View Full Version : TSG21 Game in Progress

leif erikson
Oct 01, 2011, 05:19 AM
Welcome to the TSG21 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 80 to 100 turns.
- Did you use your War Chariots and how did you do so?
- Were there any early wars and did you start them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Did you build any wonders?
- Was there any diplomacy with your neighbors? :mischief:

Once you've completed the game, head over to the TSG21 After Action Report thread.

Aaronius
Oct 03, 2011, 09:56 AM
Well, Ive survived this long, which is nice. I knew within the first ten turns that I was in a very crowded neighborhood. All I can say is WOW, this world is packed. When I saw who some of my neighbors were I knew I could be in deep trouble fast :rolleyes:. I built Great Library and NCollege before settling. I went with four military units to try to keep others from picking on me. I signed RAs with everyone possible and didn't ally any city states. I only settled one additional city to try to stay under the radar as well. I took Hagia Sophia Porcelain Tower and Chichen Itza in my second city (south by the iron and sugar). I declared friends with India and Persia who were both as weak as me, and traded like mad to stay friendly with my neighboring power, the Mongols.

Despite my best efforts Rome DOWed me as did Ottomans later (First two RAs lost :mad:). The war with Rome lasted about 150 turns. I got the Mongols to go to war on Rome which really distracted him late. I just kept picking off his units as they entered my territory and ignored his demands for money and my 2nd city (what a joke :lol:). I held tight until I got to rifles, upgraded all four of my LS and went to attack him. I also started cranking out more rifles and cannons at this time. Ottomans sued for peace but Rome was not so lucky. I took his nearest city with good resources and then sacked Rome. Only downside was I lost my four most experienced units in the process, but I felt that time was everything while I had the tech advantage. I probably killed 25 of his units. It was just waves of crossbows and legions.

Ottomans denounced me the same turn I let Rome sue for a neutral peace. I denounced back and had every other leader agree with me, so I was more than happy to join Persia and India in their war against the Ottomans after 10 turns of preparation. As of right now my cannons are upgraded to artillery (3 of them) and my rifles have two or three promotions a piece (5 of them plus two Cavalry). If I am able to make headway against the Ottomans I suppose there is still hope for me. I'll have to take India on my way back :(, and from that point on everyone will hate me :cry:. I also have this issue of Mongolia surrounding my empire and the Greeks are even slightly more powerful :crazyeye:. My only hope is to get Mongolia to turn on the Greeks, ally Mongolia while I knock out Persia and India, and then backstab Mongolia when I'm ready. I have a feeling they are going to kill me no matter what tho... We'll see.

nthexwn
Oct 03, 2011, 10:40 AM
I built Great Library and NCollege before settling.

That's a neat trick! ;)

Arilian
Oct 04, 2011, 02:38 AM
Settled in place. BO was scout, worker, and also loaned money for another worker.

Mining Pottery Writing -> GL (chop and work on mine) -> Philo, Spend money for RAs.

Pretty standard start, except I have choose Tradition and Wonder building, as first policies.

Expanded to 4 city, and got DOW by Alex and Gingis but hold them back but a good use of 4 different military unit. (Cata, Spear, Horse, Charior)

DOW from Augustus too.

Waves of RAs got me advanced units and knowledge soon, and I got Astro with PT GS (once again pretty standard). Started to push Mongols and Rome but did not capture the Capitols as they both offered very good peace deals.

After tradition I have started to fill Rationalism.

Unfortunately Ghandi built a lots of wonders, especially defensive ones, and go second in tech with 70-80 STR cities. I decided to go Atom bomb with RAtionalism 2 free tech + 2 GS +a few RA and got it at about turn 230.
I did not have uranium so I need to kill my weak friend the Arabs first for it, but give them a little island before that so I will not yet get the diplo hit.
I have got 3 atomic bomb, 5 atrhy, 5 infantry , and 2 lancers (to kill weakened units)

Already conquered Rome and Mecca, and waiting for Ghandi to get the mongol capitol, so I do not have to.

Ghandi now have cities with def 90 and cannon+infantry, but a LOTS so I have to be careful, but I think I will win this now, somewhere at turn 300. (I am out of money because the 3 bomb cost 4500 and I do not have oil for the bombers yet)

I choose Order after RAT, as I suspect happiness will be more of an issue - then I realised there is a good hapiness policy in authocracy too...

