View Full Version : Fantasy Empires

Pages : [1] 2 3

Balrog
Feb 12, 2003, 02:31 PM
Fantasy / Medieval mod by Balrog.

Play the World expansion pack is required in order to play.

****Fantasy Empires II. will be released within 3-4 weeks after the Conquests expansion pack hit the stores! FE II. will have huge amount of new features, so stay tuned! :)****

Screenshot 1 - Fantasy Empires v2.0 - Some new Civilopedia Icons [Not all of them]

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Civilopediaicons.jpg

Screenshot 2 - Fantasy Empires v2.0 - Special Resources (Some of them are new, the rest is updated!)

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Resources.jpg

Screenshot 3 - Fantasy Empires v2.5 - New special resource & Kraal Forest gfx - Thx to Telgar for the forest gfx! :) -NEW!!!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Resources25.jpg

Screenshot 4 - Fantasy Empires v2.5 - Units -NEW!!!

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Units25.jpg

Screenshot 5 - Fantasy Empires v2.0 - Science Advisor screenshot

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Sadvisor.jpg

Screenshot 6 -Fantasy Empires v2.0 - Updated roads, irriogaton, river graphics + the City gfx

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Cities.jpg

Features:

-Custom medieval/fantasy units with animated flics. [Thx to Kinboat and the other unit modders for the gfx!]

-Around 85 Civilization Advances [most of them are custom]
-Special strategic resources

-3 culture groups with unique city gfx

-Custom improvements, icons

-Civilopedia is fully edited

+much more..

Balrog
Feb 12, 2003, 02:39 PM
V0.8 FULL - FILES - TOTAL SIZE:~35.5MB

*removed* Download v2.0!

v0.9

*removed* Download v2.0!

v0.9b

*removed* Download v2.0!

v1.0

*removed* Download v2.0!

Changes and additions:

- Irrigation bonus is balanced
- Pediaicons critical errors are fixed
- Civilopedia errors are fixed & Civilopedia is updated
- New irrigation gfx
- New ruins gfx
- Updated roads gfx
- Graphical bug fixed
- Unit .ini and filename errors are fixed
- Various minor gameplay tweaks

****v2.0 FULL! TOTAL SIZE: ~41.5 MB****

What's new in Fantasy Empires v2.0?

New strategic resources are added:

- Wood Elf Village. [With this resource the players will be able to train the Wood Elven units.]

- Magic Node [This resource will be needed to summon specific units.]

- Orc Camp [This resource will be needed to recruit orcs.]

New Units are added:

- Barbarian Warrior is added as basic barbarian unit; [New .flc gfx]

- Barbarian Rider is added as advanced barbarian unit; [New .flc gfx]

- Halberdier [Era 2]

- Wood Elf Warrior [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village and The Elves advance is required to train the unit]

- Wood Elf Archer [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village and The Elves advance is required to train the unit]

- Forestguard [Wood Elven unit]; [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village and The Elves advance is required to train the unit]

- Axeman with new .flc animations; [Era 2]

- Crossbowman [Era 3]

- Daemon [Daemon Portal advance and the Magic Node strategic resource is required to build the unit]; [Era 4]

- Dark Knight [Dark Portal advance and the Magic Node strategic resource is required to build the unit]; [Era 3]

- Ballista [Siege Weaponry advance is required to build the unit]; [Era 2]

- Trebuchet [Siege Weaponry -Master Level is required to build the unit]; [Era 3]

- Orc Warrior [Orc Camp strategic resource and The Orcs advance is required to build the unit]

^
*NOTE* Big thanks to Kinboat for the awesome Elven, Griffon, Balrog and other units!

Units removed:

- Mercenary Knight
- Mercenary Swordsman

Lot of high quality icons are added to the Civilopedia.

Units are balanced and tweaked

Civilization Advance renamed: -Siege Weapons -> Siege Weaponry

New Civilization Advances are added:

- Weapon Crafting [Era 1]
- Armor Smithing [Era 1]
- Sword Crafting [Era 1]
- Bowcrafting [Era 1]
- Pike Making [Era 1]
- Light Infantry Armor [Era 1]
- Shield Making [Era 1]
- The Swordsman [Era 1]
- The Bowman [Era 1]
- The Pikeman [Era 1]
- The Horseman [Era 1]
- Chariot Construction [Era 1]

-Weapon Crafting -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Axe Making [Era 2]
- Sword Crafting -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Bowcrafting -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Armor Smithing -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Medium Infantry Armor [Era 2]
- Cavalry Armor [Era 2]
- The Elite Swordsman [Era 2]
- The Axeman [Era 2]
- The Longbowman [Era 2]
- The Lancer [Era 2]
- The Halberdier [Era 2]
- Polearms -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- War Chariot Construction [Era 2]
- Siege Weaponry -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Foreign Races [Era 2]
- The Orcs [Era 2]
- The Elves [Era 2]

- Weapon Crafting -Master Level [Era 3]
- Armor Smithing -Master Level [Era 3]
- Heavy Infantry Weaponry [Era 3]
- Heavy Cavalry Weaponry [Era 3]
- Heavy Infantry Armor [Era 3]
- Heavy Cavalry Armor [Era 3]
- Shield Making -Master Level [Era 3]
- Crossbow Making [Era 3]
- The Knight [Era 3]
- The Elite Heavy Infantry [Era 3]
- Dark Portal [Era 3]
- Siege Weaponry -Master Level [Era 3]

- Daemons Gate [Era 4]

Satrapy is now an Era 4 advance

Civilization Advances Removed:

- Infantry Weapons
- Advanced Infantry Weapons
- Elite Infantry Weapons
- Advanced Cavalry Training

Civilopedia is updated
Civilization Advances are balanced
Rules are balanced
Various bugs are fixed

Science Advisor Screen is updated [Arrows are added to link the advances]

New 'Rivers' terrain gfx
Updated 'Roads' terrain gfx

New Centaur's Den [Strategic Resource] gfx
New Mercenary Keep [Strategic Resource] gfx
New Giant Spider's Lair [Strategic Resource] gfx
Updated Dragon's Cave [Strategic Resource] gfx
Updated Griffin's Nest [Strategic Resource] gfx

Updated and categorized Units.xls

DOWNLOAD LINK:

Fantasy Empires v2.0 @ Civfanatics server ->

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/modpack/Fantasy_Empires_v2.zip

Fantasy Empires v2.5 Patch ~6 Mb

What's new in Fantasy Empires v2.5?

-New strategic resource: Dwarf Stronghold [With this resource the players will be able to train the dwarven units]

-New units are added:
- Orc Warlord

- Fireball [Spell; The Magic Node strategic resource and the Fireball advance is required to build the unit.] [Era 3]

- Lighting Bolt [Spell; The Magic Node strategic resource and the Lighting Bolt advance is required to build the unit.] [Era 3]

- Death Cloud [Spell; The Magic Node strategic resource and the Death Cloud advance is required to build the unit.] [Era 4]

- Dwarf Guard [Players will need the strategic resource: Dwarf Stronghold, and The Dwarves advanceis required to train the unit.]

- Dwarf Ironbreaker [Players will need the strategic resource: Dwarf Stronghold, and The Dwarves advance is required to train the unit.]

-New Civilization Advances are added:

- The Dwarves [Era 2]

- Magery [Era 3]
- Fireball [Era 3]
- Lighting Bolt [Era 3]

- Death Cloud [Era 4]
- Magic Mastery [Era 4]

-New City Improvement: - Kraal Tradepost [+50% Luxury Output, requires the mathematics advance to build.]

-New Orc Warrior animations [Kinboat's Uruk-Hai Berserker]

-Galley is now an Era 1 unit [Map Making is required to build it.]
-Elven units now have 2 movement points

-New forest type: Kraal Forest [replaced jungle] - Thx to Telgar for his work on the new forest gfx!

-Archer, Longbowman, Crossbowman, Fire Longbowman, Gordian Bowman and Wood Elf Archer are now bombard units.

-Fixed transparency errors [Mountain forests, Mountain forests, and Animal Lore icon]

-Science Advisor Screen is updated
-Updated Civilopedia and Pediaicons
-Updated Science Advisor screens
-Various minor bugs are fixed
-Units are tweaked [More powerful defensive units, and some other units are balanced as well.]

Download Link:

File 1
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Fantasy_Empires_patch_v2.5_part11.zip

File 2
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Fantasy_Empires_patch_v2.5_part2.zip

File 3
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/Fantasy_Empires_patch_v2.5_part3.zip

jolwal32
Feb 12, 2003, 02:57 PM
hi ive been really looking forward to a fantasy mod and i DLed yours but i cant seem to get it installed... errors just keep popping up.. anyone else having this problem?

Balrog
Feb 12, 2003, 03:27 PM
Oh sorry, but I must upload all files. It will be like ~12x3 Mb!

I cant do it right now, just tomorrow, so be patient please. :)

*NOTE*!!!!! PLEASE RE-DOWNLOAD FILE 1 TOO! [I rezipped the whole mod, because I cant upload the zxx files, so I made .zips only]

jolwal32
Feb 12, 2003, 05:38 PM
yeah heh i just realized that... feel kind of dumb now :blush:

i'll be sure to check back soon... im looking very forward to trying it out

atreideis
Feb 12, 2003, 09:48 PM
i downloaded all the files and i when i tried to play -- i got text error on sage building---whats up with that? how can i or you fix this? i even tried deleting it and i still got the same exact error

Balrog
Feb 13, 2003, 02:22 AM
Ok guys, ALL of the files are uploaded! Download all of them, extract it to the Civ3ptw/Scenarios directory and you are ready to play!

Please apply the latest PTW patch!

Plexus
Feb 13, 2003, 04:46 AM
Looks good... but I am kinda confused on how you managed to make diffrent kinds of Barbarian camps or are the Spider's Lairs and Dragon's Dens just resources?

Balrog
Feb 13, 2003, 05:10 AM
Yup those are strategic resources. :)

Kinboat
Feb 13, 2003, 10:07 AM
Screenshot looks awesome :)
A few questions for you...
First is this just for PTW (I don't have it so I was wondering before I download a huge file :) )
Second, if I do download it will I have to redownload the whole thing when you post an update or will it just be a smaller patch.
Also I'm planning several things that might come in handy here... A flying attack animation for my dragon unit... A riderless Griffon... and an Ettin and Sea Serpent.

Balrog
Feb 13, 2003, 10:12 AM
Thx Kinboat! Yup this mod works with PTW only. I think you should buy PTW. :) Also the patches will be small. v0.8 is the full version v0.9 etc. will be updates only.

WOW I cant wait for your upcoming awesome units! :goodjob:

Schizo_Angel
Feb 13, 2003, 10:32 AM
Why dont you specify which files are in which zip?

Sa~Craig
Feb 13, 2003, 01:54 PM
this is nice

Balrog
Feb 13, 2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Schizo_Angel
Why dont you specify which files are in which zip?

Just unzip all zips to the same folder. Thats all! :)

Note: I found a bug, it will be fixed in v0.9.

Schizo_Angel
Feb 13, 2003, 02:08 PM
Hmm ...
Well how about telling us what this modpack does?

Balrog
Feb 13, 2003, 02:31 PM
Well this mod changes 'regular' civ3 to a fantasy/medieval game. :)
Almost all thing is customized so the list would be very long. As I said, if you like the genre [fantasy/medieval], download it, and you will see, what I meant. ;)

Balrog
Feb 13, 2003, 02:37 PM
V0.9 patch is out. Its 190k only. Its fixing critical errors, so download it, and unzip it to the scenario directory! [Overwrite existing files if its needed.]

