View Full Version : Sven's Europe

SvenJJ
Aug 17, 2011, 05:13 PM
Sven's Europe (v1.4)

Hello Everyone!

This map of Europe is my first stab at making a map for CiV. The vast amounts of land available in Russia in many European maps has always bothered me somewhat. Though geographically accurate, it never quite sat right with me from a gameplay perspective. :rolleyes:

Sven's Europe aims to cut back on this Russian bias by cutting a lot of the land west of Urals out in favour of filling out Mesopotamia, Arabia, Iran and the 'Horn of Africa'.

After a hectic last year at university and the recent release of Gods and Kings, I've decided to come back to this map and make some much needed improvements. Version 1.3 has been updated to include the Gods and Kings Civilizations and resources while v1.0 will remain compatible with the vanilla game.

The map is roughly somewhere between Large and Huge at 114x75, featuring 22 Civilizations and 22 City States.

Civilizations

England
Spain
France
Germany
Rome
Greece
Ottomans
Persia
Russia
Arabia
Babylon
Vikings
Egypt
Mongols
Austria
Dutch
Sweden
Carthage
Byzantium
Celts
Huns
Ethiopia

The Trouble with Barbarians :rolleyes:

During my first few playthroughs the African nations seemed to struggle with the large amounts of barbarians that would spawn on the continent and this is a problem that is being worked on. The current solution is to fill the vast Sahara with mountains, preventing masses of barbarians from spawning there. With the release of v1.3, the size of the Arabian desert has increased significantly so I'd appreciate feedback to see how the AI/Player copes with the inevitable increase in Barbarian activity there please.

Coming in the next release:

Balancing based on user-feedback on strategic resources, terrain and city-state/civilization placement.
Response to user-feedback regarding Barbarians.

Long term goals:

Rebalance of Resources - Less Abundant?

If the barbarians are proving troublesome then feel free to turn them off in Worldbuilder.

As this is my first attempt at a map I am very keen to hear what you guys think and I'm keen to develop it further based on your feedback. :)

Enjoy...

SvenJJ

SvenJJ
Aug 17, 2011, 05:30 PM
Screenshots

SvenJJ
Aug 22, 2011, 05:33 PM
Nearly a week without a comment. Has anyone tried this map out yet? I'm keen to hear what you guys make of it. :)

Dr.NEO
Aug 23, 2011, 06:20 AM
hey, great map of europe, i thing that this is the most ralistic map of europe i have ever play
great job :)

Montijin
Aug 23, 2011, 05:45 PM
Resources fixed set on the map or can you randomize where they spawn?

gunnergoz
Aug 24, 2011, 08:55 PM
It is a nice map and well done. It is a good example of thinking outside the box. Re-orienting the map to better fit the countries in is innovative and takes a bit to get used to but once you are playing, it does not matter much. My only complaint is that, without barbarians, there is no friction for anyone and you can build where you like. And the abundance of space seems to work against the creation of realistic borders (if that matters to you - it does to me, I try to replicate history). For instance, I was playing Egypt, trying hard to keep the Arabs, Babylonians and Persians from getting over to my side (North Africa.) Eventually, they just did an end run and sent settlers over the water of the Red Sea and built cities behind me on the upper (Southern) Nile, where they never were historically. Only a history freak like me would care but it did irritate me. Oh well, that is part of the problem with the Civ V game paradigm. The cities are more like regions or states and they do not play well on large and huge maps in my opinion. Smaller maps seem somehow more suited to the Civ V experience. But yours is a good map for warfare - I'm sure many will enjoy it, and so keep up the good work.

PS, I did edit it in WB and put some of the special sites (e.g. Fountain of Youth, El Dorado, etc) in the regions of certain City States, to encourage warfare over the more historical cities. For example, I placed one in Constantinople and another in Jerusalem, a third in Carthage. Anyone who can conquer one of those city states will reap big benefits in production and income so this may induce the AI to try to take those CS...human players will certainly want to try to take them.

SvenJJ
Aug 26, 2011, 09:45 AM
Thanks for giving the map a try guys. I'm glad you seem to be enjoying it! :)

My only complaint is that, without barbarians, there is no friction for anyone and you can build where you like. And the abundance of space seems to work against the creation of realistic borders (if that matters to you - it does to me, I try to replicate history).

I know, it's not ideal at the moment and it is something I am looking to see if there is a solution for. If you go into the worldbuilder and turn the barbarians back on, you will find that you get a more 'realistic' Europe but the Egyptians just get crippled with the hordes from the Sahara. (I guess those Berbers are just feeling particularly fiesty!) I'm trying to see if there's a way to lower the spawn rate of barbarians in desert tiles. If there is then barbarians should be back in the next version.

I'm also considering adding an extra City State or maybe two in Africa to try and calm them down a bit.

In other news I am currently making a small version of the map for those wanting a quicker game. :D

Resources fixed set on the map or can you randomize where they spawn?