Tabarnak
Oct 04, 2011, 03:39 AM
Turn 115 :

Settled on the riversided silver. No 2nd unique lux around, but still a good spot with the cow on north. Went pottery-writting to start the GL. Liberty gave me free worker and settler, and i picked iron working for my free tech. 2nd city already had 2 iron and i almost stole ivory from a cs but 1 turn too late.

3rd city settled right to Delhi and stole the 2 iron tile. With 4 of them, i will be able to take down Ghandi's capital. But he hadn't settled a 2nd city yet! Fortunately, he settled 2 turns before i knock on door.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20112_03_44AM.jpg

Not lost a single unit :goodjob:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20112_11_37AM.jpg

But his army was behind and took their cap on the next turn :(. I easily retaken it but now his cap was down to 1 pop.

I started the Oracle to finish the Liberty tree faster and take a gs for a Steel beeline. But first, i had to settle on the 8 iron spot south-west of Delhi. After Oracle, i started the National College in Thebes but meanwhile Rome and Suleiman decided that i was a bad guy to destroy.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20112_55_08AM.jpg

I magically resisted to Suleiman with 1 and a half swordmen and had to protect settler who wait for NC to be finished. I almost lost Delhi but i could keep it intact. In some turns only i could made peace with Suly with gold and gpt. After NC and with more than enough iron, it was time to upgrade these warriors to mighty longswordmen. With over 1600 :c5gold: accumulated, i will be the real bully this time. I delayed Metal Casting a bit to make enough warrior, then i upgraded everyone close to Rome and Mongols territories. i know they are close even if i didn't scout much.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20113_43_29AM.jpg

I allied the 2 militaristics cs between me and these 2 guys and i researched metallurgy for crossbowmen later. The wave of longswordmen begins his crusade in Rome's territory.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20114_17_03AM.jpg

Some turns later, Mongols decided to DoW me. After Rome has felt, i made peace with another pot of gold and gpt and walked toward Ghengis before they make a bit too much keshiks. But Suly redeclared war and appeared suddenly in my 8 iron city. Hmm. i barely made 3-4 fresh archers and 2 swordmen and i couldn't keep it in time...darn i was at 2 turns from a finished workshop and was ready to start ironworks in cap...i retaked my city, but now it's pop1 again and all buildings razed :(. I need to buy a workshop ASAP and finally this backstab cost me 580 :c5gold: and a bit of population. But good news, i captured my 3rd capital, Karakorum.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20115_05_11AM.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20115_05_39AM.jpg

I got legalism for free burial tombs, i have 8 cities and happiness. I research Civil Service for growth now and i will pursuit Physics for trebuchets(militaristics cs gave me 3 cats so far) and then go for Rifles a bit later. No need for education or theology. Gold and production are priorized in this game. I have the higest productive civ, and i will count on it to mass produce more units.

Arilian
Oct 04, 2011, 05:40 AM
So you plan to end it rifles at the latest? I wonder if this will be ok, i would not dare to rush so far, as i did not know if india will run away, and could not attack india as he was my stable friend with 40 str cities agains longsword :) BTW i settled totally different

I have attached how i stand now (how can I embedd the sreens?)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=303460&stc=1&d=1317734569

edit - you embed it by copying the link of the attachment and placing it within the image tags (look at the header and mouse over icons until you find "insert image"). Click on edit and you can see what I've done. :)

tommynt
Oct 04, 2011, 05:49 AM
started this yesterday, I bought quite a lot WC as 4 iron isnt a lot ... not sure if thats the way to go. Killed now 1 civ - guess I need LS soon. And hope to end this before they arent powerful enough

Arilian
Oct 04, 2011, 06:39 AM
I had 0 iron first as i put my cities away. I got 2 from a CS but lost them after built 2 cata they were fighting with -50% for a long time :)

Aaronius
Oct 04, 2011, 07:11 AM
Between turns 220 and 250 I made war with the Ottomans. My gambit that five riflemen three artillery and two cavalry would do the job turned out to be a precious near run thing. I took four cities from Sully, the first two were like taking candy from a baby. But as I approached the coastal city of Gaziantep, near the capital Istanbul (formerly Constantinoble ;) ) things got rough. For one thing Sully had a navy of four caravels and two frigates that were peppering my riflemen on the approach to the city. Secondly, his UU Sipahi would appear on my flank without warning and indeed some of my brave riflemen (a highly decorated unit) fell victim to the cavalry charge. After taking the coastal city I picked off the navy with my artillery pieces and let my remaining rifles tend to the wounded.

