by annexing all ten puppets (I was rich biatch!) and building courthouses followed by Colosseum Theater Library University School. By this time I was just about thru with rationalism and I liked the way all the science buildings were adding happiness. This synergy between happiness and science is very powerful IMO. :)

As the now undisputed score leader, nobody was ever friendly again except for the turn after I slapped them up and made peace. This made RAs during the mid game problematic and sparse. No matter how nice I was with my plentiful luxs and RAs everybody kept DOWing me, and I couldn't go after them b/c of my happiness issues. I especially lusted after Hiawatha's capital b/c he managed to beat me to almost ten wonders (I had all the rest :lol:) Right about the time that I was finally getting my super annexed empire happy and productive the other leaders finally chilled out and just remained perma-guarded. I left my army in defensive pose and focused on leaving this miserable planet.

A deep and abiding peace summed up my late game, altho Cyrus got frisky with Ramses. I got another round of RAs with everyone, and almost had time to complete a third round of successful RAs before I won. I was getting rich by this point to rival even the mighty Harun on his island paradise by about turn 225. He was starting to nab CS allies and really take off so I traded him everything I had for all his money, stole all his good CS allies, and DOWed him. After the minimum turns and not a shot fired in anger between us he settled for a neutral peace and I had the money and power advantage to maintain my CS from there on out. He ended up grabbing some of the hostile and militant CS, but by the end of the game I had over $10000 to his $1000 so I could have bought him out of his allies no problemo. I had all eight of the good maritime and cultural CS's, RA's rolling, more than four primo spaceship cities with the amazing Deli in the empire. Nobody ever built the Manhattan Project so I was able to leave my spaceship parts unassembled until the last turn for extra satisfaction :king:. If by some chance Harun got to UN (extremely unlikely) I was ready to buy out all the CS with my vast sums of wealth.

I got really happy and really rich as the tech race went on and experienced two :) induced GAs between Turns 240 and 295. I missed my beaker goal of 1000bpt by 1800, but I reached it by 1820. I was building Apollo by the time anyone (Harun) hit the modern era, I had cash for spaceship factories where I needed them, and the parts came off smooth as can be. I would have been three turns faster if Cyrus hadn't conquered Ramses on the very turn when our RA completed :eek:, but it all seems fairly petty compared to the vastness of space.

In the interest of full disclosure I used two replays early in this game. This game with the new balancing has convinced me not to cheat anymore from here on out. As long as we stick with emperor for a while I think I can now tolerate something as horrible as an early lost warrior or the like :cry:. Let's see if I can stick to that pledge next time :mischief:

Thanks to our fearless Viking leader for the most fun GOTM yet!!!:goodjob:

sebasm
Jul 06, 2011, 01:06 AM
Oh, in my writeup I forgot to add the most important thing I actually wanted to say:

Apparently, if you lose the aluminium the Spaceship Factories still provide the 50% prod bonus.

When the world decided to kick my ass, Ghandi was sure to sweep Ragusa fast, removing my only source of aluminium. My rocket artillery ended up shooting wet noodles so I dismissed it and sent it packing for an all inclusive Caribbean holiday. But the spaceship factories were still cranking as before, with me sitting at -3 aluminium.

Looks like a nasty bug to me. Does anyone know if this is true for other resource buildings?

Aaronius
Jul 06, 2011, 06:33 AM
Oh, in my writeup I forgot to add the most important thing I actually wanted to say:

Apparently, if you lose the aluminium the Spaceship Factories still provide the 50% prod bonus.

When the world decided to kick my ass, Ghandi was sure to sweep Ragusa fast, removing my only source of aluminium. My rocket artillery ended up shooting wet noodles so I dismissed it and sent it packing for an all inclusive Caribbean holiday. But the spaceship factories were still cranking as before, with me sitting at -3 aluminium.

Looks like a nasty bug to me. Does anyone know if this is true for other resource buildings?

A long time ago I noticed the same thing with factories. If you lose the resource while you are building you are out of luck, but once they are built they work just fine without the resource... So I don't think its a bug.

Did you notice any hit to your overall science wealth or happiness with the -3 aluminum?

sebasm
Jul 06, 2011, 06:50 AM
Did you notice any hit to your overall science wealth or happiness with the -3 aluminum?
I didn't pay close attention to either of those. I didn't need science anymore while my income was fluctuating because of the buildings I was selling/units buying. Happiness was the same though. Too bad I don't have the autosaves anymore, but I'll be sure to look into it more when this happens again.

Still, this has to be a bug. I mean, it's easily exploitable: rent the resources while you build, ditch them afterwards.

Aaronius
Jul 06, 2011, 07:55 AM
I didn't pay close attention to either of those. I didn't need science anymore while my income was fluctuating because of the buildings I was selling/units buying. Happiness was the same though. Too bad I don't have the autosaves anymore, but I'll be sure to look into it more when this happens again.

Still, this has to be a bug. I mean, it's easily exploitable: rent the resources while you build, ditch them afterwards.

Its exploitable, but not necessarily a bug. In the case of spaceship factories I look at it this way: you need to import aluminum while you are building the factory, but once you have the factory, you don't continue to need new aluminum. With units on the other hand, they constantly need to be repaired and maintained, so you need to keep importing aluminum to keep them functioning properly. With factories and coal, it seems more like you would always need coal to run the factory, so maybe that one should be different. But I say go ahead and exploit if it works. It seems more a reflection of reality than cheating IMO.

leif erikson
Jul 06, 2011, 03:37 PM
With units on the other hand, they constantly need to be repaired and maintained, so you need to keep importing aluminum to keep them functioning properly.
Units seem to work the same way. During testing I was importing 2-Iron from Sydney and built a couple of Swords. Egypt outbid me for Sydney's affections and I lost access to the Iron for a few turns. The info panel showed that I had -2 Iron while my two units were alive and had no source of Iron. :hmm:

Aaronius
Jul 06, 2011, 06:59 PM
Units seem to work the same way. During testing I was importing 2-Iron from Sydney and built a couple of Swords. Egypt outbid me for Sydney's affections and I lost access to the Iron for a few turns. The info panel showed that I had -2 Iron while my two units were alive and had no source of Iron. :hmm:

In that case your swords should have fought at reduced strength, correct?

leif erikson
Jul 06, 2011, 07:43 PM
In that case your swords should have fought at reduced strength, correct?
Don't know for sure, have to check on that. :thanx:

Tabarnak
Jul 06, 2011, 08:04 PM
Yes this is the case. I think you suffer a 50% penalty of not having the ressource, which is huge! Take care of these ressources!