Download link is posted in the files & patches 'section'. :)

Akula
Feb 13, 2003, 02:39 PM
Look's really nice I can't wait to get PTW

jolwal32
Feb 13, 2003, 04:06 PM
im having the sage error also... i already DLed the patch, anyone else having the problem?

china444
Feb 13, 2003, 04:17 PM
Nice :goodjob:

Cobweb
Feb 13, 2003, 06:46 PM
When myself or another player trys to build the oracle I get "missing Pediaicons text, WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Oracle and then boots me out of game. Anyone know how to correct this error? I have searched through the Pediaicons and civilpedia and am unable to find any matching entries.

Balrog
Feb 14, 2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by jolwal32
im having the sage error also... i already DLed the patch, anyone else having the problem?

Sage error? Hm.... Can you explain what you meant? [So I can fix it :)]

Originally posted by Cobweb
When myself or another player trys to build the oracle I get "missing Pediaicons text, WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Oracle and then boots me out of game. Anyone know how to correct this error? I have searched through the Pediaicons and civilpedia and am unable to find any matching entries.

It is fixed in the V0.9b patch! [v0.9b is out so just download it and unzip to the scenario dir.] :)

Please report any bugs! [I think that the mod is 'critical bugfree' now. ;)]

jolwal32
Feb 14, 2003, 02:02 PM
its some error message saying that "sage building" (or sage something) is missing whenever i select the scenario. atreideis near the top of the thread was having the same problem i think.

Balrog
Feb 14, 2003, 02:15 PM
Now this is really odd! You cant even start the scenario???
You meant this building?? - Sage's Tower
If yes, please post the whole error message, so I can figure out whats wrong. Otherwise I never had this problem.
Sage's Tower got civilopedia and pediaicons description too, so it must work perfectly...
Weird!... :(

Are you unpacked all of the zips to the same folder?

Also I found another critical bug, it will be fixed in the next patch.
[Damn its hard to make a bugfree mod! :mad:] Oh well....;)

Balrog
Feb 15, 2003, 07:25 AM
New screenshot - Peaceful Kingdom.

v1.0 is coming soon! I think, that all bugs are fixed, its time to add more new stuff! :)

Raw is War?
Feb 15, 2003, 11:56 AM
This mod looks really cool :goodjob:

Balrog
Feb 15, 2003, 03:12 PM
Thx! Only problem is the big size of the download. :( I cant make it smaller since the unit gfx........

v1.0 patch is out. This patch will contain all previous fixes, so v0.9 and v0.9b will be removed.
Just overwrite all files in the scenario directory!

big fish
Feb 15, 2003, 05:13 PM
i have installed the 13 files and update 2 times and it still crashes on start up ; missing text /ped........./con.bldg.sage,,. i have install all the files ptw scenarios, also i using only 1.04 ptw. what ptw patches are needed? thanks rich.

Plexus
Feb 15, 2003, 05:39 PM
I'm pretty sure you will need 1.14

big fish
Feb 15, 2003, 07:54 PM
i installed 1.14 and reinstalled your patch 1.0 and it still crashes on start up "missing text pedialcons txt icon-blg-sage". do i have reload al 13 files after i installed civ 1.14 or i am still missing something? rich

Lord Arius
Feb 15, 2003, 08:51 PM
This mod looks great... canīt wait for the dl to end :)

PriestOfDiscord
Feb 15, 2003, 10:50 PM
My god this looks fantastic, I hope you keep adding more goodies to it as you get the time. It will be really cool to see such a massive fantasy mod like this with hordes of different units, buildings, techs and such. :goodjob:

Balrog
Feb 16, 2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by richardlshults
i installed 1.14 and reinstalled your patch 1.0 and it still crashes on start up "missing text pedialcons txt icon-blg-sage". do i have reload al 13 files after i installed civ 1.14 or i am still missing something? rich

Odd....You need ptw with the latest patch. After that download the files, decompress all of them to the same directory! Download patch 1.0 and decompress that too, overwrite the files if its needed!

I searched through pediaicons and I found this about the 'sage building' - #ICON_BLDG_Sage

I checked it, and it doesnt contains any errors. [no wrong links etc.]

Are you sure that you installed the scenario properly?

Make a Fantasy Empires folder in the civ3ptw/scenarios and decompress all files to that directory. If you still got this error, please post the exact same error message, what you see when you are starting the scenario.

Thx guys, I will keep updating the mod for sure, so stay tuned. :)

Raw is War?
Feb 16, 2003, 06:37 AM
Balrog,
Would it be possible to make it so that i can download this mod in one big file instead of downloading all the seperate files?

Lord Arius
Feb 16, 2003, 06:46 AM
Yeah, that would be nice... i allways get an error when downloading the last one

Lord Arius
Feb 16, 2003, 07:06 AM
Finnally i managed to get it =)
Gonna test it right now

Edit: Well iīve been playing for some time, it looks very nice although the tech tree looks kinda wierd... :rolleyes:

Balrog
Feb 16, 2003, 08:14 AM
Yea it would be better to put it up as 1 file, but the limit is 3Mb. :(

Yea the tech tree doesnt have 'arrows'. I hadnt got time to implent an 'arrow tech tree'. I think its not that confusing if you check the civilopedia. You will know that what to research next :)

Also I will edit the tech tree. I will add more techs. Example: You research sword crafting + Light infantry armor, you will be able to train swordsman, or when you research advanced sword crafting with medium infantry armor you will be able to train elite swordsman. :)
I always wanted to make a more complicated tech tree, but I hadnt got the right amount of time. Now that the mod is fully playable I can do it. A few days and it will be ready! I will try to make an 'arrow tech tree' too. :king:
Right now I think that the mod has around 45 techs. I want at least 60 or more. Also I will add more improvements. Kinboat is making some new fantasy units, those will be implented too of course! ;)

Bobisback
Feb 16, 2003, 08:36 AM
This is cool mod.I love it :love:

That is...is...beautiful:eek: :love:
Great work:goodjob: ,it's a pity that PTW hasn't released here yet

Balrog
Feb 16, 2003, 09:44 AM
thx guys. I will keep updating it with lot of new stuff, so you all will be excited. :)

Lord Arius
Feb 16, 2003, 12:48 PM
What are the main differences between all the civs?
This may sound stupid, but i noticed most of them share the same UUs

EDIT @ 7:45 GMT : Just noticed that Kingdom of Crixx has no Civilopedia entry

Balrog
Feb 16, 2003, 02:35 PM
Well there 3 culture groups. All culture groups have 3 special units. There are 24 civs, so 24 civs sharing 9 UUs right now.
Note: You must research the 'special units' tech to train the UUs!

I will add more UUs, when I added more techs. :)

Thx for reporting this bug. Its a spelling mistake in civilopedia. [It was Cixx and not Crixx]
I fixed it, v1.1 will contain this fix as well.

I wont release v1.1 until I added the new techs and other stuff so it will be a few days I guess. Everyone can fix this in 2 secs, just rename RACE_CIXX to RACE_CRIXX. :)

As for more UUs...I think additional UUs will come with the v1.2 patch.

Lord Arius
Feb 16, 2003, 06:47 PM
I dont think Pikemen should be so easy to get, i mean, its one of the first techs a civ can research.
Having pikemen defending cities right in the beggining makes conquest a lot harder... When i finally got Swordsmen, all my neighbours had 2/3 pikemen defending their cities making my job quite difficult.
I noticed that Horsemen are a bit stronger, but horses are nowhere to be found...

I think that if you want to keep the pikemen in that position in the tech tree, you should provide a counter unit.

Just a thought =)

Lord Arius
Feb 16, 2003, 07:43 PM
I was playing for a while, and i finally managed to research monarchy.
After the research was over i went to the domestic advisor and started a revolution.
1 turn later i was asked which type of government i wanted, and surprise, i could choose all types of government, from tyranny to Satrapy! :eek:
I dont know if this is a bug or if this was somehow influentiated (this word exists?? :)) by some building or wonder...

UPDATE: Yep, i think we have a bug here, because if i start a revolution in the first turn i can choose Satrapy in the next turn :king:

Bobisback
Feb 17, 2003, 06:02 AM
No it's not a bug. He made it that way.

Lord Arius
Feb 17, 2003, 07:04 AM
So, whats the point of researching monarchy etc?

Balrog
Feb 17, 2003, 07:29 AM
Err hum it must be a bug. I will check it out. This is odd btw. Satrapy is in Era 3, and Monarcy is in Era 2!

*5mins later*
Its fixed! ;) v1.1 is coming soon, it will contain this fix too of course!

I think you can find lot of horses on the map, but you need Animal Lore to be able to see them. :)
You must expand your territories to get the strategic resources! You dont have horses? Your neighbour prolly have it! Fight for it or try to trade the resources! I made this with a purpose. I never liked to see 3 strategic resources in 6 tiles hehe.
Its not that hard to get swordsman btw.

Yup I will balance the techs, so it wont be that easy to get pikeman! However the AI is ALWAYS starting with more techs on Regent diff. level, so it will have pikeman pretty soon.
Its not that bad, this is good against rushes. => more strategy and diplomacy is needed to conquer.

Btw I think my mod makes civ3 LOT harder to play. AI is kicking ass. I hadnt got time to play too much [I will have mor e time soon], but on Regent the AI in this mod is lot better than in the normal Civ3 games.

If any of you will find a tiny bug even, please report it.

Lord Arius
Feb 17, 2003, 10:13 AM
I agree... the AI is much tougher in your mod :)

Edit: Just lost a game in Warlord difficulty :eek: :cry: :cry: :eek:

Balrog
Feb 17, 2003, 02:06 PM
Yup I think its impossible to beat the AI on Deity. Even on regent, the AI is decent. I think I know the secret, that how to make the AI to act like this! :D

Lord Arius
Feb 17, 2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Balrog
I think you can find lot of horses on the map, but you need Animal Lore to be able to see them. :)

I just started a new map, and i can see horses without having Animal Lore. :confused: And btw, if one is supposed to see horses only after having animal lore, why is the horseback riding research before (in the tech tree) the animal lore ? :egypt:

Ed O'War
Feb 17, 2003, 11:08 PM
Balrog, this is a very interesting mod. I'm looking forward to the next version.

Hopefully you'll be able to fix the following in time for the next version, if it hasn't already been fixed: I was fairly far along through the second era and working on the Great Library. When I finished it, I got the following error message which caused the game to close down:

Error Reading File
"Missing entry in Scenarios\..\Scenarios\Fantasy Empires\text\PediaIcons.txt"
WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Great_Library

You may also want to consider having Chariot upgrade to War Chariot and Horseman to upgrade to Lancer (this is a far as I got tonight, but I assume the upgrade chain continues on to more powerful mounted units). Having a bunch of obsolete units available really clutters up the city build queue (maybe this has already been addressed in the next version).

I also noticed that I got Longbowman before I got Swordsman. Offensively Longbowman is superior to Swordsman, so shouldn't Swordsman come first? Just wondering about this.

Also, I noticed on some of the mountain graphics when you have a lone mountain in jungle, there's a small patch of pink in the corner. I don't know how easy it would be to track that down and fix it, and it isn't that big of a deal, but I thought I should mention it anyways.

A final suggestion: you should have more fantasy type units earlier in the game, especially in the first era. I'm not saying that you need to have dragons in the first era, but it just seemed to me that a fantasy mod should have more fantasy units. One idea is to use Orcs/Goblins (or some other type of monster) as barbarians instead of normal archers and horsemen (someone did a color conversion job on the warrior to make Orcs). This might work to give it a little bit more of a fantasy feel, especially early on.

Hope this helps you. I look forward to the next update. Great job! :)

Lord Arius
Feb 18, 2003, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Ed O'War
I also noticed that I got Longbowman before I got Swordsman. Offensively Longbowman is superior to Swordsman, so shouldn't Swordsman come first? Just wondering about this.