The siege of Istanbul was one of the bloodiest of the game. Not since the war against the Romans in their ancestors time had the Egyptian soldiers witnessed such carnage and horrors. The Ottoman navy continued to arrive and take pot shots at the helpless riflemen while Sully miraculously managed to produce an additional two units per turn. First they were muskets and cannon, then they were rifles, and finally on the last turn of the siege the Egyptian rifles trembled at the first sight of Ottoman artillery. Tech advantage gone… The mighty Egyptian empire lost every single rifleman unit taking Istanbul, save one. The last rifleman unit was down to its last two men, but at last the Ottoman capital was ours.

Needless to say I sued for a neutral peace, and fortunately I got it.

At turn 260 the world was in turmoil and the Egyptian empire was smack in the center of it. To my West lay my allies; my long thin empire surrounded my best friend forever Ghandi in the Northwest, and shared a lot of border with my close friend Darius to the Southwest. My empire looked like a boomerang separating my two friends. Our alliance had lasted practically the whole game. Ghandi and Darius continued to wage war with the Ottomans, now relegated to the far western fringe of the continent, while I garrisoned my remaining units in my cities. My entire eastern front was filled with seemingly hundreds of Mongol cities. To the east of the Mongols lay the Greeks who had long since destroyed the Arabs.

Originally I had planned to take out my loyal friends India and Persia while I had my troops in the neighborhood. However, almost all of my best rifle units died taking Istanbul and both India and Persia got to rifles and then infantry. So I wish I could say I did what I did for honor, but honestly it was just my pathetic desire for self-preservation to not start a war that I surely could not win against a friend that I had betrayed. So I played the good guy role…

The Greeks were leading the tech race and had Infantry by turn 250. Within 15 turns every player had them and I was one of the last. Tech wise I was in fifth place at 61%, 8% behind Greece the leaders. At turn 260 Greece led on points with about 1400. Mongolia was close at 1350, India Persia and myself were all really close to each other at around 1100-1200. Rome and the Ottomans were down to a city or two.

My strategy for survival in this industrial warfare era against technologically superior opponents depended entirely on cementing the right coalition. To me this meant bringing the Mongols more closely in with my other two friends, and continuing to use them as a buffer against the mighty Greeks. My relations with Mongolia were always friendly, yet always tense. Relations consisted of me selling Khan practically every lux and spare strategic resource as well as RAs all the way thru. Khan never asked for friendship and neither did I, but to his credit Khan never attacked me even tho he could have annihilated me at pretty much any point. I realized instintively at this moment that I had to get Mongolia to commit more fully to my alliance b/c the competitive Greek/Roman/Ottoman alliance could have tempted Khan to attack me and I would have been surrounded and destroyed as an afterthought.

My big move was to denounce Greece around turn 270. Altho Greece was at odds with my bff Ghandi and Darius over city states, I had used him all the way up to now for lux trading and RAs. Denouncing him almost certainly meant he would go from friendly to hostile in a short amount of time, hence no more RAs, and likely war. Prior to denouncing him I waited for the last RA to mature, then in the same turn I denounced him I took every CS he had that bordered my empire (two military, two maritime). Greece was at war with Mongolia so I figured denouncing him would really help cement friendship with Khan. Ghandi and Cyrus had denounced Greece in the past so I was pretty sure they would do so again and we would all be one big happy coalition unified by hatred against Greece/Rome/Ottomans. Within two turns of my denouncement both India and Persia had followed suit and Mongolia was ready to declare friendship. This made Darius temporarily uneasy but eventually Mongolia was able to make RAs with everyone in my coalition.

Everything was going just fine until the Greek tanks began upsetting the balance of power. By turn 275 Greece had taken two northern Mongol cities and was now bordering my capital city:eek:. I was surprised by the speed and success of the Greek offensive. Greece and Mongolia began flying fighters at each other in the 270s :eek::eek:, and shortly thereafter Greek artillery upgraded to rocket :eek::eek::eek:! I promptly ordered a new pair of pants, two more artillery pieces and two anti-aircraft guns :cool:.

