View Full Version : Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial)

Nutty
Dec 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
This mod is deprecated. Use the updated R.E.D. Modpack v.27 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383375) or R.E.D. Modpack Unofficial v.28 beta (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23246) instead.
However, if you're looking for alternate scaling options:

Just Ethnic Diversity for R.E.D. Modpack is an unofficial modmod
that reverts R.E.D. Modpack to vanilla scale: DOWNLOAD HERE (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757) [or Subscribe on Steam] (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=102182396)

Also, Single/Reduced Unit Graphics (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=415885) is compatible with R.E.D. Modpack.

Ethnic Diversity for Civilization V
v12.03 stable
by Nutty
(Made with R.E.D. (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383375) technology)

Adds lots of new unit models for diversity, with 3 different scaling options. Gameplay is not changed in any way.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads/ethnic_diversity_z4Z.png

Regiment and Ethnic Diversity for Civilization V
The mod is a constant Work In Progress, the goal is to have ethnic units for each civilizations, but to keep the civ style.

In December 2011, Gedemon (http://forums.civfanatics.com/member.php?u=51718) hadn't been around in a while, and I was getting antsy for new updates to his R.E.D. modpack (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383375) so I could then update my Single Unit Graphics (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=415885) mod to include all the great new units released by danrell (http://forums.civfanatics.com/member.php?u=107905) and bernie14 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/member.php?u=109719) since the last R.E.D. update.

So I decided to carry on his mission... (and Gedemon has since endorsed this as the official continuation of his mod for now)

...redacted...

Additional recommended mods for use with ED:

With R.E.D. scaling: Smaller Landmarks (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=18526) shrinks resources, features, and improvements to better mesh with the unit scale.
With Single Unit Graphics: Simple Unit Icon Disabler (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=18132) adds a toggle to the map options menu to disable the unit icons hovering over units' heads. Or you could try FlagPromotions (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=389192) (note that Civ V Unofficial Patch (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15667) has FlagPromotions built-in).

If you're having problems, and you're new to mods, here's a nice checklist for troubleshooting CiV mods generally (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10901714#post10901714).

Note: Just as with Gedemon's pack, you're free to use any part of Ethnic Diversity in your own mods, just remember to give Gedemon mad props (i.e., lots of credit) with second billing to me (Nutty) for some minor contributions. ;)

Nutty
Dec 15, 2011, 04:00 PM
POLL #1 REMOVED.

Which options do you use with Ethnic Diversity?

Please leave a short comment on the poll website if "I tried it, but I didn't like it" applies to you.
Thanks!

Results as of 24 June 2012:
87 voters
Which options do you use with Ethnic Diversity?|votes|%

default scaling:| 21 | 24.1 % ==

Single Unit Graphics:| 13 | 14.9 % =

R.E.D. Unofficial:| 59 | 67.8 % =======

Optional Units:| 24 | 27.6 % ===

None of the above (I tried it, but I didn't like it.):| 2 | _2.3 %

POLL #2 REMOVED.

How should Civs share ethnic units (especially during WWII)?
OK, I'm going to be releasing the new beta soon, but...

I'm still trying to decide how to deal with units as applied to the new civs from Gods + Kings. I have created a poll in case you (yes, you!) want a say.

For example: I'm currently using Swedish units for Denmark (since Firaxis had conflated the Scandinavians already). Now that Sweden is going in to G+K, I need to decide what to do with Denmark. Obviously, it's not likely we'll be getting any WWII units for them. Since they were occupied by Germany early in the war, and there were many Nazi collaborationists, should they share German WWII-era units? Or continue to share units with their Swedish neighbors (who were busy trying to remain neutral, but helped train Danish resistance)? Or... should they just go back to using vanilla units?

As for the other G+K civs, I'm thinking the Huns should get the modern Hungary units for geographical reasons even if the ethnic ones are suspect. I've already mentioned the issues with the Celts and Byzantium, but Sweden and the Netherlands are pretty much covered, at least.

Similar issues abound. I could potentially do lots of sharing based on who was invading/colonizing whom.

Anyway, let me know what ya'll think. Feel free to leave blanks: the default is to use vanilla units.

Please post comments on the poll website so I don't clutter up this thread too much with this discussion.
Thanks!

POLL #2 REMOVED.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to put Austria in the poll. If Austria sharing with Germany doesn't fit with your "Generally" vote, leave a comment on the poll website.

Results as of 24 June 2012:
21 voters
How should Civs share ethnic units (especially during WWII)?|votes|%

1. Generally, ethnic units should be shared where they fit:| 14 | 66.7 % =======

2. Generally, ethnic units should be limited to one Civ:| 2 | _9.5 % =

1. Huns should use Hungary - subsumed, geographical:| 12 | 57.1 % ======

2. Huns should share with Mongolia (nothing to share) - subsumed, ethnic:| 4 | 19.0 % ==

1. Byzantium shares with Greece - subsumed, cultural:| 12 | 57.1 % ======

2. Byzantium shares with Rome - subsumed, historical:| 11 | 52.4 % =====

3. Byzantium should share with Ottomans (nothing to share) - subsumed, geographical:| 1 | _4.8 %

1. Celts (as Ireland, Scotland, and Wales) share with England - subsumed, cultural:| 15 | 71.4 % =======

2. Celts (as Gaul) share with France - subsumed, geographic:| 4 | 19.0 % ==

1. Denmark shares with Germany - occupied, collaboration:| 3 | 14.3 % =

2. Denmark shares with Sweden - occupied, resistance:| 12 | 57.1 % ======

- Polynesia (as Hawaii) and Iroquois share with America - subsumed, natives:| 9 | 42.9 % ====

- Aztec and Maya (as Central America) and Inca (as South America) share with America - allies:| 4 | 19.0 % ==

- Spain shares with Germany - ally (Blue division), divided in midst of civil war:| 4 | 19.0 % ==

- Siam (as Thailand) shares with Japan - nominal ally:| 5 | 23.8 % ==

- Korea shares with Japan - annexed:| 10 | 47.6 % =====

- Mongolia shares with Russia - puppet:| 8 | 38.1 % ====

- Babylon (as Iraq) and India share with England - puppets, but played both sides:| 6 | 28.6 % ===

- Songhai (as Mali) and Carthage (as Tunisia) share with France - colonies:| 7 | 33.3 % ===

- Ethiopia shares with Rome (Italy) - colony, though liberated early on:| 2 | _9.5 % =

PAVLOS_GR300
Dec 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
very nice.

black213
Dec 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
Compatible with VEM?

