View Full Version : Shadow Commando

Piernik
Feb 13, 2003, 06:50 PM
I want to make unit called by me Shadow Commando or Shadow Infantry. It's based on a future US Special Forces. Here's a pict.
http://www.sbccom.army.mil/hooah/200101/images/command_focus_01.jpg

Here's a preview... If you have any suggestions... :) And don't say he's slim - guy on a picture is also slim;)

PS he looks bit strange because of 3D render

bhiita
Feb 13, 2003, 07:04 PM
What do you have planned for the attack animation? do you plan on useing the pistol or a rifle? Looks good, great model.

bhiita
Feb 13, 2003, 07:06 PM
and could you link us to a site where we could learn more about this guy? I'm a hermit, never heard of this. :p

Wyrmshadow
Feb 13, 2003, 07:38 PM
This is the US Army's FUTURE WARRIOR concept. You could probably find it on the net very easily. I see it all the time on TechTV on cable.

Civanator
Feb 13, 2003, 07:46 PM
No offense or anything, but could you flatten his chest a little bit so it doesn't stick out like that? Also, maybe you should give him gloves and cover up his throat/neck area. It looks fine. Also, are his weapons going to be just a pistol or a rifle-like weapon and a pistol?

Kinboat
Feb 13, 2003, 10:37 PM
Looks good... The chest could come in a little but I really don't think it'll show up at all in the final size so I don't see a big problem.

Neomega
Feb 13, 2003, 10:39 PM
his lega appear short... but it may just be perspective.

bhiita
Feb 13, 2003, 11:19 PM
I think the chest is OK because when rendered in civIII size it will more than lickly look as if he's wearing the vest/armor it could be evened out though down the entire torso IMHO

:edit: :lol: I won't correct the spelling because it's funny :lol:
I did do it by accident :p

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 02:22 AM
About the chest... It wasn't so big, but I thought that you'll say he's too slim:)

About attack animation... He's got weapon aslo on his right arm. There are small rockets and a machine pistol. I thought that I'll start animation with one rocket from his arm and then machine gun, also from his arm. Should I use his pistol??

bhiita
Feb 14, 2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Piernik

About attack animation... He's got weapon aslo on his right arm. There are small rockets and a machine pistol. I thought that I'll start animation with one rocket from his arm and then machine gun, also from his arm. Should I use his pistol??

:eek: yikes, will he need it after all that?

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 02:49 AM
hehe - In special situations... when he's run out of bullets for example :)

bhiita
Feb 14, 2003, 03:39 AM
All he needs is a jet pack and he'd be boba fet :D

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 04:00 AM
hehe - forget it;)

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 05:22 AM
Here's the final (I hope) version of ShadowMan...
Hope you like it

Yoda Power
Feb 14, 2003, 05:23 AM
Here's the final (I hope) version of ShadowMan...
Hope you like it

nice

how many units are you going to do?

bhiita
Feb 14, 2003, 05:27 AM
I'm anxious to see this one. how soon do you think he'll be done?

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 05:29 AM
wow that was quick:)

Yoda Power: depens on how many idea I will have:)
bhiita: I hope animation would be easy... but not today;)

bhiita
Feb 14, 2003, 05:33 AM
I can't believe how close you were able to get it. :eek: it's like you took the picture of your model :eek:

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 05:41 AM
hehe thanks... But now I've rendered it with civ3 sizes and it's just a gray spot... nothing more. I have to change some colors and details.. It can't be like that:(

bhiita
Feb 14, 2003, 05:46 AM
I GOT YOUR IDEAS RIGHT HERE! (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21537&highlight=womoks) and here (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20592&highlight=womoks) :D With your tallent you could rival womok! will you try? please? you will be regarded as a hero and be worshiped for all your day's ;)

bhiita
Feb 14, 2003, 05:51 AM
If you do anything do this first :eek:

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 06:01 AM
And Womok won't finishe them??

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 06:05 AM
I've read the latst news:( He's not comming back:( Those units are really stunning... Shame Womok won't get back:(

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 06:37 AM
I don't like it:(

In game sizes it looks completely differnet than in big sizes.
I had to change colors, sizes of some details and it still looks just ugly:mad:

What do you think??