Lo and behold, on turn 276 the Romans and Greeks declared war on me. Suleiman was dead, like Harun so many centuries before. I’m pretty sure Darius got both of Sully’s last two cities. One turn later I finally upgraded my Cavs to Tanks. I knew where Alexander’s attack had to come from, the captured Mongol city that bordered my capital. Consequently I had two AA guns, six artillery, and four infantry ready to defend, with five tanks ready to join the fight. On my horizon I could see the Greek rocket artillery and tanks lurking across the border.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the first 15 turns of war. Basically Khan and Alex were just throwing units at each other :). B/c Khan’s units tended to be less promoted / more isolated and therefore weaker than mine, Alex tended to target Khan’s units for destruction, while my General advanced my army in a very organized and conservative manner :):). With my six artillery in place (three highly promoted) I could soften a city of 40-50 in a single turn. My infantry shielded the artillery and my tanks skulked behind the artillery. My infantry and artillery would sometimes take a hit from the Greek rocket artillery or the city, but it was rarely fatal thanks to Khan drawing so much of the fire :):):). My uninjured tanks with their five moves would cruise in and take the softened city in a single turn and then easily destroy the rocket artillery in the adjacent tiles :king:. It was a very efficient system, and to my amazement I was able to take three cities in 15 turns. I lost a total of four units (three tanks and one infantry) but was able to replace them with interest out of my nearby capital with full rail connections. My empire was now 11 cities: It stretched from the East coast to the West coast, was connected only thru two allied CS, and at no point was it even two cities thick. It looked like a snake and was easily the most indefensible empire in the history of Civilization, so I was gambling 100% on my friends remaining loyal to me. You know what they say about playing as if there is nothing to lose…:crazyeye:

It is turn 295 now. I am happy to still be alive and kicking. I don’t know how this is going to end. The next two cities are going to be much tougher to take (Mecca 68 defense and Bagdad 64). Alex is bringing helicopters to the front now, and in combination with his rocket artillery, air force, and these bigger more heavily defended cities, I don’t know if I can advance without very heavy casualties. My loyal and decent citizens have had to tolerate so much bloodshed already. Can I really ask them to willingly step into another slaughterhouse siege? :cry:

I’m five turns from rocket artillery, four more after that before a RA gives me modern armor. My other problem is I rely entirely on allies for Aluminum. Oh well, I am 100% vulnerable to their loyalty already, so this will just add to the spectacular nature of my failure if I am betrayed. The scariest part is that these next two cities are the old Arab capital Mecca, and Bagdad. If these cities are this tough, how hard is it going to be to crack Athens? And how far away will Athens even be? I don’t even have a map of the whole continent, and have never even built so much as a canoe :blush:. Can I possibly pull this off? Long odds, very long odds…

Arilian
Oct 04, 2011, 10:01 AM
Good read! For me Delhi was Defence 98! when i have attacked. Nuked it :)

Arilian
Oct 04, 2011, 10:07 AM
This is what i have captured from Delhi:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=303470&stc=1&d=1317744306

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=303471&stc=1&d=1317744306

Thanks for the help about the images :)

Aaronius
Oct 04, 2011, 10:39 AM
Good read! For me Delhi was Defence 98! when i have attacked. Nuked it :)

Ha ha. Well that's one way to do the job, nuking Ghandi. I don't know how you sleep at night, but those wonders are sweeeeeet.

In my case I am far more likely to be on the receiving end of the nukes, altho so far only Ghandi has completed the Manhattan Project. I'm 8 turns away but I doubt I'll go that route. I'm actually just trying to stay alive and try to win by culture. I'm only one policy behind and still have a free policy coming. Only problem is I couldn't build Sydney, but I think maybe I can do it...

Tabarnak
Oct 04, 2011, 03:17 PM
Turn 135 :

Got Beshbalik from Ghengis and offered him peace for 2 more cities and gold. I razed one and kept another. My happiness dropped dangerously below -26. Some rebels appeared in Rome and i've sent some units to clear them all. My main army walked north east to watch Greece which is hostile since turn 100. My other army is preparing for an assault against Suleiman.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20112_41_37PM.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20112_42_03PM.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20112_44_44PM.jpg

Suly didn't wai much and take the lead with a DoW. I still had 33% penalty and i was surfing around -15 happiness. But the GG annihilates a bit this penalty and i didn't face LSM yet. So i went to the offensive despite the penalty. I declared war to Greece too. Some turns later and a city from Turkey captured, this screen popped up :