Aaronius made a nice analysis about the aluminium thing. I agree with him. Wasn't sure about the coal tho.

sebasm
Jul 07, 2011, 06:31 AM
Yup, the units definitely fight with 50% reduced strength, making them cannon fodder at best. A 23ish Strength Rocket Artillery is laughable.

And I actually had a game yesterday where Oda used a Horeseman to pillage my iron the same turn he DoW'd me, which was really sneaky and clever. More so since that brave rider was as good as dead and presumably knowing this, Oda used the weakest possible unit to do it. Yeah so in about 7-8 turns my xbows beat him to a pulp as he bravely charged the plains with his pikemen and archers but still, at least part of the war was clever.

Aaronius
Jul 07, 2011, 06:38 AM
Yup, the units definitely fight with 50% reduced strength, making them cannon fodder at best. A 23ish Strength Rocket Artillery is laughable.

And I actually had a game yesterday where Oda used a Horeseman to pillage my iron the same turn he DoW'd me, which was really sneaky and clever. More so since that unit was as good as dead and he used the weakest possible unit to do the pillaging. Well in about 7-8 turns my xbows beat him to a pulp, but still, clever.

I have noticed the AI is smarter in war as well. All of my AI opponents post patch have attacked me at about the times I would attack if I were them. They have also coordinated their attacks much better with their double and triple team DOWs.

In this last game I lost a surprising number of units in my wars considering I always had a tech advantage. The nerf to longswords and the buff to cities and archers is really making a difference in how I have to play. Defense is easier than ever, but taking cities without siege units seems more difficult than ever. I got minutemen so fast in my game and even they weren't dominant without siege support.

pontias
Jul 08, 2011, 07:18 AM
Nothing to add of any use but thanks for all comments and discussions - helped me win my 2nd emperor game. :king:

I can't submit though as I rushed my first library by mistake even though i was building GL. whole point was to try a GL start so I restarted.

AI were pretty passive. I took a couple of Russian cities as they annoyed me a bit, but apart from that, no dramas.

Farrapo
Jul 08, 2011, 09:19 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-08
Reference number: 24533
Your name: Farrapo
Game date: 1848AD
Turns played: 294
Base score: 1293
Final score: 2229
Time played: 6:23:00
Submitted save: Washington_0294 AD-1848.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Farrapo_C501501.Civ5Save

The early picks (turn achieved) were:

Research: Pottery (10), Calendar (22), Writing (31), Philosophy (47), Theocracy (Gr. Lib. - 48), Animal Husbandry (49), Mining (52), BW (55), IW (61), Archery (62), Wheel (64)

Washington: Monument (8), Scout (12), Worker ( 310 G - 23), Worker (23), Granary (32), Gr. Lib. (48), NC (60), Settler (500G - 60), Warrior (64)

Social Policies: (Tradition (14), Honor (16), Aristocracy (26), Warrior Code (43), Legalism (62), Oligarchy (Oracle -74), Monarchy (82), Landed Elite (106 - finshed Tradition)

I also kept a record of all the events (ruins, CS meetings, natural wonders) as well as all deals signed, but I won't bore everyone with that)

Observations:

Settled one tile west on hill for extra production.

Really wanted to use some Honor S.P.s, which had worked well for me in test games, but here there were not many barbs so the value was questionable. I only got 36 culture from barb kills. In retrospect, not worth it.

Filled out the entire Tradition tree - very much worth it

Decided not to use Liberty at all, just to be different. After Tradition only took S.P.'s in Rationalism and Patronage.

Wanted four cities, but only found two good build sites - did not like the spot to SE with only one luxury, lots of tundra.

Russia and China attacked me fairly early. Beat them back, signed generous peace agreements, and when expired diced to capture and annex Beijing as my fourth city. That may have been a mistake as it provoked India and Iroquois to attack me fairly soon. Had several wars with both and one more with Russia. Traded with all the others with no conflict.

Eventually captured and puppeted two Russian cities and two Indian cities. Long period of peace ensued until India attacked a couple of turns before my win.

The major error I made had to do with RAs. I wanted to use them to see how they work now. I signed four early, but both China and Russia broke theirs and that soured me. I did sign and renew some others, but overall did not do enough of them and it cost me a lot of turns developing the science.

I focused a lot on the use of Great People and that helped. I got at least five GS (might have been six), two GE, two GM, and a GA. Once I got a GS and GM on the same turn by accident, not design, but nice. I did not pay superb attention to which GP slots were being worked, but a bit more than usual and that helped.

Overall, the new patch worked well and seemed to me to be a major improvement. The game generally played about the same way and was not as radically different as I had thought it might be at first.

Farrapo
Jul 08, 2011, 10:29 AM
I uploaded my save file via the separate tool, but just in case it also has to appear here I will attach it.

Aaronius
Jul 08, 2011, 06:30 PM
Man, Farrapo beat me by 1 turn. Now I'm really mad at Cyrus

:mad::mad::mad:

sebasm
Jul 09, 2011, 02:16 AM
Yeah, well, you beat me by score. :p

slugster
Jul 09, 2011, 03:39 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-09
Reference number: 24536
Your name: slugster
Game date: 1570AD
Turns played: 224
Base score: 1135
Final score: 2579
Time played: 16:26:00

Very fun game!