Nutty
Dec 17, 2011, 12:52 PM
Compatible with VEM?

Yes, with VEM, but there is a small conflict with CiVUP. As long as Ethnic Diversity is loaded afterwards, it's fine (any unit mod has the same issue) [EDIT 4/23/2012: Newer builds of CiVUP no longer conflict, though VEM still must be loaded before ED. You can try updating the modinfo files with the ones attached to the end of the first post to ensure the proper loading order is achieved.]

Note, however, that the Single Unit Graphics add-on will conflict with CiVUP FlagPromotions in this beta release, but the full release will not [EDIT: fixed in beta 2]. I want to release another mod that will get the unit icons out of the way of units' heads, but I plan to make it modular and release it separately as a recommended addition to SUG, and I'll make sure it meshes with CiVUP FP.

EDIT: OK, I made the simplistic solution in this first build of EDSUG modular. See below:
If you want to disable unit icons (note that they can be re-enabled ingame through the map options menu), download the mod here: Simple Unit Icon Disabler (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=18132).
(Simple Unit Icon Disabler is NOT compatible with CiVUP FlagPromotions, but if you're using it, you already have this functionality built-in, but disabled by default).

kris159
Dec 20, 2011, 01:08 PM
Great. I've been waiting for R.E.D. to be updated. Thanks =D. Gedemon, apparently, had a lot of new content ready for the next release, but was instead working on his WWII Europe scenario.

I hope all goes well =)

Pouakai
Dec 20, 2011, 01:26 PM
This is the first RED version I've downloaded, looking foward to trying it out. Cheers for doing this mate, good job.

maykay
Dec 21, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hey all! First of all, let me say that this is excellent, I liked the original R.E.D. and to carry it onwards is just great. How does it interact with unit mods (for example, the Marine mod or the Balanced Sniper mod) and with mods of civilizations whose unique units have custom art (Scotland and its Highlander, for example)?

Nutty
Dec 21, 2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks, folks! I appreciate it.

How does it interact with unit mods (for example, the Marine mod or the Balanced Sniper mod) and with mods of civilizations whose unique units have custom art (Scotland and its Highlander, for example)?

See the readme.txt above (and the pertinent section below).

-- Compatibility --

R.E.D. includes arts defines for units from some mods (Balanced Sniper Mod, City-State Diplomacy Mod, City States UU, Civ Scotland, Dutch Civilization, Dutch Republic, Explorer, History in the Making II/Hitm2, NiGHTS of Civilization, Polish Empire, Queen of the Iceni, Total Mod, and Ynaemp Dynamic History).
To use those mods with this one, make sure that you've installed and activated R.E.D after all other mods.
Alternatively you can search Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers.xml and Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml in your mod folder and keep only the R.E.D. versions of those files.

Includes scaling for DLC's : Babylon, Mongolia, Spain, Inca, Polynesia, and Denmark (Korea is still pending) and Korea.

If units disappear or become spearman, try deleting the cache folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache\), and re-enable all your mods, but check R.E.D. LAST.

Nutty
Dec 21, 2011, 10:45 AM
Hm. I've been investigating the compatibility claims to see if newer versions add additional units. Most should be good, but in particular Total Mod compatibility hasn't been updated in a while. It looks like blazekid87 is now including quite a few units.

It'd be nice if we could come up with a standard naming convention between R.E.D. and the other mods that include ethnic units (e.g., Hulfgar's Modpack and Total Mod). And while we're at it, we could keep the shared art between them modular as much as possible, to prevent having to download the same units several times over.

EDIT: I'll include compatibility for (Kingdom of)/KongoCiv (v 3) and Putmalk's Ancient World (v 6) in the next release. Easy enough, as they each add one unit.

maykay
Dec 22, 2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks, Nutty! I'm gonna try a game with quite a few mods active, see what goes down.

PAVLOS_GR300
Dec 22, 2011, 12:33 PM
i think the greek knight should be replaced by the cataprach

apocalypse105
Dec 22, 2011, 01:01 PM
I dont understant what you mean with only works with loaded AFTER
You mean load a mod save and load the other mod?

If I want to play a game with :

VEM(en offical patch)
RED
add ons:
- Just Ethnic Diversity : unit scale reverted to match vanilla Civilization V
- Optional Units

How do i do this

thanxs in advance

Nutty
Dec 22, 2011, 04:44 PM
I dont understant what you mean with only works with loaded AFTER
You mean load a mod save and load the other mod?

I just mean which order you check the circles to the right of the mods. If there is a conflict, the last one checked wins.

EDIT: Try the new .modinfos to alleviate some of these difficulties.

Like I mentioned, CiVUP conflicts, so you just need to make sure one of the Ethnic Diversity mods is checked after CiVUP VEM is checked. All of the ED mods support all the units, so the scale will be determined by the last one. So, if you want vanilla sizing or single units, that would be after all other mods that affect unit art. If you want R.E.D. sizing, you make sure the base ED or ED Optional Units (if you're using it) is last.

In your case, use any order you like as long as Just Ethnic Diversity is last. [EDIT: Note that the vanilla scale of EDJED is default as of v12 stable.]