The resources are set but with a quick trip into the world builder you can clear them and set them to random. Give me a shout if you're not sure how to do this. :p

ShahJahanII
Aug 28, 2011, 01:35 PM
It seems you have met my friend Eazyseeker.
If so, has he told you about our East Indies Scenario?
You will be the 4th member of our project (if you decide to join) and the 2nd map maker.
Your map didn't appeal to me at first because of its "slant".
But a closer look proved it to be amazing.
If you could apply the same method to a map of the East Indies, you will make a great team member.
A bit about us,
I, ShahJahanII am an American, and came up with the idea which was inspired by my fascination with Asian history.
Lenin1978, a Canadian, later joined as a map maker
Eazyseeker is from somewhere in Europe and has been the only real modder in the project
I need our map to be standard size and be accurate, with rivers, rescources, and physical features.
Gameplay is equally important.
The starting locations of many civs are shown in the main thread, so take a look at them and tell us what you think.

bwoww78
Aug 29, 2011, 08:32 AM
I know, it's not ideal at the moment and it is something I am looking to see if there is a solution for. If you go into the worldbuilder and turn the barbarians back on, you will find that you get a more 'realistic' Europe but the Egyptians just get crippled with the hordes from the Sahara. (I guess those Berbers are just feeling particularly fiesty!) I'm trying to see if there's a way to lower the spawn rate of barbarians in desert tiles. If there is then barbarians should be back in the next version.

I'm also considering adding an extra City State or maybe two in Africa to try and calm them down a bit.

an alternative, in the absence of avoiding desert barbarian spawns, would be to turn off barbarians and manually place camps/barbarians in world builder. While tedious and requiring some trial & error, I'm pretty sure that no new camps would spawn, but the units would (and even if the units don't, you could stack, as appropriate, in certain regions). it's a lot more work, but once done right it could help in guiding realistic settlement.

btw that's the best part about these kinds of maps (that don't auto-place cities): there are few more satisfying civ moments than when AI settles cities at exactly the right spots (with the right names) or compete historically over the same territory. and it can change with every replay!

In other news I am currently making a small version of the map for those wanting a quicker game. :D

i don't know how small you're thinking, but Felly's 35x35 Europe is a GREAT map. if you're going for the same concept as before, my only (tiny) request is to maintain enough space for London & Paris to not "immediately" fight for the 2/3 tier tiles.

labrynianrebel
Apr 02, 2012, 01:50 PM
Sweet, I hate Russia's ridiculous land bonus in europe maps as well. And more Mesopotamia = more civilization that can fit.

Psycadelic_Magi
May 02, 2012, 03:24 PM
I really like the map, but all the strategic resources seem to be set at 1 (Or possibly 2 for horses, I can't remember...) This makes combat a little dull... Even more so I imagine in the late game. While fighting over limited resources can be fun, something like for instance conquering a civ to get access to 1 or 2 Iron isn't very rewarding

labrynianrebel
May 20, 2012, 10:04 PM
Do you think you can expand the map east to include the rest of the Arabian Peninsula and Ethiopia? I really like this map, but I also really like Ethiopia and they're being added in Gods&Kings.

SvenJJ
Jun 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
Hey folks!

Thanks for the positive feedback and constructive criticism! Sorry I've been away so long. University and all that... :rolleyes:

As the first post says, I'm playing about with Gods and Kings now and I've already tentatively updated the map to accommodate it though I'll be uploading a far more comprehensive update soon.

Liberty87
Jun 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
This is my favorite map of Europe so far! I absolutely love it. It doesn't feel like you wasted any part of the map space and the civs are all spaced out very well. I can't wait to play on it when the comprehensive update you mentioned gets released.

nokmirt
Jun 26, 2012, 01:47 AM
I am going to try this map, to play as the Vikings. I am thinking of doing a CiV GnK story, to practice writing again. Let's see if we can't get bring those violent Norsemen back to life.

I'll be playing to the Medieval Era. All classical sea units will be changed to be able to cross oceans. This will make things interesting I think. The galleas will be left out, due to it having cannon. I wish there was a war galley replacement or something. However, most of the combat of the day was done through ramming, or lashing the ships together to make a large floating battlefield.

I'll let you know if I have any problem with worldbuilder. :)

The problem I am having is the civs are starting at random positions on the map. The Vikings spawned in the desert. You have the circles with the start positions on the map. How come the civs down start the game there? Sorry it has just been too long since I used WB.

Okay, I got the mod to start with TSL. What was happening was that I kept changing my difficulty level to emperor, which is what I play on. That can be easily changed in WB. I put the resources on random. One thing though, are the resources set to standard? There is no way to change the amount of resources placed on the map? Standard will be fine, but is there an option in Worldbuilder to change the amount of resources? In any case the map really looks great, a wonderful job there. I just need to know those few things. Thanks for any help.

SvenJJ
Jun 26, 2012, 08:18 AM
I'm not sure as to why the Civs are starting in random locations. They seem to work perfectly fine for me! :confused: You're using the Mods section and then Load Scenario in Civ right?