Grey Fox
Feb 14, 2003, 12:14 PM
Arn't you going to make him darker?

Or will he loose to much detail that way?

Kal-el
Feb 14, 2003, 12:24 PM
I can get you some more images for him. But you will have to wait til this afternoon.

Grey Fox
Feb 14, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Kal-el
I can get you some more images for him. But you will have to wait til this afternoon. It already is the evening for him, as he lives in Poland (I believe) ;)

Kal-el
Feb 14, 2003, 03:51 PM
I had typed out a whole long piece from Popular Science's "21st Century Soldier" about the Future Warrior Program but when I went to submit the server was too busy. You will all have to just make do with these images.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Future_Warrior1.gifhttp://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Future_Warrior3.gifhttp://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Future_Warrior7.gif
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Future_Warrior2.gif
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Future_Warrior4.gif
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Future_Warrior5.gif
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/Future_Warrior6.gif

Army Dreams of Grunt of the Future (http://www.defenselink.mil/news/May2001/n05152001_200105153.html)
By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, May 15, 2001 -- Dressed all in black, Army Sgt. Joseph Patterson looks like he stepped from the pages of a science fiction book depicting future warfare.

Patterson recently demonstrated some advanced concepts for outfitting infantrymen to members of Congress and their staffs. Patterson is part of the Soldier Support Center in Natick, Mass.

"This is the equivalent of a concept car for infantrymen," he said. "We're taking a look at every idea and asking, what possibly could make my life great?"

Do you want one uniform for all climates? This prototype has a built-in heating or cooling system. The outfit is interlaced with tubes. "You cool the bodysuit or heat it depending on the core body temperature," Patterson said.

Do you want a read-out on what your condition is? This outfit has built-in monitors that check heartbeat, breathing and hydration. It also will monitor sleep and gauge your combat stress. Not only does the service member have the information, but the commander does also.

Need an integrated communications and data system? "We're going to have body-borne antennas, so no more of those long antennas sticking up," he said.

"We're looking at a really visionary idea of being chameleons," he said. "We're going to have a chameleon uniform that changes color depending on where you are. It'll be an arctic uniform, a jungle uniform, a desert uniform as needed."

Not having to carry extra gear, such as field jackets or rain gear, lightens the load. "Backpacks will no longer be needed except for food, extra ammo and water," he said. "We're actually going to carry just mission-specific items and none of what we call 'snivel gear.' So we don't have our cold weather gear, our wet weather suits, our chemical- biological protection -- it's all integrated into one suit."

Patterson's black suit included body armor and integrated his weapon in a helmet-mounted heads-up display.

"The display is on the helmet visor. On the top, we'll have an embedded sensor suite with night vision and thermal sights," he said. "We'll be able to see 360 degrees, everyone knows where each other is through combat identification, and you can link to everyone and transmit real-time data directly to their heads-up displays."

All of this may sound like a page out of "Starship Troopers," but it could happen. "We can't do these things now, but we should be able to make the technology work in the near future," Patterson said. "It's just a chance to push the envelope."

Kal-el
Feb 14, 2003, 03:55 PM
A few points to consider:

Elbow Pads
Knee Pads
Tighter Pants
More Straps around the thighs

and although the Army envisons these soldiers using the pistol firearm above, give the unit a rifle, it would be more impressive. The M-41 from Aliens would work well for this guy. I can get you a 3d model of the M-41 if you are interested.

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks Kal-el for pictures... thay will be helpful.

You want me to give him a rifle? ok - you can send me a model, why not... but in the game it won't be visible:( here's my mail - lpiernik@interia.pl Send the model there.

About the pads and other things. I can add them but in game it will be just another annoying pixel so it's better without them.

I can darken him a little - maybe details will not be lost. But don't count on man in balck like he looks on a photos. I tried that and it is just a big, gray spot:(

Kal-el
Feb 14, 2003, 05:21 PM
Does your model have a backpack? If so you should remove it. One of the overriding principles behind the Future Warrior Program is making it as lightweight as possible. The system is designed to be a total of 30 lbs for 6-day mission, comapre that to the 90 pounds that the modern slodier carries into the field for a 3-day mission.