I also think its too easy to get longbowmen and pikemen, since pikemen are excellent defending units and longbowmen are very good attacking units, and both come too soon in the game.
I think that swordsmen should appear before longbowmen and pikemen should be a little harder to get (as i mentioned before, its one of the first techs to research)

Just thoughts, though :)

Balrog
Feb 18, 2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Lord Arius

I just started a new map, and i can see horses without having Animal Lore. :confused: And btw, if one is supposed to see horses only after having animal lore, why is the horseback riding research before (in the tech tree) the animal lore ? :egypt:

Ooops I was wrong. :crazyeye:
You can see horses with The Wheel tech!

with Animal Lore you will able to see the various special resources like Dragons Cave, Griffins Nest etc. :)

Originally posted by Ed O'War
Balrog, this is a very interesting mod. I'm looking forward to the next version.

Hopefully you'll be able to fix the following in time for the next version, if it hasn't already been fixed: I was fairly far along through the second era and working on the Great Library. When I finished it, I got the following error message which caused the game to close down:

Error Reading File
"Missing entry in Scenarios\..\Scenarios\Fantasy Empires\text\PediaIcons.txt"
WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Great_Library

You may also want to consider having Chariot upgrade to War Chariot and Horseman to upgrade to Lancer (this is a far as I got tonight, but I assume the upgrade chain continues on to more powerful mounted units). Having a bunch of obsolete units available really clutters up the city build queue (maybe this has already been addressed in the next version).

Also, I noticed on some of the mountain graphics when you have a lone mountain in jungle, there's a small patch of pink in the corner. I don't know how easy it would be to track that down and fix it, and it isn't that big of a deal, but I thought I should mention it anyways.

A final suggestion: you should have more fantasy type units earlier in the game, especially in the first era. I'm not saying that you need to have dragons in the first era, but it just seemed to me that a fantasy mod should have more fantasy units. One idea is to use Orcs/Goblins (or some other type of monster) as barbarians instead of normal archers and horsemen (someone did a color conversion job on the warrior to make Orcs). This might work to give it a little bit more of a fantasy feel, especially early on.

Hope this helps you. I look forward to the next update. Great job! :)

- That error is fixed. v1.0 patch contains this fix, so just download it. :)
- Yup I will balance units. I noticed these problems too. As I said I will add more detailed techs like sword crafting, axe crafting etc.
Example: You will have to research sword crafting and armor smithing to build swordsman.
- Yup I wanna add more fantasy units, but there are no more decent fantasy unit animations left if Im correct. I will add Kinboats latest elven units somehow + the upcoming BALROG as well!
Woot! Daemon Summoning! :goodjob:
-About that little pink error: its a gfx error in the terrain graphics, what the mod is using. I will try to fix that as well.

v1.1 will be a big update, so it will take some days to make it. :)

Lord Arius
Feb 18, 2003, 06:08 AM
Canīt wait to put my hands on it :)

Ed O'War
Feb 18, 2003, 09:24 AM

- That error is fixed. v1.0 patch contains this fix, so just download it. :)

I'm pretty sure I was using the v1.0 patch, but I'll double check to make sure I wasn't using an earlier version.

Balrog
Feb 18, 2003, 02:10 PM
v1.0 - pediaicons -> #WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Great_Library
art\wonder splash\GrtLibrary.pcx

This is a correct link. I think you forgot to overwrite the pediaicons.txt :)

Balrog
Feb 18, 2003, 02:10 PM
*Oops double post. :eek:*

Ed O'War
Feb 18, 2003, 08:18 PM
v1.0 - pediaicons -> #WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Great_Library
art\wonder splash\GrtLibrary.pcx

This is a correct link. I think you forgot to overwrite the pediaicons.txt :)

Ah, okay. I'll double check to make sure I have the correct pediaicons.txt. Thanks.

Bobisback
Feb 19, 2003, 10:07 AM
I like the idea of adding Orcs that wood be cool. The Giant Spider and Centaur need to be stronger. I agree with Lord Arius you should not get the longbowmen and pikemen that early on.

BTW there is a missing leader head. I don't no what leader head it is. I will try to find out though. :(

Balrog
Feb 19, 2003, 10:35 AM
I think it was the Crixx leaderhead. Thats fixed as well! :)

Guys have no worries, BIG update is coming with around +20 new techs. You will be able to train pikeman or swordsman in the same time, depends on your research!

Example:
You must research Sword Crafting, Shield making and Light Infantry Armor to train Swordsman.
You must research Light Infantry Armor and Pike Making to train Pikeman.
etc.
[all of those above are new techs ;)]

Also I will add new barbarian units + some other units as well.

As I said this will be a BIG update, so maybe I will repack the whole mod and you all must download it again. I will remove a few unit(s) if true [example: 1 mercenary unit], so its almost sure, that I will have to repack it.
I think almost all of us have at least DSL or Cable so its a few mins. :)
I think I found a fast free host, where the max allowed filesize is 40Mb, so there will be only 1 file to download! :) [Max. 2, I dont know how many new units will be added.]

Bobisback
Feb 19, 2003, 11:02 AM
I think you should put the Multi-Figured Centaur in the mod.;) that wood be cool

big fish
Feb 19, 2003, 10:03 PM
great mod however it end too soon, would like to play longer with more advancement, but it still great. when you update please make it 2 or 3 zip files , not all of us live in big cities with cable thanks richard

Balrog
Feb 19, 2003, 11:50 PM
end soon? You cant be serious! Playing this mod takes lot more time, than playing with regular civ3! :) Also its LOT more hard to beat the AI as well! Even on Regent level, the AI is decent, thx to the balancing and tweaking.

However Im adding around 20 new techs, units, etc so stay tuned.

There will be 1 big file to download hopefully. ~40 Mb.

Balrog
Feb 20, 2003, 02:51 PM
*Progress Report v1.1*

-Mercenary Swordsman is removed
-Mercenary Knight is removed
-New Units are added:
-Barbarian Warrior is added as basic barbarian unit

-Lot of high quality icons are added to the Civilopedia
-Units are balanced and tweaked
- Armor Smithing [Era 1]
- Sword Crafting [Era 1]
- Bowcrafting [Era 1]
- Pike Making [Era 1]
- Shield Making [Era 1]
- The Swordsman [Era 1]
- The Bowman [Era 1]
- The Pikeman [Era 1]

-Civilopedia is updated
-Civilization Advances are balanced
-Various bugs are fixed
-Science Advisor Screen is updated [Arrows are added to link the advances]

Lot of new stuff is coming. v1.1 is far from complete. I will post more news soon. :)

Lord Arius
Feb 20, 2003, 04:19 PM
Alright! =) I just want to have my hands on it

xerxes501
Feb 20, 2003, 10:25 PM
I am trying to get this mod to work and I keep getting a message about the sage tower not working. As I do not think it is your mod, could you please explain in detail where to extract all the files and what to do. I thought I followed your instructions to the hilt but if I extract all files to ptw/scenario folder it does not work. So then I tried to extract them insides their own folder the scenario directory. Please help, I have not clue what to do.

X

Balrog
Feb 21, 2003, 05:56 AM
1. Make sure that you have PTW and you patched it to the latest available version.

2. Make a folder 'Fantasy Empires' in the Civ3ptw\Scenarios directory.

3. Unzip all files to the directory.

4. Download the v1.0 patch and unzip that to the directory. [Overwrite the old files]

5. You are ready to play! :)

PS. v1.1 will be a full download, since im adding and deleting lot of stuff.

xerxes501
Feb 21, 2003, 09:16 AM
I did that, but for some odd reason it does not work. Thank you for the reply. The only other question I had is: do I have to separate each type of file and divide into its own categories within the scenario directory, like they do with the regular fles for civ3.

example: art/units/archer or text/civlopedia/pediaicons

thank you, X

Balrog
Feb 21, 2003, 10:40 AM
Well, all files are categorized in the mod. All you have to do is to unzip all .zips into the Fantasy Empires directory.

Balrog
Feb 21, 2003, 10:47 AM
*Progress Report v1.1*

-Mercenary Swordsman is removed
-Mercenary Knight is removed
-New Units are added:
-Barbarian Warrior is added as basic barbarian unit

-Lot of high quality icons are added to the Civilopedia
- Armor Smithing [Era 1]
- Sword Crafting [Era 1]
- Bowcrafting [Era 1]
- Pike Making [Era 1]
- Shield Making [Era 1]
- The Swordsman [Era 1]
- The Bowman [Era 1]
- The Pikeman [Era 1]

-Civilopedia is updated
-Various bugs are fixed

*Update*

--New Civilization Advances are added:
- Weapon Crafting -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Axe Making [Era 2]
- Cavalry Armor [Era 2]
- The Axeman [Era 2]
- The Longbowman [Era 2]
- The Lancer [Era 2]
- The Halberdier [Era 2]

-New high quality icons are added

Wow.....23 new techs so far.
More updates coming soon! :)

Isak
Feb 21, 2003, 11:54 AM
This looks very good - looking forward to actually trying it when I get some time (I've just been looking through the bix for now - I seem to play most of my games that way :D )

This game has been badly in need of some huge Medieval Fantasy mods for some time, and it looks like you've done something serious about that problem. :goodjob:

Wi1d
Feb 21, 2003, 02:02 PM
Wow. I just now ran into this mod pack. The screen shots are awsome. Gonna put this on my "to play" list.

Bobisback
Feb 21, 2003, 07:22 PM
This is a cool mod I love it. :love: I can't wait for that patch. :wallbash:

PriestOfDiscord
Feb 21, 2003, 10:01 PM
end soon? You cant be serious! Playing this mod takes lot more time, than playing with regular civ3! :) Also its LOT more hard to beat the AI as well! Even on Regent level, the AI is decent, thx to the balancing and tweaking.

However Im adding around 20 new techs, units, etc so stay tuned.Too much of a good thing is just plain fallacy. :D

Feel free to strech it out as long as you want, I personally enjoy going through a very long development/military game, with all the techs and units that go with it.

Balrog
Feb 22, 2003, 02:12 AM
Thx guys!

Oh yes, with the new added techs, my mod will have more Advances, than the original game! :D

Also I plan to add more improvements with unique gfx etc.

As I said v1.1 will be a huge update, so be patient plz. [If I would have more time to work on it.....but I have lotsa work in these days... :crazyeye:]

Sir John
Feb 22, 2003, 03:20 PM
I will download this very soon (my internett conection isnt working properly righ now). Its sounds absoulutely amazing...

Why dont you talk to thunderfall and ask about getting a one-file download like The Tolkien Mod did. This is a great mod so im sure thunderfall will say yes.

Hygro
Feb 23, 2003, 01:24 AM
Wait... I'm too excited to read all of this... is this based on the actual Silicon Knight's game, Fantasy Empires?

Balrog
Feb 23, 2003, 02:10 AM
Nop I never played with that.

Actually I made a scenario for Civ2 ToT called Fantasy Empires.
I decided to make a proper fantasy/medieval scenario for PtW. thats the story.

Ok I will ask Thunderfall too. :)

Hygro
Feb 23, 2003, 02:33 AM
Fantasy Empires is about the coolest turned-based strategy game ever (with realtime battles).

I realised it wasn't based on it when I looked back and saw things like dragons and cavalry (everyone in that game was on foot).

However, it still looks fun.

Lachlan
Feb 23, 2003, 05:42 AM
Why don't ask Thunderfall for an unique download of your mod ??? Because repeat 14x the download is hard ....

Balrog
Feb 23, 2003, 06:49 AM
Yup I sent an email already!