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20113_18_01PM.jpg

Great deal! I made peace and took Greece's city in the chokepoint zone.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20113_19_25PM-1.jpg

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20113_19_51PM.jpg

I lost 2-3 LSM from them but form that point it's easy to replace them. IBut i don't want to lose more LSM parked near Greece because they are close to logistic promo. To sole the happiness problem, i got monarchy from Tradition and i annexed/rushed courthouses in 2 cities. I couldn't finish the ironworks in cap but i prefer to ''split'' production form many cities than just one. I will rush buy more units later too. I'm at 13-14 turns from rifles, i signed my only RA so far with Harun, my only friend. This was supposed to get me metallurgy faster but since my tech rates jumped enough to get it myself i will use it for chemistry instead.

With rifles and cannons around turn 150, the rest of the world will be mine fairly easily. My actual army divised in 2 is composed of 16 LSM, 5 crossbowmen and 2 trebuchets. I have +6 happiness and the crusade will continue :goodjob:

Main land, not beautiful at first look lol

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20113_20_11PM.jpg

Demographics :king:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20113_20_28PM.jpg

bige77
Oct 05, 2011, 08:44 AM
I was unable to get a good tech lead until I made it to rifleman and was able to knock off Rome with them and Infantry. I am in the modern era now not sure what turn I am at since I am not at home, but I need to take out Greek's cap and Askia I believe. I have a question though Arabia took out Mongolia's capital earlier in the game while I was at peace after regrouping from taking a couple of their cities. Do I need to take it from what is left of Arabia to win or does it count already since I have Arabia's capital?

Arilian
Oct 05, 2011, 10:08 AM
You do not need to take it.

Monthar
Oct 05, 2011, 02:22 PM
Turn 115 :

Settled on the riversided silver. No 2nd unique lux around, but still a good spot with the cow on north. Went pottery-writting to start the GL. Liberty gave me free worker and settler, and i picked iron working for my free tech. 2nd city already had 2 iron and i almost stole ivory from a cs but 1 turn too late.

3rd city settled right to Delhi and stole the 2 iron tile. With 4 of them, i will be able to take down Ghandi's capital. But he hadn't settled a 2nd city yet! Fortunately, he settled 2 turns before i knock on door.

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa413/Tabarnak2/Screenshot-04_10_20112_03_44AM.jpg

From this screenshot I can see you're only at turn 52 and already have 3 cities, 4 swords, 1 archer and 3 workers. How? I couldn't even finish the GL that quickly, let alone get the 3rd city and that many units.

Tabarnak
Oct 05, 2011, 02:51 PM
From this screenshot I can see you're only at turn 52 and already have 3 cities, 4 swords, 1 archer and 3 workers. How? I couldn't even finish the GL that quickly, let alone get the 3rd city and that many units.

Not 1 archer...2 of them :). I got an upgrade from a ruin and i built another one. Workers are from : Liberty, cs(steal, but i made sure that it was not protected by a civ...the earlier is better in that case) and bought one from an early silver deal(i settled on it) but only after pottery and writting. I have waited a few more turns to get only pot of gold(240 :c5gold:).

Capital builds : scout-monument-granary-GL-warrior(or 2?)-circus-Oracle

tommynt
Oct 06, 2011, 06:24 AM
me game is a bit going like tabernaks.

Got glib (around t40) poped iron and attacked India.

I did it with 2 swords and lots of wc. Went onwest with the army and killed Ottos and then tried persia, but failed as land (woods) was really bad and lot of imos.
Plan is to Anex otto cap and buy some LS there to kill persia.

meanwhile I got 2 more iron and attacked Arabias (real easy) and Mongols with 2 sword and some other units. Rome is the powerhouse in my game. But got LS just after Mongolia fall (t80 about) and upgarded 2the 2 swords + 2 new (iron at arabs)

and could attack rome with 4 LS not even strength 21 cap and gw and LOADS od warris and archers (rome didnt have res ...) could stop the LS.

Now there is greece and persia left. As greece is pretty strong I didnt want splitt army but went all out Rome. Now I ll see if fastest way to Athens is via sea or land - both ll take about 15 turns. Think persia might fall in same timeframe.

