View Full Version : R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Gedemon
Aug 15, 2011, 05:59 PM
http://hfr-rehost.net/preview/self/de1c9a588b324a8f608e51e7eb63df032cd395ef.jpg (http://hfr-rehost.net/self/de1c9a588b324a8f608e51e7eb63df032cd395ef.jpg)

R.E.D. WWII Edition

R.E.D. WWII Edition is a total conversion wargame using danrell's units and based on the European Landmass map by NiRv4n4 (Europe 1939 scenario and North America / Europe 1936 scenario) and Genghis Kai's G.E.M. map conversion (Earth 1942 scenario) .
Research, Culture, and Happiness are deactivated.

Features:

Hotseat: local multiplayer !
Frontline: units can capture tiles. (or liberate your allied/friends tiles)
Supply lines: units that are not connected to a city won't get reinforcements and get a malus in combat.
Reinforcements: personnel and materiel are needed to "heal" your units.
Retreat: units will retreat under heavy casualties or from captured cities.
National units: each great power have it's own set of units models
New unit types: over 100 types of units (see the spreadsheet here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlyP3rZ7KU2JdEtGYXJiQ2stQzVqa0NueWNzbHRae mc&hl=en_US) for statistics on already added and planned units)
Use projects to upgrade existing units or research new ones
Auto-naming for units
Accurate european map with 5 playable civilizations and 31 CS representing the other European nation, with complete text entry.
Custom diplomacy to ensure that allies and axis nations enter war in the historical side.
AI override for fighters (interception / air sweep).
AI override to force destroyers/cruisers to hunt submarines when they attack.
AI override to force healing of units when needed.

If you want to help/contribute to the mod, there is a development thread here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=431344)

Scenario list :

Stalingrad (map size: small) : Play as Germany or U.S.S.R. for the control of Stalingrad

Europe 1939-1945 (map size : large) : Play as Germany, Greece, Italy, France, U.K. or U.S.S.R. on the European and North African theatre.

Europe/USA 1936 (map size: huge) by T_KCommanderbly : Prepare WWII as Germany, Italy, France, U.K., U.S.A or U.S.S.R. (fast computer recommended, with a minimum of 4GB RAM)

Earth 1942 (map size: giant) by T_KCommanderbly : Take control of China, Germany, Italy, Japan, France, U.K., U.S.A or U.S.S.R. on a giant earth map (minimum recommended configuration for this map: 3Ghz quadcore CPU and more than 4GB memory on 64 bits OS)

Credits

see the full credits list (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=484955).

Gedemon
Aug 15, 2011, 06:00 PM
Screens

- Diploscreen of U.S.S.R.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=295543&d=1310697830

- Loading screen of England

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=295544&d=1310697830

Gedemon
Aug 15, 2011, 06:01 PM
Concepts

1/ Reinforcements

To heal 1 hit point, any unit need "reinforcements", a combination of "personnel" and "materiel". Some unit will use more personnel (Infantry), some more materiel (Tanks), some a bit of both (Light Tanks)

Personnel are generated from your total empire :c5food: food production, from specific buildings in cities (see tooltips in construction list), from "We Need You" process in cities, and you receive a portion of what your friendly and allied city-states are producing for themselves.

Materiel are generated from your total empire :hammers: production, from specific buildings in cities (see tooltips in construction list), from "Buy War Bond" process in cities, and you also receive a portion of what your friendly and allied city-states are producing for themselves.

"We Need You" is proportional to the city :c5food: food production, "Buy War Bond" is proportional to the city :c5gold: and :hammers: production. Those two process are important, and quite useful with a bit of micromanagement.

On some maps there are "convoy" units that move automatically on maritime routes under specific conditions and bring you personnel, materiel, gold or new units.

2/ Retreat

When it take enough damage (defending in melee combat) to make it think that 3-4 attacks of this level will kill it, an unit will try to retreat from it's position.

Examples : Infantry at full health (75hp) can take 10 damage from a tank and won't retreat, but at half health (37hp) it will. Introducing morale is planned, but still not done.

Unit will retreat to one of the 3 plots opposing the attack direction, if none are free, the unit will get half more damage (5 in above example), but will always keep at least 1hp.

Retreating from city is more specific, a unit is not killed in a captured city, it will try to escape before it happens, and will loss hp in the process. If there's a free valid plot just around the city, it will go there, else it will be transferred to a nearby city, with a bigger hp penalty.

All routed units will lost 2 moves for the next turn.

3/ Frontline

Units capture enemy territory when moving on his tiles. The territory map is memorized at game start, and you can liberate old territory from friend/allied civs.

Some units don't capture tiles, like special force and artillery.

4/ Buildings

Some buildings require another to be available (ex: Land Factory require a Factory), and some will block the construction of other (ex: a city with a Land Factory can't construct any Air Factory). Units will require specific buildings. Use the mouse over help text in the production screen to know which buildings or units will be made available by the one you're about to build.

5/ Projects

Projects can be produced in cities with special buildings. New models (example: T-34) projects require a Military Academy, which require Barracks to be constructed. Models evolution (ex: T-34 to T-34/76) require either a Military Academy OR the building needed to construct the unit (a Land Factory in that example)

Projects are unlocked around specific dates, or after units from a specific type have gained enough experience from combat.

There is another kind of project called "Military Operation". Those are in beta testing and only two of them are available ATM, for Germany on the Europe 1939 map. Those projects allow fast deploiement of units in a theatre of operation (example : "Operation Weserübung" will deploy 3 paratroops division (the AI get more) in Norway for Germany. A Military Base is needed to work on such projects.

wulfy
Aug 15, 2011, 06:51 PM
My Extract freezes on 71 of 87 files for the R.E.D WWII Edition?

Gedemon
Aug 15, 2011, 07:10 PM
My Extract freezes on 71 of 87 files for the R.E.D WWII Edition?

just tested both files, downloaded and extracted without errors, what program do you use ?

wulfy
Aug 15, 2011, 07:47 PM
Windows 7 and save as sry, IE9 too.

Failure is in game when installing, CIV5 freezes.

Gedemon
Aug 15, 2011, 07:52 PM
and the ingame browser failed to install them too ?

wulfy
Aug 15, 2011, 08:12 PM
Correct

danrell
Aug 15, 2011, 09:16 PM
wow wow , I test it first :goodjob:

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 15, 2011, 10:30 PM
Mine installed fine,

anyways after playing this here is what I thought...

Since I personally don't think there is enough units I gave the Germans, French, Soviet Union and UK a bunch more units then tested it, more realistic anyways. I played as the United Kingdom on Diety.

So basically I have never seen an AI play militaristically so well ever in civilization V. So war starts and Germany wipes out Poland in about 3 months, while France and I were occupied, we held them but we couldn't push into Germany. So after Poland was finished they brought there troops to the west, wiped out Belgium and the Netherlands to say the least and defeated many of my troops. Meanwhile they were able to capture strasbourg and have wiped out Denmark too. France is brilliant too, they have created tanks like crazy and have held the massive German offensive for now. Germany landed troops in Britain, I was able to defeat them but had to pull my troops from France. Thats where I left off. I would also like to add that German U-boats have been attacking my reinforcements to France which is always a plus for realism.

Things I would change:

- I would add a lot more units to the scenario, it makes things more interesting and the AI seems to be more aggressive and potent at least with my experiance.

- I think it would be nice if regular infantry wasn't as powerful as the unique infantry maybe make their strength about 30 or something.

- IMO city's are too powerful, realistically it shouldn't take 5+ turns to take a city however when units are stationed in that city it should be powerful especially with fortifications.

- I think infantry should be cheaper to produce, and compared to tanks as it's set now you might as well spend the extra turns getting the tank instead of the infantry.

- The Artillery should be more powerful, and are you going to combine it with the infantry eventually?

-I think dive bombers should get a promotion verse ground units

Otherwise it looks really nice, really good job this is deffinently the best mod I have played definently recommend it.

Koenvanderven
Aug 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hey, i've got the same problem with the extraction, game freezes at 71/87 files

MaxRiga
Aug 16, 2011, 12:57 PM
I just wonder how powerful my PC should be to play this scenario. It looks like it might take 2 minutes per turn ...huh

Gedemon
Aug 16, 2011, 12:58 PM
Failure is in game when installing, CIV5 freezes.
Hey, i've got the same problem with the extraction, game freezes at 71/87 filesStrange... there are only 72 files is that part...

Could you try using 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) ?

Copy the R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 5).civ5mod file to your mod folder, right click on it, use the context menu of 7zip and select extract to "R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 5)\"

Mine installed fine,

anyways after playing this here is what I thought...

thanks for the report, it's always usefull :D

Things I would change:

- I would add a lot more units to the scenario, it makes things more interesting and the AI seems to be more aggressive and potent at least with my experiance.
I don't want to have too many unit at the same time on the map (performance issues), but I do plan to add some special reinforcements to the AI and the player, maybe on triggered events or via project.

For example, give Italy a "Africa conquest" project that when completed will give some units to Italy in Libya near Tobruck to attack Egypt, in the same time, give a "Reinforce Egypt" project to England if Italy start working on the "Africa conquest" project, and finally add a "Afrikakorps" project to Germany if Libya lose some territory to England...

- I think it would be nice if regular infantry wasn't as powerful as the unique infantry maybe make their strength about 30 or something.I plan to give unique ability to the special infantry units, but it should be less powerful than the regular one, being smaller units. But I do agree it need balancing.

- IMO city's are too powerful, realistically it shouldn't take 5+ turns to take a city however when units are stationed in that city it should be powerful especially with fortifications.that need balancing, yes.

Remember I've only added early units, heavy bombers when available will be very strong against cities, and there will be assault guns...

They're becoming strong too early maybe, I may have to try different flavor value, so the AI focus more on units than defending buildings (or maybe add more pre-request to those buildings)

I may try to give them a lot more defense when a unit is stationed inside if possible, I think the AI is already placing units in menaced cities, so this modification won't penalize it too much as some other may...

- I think infantry should be cheaper to produce, and compared to tanks as it's set now you might as well spend the extra turns getting the tank instead of the infantry.Yep, I've already lowered it cost, maybe I will do it some more.

But the cost in reinforcement is very different, infantry use mostly Personnel where Tanks use mostly Materiel.

Maybe I should tweak value so that there are even more personnel produced than in current version to make infantry cheap to reinforce.

- The Artillery should be more powerful, and are you going to combine it with the infantry eventually?
I'll like to give artillery a support fire function, give them an ability against troops morale (when implemented), and maybe a bigger boost against cities. But I'm not sure about buffing their combat stats.

And I may combine it with anti-air.
-I think dive bombers should get a promotion verse ground units"Attack Aircrafts" should have one already (click picture for full size):

http://hfr-rehost.net/thumb/http://self/pic/32e2723906f4f56a9d0db1c5381e114d0cd938f5.jpeg (http://hfr-rehost.net/fullsize/http://self/pic/32e2723906f4f56a9d0db1c5381e114d0cd938f5.jpeg)

Some don't get it ? If so, I'll have to see why...

Otherwise it looks really nice, really good job this is deffinently the best mod I have played definently recommend it.
Thank you :D

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
Regarding the Dive Bombers I think they are getting the promotion, I just wasn't sure it just felt that they were only doing -2 damage to infantry units, which wasn't that effective. So maybe increase it, it would deffinently help the German Army if they were more powerful.

And I understand with less units, if you make cities less powerful then the need for more units is decreased.

The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I wasn't able to save my game (maybe its because of too many units...), but I think auto-save is working.

And I would love to help out

Gedemon
Aug 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
Regarding the Dive Bombers I think they are getting the promotion, I just wasn't sure it just felt that they were only doing -2 damage to infantry units, which wasn't that effective. So maybe increase it, it would deffinently help the German Army if they were more powerful.
Yes, I'll raise the promotion value against land units.

And I understand with less units, if you make cities less powerful then the need for more units is decreased.
Units higher HP should compensate, you won't kill a unit against a city easily (unless attacking from sea or across rivers, but that's another problem - that's a big one for the AI btw)

I don't want cities to fall too quickly at first, and when conquered most of their defensive buildings will be destroyed, so it could switch side numerous time during a battle around it.

The other thing that I forgot to mention is that I wasn't able to save my game (maybe its because of too many units...), but I think auto-save is working.
To allow saving of the data tables used by the mod, it has to perform an action before allowing the player to save a game.

This is done automatically when pressing F11 for auto-save, but when clicking on the save button from the game menu, the save menu is not called (I wouldn't be able to perform the data tables save from this menu), and instead an auto-save with custom name is done. It can take times to save the tables, and you should get a notification with the save name after quitting the menu.

wulfy
Aug 16, 2011, 06:13 PM
On the extract issue, seems the Windows 7 zip utility is corupting the download smaller download. However, I can not figure how to get 7-zip to perform the download. Any help would be . . .

Still no joy, maybe you could load just the smaller mod on the hub?

I'm good, thanks guys.

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 16, 2011, 07:11 PM
On the extract issue, seems the Windows 7 zip utility is corupting the download smaller download. However, I can not figure how to get 7-zip to perform the download. Any help would be . . .

I use winRAR and it worked, however I have no idea if it actually preformed or effected the download... but you could download it and give it a try

Gedemon
Aug 16, 2011, 09:32 PM

I will do that for the next version that I will post tomorrow.

Gedemon
Aug 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
For users with the extract problem, I've joined a zipped version to this post, just extract it in the mod folder...

(edit: link outdated, removed, see first post for installation instructions and use 7zip to extract the modfiles)

champ123
Aug 17, 2011, 12:11 PM
Nice MOD! No, no. Amazing! What to say? Thank you for your efforts!

I have two questions:

1. Is the terrain changeing in winter?

2. Why is it sometimes not possible to conquer a city? I mean iīve bombed Warsaw to the ground and still i cannot capture it

3. Will the US enter the war after awhile. Well i donīt think so, because they are not on the map;) But is it possible to do some script which allows this later on?

Thank you!:)

NwabudikeMorgan
Aug 17, 2011, 01:29 PM
you cannot capture cities with tanks, that may be your issue, try going in with infantry.

rhettrongun
Aug 17, 2011, 02:50 PM
I finally decided to give this a go, and I have to say it is fantastic. It is a better ww2 experience than my own mod to be quite honest. Nice work Gedemon, and of course also to everyone who helped. :goodjob:

The presentation perks you added in really make it feel like a professional addon. Nice touch with the DoM audio too! That was very unexpected.

I played about 15 turns as Italy just to check things out, and here are a few things I would like to bring up. Sorry if some are old news at this point.

-First for whatever reason I didn't seem to get an option on whom to play as. It just seemed to start and I was given Italy. Not a big deal. My guess is it was an error on my part.
-I think the low number of units works pretty well based on what I experienced. The HP is very high, and the reinforcement mechanic makes it so unit divisions hold up a long time. Even so, it might be a good idea to start out with a few more divisions. The Italian army seemed a bit too tiny.
-The AI doesn't seem to be using its navy well at all. The French never attacked any of my ships in the Med. It just kept running from me when I attacked them. I think the AI was constantly trying to use them for blockaids instead of using them to fight.
-Are there great generals? Didn't see any in the 15 turns I played. I know Italy isn't known for them, so that is why I'm wondering about them. It seems like they would fit in very well with what you've got already. Italy had 1 decent general that I used in my mod. Can't recall his name at the moment though.

A minor bug I caught:
-TXT_KEY_PROMOTION shows up for the starting Italian aircraft on 1 of its attributes/promos. I'm thinking it may be air recon? I noticed the aircraft lacked a decent air recon range too. Maybe this is intended though.
-1 of my submarine packs attacked a french sub pack and inflicted 74 pts of damage in 1 attack. This seemed like it must have been a bug, since nothing else I'd seen up to this point came anywhere close to that. From what I can tell it is set as a unit with a hard combat ability of 5. Again maybe this is intended. I suppose subs aren't exactly big on taking a lot of damage before going kaput.

I took screen shots of the 2 potential bugs and have attached them.

So again, great work and thank you for this mod. I will look forward to playing a full game later on.

champ123
Aug 17, 2011, 03:00 PM
Currently iīm playing as sovjet union. Polish troops surrounded Berlin! Germany is fighting all the time Danzig and Posnan, but they cannot take the cities although their defense is a zero. Against france everything seems to work correctly. Is this a bug? When i started the game playing as germany, i had the same problem.

Gedemon
Aug 17, 2011, 03:53 PM
Nice MOD! No, no. Amazing! What to say? Thank you for your efforts!

I have two questions:

1. Is the terrain changeing in winter?

2. Why is it sometimes not possible to conquer a city? I mean iīve bombed Warsaw to the ground and still i cannot capture it

3. Will the US enter the war after awhile. Well i donīt think so, because they are not on the map;) But is it possible to do some script which allows this later on?

Thank you!:)

Which two questions should I answer ? ;)

Ok, I'll go for the three...

1/ No. That's something I've tried in my old Stalingrad scenario, but it would have requested a forced save and reload at season change. As save/load can take e few minuts on some machines, it may have been possible in a one year scenario (but I didn't implement it finally), but for 6 years, that mean 12 forced save/reload, I don't know... It would be very interesting thus to simulate Russian winter, so if there's enough demand and proposal for interesting gameplay element, I know it can be done.

But the downside must be pondered.

2/ In current version I've tested the "No City Capture" promotion on all armor unit, following suggestion in the development thread. I will remove it in next version, as it seems to penalize the AI too much, I may reintroduce it when the DLL is available and some people (i.e. not me) start working on the AI.

I may raise the penalty against city for armor unit to compensate, I want Infantry to be the urban warfare unit...

3/ Yes. Not yet, but definitly yes. I just don't know in which form (just units given to UK/France or a complete civilization without cities but strong personnel/materiel reinforcement available). In the first case the human player will control the US units if he play allied (I must try to add a small flag icon above the unit then), in the second one (which could also be the case when the human play axis) USA will be a non-playable (hidden at start) civ on the map.

I finally decided to give this a go, and I have to say it is fantastic. It is a better ww2 experience than my own mod to be quite honest. Nice work Gedemon, and of course also to everyone who helped. :goodjob:

The presentation perks you added in really make it feel like a professional addon. Nice touch with the DoM audio too! That was very unexpected.

And if you (and/or others) are willing to make a world scenario to include in this mod, I'll be glad to help the integration. Be warned it may prove to be moderately difficult, but I've tried to make the base mod as open as possible to add more maps in the future.

-First for whatever reason I didn't seem to get an option on whom to play as. It just seemed to start and I was given Italy. Not a big deal. My guess is it was an error on my part.
In the setup screen, click in the "random leader" section to chose your country :D

-I think the low number of units works pretty well based on what I experienced. The HP is very high, and the reinforcement mechanic makes it so unit divisions hold up a long time. Even so, it might be a good idea to start out with a few more divisions. The Italian army seemed a bit too tiny.
Yep, small number of units is intended, reinforcements will be available during play in future version (and then I may raise the units building cost).

-The AI doesn't seem to be using its navy well at all. The French never attacked any of my ships in the Med. It just kept running from me when I attacked them. I think the AI was constantly trying to use them for blockaids instead of using them to fight.the navy AI is a vanilla problem, not much to do I'm afraid :(

Unless someone find some nice flavor/AI formations combination...

-Are there great generals? Didn't see any in the 15 turns I played. I know Italy isn't known for them, so that is why I'm wondering about them. It seems like they would fit in very well with what you've got already. Italy had 1 decent general that I used in my mod. Can't recall his name at the moment though.No great general, but I may add Mobile HQ (with some protection around) units to play the role.