Details from turn 1-179 can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10662842&postcount=16

After turn 180, I started calculating the end game. With the new RA system it has become quite a puzzle. Not sure that I like it, but at least the overflow can be somewhat managed (as others have discovered) by clicking deeper into the tech-tree.

Hiawatha declared war on me one last time (and cancelled another RA) and this time he had quite a few units. This forced me to use up some of my cash (I was saving for Space Factories) to upgrade my units, but in the end he was easily pushed backed.

I was heading for Nanotech in turn 209, but forgot to set the research correctly and got random overflow into the upper part of the tech tree :sad:. First I thought it had ruined everything (my RA median got screwed up as well), but I had another RA coming in at 215 and along with my own research I got back on track. My production was pretty good so with insta-space-factories it went quite fast after that.

Looking forward to next game!

Edit: Here is my cities at turn 220:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/206/tgs15urn220cities.jpg

avl8
Jul 09, 2011, 04:28 PM
Date submitted: 2011-07-09
Reference number: 24540
Your name: avl8
Game date: 1635AD
Turns played: 237
Base score: 959
Final score: 2040
Time played: 8:42:00
Submitted save: Washington_0237 AD-1635victory.Civ5Save
Renamed file: avl8_C501501.Civ5Save

That was definetely fun game! Actually my 3rd science victory, 2nd were like 4-5 months ago :)

sysp
Jul 10, 2011, 02:58 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-10
Reference number: 24541
Your name: Sysp
Game date: 1735AD
Turns played: 258
Base score: 957
Final score: 1876
Time played: 4:49:00

First post! (but longtime lurker)

Fun game, but it kinda almost played itself out after that nice GL start into Gardens.

I finished the game with 4 cities + one Russian puppet. I would have had Moscow two turns later but got lazy and didn't declare on Catherine before my Statis Chamber started building so I only had 4 turns of war (iirc). In hindsight, I should have rolled over Russia much earlier to maximize my score, everyone hated her and I had Mech Infantry and Artillery to her Longswords and Pikes. Ahwell, there is always next time!

leif erikson
Jul 10, 2011, 05:22 AM
First post! (but longtime lurker)

Welcome to CFC and GoTM. :cheers:

Game date: 1735AD
Turns played: 258
Congrats on your win. :thumbsup:

basta
Jul 10, 2011, 01:36 PM
Oh well, just read how to save after I just quit the game having not saved the file properly. Anyway, my first gotm but nothing spectacular, domination win on turn 314 with a score of 4087.

Really enjoyed it though, everyone was constantly DoWing me so I thought I'd squash the load of them--just took a while, particularly getting Beijing early without iron. Beelined crossbows and built tons; they got me China and Russia; upgrading them to rifles got me India.

Getting to Hiawatha's capitol, which was stuck in the mountains, took forever--had to build a road to it to get my artillery in.

Then the endgame of wearing down Arabia, who had that island all to himself. Built a dozen fighters and wore him down, then invaded--always a mess, but went better than expected; an easier nut to crack in the end than Hiawatha's mountain retreat.

Early game I had tons of goodie huts and great stuff--2x culture huts FTW! Built 4 cities, but I think you could have won it with 3. SPs: Tradition opener to get the tile growth, then filled out Liberty, Patronage and Order in that order.

Happiness wasn't that bad of a problem, even considering I had no stone but puppeted about 2 dozen cities at the end, but I had all the CSs but one on Arabia's continent in my pocket from about turn 100 onward. (That's still too easy to do IMO.)

isopaha
Jul 11, 2011, 11:56 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-11
Reference number: 24547
Your name: isopaha
Game date: 1924AD
Turns played: 344
Base score: 1137
Final score: 1672
Time played: 7:39:00

My strategy in the beginning was rapid expansion. By going to Liberty, I had 3 cities before any of the AI's had founded their second city. Then I cooled down a bit, but had my 4th before any other AI than Arabia had their 4th. I founded New York to the east first because it seemed the most crowded direction, and because I wanted to grab the dyes (by buying tiles) and the incense for trade, which proved useful as with 4 incense I always had something to trade with the AI's.

Philadelphia I founded close to Washington, to the west, because it seemed like a nice production city place with lots of (non-luxury) resources. Also later, with a great artist I managed to claim the 4th incense and the 6 irons. I still had time to found Boston North to claim the whales and a nice defensive position against future attacks. Later I founded Atlanta to the south to claim second dyes and to get a decent production/coastal city.

I had decided quite early that I won't have that much room to expand further than that, so I started putting effort into the city states. When I had maxed out Liberty, I maxed out Patronage. Most of the time I had 4-5 allied city states, which were useful especially in the beginning. They provided almost half of my culture and in the beginning a good deal of science and the odd great persons. They also acted as barriers against invasions and the militaristic ones provided some updated units to keep my army strong enough without building many units.

Tech-wise first I went to calender for the luxuries, then Philosophy for the Oracle. Then I went for Theology and got the Hagia Sophia. After I had finished it, I got a great engineer from the free GP pick, which I used for the Great Library which was still available that late.

I focused quite a bit on wonders. In Philadelphia I got GL and Taj Mahal + 3 nationals. In Washington I got the Oracle, Hagia Sophia, Porcelain Tower, Sistine Chapel, Eiffel + 3 nationals. Also tried Machu Pichu in New York, but got beaten by a couple of turns. I used the free tech on Education and later other free techs to get to Astronomy and to Scientific theory really early to boost my research. I also got early to Plastics, which really helped my reseach, after which I beelined to Rocketry and the space ship parts. Before that I focused mainly on gold, because I didn't really have to worry about military techs, though I got to Dynamite relatively early to use them in my only conquest war against China to capture Beijing quite late to get a good city (capital) before the conquering Persia.

The other wars I had to go through were all early, with Egypt, Russia and China declaring on me separately and once two at a time with just warriors up to swordsmen. I pushed them back really easily, though I didn't even kill a lot of units before they fell back.