So I expect game to end around t120-t130 if things dont go totaly wrong (4 LS each should be unstopable)

Mazer Rackham
Oct 07, 2011, 08:36 AM
I'm at turn 124 and have taken out the capitals of Ghandi, Sully and now Darius. I've also recently declared on Genghis and hope to have his capital within 10 turns. Darius had the Great Wall, so I won't have do deal with that the rest of the way. I've got Longswords and Crossbows but am the number 2 army behind Alex. He may be a beast in the end but I should be able to combine my 2 armies after taking Rome and Mecca to go deliver the final blow.

I've had a few major misplays on this one. The most notable when I moved a worker into my capital across a river to escape a barb. Unfortunately there was already a great general there who swapped places and got crunched the next turn. I also bee-lined iron working with the intent of rushing India with swords and archers. I saw no good deposits around, so I spent all my cash to ally a CS with 4 iron. Literally 2 turns later, my scouting south of India finished revealing a city site where I could pick up 8 iron, multiple luxuries, cows, rivers everywhere, etc. :crazyeye: The CS took forever to even hook up their iron and I ended up taking Delhi with warriors and archers anyway.

I settled on the Silver hill and built scout, scout, monument, and then military. For policies I chose Tradition opener, Honor, Discipline, Warrior Code for the GG, Military Caste for the happiness/culture, and then Piety and Organized Religion. I bought a worker and I think I recovered one from a camp. When I got enough cash, I bought a settler - around the time of the India war - to go claim the great city site south of India. In the India war I lost 1 or 2 units.

After Iron Working, I teched Pottery, Writing, Philosophy, then Masonry, Calendar for luxuries. I worked on getting up the National College ASAP, but had to wait several tunrs to buy a library in the 2nd city. I went to math thinking I'd get some Catapults going (I've only built one and it got sacrificed) and then went to Theology for the HS for a GS to get to Steel. It looked daunting to hard tech it when I started on this plan - but by the time I had completed the National College and HS, it was only 9 turns for Steel. :rolleyes:

Sully was pretty easy. He had a horseman, and one of those annoying archer, trireme, city triple combos that gets three shots on you each time. But I took Istanbul with no casualties and got another city in the peace deal. Darius had the Great Wall and several other wonders. I lost a LS, and the aforementioned catapult, but I'm glad to be done with trying to trudge through that.

Genghis looks like he'll be a pushover. He's been fighting with Caesar and Harun a lot and looks pretty weak. Beshbalik is at half strength and will be mine next turn. Karakorum is next in line. I have seen a Keshik - doesn't scare me, but the impending knights I'll be facing soon do. Harun's score is lower than Sully's and looks easy as well.

I've had quite a bit of sub-optimal play, but hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on.

Mazer Rackham
Oct 10, 2011, 08:00 AM
Things have progressed as expected since my last update.

I took Genghis out in a few turns, burning a Longsword in the process. I got to the point where I had 2 attacks left and needed him to knock an additional 3 HPs off before taking the city with my final attacker. I accepted peace for all G's gold (only a few hundred) and resources after that.

Meanwhile, my western army that had recently taken Persepolis began marching east towards Rome. Genghis' loot gave me enough to upgrade my remaining archers in this army to Crossbows and they met up with a green LS along the way - reinforcements! That brought the army up to 5 Crossbows and 3 or 4 Longswords.

They actually passed a large, outdated Roman army heading west along the way. They were on their way to attack Darius (at least they thought they were). LOL Rome had bought all the City States near his borders, but I bought out a strategically placed Militaristic one right before declaring war. Legions and Ballistas were actually pretty strong against my army! But I didn't have to burn any units - just used strategic shuffling of the wounded and slow steady progress towards Rome. Caesars army that I had passed got bogged down trying to take Persepolis with its Great Wall. My garrisoned scout fought bravely against any archers or warriors who managed to get within a tile of the city.

Meanwhile, I had bribed Alex to go to war against Harun - hoping they would burn some of their troops against each other. My eastern army that had taken out Genghis had healed up and gotten reinforcements. They were now about as strong as my western army that was thrashing Caesar. Harun caught me snooping around his borders and asked me to declare war on him. I obliged. There was nothing scary he could throw at me - it was just hard to get to wage the war through Alex's troops.

I had completed Education and put a university in the capital with the sole purpose of generating a GS. I had also signed a couple of RAs with Harun and Alex around turn 100 to 110. Harun's was 1st and I didn't get too close to his borders until this one completed. Things came together swimmingly to where Gunpowder/Metallurgy was sped up by the RAs and the GS popped to where I could get to Rifling.