A minor bug I caught:
-TXT_KEY_PROMOTION shows up for the starting Italian aircraft on 1 of its attributes/promos. I'm thinking it may be air recon? I noticed the aircraft lacked a decent air recon range too. Maybe this is intended though.
Thanks, I've forgotten some text keys it seems, will be fixed in next version.

The recon attribute is removed ATM. The unsaid justification (until know) is that I still hope to be able to add a recon mission ā la civ4 using Lua. Finger crossed on this one...

-1 of my submarine packs attacked a french sub pack and inflicted 74 pts of damage in 1 attack. This seemed like it must have been a bug, since nothing else I'd seen up to this point came anywhere close to that. From what I can tell it is set as a unit with a hard combat ability of 5. Again maybe this is intended. I suppose subs aren't exactly big on taking a lot of damage before going kaput.That's a vanilla bug. The submarines are weak unit with strong ranged attack value, they one shoot kill each other when they meet.

I've tried to counter that by giving a big penalty on sub against sub, but I've just forgotten that the effect was null in that case :blush:

Next step is to try to keep that penalty, and just remove it of the defending sub whn attacked by another one. I hope I could find something more elegant before that.

Another problem I have is to balance attacks on embarked units by Air and Sea units.

In vanilla, a bomber can one shoot an embarked unit (the one with defending capacity) while it take a lot of shoot from a Sea unit (destroyer or battleship).

In current version the subs can one shoot kill any embarked, so I need to re-balance it a little.

Currently iīm playing as sovjet union. Polish troops surrounded Berlin! Germany is fighting all the time Danzig and Posnan, but they cannot take the cities although their defense is a zero. Against france everything seems to work correctly. Is this a bug? When i started the game playing as germany, i had the same problem.
See the No City Capture for armor problem, as said, I will remove it in next version :D

rhettrongun
Aug 17, 2011, 08:10 PM

And if you (and/or others) are willing to make a world scenario to include in this mod, I'll be glad to help the integration. Be warned it may prove to be moderately difficult, but I've tried to make the base mod as open as possible to add more maps in the future.

Sounds like a good idea, so count me as definitely interested. I'm already a good ways into completing what will probably be a last version for my old ww2 scenario, so I'll go ahead and finish that off for now.

What sort of scale do you have in mind? If I could start from scratch making a world map for ww2, I would definitely make Europe more oversized than I had originally gone with. Maybe scale down central Asia (siberia included) even more so, and also oversize the US and Japan at the cost of Canada/South America on the other end. Probably trying to keep the Pacific ocean as large as possible at the same time though.

the navy AI is a vanilla problem, not much to do I'm afraid :(

Unless someone find some nice flavor/AI formations combination...

I've seen these entries under globalaidefines before, but have yet to test out exactly what they do:

<Row Name="AI_OPERATIONAL_CITY_ATTACK_DEPLOY_RANGE">
<Value>5</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="AI_OPERATIONAL_PILLAGE_ENEMY_DEPLOY_RANGE">
<Value>5</Value>
</Row>
<Row Name="AI_OPERATIONAL_NAVAL_BOMBARDMENT_DEPLOY_RANGE">
<Value>1</Value>
</Row>

Maybe change the 3rd one to a 6 and see if that affects AI naval behavior at all. I'll probably check it out myself now that I'm curious about it.

No great general, but I may add Mobile HQ (with some protection around) units to play the role.

Thanks, I've forgotten some text keys it seems, will be fixed in next version.

The recon attribute is removed ATM. The unsaid justification (until know) is that I still hope to be able to add a recon mission ā la civ4 using Lua. Finger crossed on this one...

That's a vanilla bug. The submarines are weak unit with strong ranged attack value, they one shoot kill each other when they meet.

I've tried to counter that by giving a big penalty on sub against sub, but I've just forgotten that the effect was null in that case :blush:

Next step is to try to keep that penalty, and just remove it of the defending sub whn attacked by another one. I hope I could find something more elegant before that.

Another problem I have is to balance attacks on embarked units by Air and Sea units.

In vanilla, a bomber can one shoot an embarked unit (the one with defending capacity) while it take a lot of shoot from a Sea unit (destroyer or battleship).

In current version the subs can one shoot kill any embarked, so I need to re-balance it a little.

That's really too bad about the sub bug. I guess it was never noticeable before because the vanilla hp is set at 10, and it's not exactly a surprise that the high attack:combat defense ratio would lead to a 1 hit kill every time.
Good idea with the recon mission though. I've no idea how you would do that, but it looks like LUA is quite a powerful tool so maybe.

rhettrongun
Aug 17, 2011, 09:08 PM
A quick test showed that changing that 1 entry had no noticeable effect. So, it's obviously not that simple if it's possible to correct it with ai flavor changes. I'll probably try a few more combinations later, and will let you know if anything fixes it.

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 18, 2011, 01:10 AM
So I couldn't help but play this mod again, its better then the vannila game :), I was going to post some screenshots later of my game, hence it was long. But here are some ideas I thought about when I was playing. Gedemon I have to say, you are a genius with Lua, so Im going to assume some of these ideas aren't too far fetched.

- I don't know if you ever played Hearts of Iron, but when a country that was not allied with the axis or allies, was attacked by either of the two alliances, it would join the other side. So like in my case in the game I was playing, if switzerland got attacked by France it should automatically ally itself with Germany and Italy so they can come to it's support.

- A problem arising in my game is the fact that major nation's units can enter city state territory without declaring war. So Ill show the screenshot later but Germany was bringing units through turkey to randomely attack cities in Syria and France was able to send troops without declaring war through switzerland also. So I would propose unless the city state is allied with the nation or maybe even friendly you cannot enter their territory without declaring war.

- So I got pretty late into the game about sept 1941 around 75 turns or so I believe, and I noticed that the AI only produced Artillery and Medium Tanks, which they spammed excessively. Which is fine except they couldn't capture any cities so basically they conquered all the territory around the city and just moved on. I think if you added more flavor to the barracks, then there would be more infantry being built. I also think that if you gave more barracks at the start more infantry would be built also.

- Another late game thing was France was a freakin industrial power, Germany was on the outskirts of Paris and now 5 months later France is in Germany, with a huge army of tanks and artillery. Which I guess to a certain extent is realistic if France had the time to prepare for war, but I do feel like France's industrial power is too high.

- The Soviet Union never went to war with Germany, however I don't know if that has been coded yet.

- I know I'm an advocate for more units but I think Italy's navy is a bit too small.

Last, thing was are you planning on cavalry units? since Poland relyed heavily on them at the start of the war.

Gedemon
Aug 18, 2011, 01:39 AM
the first 2 are already planed (they are somewhere in the note section of the spreadsheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlyP3rZ7KU2JdEtGYXJiQ2stQzVqa0NueWNzbHRae mc&hl=en_US))

about France, I don't remember adding much industry, I'll see that when back from work.

Germany should declare war to USSR at some point, and some time later USSR become part of France/UK alliance.

Not sure about cavalry, I will have enough units to add to Poland yet.

champ123
Aug 18, 2011, 07:40 AM
Does anybody else recognizes performance problems? From turn to turn, scrolling over the map gets really worse. I never had such problems before even on giant maps. its still worse although iīve set down all graphics to low; even the screenresolution. Only in this scenario i have this problem.
Itīs a cool one but i am not able to play it anymore because of this.

Nice idea to let the units of a defeated civ (poland) on the map! :goodjob:

rhettrongun
Aug 18, 2011, 12:06 PM
Like I said I only played 15 turns in, so maybe I didn't play long enough to run into that problem. Other than some very minor slowdowns at the beginning of a turn, I didn't see anything remotely game breaking in my own test.

In fact I actually thought the game was running faster than what I've seen in other scenarios or huge vanilla games. I assumed this was due to the latest patch though. I don't see how someone could build a mod that makes the game run more efficiently.

gosu
Aug 19, 2011, 04:08 AM
This looks really promising. Looking forward to the new version.

Sethyboy0
Aug 19, 2011, 10:00 PM
I got the same problem of crashing when trying to install the mod, but using WinRAR to extract it solved that problem.

Overall, this is a really cool map. I haven't gotten very far into it due to today being my sister's birthday but I plan to keep going with this.

wulfy
Aug 21, 2011, 09:07 AM
50 turns German; combat is excellent (very tactical). Gameplay pretty good, healing could be improved (if done in city maybae). However, just not enough time if France doesn't surrender to prep for the Russians. One other thing, retreat is good but any unit completely surrounded should not be able to bunny hop into another location.

Very enjoyable combat.

Gedemon
Aug 21, 2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the report :D

One other thing, retreat is good but any unit completely surrounded should not be able to bunny hop into another location.
That should happen only when a unit is escaping a city, in open field if the 3 plot behind a unit are occupied (by another unit, water, city) then the unit won't retreat but get extra damage (50% of what was inflicted by the attacking unit)

Gedemon
Aug 21, 2011, 07:36 PM
New version is done: R.E.D. WWII Edition (v6) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17470&act=down)

I've made some balance tweaks based on your feedbacks and my tests game, added some features, the two majors being the new processes in cities for reinforcements, and the much asked "Fall of France" on Paris capture.

Here's the changelog:

v0.6 (Aug 22, 2011):
- Bugfix: Attack Aircrafts were getting +20% combat against city instead of -25%.
- Balance: Attack Aircrafts get +100% combat against land unit and +150% against armor (was +50% and +100%)
- Balance: Submarines ranged attack divided by 2, but give x2 bonus against all other sea units (except other subs)
- Balance: remove the "No City Capture" from armor units, AI was too much penalized.
- Bugfix: this time really liberate allied/friend tiles after a city capture have given them to another civ.
- Bugfix: unit escaping a captured city was getting wrong damage value.
- Bugfix: in some conditions, the supply line function was trying to find the cities of a dead player...
- Bugfix: flag of major civilization now correctly showing in war notification icons.
- Feature: display information about reinforcement needed by a unit on city build screen mouseover tooltip.
- Feature: "Buy War Bonds" (product materiel reiforcement) and "Your country needs you" (product personnel reinforcement) processes to city production.
- Feature: restriction on type of units build by AI based on ratio
- Feature: limited number of special unit classes for all game (ex: only two battleships of the Bismarck class allowed, if the Tirpiz is build and one of them is lost, no other can be build)
- Feature: fall of France when Paris is captured by Axis power. If you play as France, you don't want to lose Paris, you really don't...
- Added: Dawn of Man layout and texts by T_KCommanderbly
- Added: second (this one's small) batch of units from danrell's WW2 packs:
--- light tanks: AMR 35, FCM 36, Panzer 35(t), Vickers MKVIB, Tetrarch, Matilda I, T-26, L6/40

Please refer to first post for installation instructions (and updated credits...), waiting for your new feedbacks now :D

Gedemon
Aug 21, 2011, 07:50 PM
And please use 7zip or another archive extractor to install the mod, I'm sorry to confirm that the ingame modbrowser failed to install the core mod made with ModBuddy... Well, that's the endof my attemps to play it their way, now I will release it directly in 7zip format until the modhub is fixed (meaning you could upload the big files without error, and you could extract the small ones without another one :D )

fromAustria
Aug 22, 2011, 08:10 AM
i have tried it, but i think i had an bug, because this auto war declare have bondage me with a war against the USSR at 1940 :sad:
i didnt had the time to conquer whole france, or denmark, or the balkans, but it was funny, that the mighty soviet union, with millions of soldiers, cant bring enough troops to hold their front (screen) thats my second point, a little bit to less units (look at the top of the screen)... it looks also senthless to conquer citys, because i cant build units their? :confused: and lately, why there are city states at north africa and at the levant? you know that their independence came later?

but good work, the first game year was funny! :)

Gedemon
Aug 22, 2011, 10:43 AM
Timeline was not my priority, because I wanted first to get a fell on the total number of turn the game must have to reflect the period from 1939 to 1945, set the game speed based on that, then link the game turn to historical events. My mistake was to made a calendar available, I should have wait for it too, know that is made people want (rightfully) the game event to reflect the calendar, not the game turns, so I've made it a priority in my list, but it's far from done yet :D

you can build units in conquered cities once you've build a courthouse and a radio.

finally I need the french colonies (and the others) to be separated for future mod features, but the CS are allied to France from start and follow it's declaration of war/peace.

Gedemon
Aug 22, 2011, 12:49 PM
Bugfix version released : R.E.D. WWII Edition (v7) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17470&act=down)

Should handle French colonies diplomacy on "Fall of France" event and fix that bad bug :

kept playing v6 as germany, and noticed a big problem: when Paris is captured and France falls, the Vichy and new German cities work great, but all the land i had captured in netherlands/brussels/poland/denmark was returned to the city state i got it from, I kept the cities, but all the tiles were back to "polish"/"danish", etc, so the city had no tiles to work and i had to move units over the tiles to reclaim them for germany. Hope you can fix that without too much hassle.

Sethyboy0
Aug 22, 2011, 03:18 PM
Just finished my v5 game with Germany and I have to say this mod is amazing. Here are a few things I noticed:

The Russian heavy tanks are very powerful, and don't seem to have any real opposition. Are you planning on adding Tigers or Panthers anytime soon?

I was playing on settler difficulty to get a feel for the mod and see its features, and it seemed like Italy was doing absolutely nothing even with the troops it had. I know this is probably due to the low difficulty, so what difficulty do you recommend for a civ newbie (I was thinking around the 4th or 5th, but I may give diety a shot to see how the AI behave)?

The materials production for Germany seems kind of off at the start. Using only my starting army + a few bombers, I noticed that I wasn't really producing enough materials to resupply my units and cities until I had conquered all of France, all of the Baltic states, and some of Russia. I know I didn't have a factory in every city but some cities have amazingly slow production and factories are kind of expensive to buy.

Didn't Russia declare war on the Baltic states?

Overall, this is a great WWII mod. I'm looking forward to the new units and other things that will come in newer versions. I'm going to start a V7 Russia game now. :D

NwabudikeMorgan
Aug 22, 2011, 03:26 PM
@Sethyboy0
In v5 tanks couldn't capture cities, and thats why Italy doest do anything, since the AI didnt understand that they needed to use infantry, thats been fixed in more recent versions.

Russia didnt "declare war" on the baltic states, they occupied them, then sent them an ultimatum that they would be warred upon unless they joined the USSR, so they came nicely.

Gedemon
Aug 22, 2011, 03:57 PM
The Russian heavy tanks are very powerful, and don't seem to have any real opposition. Are you planning on adding Tigers or Panthers anytime soon?
yep, *soon*, but not as soon as next version I'm afraid.

with v.6/v.7 use Stuka (give them land and armor promotion), that should damage without too much attrition on your side :D

I was playing on settler difficulty to get a feel for the mod and see its features, and it seemed like Italy was doing absolutely nothing even with the troops it had. I know this is probably due to the low difficulty, so what difficulty do you recommend for a civ newbie (I was thinking around the 4th or 5th, but I may give diety a shot to see how the AI behave)?
4th of 5th sound good, I've set the default to deity to compensate the IA difficulty in combat, I think 4-5th is good for beginner, but as always the best level is the one you find fun to play ;)

The materials production for Germany seems kind of off at the start. Using only my starting army + a few bombers, I noticed that I wasn't really producing enough materials to resupply my units and cities until I had conquered all of France, all of the Baltic states, and some of Russia. I know I didn't have a factory in every city but some cities have amazingly slow production and factories are kind of expensive to buy.The low material production is wanted, I want attrition warfare to play a big part in the mod, with v.8 I'll include a bonus from your friends and allied CS, and in later stage (not *soon*) the inclusion of resources and new buildings will help the materiel production.

You have to use your troops wisely, knowing than more advanced tanks will use more material, that heavy units use material at double rate, and that some promotions will give you bonus when the unit is healing. Note that since v.6 the reinforcements needed for an unit is shown in the mouseover tooltip of the build menu.

As a concrete example, in my latest tests, well promoted Stuka received 1 HP of damage when attacking french B1, dealing 7-8HP damage to the heavy tank at each run.

To heal one Hit Point, a unit need 20 unit of personnel and reinforcement (there's a ratio for each unit)

So to heal this HP, the Stuka need 17 materiel and 3 personnel. (materiel ratio is 8.5 for stuka)
to heal 7 HP, the B1 need 7*18*2 = 252 materiel (double materiel needed for heavy units) and 7*2 = 14 personnel (materiel ratio is 9 for heavy tanks)

As you see KV-1 or char B1 may seems impressive (and are...), but you need a strong production to be able to use them at full health...

Gedemon
Aug 22, 2011, 04:02 PM
ho, and the new processes in cities can help too, use food cities with "we need you !" process to get more personnel, and production/gold cities to get more materiel using "Buy War Bonds !" process.

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
oohhh versian 6 :), looks great again

Delm
Aug 22, 2011, 10:19 PM
Enjoying the latest version, major bug when you capture paris however as all previous occupied territory (poland, denmark, belgium, netherlands) gets returned to the original owner...

Gedemon
Aug 22, 2011, 11:42 PM
Enjoying the latest version, major bug when you capture paris however as all previous occupied territory (poland, denmark, belgium, netherlands) gets returned to the original owner...

so it seems you're not enjoying the latest version, try v.7 :D

wulfy
Aug 23, 2011, 06:40 AM
Darn, wish I had capped Gay Paree on 6 before upgrading. That would have been quite the experience :)

Delm
Aug 23, 2011, 07:46 AM
so it seems you're not enjoying the latest version, try v.7 :D

Thank you! :goodjob:

jeffah3539
Aug 23, 2011, 09:56 AM
I have been playing v7 for the past couple of days and I have to say I am hugely impressed. The mod really gives you the impression that you are playing in the period. You did a great job with all the art and I love the units.

Here are some notes so far from my game as Germany:

1. Italy seems weak. I noticed that France sent most of their units south and invaded northern Italy. They didn't capture any cities but they did capture large amounts of territory. This also made conquering France quite easy for me as they only moved 2 Infantry and 1 Tank north to face my assault. Not really a huge deal as the Germans were able to conquer France in days in real life anyway. Only thing I could suggest is to maybe give France some fortifications and units along the Maginot Line (unless you already did this and the stupid AI just redeployed them south).

2. The bug with the Fall of France is fixed and I didn't have any issues after conquering Paris.

3. German Panzers are incredibly powerful. Nothing wrong with that as they were the basis of their Blitzkrieg strategy however the ability to use Blitz against cities is very powerful. I have not found any reason to use Infantry against cities yet as they only get 1 attack per turn while a pre-positioned Panzer III can attack a flatland city 5 times in one turn, generally with very attack as a Safe Attack. The -33% against cities is likely not a high enough penalty to discourage using them at the moment. The other issue is that Infantry do not do a large amount of damage against cities and can only attack once per turn. I think it would make sense to give Infantry a bonus to attacking cities in order to balance them with Armor units. I find that with 5 attacks from a Panzer III I can do ~30 damage per turn while taking ~15 damage total while an Infantry with their single attack can only do ~6 damage while suffering ~4 damage.

4. The dates are off but you already know that. The general timeline was very accurate however I would recommend adding more turns between events, especially if you make any changes which make it more difficult to capture cities. Even with the Germans powerful military and Blitz Panzers it takes some time to conquer the enemy because of units high hp and especially rivers limiting the angles you can realistically attack from. If you were to move the war decs to the correct date in the mod's current timeline I think that would be just about perfect.