As far as the resources go I've placed them pseudo-accurately and tried to keep things as balanced as I can, trying to make historical city locations attractive to the AI. But this raises an interesting point, I can easily clear my resources and set it to random. I'd be interested in hearing people's preferences... (For the moment you can go into Worldbuilder...Misc... Clear Resources and then Save)

Also, a small point. Should I include those pesky Huns and if so where should I put their capital? :p

PawelS
Jun 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
I like this map, I'm happy there are no vast amounts of land in Russia and the Middle East is included. I think it's a good idea to expand the map at the right edge to include Ethiopia and the rest of Arabian Peninsula, which would allow the players to navigate between the Persian Gulf and the Red Sea.

I prefer pre-defined resources, if there are people who like random resources then you can make 2 versions of the map.

I think you should add some Coast terrain in the Mediterranean, especially between Sicily and Carthage, which would allow the Punic Wars to happen. And don't forget to put copper on Cyprus, this is where the island's name comes from :)

nokmirt
Jun 26, 2012, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure as to why the Civs are starting in random locations. They seem to work perfectly fine for me! :confused: You're using the Mods section and then Load Scenario in Civ right?

As far as the resources go I've placed them pseudo-accurately and tried to keep things as balanced as I can, trying to make historical city locations attractive to the AI. But this raises an interesting point, I can easily clear my resources and set it to random. I'd be interested in hearing people's preferences... (For the moment you can go into Worldbuilder...Misc... Clear Resources and then Save)

Also, a small point. Should I include those pesky Huns and if so where should I put their capital? :p

Thank you. I got the true start locations to work last night. What I am going to do is change the map so there is no ocean, because for the story, I am only playing to medieval times. This way I will not have to worry about changing ship units in the xml. I most likely will play the map with your resources and see what happens. The version I have created I will call Sven's Random CiV map.

If I was going to add the Huns. I would have them someplace adjacent to Austria, perhaps as far east as possible, but lower than the Mongols starting position. Of, course I can add them to my custom version of your map. Perhaps it would makes things interesting.

For my story scenario I will have three goals as the Vikings.

1. Take Norway and settle it, without losing lands in Denmark, from Germany (Saxons if I am correct).

2. Conquer the British Isles and Ireland

3. Simulate King Sigurd's journey to the Holy Land in 1107 AD, and try to take Jerusalem.

I'm not sure how many turns to give myself to do all of these. I suppose it does not matter. The point is to have fun and tell a story as I go along.

SvenJJ
Jun 26, 2012, 10:25 AM
A wee update to v1.2 to see how things go. Removed all of the random city states that were popping up, varied the strategic resource amounts and added some coast here and there to allow for Punic Wars/Viking Invasions before ocean-going vessels arrive on the scene. Oh! And the Huns are around now, so watch your backs!

Also, the barbarians have been turned back on to see how they act with an extra Civ in Africa to keep them in line... (Let's hope Dido will forgive me :p)

Oh! And good luck with the story telling Nokmirt! :D

nokmirt
Jun 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
A wee update to v1.2 to see how things go. Removed all of the random city states that were popping up, varied the strategic resource amounts and added some coast here and there to allow for Punic Wars/Viking Invasions before ocean-going vessels arrive on the scene. Oh! And the Huns are around now, so watch your backs!

Also, the barbarians have been turned back on to see how they act with an extra Civ in Africa to keep them in line... (Let's hope Dido will forgive me :p)

Oh! And good luck with the story telling Nokmirt! :D

The new changes sound quite interesting. I'll check out the new version later. And the extra civ in Africa? Ethiopia?

As far as the story telling goes. Thank you SvenJJ. Right now I am doing some research on the Viking raids and that time period in general. With the barbs back on it will be tougher to settle Norway, there does need to be some resistance however. It would be really cool if the Swedes, or other civs, settle in that direction. We'll see what happens.

I added Ethiopia to the map, and another sea route from Denmark. Ethiopia I gave copper and gems. Basically, they can take the place of Nubia. Nubia had gold and copper in ancient times, but I figured since Egypt had more gold, gems would fit nicely for resource balance, as well as trade. I am thinking of trying a practice game with Ethiopia. The rest of the map and your resources I left alone. One change that may be needed is upping some strategic resource plots. Usually 2 for a plot is nice to see at least. It could be you balanced them that way for a reason, it seems you have plenty of strategic resource tiles to fight over. I like that. :)

SvenJJ
Jun 26, 2012, 05:18 PM
And the extra civ in Africa? Ethiopia?

Nope, Carthage! When I originally turned them off, Carthage was just a city state. I'm hoping the fact they're now a Civ will help keep the Barbarians in line.

nokmirt
Jun 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
Nope, Carthage! When I originally turned them off, Carthage was just a city state. I'm hoping the fact they're now a Civ will help keep the Barbarians in line.