However, take note. This is in the readme, but let me try to be clearer:

Some of the default units have been changed in the Optional Units pack so Civs without an ethnic unit match the time period of their ethnic counterparts. If you want optional units and changed scale, you can activate one of the scaling mods afterwards, and the optional units will be added in, but those defaults will not be changed as they would if optional units was activated last.

I can post a EDJED and EDSUG for Optional Units if there's interest, but that will mean I have to maintain 7, rather than 5, sets of XML files (though the differences in this case are minimal). EDIT: Included in v12 stable.

I keep the optional units in a separate pack so I can stay true to Gedemon's philosophy, as I understand it, with R.E.D.

Anyway, if you want some of the optional units, but don't like an optional unit type (and I'm not sure I like them all), just delete the Optional\Units\newunits_<type>.sql file from the Optional Units mod. For instance, Missile Cruisers are way off; I put danrell's WWII cruisers in that category without thinking about it. After realizing my mistake, rather than throwing that work away, I threw them in with the Optional Units pack.

Nutty
Dec 22, 2011, 05:44 PM
i think the greek knight should be replaced by the cataprach

A cataphract? I'm no good at blender, so I only do reskins, and you can't really make a cataphract with a crusader helm.

maykay
Dec 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
Hey Nutty. Just wanted to tell you that I played a quick game with REDUO and a crapload of other mods activated (REDUO activated 2nd to last, REDUO-Optional Units activated last). The mods that had Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers.xml and Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml were Civ Scotland, Balanced Sniper mod and Unit Marine with NEW Graphics mod; these XML files I backed-up and deleted. I only have 2 problems to report (which to me is good news, give the number of mods I'm using simultaneously):

1- Skirmisher/Sniper/Modern Sniper units are spearmen (although other added units, like the Marine and Scotland's Highlander are 100% fine);
2- When I use a Sniper to 'bombard' and enemy unit, there's no animation nor sound; the enemy just loses health, and the floating red number appears (-3 or whatever the damage happens to be).

Problem 1 clearly seems like a conflict somewhere, but I can't understand where; problem 2, however, is weird. Could that be a known issue (or indeed feature!) of Balanced Sniper mod?

Morpheas
Dec 23, 2011, 05:37 AM
Does this work with CiVUP+VEM and NiGHTS? (The two seperate packs, obviously)

I got a few crashes when using the old (not this one) R.E.D. with NiGHTS

Nutty
Dec 23, 2011, 03:19 PM
Does this work with CiVUP+VEM and NiGHTS? (The two seperate packs, obviously)

I got a few crashes when using the old (not this one) R.E.D. with NiGHTS

R.E.D. wasn't made compatible with NiGHTS, but glancing at it, it can be done pretty easily (I'm not sure what I'd do for SUG tho with those added units, since they're just using 2 vanilla units together). Once that's done, just as before, you'll need to have Ethnic Diversity or one of its add-ons after CiVUP and NiGHTS.

1- Skirmisher/Sniper/Modern Sniper units are spearmen (although other added units, like the Marine and Scotland's Highlander are 100% fine);
2- When I use a Sniper to 'bombard' and enemy unit, there's no animation nor sound; the enemy just loses health, and the floating red number appears (-3 or whatever the damage happens to be).

As far as Balanced Sniper v3 [at least as to issue #1], that's similarly no biggie. I'm not sure what's going on with issue #2, but I don't think that's caused by R.E.D.

maykay
Dec 23, 2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, Nutty. How is #1 no biggie? They're spearmen :P I already deleted the two XML files in the Sniper mod folder, and I activated the Sniper mod first, then R.E.D., then Optional units...but they're spearmen. How would you have me solve it?

As for #2, I'll re-download the mod, and we'll see what happens. Thanks.

PAVLOS_GR300
Dec 24, 2011, 09:11 AM
about the cataprach there may be alreay maken unit because of the many byzantian empire civs

gnome
Dec 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
Can someone explain the optional units? I'm not sure I understand what would happen if I installed it.

Nutty
Dec 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the reply, Nutty. How is #1 no biggie?

:lol: No biggie for me to fix, I mean.

about the cataprach there may be alreay maken unit because of the many byzantian empire civs

I'm sure there's a Civ4 unit, but again that requires some work with Blender to convert. Post in the unit request thread (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=383437) (though it doesn't usually do much good).

Can someone explain the optional units? I'm not sure I understand what would happen if I installed it.

It adds additional ethnic units that don't quite fit in with vanilla. In some cases, I've changed the default unit to match. Some are arguable, like WWII paratroopers and WWII carriers. Some are further off. There's some truck- or half-track mounted anti-aircraft guns. A couple Napoleonic musketmen. Songhai's been given the Zulu Impi. And as I mentioned, the missile cruisers are way off.

I haven't added any new unit types, however, so gameplay is not changed at all (just art). I'd really love to throw in danrell's biplanes, for instance, but that's a different mod.

PAVLOS_GR300
Dec 25, 2011, 03:55 AM
i wil take a look at the civs thread because there are mods which make byzantium playable with cataprach as uu but i cant right now

Nutty
Dec 25, 2011, 12:04 PM
i wil take a look at the civs thread because there are mods which make byzantium playable with cataprach as uu but i cant right now

I don't think any of them are using a new model. They're just knights with better stats.

PAVLOS_GR300
Dec 25, 2011, 01:25 PM
ok so it is my fault

maykay
Dec 26, 2011, 07:21 AM
Haha, ok, thanks Nutty :P

PAVLOS_GR300
Dec 26, 2011, 09:48 AM
the greek destroyer even if it has already changed to a unique one for some reason i keep seeing the vanilia version

maykay
Dec 29, 2011, 02:26 PM
I'm playing a game with the French and built a Battleship (Battleship Richelieu, if I'm not mistaken). Two things happen:
1- I don't see the actual unit on the map,just the unit icon;
2- When I try to shoot at an enemy with it, the game crashes.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

EDIT: hmm,found something, but only half-solves the problem:

in the Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml, you have
<Type>ART_DEF_UNIT_BATTLESHIP_RICHELIEU</Type>
<DamageStates>3</DamageStates>
<UnitMemberArt>
<MemberType>ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_BATTLESHIP_DUNKERQUE</MemberType>
Is that supposed to be DUNKERQUE or RICHELIEU?