5. It is very difficult to keep up with Materiel needs but I have a glut of Personnel. I think this stems from 2 sources:
a. Panzers are so much more powerful than Infantry and have higher Materiel/Personnel ratios. I have definitely been using and wounding Panzers a lot more than Infantry so that, combined with my use of aircraft and U-boats, is likely draining my Materiel reserves very quickly.
b. War Bonds produce very little Materiel. I currently have 7 cities producing War Bonds but they are only generating 34 Materiel per turn while the 2 cities I have producing Recruitment are generating 42 Personnel per turn.

A possible idea with this might be to add oil fields in strategic locations which produce Materiel when captured. This factored into the Germans' decision to invade southern USSR after teir failure to capture Moscow and forced the British to expend resources securing the Middle East as it would have been disastrous for the Germans to gain control of those oil fields.

6. The Allies never attempted a Naval blockade of my northern coast. The only Ally ships that I encountered were the HMS Hood and 2 Destroyers off the coast of Brest. They have just sat there while my U-boats slowly drain them down. I have killed one Destroyer and the Hood is at 50% hp yet they just continue to sit there taking torpedoes every turn. I am considering sending my Battleships to blockade London however that will leave them vulnerable to land based air attacks so I probably won't. I know this is probably more a problem with the game's AI but I figured I would let you know.

Overall, this is a great scenario and I can't wait to attack the Soviets next. I think I am going to devote my Panzers for a fast push through Ukraine in the south all the way to Stalingrad with a force split off from that to head north and take Smolensk to use as an air base for the attack on Moscow. Moscow and Leningrad look to be pretty tough to take with the massive forests guarding their approach. I might try to flank Leningrad and land a small force there from sea. Great stuff!

rhettrongun
Aug 23, 2011, 11:25 AM
On the AI navy issue:

Something you might try out Gedemon is changing all of the naval default unit AIs to ATTACK_SEA or whatever it's called. I know the vanilla setting for destroyers and subs is RESERVE_SEA. Another thing that might be worth checking is to see how AI handles its navy if you remove everything except ATTACK_SEA from its available AI options.

Perhaps you have already tried this of course, but I thought I would mention it in case you hadn't. Would be nice to see the AI use its navy better, so I hope this gets fixed eventually.

Gedemon
Aug 23, 2011, 11:46 AM
thanks for feedbacks :D

@jeffah3539 :

1. Fortified (and immobile) units are planned for Maginot line, yes. I may add some units to Italy, but it's more a issue on AI use of units (more on that later)

2. good

3. You've just give me an idea to test : make tanks units lose all their movement points when attacking a city, so Blitz is of no use then. I've also planned to add +20% vs city to gun units (ie: infantries and mechanised-infantries), but I've forgotten (again) to add the promotion for v.7, should be in v.8. Then here the low material availability should also encourage the player to use infantry instead of tanks.

5. I still want Materiel to be more difficult to gain. About the ressources, I will add oil (and fuel reserve) ingame at some point, but it's more the iron ore and alluminium resources that will boost the materiel production via buildings. No ETA for this, I'll try to raise the material flux a bit for v.8

6. I have some ideas for AI, but it will require so much coding that I'm afraid I won't be able to handle (I'm really an amateur coder, so I spend lot's of time debugging, trying to code some override to AI units may be out of my league, but I'll see if something more or less simple could be added to make AI navy looks less like sitting ducks)

On the AI navy issue:

Something you might try out Gedemon is changing all of the naval default unit AIs to ATTACK_SEA or whatever it's called. I know the vanilla setting for destroyers and subs is RESERVE_SEA. Another thing that might be worth checking is to see how AI handles its navy if you remove everything except ATTACK_SEA from its available AI options.

Perhaps you have already tried this of course, but I thought I would mention it in case you hadn't. Would be nice to see the AI use its navy better, so I hope this gets fixed eventually.
Not tried, the problem with flavors is that testing changes take too much time. I was hoping someone had tested it already (removing the reserve tag)

rhettrongun
Aug 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
I agree that it does take too much time. I have a very small testing map I have been using to run ai flavor changes though, so that makes it a little more bearable running tests just to get a basic idea of how the AI is changing. So, I'll plan to test these out later on. If it helps I'll let you know, and you can consider testing it with your full mod.

I might do the test on your mod myself, but I don't think it allows adding external mod components to it as is. I tried this once earlier with some other things I wanted to try with the navy ai, and got a red light.

Gedemon
Aug 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
well, for test purpose you can bypass that limitation by adding just one line in RedEuro1940Setup.lua

find :

if ( not g_bCanLoad ) then

and add a line just before with "g_bCanLoad = true"

g_bCanLoad = true
if ( not g_bCanLoad ) then

I hope that your test will be successful :D

Gedemon
Aug 23, 2011, 05:50 PM
I've just realised that I've forgotten to uncomment a line before releasing last version...

I've set a ratio of unit type to force the AI to build something else than tanks and artillery, but to test it I've extended the function to the human player, and so the human is also rationed in current version...

So I'll remove it for next release, will be sooner that what I had planned initially, maybe tomorrow...

Delm
Aug 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
Game runs really good now, really enjoying my game playing as the UK atm... :D

1. The only issues that I think are annoying is the fact that the AI won't use their navy to attack mine (unless I completely block their unit with mine, in which case they actually fire when its their turn). Someone mentioned earlier that there is a ship returning fire when attacked mod. Maybe you can implent it in your mod?

2. AI not using fighters to intercept my bombers, AI use their fighters to bomb instead of intercept or sweep... maybe its possible to remove the bomb option for fighters? Forcing the AI to either sweep or intercept...

3. I already mentioned this earlier and you were looking to fix it somehow. The french has occupied a lot of land in Italy, the french units are destroyed but Italy won't recapture the lost tiles. Might be difficult to code but an idea I had would be that if a nation has surrounded a group of tiles with neither city or land units those tiles would automatically be occupied.

CIV5SUCKS
Aug 23, 2011, 09:48 PM
I extracted the files properly and did as says in the OP, but with the second file, the core mod. Whenever I try installing it into my web browser to be able to enable it and play it in Civ, it freezes at 87/105. I've tried over 5 times now and it still wont work.

Canabrava
Aug 23, 2011, 10:38 PM
I'm having trouble.

In the game, i can't produce nothing, i can't research nothing. All are empty. Nothing is showed to me. I think instalation is the problem.

I'm using 1.0.1.348 version.

jeffah3539
Aug 23, 2011, 11:01 PM
I extracted the files properly and did as says in the OP, but with the second file, the core mod. Whenever I try installing it into my web browser to be able to enable it and play it in Civ, it freezes at 87/105. I've tried over 5 times now and it still wont work.

You have to manually extract that file to the MOD folder using a program like Winrar or 7zip because the ingame extraction freezes up. I just opened up Winrar and found the file in my Documents folder and had Winrar extract it.

wulfy
Aug 24, 2011, 06:01 AM
When you download mod files via Windows you're not done. Use another 3rd party zip tool and unzip the core file (2nd file labeled v7) separately into your CIV5 mod folder. The data file uncompresses fine directly inside CIV5 but the core file is what freezes CIV5.

No research in mod yet.

Canabrava
Aug 24, 2011, 07:32 AM
I dont understand.

I downloaded 2 files. Created 2 folders on MODs folder (RED Data files and RED WWII Edition v7). Extratect each file onto each folder. Started civ 5 and installed mods. Turned on just data files and edition. Games starts rigth, but my production is empty.

I missing something in this extraction files.

Sethyboy0
Aug 24, 2011, 09:30 AM
I dont understand.

I downloaded 2 files. Created 2 folders on MODs folder (RED Data files and RED WWII Edition v7). Extratect each file onto each folder. Started civ 5 and installed mods. Turned on just data files and edition. Games starts rigth, but my production is empty.

I missing something in this extraction files.

Don't install the files in Civ 5. After you place the mods in the mod folder, extract them using WinRAR or 7zip.

Sethyboy0
Aug 24, 2011, 09:49 AM
Sorry about the double post but I just encountered a major glitch in my game as Britain. Around the start of the game I conquered Ireland, Iceland, and Libya to give myself more production and what not. Around turn 30 (not entirely sure, but may have been the perma alliance with France), all of the territory in Ireland and Iceland reverted back to it's original owner, just like with the fall of France bug.

Gedemon
Aug 24, 2011, 10:11 AM
Sorry about the double post but I just encountered a major glitch in my game as Britain. Around the start of the game I conquered Ireland, Iceland, and Libya to give myself more production and what not. Around turn 30 (not entirely sure, but may have been the perma alliance with France), all of the territory in Ireland and Iceland reverted back to it's original owner, just like with the fall of France bug.

do you have a savegame from just before the reversing perchance ?

danrell
Aug 24, 2011, 10:53 AM
I had this bug too, Gedemon
I used last version and install it correctly :dunno:

Gedemon
Aug 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
Do you know if Paris was captured by Germany or Italy at the same time ?

danrell
Aug 24, 2011, 11:24 AM
I don't know when, but you can play it once when you used country annex another city states before auto declare war,
then the declare war events happened, the territory reverted back to it's original owner and your units can't enter it :confused:

Sethyboy0
Aug 24, 2011, 01:31 PM
I know for a fact that Paris wasn't captured because I had line of sight on it the entire time and I was also defending France quite well.

Another bug I found was when I declared war on Spain and Portugal (I know I'm a dirty Britain), the game would automatically put me back at peace with them a few turns later. This lead to me declaring war enough times that the city states came close to banding together against me, which I kind of don't want to happen... Wait a sec... Maybe I do want it to happen...

One thing I noticed about the AI is that even on Deity the build times for most of their cities are extremely long. This basically leads to the AI not having much more than their starting army and making the winner the person who can use the starting army the best (obviously the human). City states also rarely build units because of this.

I have my autosave on every turn so I'll go look for a save before the bug.

Edit: I can confirm that the bug happened after I ended my 30th turn and went into my 31st. I have uploaded the autosave from turn 29 (so you can end turn and get the bug) and the autosave from turn 30 (so the bug happens as soon as you load the save)

Delm
Aug 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
I don't know about the AI not producing units, in my current game as UK (turn 65, deity), Germany is definately producing units and they are producing a lot more units than me, got to admit playing as the allies is far more difficult than playing as the axis

Sethyboy0
Aug 24, 2011, 02:32 PM
Perhaps it's because that late in the game most of the high-production cities have no buildings left to make, and can only build units.

jeffah3539
Aug 24, 2011, 03:39 PM
Well I just finished my first game as Germany. I definitely enjoyed it but here are some things I noticed that would have made it more enjoyable.

1. The AI has no idea how to use air units properly. They attack ground units with their fighters even when it is a costly attack which leaves them open to bombers. My Luftwaffe wasn't overly powerful early on but after nearly constant war and use of my bombers I was able to promote my initial bombers to Siege 3 and Logistics. Logistics is crazy powerful. This made capturing cities very easy.

2. The enemy had very small and weak armies. The only nation to even put up a bit of a fight was Britain and that was because they were gifted a unit every turn after I invaded them. However, even after I withdrew my entire army from Britain to send East to fight the USSR they couldn't really do much. They had Edinburgh completely surrounded with Infantry but after 5 turns of constant attacks they still hadn't taken the city.

3. Judging by the Leader traits I am assuming that you are going to be adding Partisan units to the French. I think that would really help. I was able to redeploy my entire army to Britain and then to the East without having to worry about any fighting in the West once France fell. Having Partisans pop up occasionally would definitely help.

4. I think Sethyboy0 is right that the AI is producing buildings for much of the game instead of units. I noticed that most cities early in the game had low defense and were easy to take but when I invaded Russia Smolensk, Kiev, and Moscow all had Defense scores of 65 or more even without any units garrisoned. I don't think this would be possible unless they were building defensive buildings during the 40 turns before I captured them.

5. I didn't realize this but capturing your enemies' capitals ends the game. Playing as Germany I found Paris, London, and even Moscow to a lesser extent to be very easy to capture. The AI just makes very little attempt to defend them. I think if the AI were to use Fighters for Intercepts it would make capturing cities much more difficult as I was able to bomb a city down to 1 HP in 1-2 turns and then just mop up with a land unit, especially after I got Logistics promoted bombers.

I think I might try again as either Britain or USSR on a higher difficulty and see if I see the same things. I definitely enjoyed playing it but I just wish that I had encountered more resistance.

Gedemon
Aug 24, 2011, 04:12 PM
thanks !

and yep, the naval and air issues are going up in the priority list.

my first attempt will be to force AI fighters mission to "intercept" at start of turn.

about the number of units, I'm a bit reticent to make the AI "cheat" too much, but if even in deity it don't produce enough, I'll have to do something for it then.

Gedemon
Aug 24, 2011, 04:39 PM
Edit: I can confirm that the bug happened after I ended my 30th turn and went into my 31st. I have uploaded the autosave from turn 29 (so you can end turn and get the bug) and the autosave from turn 30 (so the bug happens as soon as you load the save)

thanks, looking at it now...

Sethyboy0
Aug 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm at turn 50 now and I can say that Germany has finished producing its buildings and is spamming out tons of units.

Basically, if you want to really kick ass, blitz your enemies as fast as possible before they have a chance to build up.

jeffah3539
Aug 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
I'm at turn 50 now and I can say that Germany has finished producing its buildings and is spamming out tons of units.

Basically, if you want to really kick ass, blitz your enemies as fast as possible before they have a chance to build up.

Yeah I think that is the biggest problem right now. Playing as Germany I conquered Moscow on turn 42 I think so nobody really got a chance to build any units. I produced maybe 10 units and bought another 10 in my game but the AI produced almost nothing. My Blitzkrieg strat was a little too powerful. But I was also playing on Prince so I am going to see if it changes on a higher difficulty.

Delm
Aug 24, 2011, 08:59 PM
Guys try playing as the UK its actually far more difficult =p ... playing as the germans you can blitz your way through the game quickly...

Something that seem to really mess it up for Italy is the fact that they can only attack "Nice" from 1 tile, making it very difficult to capture it. Italy sent troops around but then they get the supply issue and they never really get anywhere despite outnumbering the french. I suggest you change the 2 tiles above Nice to hills, so units can move through there as well.

Gedemon
Aug 25, 2011, 01:01 AM
But I was also playing on Prince so I am going to see if it changes on a higher difficulty.
that's why I've set the default difficulty to deity. As/If the mod improves the AI at some point, I will change the default difficulty setting, but before it's done you should play at that level if you want a challenge (and report if it's not challenging enough at that level :D ).

Something that seem to really mess it up for Italy is the fact that they can only attack "Nice" from 1 tile, making it very difficult to capture it. Italy sent troops around but then they get the supply issue and they never really get anywhere despite outnumbering the french. I suggest you change the 2 tiles above Nice to hills, so units can move through there as well.

In almost all my test when playing Germany, Italy always get Nice and Marseille at least (except in V6/V7 where I've given a few more units to France and not to Italy, so I've added some to Italy too in V8)

But anyway I don't think Italy AI should be able to invade south of France easily, the Nice defensive value is something I want to keep.

jeffah3539
Aug 25, 2011, 02:47 PM
OK so I started another game as the Soviets on Deity. I managed to conquer Brest-Litovsk and Lwow in Poland before the Germans so that gave me a nice buffer zone for their eventual War Dec. I also captured Helsinki during the war with Finland but declined to advance any farther. Here are some things that I have noticed:

1. Germany is getting their butt kicked. You can see from the screenshots that 2 turns after they declared war on me they have been pushed back nearly out of France and have very few units left to defend the Western Front. Their war over there was going fairly well early but they suffer heavily from the attrition of nearly constant warfare and low unit production. You can also see that I outnumber them about 3-1 on the Eastern Front and will likely massacre them pretty soon.

I think Germany would likely benefit from an extension of the timeline to give them more time to defeat an enemy before declaring war on their next foe. They had just finished fighting Poland when they War Dec'd Denmark and Norway and then the next turn they Dec'd Holland and Belgium. This would also give their later opponents time to build up some defense but their early opponents would just get steamrolled by their overwhelming early Army and Air Force.

2. France made some gains in Italy early on but the Italians have countered and appear likely to take Marseille and then Nice.

3. The Materiel shortage didn't really affect me at all as the Soviets. I think the Materiel issues with the Germans stem from the free Blitz promotion which makes them use tanks far more than any other power. Giving Germany some more Factories might help them.

4. The Soviet economy is rough. I was struggling to break even for most of the game and I was getting close to the point where I was about to have to stop producing units. I ended up manually going through every one of my cities to make sure that they were working as many gold hexes as possible, which wasn't very fun. Maybe you could remove some of the roads from the far eastern cities?

*A couple of possible bugs I noticed*

1. I noticed that a few of my units and 1 of the German units had the "Supply Line Cut" marker over them even though they should have been supplied. I don't think it was actually affecting their combat stats though. You should be able to see it in the screenshot.

2. On one turn for some reason my production of T-34s in Moscow and Stalingrad was cancelled with no warning. A couple turns later I was able to build them again.

I think I am going to start another game as either Italy or UK tomorrow. I think I am leaning toward Italy as UK doesn't seem too difficult.

Gedemon
Aug 25, 2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks !

1/ germany may need a second "wave" of units, or maybe a full industry at start (for the AI), yes.

3/ depend if you use KV-1 intensively... I will add an armor promotion to the heavy tanks, right now the T-34 is a much much better choice (well it should be a very good choice, but not that much compared to the KV-1)

4/ wanted, you can't have strong reinforcements and strong economy and strong tanks and strong everything, that would be imbalanced. A button to set global citizen focus have already been requested, and I may add one as a middle-ground solution.

the bugs :

1/ seen this one, the unit don't have the promo but it's shown, I'll have to see what's wrong in my conversion of this mod.

2/ is confirmed too, the player is submitted to an unit ratio that was intended for the AI, will be fixed in v.8

About the Ireland/danemark bug, thanks for the savegames, I think I've an idea of what's going on...

I've made a function to liberate plot that a player may have gain via a city capture but that was belonging to a friend of the actual owner.

For example, Germany invade Poland, some of Poland territory is linked to Prague, France capture Prague and then get the captured Polish territory with the city and keep it.

The function was a fix for that, but added this bug, I think it will be fixed in v.8

The other issue is maybe related to France diplomacy : if France made peace with Spain or Portugal, so do you.

I'm not really sure on how to fix that last point, but the simpler way may be to ask the player if he really want to become permanently allied with another civ before making the alliance, so if you want to go and conquest every CS you could.

I will also add a function to make a minor civ pick a side when attacked. And some major DoW automatically when one of their colonies represented by a CS is attacked.

CIV5SUCKS
Aug 25, 2011, 04:41 PM
I got version 5 to work and I have to say I'm enjoying it, but Version 7 still wont work for me. I've done everything, including extracting the files and all, but when it gets to 81/105 on my mod browser when installing the mod for use it freezes my computer and I'm forced to shut it off. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I'd like to play the updated version.

Gedemon
Aug 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
The mod browser is crashing for unknown reasons when trying to install the core files, you have to extract the files manually in the mod folder using an archive manager like 7zip (and remove the .civ5mod files from this folder), and don't use install from the ingame mod browser.