Ok, I see now. I know you mentioned Ethiopia for a future expanded map, that's where I mixed things up a bit. Anyway, I will try the map out.

Also, your map is missing crabs. At least, I have found none.

Cancer pagurus, commonly known as the edible crab or brown crab, is a species of crab found in the North Sea, North Atlantic Ocean and perhaps in the Mediterranean Sea. It is a robust crab of a reddish-brown colour, having an oval carapace with a characteristic "pie crust" edge and black tips to the claws. A mature adult may have a carapace width of up to 25 cm (10 in) and weigh up to 3 kg (6.6 lb). C. pagurus is a nocturnal predator, targeting a range of molluscs and crustaceans. It is the subject of the largest crab fishery in Western Europe, centred around the coasts of the British Isles, with more than 60,000 tonnes caught annually.

Now you don't need a ton of these guys, they are luxury resources. A nice balance in certain areas would be ok. They are found around Norway, the British Isles, and North African coast. Carthage would probably have some around there.They probably would be less found in other parts of the med. More of them are in the North Sea areas.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion. If you have the map balanced the way you want, then that's cool.

bwoww78
Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 PM

id definitely vote for the addition of Ethiopia (if only to assist against barbarians in Africa and definitely to add more flavor). if this means expanding the map right a few hexes (to include sea connection around the peninsula) then i'm also for that.

oh, and adding crabs would be great! I don't have WB access in the near term, but i'd definitely appreciate seeing the new G&K (and realistically/strategically places) resources!

once again, great map. Glad to see it's getting G&K support.

nokmirt
Jun 28, 2012, 04:24 PM
I agree expanding this awesome map would be great!

nokmirt
Jul 01, 2012, 03:27 PM
Here is a version of Sven's Europe map for play until 1918. All strategic resources to oil have been rebalanced. I deleted coastal Viking invasion routes. There is a longboat mod (GnK) that replaces trireme for Danes, and it crosses oceans. This map is made for the new 'End in 1918' mod for GnK. Both mods available at steam workshop. Have fun!

I would like to give full credit to Sven for this tweak of his awesome map.

Here it is...

SvenJJ
Jul 05, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hey folks!

This is just a quick update to let you know how things are going on.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who downloaded the map to play and for the feedback so far. Any issues raised (such as the lack of crabs) will be fixed in v1.3. I'm interested to know how people are finding the map with the Barbarians turned back on? Any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

On a more exciting note though, I can confirm that the map has been extended to cover the Horn of Africa and the Gulf of Aden. So not only does this mean that those pesky Persians can now launch an amphibious assault on Mecca, it also means I can add the Ethiopian Civ to help fight the Saharan Barbarian Scourge!

Watch this space... :D

nokmirt
Jul 05, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hey folks!

Watch this space... :D

Good to hear.

Fintilgin
Jul 05, 2012, 10:28 PM
Enjoying my game on this map as Carthage, but the barbarians are CRAZY. I've got enough spotters in the western Sahara to keep them from spawning, but all of Libya and western Egypt is swarming with swarms of barbarians, even into the Industrial age. I've wrote off Libya early on (went to Spain instead( set up a kill zone on the western edge of Libya, near the hills. I've been killing 1-2 Barbarian units PER TURN there for nearly the entire game. If barbarian XP wasn't capped those units would have massive XP.

AI Egypt seems to have survived, but they're pretty low on the totem pole of score. European countries seem to have done okay, mostly. Spain was pretty weak though, when I took them out around 500 A.D. Just two cities and lots of barbarian encampments floating around (~4-5?). Don't know how the far east is doing.

Definitely going to tweak the map to turn barbarians off next time I play on the map.

My only other comment is that the map seems VERY resource rich. I'm just rolling in luxuries and strategic resources, holding West Africa and Spain. Much more so then a normal game, it feels.

nokmirt
Jul 05, 2012, 11:44 PM
Enjoying my game on this map as Carthage, but the barbarians are CRAZY. I've got enough spotters in the western Sahara to keep them from spawning, but all of Libya and western Egypt is swarming with swarms of barbarians, even into the Industrial age. I've wrote off Libya early on (went to Spain instead( set up a kill zone on the western edge of Libya, near the hills. I've been killing 1-2 Barbarian units PER TURN there for nearly the entire game. If barbarian XP wasn't capped those units would have massive XP.

AI Egypt seems to have survived, but they're pretty low on the totem pole of score. European countries seem to have done okay, mostly. Spain was pretty weak though, when I took them out around 500 A.D. Just two cities and lots of barbarian encampments floating around (~4-5?). Don't know how the far east is doing.

Definitely going to tweak the map to turn barbarians off next time I play on the map.

My only other comment is that the map seems VERY resource rich. I'm just rolling in luxuries and strategic resources, holding West Africa and Spain. Much more so then a normal game, it feels.