I changed it to RICHELIEU and it allowed me to shoot (and damage) enemy units (no unit art or sound, though). However, when I tried to KILL an enemy, it crashed again.

Nutty
Dec 29, 2011, 03:46 PM
the greek destroyer even if it has already changed to a unique one for some reason i keep seeing the vanilia version

It looks like I didn't capitalize something in the destroyer SQL properly. I didn't think that would matter, but I think that might have done the trick. I'll be uploading beta 2 today, with fixes for all of the reported issues so far. Watch the first post.

I'm playing a game with the French and built a Battleship (Battleship Richelieu, if I'm not mistaken). Two things happen:
1- I don't see the actual unit on the map,just the unit icon;
2- When I try to shoot at an enemy with it, the game crashes.

Did you try deleting your cache folder?

From the readme:
If units disappear or become spearman, try deleting the cache folder (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache\), and re-enable all your mods, but check R.E.D. LAST.

maykay
Dec 29, 2011, 04:17 PM
Yes, I deleted the cache folder. That code that I posted (the one about DUNKERQUE) is suspicious. Also, in the Richelieu_Class.fxsxml, it refers to Destroyer assets, not Battleship. Is that what's supposed to be there?

PAVLOS_GR300
Dec 30, 2011, 07:22 AM
is there any chance to make ur mod compatible with the "Ancient Mediterranean Civs - Greek Epic (by Numitor and ambrox62)"(it doesnt add any new skins so far)

Nutty
Dec 30, 2011, 11:59 AM
Is that supposed to be DUNKERQUE or RICHELIEU?

Thanks, I did switch the French Battleship, and missed that reference. It should be Richelieu in both places.

Also, in the Richelieu_Class.fxsxml, it refers to Destroyer assets, not Battleship. Is that what's supposed to be there?

As far as the Destroyer references in the fxsxml, it came that way from danrell, but it shouldn't matter for the sound issue. After changing the reference you mention, I also had the sound issue the first time I tried it. This may have been an issue with cached resources, because the second time I tried it was fine. Did you try clearing your cache again after making the change above?

is there any chance to make ur mod compatible with the "Ancient Mediterranean Civs - Greek Epic (by Numitor and ambrox62)"(it doesnt add any new skins so far)

There shouldn't be any conflict. R.E.D. should change the unit scale/number just fine without interacting with gameplay at all.

maykay
Jan 01, 2012, 04:16 PM
Damn...I don't understand. I made the change to the xml file, deleted the cache, re-enabled the mod, started a game with the French....and the battleship is still invisible. After I edit the xml file, do I have to do anything in R.E.D. UNOFFICIAL (v 12).modinfo? Like the file md5...

Nutty
Jan 01, 2012, 05:58 PM
After I edit the xml file, do I have to do anything in R.E.D. UNOFFICIAL (v 12).modinfo? Like the file md5...

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. No, the md5 doesn't matter.

I did put up beta 2. Does that fix the problem for you?

maykay
Jan 01, 2012, 07:22 PM
Nutty, you're awesome. Beta 2 fixed it. Thank you so much for your work.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jan 02, 2012, 07:41 AM
the mod i said before puts some more civs.so i asked if u can make all of those civs to have the geeks units graphics(the mod is named greek epic and has only greek civs)

PAVLOS_GR300
Jan 06, 2012, 08:38 AM
is this compatible with putmaks ancient world v8 or only with v6?also is there any ethnic divesity or only size changes?

Nutty
Jan 06, 2012, 03:58 PM
the mod i said before puts some more civs.so i asked if u can make all of those civs to have the geeks units graphics(the mod is named greek epic and has only greek civs)

I can do this, but I've been trying to figure out as a general matter whether I should. I'll do a one-time thing for you if you want. But my understanding based on my reading of the mod's thread is that it will eventually be scenario-driven, like Putmalk's, and be constrained to the ancient era. I also worry where this kind of thing will stop. Should I try to put in every new civilization that the modding community has created? Only the ones where the unit selections would be obvious? Is it really obvious that e.g., modern-day Amazons would be using Greek bombers? Should I make those decisions without the input of the mod creator?

is this compatible with putmaks ancient world v8 or only with v6?also is there any ethnic divesity or only size changes?

Putmalk added another unit in v7, but based on his comment in the file, I'm not sure that it's being used yet. If that's the case, both the scale and the ethnic diversity should work fine, as far as it goes. However, diversity is limited during the ancient era (with the notable exception of bernie14's swordsmen). However, danrell appears to be working hard on those conversions. Of course, as above, the new Civs won't be accounted for, and then it's the same thing where I have to decide that, e.g., the Hittites should get the Ottoman models, etc.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jan 07, 2012, 09:44 AM
i agree with u ,that u cant predict what the expired civs would use in the future but for example the differences between the west and east soldiers are obvius in any era

about the greek epic i i just said if for example the spartans can use the greek inf model and for most greek civs(i say most bec of the amazons) it is realistic but i agree that we must wait for them to release a full mod and not single civs.

Sig1
Jan 21, 2012, 04:13 AM
The new skins don't show up somehow.. however the rescaling does.

Nutty
Jan 21, 2012, 01:39 PM
The new skins don't show up somehow.. however the rescaling does.

Hm... it sounds like you may have enabled one of the add-ons without enabling the base mod.

Sig1
Jan 22, 2012, 09:46 AM
Hm... it sounds like you may have enabled one of the add-ons without enabling the base mod.

I just downloaded the main file, put it into my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 5\mods and that was it.. did I forget something?