Everything you see in those pictures is all that these guys will bring with them.

Kal-el
Feb 14, 2003, 05:25 PM
Oh, I sent that M-41 model. What do you mean it won't be visible? In game you can get a general idea of what weapons the units are using. One of the things that youfind with the Firaxis models is that they tend to over exagerate certain key features, weapons being one of them, as well as musculature, e.g. the Hoplites legs.

Shady
Feb 14, 2003, 05:31 PM
OoooO! This unit looks sweet:jump:

Piernik
Feb 14, 2003, 05:36 PM
ok I have the model tommorwo I'm gonna play with it - thanks.
Yes it has a backpack... in first version it didn't have, but than I decided to give it just to make few big details visible in civ3 sizes. The backpack is also good area to give civspecific color.

Kal-el
Feb 14, 2003, 05:58 PM
you could use the straps around the thighs and the knee pads and elbow pads for the Civ Colored areas.

Piernik
Feb 15, 2003, 04:02 AM
I've added knee pads and make bigger straps around the arms. I've added also "Big Gun" from Kal-el.

Here's a preview of fortify and AttackA. What do you think? Is it ready to make all animations and adopt to civ3? Or something needs more attantion?

Balou
Feb 15, 2003, 07:43 AM
Very nice unit.
Some hints for the animation:
Make him lean forward when he moves his right leg in the fortify animation. You need to give the impression that he shifts his weight from one leg to the other. (always try the animations you are going to do yourself, this gives you a very good idea of what´s exactly happening - this also includes the death animation ;) )
Also, I think the recoil animation is a little bit too much. It may look odd when it is played at high speed again and again. It really depends on what kind of projectile your rifle fires. If it is a high caliber grenade then the whole body should move, not only the spine. If it is a low caliber rifle then only the shoulder/upper body should move a little bit since the soldier will try to work against the recoil with his shoulder/chest.

Kal-el
Feb 15, 2003, 09:59 AM
Most likely the Future Warrior System will be using caseless ammunition and the rifle will have a recoil dampner to increase accuracy. The US rifles are set to fire three round bursts to conserve ammunition and again, increase accuracy. it would be cool if this guy fired a 3 round burst. Maybe have attackA fire a mini-rocket followed up with attackB which should be a 3-round burst. Does anybody have sounds for the M-41 pulse rifle from Aliens? They would be perfect for the rifle (cuz its the M-41 from Aliens. :))

I would like to see the unit from all angles before I make any comment on whether I think it is ready for animation. But, I can say, that just looking at that preview, it is much improved. :D :goodjob: :D

Piernik
Feb 15, 2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks Balou for suggestions... You're my authority in case of human-animation:)

About the recoil... I planned it to be AttackA fireing some kind of a rocket, than I'll add Kal-el's suggestion about AttackB...

I'll try to make all angles for you Kal-el.
I want to make the unit as least as good as Balou's units:)

Piernik
Feb 15, 2003, 02:49 PM
Kal-el hereyou have all angles:)

Piernik
Feb 15, 2003, 04:45 PM
Here's a run animation... any suggestions?

Kal-el
Feb 15, 2003, 04:50 PM
the model looks great! what happens if you you replace the green with black? Take a look at the PtW Ninja, it should be possible to use highlighting and shadows to have a black suited unit and yet maintain an acceptable level of detail.

Kal-el
Feb 15, 2003, 04:51 PM
The run animation is really good. :)

Piernik
Feb 15, 2003, 05:02 PM
as you wish:) Here's gray and black. It's not bad, but not good either.

Nder
Feb 15, 2003, 05:33 PM
very cool! here is a pulse rifle sound

Kal-el
Feb 15, 2003, 05:38 PM
I like the black and gray. :) Why do youi think it doesn't look good?

Kal-el
Feb 15, 2003, 09:17 PM
here are some pics of the Pulse Rifle in action.
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/marines2.jpg
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/pulserifle.jpghttp://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/marine1.jpg
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads3/avp7.jpg

Yoda Power
Feb 16, 2003, 12:42 AM
Kal-el i think someone once said that it was illegal to post the animatet Gif´s from PTW units.

bhiita
Feb 16, 2003, 02:13 AM
I think previews are Ok :) you just can't post the real unit for download. There are already a few threads where previews can be found.