*Progress Report v1.1*

-New strategic resource is added: Wood Elf Village. [With this resource the players
will be able to train the Wood Elven units.]

-New Units are added: - Barbarian Warrior is added as basic barbarian unit
- Halberdier
- Wood Elf Warrior [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village will be required to train the unit]
- Wood Elf Archer [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village will be required to train the unit]
- Forestguard [Wood Elven unit];[Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village will be required to train the unit]

^
*NOTE* Thx to Kinboat for the awesome Elven unit gfx!

-Units removed:
- Mercenary Knight
- Mercenary Swordsman

-Lot of high quality icons are added to the Civilopedia. All advances have custom icons now!

- Armor Smithing [Era 1]
- Sword Crafting [Era 1]
- Bowcrafting [Era 1]
- Pike Making [Era 1]
- Shield Making [Era 1]
- The Swordsman [Era 1]
- The Bowman [Era 1]
- The Pikeman [Era 1]
- Weapon Crafting -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Axe Making [Era 2]
- Cavalry Armor [Era 2]
- The Axeman [Era 2]
- The Longbowman [Era 2]
- The Lancer [Era 2]
- The Halberdier [Era 2]

-Civilopedia is updated

-Various bugs are fixed

I plan to add Orc Camps as strategic resource, so the players will be able to train Orcs. Also I will add a new advance to Era 1 and Era 2, and it will allow to train the Orcs and Elves. Beast Mastery isnt the perfect advance for these new units.

Era 3 and Era 4 will have lot of new advances too, so have no worries.
Also lot of new stuff is coming! :)

If someone could help in 1 thing, I would be really happy. I wanna replace the jungles with some other 'forest type'.
If someone could make a decent gfx for it, that would be really good. I will try to make it however.......

Bobisback
Feb 23, 2003, 08:14 AM
If someone could help in 1 thing, I would be really happy. I wanna replace the jungles with some other 'forest type'.

What are you looking for.;) I think they look great the way they are.:)

Balrog
Feb 23, 2003, 09:50 AM
Hum....jungle isnt bad, but I dont like it. Jungles in a fantasy mod.....nah. :rolleyes:

Hm I want some new forest type. Dunno what kind yet hehe. :D

Sir John
Feb 23, 2003, 11:51 AM
what about having a "forest of light", a kind of holy forest and a "forest of death" a kind of unholy forest. Ive seen that in a game called age of wonders, its pretty cool... =D

Kinboat
Feb 23, 2003, 12:16 PM
I was just thinking it would be cool to change the jungle into a Mirkwood setting... Dark with lots of spiderwebs

Sir John
Feb 23, 2003, 12:24 PM
I dont now if its possible to add another terrain type (so thats its more terrain types). If it isnt then you could settle with only two sea terrains...

Neomega
Feb 23, 2003, 01:51 PM
How about swamp..... fantasy lands always have black bogs teeming with evil......

PriestOfDiscord
Feb 23, 2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Neomega
How about swamp..... fantasy lands always have black bogs teeming with evil...... Yeah, that would be fantastic.

Balrog
Feb 23, 2003, 02:33 PM
Hmmm....yea dark woods with spiderwebs. Good idea.
Swamp is a good idea as well. Maybe some enchanted forest....

Im still hesitating hehe. :)
Well first I must find a source to make. [I have a few ideas, so stay tuned :D]

Balrog
Feb 25, 2003, 02:27 AM
Little update:

v1.1 is soon finished. Its hard work, so sorry for the delay. :)
I added the Era 3 new techs + unique icons for them!

About the new 'forest'. I think I will make this for 1.2, since it will take a lot time, to make it perfect. Im still hesitating that what to make: Wastelands, Swamp, some kind of enchanted forest.....
This will be a hard decision hehe.

More news coming soon. ;)

PriestOfDiscord
Feb 25, 2003, 08:09 PM
A desolate wasteland enviorment or dark bog/swamp would both be good options. I didn't even think of wasteland until you brought up the idea, but it work well. Either would lend to an enviroment for 'evil' resources to come from.

Balrog
Feb 26, 2003, 02:49 AM
WOW guys you all will be excited! I think I should call the upcoming release Fantasy Empires 2.0, because it will contain LOT of updates, additions etc.

I added 40! new techs so far, with unique - high quality civilopedia icons, 11 new units [Balrog, Ballista, Trebuchet, Elves etc] - [I will add a few more], improved road, irrigation and rivers gfx, and much more!

The mod is coming out very soon. I HAD to repack the mod, since lot of stuff deleted, updated, added. However it will be 1-2 big files instead of 15 little files! :cool:

Bobisback
Feb 26, 2003, 08:21 AM
release it. :whipped: You are diving me nuts.

Balrog
Feb 27, 2003, 02:15 AM
Ok the next release will be v2.0. I added lot of new contents, so the mod deserved it. :D

Anyways, the making of 2.0 will last longer, than I expected. What is left? I must edit the civilopedia, add like 10 more icons, balance the new units. I will add the new 'forest' gfx to a later patch.
I will post new screenshots as well. The download will be ~45Mb thx to the new units..

2.0 is coming, so be ready! :king:

Balrog
Feb 27, 2003, 03:43 PM
New screenshot from Fantasy Empires 2.0! - Some new icons from the Civilopedia [Not all of them, these are just examples]

The screenshot is in the 'screenshot section'. [The first post in the thread ;)]

More screenshots are coming soon. :)

Bobisback
Feb 27, 2003, 05:00 PM
the screenshot\icons are awsome.:)

PriestOfDiscord
Feb 27, 2003, 10:57 PM
The wait is easier for the restless mob with such pretty pictures. :goodjob:

Balrog
Feb 28, 2003, 10:15 AM
Ok right now, Fantasy Empires 2.0 will have 84 techs, and ALL of them got own civilopedia icons! All of them high quality icons, like you can see on screenshot #1.

Maybe I will add few more.
Hmmm whats left to do in 2.0?
Right now im editing civilopedia and updating some gfx.
After that Im adding the arrows to the civilopedia, sp the advances will be linked finally.

This is hard work guys, so please be patient, but you all will excited when 2.0 is ready, thats for sure! :cool:

Yoda Power
Feb 28, 2003, 10:25 AM
I really like your icons Balrog, do you mind if i steal some of them and use them in MEM?

Balrog
Feb 28, 2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Yoda Power
I really like your icons Balrog, do you mind if i steal some of them and use them in MEM?

Na its ok Yoda! Just use them, if you want. :)

"The Master"
Mar 02, 2003, 12:24 AM
May I use some of your graphics (like the civilopedia icons at the top of the page) in my mod?

Balrog
Mar 02, 2003, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by "The Master"
May I use some of your graphics (like the civilopedia icons at the top of the page) in my mod? +

Sure its ok! :)

Balrog
Mar 02, 2003, 07:45 AM
Hum, well if you ask me, its better to make your own icons, than use some from an other Civ3 mod.
But as I said, its ok if you wanna use them. :)

Good news! Fantasy Empires 2.0 will be released tomorrow!
I will post more details, that what is changed later today. :king:

Telgar
Mar 02, 2003, 07:38 PM
Balrog, really great looking work. I can only imagine the amount of work you must have put into this Fantasy Mod. The screenshots look fantastic. This must have been a labor of love. I can really appreciate all the work you put into this. This kind of stuff takes alot of time and hard work. Thank you for sharing your mod with everyone.

You da man! :worshp: :worshp: :worshp:

Looks great! Tastes great! Must be great!!! :goodjob:

Telgar.....[dance]

Balrog
Mar 02, 2003, 11:43 PM
Hehe thx Telgar. :)
Yup its hard work, but making a gfx mod, like yours is propably even harder! [Im not a gfx guru.]

v2.0 will be ready today, there will be a temporal download site, Thunderfall will put the mod up as 1 file to the civfanatics servers very soon! :)

Balrog
Mar 03, 2003, 03:25 PM
Doh the temp host wasnt too good... Im searching for another. Sorry for the delay lads. :mad:

Balrog
Mar 04, 2003, 06:24 AM
New Fantasy Empires v2.0 Screenshots!

You can find them in the screenshots section. [#1. post in the thread :)] -> http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=770386#post770386

Bobisback
Mar 04, 2003, 06:27 AM
I like the screenshots you put up I hope you are releasing Fantasy Empires 2.0 today. :)

Balrog
Mar 04, 2003, 07:54 AM
FANTASY EMPIRES v2.0 is ready!

Download link is in the Downloads section. [#2. post in the thread] ->http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=770407#post770407

What's new in Fantasy Empires v2.0?

New strategic resources are added:

- Wood Elf Village. [With this resource the players will be able to train the Wood Elven units.]

- Magic Node [This resource will be needed to summon specific units.]

- Orc Camp [This resource will be needed to recruit orcs.]

New Units are added:

- Barbarian Warrior is added as basic barbarian unit; [New .flc gfx]

- Barbarian Rider is added as advanced barbarian unit; [New .flc gfx]

- Halberdier [Era 2]

- Wood Elf Warrior [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village and The Elves advance is required to train the unit]

- Wood Elf Archer [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village and The Elves advance is required to train the unit]

- Forestguard [Wood Elven unit]; [Strategic Resource - Wood Elf Village and The Elves advance is required to train the unit]

- Axeman with new .flc animations; [Era 2]

- Crossbowman [Era 3]

- Daemon [Daemon Portal advance and the Magic Node strategic resource is required to build the unit]; [Era 4]

- Dark Knight [Dark Portal advance and the Magic Node strategic resource is required to build the unit]; [Era 3]

- Ballista [Siege Weaponry advance is required to build the unit]; [Era 2]

- Trebuchet [Siege Weaponry -Master Level is required to build the unit]; [Era 3]

- Orc Warrior [Orc Camp strategic resource and The Orcs advance is required to build the unit]

^
*NOTE* Big thanks to Kinboat for the awesome Elven, Griffon, Balrog and other units!

Units removed:

- Mercenary Knight
- Mercenary Swordsman

Lot of high quality icons are added to the Civilopedia.

Units are balanced and tweaked

Civilization Advance renamed: -Siege Weapons -> Siege Weaponry

New Civilization Advances are added:

- Armor Smithing [Era 1]
- Sword Crafting [Era 1]
- Bowcrafting [Era 1]
- Pike Making [Era 1]
- Shield Making [Era 1]
- The Swordsman [Era 1]
- The Bowman [Era 1]
- The Pikeman [Era 1]
- The Horseman [Era 1]
- Chariot Construction [Era 1]

-Weapon Crafting -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Axe Making [Era 2]
- Cavalry Armor [Era 2]
- The Axeman [Era 2]
- The Longbowman [Era 2]
- The Lancer [Era 2]
- The Halberdier [Era 2]
- War Chariot Construction [Era 2]
- Siege Weaponry -Advanced Level [Era 2]
- Foreign Races [Era 2]
- The Orcs [Era 2]
- The Elves [Era 2]

- Weapon Crafting -Master Level [Era 3]
- Armor Smithing -Master Level [Era 3]
- Heavy Infantry Weaponry [Era 3]
- Heavy Cavalry Weaponry [Era 3]
- Heavy Infantry Armor [Era 3]
- Heavy Cavalry Armor [Era 3]
- Shield Making -Master Level [Era 3]
- Crossbow Making [Era 3]
- The Knight [Era 3]
- The Elite Heavy Infantry [Era 3]
- Dark Portal [Era 3]
- Siege Weaponry -Master Level [Era 3]

- Daemons Gate [Era 4]

Satrapy is now an Era 4 advance

Civilization Advances Removed:

- Infantry Weapons
- Advanced Infantry Weapons
- Elite Infantry Weapons
- Advanced Cavalry Training

Civilopedia is updated
Civilization Advances are balanced
Rules are balanced
Various bugs are fixed

Science Advisor Screen is updated [Arrows are added to link the advances]

New 'Rivers' terrain gfx
Updated 'Roads' terrain gfx

New Centaur's Den [Strategic Resource] gfx
New Mercenary Keep [Strategic Resource] gfx
New Giant Spider's Lair [Strategic Resource] gfx
Updated Dragon's Cave [Strategic Resource] gfx
Updated Griffin's Nest [Strategic Resource] gfx

Updated and categorized Units.xls

Bobisback
Mar 04, 2003, 08:07 AM
I can't download the parts. it says it's downloading but it's not.:confused:

Raw is War?
Mar 04, 2003, 08:20 AM
Err Balrog,
When i download v2.0 i seem to be getting a VERY poor transfer rate (e.g. 0.5kb/s, 858bites/s) and I have broadband, so i was wondering if it is your site or there is just summat weired going on?