Nutty
Jan 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
I just downloaded the main file, put it into my documents\my games\sid meier's civilization 5\mods and that was it.. did I forget something?

Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial) comprises three mods (or four, if you include the optional units). Which one(s) did you enable in the mods menu?

Sig1
Jan 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
R.E.D. Unofficial comprises three mods (or four, if you include the optional units). Which one(s) did you enable in the mods menu?

All of them

Nutty
Jan 25, 2012, 04:57 PM
All of them

Does that include the Optional Units? Are they actually vanilla models where they should be ethnic models, or do they show up as spearman?

There's no need to have all of them active since Just Ethnic Diversity and Single Unit Graphics are (mostly) just different scaling options. On the other hand, that shouldn't have hurt anything.

Very odd... Have you tried clearing your cache?

Nutty
Jan 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
Update!
1/27/2012: Now that I've got the Korea and Wonders DLC integrated, v12 is going gold.
Note that I've changed the name from "R.E.D. Unofficial" to "Ethnic Diversity," and vanilla scale is now the default. R.E.D. scaling is now enabled via an add-on.
...and...
NEW! For those using R.E.D. scaling, Smaller Landmarks (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=18526) shrinks resources, features, and improvements to better mesh with the unit scale.

Nutty
Jan 30, 2012, 07:43 PM
Aw crap. I've already found a largish bug. I left a lot of the R.E.D. formation entries in the default (vanilla) scaling, and it results in some serious crowding.

EDIT: Sorry about that! Fixed it in 12.01. I'll have to fix Optional Units later tonight.

I've also attached just the changed files to this message. Just copy them into your Ethnic Diversity (v 12)\XML folder.

EDIT #2: Similarly I've attached the changed files for Optional Units. Just copy the folders to your Ethnic Diversity - Optional Units (v 12) folder.

EDIT #3: Sigh. New bugfix. See first post.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jan 31, 2012, 05:21 AM
what was the problem of the v2 beta ???i found no bugs

Nutty
Jan 31, 2012, 02:51 PM
what was the problem of the v2 beta ???i found no bugs

No bug fixes, just the addition of the Korea and Wonders DLC.

littleot316
Jan 31, 2012, 11:24 PM
For some reason the RED units appear vertical in game; tanks and ships.

Help

Nutty
Feb 01, 2012, 02:08 AM
For some reason the RED units appear vertical in game; tanks and ships.

Help

I had the same problem at one point, and I wish I knew what I did to make it go away. I assume you've tried clearing the cache. Are you running the latest patch of the game?

EDIT: See below. Fixed in v12.02.

Catalonia
Feb 01, 2012, 07:56 AM
Can you do 50 graphics units?

Nutty
Feb 01, 2012, 01:07 PM

I'm not sure what you mean. There are more than 100 units added by this mod, and 40 more in the optional units pack.

Or is it that you want the R.E.D. scaling to go even smaller, and have 50 infantry models per unit?

Gedemon
Feb 02, 2012, 08:16 AM
Good job and many thanks for keeping R.E.D. updated :goodjob:

As I've said, I won't have time to update all my mods, and the WWII one will have the priority, so I hope you're okay with keeping R.E.D. in your mod. (and again, having one base mod and optional size/formations is a good idea)

I had the same problem at one point, and I wish I knew what I did to make it go away. I assume you've tried clearing the cache. Are you running the latest patch of the game?
As a fix you should include the Edited_Aim_State folder from Danrell in your base mod, with VFS set to true for all files in it.

Those files are needed by Danrell's units, and even if it will also works if you've copied the folder directly in the game main installation folder, I think it's safer (and easier for the user) to have it deployed directly with the mod.

Catalonia
Feb 02, 2012, 08:20 AM

I'm not sure what you mean. There are more than 100 units added by this mod, and 40 more in the optional units pack.

Or is it that you want the R.E.D. scaling to go even smaller, and have 50 infantry models per unit?

No, I'm saying 1 rifleman=50 grahpic rifleman(like the single graphics)

Pouakai
Feb 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
That would be incrediably taxing on system hardware, I believe

Nutty
Feb 02, 2012, 02:17 PM
Good job and many thanks for keeping R.E.D. updated :goodjob:
Thank you for a wonderful mod that I did little more than copy and tweak.

...so I hope you're okay with keeping R.E.D. in your mod. (and again, having one base mod and optional size/formations is a good idea)
Oh, that was always part of the plan, unless you had qualms about it.

As a fix you should include the Edited_Aim_State folder... I think it's safer (and easier for the user) to have it deployed directly with the mod.
Ah! The folder is included in the copy to common folder, but I had no idea that it was moddable (nor, I think, did danrell). EDIT: See the first post, I've put up a new version (and a hotfix).

No, I'm saying 1 rifleman=50 grahpic rifleman(like the single graphics)
Sure, it's possible, but...
That would be incrediably taxing on system hardware, I believe
I had the same thought.

Pouakai
Feb 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
On a side note, Nutty, are you able to create the new units, or import them from Civ 4? I might require your help with a mod of mine, if you're available...

Nutty
Feb 03, 2012, 01:54 AM
On a side note, Nutty, are you able to create the new units, or import them from Civ 4? I might require your help with a mod of mine, if you're available...

I've only been doing reskins. I've played with Blender a little, but I was daunted. I've always intended on going through those tutorials at some point... Maybe I will, since I got laid off and now have some time on my hands.

cleaner
Feb 03, 2012, 10:05 AM
Hello Nutty,
am I right assuming that the "Edited_Animations" folder doesn't need to be in the common folder anymore with version 12.02?
Also regarding the optional units, do they work in a way that for example Germany's Paratroopers will always look like they're from WW2, no matter in which era you currently are?