For Social Policies, after getting the Temple happiness policy (+3 happiness Burial Tombs FTW!), I finished out Honor for cheap upgrades and the Gold from kills. Then I took the Golden Age from Piety. I actually built the Oracle around turn 130. :)

Rome fell before shortly before Rifling and Caesar gave up his whole empire. I sold off most of the parts to my weaker vanquished foes - Gandhi and Darius. Mecca fell a few turns after Rifling - to a LS who hadn't been promoted yet. Harun managed to complete the Himeji Castle the turn before I took Mecca. :D

I had to annex Persepolis, then buy a courthouse and a fishing boat for whales to get back to -9 happiness. I have upgraded all LS to Rifles and kept the Crossbowman and they are all rushing towards Athens. I have open borders - Alex even asked if I wanted to be friends recently. (uh... not really) I have bought the Militaristic CS to the NE, where I can stage if necessary. I'll just see what is around and declare if it looks good. I have about 10 Rifles and 10 Xbows on the road, so he's in real trouble.

I won't beat Tabarnak's 159 or tommynt but things have been rolling nicely since my early misplays.

killerloop
Oct 11, 2011, 04:03 AM
I just finished this (in the end quite) tedious game. Here my notes till turn 115.

I settled on the silver mountain. Build scout, temple, warrior, granary, GLib (t43)
my 1st 3 huts I popped were cult, AH and pop, I don't recall in what order. After that I popped a barb location and an upgrade.
When I got my early settler I didn't find any luxes yet, so I scouted down till I saw the ivory. I wanted to settle next to it, but had to move back because of the CS! That the sugar also felt in the 3-ring I only found out much later (there was a barbcamp NE of it), but the whole game I didn't hook it up as I didn't want to spent the 350 gold to get the tile.

With Glib I bulbed Iron and upgraded my 2 warriors to take on India, which I captured and erased on turn 57. My army went on to Ottomans where I captured the Capital on t72 for a peace with all his gold + Bursa. I then moved on to persia but got stuck in the woods.

Picture of turn 50
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m520/killerloop121/TSG21t50.jpg

Delhi hooked up the 2 additional iron there, and with two additional swords and a couple of WC's I moved to the east and took on Arabia (t93) and Genghis (t105). At turn 87 I reached Steel so I had LSM's. When I took Genghis I had 5 LSM there.

Delhi build a settler and settled on the 6 iron. So I build an LSM in Delhi and Otto's capital to take on Persia. Persia's Capital fell on turn 113 so 2 capitals to go.......only??

I thought things would go easy from here, as on turn 115 I had 14 LSM's and 3 GG's. 4 in Persia that I didn't need anymore (I thought!), 5 on it's way to the romans and 5 underway to Alex....

picture at turn 115
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m520/killerloop121/TSG21t115.jpg

BTW, I also build the Great Wall myself to not have to fight this one!

the rest will follow in the after action thread

QuizMan
Oct 11, 2011, 10:27 AM
T165 and there may be trouble ahead

I have not had much time for this because of other commitments. Until now, I have been pleased with progress being someone that struggles beyond prince. I have taken the cities of Gandhi, Genghis and Augustus in that order (Rome had loads of wonders including GW and PT). I have just started on Darius. Harun and Sully will be easy.

However, Greece has just overtaken me as military #1. I have rather left my front door poorly defended while tackling Darius via my back door. Alex has just DOWed me and has arrived with many troops. Thankfully my capital is well placed to defend having a tile between in and the river that he is attacking across. So far I have seen nothing worse that cats, swords and one knight against my cannon, LS and archer plus one war chariot (don't laugh) that is highly promoted and is a useful sniper. Hopefully I can hold out while I get some more reinforcements built/purchased.

I was hoping Harun would be a buffer. I do not even know where Alex is situated as my east bound scout got mauled. That wasn't my finest hour.

ElWanderer
Oct 26, 2011, 01:31 AM
I've not played at immortal level before. I've never really gone out for a domination win from the beginning before either - my gameplay is more suited to quick teching. So this has turned into a right slog and I can't see myself finishing in time, unless maybe I go for a different victory condition.