Bobisback
Mar 04, 2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Raw is War?
Err Balrog,
When i download v2.0 i seem to be getting a VERY poor transfer rate (e.g. 0.5kb/s, 858bites/s) and I have broadband, so i was wondering if it is your site or there is just summat weired going on?

Same with me.;)

Balrog
Mar 04, 2003, 09:02 AM
Damn its prolly because its a local free [Hungarian] host. Im getting the files with 200 kb/sec.....The downloading speed is propably screwed abroad. :mad:

I emailed to Thunderfall to put up the files to the Civfanatics server. :)

Bobisback
Mar 04, 2003, 09:16 AM
yeah. :yeah: I can't wait to play it.:)

Balrog
Mar 04, 2003, 02:09 PM
Hehe you will like it.

Oh yes one thing. If any of you will have suggestions, that what to change or tweak, post it here, or send me a mail. :)

Balrog
Mar 04, 2003, 02:59 PM
Ok guys, Thunderfall cant download the v2.0 files, because the host is damn slow abroad. I will take down the links.

New download link will be up tomorrow. It will be a temporal but fast free host. After that Thunderfall will download it, and he will put the mod up to the Civfanatics server! :)

Bobisback
Mar 04, 2003, 05:13 PM
can't you email Thunderfall the files.:rolleyes:

PriestOfDiscord
Mar 05, 2003, 01:35 AM
It's hard to think of ways to put in civ features like railroads and etc. to fit or be altered into the context of a mod like this, but I think I might have found an acceptable solution for nukes.

How bout changing them into spells of some sort? My idea would involve using a Tactical Nuke as a "Death Cloud" or something similar. The range could be something like 8 or 10. A conventional missile could be used in this way as well, something like a "Meteor Strike" spell. An unlimited range ICBM like weapon would probably be too much for something like this.

Perhaps going a step further, land or even sea units could be tagged with the carry only missile command. These units would be wizards and other spellcasters, to be able to carry these powerful spells. Obviously these would all be in the final eras.

Just an idea I came with just now way late at night. Hope you consider it. :D

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 02:47 AM
Yup very good idea! I was thinking to make a "spell unit", like fireball or something [+Advanced versions like your idea -Death Cloud etc.]. The only problem is that there are no flc animations for it. :(

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 04:39 AM
New download link!

I think its fast now! [Also its only 1 file] Time to download! :goodjob:

The link is in the Files & Patches section. :)

aaglo
Mar 05, 2003, 05:08 AM
Wow... talk about commitment to the cause. You seem to have lots of time in your hands.

This mod looks very good :goodjob:

zulu9812
Mar 05, 2003, 05:47 AM
I clicked on the d/l link and I was taken to a Lycos page with this message:
You try to download this file from a member page hosted by Tripod for free :

http://members.lycos.co.uk/balrog0223/Fantasy Empires v2.0.zip

To access this file, you need to visit the member page :
http://members.lycos.co.uk/balrog0223
(you will be redirected in 5s)

I am then taken back to the original page.

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 06:02 AM
Well, Im making this mod for weeks now. It was like 1 hour / day. :)

Zulu - load up the website :
http://members.lycos.co.uk/balrog0223
Click on the download link, but before that, turn off all download accelerators like GetRight, DAC, GoZilla etc.

Sir John
Mar 05, 2003, 06:04 AM
I cant wait to get home from my vacation and download this great mod. Can you post more screenshots??

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 06:06 AM
Yup I will post more in-game screenshots soon. :)

Right now im trying to make a new forest gfx to replace this damed jungle! This wont be easy but oh well. :D

zulu9812
Mar 05, 2003, 06:38 AM
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Lycos.jpg

Sir John
Mar 05, 2003, 07:16 AM
what webbrowser do you use, zulu??

Piernik
Mar 05, 2003, 07:34 AM
the same problem:(

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 08:32 AM
ROAR AND ROAR! :mad: :mad:

I received a mail from lycos.uk, that my website was abusive!
Isnt this funny? They deleted my site...GEEZ!
I mean the site doesnt even had contents, how could it be abusive? Oh well........

Im uploading the file again to lycos.fr this time.

jolwal32
Mar 05, 2003, 09:25 AM
hi, im working on a "wheel of time" fantasy mod and im a bit lacking on civ advance and building graphics. i just wanted to see if it was ok if i used yours for the time being, i plan on eventually making my own but i'd like to release it as soon as possible. thanks

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by jolwal32
hi, im working on a "wheel of time" fantasy mod and im a bit lacking on civ advance and building graphics. i just wanted to see if it was ok if i used yours for the time being, i plan on eventually making my own but i'd like to release it as soon as possible. thanks

Ok but its better to make your own, or the fantasy mods wont be unique. :)

Ok guys I uploaded the Fe 2.0 to lycos.fr [Im fixing the link in the Files and patches section too] ->

http://membres.lycos.fr/energyvortex/

Bobisback
Mar 05, 2003, 10:28 AM
about time. :)

EDIT: I love it, it's so cool no beyond cool it's AWSOME. :love:

big fish
Mar 05, 2003, 10:46 AM
i can not find the file to upload ,the site is not in english, can you give me the exact link to upload, the mod is great , thanks richard

Raw is War?
Mar 05, 2003, 12:21 PM
The new link doesn't work for me :(

medwynn
Mar 05, 2003, 12:52 PM
Not getting anything out of the French link either.

Bobisback
Mar 05, 2003, 01:43 PM
am I the only person that downloaded this.

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 02:18 PM
Ok I give up........Lycos deleted this site as well. It seems that using these free hosts is a pain in the (_)(_). I mean there is 50Mb free webspace without filesize limit! I DONT GET IT, that whats the problem with hosting a 41 Mb file!

If someone knows a good free host who wont delete the file, than tell me.

Lachlan
Mar 05, 2003, 02:44 PM
www.free.fr for example but you must wait 7/15 days to have the pass and login --> 100 free Mo for hosting

but you must understand the french ...

You can have 1,2,3,4 ... spaceweb in Free.fr and they don't delete ! Serious Host :)

Are you american, french, german, english ... ???

I'm french :scan:

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 02:50 PM
Check out Location in my profile. :)
Im from Hungary.

I think I cant register here. They need phone number etc. Its accepting french phone numbers for example...

zulu9812
Mar 05, 2003, 03:30 PM
The problem with Lycos is that they don't like you using the free stuff purely as file storage: they like 'complete' sites.

Balrog
Mar 05, 2003, 03:37 PM
Yea I noticed that lol.

Anyways Thunderfall solved my problem. :) Tomorrow the file will be uploaded to Civfanatics so stay tuned.

Lachlan
Mar 06, 2003, 02:26 AM
For www.free.fr

The french number telephone is formated as follow :
01xxxxxxxx
02xxxxxxxx
03xxxxxxxx
04xxxxxxxx
05xxxxxxxx

Example (fictive number) :

04 : Zone (5 Zones in France)
93 : Department (96 department in France)
560978 : No idea how determinate it

Enjoy !

When a website ask me for a number, in US or AUS, i invent it !

Balrog
Mar 06, 2003, 02:07 PM
Thx for the help Lachlan, but FE 2.0 is on Civfanatics now! :)

Thx to Thunderfall for his help!

Ok guys here is the final link for Fantasy Empires v2.0

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/modpack/Fantasy_Empires_v2.zip

GO AND DOWNLOAD! :D

xerxes501
Mar 06, 2003, 03:14 PM
I still have issues with trying to get this mod to work. Are the files all supposed to sub-catagorized already (like Art/units....etc) or do we have to put them in order. Because my winzip just gives me a big list of all the files in the zip, then I place it in in a Fantasy Empires folder in the scenario section of PTW (which I think you told me to do before) and it just doesnt work out so well (some files want to overwrite similar files, so I know something is up). What am I doing wrong? Please help! :confused:

X

Lachlan
Mar 06, 2003, 03:55 PM
And the PTW version ? I want the PTW version :(
Not a simple Civ3 Version :cry: !

Before you uploaded two versions : Civ 3 and PTW ...
And, it had only Civ 3 version :confused:

Balrog
Mar 07, 2003, 07:04 AM
Guys Fantasy Empires is for PTW ONLY! :)

You must unzip all stuff to the scenarios [Ergo you will have a Fantasy Empires directory]. After that copy the Fantasy Empires.bix to the main scenario folder, and you are ready to play. :cool:

Balrog
Mar 07, 2003, 07:05 AM
Oh yes. I think I will update the archer units. They will be bombard units after the next patch. [Dont worry that patch will be small :D]

Lachlan
Mar 07, 2003, 12:47 PM
Can you make a PTW version ? And upload it ?
Or re-upload it because i can't download it !

And for love of god : make a PTW version for numerous PTW users :love: !

Mendax
Mar 07, 2003, 02:23 PM
Balrog: this mod is fantastic ;) , really.....

but..., is there any chance for an update from old, 1.0 version?? not everyone (like me) can download again ~41.5 MB...

Thunderfall
Mar 07, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Lachlan
Can you make a PTW version ? And upload it ?
Or re-upload it because i can't download it !
There was a network outage a few hours ago but the file server should be working again now.

Balrog
Mar 07, 2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Mendax
Balrog: this mod is fantastic ;) , really.....

but..., is there any chance for an update from old, 1.0 version?? not everyone (like me) can download again ~41.5 MB...

Mendax, sorry but cant make it. Why? Because I deleted units, added LOT of units, updated almost all gfx, etc.

Just download 2.0. After that there will small tiny patches only, have no worries. :)

Lachlan - Fantasy Empires is for PtW! The scenario file is Fantasy Empires.bix as well -> Its for PtW. :)

big fish
Mar 07, 2003, 09:16 PM
just one more time, do you load 2.0 over the exsisting 1.0 or do i delete folder with 1.0 and start over with 2.0. i loaded 2.0 over the 1.0 version and changed the bic.file and the game crashed, do i install both version or just 2.0. thanks richard

Balrog
Mar 08, 2003, 01:54 AM
Delete 1.0 :)
2.0 is a totally new version.

Kinboat
Mar 08, 2003, 07:49 AM
I never got to play the first version (since I didn't have PTW) but the screens all looked great... I'll with hold praise for version 2 until I can download the large file :) Only 36% to go (which is about an Hour and a half)... but I'm sure it'll be good.

Balrog
Mar 08, 2003, 08:32 AM
:) You will like it Kinboat!

Guys if you any suggestion, just tell me.

For now I will remake the archer units. Those will have bombard ability, and no "melee" power. Also all of them will hav a range of 1.