In my game while Arabia maintained its superpower status all game, Russia was the other early superpower, while Egypt got wiped out early on. Persia rose as the score winner quite late with conquering everything he saw. I had planned a war to capture a mature Russian city, but Persia beat me to it with his blitzkrieg war.

I'm quite happy with my play in general, though some minor mistakes cost me a few turns in victory time. With my early rapid expansion I maintained a score lead for a time, but had to give it up to Arabia with his paradise island and later the rampaging Persia. I managed to get the most techs and even most policies, even though I didn't focus on culture. My military was adequate -I concentrated top of the line units in key positions, which seemed to be enough to keep most invaders at bay. I got a lot of golden ages, so gold was an issue only momentarily. By trading I got enough happiness to keep my empire happy most of the time. Like many others, though, the lack of iron caused me grey hair at times, when I tried to keep an up-to-date army.

This is my first GOTM (and my first post on an English speaking forum if I recall), so feedback would be appreciated :) I haven't played CiV nearly as much as Civ4, especially this year.

sebasm
Jul 11, 2011, 12:43 PM
Oh well, just read how to save after I just quit the game having not saved the file properly. Anyway, my first gotm but nothing spectacular, domination win on turn 314 with a score of 4087.
You might want to read the rules again. You are asked to win a certain VC. In this case it was Science. Getting a domination VC, while still cool, does not make your submission valid. :) Still, grats on the effort and see you next round!

leif erikson
Jul 11, 2011, 04:13 PM
You might want to read the rules again. You are asked to win a certain VC. In this case it was Science. Getting a domination VC, while still cool, does not make your submission valid. :) Still, grats on the effort and see you next round!
While it is true that we designate a VC, a player may win by any VC they choose and submit a valid game.

When we publish the results, players are listed by fastest date for the designated VC, then by fastest date for all other VC's and finally, in a separate listing, by score.

sebasm
Jul 12, 2011, 02:50 AM
Guess I should be reading the rules again then, ha? :lol:

basta
Jul 12, 2011, 10:59 AM

Oh don't worry, I know it isn't a "valid" submission and frankly don't care, I was just posting because I tried out the game, enjoyed it a lot, and wanted to leave a report to share my experience, FWIW. I'll definitely pay more attention next time, though ;)

tommynt
Jul 12, 2011, 11:23 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-12
Reference number: 24551
Your name: tommynt
Game date: 1480AD
Turns played: 208
Base score: 1376
Final score: 3356
Time played: 5:51:00
Submitted save: Washington_0208 - 1480 n. Chr..Civ5Save
Renamed file: tommynt_C501501.Civ5Save

puh, this thing took quite some time.

While my 1. 100 turns were pretty straightforward - wonder spaming a lot - after about turn 1000 the action really started - concquered russia and egypt and a bit of persia aswell - LS got nerfed a bit - but 3 of em + a gen still cut the butter ai.

It s a shame that they didnt fix ai action or diplomacy- it still declares war totaly random and fights so poor ... - at least random for me -

Sp been kinda: 2 trad - fill liberty - fill rationalism tree.

Think thats pretty much best choise for any non wargame now - patronage got nerfed too much - and trad tree sukz to bad to fill it early.
The "happy tree" looks now a bit better and I could imagine a game filling it right once class era starts and use the happy and cult boost to fill other trees after

used 7 scientists + rationalism + some RAs to rush throguh modern era - no RAs before - right my 1. RA was Dowed few turn before finish - that was enough to piss me off and do only RAs with civs I scared (killed) before.
This unpredicable AI really is against my "builders heart" and looks like military to show strength is only succesful way to play this game now.

But on other hand is killing too easy to be fun

edit: time played 5:51??? - this beast took me like 2 weeks - how can it show time as 5:51?

edit2: gonna write a bit more:
BO been something like like scout - monument - (buy worker, buy scout) - granny - GL (wait to finish for CS) - settler - NC - gardens - smith - Oracle - University - Observatory - more wonders.
Tech like - writing - Philo - traping - (rush CS) Calendar - Math - towards Astro - towards steel - towards public shools

GL is even stronger now and is a must build early on imo - you just have to make sure to get prequisite techs for a medival tech to rush.
Maybe doing lower tree after writing to math and enggineering for HG and a aque right afetr might be same good as Philo (NC) - rush CS.
But the NC boost is still huge and helps a lot.

Happyness been allways pretty sharp but somehow just "OK" with building every happy building available - had lot of pupets but the happy hit wasnt as bad as expected (had also like 1 new lux in each city I conquered)

edit2:

slugster
Jul 13, 2011, 03:33 PM
Very nice game, tommynt!

How many cities did you settle? And where?

LS got nerfed a bit - but 3 of em + a gen still cut the butter ai.

How did you get iron? Did you settle a city to get it or from CS? In my game i chanced on the CS's, but they refused to hook up the iron and I had to delay my conquering until minutemen+cannons

drlucifer
Jul 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
1818 AD.

Posted my experiences up to Astro (turn 108) in Game in Progress thread. Basic summary: Stonehenge/GL/NC/HS/PT/ND by then. Three additional cities- New York N, Boston E, Philadelphia W.

I met Arabia on turn 154 and they had ridiculous gold. They started buying up city states (which I wanted to help me get through Rationalism on time, plus the science was at least a minor plus) so I DOWd on turn 197. This had little consequences, I think. China did DOW me shortly after, and the Iroquois a bit after that. The Iroquois army was quite large and bombardment-heavy and they captured Philadelphia. I retook it after a while but it did slightly reduce science/culture output.

I entered Modern Era on turn 249, just before India conquered China and I retook Philly. I entered the Future era on turn 261 and completed Apollo on 263. Philadelphia built a booster (yes, started <10 turns after being recaptured, that western site was good for production plus the Factory wasn't destroyed), Boston built a component, and NY and DC each built a booster and a component. Won on 279, easily ahead in science.