Turn 175 and I'm about to capture a capital (Karakorum) at last, unless the constant waves of keshiks whittle down my riflemen too much. In this push I've lost three pikemen already; I'd love to have been able to upgrade them all to rifles beforehand but I just don't have the money. I am just about first in science, but way behind in most other aspects - I think my largest city is size 11, whereas Mecca is size 21. It's like I'm playing a completely different game to the AI, and to be honest it's not particularly enjoyable.

Historical events:
I settled on the riverside silver so I'd have an early luxury sale opportunity.
I didn't go for the Great Library early, on the grounds that I should avoid such luxuries. Ended up building it anyway after no one else did.
Caesar signed a research agreement with me on turn 58, then declared war five turns later.
I settled three additional cities then hit Legalism to get four free burial chambers.
Khan declared war on India, then shortly after declared war on me and Arabia in the same turn.
Because of the AI advantage in numbers, it took ~100 turns before either Caesar or Khan would make sensible peace offers. A few turns ago, I took a straight peace deal with Rome to focus on Mongolia.

I did build a war chariot but couldn't really see the point - it can move very quickly then shoot, at which point it's incredibly vulnerable to being counter-attacked by whatever you shot at. Somehow, I managed to keep mine alive and upgrade it to a knight.

Mazer Rackham
Oct 26, 2011, 07:23 AM
I can't see myself finishing in time, unless maybe I go for a different victory condition.

Turn 175 and I'm about to capture a capital (Karakorum) at last, unless the constant waves of keshiks whittle down my riflemen too much. In this push I've lost three pikemen already; I'd love to have been able to upgrade them all to rifles beforehand but I just don't have the money. I am just about first in science, but way behind in most other aspects - I think my largest city is size 11, whereas Mecca is size 21. It's like I'm playing a completely different game to the AI, and to be honest it's not particularly enjoyable.

It's ok (and quite normal) to be way behind in the population demographics in Immortal. If you are on par with tech at this stage, you should be in winnable shape. After you take Karakorum, hopefully you can get a nice peace deal from Genghis. This will enable you to finish your upgrades to Rifles and you can roll on to the next target.

At turn 175, you'll probably start encountering other rifles soon. I would purposefully tech towards Dynamite ASAP with RAs, GS Bulbs, etc. because I think you are going to need Artillery to finish the map.

Historical events:
I settled on the riverside silver so I'd have an early luxury sale opportunity.
I didn't go for the Great Library early, on the grounds that I should avoid such luxuries. Ended up building it anyway after no one else did.
Caesar signed a research agreement with me on turn 58, then declared war five turns later.
I settled three additional cities then hit Legalism to get four free burial chambers.
Khan declared war on India, then shortly after declared war on me and Arabia in the same turn.
Because of the AI advantage in numbers, it took ~100 turns before either Caesar or Khan would make sensible peace offers. A few turns ago, I took a straight peace deal with Rome to focus on Mongolia.

I did build a war chariot but couldn't really see the point - it can move very quickly then shoot, at which point it's incredibly vulnerable to being counter-attacked by whatever you shot at. Somehow, I managed to keep mine alive and upgrade it to a knight.

I didn't build a single war chariot either. I really hate UUs that lose all their promotions when they upgrade. Wish they would implement an alternative to this - some have been proposed on these forums.

The players who sped through this GotM focused on war a lot earlier. They sent out a war party of swords and archers. I even took out Delhi with 2 warriors and archers.

But your game seems to be in good shape for a win. Don't worry about the AI city sizes - they have some kind of magic food on the higher levels and this is common. Since you are used to going for quick science, you probably have the infrastructure to get to Artillery fast and should really roll after that.

ElWanderer
Oct 26, 2011, 01:11 PM
*Useful stuff*

Cheers :)

Yeah, from reading this thread it became quite clear I'd not angled myself anything like as much towards early fighting as I should have. Still, it does look like I should win. The problem is it might not be until sometime next month; I don't get much time to play these days, and I'm a slooooooooow player at the best of times.

I seem to be heading for public schools at the moment. With two research agreements about to pop, I really ought to look at beelining dynamite instead.

I even took out Delhi with 2 warriors and archers.

Crikey.

Edit: played on two turns, captured Karakorum (with Hanging Gardens... pity the luxuries are copies of ones I already have) and idly clicked on Genghis to see what he'd offer for peace. ~500 gold, 89gpt, 4 luxuries and 2 cities. Crikey again. Will have to work out which cities I would take (one he's offered is a captured city state, I presume I could liberate it) and hammer out a deal next time I get the chance to play.