Im still trying to figure out a way to make this new 'forest' somehow. :)

big fish
Mar 08, 2003, 01:50 PM
i think i followed your inst., i deleted 1.0, made a new foulder
i think i did right, i deleted 1.0, made a new foulder "fantasy empires", installed the 2.0 and made copy of bic file , installed, but the game crashed on start up says"missing text\pedialcons.txt.icon-bldg-sage" and shut down . i installed 2 times and it did the same thing

Bobisback
Mar 08, 2003, 02:33 PM
Balrog you should make a haunted forest in place of the forest, that wood be cool.

btw I think elfs should have a movement of two. Because all elfs only take one movement to move over forest, which makes no sense if the elf can only move one.

96th PA
Mar 08, 2003, 06:41 PM
Balrog, this mod kicks a@@. Played it for a while last night and didn't want to stop. Great graphics and units. Keep it up!!

Balrog
Mar 09, 2003, 03:01 AM
Hmm good suggestion Bob. Elves will have more movement points.
Haunted forest, yes I was thinking about that. Im not sure yet. Its hard to decide it, since I must find the right gfx for it too! :D

96th - Thx for your comment! :)

richard. - Here is what you will have to do:

1.) Delete 1.0 totally.

2.) Do not make a new folder! Just unzip the file to the civ3ptw/Scenarios folder! There is a folder created inside the .zip already! After that copy out the .bix from the package to the main scenarios directory, and you are ready to roll! ;)

Balrog
Mar 10, 2003, 10:37 AM
Well hmmmmmm...... we have lots of different animated fantasy units now, elves, orcs [uruk by Kinboat], dwarves by Kindred....

I will definitely add these new units!

In 2.1 there will be a few changes like:

-Bombard archer units [no more melee power]
-Changed forest gfx. [Telgar is helping me in this :)]
-New Race(s) with new units [uruks, dwarves so far]
-Some minor tweaks...

Stay tuned, patch is coming.

Bobisback
Mar 10, 2003, 12:38 PM
Balrog you can use the Sith Master as a fireball carrer, it wood be a great Wizard or Sorceror to.:)

Balrog
Mar 10, 2003, 02:10 PM
Yea I wanted to add wizards as well, but Im waiting for the proper .flc animations of fireballs and/or lighting bolts...or other spell effects! :)
Kinboat will make these, but we must be very patient hes got lot of work to do already.

Bobisback
Mar 10, 2003, 04:08 PM
tpasmall just made a Sith Master that shoots lighting bolts,its in the unit forum.;) It looks just look a wizard\Sorceror.

Balrog
Mar 11, 2003, 03:17 AM
Ya Ive got another .flc for a mage as well. What Im waiting for are spells. Fireball could be act like a missile for example, and the mage will be the carrier. :)

Harbinger
Mar 12, 2003, 01:07 PM
I've now tried to download the .zip from the link twice and Windows tells me the folder is invalid or corrupted...any ideas?

LordGek
Mar 12, 2003, 01:35 PM
Hey Balrog,

While I have yet to try out your mod, the premise and graphics look GREAT!

My only minor gripe is your disclaimer about people not using your art for their mods. While I have no need for any of your art assests, and can respect your desire to not get your hard work compromised, aren't a few of these art assests taken from other fantasy games or the public domain?

Basically, while again I'm not trying to flamebait here, but unless this artwork really is 100% your own (and if it is please ignore my whole gripe here) how can you claim ownership of it?

Balrog
Mar 12, 2003, 03:35 PM
Harbinger - The link is working, I dont know whats wrong when you cant D/L it......
Maybe the civfanatics server had some error, so just try again. :)

LordGek - Yes, you are right, but not totally. I edited all stuff manually, those are not original gfx. I dont care, if someone use them of course, since as you said those arent 100% my artwork, but I dont wanna see them in other mods. I think its better if the mods are unique! :)

Kinboat
Mar 12, 2003, 10:20 PM
First I've just reached the third age in my game... Looks cool :) A few issues/problems... The Art of War great wonder doesn't seem to be available with any advance... just wondering why it was left in the civipedia if it's not in the game. Also there seems to be a small problem with the aqueduct/hospital upgrade path. I have a city that is next to a river so I don't need an aqueduct (and can't build one) but I can't build a hospital in that city... I can build it in another city nearby that isn't near a river and has an aqueduct built.

Kinboat
Mar 12, 2003, 10:25 PM
oops also in the spell animations do you need a civspecific color? I thought it didn't because it'll only come out of the city if it's going to attack that turn or go into a carrier unit that does have colors... And do you have any ideas on what type of spell effects you'd like and what the default could look like (a non-specific default that could be used by all the versions and just represent a spell).

zulu9812
Mar 13, 2003, 04:35 AM
just a bug report - the Animal Lore pedia icons have transparency issues (there's bits of magenta showing through)

Balrog
Mar 13, 2003, 05:08 AM
Bugs are fixed Kinboat, thx for the bug report.

Zulu - Transparency bug is fixed, thx for reporting it.

Kinboat: I think we wont need civ specific colors for the spells. I think a fireball with a blue line in it wont be good. :)
Just make them without civspecific colors.
If you can make a fireball, a lighting bolt, and some cloud effects.
[If you have something in your mind, just make that too, Im sure that I will be able to implent all spell effects! ;)]
Big thx Kinboat, for making these units! You will be credited as a designer of the mod of course.

I think that this mod will be the biggest in size in the history of Civilization! :D
v2.1 will include a new race the dwarves, + I wanna implent the spell animations as well to v2.1.

Raw is War?
Mar 13, 2003, 08:58 AM
Balrog,
I'm enjoying your mod very much so far but i have a minor issue.
I think you should (if possible) get rid of pollution. I can only clean it up by automating it (there's no pollution button anymore), correct me if i'm wrong but i don't seem to be able to find city improvements to help combat it (have you left them out?) and I don't think it goes well at all with the fantasy theme.
Well just thought I'd let you know what I think, and may I say again that this mod is very good so far :goodjob: and pollution is my only issue.

Balrog
Mar 13, 2003, 10:24 AM
Hm there was any pollution effect in the mod? I took out the clear pollution yes.
I checked the .bix, and only the Grand Library had 1 pollution effect! I forgot to take it out. Lezz consider this a tiny bug. :)
Of course pollution in a fantasy mod is ridicolous.
I hope that there wont be any more pollution in the mod. [Is there any other stuff, than the city improvements, what can cause pollution? I think no..]

Thx for reporting this bug as well.

You guys now see, that Im making the mod, but I not played with it yet. :D [No time for that yet....:cry:]

Grey Fox
Mar 13, 2003, 12:14 PM
[Is there any other stuff, than the city improvements, what can cause pollution? I think no..]Yes, every citizen above the Hospital limit.

Raw is War?
Mar 13, 2003, 01:59 PM
Ahh yes, forgot about that. That'll probably be the problem, anyway it can be delt with?

Balrog
Mar 13, 2003, 03:33 PM
Hmmmmmm, I have no idea.
Anyways what you meant on hospital limit? How could I solve this pollution problem? Any ideas?

EDIT.
Maybe I found out how to get rid of the population pollution. What if I will give the flag -"Removes Pop. Pollution"- to the Hospital? [Healer's Lodge in the mod]

I think that will nullify the pollution caused by the population. [Im not sure cuz I never tried, but it looks like logical.]

I checked out the original civ3, and the Mass Transit System got this flag there. If you build that in a normal game, is it eliminating the whole pollution caused by the population? I hope so..

Grey Fox
Mar 13, 2003, 03:39 PM
Give the Hospital, or whatever building that you use in your mod for that function that reduces Pollution caused by citizens. The one that recycling station has. Other buildings could have this ability aswell.

You could always use pollution your mod... it could be plague or something.

Balrog
Mar 13, 2003, 03:49 PM
Grey - Mass Transit System got the flag -Removes Pop. Pollution.

Recycling Station reduces the pollution caused by buildings. [All of the buildings generating 0 already, so this wont be a problem]

I gave the Removes Pop. Pollution to the Aquaduct + Hospital [Healer's Lodge] as well, just in case. If something, than this will work. :)

Grey Fox
Mar 13, 2003, 04:23 PM
Yeah I mixed them up :p

PriestOfDiscord
Mar 14, 2003, 12:53 AM
use pollution as some sort of unholy blight or something. After all, if you are using nukes as spells it's going to come up. ;)

Balrog
Mar 14, 2003, 09:25 AM
Well they wont be nukes. They will be 'missiles' but not as devastating as a nuke.....Hmm however a Cloud of Death may have some effect like a nuke......Must think about this eheh.

Kinboat
Mar 14, 2003, 05:10 PM
Ok... here's what I came up with for the spell... This is just the casting, or the attack. The default will be one of two things (and I may do both versions), either a glowing spinning ball, or some type of scroll or spellbook. The when the spell is used it'll play this casting (and I plan on using some different symbols in different orders for different spells) and then it'll play the death animation, which will be an explosion or lightning etc.

What do you think?

Chaltier
Mar 14, 2003, 05:45 PM
Ok, this looks like it'd be a great mod but... How exactly do I use it? I put it in C:\program files\civilization III\scenarios but when i go to start a game it wont let me pick those civs... :(

Kinboat
Mar 14, 2003, 10:46 PM
You need the Play the World expansion first... Then you can go to start a new scenario option, not just start a new game, and it should show you a list of the scenarios available. If you've installed it right it should be on the list.

Balrog
Mar 15, 2003, 06:55 AM
Looking good, Kinboat! How many different spells can you make?
Also you meant, when the player is 'casting the spell' trhere will be a spellbook animation and after that lets say a floating fireball?
That would be really awesome! :)

Can you make a fireball type spell, a lighting bolt and some sort of cloud as well? If its too much work, just make color conversions with slight modifications if you can!
Thanks for your lot of help already! ;)

Chaltier - You need PtW to play this mod. :)

Kinboat
Mar 15, 2003, 11:59 AM
Well the spellbook and floating ball would be two different versions of the default animation... they wouldn't change between them. Then when the spell is cast (attacking with it) it'll play something like the animation above, and then the spell effect...

Balrog
Mar 15, 2003, 04:27 PM
I see. Great job! Cant wait to implent them to v2.1! :)

Im thinking about adding the wall units as well. First I must test that the AI can handle it or not hehe. ;)

Grey Fox
Mar 15, 2003, 04:39 PM
Why not make a map with the walls pre-placed?

computerdude113
Mar 15, 2003, 07:43 PM
I agree, that would be best, pre=placing the walls.

That way you can have it look right and make a scenerio-type thing happening.

I have a question about the walls though, since they don't have attack, just defense, if you place a unit on that square, wouldn't an attacking unit just attack the wall until it dies? That wouldn't be good if that's true...

Kinboat
Mar 15, 2003, 10:27 PM
You can give it an attack value... Since it'll be immobile it still shouldn't be able to attack on it's own, just defend.

Balrog
Mar 16, 2003, 01:53 AM
Humz...Well FE isnt a scenario. Now I see, that the AI cant handle the walls. [No land transport] :rolleyes:

Yes we could add them to a scenario but FE is a mod. :)
However.......maybe I will add them, so if any of you guys wanna make a scenario with FE, you can use them...

donquixote235
Mar 17, 2003, 03:06 PM
Nice mod... a few comments, though:

How come you have the Great Lighthouse in the first era, but the first naval unit doesn't come until the third? I highly recommend some sort of naval unit in the first age, even if it's a 0/0/1 vessel. I was fortunate enough to land on a continent with most of the other civs, but I'd hate it if I got stuck on some large island with no way off until the third era.