Now it's time to ramble.

RAs have been nerfed but with PT and Rationalism they give you a (median) tech. So if you have 15 techs to go, you have 6 RAs coming due, Scientific Revolution, Oxford, and 6 GSs, you are done. You also do not need to think "Should I wait a few turns to sign this RA?" as I occasionally did pre-patch to make sure I'd be able to block Mathematics or something like that. In addition, Scholasticism has received an epic nerf somehow (was there something about CSs not building the NC anymore?), thus making RAs if anything more important than they were pre-patch.

Getting through Rationalism was hard. I finished it just in time, don't want to know how it would have gone if I'd let Arabia buy the 3 or 4 culture CSs I had. Those post- #10 policies (5 + opener in liberty, 1-2 + opener in Tradition, 3 + opener in Patronage) are tough, and I had Stonehenge, the Oracle, the CSs, I think the Sistine Chapel, and Monasteries.

Happiness was annoying, though I finally have some appreciation for the Americans' ability to lock down access to 3rd ring luxes on settlement of new cities.

AI seems very aggressive. It's not quite at the level of Total War (if Human = Neighbor + Not ally, then declare war) but I was in a fairly isolated position and got declared on four times, at least once by each neighbor. Also, Egypt and China got eliminated late so I wasn't the only one feeling the heat. Caveat: I had no military beyond a Warrior/Chariot Archer for most of the game. My next game I will try to develop a more numerous military but I know that when I'm playing for peace I'm not going to be close to the AI's raw numbers and so likely vulnerable to DOWs.

kcd_swede
Jul 14, 2011, 01:07 AM
Ghandi nuked me (Moscow). :cool:

I would actually have been first to space, I think... except for one little detail... the Arabs bought themselves a diplomatic victory.

The beginning game the AI were friendly. Then I went to take a CS by force to get iron. Still friendly. Then I decide its time to wipe China from earth... all of sudden I am worlds worst villain. From here on out, the only AI who did not hate me and regularly DOW me (usually all on the same turn) were the Arabs who I had not met at the time I was the aggressor on China + CS.

This is why Arabs could keep up... they were the only ones who will trade with me, but they trade with everyone else (tons of RA's).

The AI are very stupid. (I guess I'm even stupider for losing to them?:lol:) They DOW and refuse to make peace even when we all know I will kick their butts. They don't sit back and defend, they throw everything at an invulnerable target, then leave you to mop them up (the only thing that stops a total rout is that taking cities even just to raze them will eventually put you into "very unhappy" and your casualty rate gets too high). I think next time I just do like Basta and go for the win that is available rather than stubbornly aim for the designated VC. At least as long as we're stuck on Emperor difficulty...

tommynt
Jul 14, 2011, 06:24 AM
Very nice game, tommynt!

How many cities did you settle? And where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommynt View Post
LS got nerfed a bit - but 3 of em + a gen still cut the butter ai.
How did you get iron? Did you settle a city to get it or from CS? In my game i chanced on the CS's, but they refused to hook up the iron and I had to delay my conquering until minutemen+cannons

4 Cities overall,
Cap on Hill
1. one east towards russia (obvious spot ..)
2. North on Cow for whales
3. West, lot of horses and 2 Lux available there

anexed Moscow very late in game to build 1 SS part
had about 100 bakkers around turns 100 and 600 in the end

and well some think my playstyle might be "exploitive" but with this ai devs are offering and even patching it just isnt

Attaturk
Jul 14, 2011, 12:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date submitted: 2011-07-14
Reference number: 24559
Your name: Attaturk
Game date: 1550AD
Turns played:220
Base score: 1015
Final score: 2306
Time played: 3:04:00
----------------------------------------

Very fun game. My fastest science win ever. Love the new RA model.

Settled Washington on Incense close to a mountain (2 incense 1 sugar)
Settled New York, East on the hill close to a mountain (2 incense 1 dyes)

Later got three more cities from Cathy (she declared on me, I Had to respond), Moscow which build me a space part and two small cities with gold and wine.

Policies were:

Full Tradition (love the money, happy and pop boost. My final city sizes were:

Freedom Opened,

Rationalism Right Side
Rationlistm Left Side

Had one spare scientist which I did not use. I was going to use it for Plastics to boost my production, but Hia declared on me 1 turn before RA was complete, so I didn't get Refrigeration from him.

I saved all GS for the end game.

With new cool wonders, I was trying to hit at least GL, HG and +10 happy.

Part 1 GL-NC:

Science path: Pot-Wri-AH-Philo-Trap-(used GL for CS)-CS
Build Scout, Partial Monument, Granary, Completed Monument, GL, build Settler while waiting for Trap, GL, NC, Finish Settler.

Part 2 HG-Notred Dame (+10 food, +10 happy)

Sci: Arch-Wheel-Math (start HG) - Theo - (Start Sophie) - Edu - (Engineer from Sophie builds Notred Dame)

Part 3: Hard research astro

Bought University in Washington to speed things up and keep Wash on Wonder duty.

Just before hitting astro signed up 2 RAs

Part 4: Machinery - Physics - Chivalry - Printing Press - ... Scientific Theory

Cathy and Wu declared on me on turn 114.
I had two archers which I upgraded to Xbows.
Had one Pike (upgraded from warrior).
Bought myself a city state close to cathy which had 2 iron and built Two catapults which were upgraded to Trebs in a few turns.
Build two more pikes and went to capture a few Russian cities.

Wu offered peace which I took, 2 treb 3 pikes and 2 xbows were enough to grab 3 cities from cathy after which she was very peaceful. Lost one xbow during attack on Moscow.

Signed a round of 5 RAs ending around turns 170. Signed 7 RAs at about 170. (One got broken by Hiawatha).

City States, I mostly did not use.

I bought one on occasion if it had luxuries my cities demanded. I bought one for Iron to get me some catapults.