Thanks in advance. :)

Nutty
Feb 03, 2012, 12:04 PM
am I right assuming that the "Edited_Animations" folder doesn't need to be in the common folder anymore with version 12.02?
If you redownload the mod (vs. applying the bugfix), the Edited_Animations folder has been moved out of the "copy to common" folder. For the bugfix, I've just imported those files into the VFS without moving them (if you are using the bugfix, and move them, you'll have to change the modinfo file). I'd like littleot316 or someone else with the "sunk" ships and tanks to let me know if Gedemon was right, so I can be sure that it's really doing the trick for them. You'll still need to copy the civ5artdefines_viseffects.xml file to the common folder to fix a couple of animations (y'know, that reminds me, I never fixed the vis effects for Single Unit Graphics).

Also regarding the optional units, do they work in a way that for example Germany's Paratroopers will always look like they're from WW2, no matter in which era you currently are?
Yes, they will always look like they're from WWII if you use Optional Units. But that's the same as most units in the vanilla game. You can keep a warrior around, and it will always look the same. I suppose I could make all of them revert to the vanilla unit when the Future era is entered. Since the Optional Units are in that pack because they go beyond the scope that Gedemon has maintained (simply because they require me to change the default unit to maintain consistency), I guess I don't have a problem futzing with that pack even further. I suppose I could do the same with carriers and the anachronistic missile cruisers (though since missile cruisers are going to be unlocked at the end of the Modern era, they won't keep the ethnic models very long).

EDIT: I suppose I could wait to apply the Napoleonic musketmen until the Industrial era (though you'll have unlocked rifling by then, so similar result for the opposite reason). And again, like the missile cruisers, but ooh! I can stick biplanes in for fighters until the modern era. Dreadnoughts for battleships! What fun! :)

EDIT #2: Early tanks, too!

Gedemon
Feb 03, 2012, 12:37 PM
tested, the new version is working here, no more sunk ships & tanks ;)

Nutty
Feb 03, 2012, 01:48 PM
tested, the new version is working here, no more sunk ships & tanks ;)
Great to hear, thanks!

I suppose I could make all of them revert to the vanilla unit when the Future era is entered...
Hm... now that I look at the SQL tables, I'm not sure how Firaxis is changing the units by era. Has someone replicated this behavior already, or is it a hardcoded thing? I can only find where 'UnitArtInfoEraVariation' can be set to true, but not how the changeover to the new artdefines are defined.

cleaner
Feb 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive answers. :) I look forward to further updates to this outstanding mod. :) :worship:

Sneaks
Feb 04, 2012, 10:27 PM
Great to hear, thanks!

Hm... now that I look at the SQL tables, I'm not sure how Firaxis is changing the units by era. Has someone replicated this behavior already, or is it a hardcoded thing? I can only find where 'UnitArtInfoEraVariation' can be set to true, but not how the changeover to the new artdefines are defined.

Workers and Great People are the key to understanding era variance. I believe era variance only means ancient and industrial.

Nutty
Feb 22, 2012, 06:18 AM
Workers and Great People are the key to understanding era variance. I believe era variance only means ancient and industrial.

Thanks to Pazyryk, I got halfway there with era variance using just a couple of custom SQL columns and a few lines of LUA (as far as which unit class the player is allowed to build in a given era). However, automatically changing all of the existing units of a class to the next class requires a bit more work. Luckily, there's some prior art in, e.g., Gedemon's WWII scenario.

However, it looks like the new Gods & Kings expansion is going to add a lot of the units I was interested in using with my era variation feature (including WWI-era biplane fighters and bombers, and "land ship" tanks), so the wind has been let out of my sails.

In the meantime... of the 5 known (out of 9) new civs in G&K, Netherlands already has quite a few units ready to slip right in (bomber, destroyer, fighter, infantry, submarine, and tank; plus optional units for cruiser, paratrooper, and Napoleonic musketman), and I've already added these to my latest betas.

As to the other 4 known civs, it's always tough to allocate units to civs that were subsumed by other civs, so they will probably end up sharing units...

EDIT: Although... I have no idea what to do with Byzantium and Celtia. Byzantium really screws up the neat, if historically suspect, transition from Ancient Rome to modern Italy, and Ancient Greece to modern Greece. Celtia has a similar problem for the opposite reason. The Celtic peoples spread over Germany, France, Spain, and England. The language and culture survived longer on the British Isles, but that doesn't mean they should "become" England. Unless... maybe we just take the English units and throw some kilts on 'em and call it done. :mischief:

Nutty
Feb 29, 2012, 05:34 PM
Notice another bugfix has been posted (see the first post). A few small issues. I don't know how the wrong fScale snuck into the modern armors (default scaling only), but I'm surprised no one mentioned it given the fact that there have been nearly 1000 downloads of the full pack since the first beta. Are most people using R.E.D. scale, I wonder?

POLL #1: Click the picture below to take the poll.

Which options do you use with Ethnic Diversity?
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/Nutzzzo/CiV/poll.png (http://poll.pollcode.com/0whp)

Please leave a short comment on the poll website if "I tried it, but I didn't like it" applies to you.
Thanks!

PR0927
Mar 01, 2012, 12:38 AM
I've been using the R.E.D. Unofficial scaling. Not interested in default or single-unit.

Never tried the optional units pack. I'm a bit confused - what exactly does it add, and how much do they change gameplay?

- PR-0927

Nutty
Mar 01, 2012, 03:30 AM
Never tried the optional units pack. I'm a bit confused - what exactly does it add, and how much do they change gameplay?

The whole philosophy for this mod carries over from Gedemon's (and my original Single Unit Graphics mod). These are cosmetic changes only. The gameplay changes not a whit. And that includes the Optional Units pack.

The Optional Units are not quite right for one reason or another, but my thought in these cases was that since someone took the time to make or convert this unit to CiV, and it's almost right, we might as well use it. Mostly this occurs because danrell's unit packs were focused on WWII. For danrell's units, I also throw out the vanilla model in favor of another generic WWII-era one that matches its ethnic counterparts.

No matter what, though, the gameplay remains the same.