Too much unused desert that is the problem. I am sure with the new map he took out a lot of that desert that has no way of being used.

nokmirt
Jul 06, 2012, 12:35 AM
Try this map it will help bigtime with the barb issue. Credit goes to Sven. I have to start my game over anyway, my Vikings need at least a pantheon.

I made this little fix for the desert. A line of mountains, inside is water. Barbs cannot spawn in there. If they spawn outside, they cannot cross the chain of mountains. Wala!

SvenJJ
Jul 06, 2012, 06:27 AM

Yes this is something I was aware of when I made it and is entirely down to my personal preference being towards having a large amount of resources available. (Always was a Legendary Start chap... lol) But it's on my list of things to rebalance as I realise I may have gone a little too far, especially with luxury resources. :rolleyes: Look for a rebalance in v1.4 :p

I made this little fix for the desert. A line of mountains, inside is water. Barbs cannot spawn in there. If they spawn outside, they cannot cross the chain of mountains. Wala!

It's funny you should mention that as that's the exact same fix I've made in the upcoming v1.3 :lol: (Great minds think alike?)

nokmirt
Jul 06, 2012, 07:27 AM
Yes this is something I was aware of when I made it and is entirely down to my personal preference being towards having a large amount of resources available. (Always was a Legendary Start chap... lol) But it's on my list of things to rebalance as I realise I may have gone a little too far, especially with luxury resources. :rolleyes: Look for a rebalance in v1.4 :p

It's funny you should mention that as that's the exact same fix I've made in the upcoming v1.3 :lol: (Great minds think alike?)

I know that is true. :D After I tweaked the map, I started a new game as the Danes. As soon as I can, I want to send a few scouts down to North Africa to check out the barb activity, it should be much more limited.

I certainly can't wait for your new map. In the meantime, I'll practice on this one. It is truly really fun right now.

SvenJJ
Jul 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
So after a few hours of hard work today I've finished v1.3 of the map! I've uploaded onto the first page. :D

As always keep your awesome feedback coming in and let me know what you think of the Barbarian situation now as well as the extension of the map.

nokmirt
Jul 06, 2012, 03:50 PM
So after a few hours of hard work today I've finished v1.3 of the map! I've uploaded onto the first page. :D

As always keep your awesome feedback coming in and let me know what you think of the Barbarian situation now as well as the extension of the map.

Great job on that map Sven. :)

SvenJJ
Jul 07, 2012, 03:51 PM
Quick piece of news... I finally figured out how to use ModBuddy and so if you're a Steam User you can now subscribe to this map and any future updates on the Steam Workshop! Hooray! :)

Gewar
Jul 08, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hello Sven,

I like your map very much - it is huge, it has 22 Civs, it is balanced, rotated and with Sahara tick - I can't image what more to want from its design :D

But, I like to play marathon games and when I load scenario it is always standard speed (I can change to marathon, but it changes to standard when I hit start game).
Any chance to fix it issue?

nokmirt
Jul 09, 2012, 03:24 AM
Hello Sven,

I like your map very much - it is huge, it has 22 Civs, it is balanced, rotated and with Sahara tick - I can't image what more to want from its design :D

But, I like to play marathon games and when I load scenario it is always standard speed (I can change to marathon, but it changes to standard when I hit start game).
Any chance to fix it issue?

I think you can change that via worldbuilder.

PawelS
Jul 09, 2012, 04:35 AM
My feedback about the map (I was playing as Carthage):

Some city states have no "civilization type" (they are displayed as "city state" in the scenario editor), so they become a random CS type in the game. Also the city states that aren't in the vanilla game are referred to with a different name than their city's name. I think you should make a mod that changes their names, so the civ name and city name are the same.
There are no horses near Carthage. They have their elephant units, but without horses they can't upgrade them to Knights. I grabbed the 2 horses on Sardinia, but still it's only 2.
Valletta usually grabs the Wheat hex on Sicily before a civ founds a city there. This makes Sicilian cities have less food, perhaps you should consider moving Malta one hex further from Sicily (I used a Great General to create a Citadel there only to retake that hex from Valletta).
In some lakes in Africa there are Fish resources. But Work Boats can't be built in cities next to lakes, so these resources can't be used, except giving +1 food.

nokmirt
Jul 09, 2012, 06:30 AM
My feedback about the map (I was playing as Carthage):

Some city states have no "civilization type" (they are displayed as "city state" in the scenario editor), so they become a random CS type in the game. Also the city states that aren't in the vanilla game are referred to with a different name than their city's name. I think you should make a mod that changes their names, so the civ name and city name are the same.
There are no horses near Carthage. They have their elephant units, but without horses they can't upgrade them to Knights. I grabbed the 2 horses on Sardinia, but still it's only 2.
Valletta usually grabs the Wheat hex on Sicily before a civ founds a city there. This makes Sicilian cities have less food, perhaps you should consider moving Malta one hex further from Sicily (I used a Great General to create a Citadel there only to retake that hex from Valletta).
In some lakes in Africa there are Fish resources. But Work Boats can't be built in cities next to lakes, so these resources can't be used, except giving +1 food.