Close to the end, I wanted to finish rationalism so that I can use scientific revolution before RA completion starts hitting.

On the turn I finished Space Program, I used oxford univercity and the rest of the scientist to finish the rest of the tree.

Washington build times were

Moscow was far away, so I only had it build the engine at 9T + 1T travel to Wash

New York was close and build two cheaper parts 6T-5T

I think this is all.

Derfel_82
Jul 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
Reference number: 24562
Your name: Derfel_82
Game date: 1854AD
Turns played: 297
Base score: 1307
Final score: 2215
Time played: 4:40:00
Submitted save: Washington_0297 AD-1854.Civ5Save

Settled Washington on Incense close to a mountain (2 incense 1 sugar)
Settled New York, near whales and sugar next to Florence
Settled Boston, East on the hill close to a mountain (2 incense 1 dyes)

Allied with Florence and Bucharest very early so i tried to have more CS to

Conquered Belgrade after.

Go to Liberty SP - Patronage and Rationalism not in this order

A lot of DoW (i did few units in begining), some time i´m in war whit Wu, Cathy, Ramesses and Hiatha.

Took a lot of cities of Hiatha and Wu.

But i can´t do much RA because everione hates me.

Sorry about my English.

Maxym
Jul 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Reference number: 24564
Your name: Maxym
Game date: 1645AD
Turns played: 239
Base score: 1104
Final score: 2348
Time played: 23:47:00
Submitted save: Washington_0239 AD-1645.Civ5Save

My first full game after new patch, it reset on me when i was playing GOTM 12 or 13 with Elisabeth and diplo and it added at least extra 50 turns to my finish there. Here somehow i improved my previous best science finish by 50 turns, go figure.

SP wise I went for trad opener, honor for culture kills (made lots of those), and liberty for free settler then filled patronage, one commerce and finally most of rationalism. built ton of wonders, thanks to C.Itza run GA for last 60 or 80 turns and still had my GGs to burn so i should have started earlier.

I think AI played muc better strategically, still not a master tactician, but with nerfed LSM i had my counterattack on Russia stall at Moscow gates. What i liked was that once Cathy was beat she turned friendly for the rest of the game, and since she was a RA and resource buyer i left her alone. When i was singning peace to rest my two LSM (lack of iron) and archers i fully expected to DOW her soon to get more luxuries. Since i was getting them in peace deal and i saw she was nut turning on me i started signing RAs with her and obviously left her in peace.

I noticed i only got dowed when my borders touched with a neighbour, Wu was a repeat offender and it cost her dearly. 2nd Dow was a backstab as well, but at that point she only had Beiojing and i was going to take it for my 3rd spaceship city. I settled only 1 besides capital and ended up with 4 pupets.

Also AI ganged up on Darius whom in medieval times seemed to be running away with it. they all asked me to join and i did since he took out Quebec, my maritime ally, and i did not appreciate that. So i liberated it and he sued for eace soon after.

Arabs were swimming in gold and i had to keep buying my culture and food CSs back from him. Hiawatha stayed peaceful but he did have a boatloads of troops crossing through my territorry at all times. towards the end i was denunced by most, not sure for what reason prolly coz i was way ahead by that time.

it was a really fun game, i really like the new RA format and think this game is going in the right direction. cant wait for a new one.

subber
Jul 15, 2011, 08:18 AM
Cheers everybody,

heres a short overview of my game - my fastest ever science victory.

Date submitted: 2011-07-15
Reference number: 24566
Your name: subber
Game date: 1882AD
Turns played: 311
Base score: 1210
Final score: 1951
Time played: 3:58:00
Submitted save: Washington_0311 - 1882 n. Chr..Civ5Save
Renamed file: subber_C501501.Civ5Save

Until turn 80, please refer to the game in progress section.
Afterwards I built the HG, PT. No other Civ built any wonder until around turn 120.
Got Astro around t110. Built also Eiffel Tower lateron.
I built 4 cities in total. Capital on the Hill 1W, NY to the right at the mountain with 2 incense, one city west at the whales and the fourth on the island off the coast with sheep stone and 2 fish.

I did not attack the Chinese anymore but rather attacked Russia and took almost all of its cities and puppeted them. Lots of resources later on(oil, coal, aluminium).

Allied with 7 CS, with all of the patronage tree filled out.

Could have rolled over Ghandi who had the north of the continent and quite some military (east was with Darius). The Arabs had a lot of money and military forces but were never a threat. Others neither.

At end game getting two free techs from the respective SP was a help.

Versus my previous games (400+ turns) this game was really fast. Could have been sub 300 with more management, for example didnt build Oxford and didnt max out RAs. I havent been able to get a lot of cash from resources anymore - sometimes just 100 gold for lux.

Finished spaceship when Ghandi and Arab finished Apollo.

I assume though that the game now more intelligently manages the great person slots in factory / university etc. All my slots were filled everywhere.
Happiness was mostly between -3 and +7, could have improved with SPs, but others were more important...

DaveMcW
Jul 15, 2011, 08:46 AM
I scouted west, then moved my settler onto the hill. Build order was: Scout, Scout, (purchase worker), Settler, (purchase worker), Granary, (free settler), Great Library, Monument, National College.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/38/tsg1538.jpgWhen I saw that all three cities could build Observatories, I decided to focus my happiness on vertical growth. I didn't build or conquer any more cities for the rest of the game.

I did attack Belgrade to steal a couple workers and create a couple great generals.

Washington built Great Library, Hagia Sophia, Porcelain Tower.
New York built Hanging Gardens, Notre Dame.

I allied 6 city-states and unlocked Scholasticism while waiting for Porcelain Tower / Rationalism.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1959/tsg1592.jpgCatherine declared war on me, but I easily held the mountain chokepoints and took straight peace when she offered it.

I signed all 9 of my research agreements during the Renaissance. 3 were used to beeline for Public Schools, and the others were saved for Industrial/Modern techs.