At the same time, Gedemon and I have both tried to add support for other mods that add new units and do change gameplay or add civilizations, that would otherwise conflict.

cleaner
Mar 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
Which of the parts of your mod could theoretically make the game crash? I had constant game crashes with multiple mods enabled and so started a game with just CivUP+VEM which worked fine. Now that I added your mod, the crashes came back. I deleted the cache and moduserdata folders and enabled your mods last, so it shouldn't be anything on my end.

Nutty
Mar 26, 2012, 05:18 AM
Which of the parts of your mod could theoretically make the game crash? I had constant game crashes with multiple mods enabled and so started a game with just CivUP+VEM which worked fine. Now that I added your mod, the crashes came back. I deleted the cache and moduserdata folders and enabled your mods last, so it shouldn't be anything on my end.

I haven't heard of any crashes directly related to ED, though I know at one point the method I'm using for Smaller Landmarks caused crashes--are you running that? What are all of the mods you are using? Are you running the latest CiV patch?

cleaner
Mar 26, 2012, 11:38 AM
I haven't heard of any crashes directly related to ED, though I know at one point the method I'm using for Smaller Landmarks caused crashes--are you running that? What are all of the mods you are using? Are you running the latest CiV patch?

I was using the Smaller Landmarks one in the past, but since I got constant crashes I decided to just try with the CivUP/VEM mod and completed a game without problems. My plan was to add mods one by one and so I just added yours, including the R.E.D. scaling and optional units parts. It crashes now after I press "Next Turn" and also when trying to load the game. I'm using the newest patch.

St0Ne 4Ge
Mar 27, 2012, 10:15 AM
I was using the Smaller Landmarks one in the past, but since I got constant crashes I decided to just try with the CivUP/VEM mod and completed a game without problems. My plan was to add mods one by one and so I just added yours, including the R.E.D. scaling and optional units parts. It crashes now after I press "Next Turn" and also when trying to load the game. I'm using the newest patch.

Hi cleaner, I'm not sure what the problem is you are experiencing. I have installed the CivUP and VEM with this mod, I used the optional part which scales the units down like original R.E.D. I am quite inexperienced with this but are you installing both optional files as in the one that scales them down and the single unit graphics, might cause a conflict. Forgive me if I'm being a total nub though xD

I haven't had any conflicts though using just the CivUP/VEM just to let you know.

Pouakai
Mar 27, 2012, 12:13 PM
It might not be a conflict with this alone, could be one with this and some other mod you had activated

Nutty
Mar 28, 2012, 02:18 AM
My plan was to add mods one by one and so I just added yours, including the R.E.D. scaling and optional units parts. It crashes now after I press "Next Turn" and also when trying to load the game. I'm using the newest patch.

If you're saying that you deleted the cache folder and are running nothing else other than 1.CiVUP+VEM, 2.ED, 3.EDOU, 4.EDREDUO (activated in that order), then... I dunno! I just tried using just that configuration, and I don't have a problem, nor do a small sampling of other people.

EDIT: Here's a good checklist that works for troubleshooting mods generally (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10901714#post10901714). However, I suspect something is corrupted with the unit art (for which you can redownload both mods, especially ED). Perhaps CiVUP's version of civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml is winning out (you could just delete it from CiVUP).

In a pinch, you can go the extreme route and delete and reinstall Civilization V... maybe start with reinstalling Windows. :rolleyes:

I am quite inexperienced with this but are you installing both optional files as in the one that scales them down and the single unit graphics, might cause a conflict.

No, that shouldn't cause a crash. One just overrides the other.

cleaner
Mar 28, 2012, 05:44 PM
Hello again Nutty, Pouakai and St0Ne 4Ge. :)

Right now my game is working fine since last time I posted. It really appears that it was the civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml file from CivUP which caused the crashes. I was sure it would be enough to just load your mod last, but I decided to delete the file and now it's working fine. :) I don't know why CivUP's file wins over yours though.

Nutty
Mar 28, 2012, 09:05 PM
...now it's working fine. :) I don't know why CivUP's file wins over yours though.

Well, that's good to hear! Usually clearing the cache allows you to get the order right, but when all else fails....

cleaner
Mar 29, 2012, 08:05 PM
Well, that's good to hear! Usually clearing the cache allows you to get the order right, but when all else fails....

Yeah. :) Unfortunately now I realized that for example the Minuteman unit that CivUP adds for America is missing in my game...
I already made a post in Thal's forum, looking for the best way to combine your file with his if possible.

Nutty
Mar 30, 2012, 09:25 AM
Yeah. :) Unfortunately now I realized that for example the Minuteman unit that CivUP adds for America is missing in my game...
I already made a post in Thal's forum, looking for the best way to combine your file with his if possible.

The Minuteman is America's unique unit in the vanilla game. I don't think CivUP+VEM adds any unit [models].

cleaner
Mar 30, 2012, 03:08 PM
The Minuteman is America's unique unit in the vanilla game. I don't think CivUP+VEM adds any units.

Oops. :blush: He posted it would have been a bug that has been fixed by now. :) So I guess I raised a false alarm there. Sorry about that. :blush:;)

dorianm86
Apr 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
Great mod! :) Really adds some depth to the game experience.

I have a question, though. I was wondering if you, Nutty, or anyone else who's got some knowledge about this, could post a brief explanation of what do we have to edit in the mod, to enable these unique unit graphics also on other mods (other new civs). EDIT: or on the contrary, what do we have to edit on other mods, to enable the graphics used in the Ethnic Diversity mod.

For example, I've made a new civilization, Iran during the Safavid Dynasty. I'd like to see the Persian swordsman unique unit graphic from the Ethnic diversity mod to replace the regular swordsman graphic. And same goes for some other units (in some cases I might even get some Ottoman or Arabian graphics, everything to avoid European looks :D). What do I have to edit? The Ethnic Diversity mod or rather my Iranian civ's unit.xml and apply UnitArtInfo from the Ethnic Diversity mod?