In mine, I added horses near Carthage. Not just, because of elephants, but also from realizing that Carthage had a huge cavalry. Yes, we know this was largely Numidian, however, horses should still be available in that area.

The fish in the desert lakes, probably is ok. For the simple fact, that your not going to get a huge surplus of fish, for industry, out of a desert lake. :lol: If they indeed are in desert areas.

The Valetta issue should be addressed though. That is very important.

All in all, I have done some strategic resource rebalancing. Mostly, I added an extra strategic resource to tiles that just had one. I also, added the Ploesti oilfields, as well as a few other oilfields in other areas. For the most part though, I kept mostly conservative about this, because too many strategic resources is not good. There has to be the situation present on the map for civs to fight over what is needed.

gunnergoz
Jul 09, 2012, 11:49 AM
Wonderful map! Playing v1.3 as Byzantium and am having a blast. Not too much trouble with barbs but it seems that the Egyptians and Arabs may be suffering as their civs are not very powerful. Most powerful civs seem to be France and Huns - after me. :D Especially after I cleaned the Turk's out after they DOW'ed me for the last time. (To be fair, I did keep taking their settlers from early on so I could have most of the peninsula to myself.) :nya:

Also would be nice if the Prypyet Marshes in Western Russia were represented...can't tell from the image if they are there now and I've not been that way in the game map yet.

gunnergoz
Jul 09, 2012, 11:58 AM
OBTW, any chance of getting the volcano (Thera) moved to Italy where it can represent Vesuvius as an active volcano wonder? Seems to me to be better use of it since Thera's eruption pretty much devastated the local civilizations (i.e. removing them from play) and negated it as an active volcano. Another alternative place would be in Sicily to represent Etna or Stromboli...but I think as Vesuvius would be best.

PawelS
Jul 09, 2012, 12:30 PM
Unfortunately the Volcano graphics works only when it's surrounded by water.

gunnergoz
Jul 09, 2012, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately the Volcano graphics works only when it's surrounded by water.

:blush: I knew that! :old: :hammer2:

OK so I just modded Mt. Kalish in there instead. :goodjob:

jk_bonn
Jul 10, 2012, 03:06 AM
I like this map! :goodjob:

SvenJJ
Jul 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
Looking into adding custom city states right now but having a little bit of problem with the modding. If any experienced eyes want to take a look I'd greatly appreciate it. I created a thread in the main customization forum for greater exposure, it can be found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=468781

Pnutmaster
Jul 11, 2012, 10:23 PM
Hey Sven, any chance of releasing a non-G&K version of your delightful map? I gave conversion a try, but all that resulted was a map where Civilizations started with 0 Science :lol:

animalguy
Jul 12, 2012, 04:42 AM
Great map Sven but I have have one tiny probem with the map, it disappered from my mods selection and it wont let me re install it! Any advice as to how I can remedy this as I really do love this map

SvenJJ
Jul 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
Good news everybody. With a little help from eazyseeker I managed to get the custom city states working! Also I've added some marshlands here and there including (thank you gunnergoz) the Pinsk Marshes. The issue with the wheat on Sicily should also now be resolved.

You can find v1.4 on the front page as usual. Keep those suggestions coming in!

Now to what you guys have said:

Hey Sven, any chance of releasing a non-G&K version of your delightful map? I gave conversion a try, but all that resulted was a map where Civilizations started with 0 Science :lol:

It's next on my list, I promise! ;)

Great map Sven but I have have one tiny probem with the map, it disappered from my mods selection and it wont let me re install it! Any advice as to how I can remedy this as I really do love this map

Well step one, try version 1.4 on the main page. If that doesn't work then tell me how you've been installing it, manually or on the Steam Workshop and we'll go from there.

I like this map! :goodjob:

Thanks! :D I think it's getting better and better with all the feedback and suggestions I keep receiving.

Now, some things I'd like to hear your opinions about...

I had a suggestion on my workshop page on Steam to expand the map a teeny bit northwards to include the connection between Sweden and Finland. Now this would give more land to Russia (Damn you Russia! :gripe:), but I can see their point. So I was wondering if you think map expansions in any direction are warranted/would add value to the game/would like to be seen.

The other thing would be regarding City States. Now that I know how to add custom ones all I want I'm really keen to hear how you think they are balance-wise as they stand. My main sticking point at the moment is that I don't know if there are too many in an already crowded Europe. Also, there are quite a few open areas to the right of the map, potential for States there?

And discuss... :mischief:

PawelS
Jul 12, 2012, 04:17 PM
I think a little (but not too much) expansion in the northeast direction is a good idea, not only to connect Sweden with Finland, but also to enable passage behind the Caspian Sea.

City State placement looks good, I like that their number is equal to the number of major civs, a 1:1 ratio is best IMO.