New version available (download (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17470&act=down)) :

v0.8 (Aug 25, 2011):
- Bugfix : Captured territories was wrongly liberated in some cases when making a permanent alliance
- Bugfix : Unit ratio for AI was wrongly applied for the human player too
- Feature : allied and friend CS give you a portion of their reinforcements in materiel and personnel
- Feature : "Fall of Poland" when Warsaw is captured by Germany or USSR with territory splitting if both are still at peace.
- Feature : add probability and more units available for calling reserve troops by the AI
- Feature : liberating a CS city give a diplo boost
- Balance : infantry start with city siege (+20% against cities)
- Balance : remove one movement point to a retreating unit (was all).
- Balance : occupied cities produce less reinforcement than normal cities unless an Administrative Building is build
- Added: third (this one's even smaller, damn bugs, taking all my time !) batch of units from danrell's WW2 packs:
- Poland units: infantry, Vickers MkE Type A, 10TP, PZL P.11, PZL P.37

note: each version adding new units is incompatible with all previous save, end your current game before upgrading !

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
Played Versian 8 as France, here are some reflections:

1 - Germany AI is improved A lot... which is great :)

2 - Germany doesn't seem interested in Poland at all, they only attacked me and Great Britain. They actually took Paris and were on the verge of taking London, but it would bite them later because they had zero troops on the eastern front when the Soviet Union attacked. It may be possible that the AI is designed to spend all its attention on the human player rather then the other AI players.

3 - Again they were able to take Paris so I experianced the fight as the Free French(which worked out great). I got like 15000 in cash and I still owned one city in Africa, (I'm guessing that you didn't want to do that??). But basically I bought a bunch of tanks and attacked Algeria.

Anyways it's alot better and very fun again :)

Sethyboy0
Aug 25, 2011, 10:12 PM
I don't know if the Germans really need a boost, because in my v7 game they don't seem to stop producing units now that they've got their buildings done. Perhaps adding realistic war declaration times to give them longer to conquer poland and france before Russia comes in is all that is needed.

jeffah3539
Aug 26, 2011, 12:13 AM
I just played the first 30 turns of a game as Italy in v.8. Here is what I noticed:

1. Only having 1 tile to attack Nice from is annoying. Especially because they upgraded the defenses in the city so it had a combat strength of 72 so I was only doing 2-3 damage per attack. 2 Bombers plus 1 Infantry at 2-3 damage per attack equals about 6-9 damage per turn. I think it ended up taking me about 12 turns to take Nice. I wanted to flank it from the sea, however they smartly positioned their Navy there to massacre any units stupid enough to embark.

2. The French AI actually attempted to defend their city from attack. This was something I had not seen before. They actually did a pretty darn good job of it too. They placed a Fighter and a Destroyer in the city to guard against air attacks, a Battleship off the coast to prevent me from embarking units, and an Infantry on a prime potential attacking tile.

3. Germany did not perform very well. Germany declared war on Poland and France on the same turn which seemed to cause them to focus most of their attention on France. That wouldn't be such a bad thing except it led to the peculiar circumstance that Poland invaded Germany. They actually managed to capture Prague and Konigsburg and were on their way to Berlin. I am going to keep playing to see what happens but it doesn't look good for Germany. The problem for Germany is that if they don't capture Warsaw and Paris very quickly they suffer from horrible attrition. It also doesn't help that the AI likes to attack across rivers and suffer horrendous losses. Maybe they can stage a miraculous comeback but I'm not betting on it.

Hopefully I can finish the game tomorrow and I will let you know how it goes.

Gedemon
Aug 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
3 - Again they were able to take Paris so I experianced the fight as the Free French(which worked out great). I got like 15000 in cash and I still owned one city in Africa, (I'm guessing that you didn't want to do that??). But basically I bought a bunch of tanks and attacked Algeria.

was an intended (small) test, how does it play ? :D

in future (ie: not the next) version I want to allow the player to chose between African exile with American backup and reconquest from there or continue fight in France after fall of Paris.

Gedemon
Aug 26, 2011, 03:28 PM
there's another bug whith the "Fall of Poland" event... Not as serious as the ones with fall of France or unwanted liberated territory, but still... :blush:

I'll fix it in V.9

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 26, 2011, 04:47 PM
was an intended (small) test, how does it play ? :D

in future (ie: not the next) version I want to allow the player to chose between African exile with American backup and reconquest from there or continue fight in France after fall of Paris.

It plays great, the three things that would be nice is, controlling a resistance force on the German occupied France, it would be nice to have few units in England and I shouldn't be able to make tanks as a realistic aspect because I don't think the small african cities could mass produce tanks. And it would be nice to have some sort of a navy left over. But I don't know the "realism" part of these things.

jeffah3539
Aug 26, 2011, 07:37 PM
It plays great, the three things that would be nice is, controlling a resistance force on the German occupied France, it would be nice to have few units in England and I shouldn't be able to make tanks as a realistic aspect because I don't think the small african cities could mass produce tanks. And it would be nice to have some sort of a navy left over. But I don't know the "realism" part of these things.

As far as the Navy goes it might be better to continue to have it go to Vichy France in order to simulate this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_on_Mers-el-K%C3%A9bir

I saw that the French UA is supposed to spawn partisans in occupied territory, it would be cool if this happened after the Fall of Paris and the Free French could control them and use them to cause some havoc for Germany.

One thing I am noticing in my games is that I think the Navies are too small for pretty much every power. Especially noticeable is the lack of Carriers. I assume that these will make it into future versions though. It would be nice if the British and French could project Naval power onto their opponents. It would be a fun little side mission for the British to send their Carriers out to sink the Bismark.

I also think the Air Forces could use a little boost in order to make them a more important aspect of gameplay. The battle for air superiority was a major aspect of the war and often determined the fate of invasions ie. The Battle of Britain.

champ123
Aug 27, 2011, 03:12 PM
Can somebody explain why my game crashes after a few turns? One turn before it freezes iīm not able to save. This is really annoying. :(

update: Iīve tried it for several times now! After a few attacks (i donīt know how many, maybe 8?) the game crashes. So i start the whole game again, load the scenario and after a few attacks it crashes. I doesnīt depend if i or the AI attacks in one or two rounds. I hope you understand what i mean. I load the game and after a few attacks it crashes again.

Example:

round whatever, say 10: I attack four times
round 11: the enemy attacks two times
round 12: i attack two times *crash*

or

round 10: i attack eight times *crash*

or

round 10: i attack seven times
round 11: the enemy attacks one time *crash*

I hope this is understandable. why is this happening?

Sethyboy0
Aug 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
Can somebody explain why my game crashes after a few turns? One turn before it freezes iīm not able to save. This is really annoying. :(

Here's what I can come up with:

Are you sure you followed all the installation options?

Do you have any previous versions of the mod (and are you running the latest)?

Worst comes to worst, try a fresh reinstall of both mod parts just in case a file is messed up.

If it still persists, go into the Civ 5 options and put your autosaving to every turn. Upload the last 2 autosaves before the crash and we'll see if anyone else crashes on them.

champ123
Aug 27, 2011, 04:22 PM
I tried it but... Itīs not autosaveing anymore :confused:
This is just happening in your mod.
But iīve attached the quicksave of my new game. Here i have the same problem. Is it because i have a german version of the game?

Morbius221
Aug 27, 2011, 07:46 PM
Let me start by saying that I love this mod. Thank you. Few issues that I am having with Version 8. Playing as Germany, every time i take over Paris game crashes with in Turn 10 - 15. Playing with Russians, after taking over Poland few turns later somehow they go back to being Polish nation. Is that part of the game?

RamboAirsoft
Aug 27, 2011, 08:59 PM
I installed it today and began to play. As soon as a city needs a new production, I cannot choose. It will not bring up the choose production screen. Any fixes?

Gedemon
Aug 27, 2011, 11:28 PM
I tried it but... Itīs not autosaveing anymore :confused:
This is just happening in your mod.
But iīve attached the quicksave of my new game. Here i have the same problem. Is it because i have a german version of the game?autosaving works fine, I'm using it frequently to reload test game. I'll have a look at your save.

Let me start by saying that I love this mod. Thank you. Few issues that I am having with Version 8. Playing as Germany, every time i take over Paris game crashes with in Turn 10 - 15. Playing with Russians, after taking over Poland few turns later somehow they go back to being Polish nation. Is that part of the game?
Do you have a save from just before the crash, or is it random ?

I'm sorry for the second bug, it will be fixed in v.9

I installed it today and began to play. As soon as a city needs a new production, I cannot choose. It will not bring up the choose production screen. Any fixes?
can you post your Lua log when starting a new game (see first post, troubleshooting section added) ?

Which version (patch) of civilization do you use ?

champ123
Aug 28, 2011, 07:31 AM
Iīve deleted all the MOD-Data and reinstalled it again. the last time i installed it using winrar. This time i used the game itself, but for the r_e_d__wwii_edition__v_8-folder i had to use winrar again, because the game crashed trying to unpack it. I have still the same problem. After a few attacks it crashes. Maybe the LUA-logfile can help you.
This is an amazing scenario although! :)
The game is still not autosaveing. I donīt understand why. Iīve checked the datafiles of the whole game via steam. Everything alright. Clearing the cache and so on...

update: A new problem. I cannot end the turn anymore. I can press the button, but nothing happens.

Gedemon
Aug 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
you were attacking Lwow when it crashes in that last game ?

do you have the corresponding quicksave ? (or tell me where you was attacking in the previous one you posted)

champ123
Aug 28, 2011, 08:26 AM
Ok, on my first game i was playing as germany and i attacked danzig when it happened.
This game iám playing as sowiet union and yes i was attacking lwow.

RamboAirsoft
Aug 28, 2011, 10:59 AM
Troubleshooted still not working

RamboAirsoft
Aug 28, 2011, 11:01 AM
Here is log: (upload is not working)!

[1929.373] RedMain: - 4a Divisione corazzata (L6-40) is already registered as UNIT_TANK_L6_40
[1929.389] RedMain: - 5a Divisione corazzata (L6-40) is already registered as UNIT_TANK_L6_40
[1946.814] -------------------------------------
[1946.814] Add and remove dynamic promotions for Adolf Hitler units ...
[1946.814] Receving Global Reinforcements for Adolf Hitler...
[1946.814] Sending Reinforcements to units...
[1948.062] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[1948.062] RedMain: Updating map ...
[1952.134] RedMain: -------------------------------------
[1952.134] RedMain: Forced Diplomacy : looking for Minor relationship...
[1952.134] RedMain: Forced Diplomacy : looking for Minor civilizations Declaration of War...
[1952.134] RedMain: Forced Diplomacy : looking for Major relationship...
[1952.134] RedMain: - Général De Gaulle (ID 6) and Winston Churchill (ID 5) have made a declaration of friendship
[1952.134] RedMain: - Adolf Hitler (ID 7) and Benito Mussolini (ID 14) have made a declaration of friendship
[1952.134] RedMain: Alert for War : looking 5 turns ahead
[1952.134] RedMain: Look for active player (0) at turn 6
[1952.134] RedMain: - No change between major that turn
[1952.134] RedMain: - Minor DOW this turn
[1952.134] RedMain: Alert for War : looking 1 turns ahead
[1952.134] RedMain: Look for active player (0) at turn 2
[1952.134] RedMain: - No change between major that turn
[1952.134] RedMain: - No change between minor that turn
[1952.134] RedMain: ------------- NEW TURN --------------
[1952.134] RedMain: Game turn 1 : July 10, 1939
[1952.134] RedMain: AI turn execution time = 59.447
[1959.278] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[1961.291] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[1962.601] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[1973.256] LeaderHeadRoot: Handling LeaderMessage: 0, Let us begin.
[1977.655] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 16, What do you propose?
[1979.886] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 16, Making such a declaration at this point in our relationship would be premature. Maybe another time.
[1987.312] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 16, Let's hear your offer.
[2000.166] DiploTrade: AdvisorControl could not be found
[2000.198] DiscussionDialog: Handling LeaderMessage: 12, Your offer is generous, and I accept.
[2006.812] LeaderHeadRoot: Handling LeaderMessage: 0, Let us begin.
[2011.211] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2014.893] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.188] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.359] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.468] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.671] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2016.874] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)
[2017.061] Runtime Error: [string "Assets\UI\InGame\InfoTooltipInclude.lua"]:181: attempt to call method 'GetPolicyBuildingClassYieldModifier' (a nil value)

RamboAirsoft
Aug 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
The runtime error is when I try to choose production.

Gedemon
Aug 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
The runtime error is when I try to choose production.

which version of civ5 are you running ?

RamboAirsoft
Aug 28, 2011, 12:00 PM
which version of civ5 are you running ?

Gedemon
Aug 28, 2011, 12:26 PM

Only thing I can think of is an incompatibility with one deactivated but installed mod.

You may try to move all mods from your mod folder (except data and core WWII) in another temporary folder somewhere else.

champ123
Aug 28, 2011, 01:06 PM
Itīs me again. Iīve found out that the game crashes every two turns. After two turns have passed, the game crashes when i attack an enemy unit or city. If i donīt attack anything, it crashes when the AI is attacking an unit or city. Any suggestions?

update: From turn to turn iīm "loosing" control of the interface. For example i press the right mouse button to move a unit. i havenīt let my finger from the button but the unit starts to move: Whatīs going on? From turn to turn there are more and more bugs.

lenin1917
Aug 28, 2011, 03:24 PM
update: A new problem. I cannot end the turn anymore. I can press the button, but nothing happens.

Got the same problem with my game as germany...

And sometimes the graphics of a units dont follow the order i give it (Exemple: if i want to move my tank to another tile it will move but the tank's graphics will still on the other tile)

Gedemon
Aug 28, 2011, 03:29 PM

like this bug (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=435465) ?

champ123
Aug 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
like this bug (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=435465) ?

No sorry. It says "Next turn" (in german "nächste runde") but nothing happens. And still: After two turns it crashes when the AI or me is attacking. Then windows tells me: civ v is not working anymore

update: The problem seems to be "bigger" (maybe it has something to do with it). During the last patch for civ v i had a problem. the patch got installed from steam but the game didnīt worked anymore. So i used steam to control the data of the game and it said that there is a problem with a file. A download started automatically and everything worked fine. Everytime i check the data of the game via steam it starts a download. everytime. The filesize is 22.8 MB. Is it possible that the problem lies there? But with other mods (iīve deleted them by the way) or in normal game i donīt have this problem. i would like to reinstall the whole game but the stupid thing with steam is, that i have to download all the patches again. I have a limit on internet, so i would have to wait two month until it would be possible to download all the patches again. i have a limit of 4 GB per month... :(

Gedemon
Aug 28, 2011, 05:12 PM
maybe, should validate only once... your savegame are not from the mod btw, it's a game with Alexander.

I'll post v.9 tomorrow anyway, having a good test game playing as Italy, fixed a few remaining bugs with "Fall of..." scripts, Naval Counter-Attack included and fixed and added real date compiled by NwabudikeMorgan...

champ123
Aug 28, 2011, 05:51 PM
Ok, maybe the new version works.

edit: sorry such a shame... Here it is

Gedemon
Aug 29, 2011, 08:00 AM
new version (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17470&act=down) !

v0.9 (Aug 29, 2011):
- Bugfix : "Fall of Poland" should now works as intended...
- Bugfix : "Fall of France" (some cities were not flipped correctly to Vichy France if already captured by axis power)
- Feature : add real date for DoW / Annexation / Alliance compiled by NwabudikeMorgan
- Feature : add naval counter-attack mod by Mylon
- Balance : change Destroyer Anti-Submarine promotion to +200% (was 100%)
- Balance : battleships range down to 1 (was 2)
- Balance : artillery get -50% combat against Naval units, -25% against Armor, +50% against cities and +25% against Gun
- Change : USSR won't become permanently allied with Uk/France (to prevent Poland liberation by USSR)

champ123
Aug 29, 2011, 02:38 PM
Deleted old files and installed new mod. copied the file to common. Germany declares war on poland and then? Game crashes after every two turns. Same as last time. What is wrong here... :(

Gedemon
Aug 29, 2011, 03:01 PM
I've you tried playing in english ?

I'm at turn 110 in my Italy test game with v.9, had only one random crash so far then reloaded from autosave without problem, so I'm pretty sure the mod works here...

What's your PC configuration (OS, memory, CPU, GPU) ?

champ123
Aug 29, 2011, 04:34 PM
I've you tried playing in english ?

I'm at turn 110 in my Italy test game with v.9, had only one random crash so far then reloaded from autosave without problem, so I'm pretty sure the mod works here...

What's your PC configuration (OS, memory, CPU, GPU) ?

Windows Vista
Intel Core 2 Quad
3GB
2 Nvidia 8600 GS with 1,5GB Memory (tried playing with just one GPU)
All drivers are the actuell ones

I tried playing it in english. I was getting two error messages:

"Unable to load texture [WW2 FlagsAtlas 64.dds]"
"Unable to load texture [WW2 LeadersAtlas 64.dds]"

But i was able to play. But this time the game crashed after one turn.

Do you think itīs possible to downgrade the game? I think it all started with this new patch... I was able to play your scenario two versions ago.

marceljv
Aug 29, 2011, 04:39 PM
copied the file to common. (

Hmm. I have never done this.
Only ever had two crashes and one was due to waiting for humans to finish bug.

Which common folder does that file need to go to? The one under resources?

champ123
Aug 29, 2011, 04:56 PM
Hmm. I have never done this.
Only ever had two crashes and one was due to waiting for humans to finish bug.

Which common folder does that file need to go to? The one under resources?

The one which is metioned in Gedemons readme-file in the r_e_d__wwii_edition__v_9-folder. But i tried playing without doing this. Game crashes all the time. I think all problems started with the last patch and the problems i had with it.

Gedemon
Aug 29, 2011, 04:56 PM
Yes, the "..\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\resource\Common\" folder. It's optionnal, a fix for propeller position from danrell pack.

marceljv
Aug 29, 2011, 06:44 PM
Windows Vista
I tried playing it in english. I was getting two error messages:

"Unable to load texture [WW2 FlagsAtlas 64.dds]"
"Unable to load texture [WW2 LeadersAtlas 64.dds]"

But i was able to play. But this time the game crashed after one turn.

Do you think itīs possible to downgrade the game? I think it all started with this new patch... I was able to play your scenario two versions ago.

Those two files should be in your mods\R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1)\art\icons folder. If they are not there then that is why it crashed, or they could be corrupted.

Delm
Aug 29, 2011, 08:46 PM
Im playing version 9, turn 63 and no crash so far...

In fact no bugs either... :goodjob:

champ123
Aug 30, 2011, 03:54 AM
Those two files should be in your mods\R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1)\art\icons folder. If they are not there then that is why it crashed, or they could be corrupted.

They are in that folder and iīve downloaded the folder (R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1)) for several times, tried to copy the files using winrar, winzip and 7zip.

marceljv
Aug 30, 2011, 06:05 AM
I assume the messages I see about the reserves showing up in various capitals is for the AI only?

Also the only nation that can build Infantry seems to be Germany is this intentional?

If it is a ratio thing can you provide that or point to the post where this information is? That is a ratio of X number of Armour to Infantry before you can build Infantry or whatever.

Thanks for a great game, I am having a blast playing it. Much better then any other scenario I have tried.:goodjob:

Gedemon
Aug 30, 2011, 06:31 AM
The ratio should be for AI only, but you need barracks to make infantries units (which has no ratio BTW).

Gwynin
Aug 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
Well old save games work with the new update ?