Also there are several units that I would never use, because quite simply there's something better that already exists. Perfect example: the frigate and the galleon (not to pick on naval units, but these were the first units that came to mind): the frigate is a 4/4/4 unit, with a 2/1/2 bombard. The galleon is a 6/6/4 units, with a 3/1/2 bombard AND a transport capacity of 4. Yet they come together in the same tech. Why would I ever choose a frigate over a galleon? Another example would be an axeman (6/1/1) and a longbowman (5/1/1) which both take about the same amount of effort to research. The only reason I'd research the longbowman is because it's a required tech for the age. How about making archery units have a 1-square radius minor bombard capability? That would help to make the archery units unique enough to play, without overbalancing them.

Like I said, great mod though, so take my suggestions as only that: suggestions.

Balrog
Mar 17, 2003, 03:19 PM
Ok. With the v2.1 patch the archer units will be bombard units, they wont have melee power. :) I was thinking about the same like you it seems.

As for the frigate - galleon. The frigate is a lot cheaper. Yes they are coming with the same tech, but keep in mind, that building a frigate takes lot less time! Sometimes more weaker units can beat the heavy units! :)

Hm you are right about navigation......I will try to make up some little ship for era 1.

Kinboat
Mar 17, 2003, 03:39 PM
How about the canoe unit... I'm working on those spells... I have the default done (going to use it for the run as well) So all I need now are some spell effects... Shouldn't be too long.

donquixote235
Mar 17, 2003, 03:40 PM
It's funny because I had been working on a fantasy mod when I found yours. I'd gotten as far as unit design, but I hadn't actually solidified the eras or gotten any unit graphics. It seems we were thinking a lot alike on a lot of things. If you'd like, I can give some ideas that I was planning to put into mine. I'll probably stop working on mine since yours is already out and looks so nice. :)

Balrog
Mar 17, 2003, 04:01 PM
Kinboat thats a good suggestion. It sounds good. Either a canoe or some tiny boat maybe. Now I must add a new Civ. Advance to era 1, and there isnt too much empty space left on the Science Advisor screen! :D Anyways what tech should I add? Theres astrology and navigation in Era 3...Hmmmmm must think think think.
Thx for the spells again. Cant wait to implent them! ;)

donquixote - Im glad that you like my mod. If you have any suggestions just post them! :)

v2.1 will be a big patch it seems, I added the dwarven units so far, waiting for the spell effects, and hopefully Telgar will finish the new forest gfx as well. I fixed the reported bugs, updated the archer units [changed them to bombard units], also there is a new strategical resource : Dwarven Stronghold.
I will add more advances of course for the various spells, and maybe a few others, however Im still not sure that what will be in v2.1 yet.

Stay tuned I will post more news as soon as I can. :smoke:

donquixote235
Mar 17, 2003, 04:12 PM
Okay, here's the big one: create four new techs: Law, Chaos, Good, Evil. Give each civ two of those techs, a la D&D. Certain units can only built by certain alignments. This would mean that you'd have to take out the Great Library, but I think it's worth it.

New tech: Necromancy, requires new resource: graveyard, and the Evil alignment. Allows you to build skeleton versions of existing units that cost half as much to build, and cost no maintenance, but are only half as powerful as well.

Deities: have various types of temples that can be built in cities that offer different bonuses. Base the types of temples you can build on your alignment, so for instance only Good civs can build temples to the fertility goddess, and only Evil civs can build temples to the god of death. You could even give each temple the "this replaces all other buildings" flag, so that each city can only have one temple in it.

Add five new resources - Air, Earth, Fire, Water, Nature. The resources you control determine what spells you can cast.

Make civs for the various races, e.g. elves and dwarves. I find it easier to get into a game where I'm familiar with the civs than when I'm not, and everybody knows who elves and dwarves are. Nobody knows who for instance the Ostian Empire is. Also, make your existing civs more archetypical - make a Lawful Good paladin-type civ, a Chaotic Evil civ that leans toward magic use, a nature-oriented civ with free access to the Elves and Nature tech, etc. If each civ has a distinct personality, I'm more likely to care more about who I play.

That's about all off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

donquixote235
Mar 17, 2003, 04:22 PM
More:

Create a "thief" unit, and beef it up as you pass thru the various eras. A Thief has a hidden nationality (later versions are also invisible), so he can go onto neighboring civs and destroy their improvements/attack their workers without incurring their wrath.

Create another new unit, "Gypsy Caravan" that's basically a land transport unit with a hidden nationality. Create new non-movable units ("traps") that are various strengths, and that are hidden and invisible. You can load the traps into the gypsy caravan, go into enemy territory, and drop the traps. The only problem with this is the AI doesn't know how to use land transports, so it may be too overpowering.

New use for the magic node: Summon Elemental. You can summon four different types, depending on whether you have the appropriate resource. Earth elementals have an awesome defense but can't move, Air elementals are 0/0/10 invisible flying units, etc.

Grey Fox
Mar 17, 2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by donquixote235
Okay, here's the big one: create four new techs: Law, Chaos, Good, Evil. Give each civ two of those techs, a la D&D. Certain units can only built by certain alignments. This would mean that you'd have to take out the Great Library, but I think it's worth it. If you make the tech's None-Era they can't be researched and you won't get them with the Great Library. This is what the DyP mod does. Each religious civ get 1 tech etc...

Isak
Mar 17, 2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Grey Fox
If you make the tech's None-Era they can't be researched and you won't get them with the Great Library. This is what the DyP mod does. Each religious civ get 1 tech etc...

They can't be researched, but we've had a few reports that people have been given the techs through the Great Library, so DonQuixote is unfortunately right, it seems :(

Bobisback
Mar 17, 2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Isak

They can't be researched, but we've had a few reports that people have been given the techs through the Great Library, so DonQuixote is unfortunately right, it seems :(

You can get them from a goodyhut though, I have tested this.;)

Grey Fox
Mar 17, 2003, 05:13 PM
What if you make those tech's required by techs that nobody has?

donquixote235
Mar 17, 2003, 05:17 PM
Hm, that's interesting.. it may work.

It'd be easy enough to test - create a mod with three civs and two techs - one that only you have (that gives the GL wonder) and one that the other two civs have and you don't. Then build the GL and see if you get the other tech.

Balrog
Mar 18, 2003, 02:02 AM
wow lot of ideas there! :)

- I like the idea of aligments, but as you see many of the units are medieval. Those are the common units. The fantastic units requires a special strategic resource to train. I dont wanna change it, since I think its very good. However adding aligments should be great. Example: You have a Dragon's Lair as a strategic resource, but you cannot train them, if your civ got a good aligment.
Good idea, but I dont know that the mod will be better with it or not......

- Necromancy: Yes this is a great idea, no question, the problem is that there isnt any unit animations for it..[No skeleton warrior, skeleton archer etc.] I will add this for sure, if we will have these unit anims.

- Temples: These should come with the aligments. You meant temples by aligments. Im not sure that I will add aligments. Instead of that I should just add 3 specific temples after the culture groups. The idea of the special temples are very good again.

- Races: There isnt enough units available to make units. Example 3 elven unit animations are nothing. If I make a race elf for example, and they will have 3 units, well I think that wont be good. I think add them as minor races is good. [Minor race = they are in the game as a 'strategic resource' - Elf Village etc.]

- I like this aligment idea. I will think about it....
Maybe each culture groups should have different aligment.
That way not all of them could train Daemon for example.

Hmmm...

Very good suggestions. Im not sure that what will I change....

Moonwryn
Mar 18, 2003, 12:54 PM
I apologise to be bringing up an old issue. However, despite my studious following of your explicit directions on getting your FE mod to work I too have received the dreaded sage tower scenario loading error. What should I do? Is v2.0 just a patch or a completely independent mod pack? I have the latest PTW patch. I would appreciate any help you could offer. And I apologise for mentioning this when it seems to have been mentioned so much, perhaps I have not read the thread thoroughly enough. Have a nice day!

-Moonwryn

xerxes501
Mar 18, 2003, 02:16 PM
Okay I have finally figured out the problem I had, which was the Sage Tower error. At first I would take the downloaded zip and double click it to automatically unzip it. When I did that all the files come up, but they were not in folders.
So then I right click on the zip file and one of my options is to highlight winzip. Then I choose the option extract to, and I set the folder as ptw/scenario folder. And when I did that it all worked.

As for you Balrog, this is a mighty fine mod. I am enjoying it very much. I am not sure if this is a bug or not but when I tried to upgrade my swordsman to elite swordsman I received an error message stating I was missing an image, not exactly sure where right now. And for an option if you start doing alignments, a few more powerful units for other units should be included. Examples include archangels (who could possibly fly), hydras, minotaurs, etc. If I knew how to create these things I would help you out, but I am pretty much worthless in that area.

X

Kinboat
Mar 18, 2003, 03:22 PM
Some of the spells are posted in the Units forum now... I think I make a few more types at some point.

Moonwryn
Mar 18, 2003, 03:31 PM
Thanks a bunch. It works!!! Yayness.

Yeah, gratz Balrog on such ingenius designing of wah!!!

Balrog
Mar 18, 2003, 04:04 PM
Thx for the comments guys! Im glad that you like the mod. :)
Im adding the spells right now Kinboat. Decent work as usual! :thumbsup:

About the bug: You received an error message when you tried to upgrade the swordsman? It happened with FE 2.0?
If you can plz check that what is the exact error message, since I had no error messages with any unit upgrading.

Guys I wont stop updating FE, have no worries. If the decent unit makers like Kinboat will make more Fantasy units I will implent them for sure! Yes the aligments is a good idea, however it will be lot of work to implent, so If I will add it, that will come with a later patch. ;)

donquixote235
Mar 18, 2003, 07:36 PM
well you can use alignments to build elite versions of existing units, for instance Lawful Good civs could build a paladin instead of a knight, Evil civs could build a marauder instead of a swordsman, etc. And you wouldn't necessarily have to create different graphics, since they're just special versions of existing units - and you wouldn't have to create any new techs either, since they'd come with all the 'normal' units. Also you can design buildings or tech advances that require an alignment, like for instance create a Torture Chamber building for evil civs in addition to a courthouse.

Also you could have different color dragons with different abilities for each of the four alignments - call them Gold (good), Black (evil), Steel (law) and Rainbow (chaos) or whatever you want to call them, those were just off my head. One dragon could have a better breath weapon, one dragon could have better defense, one dragon could fly further, and one dragon could have a better offensive (for example).

I understand on the skeletons. Maybe if you could get the artwork on just 2 or 3 different skel types it would be worth it. Or smudge up the artwork on an existing unit and call it a zombie instead of a skeleton. ;-)

Balrog
Mar 19, 2003, 04:20 AM
Aligments is really a great idea. I like the various dragon units as well, however if I will make these changes, I must release Fantasy Empires 3.0 instead of 2.1, since it will be another HUGE update. [2 new dwarven new units, 2 new Orc units, 3 new dragon units, lot of other additions......etc]

It will be a patch still, I dont wanna repack the whole mod again.[However it will be a huge patch, cuz of the new units]

I must think about this more. IF I will add aligments that will bring lot of new stuff as well.......

I will post more when I decided that what to do. :)

Sir John
Mar 19, 2003, 05:15 AM
Idea:Bulding: Heros Guild: gives different hero for each civ, Elf Hero for the elves, Orc hero for the orcs and so on... I cant get PTW to work yet, so I dont know if you have it already.. If not I think its a good idea...

Sir John
Mar 19, 2003, 05:17 AM
If you add alignments they could be there instead of the indutrius, military, religious and so on flags...

Balrog
Mar 19, 2003, 07:17 AM
Hmmmm heroes is a nice idea.
Lot of good ideas you guys have! :)
I will think about this as well.

Balrog
Mar 20, 2003, 03:13 AM
Hmmmm I was thinking about this aligment idea. I really like it.