A little thing I noticed: the Reef model requires it to be on 2 adjacent hexes; you put it on one hex, and because of that it's not displayed properly in the game.

animalguy
Jul 12, 2012, 11:04 PM
Okay finally got the map working :). I think the Ottomans should be moved further away from constantinople because the byzantines are surrounded from Greece, The huns and The Ottomans who just seem to suffocate the byzantines from the very begining of the game. Perhaps moving them closer to lebanon would help with this problem?

I also agree that there should be a land connection between sweeden and the rest of Europe, but if you are conserned that this wil; give Russia more land then perhaps add in more city states in eastern Europe to leverage this out.

Overall a great map, but a bit more balencing is needed so that some civs dont get stuck in an involantry OCC eg. Netherlands, Austria, Denmark, Byzantium* and the huns*.

* Generally only one of these civs will become crippled because if one expands then the other becomes surrounded.

gunnergoz
Jul 13, 2012, 12:53 AM
I know you have a thing about Russia, but to be fair, much of Russia's modern wealth and industry comes from the lands up to and including the Urals. So we don't need the map to go all the way to Siberia (!) but we should be giving the Russians an incentive to expand Eastward into the Urals and not simply force them Westward so much. Historically, Russia spent much more time and energy expanding Eastward, than Westward. It does not have to be a lot and can be compressed a bit rather than showing actual distances: even a few (8-12) extra rows Eastward would help give Russia some incentive to stretch out to the East and not put so much (unrealistic) pressure on its Western neighbors.

If the goal is instead to FORCE Russia to be a Westward-expanding force, then we should provide it with Ukrainian, Lithuanian and Polish civilizations to deal with, since they are the logical ones that stood in the way of Russia's expansion in that direction.

animalguy
Jul 13, 2012, 07:32 AM
I have noticed a few problems with the starting locations. In a reccently played game Spain began right next to the rock of Gibraltar and England somehow began in modern day Yemen/Oman. I looked at the map in the world builder and there is no set start position for both the spanish and english civs so that may be something you want to adress.

Also I experimented with moving the ottomans into Syria, sort of like the Into the Renissance scenario and byzantium was actually able to expande into Turkey. This start also did not cripple the ottomans and they managed to get alot of cities up which was a good sign!

labrynianrebel
Jul 15, 2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for making the map bigger, now this will probably be my favorite "not the whole earth" map!

Echoluken
Jul 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
hey sven love you map but one question the marathon options doesn't work on it. I have pressed the option in set up game but everytime i load and press the esc key. I get an quick game. I've tried deactivating every other mod to see if it's a compatibility problem but i get the same results. So I am wondering if it's always like this

thx for your time

SvenJJ
Aug 08, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hi guys!

First of all, to resolve the starting location problems, remember that you need to click on the Load Scenario button and have the required DLC/Expansion.

Echoluken, in order to change the game speed to Marathon, you'll need to go into the World Builder, open the map and then edit the game speed in 'Scenario Editor'.

Update

So! Sorry for the lack of communication with you guys, I've been in the process of moving house and have only just got settled in. I'm kind of wondering what direction to take the map in next. From my playtesting things seem a lot better with the barbarians now and only Babylon and Byzantium seem to really need buffing somewhat so that can be fixed fairly easily. But the question remains as to where I should go from here. So I'll pass the buck onto you lot and hear some suggestions! Let's hear them! :D

Someone mentioned before about further expansion of the map to include northern Scandanavia. This would be possible but the map is about as large as it can get right now so it wouldn't be much or all of it. The other option is to shrink the existing map a little. Attached is an example of what might be doable with a map shrink of 80% and then expanding to the map's current size. Bear in mind that this is a very rough outline and some features in Europe will look odd as they have not been corrected in the stretch.

Other options could include new civs, city states or anything you can imagine.

Let's hear it! :)

SvenJJ

animalguy
Aug 16, 2012, 04:20 AM
Looks great Sven. I would prefer the smaller version but thats just me and my struggling computer! With this perhaps the indians could be included, but right now I think adding some competition to Ethiopia could be a good idea so they don't get out of control. How do you plan to control Russia, Mongols and Persia with all this new land available to them?

SvenJJ
Aug 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've moved further along with idea and am already making quite a bit of progress with it. I have introduced another Civilization to Africa to compete with Ethiopia as that seems the logical way to do it. I've also removed some Civs in Europe that would struggle with the smaller amount of space available to them (eg. Celts and Netherlands). I've also moved some starting locations around a bit too.

I've played with the XML somewhat and have edited the Natural Wonders somewhat for balance and 'Eurasianization' (eg Turning the Fountain of Youth into the Al-Hasa Oasis and Mt Fuji into Mont Blanc).

In order to balance the Russians, Mongols and Persians I will use a combination of poor yield tiles (Tundra, Snow, Desert etc) and impassable Mountains to limit their expansion somewhat. It will naturally need play testing to balance but I think it will work out fine.

I'm planning on running this alongside the original map as I believe both have their merits. The original map will be further balanced and updated too as well as this expanded one.