Awesome mod btw :)

Delm
Aug 30, 2011, 02:25 PM
Captured Kiel and the germans had a submarine in it, that submarine is now in Magdeburg, which looks a bit ridicilous... perhaps have sea units move to nearest sea tile instead of nearest city on city capture :)

Gedemon
Aug 30, 2011, 02:30 PM
As a general rule, finish your old game before updating, I can't guarantee save compatibility between each new version.

The navy retreat from cities is in my to do list, yes. :D

marceljv
Aug 30, 2011, 03:59 PM
What happens to all my Italian aircraft in what will become Vichy cities when the Vichy event fires? Do they redeploy back to Italy?

Thanks.

Gedemon
Aug 30, 2011, 04:32 PM
What happens to all my Italian aircraft in what will become Vichy cities when the Vichy event fires? Do they redeploy back to Italy?

Thanks.

Since v.9 they all should redeploy to your nearest city (could be Nice), yes.

Delm
Aug 30, 2011, 08:16 PM
Gedemon I made a smaller european map to play on, how can I load it with your mod? Want to see if it will improve my speed inbetween turns =)

Gedemon
Aug 31, 2011, 03:27 AM
Gedemon I made a smaller european map to play on, how can I load it with your mod? Want to see if it will improve my speed inbetween turns =)
adding a scenario is doable, but require some Lua knowledge, there's a quick "how to" in the development thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=431344).

Changing only the map can be done, but then you'll have also a lot of Lua editing to do, because the current scenario script refers to map coordinate for initial unit placement and scripted events as "fall of ..."

Achille44
Aug 31, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hello Gedemon, I tried this scenario and it's awesome !! :) I enjoy the unique units, and the combats are more realistic now, it's great! But for the moment I just tried France and Britain (and i have not finished one game yet...)

But I have some suggestions to improve this mod :
1. All the infantry units are the same, they have all the same strength, the same health, and I think it would be nice to have differents infantry units for each nation. for exemple more strength for german infantry, and less for russians...
2. At the start, french have some "foreign legion" in their colonies, but I'm not sure you know exactly what the foreign legion is... It's not an unit that specifically fight in the colonies and which is weak. It's an elite unit, composed of soldiers who are not french. So it would be better if the "foreign legion" would be more powerful than the other french infantry units. And is it possible to produce foreign legion in the cities?
3. I saw a bug with some of my tanks units (tank B1 and AMR 36) : when I attack a german tank, the enemy bonus become bonus for my own tank :confused: . It's only with my tanks and against other tanks, but there is not always this bug... Look at the screenshot in attachments (sorry but the game is in french...)
4. I'm just at the turn 43 for the moment in my game with france, but I think that is not hard enough for the french (I just lost Strasbourg and I can help Belgium and Nederlands, and I play in deity), and I think it would be better if the french cities produce slower. Or maybe I'm wrong and the difficulty comes later...
5. I think there are not enough fights in the north Afrika, maybe you could add more units for each nation in the sector...
6. In v8 I had a permanent alliance with Great Britain early, but with v9 i'm at the turn 43 and i have not yet permanent alliance, so it comes later or it's a bug??
7. The AI doesn't know how to use the planes, but I don't know if you can change that.
8. The AI is not agressive with his ships : when I find german or italian ships and I start to fight with them, they withdraw or they let themselves be surrounded.
9. Could you remove some mountain tiles in the south East of France? Because I see Italians have an army ready to invade me but they can't do anything with just one tile to attack Nice... And if Italy tried to invade france it would be harder, and so better for me :D
I hope it will be useful. Continue to do a good job by improving this mod, because it's fantastic!!:goodjob:
(and sorry if I have a bad english, I hope every body can understand what I have written :D )

Gwynin
Aug 31, 2011, 09:17 AM
Just wondering, but is it a bug or working as intended that planes on intercept duty dont earn xp ? :)

Gedemon
Aug 31, 2011, 09:51 AM
@Achille44

thanks for the comments :D

1/ maybe, but I don't plan it for the moment, the infantry is the base common unit, there will be a lot more units to be added that will be specific to each nation, giving more differences in gameplay.

2/ yes, the Legion will be an elite unit, but I haven't coded some of the future bonus promotion that I plan for those kind of units. It's a test unit for future elite troops: smaller in size (regiment against division) and carrying lighter weapons (weak against armor/air), but are better than infantry when fighting another gun unit (ie: infantry, mechanized infantry), have already some powerful promotion (ignore movement cost, 3 moves), and will have some others (including paradrop, invisible on wood/jungle, sabotage, sniper, ...)

3/ there are some "negative bonus", I may take the time to add a check before displaying the texts here, but the vanilla game doesn't understand "-25% against armor" as a penalty, and show it as a "bonus" of -25%... The calculation are right, and the color shown rightly whose the bonus is for.

In the first picture the german light tank as a penalty of 10% in defense because it supply line is cut, the second one also show the -25% penalty against armor for all light tank units.

4/ seems that Germany has gone for Poland first in your game, maybe some of it's units are still there. Depending of the game, it may goes at you with all units after the declaration of war, and then you'll have some fights to defend Paris with only your starting units...

5/ yes, planned

6/ maybe a bug, I'll have a look

7/ we'll see, I hope too

8/ rhettrongun suggestion has helped a bit, the naval counter-attack mod too, bu I'll see if something more can be done, yes.

9/ you're not the first one to suggest that, I'll test a change for v.10 with one mountain tile changed to hill so that Nice could be attacked by 2 positions.

@Gwynin

it's a vanilla thing, I hope to change that (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=437781) in v.10

Delm
Aug 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
adding a scenario is doable, but require some Lua knowledge, there's a quick "how to" in the development thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=431344).

Changing only the map can be done, but then you'll have also a lot of Lua editing to do, because the current scenario script refers to map coordinate for initial unit placement and scripted events as "fall of ..."

Thanks for the url, should have seen that myself =)

Wouldn't it be possible to remove those scripted events and just add permanent war betweem team 1 (allies) and team 2 (axis)? And initial unit placement could be done through the world builder no?

Gedemon
Aug 31, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the url, should have seen that myself =)

Wouldn't it be possible to remove those scripted events and just add permanent war betweem team 1 (allies) and team 2 (axis)? And initial unit placement could be done through the world builder no?

Yes you can do that, but it will still require a minimum of editing.

edit: but the problem with a WB placement is that if you add new units to the mod (and I will), it may totally mess the WB placement (switch unit types)

Achille44
Aug 31, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thank you for the answers gedemon :) I'm waiting for the next versions anxiously
For those who play as allies, did you see sometimes germans invade the Denmark?? Because in my games, they sometimes bomb Denmark with their planes but they never send troops to take control of the cities :confused:

Delm
Aug 31, 2011, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the answers gedemon :) I'm waiting for the next versions anxiously
For those who play as allies, did you see sometimes germans invade the Denmark?? Because in my games, they sometimes bomb Denmark with their planes but they never send troops to take control of the cities :confused:

The germans have taken aalborg in my games but never copenhagen... and they never attacked norway either.

They did try to invade the UK though after they took Paris, I believe they almost took London before they declared me (I was playing as USSR)

champ123
Aug 31, 2011, 05:35 PM
Itīs me again. Iīve uninstalled the whole game, installed it again and steam installed the latest patch. I attack an enemy unit, crash! Doesnīt anybody have any suggestions? I mean, can this be possible? The data of the game canīt be corrupt, because of the new installation. You can all play the mod, but iīm not able to. Do you use DLC-Stuff or what? I donīt have any DLC. Please help.

T_KCommanderbly
Aug 31, 2011, 08:02 PM
Itīs me again. Iīve uninstalled the whole game, installed it again and steam installed the latest patch. I attack an enemy unit, crash! Doesnīt anybody have any suggestions? I mean, can this be possible? The data of the game canīt be corrupt, because of the new installation. You can all play the mod, but iīm not able to. Do you use DLC-Stuff or what? I donīt have any DLC. Please help.

Well it sounds like the animations are making the crash on your computer... Do regular vannila civ animations work?

if you could use the lua console and post what it says (which I think you already did but do it again), it would help us understand.

But your case does seem really wierd...

wulfy
Aug 31, 2011, 08:55 PM
Oh Champ, we feel so bad for you. Hope you get it installed soon.

Scoles
Sep 01, 2011, 01:33 AM
2Gedemon

Just find this MOD. Great job of rebuilding CiV :bowdown:

Reg. map
There are a lot of "unknown" cities in USSR, but there is no Sevastopol or Kerch.

Samara is not correct name for USSR-era - it should be Kujbyshev.

Mihailovka should be changed to Millerovo as it means more for battle for Stalingrad.

Very common mistake ones again ;)
There should be rail-road from Misk to Brest-Litovsk.

And Bug river should flow in the west and north of Brest-Litovsk, not south and east like now.

There were a lot of fortifications that time.
I guess it'll be nice if you add some (Fortification areas near Minsk, Kiev, Brest, Mannergeim line)... with changing game art for citadel.

Reg. units
IMO units are too healthy, they are as fat as butter!
It takes too much time to destroy something even with help of artillery and bombers... or they are too weak :confused:
Construction price for infantry is too big. These is no sense for making this unit.

Reg. cities
I suggest to reduce cities strength or remove it for free capturing if there is no garrison.
That will increase speed of Blitzkrig.

Reg. gameplay
To the point of Blitzkrig.
I ran some test saves for USSR.
Poor Adolf is not able to capture even Denmark... it's December of 1941... :hammer2:

There should be some script for USSR-Finland war which contains end date for war and changes in territory... guess you have got such plans.
Now AI attacks Murmansk and there are no finnish units on Karelian neck.

USSR-Iran "war". Are there british units from other side of Iran?

So these are quick overview of my tests.

Gedemon
Sep 01, 2011, 08:11 AM
thank you, I'll make some correction to the map :)

About units, the game is more centered on territory gain/lose with the retreat feature than on unit destruction. Of course you should kill enemy units every time you can, but it's not mandatory, you win the war first by attrition, removing the other nation capacity to reinforce it's unit, then by wearing the survivors down.

About cities, I was thinking that they were already too easy to conquer, and I'm adding heavy bombers to v.10...

And yes, there are more script planned, but those are time consumming (and prone to bug) so they'll be added slowly.

Delm
Sep 01, 2011, 08:41 AM
I agree infantery is a bit too expensive, the only reason I train infantery in my current game is lack of material...

Gedemon
Sep 01, 2011, 09:00 AM
General question : which units do you use to take cities ?

A tank cost 375 :c5production: and have a strength of 34 :c5strength: against cities (50 base -33%), and use lot's of material to reinforce.

An infantry cost 240 :c5production:, have a strength of 43 :c5strength: against cities (36 base +20%), can get another +20% city promotion and use almost no material.

Not counting the defensive bonus on rough terrain to keep your ground, in fact you should build tanks only to keep enemy infantry far away of your cities :D

But I'll like more feedback on that point.

Achille44
Sep 01, 2011, 10:55 AM
Personally, I attack cities with infantry with the help of my bombers. I use the tanks to defend my territory and my infantry, because they are fast, and to surround the enemy armies who attack me.

Scoles
Sep 01, 2011, 10:58 AM
the game is more centered on territory gain/lose with the retreat feature than on unit destruction
Well, it's rather hard to make unit to retreat.
BTW is it possible to make "surrender" when unit is in encirclement?
It wont help AI, but it will be useful for players.

General question : which units do you use to take cities ?
Infantry.
Reason is simple.
I use tanks for encirclement: strategical or tactical.
So slow infantry is in rearguard will cannons in front of cities.
And I couldn't say it's easy now to capture cities, usually it tooks several turns, but i attack it after heavy cannon fire and bombing.

marceljv
Sep 01, 2011, 12:05 PM
Personally, I attack cities with infantry with the help of my bombers. I use the tanks to defend my territory and my infantry, because they are fast, and to surround the enemy armies who attack me.

Same here.

Material production is just to low to use tanks to take cities, which is a great feature.

I did not realize you were adding heavy bombers, my personal though is that the bombers we have are heavy enough.

I would think bombers along this line.
Light (-50% city attack, +(Various)% vs ground and or naval if you want sub types. Short range.
Medium (-25% city attack, no bonus/penalty vs ground and small -20% vs naval). medium range
Heavy (0% vs City attack, -25-50% vs ground/naval unit). Long range.

This way we do not increase the pace of the game via bombers. As it is, once you up the medium bombers we have now with some bonuses they take down cities very quickly.

Gedemon
Sep 01, 2011, 12:45 PM
As it is, once you up the medium bombers we have now with some bonuses they take down cities very quickly.

exactly, that's why I'm surprised to have so many report about cities being difficult to capture.

we'll see how it plays with heavy bomber as they are defined currently in next version (v.10), then we'll have time to balance things... knowing that there will also be heavy-fighters added to counter bomber/heavy-bombers attack...

btw I've added a link in the first post to the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlyP3rZ7KU2JdEtGYXJiQ2stQzVqa0NueWNzbHRae mc&hl=en_US) I use to keep things ordered, the main unit statistics are there for reference.

jeffah3539
Sep 01, 2011, 12:53 PM
I found that I used Tanks to capture cities when playing as Germany and Infantry when playing as anyone else. The best way to capture cities is using Bombers. Once you get a couple of Bombers promoted to Logistics you can bomb a city to 1 hp in a couple of turns.

Have you considered making units cost Personnel and Materiel to build? I was reading up on the war this week and I saw a rather interesting passage about the Germans' victories in Norway and Holland coming at the cost of casualties which forced them to use Personnel and Materiel to reinforce their current units rather than being able to expand their military force for the invasion of Britain.

The big thing holding this scenario back for me is the stupidity of the AI. I was trying to determine why Germany was so weak when they should be powerful and the AI is the reason. The free Blitz promotion is really powerful in the hands of the Human player because it allows 1 Panzer to do the job of 3. In the hands of the AI it is a huge liability. If France or Poland digs in an Infantry in the Forest the German AI will repeatedly attack it from across rivers. I have seen the Germans use their Panzer III's to repeatedly attack the same French Infantry over a river. Every time they attack they would lose 10-15 hp while only dealing 1 hp in damage. After about 20 turns of this Kamikaze warfare, the German offensive is completely spent. Probably not something you can fix but it would be nice if the AI actually understood basic principles of tactical positioning.

Another issue that I noticed was that the British cannot have supply lines on the mainland. With Germany being so weak I wasn't really able to do much playing as the British because the Germans never captured a coastal city in the West so i could never establish a launch point for an invasion.

Sethyboy0
Sep 01, 2011, 12:53 PM
Holy cow, some of those tanks are powerful. I'm guessing the super heavy tank would be something like the King Tiger?

Delm
Sep 01, 2011, 12:57 PM
Another issue that I noticed was that the British cannot have supply lines on the mainland. With Germany being so weak I wasn't really able to do much playing as the British because the Germans never captured a coastal city in the West so i could never establish a launch point for an invasion.

They get the supply line once they get permanent allied to France :)

Gedemon
Sep 01, 2011, 01:11 PM
Have you considered making units cost Personnel and Materiel to build? I was reading up on the war this week and I saw a rather interesting passage about the Germans' victories in Norway and Holland coming at the cost of casualties which forced them to use Personnel and Materiel to reinforce their current units rather than being able to expand their military force for the invasion of Britain.
I've considered it, yes, and may add it (and plan to add it for certain project consuming materiel each turn, like super heavy tank design when they'll be added)

ATM, I feel that the current system is close to what you're describing : at some times I prefer to switch my prod cities to "War Bonds" and reinforce my current (and sometime heavy promoted units - with field hospital and repair promotions for example) instead of creating new ones less promoted that will lose more HP in combat and drain more reinforcements each turn...

About that, I need feedback on the current XP given to new units, are Barracks, Academy and Military Base overpowered, or does the cost/turn balance their bonuses ?

And yep the IA is an issue, a simple game event like CanAttack(plot) would help, because it would allow to code something preventing suicidal attacks. Or the DLL access.

About britain and supply line, I must check again France/UK permanent alliance, cause once it's set, normally your units would get supply line with French cities (or any CS you're allied with)

Gedemon
Sep 01, 2011, 03:29 PM

Ok, I've made a few test, and will allow reinforcement to come from friendly city-states in v.10 to fix the issue.

Currently your supply line can goes though any territory of nations that share open border with you, but the end of the line had to be one of your cities, or an allied city (CS or player)

At start of the game, you're friend but not allied with Belgium and Netherlands, so you couldn't use their cities nor the French ones before the permanent alliance.

Now you'll just have to keep a road open between your troops on mainland and Brussels or Amsterdam to get supply, until permanent alliance with France (or you occupy a German city).

marceljv
Sep 01, 2011, 04:36 PM
Ok, I've made a few test, and will allow reinforcement to come from friendly city-states in v.10 to fix the issue.

Currently your supply line can goes though any territory of nations that share open border with you, but the end of the line had to be one of your cities, or an allied city (CS or player)

At start of the game, you're friend but not allied with Belgium and Netherlands, so you couldn't use their cities nor the French ones before the permanent alliance.

Now you'll just have to keep a road open between your troops on mainland and Brussels or Amsterdam to get supply, until permanent alliance with France (or you occupy a German city).

Great that will help Italy against Greece as Albania does not provide supply the way it is in V.9

To help the AI I would suggest moving the river north and east of Paris to be south and west this way the suicidal AI maybe able to take it.

gosu
Sep 01, 2011, 05:38 PM
Hello.

First I must say, very nice mod. Thanks for the effort you put in.

I played some games with Italy on v10. In November 39, Russia declares war on me. I don't think
that is like you want it right ? :-)

Morbius221
Sep 01, 2011, 06:02 PM
Hello Gedemon. I notice that Fighters dont get exp when they engage units in Intercept mode. Which leaves me to use them forever attacking units to build them up before I commit them to Intercept mode. Is there any way to add exp when fighters engage with in Intercept mode. They are fighting and bringing down units. It logical for them to get exp for it.

Gedemon
Sep 01, 2011, 06:38 PM
Hello.

First I must say, very nice mod. Thanks for the effort you put in.

I played some games with Italy on v10. In November 39, Russia declares war on me. I don't think
that is like you want it right ? :-)
v.10 is not released yet, last version is v.9 ;)

Nations are "free" to declare war as long as it's axis vs allies at anytime.

The mod just make sure that at the real date the war will be declared and became permanent. but before you (or the AI) may decide to change history.

I want to keep that bit of "what if" in the mod, but I could add an option to make war start at absolute real date if there are enough request.

Hello Gedemon. I notice that Fighters dont get exp when they engage units in Intercept mode. Which leaves me to use them forever attacking units to build them up before I commit them to Intercept mode. Is there any way to add exp when fighters engage with in Intercept mode. They are fighting and bringing down units. It logical for them to get exp for it.
Yep, XP for intercepting units is in test and should be integrated in v.10 when it will be released.

Morbius221
Sep 01, 2011, 08:41 PM
I have to say that I am not a fan of battleship now shooting only on space away in Vr10 vs Vr9 were they were shooting 2 spaces away. U have a limitation of only building 2 battleships per class, and I think thats a really good balance. Makes them very important. Now that they have to shoot 1 space away, they are forced to be in the front lines which causes them a lout of damage from submarines and planes. Then it takes forever for them to recover. I would recommend going back to 2 spaces to keep the battleships a bit more in safety like in real war fare.

JEELEN
Sep 02, 2011, 12:13 AM
Material production is just to low to use tanks to take cities, which is a great feature.

Indeed.