Lezz say FE will have 3 different aligments:
Good, Neutral, Evil

Now all aligments would be able to train specific fantastic units.
Example: Civs with good aligments would be able to train Elves, Dwarves, a specific Dragon unit etc. Civs with evil aligment would be able to train Orcs, Daemon etc.
Also all aligments may have a special temple....
This way the players wont be able to train all of the fantastic units, but I think its even better this way. You must decide your pathh before you start to play! :)

This is really a very good idea! I think I will add it, but propably just later, since this will be a lot of work again.

This not means that I will cancel the 3 culture groups! They will be in the mod of course!

Raw is War?
Mar 20, 2003, 08:58 AM
I also like that idea :)

Ed O'War
Mar 20, 2003, 01:31 PM
I like the idea of alignments enabling different unit sets and buildings. That way playing each civ will be a little more unique, especially when combined with the three culture groups.

Balrog
Mar 20, 2003, 03:42 PM
Yup I agree on that. I dont know that it will be in the next patch or not, since this will need lot of time to finish.

Anyways I decided to release the patch as v2.5, since it will contain lot of new stuff!
The patch is coming very soon, so stay tuned. ;)

Balrog
Mar 22, 2003, 04:56 AM
Little report: The patch is near complete now, but I wanna wait Kindred's new Dwarf High Guard, and use it in the mod. When its out, the mod will be out soon after that!
Lot of new stuff will be in 2.5, you guys will like them! ;)

Kindred72
Mar 22, 2003, 12:21 PM
It will be finished today!

Kindred72
Mar 22, 2003, 12:22 PM
If you can wait a little longer I can get the basic dwarf warrior done too. Maybe today, definitely by monday.

Balrog
Mar 22, 2003, 03:55 PM
Sure I can wait, however right now I wanna add the Ironbreaker + High Guard. Maybe I will add the basic dwarf, after I added aligments with a later patch. :)

Thx for your decent work Kindred!

Yoda Power
Mar 22, 2003, 04:21 PM
i just want to say, that im looking forward to play the new version:) (if i ever get time)

Kindred72
Mar 22, 2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Yoda Power
i just want to say, that im looking forward to play the new version:) (if i ever get time)

Me too!!

Balrog
Mar 23, 2003, 01:54 AM
Thx guys! The new version is coming very soon, so stay tuned!
Btw Kindred you really made a decent job with the High Guard 2.0
Kinboat and you are the best unit makers! :)

cubsfan65
Mar 23, 2003, 07:37 AM
I tried downloading v2.0 and got about half way through (18.1 Mb) before my connection timed out. Obviously that isn't enough, so I tried to download it again. I got an error message saying the compressed folder is "invalid or corrupted". Is this because I only got half of it the first time. I'm new to this but your mod seems amazing and I want to get into it as soon as possible. Any suggestions? Just to let you know, I'm on XP and have PTW.

PriestOfDiscord
Mar 23, 2003, 02:30 PM
Another update soon? Fantastic. :D

Balrog
Mar 23, 2003, 04:26 PM
cubsfan - the file is hosted by civfanatics. The fileserver have some problems, so just download it again! :)

Priest - Yup new patch is coming VERY soon. ;)

Kindred72
Mar 23, 2003, 06:14 PM
Kindred you really made a decent job with the High Guard 2.0
Kinboat and you are the best unit makers! :)

I greatly appreciate the compliment. But, Utahjazz and Kinboat are MUCH better than me. And, they pretty much taught me everthing I know. But, Thank you again.

Kindred72
Mar 23, 2003, 06:18 PM
besides, you're the one that does all the work that puts this great mod together. I wouldn't want to do it.

p.s. With the new version coming out, can we expect to start puting the lord of the rings mod together?

Balrog
Mar 24, 2003, 05:31 AM
Well, propably I will work a little more on a v3.0 with aligments and stuff, but after that I will begin to make the LotR mod. :)

Balrog
Mar 26, 2003, 07:35 AM
Version 2.5 is ready! :king:

What's new in Fantasy Empires v2.5?

-New strategic resource: Dwarf Stronghold [With this resource the players will be able to train the dwarven units]

-New units are added:
- Orc Warlord

- Fireball [Spell; The Magic Node strategic resource and the Fireball advance is required to build the unit.] [Era 3]

- Lighting Bolt [Spell; The Magic Node strategic resource and the Lighting Bolt advance is required to build the unit.] [Era 3]

- Death Cloud [Spell; The Magic Node strategic resource and the Death Cloud advance is required to build the unit.] [Era 4]

- Dwarf Guard [Players will need the strategic resource: Dwarf Stronghold, and The Dwarves advanceis required to train the unit.]

- Dwarf Ironbreaker [Players will need the strategic resource: Dwarf Stronghold, and The Dwarves advance is required to train the unit.]

- The Dwarves [Era 2]

- Magery [Era 3]
- Fireball [Era 3]
- Lighting Bolt [Era 3]

- Death Cloud [Era 4]
- Magic Mastery [Era 4]

-New City Improvement: - Kraal Tradepost [+50% Luxury Output, requires the mathematics advance to build.]

-New Orc Warrior animations [Kinboat's Uruk-Hai Berserker]

-Galley is now an Era 1 unit [Map Making is required to build it.]
-Elven units now have 2 movement points

-New forest type: Kraal Forest [replaced jungle] - Thx to Telgar for his work on the new forest gfx!

-Archer, Longbowman, Crossbowman, Fire Longbowman, Gordian Bowman and Wood Elf Archer are now bombard units.

-Fixed transparency errors [Mountain forests, Mountain forests, and Animal Lore icon]

-Science Advisor Screen is updated
-Updated Civilopedia and Pediaicons
-Updated Science Advisor screens
-Various minor bugs are fixed
-Units are tweaked [More powerful defensive units, and some other units are balanced as well.]

Download it from the files section!

I uploaded 2 new screensots as well -> Units from v2.5 + the screenshot about the new forest+dwarven stronghold.

If you have any suggestions, just post here or send an email!

Balrog.

Sir John
Mar 26, 2003, 08:01 AM
I put up an idea about a terrain a while ago. a holy or evil forest. Instead of making it a terrain, why not make it a resource. If you hav units like for example Fairys, they could come from holy forests and you good have demons wich came from evil forest... just an idea...

Balrog
Mar 26, 2003, 08:41 AM
Yes good idea John, prolly I will add it to 3.0. :)

IMPORTANT!
Guys I made a tiny error in the v2.5 bix. Please, REDOWNLOAD v2.5 File1 and decompress that to the scenario folder!!!!!!! [Only difference is the new .bix in File1 btw..]

Raw is War?
Mar 26, 2003, 08:59 AM
I was just wondering if you've added a wizard unit to go with the new spells? New version looks really cool by the way :goodjob:

Bobisback
Mar 26, 2003, 09:06 AM
Frist of all you added the Galley that solved that problem, but if you start on a Island that does not have wood you run in to the same problem again. I think the Galley should not require wood. (I just started a game and started on a island that did not have wood. therefor I could not build galleys to get off the island.:wallbash: )second why does the Pikemen require wood they need iron more the wood, because the armor is made of iron.;)

btw awsome update.:goodjob: other then then these miner problems, this is awsome mod.:)

Balrog
Mar 26, 2003, 01:58 PM
Hum you are sorta right about the galley, but I tried to be 'realistic' with the units. Basically all units require some resource(s)...I mean making a galley, without any resources is just not right...I hope you get my point.
However if you are starting on an island, that could be painful........Its unbalancing the game than. Hummm I think I will add a real tiny boat to 3.0 which wont require anything. :)

As for the pikeman, you are right. It will require iron in 3.0. You know its hard to balance and tweak all stuff hehe. ;)

Well as for the wizard unit. I NEVER played the original Civ3. What flags an unit need in the editor to be able to carry cruise missiles? Also what unit can carry the Cruise Missile in the original Civ3?

Raw is War?
Mar 26, 2003, 03:30 PM
You could flag the the spells as tactical missile units and then make a sorcerer (tpasmall's Sith Master) have the carry tatical missile flag.

Balrog
Mar 26, 2003, 04:05 PM
Ah gotcha........Right now the spells are flagged as cruise missiles. I will change them to tactical missiles in v3.0, also I will add a wizard unit. :)

I plan to add aligments to v3.0 as well, however Im not sure yet. I could use some new unit animations, If i wanna implent that! [Skeletons, ogres, trolls etc]

SpiderZord
Mar 26, 2003, 09:04 PM
I got a chance to try out your mod after stumbling across it the other day... great late age units - I particularly enjoyed storming the countryside with the dragon and Balrogish daemon units!

Keep up the great work! :goodjob:

BobTheConqueror
Mar 26, 2003, 09:19 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the Halberdier and Axeman are graphics stolen from Ensemble Studios' Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings? I think the units in AOEII are the Halberdier(same name), and the Woad Raider. Not dissing your modpack or anything, I was just wondering if this breaks any kind of copyright violation...

Sir John
Mar 27, 2003, 02:30 AM
No It doesnt break copyrights... I think about all aoe and aoe2 units have been converted.

I have just begun playing your mod, and I have to say that your mod is the best mod ever made for civ3. When Firaxis makes Civ4, they have to call it: Civilization: Fanatsy Empires. And theyll have to hire you and use youre mod because it so mindblowing good. I cant wait untill a new version...

Balrog
Mar 27, 2003, 04:22 AM
Bob - I used up the existing units made by the unit modders. :)
Those units are converted by them, and its not illegal.

John - Im happy that you like the mod. Yes v3.0 will have even more additions. Im still thinking about the aligments. It wont be that easy to add. ;)

Bobisback
Mar 28, 2003, 07:51 AM
This does not make scents, its on the easiest level and I am having a hard time. I am usually like five techs ahead, but now they are always two techs ahead of me.:cry: and It's only on the easiest level.I usually play on regent though. Dose any body else notice an increase in hardness.;)(I know my spelling is not to good today.:sleep: )

Balrog
Mar 28, 2003, 10:55 AM
Yes I heard this already, that the AI is kicking ass in the mod. Lot harder to beat the game, than in normal civ3.

Raw is War?
Mar 28, 2003, 02:16 PM
Well i've been playing version 2.5 of your mod and i really like the Kraal Forest, but one problem, IMO, is desease. I built a city on it so i could get a wood elf village. Next thing i know, a couple of turns later my spearman in that city dies. Because you can't cut down forests in your mod ( which is good) you end up actually building on the kraal forest which is why my spearman died of desease. Well i just thought i'd mention it. IMO I wouldn't have desease, but thats me. Apart from that, it's an exellent mod :goodjob:

Balrog
Mar 28, 2003, 04:27 PM
I think that disease is hard coded. However Im not sure, I will try to figure it out...So far I found no options in the editor to get rid off the disease effect....

Sir John
Mar 29, 2003, 04:11 AM
you can give the palace a "hospital flag" wich cures disease. But I think you should repleace kraal forest with a wasteland (like the one in mordor in lotr wich is poisonus) and then you can still have the disease. No offence to the kraal forest bu it doesnt fit because of the disease and I think that the disease problem is a must..

Yoda Power
Mar 29, 2003, 04:20 AM
Disease is hardcoded.

Balrog
Mar 29, 2003, 04:28 AM
Yea disease is hardcoded.....another editor problem eh......:rolleyes:
Anyways Kraal forest is ok even with the disease. Its a pretty good terrain type 1/1/1. Also I plan to add an unique resource for that Kraal forest. :cool:
You are right that a wasteland which can cause disease would fit better, but this is acceptable as well, since Kraal Forest doesnt supposed to be a magical forest for fairies! :)

Btw John what did you meant on 'hospital flag'? I see no flags like that..