Finally, I'm thinking that I might do something a bit quirky with this expanded one. I want it to be a kind of fun 'what if' scenario type map which I'm calling 'To the Indies!'. The premise of this is that Christopher Columbus was right and you can sail west across the Atlantic and sail directly to India! With world-wrap enabled, England is perfectly placed to expand off its small island start to the Indian mainland as well as other western Civs. Still playing with the idea and it will need play testing but what do you think?

Comments/suggestions are both encouraged and welcome!

Oh... And here is a screenshot of the new map so far:

animalguy
Aug 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
Looks great. I like the idea of revmoving some civs in europe, but I was wondering if there was a chance that you coukd make it so that say if the english are chosen then it removes the celts, and if the celts are selected then it removes england. If niether are selcted then it becomes random choice.

The idea of making the world warp is also a great idea so far, but getting england to expand could be quite a challage so it really wil depend. Keep up the good work

Richi333
Aug 19, 2012, 02:13 AM
Hello
I really like your mod, I`ve played your map without mods, just vanilla with the unofficial mod, works fine.
But now I`ve tried it with, hulfgars Industrial warfare mod, added by hand the additional resources, and i can see the timber but i can`t bild a lumbermill on the resource timber?
Any Ideas? Is your map not compatible with that mod?
Thanks for yout reply.

SvenJJ
Aug 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hello
I really like your mod, I`ve played your map without mods, just vanilla with the unofficial mod, works fine.
But now I`ve tried it with, hulfgars Industrial warfare mod, added by hand the additional resources, and i can see the timber but i can`t bild a lumbermill on the resource timber?
Any Ideas? Is your map not compatible with that mod?
Thanks for yout reply.

Hi Richi, thanks for getting in touch. I'm not sure exactly what the precise problem is with the incompatibility. The only thing that is actually changed in this version of the game is the names of the City States. My guess is that if there is a conflict, that's where it is arising.

SvenJJ
Aug 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
Ok Chums! The update to v1.5 is nearly complete and there are a whole lot of new changes and tweaks including a new Civ, euro-specific natural wonders, a new map which expands to India and more!

The main task right now is to populate the map with resources. I'm aware, as you may have noticed in previous versions, that I am very generous with the resources that I give and after trying to populate the new map, I've found that I just can't kick the bug! As such I'm appealing to the community to see if there's anyone who is good at putting resources on maps. I'm looking for it to be both flavourful yet balanced (Wine in France, Spices in India etc).

If I don't get any takers in a few days I'll push forward and you'll just have to make do with my usual distribution! :P

animalguy
Aug 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
I'd love to help but I also suffer from the same bug. I can't wait for the release, this is really one of the best maps out there.

Hrafnkell
Sep 08, 2012, 05:16 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing v. 1.5, Sven. I've been playing on 1.4 and it's a great map. It's a little disconcerting to have the top cropped so close to the Persian hinterland but I understanding your reasoning, and it's a rare treat to have all of Arabia there for play.

Sven, I have a document I compiled a couple of years ago for a mod of my own I had planned for Civ III of resources in the ancient world. I will be happy to send it to you. It's probably a bit long to post here. I can also recommend a couple of maps I've found online.

TheShah
Sep 17, 2012, 01:50 PM
Hey Sven, any timetable on when v.1.5 is going to be released?

I really love this map, and can't wait for the Indian expansion. I was actually considering editing it myself and adding a southern expansion, towards Mali, and probably removing the Hungarians, or Danish to fit them in.

Currently playing a game on v.1.4 as the Ottomans. I don't really see where people think there are too many strategic resources. I've got all of Anatolia sans the Marmara, and I only have 2 deposits. Not that there's any problem with that...

If you need any help doing resource allotment, hit me up via PM. I've been lurking around the forums for a while, but only now bothered to activate my account.

SuperTechmarine
Sep 29, 2012, 08:42 AM
How do i install this?

animalguy
Oct 03, 2012, 01:26 AM
Subscribe to the mod on steam, and then go to the mods section of the game. It should install in there and give you te option to launch it.

Nonevah
Oct 07, 2012, 05:34 AM
Ah... how do you make the civs spawn in the proper locations?

PawelS
Oct 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
To make the civs start at correct locations, check "Load Scenario" when starting the game (this option works properly only when you run the game through the "Mods" option in the main menu).

Nonevah
Oct 14, 2012, 09:17 AM
The Load Scenario button isn't there....

PawelS
Oct 14, 2012, 10:09 AM
It should be there after you select a map with starting locations as map type in normal setup (not in advanced setup).

sennomulo
Oct 25, 2012, 12:06 AM
When I play, there seems to be a non-European civ (America/Maya/etc) spawning in Denmark. Why is that?

animalguy
Oct 27, 2012, 03:29 AM
You need the Denmark DLC for the danish civ to appear. Since this is occuring I am assuming that you don't own the DLC, so the game places a random civ there to fill the empty slot.