I used two great scientists for Electricity, which bumped up the median tech and allowed me to clear Metallurgy -> Railroad in two RAs. Then I used my remaining scientists to unlock Rocketry on turn 172.

Free Tech Stats:
9 Research Agreements
6 GS from cities
1 GS from Porcelain Tower
1 GS from Hagai Sophia
1 GS from Liberty
1 from Oxford University
1 from Scientific Revolution (should have skipped Scholasticism to finish it faster!)

I also popped a final GS after the tech tree was done, and used him for a golden age.

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/7373/tsg15200.jpg
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9860/tsg15201.jpg

tommynt
Jul 15, 2011, 10:59 AM
gj Dave - thought my 208 was pretty good allready - Im just figuring that u can buy spaceship parts - with that knowledge I might have shaved of few (lot) turns .... didnt even think about that.

Well seems RAs are still the way to go - had about 600 bakkers (with maxed science more like 700) in the end while u got 300 (wells proly sold some buildings) and still ur ahead - just wonder why for example Iroqu didnt DOW you with your city kinda in their territory.
Civs Dowed me totaly random all game

slugster
Jul 15, 2011, 01:01 PM
yep gg Dave!

I also had a city up close to Hiawatha and got DoW'ed twice (both time costing me a RA), but my city was settled in turn 80ish while Dave settled before turn 40. Maybe Hiawatha didnt see his city as much as a provocation as mine? (which was right on his border at that time)

DaveMcW
Jul 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
You can't buy spaceship parts, my income is negative from buying every cultural CS on the map. ;)

The capital built the final part in 7 turns without a spaceship factory, so it didn't matter much. It's all about when you finish the tech tree.

Attaturk
Jul 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
Dave, amazing 201 finish!

I noticed that you and tommynt settled the capital on hill tile next to the mountain, as opposed to on the incense across the river (also next to the mountain).

That position grabs more luxuries and specials, plus allows to work extra hill tile, brings and takes care of the low production incense tile that cannot be improved much for food or hammers.

I wonder what were you reasoning for settling on the hill.

Also, you settled New York a tile away from river, as opposed to, say on the hill across the river, that would have grabbed an extra luxury and also would have benefited from a watermill.

DaveMcW
Jul 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
Yes the incense is a better site, but you need map knowledge to know there is a 3rd luxury.

New York was getting the Hanging Gardens, so I didn't care about rivers that much. I tried to maximize hills and minimize conflict with Russia.

Attaturk
Jul 15, 2011, 04:36 PM
Another question. Do you guys sign RA all on one turn or one turn apart?

In my initial play through I signed final 7 RAs one turn apart.
I did a replay and signed all 7 on on turn. It look as if all on one turn is better. I ended up with the same research position on the same turn even though only 6 RAs were completed (Poor Wu got destroyed), so I only got 6 bulk RAs.

I think that signing 7 RAs in one turn is better, because it allows 6 turns of research into the technology of your choice, as opposed to spending 7 turns to guide where RAs land.

What is your experience?

Tabarnak
Jul 15, 2011, 06:21 PM
Awesome games we have here! I tought the new patch would make science victories more harder(longer) since they added some new techs to get and more aggressive AIs. I played my game only 2 days after release(wasn't sure about a lot of things when i tried that) and i pulled a better time than any other science games before!

As i can see i'm not the only one, everyone seems to have improved their finish times. Did they really intended to let players finish earlier? Are we gonna have another patch soon? :lol::crazyeye:

I tought you would finish under 200 turns Dave. I'm disappointed...:rolleyes:

Haha nevermind, awesome game as always.

# of luxuries per cities has still a large influence for gold income. Had 2 cities with 1 total lux only...didn't help for sure. I wasn't comfortable to settle too far and i got beat to whales by China i think. I will check this more attentively next time.

JungleIII
Jul 16, 2011, 01:01 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-16
Reference number: 24574
Your name: JungleIII
Game date: 1890AD
Turns played: 315
Base score: 2553
Final score: 4052
Time played: 14:18:00
Submitted save: JungleIIIWashington_0315 AD-1890.Civ5Save
Renamed file: JungleIII_C501501.Civ5Save

I barely had time to finish game, and always wish I could wander off and get an earlier victory, but I will keep to the intended path as requested. Since it was a new format/version of the game, I would play a little longer anyway.

I know the game is supposed to be harder after the patch, but I had trouble seeing much difference and wonder if it's just that we had a decent map and setting to work with that made it seem no harder than pre-patch.

Anyway - good game and look forward to no pre-determined victory path someday.

tommynt
Jul 17, 2011, 05:07 AM
I noticed that you and tommynt settled the capital on hill tile next to the mountain, as opposed to on the incense across the river (also next to the mountain).

That position grabs more luxuries and specials, plus allows to work extra hill tile, brings and takes care of the low production incense tile that cannot be improved much for food or hammers.

I ll allways settle a hill if i dont know a position which is better for sure

MrWhite
Jul 17, 2011, 06:49 AM
Date submitted: 2011-07-17
Game date: 1828AD
Turns played: 284
Base score: 1562
Final score: 2789

I am optimistic about the changes in the game. It seems like more fun playing.
I had expected a harder game. It even seems it was going easier then before the update!
Maybe that was due to the map?

I had a NC start, took out the Chinese while I had the chance and late in the game I also made Hiawatha taste some steel (well, they were bullets by that time).
Meanwhile my tech was much faster then anybody else, I even believe that the RA's gave me more science now!

It was fun playing the game and I look forward to the next. :)

Banman
Jul 18, 2011, 02:48 PM
Date submitted: 2011-07-18
Reference number: 24582
Your name: Banman
Game date: 1905AD
Turns played: 325
Base score: 1285
Final score: 1976
Time played: 6:34:00
Submitted save: TSG15Washington_0325 AD-1905.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Banman_C501501.Civ5Save

my first GOTM submission --> fun game w/the new patch.