BTW, great mod. :goodjob:

Scoles
Sep 02, 2011, 01:14 AM
Check USSR-side of map precisely.
Orenburg should be changed to Chkalov.
Yakutsk before Ural Mountains? That’s really funny! Or may be it just a mistake as Kazan should be there.
Why Tartu not capital Tallin?
As I wrote before Sevastopol must be added with shipyard as it was main Navy base on Black Sea.

JEELEN
Sep 02, 2011, 01:17 AM
I agree. ;)

Scoles
Sep 02, 2011, 01:19 AM
exactly, that's why I'm surprised to have so many report about cities being difficult to capture.
It's not difficult, it's too long.

And ones again I've got helpless Adolf who is not able to capture Copenhagen even in the beginning of 1942.

Gedemon
Sep 02, 2011, 04:12 AM
Check USSR-side of map precisely.
Orenburg should be changed to Chkalov.
Yakutsk before Ural Mountains? That’s really funny! Or may be it just a mistake as Kazan should be there.
Why Tartu not capital Tallin?
As I wrote before Sevastopol must be added with shipyard as it was main Navy base on Black Sea.
Thanks again, names corrected (looking at google map, I still don't understand how I've made the Yakutsk/Kazan mistake...)

I had the feeling that Tallinn was too close of Helsinki, but I've changed that too for v.10

And Sevastopol is already in my test version :D

It's not difficult, it's too long.

And ones again I've got helpless Adolf who is not able to capture Copenhagen even in the beginning of 1942.
The problem is also to balance AI/human, not easy.

Arexander
Sep 02, 2011, 07:51 AM
Tried your mod yesterday and I like what I'm seeing. The only problem I've encountered as of now, is a huge one: whenever I try to conquer Paris, the game crashes. I mean, when I've reduced its health enough to conquer it with the next attack, the attack animation is played regularly, but immediately after the unit moves into the city, the game crashes to desktop.

Gedemon
Sep 02, 2011, 08:08 AM
Tried your mod yesterday and I like what I'm seeing. The only problem I've encountered as of now, is a huge one: whenever I try to conquer Paris, the game crashes. I mean, when I've reduced its health enough to conquer it with the next attack, the attack animation is played regularly, but immediately after the unit moves into the city, the game crashes to desktop.

Do you have the same problem with Warsaw ?

Arexander
Sep 02, 2011, 08:29 AM
No, but it did lag a bit when I counquered it. I did have two of Poland's cities before conquering Warsaw and 3 of France's before conquering Paris.

Gedemon
Sep 02, 2011, 08:35 AM
do you have a savegame from just before conquering Paris so I can test it ?

Arexander
Sep 02, 2011, 08:46 AM
I need to check it, I'll edit this post ASAP.

EDIT: No, I don't have right before the conquest. The most recent save is from the time I was moving my troops to the Western Front after conquering Poland. I'll play to the time of conquest of Paris and save the game before making the critical attack.

Arexander
Sep 02, 2011, 09:46 AM
Crash to desktop again when trying to conquer Paris. This time I saved before trying it. Attack with the infantry when you test it.

Delm
Sep 02, 2011, 09:56 AM
Removing the rivers around copenhagen might make it easier for AI germany...

The biggest issue for me is the fact that the AI will use its fighters to bomb me instead of intercepting my bombers, so my army is basically just a few tanks and 20+ bombers... bomb units and cities, making sure the tank only need to hit the city once (-33% penalty is no biggie when you just need to hit the city with a single hit).

Also as someone has reported, fighters don't seem to earn XP on intercept missions, despite intercepting twice every turn... minor bug though.

JEELEN
Sep 02, 2011, 02:12 PM
AFAIK Denmark didnīt have any air force to speak of anyway. Nor did Holland. Or Belgium. Or Norway. Poland had a few, though they got blasted mostly on airfields during the original assault.

BTW, I downloaded the latest version, and all I get is a lot of DLS fail to load messages. So the mod wonīt load. any suggestionīd be appreciated. ;)

T_KCommanderbly
Sep 02, 2011, 02:14 PM
AFAIK Denmark didnīt have any air force to speak of anyway.

BTW, I downloaded the latest version, and all I get is a lot of DLS fail to load messages. So the mod wonīt load. any suggestionīd be appreciated. ;)

did you download both the parts of the mod?

JEELEN
Sep 02, 2011, 02:19 PM
I used the 1-zip option īfor peeps who have trouble w-the double download and installī. I checked the mod content after install, but on 1st look it seemed OK. And I have no other mods running when trying to start.

Morbius221
Sep 02, 2011, 03:10 PM
Gedemon, Can you explain your reasons behind battleship shooting 1 space away vs 2 in Vr9.

Also I started a game with Russian in Vr9. At turn 39 it crashes. Not sure why. I attached saved game right before the crash. I should mention that I did attack Finland on my own before scheduled war. Thats the only think I can think of, but the game played fine for many turns after words until turn 39. Hopefully u can figure out why it crashed. And thank you again for constant updates. Waiting for Vr 10 to come out to start a new game. :cool:

T_KCommanderbly
Sep 02, 2011, 03:53 PM
I used the 1-zip option īfor peeps who have trouble w-the double download and installī. I checked the mod content after install, but on 1st look it seemed OK. And I have no other mods running when trying to start.

Try downloading both the data files and the regular file. Then extract it using 7zip or winrar. And enable both when selecting mods.

By the way you describe your error I'm guessing it can't find the art files which are located in the "data file" download.

Gedemon
Sep 02, 2011, 04:02 PM
You've got the error message on the setup screen or when the new game is loading ?

Gedemon, Can you explain your reasons behind battleship shooting 1 space away vs 2 in Vr9.

Also I started a game with Russian in Vr9. At turn 39 it crashes. Not sure why. I attached saved game right before the crash. I should mention that I did attack Finland on my own before scheduled war. Thats the only think I can think of, but the game played fine for many turns after words until turn 39. Hopefully u can figure out why it crashed. And thank you again for constant updates. Waiting for Vr 10 to come out to start a new game. :cool:
Thanks I'll try both savegame posted lately and will report, just need to finish a quick test game with T_KCommanderbly scenario first.

about battleship, as said on the development thread, it's mainly to help AI (combined with naval counter-attacks) and to prevent Battleships to be able to bombard inland.

Gedemon
Sep 02, 2011, 05:10 PM
Crash to desktop again when trying to conquer Paris. This time I saved before trying it. Attack with the infantry when you test it.

Hopefully u can figure out why it crashed. And thank you again for constant updates. Waiting for Vr 10 to come out to start a new game. :cool:

Thank you for the saves, it seems that both your problems are linked to the fall of France event (Germany capture it during IA turn with the second save.)

My problem is that both saves does not crash on my PC, I was able to take Paris and goes next turn in the first, and also goes next turn after Paris capture in the second.

So I need help from other players to test the saves and report if it crashes the game or not for them.

I hope it's not a hardware issue (there is indeed a lag when the event fire)

Morbius221
Sep 02, 2011, 05:42 PM
I hope it's not a hardware issue (there is indeed a lag when the event fire)

No hardware issues for me. I have 3.07 GHz, Radeon HD 5800 Graphic card w/ 12gigs of Ram. I run Shogun 2 with full graphic on with no issue.

JEELEN
Sep 03, 2011, 12:58 AM
You've got the error message on the setup screen or when the new game is loading ?

Actually both, because I tried to load a new game anyway. (Lots of files arenīt loading, and I could only select Germany to start with, with no leader pic appearing.)

Achille44
Sep 03, 2011, 03:49 AM
Miracle!! I saw an italian plane intercepting one of my bombers! :worship: :lol:

I have some questions (maybe stupid) about the mod :
1- promotions to heal units faster, or during movements,etc , are they useful with the new system of reinforcement?
2- What do we have to do to win a game? Do we have to conquer all the enemy cities (and the enemy CS too)?

Gedemon
Sep 03, 2011, 03:50 AM
Actually both, because I tried to load a new game anyway. (Lots of files arenīt loading, and I could only select Germany to start with, with no leader pic appearing.)

maybe the data mod is not correctly extracted, you should have R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1) folder containing 1777 files for ~182MB and R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 9) folder with 89 files for ~13.8MB

Gedemon
Sep 03, 2011, 03:55 AM
Miracle!! I saw an italian plane intercepting one of my bombers! :worship: :lol:

I have some questions (maybe stupid) about the mod :
1- promotions to heal units faster, or during movements,etc , are they useful with the new system of reinforcement?
2- What do we have to do to win a game? Do we have to conquer all the enemy cities (and the enemy CS too)?

1- They've changed name, and they are very useful to reduce your reinforcements need. Note that unit heal every turn even if they had performed an action the previous one, as long as they have a supply line and there are reinforcements available. Embarked unit don't heal, and ship must be in city to heal.

2- Capture all enemy capitals. Just realized a bug in current version, I need to set a custom victory for Allis, because since v.9 USSR don't become permanently allied with France/UK and the victory condition can't be completed... I'll fix that in v.10 or v.11

Achille44
Sep 03, 2011, 04:06 AM
2- Capture all enemy capitals. Just realized a bug in current version, I need to set a custom victory for Allis, because since v.9 USSR don't become permanently allied with France/UK and the victory condition can't be completed... I'll fix that in v.10 or v.11

Ok, thank you :). So I understand now why I don't win despite the fact that I control Rome and Berlin :crazyeye:
I confirm that I have a bug because after 83 turns I still don't have permanent alliance with UK (and play with France)
And I saw that Hungary was at war against axis, but normally they are together, no?

JEELEN
Sep 03, 2011, 04:44 AM
maybe the data mod is not correctly extracted, you should have R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1) folder containing 1777 files for ~182MB and R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 9) folder with 89 files for ~13.8MB

OK, Iīll check.

EDIT: OK, thatīs weird, all I can see is a folder that says itīs version 5. Guess I better try and download again...

Gedemon
Sep 03, 2011, 04:51 AM
And I saw that Hungary was at war against axis, but normally they are together, no?
They may have gone to permanent war due to CS invasion from Italy or Germany. I'll have to find a way to prevent that.

Delm
Sep 03, 2011, 05:32 AM
Hungary declared axis in my game as well, I think this is because german/italian troops were hanging around in their territory while trying to take back Kosice, not certain though. Maybe make hungary friendly to Germany/Italy would solve it?

gosu
Sep 03, 2011, 08:59 AM
I am trying Italy with v9 right now.

Some minor bug:
In Turn 40, the germans captured Paris. Now every turn I get a message that my influence to Morocco and Tunesia has nearly decayed to the point where I'm not their Ally anymore.

The AI has still problems with attacking Cities/Units from the sea or across the river. But thereīs probably not much you can do about that right ? (maybe only allowing those attacks with the amphibious promotion?)

Hoping for version 10 to arrive soon. I can't wait for all those new units ;-)

champ123
Sep 03, 2011, 02:57 PM
Well it sounds like the animations are making the crash on your computer... Do regular vannila civ animations work?

if you could use the lua console and post what it says (which I think you already did but do it again), it would help us understand.

But your case does seem really wierd...

Hello!

No, all animations work. And when i play the regular game (not the scenario) everything is fine. Iīve attached the Logfile again. Thanks :)

I mean, when I've reduced its health enough to conquer it with the next attack, the attack animation is played regularly, but immediately after the unit moves into the city, the game crashes to desktop.
Itīs similar to my problem. the attack animation is played regularly and then the game stucks for a second and crashes with the message "civ v is not working anymore". But itīs not only when i attack a city. After two rounds it happens whether i attack a city or unit. Sometimes it happens while the AI is moving. I guess it happens after a few times of attacks whether i or the AI attacks. Sorry to say, but this gives me a little hope that itīs not just a problem with my game... Maybe it has to do something with a special configuartion of our systems? Because as iīve mentioned before, iīve uninstalled the whole game and scenariodata again and again.
Iīve also checked the files again: R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1) folder contains 1777 files for ~182MB and R.E.D. WWII Edition (v 9) folder 89 files for ~13.8MB. Everything is alright here.

EDIT: Iīve found a Database Log of Civ V. It says something about "Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Adjective".Does anybody know what it means? Is this the whole problem?

[285.310] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[296.464] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[297.493] Passed Validation.
[298.024]
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
[Cur] [Max]
Malloc: 289384 2390720
PageCache: 3648 3819
LookAside: 45 1878
Scratch: 0 1

Static Buffer Overflows:
[TooLarge] [NoSpace]
PageCache: 0 0
Scratch: 0 0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc: 65280
PageCache: 1160
Scratch: 6640

Prepared Statements:
Current: 5
------------------------------
[350.393] no such column: Type
[376.414] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[376.648] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Adjective - "British" does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.648] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Adjective - "Italian" does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.648] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Adjective - "Soviet" does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.680] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.ShortDescription - "United Kingdom" does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.680] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.ShortDescription - "Italy" does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.680] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.ShortDescription - "U.S.S.R." does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.711] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Description - "United Kingdom" does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.726] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Description - "Italy" does not exist in Language_en_US
[376.726] Invalid Reference on Civilizations.Description - "U.S.S.R." does not exist in Language_en_US
[377.350] Failed Validation.
[377.818]
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
[Cur] [Max]
Malloc: 368032 2390720
PageCache: 3881 4982
LookAside: 1160 2991
Scratch: 0 1

Static Buffer Overflows:
[TooLarge] [NoSpace]
PageCache: 0 661200
Scratch: 0 0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc: 65280
PageCache: 1160
Scratch: 6640

Prepared Statements:
Current: 19
------------------------------

Gwynin
Sep 04, 2011, 09:32 AM
They may have gone to permanent war due to CS invasion from Italy or Germany. I'll have to find a way to prevent that.

Yeah Ive had that happen once so far in the 3 games Ive done as Germany, its not a huge issue but it does bug things a bit up :)

Gedemon
Sep 04, 2011, 10:03 AM
Hello!

No, all animations work. And when i play the regular game (not the scenario) everything is fine. Iīve attached the Logfile again. Thanks :)
I'm really sorry, the log file don't give any indication on why it has crashed, and the xml report is nothing serious.

I'll release v.10 in a few hours, but I'm afraid it won't solve an issue I can't reproduce.

Scoles
Sep 04, 2011, 11:06 AM
2Gedemon
Samara is not correct name for USSR-era - it should be Kujbyshev.
I've checked few dictionaries and realized I gave you wrong English spell.
Correct is Kuybyshev.

Gedemon
Sep 04, 2011, 12:25 PM
I've checked few dictionaries and realized I gave you wrong English spell.
Correct is Kuybyshev.

Yes, thanks, I had seen it when checking on wiki, it's corrected :D

Scoles
Sep 04, 2011, 01:09 PM
Nice :D

T_KCommanderbly
Sep 04, 2011, 02:55 PM
Champ could you possibly try it on a different computer? I did notice that the lua said your turn was three times longer then the one that I had. Granted that wasn't during combat.

Gedemon
Sep 04, 2011, 03:06 PM
The AI has still problems with attacking Cities/Units from the sea or across the river. But thereīs probably not much you can do about that right ? (maybe only allowing those attacks with the amphibious promotion?)

I have something. But it's a bit hacky, and I'm not sure if I will release next version with the function to prevent suicidal attacks activated or deactivated...

I've experimented game hanging between turn during tests, I can save/reload to unhang the AI and continue the game, but it may need some more testing before release.

On the other hand, the feedback here is really helping to improve the mod, so I don't know :D

The function check if a unit about to attack another is going for a suicide run, and as at the time the check is made I can't stop it before the real attack occur, I simply kill it and respawn a new unit with the exact same values at the same plot but with 0 moves. That's radical, the attack does not occur.

So, ON or OFF at release (it will be activable with a simple file edit) ?

marceljv
Sep 04, 2011, 04:53 PM
So, ON or OFF at release (it will be activable with a simple file edit) ?

OFF by default please. With instructions on how to turn it on so we can test it. For those who do not want to test it, can then still play without having to do anything.

BUG: When Paris is taken by Germany and there is Italian control of french hexes the one's that should become German are instead becoming Vichy. This has happened twice now. I think what ever hexes are supposed to be German should just be made German weather Italian or English.

Playing on Deity, the German AI has a tough time with France (mostly due to only attacking Paris across the river and due to all the Gold France has to buy defensive buildings and units. I find as Italy it is both fun and required that I help in the French campaign. Thankfully France is helpful in this by usually declaring war on me.

Still loving the game. Not sure though that I want to see tank destroyer units, instead of unit buffs. I think Anti-Air units are needed so cities last longer.

Gedemon
Sep 04, 2011, 05:08 PM
OFF by default please. With instructions on how to turn it on so we can test it. For those who do not want to test it, can then still play without having to do anything.

BUG: When Paris is taken by Germany and there is Italian control of french hexes the one's that should become German are instead becoming Vichy. This has happened twice now. I think what ever hexes are supposed to be German should just be made German weather Italian or English.

Playing on Deity, the German AI has a tough time with France (mostly due to only attacking Paris across the river and due to all the Gold France has to buy defensive buildings and units. I find as Italy it is both fun and required that I help in the French campaign. Thankfully France is helpful in this by usually declaring war on me.

Still loving the game. Not sure though that I want to see tank destroyer units, instead of unit buffs. I think Anti-Air units are needed so cities last longer.
thanx for the report :)

do you have a savegame from just before the tile flipping bug perchance ?

I've changed the Seine to flow south of Paris in v.10, we'll see if it helps Germany...

Can you develop about the tank destroyers ?

And for the air defense, fighters in v.10 are much better. Not by their statistics (except they got one more attack per turn), but by the way the AI use them. :D

marceljv
Sep 04, 2011, 07:30 PM
thanx for the report :)

do you have a savegame from just before the tile flipping bug perchance ?

I've changed the Seine to flow south of Paris in v.10, we'll see if it helps Germany...

Can you develop about the tank destroyers ?

And for the air defense, fighters in v.10 are much better. Not by their statistics (except they got one more attack per turn), but by the way the AI use them. :D

No I not have a save before the tile flip, I am sure to do it again when v10 comes out as I will again play Italy (just to much fun!!).

Great on the change on the river, hope it helps.

As for the Tank Destroyer. Historically they operated at battalion level and maybe regimental level. Usually they were attached to divisions as corps reserves. So after you do the project for Tank destroyers you would have available to some units, Light tanks, med tanks and motor/mech infantry a buff that maybe gives +15% vs tanks, you could do the same with anti-tank guns for infantry. Each level after that can give +10% vs tank for up to 3 levels total, so max +35% vs tanks.

This will keep older (light and early medium tank) units still useful as they will have some ability to stand up to med and heavy tanks. You can make them available to Heavy tanks as well, making those heavy tanks ultra tank killers.

You can do this with all sorts of units, I just do not like so many special units that really were not Division level units. Also the AI has trouble using units that are special types. The AI would do better with a limited set of units that can cover most activities. Even then the AI has trouble with the idea that tanks are not city takers, well medium and heavy tanks anyway.

I also find artillery to be next to useless for me. I move at a quick pace and of course I use airplanes for my artillery and use infantry and armour as need to quickly eliminate my opposition. Hmm, sounds like a certain General who suggested the same thing. I do think Artillery is more useful on defense keeping it in the city to range fire on the enemy, but just to easy for tanks to kill. Having said that the dynamic of Artillery vs tanks vs Infantry would be better if artillery got a bonus shooting at Infantry, but at is they are not good at killing anything and good at getting killed.