Yoda Power
Feb 16, 2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by bhiita
I think previews are Ok :) you just can't post the real unit for download. There are already a few threads where previews can be found.

Im not talking about all previews, only the animatet ones.

Piernik
Feb 16, 2003, 02:46 AM
Nder - thanks for sounds they are great;)

Kal-el - I'll leave him gray:) And I alos think that you can't post whole previews. I have PtW so you can change the images... thx;)

CurtSibling
Feb 16, 2003, 03:02 AM

Guh!

Guh!

Someone make that walker unit!!!!
Please!

:eek:

PS
The commando is superb!

Piernik
Feb 16, 2003, 03:07 AM
You're right the walker is great:) Maybe I'll try my strengths:) Maybe

bhiita
Feb 16, 2003, 03:58 AM
Im not talking about all previews, only the animatet ones.

good, that's what I was talking about too :)

Kal-el
Feb 16, 2003, 09:58 AM
I shopuldn't have posted the attack gif because that showed all angles, but I think the other two that showed only one angle should have been fine. Either way they have been removed. :)

Glad to hear you are going to leave him gray. :D

Piernik
Feb 19, 2003, 09:51 AM
Nder - I don't know why but your sound is missed up in civ3. If enyone know what's wrong could you fix that for me?

Unit is about to finish... I'm waitnig for sounds;)

Nder
Feb 19, 2003, 10:46 AM
That sucks. :(

Nder
Feb 19, 2003, 10:53 AM
ok, here are some more sounds I found M41ASound.zip (http://www.clanalien.com/Files/mods/M41ASound.zip)

Kal-el
Feb 19, 2003, 11:05 AM
glad to hear this is nearing completion. :D

Neomega
Feb 19, 2003, 11:13 AM
Nder - I don't know why but your sound is missed up in civ3. If enyone know what's wrong could you fix that for me?

Unit is about to finish... I'm waitnig for sounds;)

I could do it for you, e-mail me.... but better I'll teach you how to fish... ;)

The sounds have to be:

PCM 22,050 kHz, 16 bit mono. go to properties in sound recorder to change them to the correct format :)

Hunter
Feb 19, 2003, 11:29 AM
Ok first let me say how much I love this unit :love:

Now let me say about Womoks
HOLY S***!!!!!!

Man something must have happened in the real world to have stopped him because he seemed to be into it. I hate to sound greedy but I wish he had time to post the work he completed. Hopefuly he is ok in the real world. :(

Anyway looking forward to THIS unit.

Bobisback
Feb 19, 2003, 11:45 AM

Do the walker next. The walker is awsome.:D

Piernik
Feb 19, 2003, 02:43 PM
hehe - yeah the walker is great and hard to made;)

Neomega... if you can do it... I'll only smile. I don't have any tool the can change sound properties

bhiita
Feb 20, 2003, 09:03 AM
I want the walker ;) I think the best way for me to learn, is doing the most difficult task.

And just to get this straight.......all you're waiting for are the sounds? You've finnished the unit?

:note: I haven't been to the unit forum yet.

Piernik
Feb 20, 2003, 09:11 AM
All animations are done... now I'm waitnig for fixed sound...

You want to make walker?? If you do - make it;)

Bobisback
Feb 20, 2003, 05:38 PM
All animations are done... now I'm waitnig for fixed sound...

You want to make walker?? If you do - make it;)

I wish I could.;)

Piernik
Feb 23, 2003, 03:18 AM
Anyone - please convert sound attached by Nder (2nd page) to civ3 format - I don't have any sound tool... Unit is waitnig only for that sound....

PLEASE

bhiita
Feb 23, 2003, 04:58 AM
It's on page 3 ;) here is a direct link (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=778151#post778151)

Piernik
Feb 23, 2003, 05:13 AM
hehe - I've got more posts on a page - thx

Kingpin
Feb 24, 2003, 10:06 AM
You're right the walker is great:) Maybe I'll try my strengths:) Maybe

Please, please, please, please!

I shorted out my keyboard drooling over that thing...

Piernik
Feb 25, 2003, 03:33 PM
It's here (http://www.eqforge.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45716)