Settled in place and did a GL library start, picked up NC after ... Set up a 4-city core, held off on super-frequent RAs until I had rationalism.

Was attacked by China very early (warrior time) when I was on the edge of getting CS from GL, wiped out their army but didn't have the forces to crack Beijing, so we made peace and were friendly for the rest of their history. Russia attacked out of the blue somewhere in the renaissance, but wasn't able to hold out as I was just about ready to roll out artillery --> conquered mainland Russia except for one coastal city on tundra. Eventually the Iroquois attacked a few turns before my victory, but I allied the military CS between us right beforehand and they got hung up there ... undoubtedly could have plotted my tech path and build sequences tighter to get a better time, but was a fun game, thanks much!

xiziz
Jul 31, 2011, 08:57 PM
First off, I did not manage to upload it to the GOTM-server, so I attached it to the post here, said "Sorry! Your file does not appear to be for a current Game.". I'm probably a little on the close side to the deadline, though it does say eight hours on the website, so I attached the save to this post. :)

Had a very peaceful game, just playing with the new patch, first game as Washington and first game playing the new patch, had a little to much to do with work as of late. Could have done it sub 300 with a little tighter play, I think the RA system worked really well and I percived the AI harder while negotiating(not accepting fair deals as much, costlier to bribe them to war, and may times not even cash would sway them on eachother).
The AI did a good time killing eachother off, three civs had gotten their capitals captured by the end, only Arabia was saved from war. I got invaded by a renaissance Iroquois just as I hit Electronics, so I took the opportunity to grab three puppets. I got a lot of wonders, settled three cities(Washington, New York and Boston). All three were solid production cities, a little more TP's could probably have shaved some turns on research, as would saving a GS for use to pop Nanotech, since I had to hard research most of that, got three RA's coming in at turn 307 which finished it off, after waiting for eight turns after completing all parts save the Stasis Chamber.

Fun game though, but I think it was on the easy side. I was a little worried that Arabia would build UN, since he had allied all city states, and by a lot too, I tried to wrestle a maritime out of his grasp, but gave up, it was costing to much.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/1091/2011080100002.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/2011080100002.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Edit: With the save uploaded, I've removed it from the post. And attached a picture. :)

AlanH
Aug 01, 2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks for testing the limits of date handling on the new server :)

I've fixed the problem, and uploaded your file. Results were:

Date submitted: 2011-08-01
Reference number: 24669
Your name: Xiziz
Game date: 1886AD
Turns played: 313
Base score: 972
Final score: 1567
Time played: 6:28:00
Submitted save: TSG15_Xiziz.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Xiziz_C501501.Civ5Save

xiziz
Aug 01, 2011, 05:49 AM
Thanks Alan! :goodjob:

Half Nelson
Aug 03, 2011, 02:50 PM
Game date: 1840AD
Turns played: 291
Base score: 1014
Final score: 1748

Pre-holiday notes:- Enjoying this game but will probably only get to post an “in-progress” report as I’m going on vacation and won’t return until close to the game deadline. Settled on the sugar and went for GL whilst taking early Liberty SP (worker then settler). I settled New York on the S Coast to the West of the mountains (lots of hammers plus 2 fish in third ring, should be my military powerhouse) then Philadelphia next to mountains SE of capital (for incense+dyes). Stole a couple of workers from barb camps. After GL, went NC then Hagia Sophia (GE for Porcelain Tower) and am currently almost finished Notre Dame (which seems almost essential for happiness now). Will pop Astro next turn and my 4-visibility scout will then head out to try and find the missing AI. Very peaceful start:- friends with everyone and DoF with Iroquois and Russia. Held back on RA until PT was built:- I now have 2 RA in place which will mature after I take Rationalism in next couple of turns (not sure if these will get 50% or 100% bonus?). I then plan to max out on RA and DoF as far as possible. I used my money so far on purchases (library, couple of archers) and swordsman upgrades (following iron trade with Iroquois). CS seem less attractive in the new patch, with money harder to find and a greater focus on happiness. Needing a fourth city, I settled Boston on the N rivermouth towards China (next to whales). In retrospect, I should have settled here earlier and bought up the furs before they were overrun by a CS (culture bomb at some point?). If I get Notre Dame, I might give the Minutemen an opportunity to show their stuff (Beijing would be very nice!), otherwise I hope for peaceful progress until Radar:- then I must try out a B17 on something (even if only a barbarian camp!).

Post-holiday notes:- Did get to complete! Plugged RAs as much as possible. Inevitable wars with Russia (who had Himeji Castle), initially ended in stalemate. Annoyingly, I teched so quickly from gunpowder to rifling that I only completed a single Minuteman! Built a B17 (in Armoury city) which very rapidly gained Logistics:- a very mean machine which, with a couple of infantry (later Mech Inf, including my upgraded Minuteman) and rocket artillery, progressively (i) captured Beijing (ii) captured Belgrade (for Alu) (iii) liberated two city states from Russia before (iv) turning on the Iroquois (who DOW as I completed Apollo). Used all 4 cities to build rocket parts, buying a couple of SS factories to speed things up. All-in-all, a useful trip through the revised SP trees and the new RA process. RAs with PT and Rationalism are very strong, especially if you lay out a preferred path on the Tech Tree.

MAntoninus
Aug 06, 2011, 05:33 PM
Lost in 1918. I had the cockpit and the three boosters, but Harun Al Rashid had 35000 gold and 14 allied City States...so he won diplomatically thanks to the Russians building the UN for him (they had tech lead, he did not).

The Arabia play was nice, I took too long to explore and as a result didn't meet him until later, and then I didn't take his financial threat seriously enough.

Roga Danar
Aug 15, 2011, 07:23 PM
Just finished the game today (though obviously well after the deadline). Finally finished in 1938. How the heck does everyone work so fast!?

Great scores!