I look at units like rock, paper, scissors game. If a unit exists it should serve a purpose and be the best at that. Consider the Navy, we have 3 units the aptly do naval operations justice. Destroyers are fast and kill subs. Subs are medium speed and kill Battleships and sea transported units. Battleships kill Destroyers, and do good at killing sea transports, but are slow. So each has a role to play.

So when we look at ground units they need to do the same thing. Infantry gets a bonus vs cities, while all other units get a penalty (Great I love it). Tanks get bonus vs Artillery and tend to be stronger vs Infantry in open terrain (Again great). Light tanks are bad against tanks, but do well against Artillery and infantry and Ok vs city. Medium tanks are good vs units in the open (Artillery and Infantry) but not good vs cities. Heavy tanks are great vs Artillery/Tanks and Infantry in open, but really bad vs city and are slow. All great.

Artillery is good at nothing but shooting over things and for this they have to setup to shoot. Bombers do this better. Would be better if they did not have to setup. They have no combat bonus vs anything, which leaves me wondering why I build them.

So when I look at the list of units you want to introduce some of them look like units we already have, eg tank destroyers (just tanks with bonus vs tanks, so faster heavy tanks).

So I come around to looking at fighters/interceptors and we have 1 fighter type, but you can make it 1 of 3 special types. If you add on the interceptor buff it is a interceptor type. If you add sweep buff it is a fighter. Add on tank killer buff and it is a ground attack fighter, all valid types for WWII. As you tech up you change the starting combat value of the type, but the player decides with buffs what sub type that fighter is. The same, to a degree with bombers, you decide via buffs what the bomber is good at, so if you add a new type of bomber it should start with a bonus in one direction (eg stuka gets bonus vs ground units/tanks). Medium bombers maybe get no bonus, but extra range and Heavy bombers get range and city bombing bonus but big penalty to all other attack types.

Personally I like the idea of buffs defining the sub unit of a type then having more actual unit types one can build. I also realize most people like seeing extra unit types on the game board and not as a buff and I can understand the desire to put out the cool units.

I do like the French Foreign Legion as a sub type as it is good in enemy territory but does not take ground, so it has a penalty as well. If you introduce a unit it needs to be special from any other type. Having said that I would never build a Foreign Legion as it can not take ground.

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

champ123
Sep 04, 2011, 07:50 PM
Champ could you possibly try it on a different computer? I did notice that the lua said your turn was three times longer then the one that I had. Granted that wasn't during combat.

I wish i could do that but i donīt know anybody with another computer. And if iīm true i donīt know what it would change. You guys have different computers and you are able to play the game. What do you mean with three times longer? Sorry but my english is not that good.

Thank you very much that you are trying to help me!!! :)

gosu
Sep 05, 2011, 03:07 AM
The suicide-prevent-hack should probably be off on default like marcel said.

Some more things that I noticed while playing as Italy:

- The river at copenhagen gives germany as much a hard time like the seine river in Paris, maybe remove that one too.

- The city states Romania and Bulgaria declared war on the Axis for being too agressive to city states. For realism reasons I would put them in an alliance with the Axis. Right now they are at war with Russia and the Axis at the same time (I think somebody reported that already).

- When I conquered the French colonies in Africa, the Paris fall made them go back to their city states. Is that intened to be like that ?

I'm hoping to see the new version soon, probably refreshed this forum alot the last day to check for it ;-) Did you consider adding the US east coast and Oil as a strategic resource in future versions ? Those those (US+oil) were probably two war-deciding factors (I dunno how much work it would be to integrate that tbh) :-)

Once again, thanks for the effort you put in. I am really enjoying the game.

marceljv
Sep 05, 2011, 07:03 AM
Took me forever to get Germany to attack Paris and then it did it with tanks across the river, even though they had infantry without river that could have attacked.

Germany should take Paris when you end the Italian turn.

Also a screenshot of the result when Germany takes Paris.

Gwynin
Sep 05, 2011, 07:33 AM
In my current game as Germany the animations have gone a bit wonkers too, I think its an issue with the game itself cos it happend during my playthrough and I didnt have it happen in my earlier games..

Varayan
Sep 05, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hello,

I have downloaded the two zip files, sent them to my MODS directory and used 7zip to "extract here" which makes new folders of the same name in the MODS dir. When I boot civ5, I see the mods, enable both, start a new custom game and choose a leader. Then, during the loading screen (listening to the German speech, for instance) everything looks good until the screen goes black, the cursor changes from the loading-spinning-globe into the regular cursor, then I get the WinXP "Civ5 has encountered and error" thing and I have to shut down.

89 files 13.8MB in MODS/r_e_d__wwii_edition__v_9
1777 files 182 MB in MODS/R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1)

I read through the forums and did not find this particular issue, but I apologize if I missed it. Any help would be appreciated--I just heard about this mod recently and have not tried any of the previous versions.

Looks very promising and I'm hoping I can get it to work!

Thank you.

marceljv
Sep 05, 2011, 08:54 AM
Hello,

I have downloaded the two zip files, sent them to my MODS directory and used 7zip to "extract here" which makes new folders of the same name in the MODS dir. When I boot civ5, I see the mods, enable both, start a new custom game and choose a leader. Then, during the loading screen (listening to the German speech, for instance) everything looks good until the screen goes black, the cursor changes from the loading-spinning-globe into the regular cursor, then I get the WinXP "Civ5 has encountered and error" thing and I have to shut down.

89 files 13.8MB in MODS/r_e_d__wwii_edition__v_9
1777 files 182 MB in MODS/R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v 1)

I read through the forums and did not find this particular issue, but I apologize if I missed it. Any help would be appreciated--I just heard about this mod recently and have not tried any of the previous versions.

Looks very promising and I'm hoping I can get it to work!

Thank you.

In the mods area make sure the only two mods active (green circle) are the two for RED WWII, otherwise you get issues.

MatheosPL
Sep 05, 2011, 12:07 PM
Do you work to adapt the mod to the new version of Civilization? I have Civ from Steam so I cannot install this... What a pity...

marceljv
Sep 05, 2011, 01:37 PM
Do you work to adapt the mod to the new version of Civilization? I have Civ from Steam so I cannot install this... What a pity...

You must be running the latest patch of Civilization V for this mod to work.

Varayan
Sep 05, 2011, 01:45 PM
In the mods area make sure the only two mods active (green circle) are the two for RED WWII, otherwise you get issues.

Thanks for your reply. I have no other mods installed except the Genghis Khan one and it was disabled (i.e. no green checkmark) the whole time. I only have the two RED mods checked off.

Asmir1984
Sep 05, 2011, 02:22 PM
I have instal it but when i start scenario; cannot build buildings. And city also doesnt have any building, my civ V is updated to 1.0.1.348

marceljv
Sep 05, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have instal it but when i start scenario; cannot build buildings. And city also doesnt have any building, my civ V is updated to 1.0.1.348

SO from the start screen make sure to click on MODS then browse mods and make sure that the only two mods with a green check are the two RED mods.

If you have done that it should work.

marceljv
Sep 05, 2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks for your reply. I have no other mods installed except the Genghis Khan one and it was disabled (i.e. no green checkmark) the whole time. I only have the two RED mods checked off.

Well I would suggest you make sure your video drivers are up to date, getting either the latest Nvidia or ATI/AMD drivers depending on what video card you have.

I assume a normal single or multiplayer game works?

Do any other mods work?

Aleenik
Sep 05, 2011, 02:50 PM
I can't wait to try this mod out.:) Once version .10 is released, I'll try it and provide feedback.

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 02:56 PM
v.10 is near release.

It will require an update of the data files mod, so here's the download link (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ljz274fjx1fhcv8/R.E.D.%20WWII%20Data%20Files%20%28v%202%29.civ5mod ) (mediafire) for that part if you want to be ready at the core mod release.

edit : and I'll answer some of the previous interesting posts after release ;)

Gwynin
Sep 05, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cheers for the 'preload' option, cant wait for the next version :)

gosu
Sep 05, 2011, 03:55 PM
cheers for the 'preload' option, cant wait for the next version :)

#2 :-)

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 04:10 PM
And here it is, V.10 is available !

Remember that you'll need to update the data mod too before being able to use v.10

R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v.2) (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ljz274fjx1fhcv8/R.E.D.%20WWII%20Data%20Files%20%28v%202%29.civ5mod )
R.E.D. WWII Edition (v.10) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17470&act=down)

Change Log :

v.10 (Sept 05, 2011):

- Feature : AI override function to force fighters on interception if it's needed and rebase them near bombed targets if necessary
- Feature : AI hack to prevent suicide attacks. This is done by deleting and respawning the suicide unit just before it can attack, giving a visual issue: the damage are reseted to current level, showing a red number (MaxHitPoints-ActualDamage), same for XP. But the respawned unit has exactly the same attributes as before the aborted attack.
- Feature : custom victory screens, to win the game you'll have to capture not only the capital, but 3 more key cities of your opponents. Here's the list of key cities:
- England : London, Liverpool, Edinbugh, Newcaste
- France : Paris, Caen, Dunkerque, Bordeaux
- Germany : Berlin, Kiel, Bremen, Frankfurt
- Italy : Rome, Naple, Milan, Bologna
- USSR : Moscow, Kiev, Stalingrad, Leningrad
- Bugfix : don't send reinforcements to embarked units.
- Bugfix : some events didn't happened at the correct date, the code was badly interpreting the calendar.
- Feature : give XP to aircraft making interceptions.
- Feature : after "Fall Of France" event, the french player can try to convert back it's colonies (by capturing the colony capital) or it's units. (by attacking them and dealing less damage than received or by attacking units with low health to force surrender)
- Balance : reduced projects cost.
- Balance : allow supply line to start from cities of friendly minor civilizations
- Balance : slow down XP progression
- Balance : no XP from bombarding cities with land or naval units
- Balance : fighters can intercept 2 air attacks each turn
- Balance : raise city defense bonus for garisonned units
- Tweak map : names corrections, rivers placement, change NE plot of Nice from mountain to hill.
- Added : new scenario "Earth 1942" by T_KCommanderbly (beta version) with playable USA, Japan, China and with new units.
- Added : 4th batch of units from danrell's WW2 packs
- Heavy Bombers : Tupolev TB-3, He-177, HP Halifax, Petlyakov Pe-8
- Fast Bombers : De Havilland Mosquito, Tupolev Tu-2, SM.79 Sparviero
- Destroyers : Fantasque, Type 1934A, Triba, Gnevny, Soldati
- Cruisers : La Galissoniere, Leipzig, Dido, Kirov
- Heavy/Battle Cruisers : Deutschland, Zara
- Battleships : Sovetsky Soyuz, King George V
- Dreadnought : Queen Elizabeth, Gangut, Conte Di Cavour
- Old Tanks : AMC-35, Char D1, Char D2, M3 Grant, T-28, M11-39
- Light Tanks : Renault R-40, Panzer II Ausf L

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 04:16 PM
One of the big feature is the addition of T_KCommanderbly Earth 1942 scenario, I believe he will make a separate thread to describe and get feedback on it.

Another feature is off by default, as discuted before : the suicide attack prevention function is suspected to cause hanging during AI turn.

You can activate it for test purpose by editing one of those 2 files : Defines1942.lua for the Earth 1942 scenario, and DefinesEuro1940.lua for the Europe 1939-1945 scenario

Find this code block :

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- AI Rules
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALLOW_AI_CONTROL = true -- Allow the use of functions to (try to) control the AI units and build list
TRACK_COMBATS_MAX_TURNS = 2 -- Number of previous turns entries keeped in the TrackCombat table
INTERCEPTOR_RATIO_NEEDED = 2 --If NumAirAttacks / NumInterceptor > Ratio then we need another interceptor
-- Suicide Attacks Prevention
NO_SUICIDE_ATTACK = false -- If set to true, try to prevent suicide attacks
SUICIDE_DAMAGE_TRESHOLD = 8 -- Above this level of damage let's call it a tentative of suicide, but check the below value too
SUICIDE_DIFF_DAMAGE_TRESHOLD = 5 -- Above this difference between damage dealed and damage received, consider that the attack is a large defeat
SUICIDE_HP_RATIO = 5 -- Under this ratio between HP left and damage received, call it suicidal

and change "NO_SUICIDE_ATTACK = false" to "NO_SUICIDE_ATTACK = true"

If the game hangs during AI turn, you'll be able to save at this moment and reloading this save will free the AI from whatever it was looping infinitely on :D

Gwynin
Sep 05, 2011, 04:22 PM
In regards to Germany, is the Panzer IV still the highest tier tank currently in the current mod version ?

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 04:29 PM
In regards to Germany, is the Panzer IV still the highest tier tank currently in the current mod version ?

Yes, I will not release Tiger or Panther without saying it :)

T-34 will rule the battlefield a bit longer...

Gwynin
Sep 05, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the info, looking forward to more panzers ;)

By the way Gedemon, on what difficulty level does the mod work the best?

Im far from a being a Civ5 'god' so Im currently only playing on prince level, so was wondering if that might screw things up a bit?

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 05:07 PM
I've set default to deity to compensate the AI weakness, I suggest to play above Prince, maybe King for new players, but the difficulty is linked to your choice of civs.

I haven't played enough game to really sort them out (and the balance change with each new version), but I think France is the maybe the most difficult to play and Germany the easier.

NCC1017spock
Sep 05, 2011, 05:25 PM
This mod looks great, but when I load it, I get loads of text wont load errors- then when I hit lunch I get "dat files not loaded" and nothing happens, and alot of the pictures are red boxes and stuff? what has happened?

Aleenik
Sep 05, 2011, 05:28 PM
This mod looks great, but when I load it, I get loads of text wont load errors- then when I hit lunch I get "dat files not loaded" and nothing happens, and alot of the pictures are red boxes and stuff? what has happened?I'm sort of getting the same thing. When in game at the mods section the extraction gets to like 1,800 something then it freezes up. When I try to play the game I get lots of errors and such. So, I tried deleting my cache and the files and reinstalling them. Again though the extraction got stuck at luck 1,800 then froze up.

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 05:29 PM
Have you installed and activated the data mod ?

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 05:31 PM
try to extract the mods file using 7zip.

note to myself : I will not use the civ5mod format for next versions, until the extracting problem is fixed.

T_KCommanderbly
Sep 05, 2011, 05:35 PM
1942 thread is up in the scenario section :)

NCC1017spock
Sep 05, 2011, 05:41 PM
try to extract the mods file using 7zip.

note to myself : I will not use the civ5mod format for next versions, until the extracting problem is fixed.

idk what to do, this is my first civ 5 mod, i guess u cant do this like civ 4? Whats a data mod?

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 05:51 PM
1942 thread is up in the scenario section :)
Nice, go and test it people, large scale battles :)

idk what to do, this is my first civ 5 mod, i guess u cant do this like civ 4? Whats a data mod?

See first post, you need to download 2 files and extract them using 7zip or another archive manager in your mod folder. Both files are absolutely needed.

The reason for 2 files is that it's really easier for me to upload a small file at each update, and change the big file only when needed to add big data files (artwork, sound, ...), so it allows much more updates available, for example if annoying bugs are found in v.10, a quick fix could be made by re-uploading only the small mod.

NCC1017spock
Sep 05, 2011, 05:52 PM
Nice, go and test it people, large scale battles :)

See first post, you need to download 2 files and extract them using 7zip or another archive manager in your mod folder. Both files are absolutely needed.

The reason for 2 files is that it's really easier for me to upload a small file at each update, and change the big file only when needed to add big data files (artwork, sound, ...), so it allows much more updates available, for example if annoying bugs are found in v.10, a quick fix could be made by re-uploading only the small mod.

I could only find one file, where is the second one?

Gedemon
Sep 05, 2011, 05:53 PM
R.E.D. WWII Data Files (v.2) (http://www.mediafire.com/file/ljz274fjx1fhcv8/R.E.D.%20WWII%20Data%20Files%20%28v%202%29.civ5mod )
R.E.D. WWII Edition (v.10) (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17470&act=down)

Aleenik
Sep 05, 2011, 06:23 PM
Have you installed and activated the data mod ?I have it in the folder, but when I try to install the mods (Like where you click that button in game and it starts to extract or whatever) I get the issue of it not finishing and freezing up.

As for extracting the files in the mods folder, I have em both in there, but only one of em needed extracting. The data file one doesn't seem to be extractable. Is that right?

EDIT: I tried again and had the same problem. I see the one file in the mod list, but not the data files thing. It needs to do that install in game is why. But it freezes up Civ 5 when it hits 1,852 files extracted.

NCC1017spock
Sep 05, 2011, 06:31 PM

I still cant play this, and yes its "active" in the mods section

Same errors as before, what am I doing wrong here?

Morbius221
Sep 05, 2011, 06:43 PM
Hi Gedemon. Vr10 Data 2. As Germany, game crashes as soon as I take over Warsaw. Had same issue with Vr9 taking paris. Can this bug be related by the fact that I attack Poland first turn without waiting for time line to put me in war?

NCC1017spock
Sep 05, 2011, 06:47 PM
I cant even get to the first turn!

Delm
Sep 05, 2011, 06:57 PM
I'm sort of getting the same thing. When in game at the mods section the extraction gets to like 1,800 something then it freezes up. When I try to play the game I get lots of errors and such. So, I tried deleting my cache and the files and reinstalling them. Again though the extraction got stuck at luck 1,800 then froze up.

I had the same problem...

Put the 2 xxx.civ5mod files in your "my documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civ 5/MODS" folder.

Then extract the xxx.civ5mod files with winrar (just google and download it if you don't have it) instead of using the ingame installer.

Now go to the mod screen again, don't click the install button if its there just activate the 2 named "RED" something... now have fun playing the best civ 5 mod :D

marceljv
Sep 05, 2011, 07:12 PM
I have it in the folder, but when I try to install the mods (Like where you click that button in game and it starts to extract or whatever) I get the issue of it not finishing and freezing up.

As for extracting the files in the mods folder, I have em both in there, but only one of em needed extracting. The data file one doesn't seem to be extractable. Is that right?

EDIT: I tried again and had the same problem. I see the one file in the mod list, but not the data files thing. It needs to do that install in game is why. But it freezes up Civ 5 when it hits 1,852 files extracted.

After download change the file name. Where it currently says Civ5mod, replace that with either zip, 7zp or rar depending on what flavor of compression tool you have.
I use winrar, so I have the option to right click the file (after making the change above) and then telling it to unzip/unrar/un7zp it to a folder of the same name as the file.
I founding using the install mod feature of CivV would not handle the large data mod, so manual unzip is required. The civ5mod file is just a zipped/rared/zip7ed file so changing the extension will do no harm.

Make sure you extract all the file in the proper mods folder, otherwise when you start Civ the mod will not be there.

Let me know if you need pictures of the steps and more details.

Aleenik
Sep 05, 2011, 09:06 PM
I had the same problem...

Put the 2 xxx.civ5mod files in your "my documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civ 5/MODS" folder.

Then extract the xxx.civ5mod files with winrar (just google and download it if you don't have it) instead of using the ingame installer.

Now go to the mod screen again, don't click the install button if its there just activate the 2 named "RED" something... now have fun playing the best civ 5 mod :D

After download change the file name. Where it currently says Civ5mod, replace that with either zip, 7zp or rar depending on what flavor of compression tool you have.
I use winrar, so I have the option to right click the file (after making the change above) and then telling it to unzip/unrar/un7zp it to a folder of the same name as the file.
I founding using the install mod feature of CivV would not handle the large data mod, so manual unzip is required. The civ5mod file is just a zipped/rared/zip7ed file so changing the extension will do no harm.

Make sure you extract all the file in the proper mods folder, otherwise when you start Civ the mod will not be there.

Let me know if you need pictures of the steps and more details.Thanks for the replies guys.:)

Changing the data file to a rar file then extracting it worked.:) I wonder why it didn't automatically become a rar file though. It started out as a file that didn't look like it had to be extracted and in fact I saw no options for extraction until I changed it.

ACM
Sep 05, 2011, 09:09 PM
Hi Gedemon. Vr10 Data 2. As Germany, game crashes as soon as I take over Warsaw. Had same issue with Vr9 taking paris. Can this bug be related by the fact that I attack Poland first turn without waiting for time line to put me in war?

I'm facing a similar issue. I'm attacking Warsaw, but haven't captured it yet. When I end my turn, all leaders contact me and game crashes soon after.

I will turn on logging and see what the error is.

QwertyMan213
Sep 06, 2011, 02:26 AM
awesome mod gedemon!! the v.10 version is much more improved than v.8 but there is alot of things missing and i know the mod is far from done but i want to put my ideas out there, and if they had been repeated before..MY BAD..
1. you should include artillery in the first stages of the war, also include the mobile artillery, their bonuses should be effective in open field/forest and not cities.
2. put anti tank guns/ and mobile tank destroyers in the game, they should have bonuses against tanks and be weak against infantry
3.assault guns should be included in the mod, they could be effective against cities and fortified positions, like the bison and the bummbard.weak against tanks and infantry.
4. AA guns would be nice as well as mobile so they can keep up with the tanks. also AA guns should be effective against infantry. this include light tanks as well since the light tanks were created to support the infantry not the other way around.
5.paratroopers and special forces nuff said...but i notice there some foreign legion not taken territory, so there meant for sabotage and disruption, like destroying a tile but in this version they don't do ..
6. need engineers so they can repair tiles and built forts.
7. you should include a system where multiple units can be in one tile, that could help with the congestion and traffic in the map, lastly wheres that magino line(sorry for the spelling) it was very important during the battle of France..
thanks for your time and hopefully you can take some of the ideas, and again I'm sorry if i repeated some of the ideas already..

gosu
Sep 06, 2011, 03:49 AM
Oh finally the new version \o/

I gave it a try as germany(on deity) and what I first notice is that you might have made the german navy too strong compared to the british one. I had no problem controlling the channel and surrounding London with my troops. Then there was some bug with attacking the city though (probably something with supply lines cut, but I don't seem them cut?).

I made a screenshot of the situation:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/londont.jpg/

Arexander
Sep 06, 2011, 04:38 AM

I gave it a try as germany(on deity) and what I first notice is that you might have made the german navy too strong compared to the british one. I had no problem controlling the channel and surrounding London with my troops. Then there was some bug with attacking the city though (probably something with supply lines cut, but I don't seem them cut?).

Actually, the suply lines are cut. You can see the red triangle over your units beside the promotion markers which means that their supply lines are cut and they receive combat penalties. Why it doesn't show up in the estimation of the battle, I don't know.

marceljv
Sep 06, 2011, 10:50 AM
I can confirm game crashes to desktop (CTD) when warsaw is captured. Looks like the land get partitioned correctly but then the game crashes right after the UI is updated with the new city owners and territory changes.

No problems with capture of Paris, which the AI, Germany, managed by June 1940 on Deity. I did help again (as Italy) and some territory that should have gone to Germany went to Vichy instead.

Seems fast bombers are the way to go now, given the only penalty is vs subs and everything else is a bonus, even avoiding interception. The 2 less range then medium bombers is no big deal. Maybe remove the bonus vs City for those fast bombers and put it on the Medium (slow) bombers instead.

The AI never uses the air sweep mission, so as a result bombers are now getting cut up by interception. The improved interception is welcome, but we might need to find away for the AI to clear interceptors with air sweeps. Given each fighter can only do one air sweep vs two interceptions, it will take a bigger air force to remove enough interceptors to prevent bomber interception.

marceljv
Sep 06, 2011, 10:56 AM
Naval combat is improved with the smaller cruiser units and varied abilities of them. Although I could sink some French destroyers and a cruiser, my fleet took a pounding and some of my ships ended up in port for 6+ months and were still not totally repaired. Very realistic this long repair process.

At first I did not like no experience from bombing cities with naval units, but at this point I would say it is a welcome change, otherwise you will have buffed ships in no time as you got more experience for every city hit then for hitting ships or land units.

marceljv
Sep 06, 2011, 01:03 PM
Ok I reloaded a auto save with the intention to figure out the Warsaw crash. Instead Warsaw fell before Paris and no crash, so I really have no idea why it would have crashed.

NCC1017spock
Sep 06, 2011, 02:43 PM
Can anyone help me with my problem please? :confused:

Aleenik
Sep 06, 2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for making this Gedemon! I love it! It's now my favorite Civ 5 mod.:)

I played as France on deity and lost Paris in April, 1940. I noticed the Fall of France event makes you lose all of your units though, except for those inside the French city in North Africa and the French city in Syria. I also lost all my navy except 1 submarine. The submarine couldn't move or do anything though and I think that is what caused the game to basically freeze up. The turn couldn't end because of it. I could still move the camera around, exit the game and all though. I'll reload an autosave, which unfortunately is 8 turns back and those 8 turns took a while. What I plan to do this time though is before Paris falls I'll delete all my units except those in the French cities I listed so that way Vichy France won't get all my stuff. Also, I took all but one city in Libya as France before Paris fell and lost all those. I'm sure that's intentional though.

Is there any way though to prevent loosing all my units and navy or should I just delete them all before Paris falls (Except for those in the 2 French cities I listed)?

Here are the issues I have.

-No workers and not many improvements already made. I know this might be intentional, but I still think it should be changed. Not being able to build railroads/upgrade roads to railroad and not being able to make your cities better by making improvements really hurts.

-Large and/or important nations being minor nations. The minor nations don't seem to act nearly as smart as the regular nations and having nations like Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, etc as minor nations just doesn't feel right to me.

-I noticed city growth is impossible, so I ended up changing all my cities to production focus and that helped out a bit. I recommend making all cities in the game automatically production focused.

-Germany seemed to be beating the British navy. The combination of the German air force and navy was pretty overwhelming.

-Britain didn't land any units to help me defend France. I know it's just the Civ 5 AI being dumb, but it would be nice if they could help some.

-The civs ask me to declare war before the wars historically start. I know I can just say no, but just something to note. For example a few turns before I had to enter war with Germany, the UK asked me to go to war with Germany. I declined because I figured I should let it happen at the historical time and also because I was still moving my units around. Later in 1939 though, the UK asked me to go to war with Italy. I accepted not knowing then that that wasn't the historical time Italy entered the war. So I guess I should have just told the UK no and waited for Italy to enter the war in June 1940. Italy caused some major problems for me in mainland France and even took control of Nice.

-Some other weird diplomatic things, like the USSR denouncing me. I'm not sure if my denouncing Italy (I denounce Germany automatically soon before I enter war with em) would affect anything, but I did it anyways.:)

-When Vichy France was created Italy still controlled Nice which they took from me in war. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

Gedemon
Sep 06, 2011, 02:49 PM
You can do this with all sorts of units, I just do not like so many special units that really were not Division level units. Also the AI has trouble using units that are special types. The AI would do better with a limited set of units that can cover most activities. Even then the AI has trouble with the idea that tanks are not city takers, well medium and heavy tanks anyway.You're right about the AI, I hope we can do something about that, we'll see.

About the scale, you're also right, but on this map size we should have armies composed of multiple units/tiles, not divisions anyway. I would love that, but it's not doable. Not with my spare time I mean.

I also find artillery to be next to useless for me. I move at a quick pace and of course I use airplanes for my artillery and use infantry and armour as need to quickly eliminate my opposition. Hmm, sounds like a certain General who suggested the same thing. I do think Artillery is more useful on defense keeping it in the city to range fire on the enemy, but just to easy for tanks to kill. Having said that the dynamic of Artillery vs tanks vs Infantry would be better if artillery got a bonus shooting at Infantry, but at is they are not good at killing anything and good at getting killed.
I can't remember how it was in v.9, but in V.10 arty should have +50% against cities and +15 or 25 against infantry, don't remember exactly, should improve it use a bit (more on that later)

I look at units like rock, paper, scissors game. If a unit exists it should serve a purpose and be the best at that.
Totally agree, that's what I'm trying to do. And the more units added, the bigger the difficulty to keep things balanced and fun to play (and understandable for the AI).

So it's another point for you, but you already know that I will try it anyway, don't you ? :D

Artillery is good at nothing but shooting over things and for this they have to setup to shoot. Bombers do this better.
So, with the fighters improved, does the arty become more interesting ?

So when I look at the list of units you want to introduce some of them look like units we already have, eg tank destroyers (just tanks with bonus vs tanks, so faster heavy tanks).
I want Tank Destroyer to be globally good against tanks, but even better when defending. And globally medium/weak on attack. I want the player to use infantry/attack aircraft to take out those.

Personally I like the idea of buffs defining the sub unit of a type then having more actual unit types one can build. I also realize most people like seeing extra unit types on the game board and not as a buff and I can understand the desire to put out the cool units.
I understand the buff thing, and it can be great with unit changing models on promotion type, but I prefer to have the palyer to plan before building the unit, not after. And yes, I'm still like a little boy looking at the christmas tree when I see the list of units made by danrell, I confess :blush:

I do like the French Foreign Legion as a sub type as it is good in enemy territory but does not take ground, so it has a penalty as well. If you introduce a unit it needs to be special from any other type. Having said that I would never build a Foreign Legion as it can not take ground.Wait for the special forces special promotions, maybe then you''l want to make a few...

Hope this gives you some food for thought.
I does, thanks !

- The city states Romania and Bulgaria declared war on the Axis for being too agressive to city states. For realism reasons I would put them in an alliance with the Axis. Right now they are at war with Russia and the Axis at the same time (I think somebody reported that already).
Yep, it's in the todo (I prefer to make it so they didn't declare wars on warmonger civs than having them as axis power from the start.)

- When I conquered the French colonies in Africa, the Paris fall made them go back to their city states. Is that intened to be like that ?
Yes, I plan to allow the player to chose between accepting the capitulation conditions and continue war.

But not that on France Capitulation, Axis power became friends with France and all it's colony, wich should give a boost on reinforcements production. I may have to balance things on that part (right now occupied cities have a penalty of 50% on reinforcement production until a Courthouse is build, and colonies give you 25% of their global reinforcement production).

I'll have to play with numbers here.

Did you consider adding the US east coast and Oil as a strategic resource in future versions ? Those those (US+oil) were probably two war-deciding factors (I dunno how much work it would be to integrate that tbh) :-)
No east cost, but US units are planned, yes. Under player control or with an US AI, we'll see.

And Oil is also planned. Just don't ask when please, 'cause I have absolutly no idea, there's a lot to do.

Germany should take Paris when you end the Italian turn.

Also a screenshot of the result when Germany takes Paris.
Yes, thanx to your save, I think I've an idea of the issue, a fix is planned.

Tried this save, and I can't reproduce the crash as with the other saves before a "fall of..." event. I fear this will be difficult to solve, I may add an option menu at setup screen so you can chose to use those events or not.

awesome mod gedemon!! the v.10 version is much more improved than v.8 but there is alot of things missing and i know the mod is far from done but i want to put my ideas out there, and if they had been repeated before..MY BAD.. don't be sorry, but the spreadsheets with units stat in first post should give you an idea of what's planned ;)

1. you should include artillery in the first stages of the war, also include the mobile artillery, their bonuses should be effective in open field/forest and not cities.Mobile arty won't have to set up before firing, but with a reduced range (ie : 1 tile), they'll have to shoot and go.

2. put anti tank guns/ and mobile tank destroyers in the game, they should have bonuses against tanks and be weak against infantry no anti-tanks guns planned, but tank destroyer yes. and weak against infantry (at least the first models), yes again

3.assault guns should be included in the mod, they could be effective against cities and fortified positions, like the bison and the bummbard.weak against tanks and infantry.early models will be like that, later will be good vs tanks (the Soviet models were often used as assault gun or tank destroyer) but still (relatively) weak against infantries.

4. AA guns would be nice as well as mobile so they can keep up with the tanks. also AA guns should be effective against infantry. this include light tanks as well since the light tanks were created to support the infantry not the other way around.Not planned as a separated unit, but I may include AA guns in Artillery divisions.

5.paratroopers and special forces nuff said...but i notice there some foreign legion not taken territory, so there meant for sabotage and disruption, like destroying a tile but in this version they don't do .. No, but they will, sabotage, disruption, yes, and not (or not only) of tiles...

6. need engineers so they can repair tiles and built forts. Not planned. If I there's the possibility of destroying improvement, I'll add an auto-rebuild feature after some turns for the improvement.

7. you should include a system where multiple units can be in one tile, that could help with the congestion and traffic in the map,Not planned, would love to do armies composed of multiple units mergeable/splittable thus.

lastly wheres that magino line(sorry for the spelling) it was very important during the battle of France.
planned.

I'm facing a similar issue. I'm attacking Warsaw, but haven't captured it yet. When I end my turn, all leaders contact me and game crashes soon after.

I will turn on logging and see what the error is.

Thank you for the log, but I'm sorry to say that there's nothing that can help me to figure what's happening here

Yeah, I'll have to rebalance the fleets maybe.

About your screen, you're going to send out-of-fuel tanks to take a city passing across a river ? That's a bad idea, that 108% penalty is well earned :D

Ok it's maybe a bit too much, but here you have -50% for crossing river, -33% base penalty against city for tanks and -25% when attacking (unit or in this case city) because supply line is cut.

Seems fast bombers are the way to go now, given the only penalty is vs subs and everything else is a bonus, even avoiding interception. The 2 less range then medium bombers is no big deal. Maybe remove the bonus vs City for those fast bombers and put it on the Medium (slow) bombers instead.Right, removing city promo for fast bombers is in the todo.

The AI never uses the air sweep mission, so as a result bombers are now getting cut up by interception. The improved interception is welcome, but we might need to find away for the AI to clear interceptors with air sweeps. Given each fighter can only do one air sweep vs two interceptions, it will take a bigger air force to remove enough interceptors to prevent bomber interception.and using something like what have been done for interception is also in the todo :D

Ok I reloaded a auto save with the intention to figure out the Warsaw crash. Instead Warsaw fell before Paris and no crash, so I really have no idea why it would have crashed.
Me neither :(

Gedemon
Sep 06, 2011, 03:04 PM
Can anyone help me with my problem please? :confused:What do you have in your mod folder ?

Thanks for making this Gedemon! I love it!:)

I played as France on deity and lost Paris in April, 1940. I noticed it makes you lose all of your units though, except for those inside the French city in North Africa and the French city in Syria. I also lost all my navy except 1 submarine. The submarine couldn't move or do anything though and I think that is what caused the game to basically freeze up. The turn couldn't end because of it. I'll reload an autosave, which unfortunately is 8 turns back and those 8 turns took a while. What I plan to do this time though is before Paris falls I'll delete all my units except those in the French cities I listed so that way Vichy France won't get all my stuff. Also, I took all but one city in Libya as France before Paris fell and lost all those. I know that's intentional though.

A few other issues I have.

-No workers and not many improvements already made. I know this might be intentional, but I still think it should be changed in both maps. Not being able to build railroads/upgrade roads to railroad and not being able to make your cities better by making improvements really hurts.

-Large and/or important nations being minor nations. The minor nations don't seem to act nearly as smart as the regular nations and having nations like Canada, Australia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, etc as minor nations just doesn't feel right to me.

-I noticed city growth is impossible, so I ended up changing all my cities to production focus and that helped out a bit. I recommend making all cities in the game production focused.
Strange bug for France.

Here's what's programmed to happen when Paris is capturing : French player lose all metropole cities, almost all France units are re-located in different colonies and Vichy France (that's random, some air unit may even switch to england), the player get some random (and normally it's most experimented) air and land unit to restart, and each fleet unit chose between Free France or Vichy France. (edit : and Free France declare wars on colonies, you may have a first time surprise during reconquest...)

Please save before losing Paris if you can, and try to reproduce the bug if possible so I can test it...

The fixed improvement / cities is wanted, as for population (I may had event to change some population number during the game, but it's far from done)

Remember the war is spread on 5 years, where a normal civ game run on 6000, I don't want the player to be able to change a small city into a new prod center during those 5 years.

But there are 4-5 cities by nation that are made for producing, that you should specialize a bit, and for the other, focusing to production is probably interesting, but the personnel reinforcement process is way more powerful when used in conjunction with food focus.

Edit 2 : About "minor" nations, it's mostly an artistic problem, I'm better at coding than producing art. T_KCommanderbly has done some good art DoM for USA, Japan, China, but we still need to do diplo screen, and it take some times... I would like to keep the "spirit" of the existing art done, but if anyone want to help, please go to the development thread and don't hesitate to propose new civs... if you're ready to take some time for texts, arts, etc...

Gwynin
Sep 06, 2011, 04:18 PM
When planes do intercept jobs is the amount of xp they receive based on the damage they do (more experienced planes=more dmg=more xp), or is it a flat amount (which seems to be 1xp?)?

btw, the fix you made to intercepting is working great as far as I see it, Brittish AI is trying to eat my planes alot :D

Delm
Sep 06, 2011, 04:24 PM
Excellent work Gedemon, I don't understand how you find the time... :goodjob:

Especially love the fact that I can't just bomb my way through the game anymore due to the AI actually intercepting my bombers...

Not sure if you fixed the AI naval either or if its just the "return fire" function that is killing my fleet but its definately far more challenging than earlier versions...

The AI seem to have a major issue detecting and attacking subs though... I feel a bit abusive when I do hit and run with subs atm... other than that the game is working perfectly for me...

Just a bit slow but I can't figure out how to get my smaller european map to work so I will just have to play yours until I can figure it out :)

Aleenik
Sep 06, 2011, 09:21 PM
I uploaded a save to mediafire because it was too big to upload here on CFC. I retried playing Paris falling twice (So 3 times in total). The 2nd time I was able to continue on. The third time I had the same issue as the first time. The little bar thing saying please wait (Because units needed to be moved) but I couldn't move them. The last time I actually got to keep most of my naval units, but all times I've only ever gotten 1-2 infantry units and 1 aircraft. I did notice though that after France falls and I end up at war with my former city state allies (The French colonies)... that they gained units and it actually looked like they were my units. The ones I saw were hurt like some of my units and had promotions that some of my units had.

Before I experienced the Fall of France event for the first time I had expected to gain all my city state allies (The French colonies) as my cities, but instead I just end up at war with all of them. Do you plan to keep it like that?

EDIT: Also, I updated my earlier post with more things Gedemon.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8phsxh5hpoc3ia6

NCC1017spock
Sep 06, 2011, 09:30 PM
What do you have in your mod folder ?

I have this -

http://s3.postimage.org/22ci8k66v/Capture.jpg

Gedemon
Sep 07, 2011, 12:07 AM
I have this -

http://s3.postimage.org/22ci8k66v/Capture.jpg

you hadn't installed the second file (see my previous answer.)

Lord Cooper
Sep 07, 2011, 02:02 AM
hey everytime i try playing the game, after the first turn it says "choose production" yet i cant choose anything nor can i delete the post, so thus i cant take my "next turn" im stuck here and its pissing me off since i would really like to enjoy this mod