If there's already an explanation somewhere, please let me know, I didn't scroll the entire topic.

I thought of trying messing with the Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml and Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers.xml by myself, but I'd rather try for a quick explanation, than risk crashing everything.

Nutty
Apr 02, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'd like to see the Persian swordsman unique unit graphic from the Ethnic diversity mod to replace the regular swordsman graphic. And same goes for some other units (in some cases I might even get some Ottoman or Arabian graphics, everything to avoid European looks :D). What do I have to edit? The Ethnic Diversity mod or rather my Iranian civ's unit.xml and apply UnitArtInfo from the Ethnic Diversity mod?

Sure, that's an easy one. You'd just edit the newunits_*.sql files in the Units folder. For the swordsman, for instance, you'd duplicate the lines from newunits_swordsman.sql:
INSERT INTO "Civilization_UnitClassOverrides" ( 'CivilizationType', 'UnitClassType', 'UnitType' )
VALUES ( 'CIVILIZATION_PERSIA', 'UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN', 'UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN' ); and then change CIVILIZATION_PERSIA in the second entry to the civilization tag for your new civ (leave UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN the same, however).

So the full set of entries would look something like this:
-- Sassanid Swordsman - Persia
INSERT INTO "Units" ('Type', 'Description', 'Civilopedia', 'Strategy', 'Help', 'Requirements', 'Combat', 'RangedCombat', 'Cost', 'Moves', 'Immobile', 'Range', 'BaseSightRange', 'Class', 'Special', 'Capture', 'CombatClass', 'Domain', 'CivilianAttackPriority', 'DefaultUnitAI', 'Food', 'NoBadGoodies', 'RivalTerritory', 'MilitarySupport', 'MilitaryProduction', 'Pillage', 'Found', 'FoundAbroad', 'CultureBombRadius', 'GoldenAgeTurns', 'IgnoreBuildingDefense', 'PrereqResources', 'Mechanized', 'Suicide', 'CaptureWhileEmbarked', 'PrereqTech', 'ObsoleteTech', 'GoodyHutUpgradeUnitClass', 'HurryCostModifier', 'AdvancedStartCost', 'MinAreaSize', 'AirUnitCap', 'NukeDamageLevel', 'WorkRate', 'NumFreeTechs', 'RushBuilding', 'BaseHurry', 'HurryMultiplier', 'BaseGold', 'NumGoldPerEra', 'SpreadReligion', 'IsReligious', 'CombatLimit', 'RangeAttackOnlyInDomain', 'RangeAttackIgnoreLOS', 'RangedCombatLimit', 'XPValueAttack', 'XPValueDefense', 'SpecialCargo', 'DomainCargo', 'Conscription', 'ExtraMaintenanceCost', 'NoMaintenance', 'Unhappiness', 'UnitArtInfo', 'UnitArtInfoCulturalVariation', 'UnitArtInfoEraVariation', 'ProjectPrereq', 'SpaceshipProject', 'LeaderPromotion', 'LeaderExperience', 'DontShowYields', 'ShowInPedia', 'MoveRate', 'UnitFlagIconOffset', 'PortraitIndex', 'IconAtlas', 'UnitFlagAtlas')
SELECT ("UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), ("TXT_KEY_UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), "Civilopedia", "Strategy", "Help", "Requirements", "Combat", "RangedCombat", "Cost", "Moves", "Immobile", "Range", "BaseSightRange", "Class", "Special", "Capture", "CombatClass", "Domain", "CivilianAttackPriority", "DefaultUnitAI", "Food", "NoBadGoodies", "RivalTerritory", "MilitarySupport", "MilitaryProduction", "Pillage", "Found", "FoundAbroad", "CultureBombRadius", "GoldenAgeTurns", "IgnoreBuildingDefense", "PrereqResources", "Mechanized", "Suicide", "CaptureWhileEmbarked", "PrereqTech", "ObsoleteTech", "GoodyHutUpgradeUnitClass", "HurryCostModifier", "AdvancedStartCost", "MinAreaSize", "AirUnitCap", "NukeDamageLevel", "WorkRate", "NumFreeTechs", "RushBuilding", "BaseHurry", "HurryMultiplier", "BaseGold", "NumGoldPerEra", "SpreadReligion", "IsReligious", "CombatLimit", "RangeAttackOnlyInDomain", "RangeAttackIgnoreLOS", "RangedCombatLimit", "XPValueAttack", "XPValueDefense", "SpecialCargo", "DomainCargo", "Conscription", "ExtraMaintenanceCost", "NoMaintenance", "Unhappiness",
("ART_DEF_UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), "UnitArtInfoCulturalVariation", "UnitArtInfoEraVariation", "ProjectPrereq", "SpaceshipProject", "LeaderPromotion", "LeaderExperience", "DontShowYields", "ShowInPedia", "MoveRate", "UnitFlagIconOffset", "PortraitIndex", "IconAtlas", "UnitFlagAtlas"
FROM "Units" WHERE (Type = "UNIT_SWORDSMAN");
INSERT INTO "Language_en_US" ( 'Tag', 'Text' )
VALUES ( 'TXT_KEY_UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN', 'Swordsman Sassanid' );
INSERT INTO "Unit_AITypes" ('UnitType', 'UnitAIType')
SELECT ("UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), "UnitAIType"
FROM "Unit_AITypes" WHERE (UnitType = "UNIT_SWORDSMAN");
INSERT INTO "Unit_ClassUpgrades" ('UnitType', 'UnitClassType')
SELECT ("UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), "UnitClassType"
FROM "Unit_ClassUpgrades" WHERE (UnitType = "UNIT_SWORDSMAN");
INSERT INTO "Civilization_UnitClassOverrides" ( 'CivilizationType', 'UnitClassType', 'UnitType' )
VALUES ( 'CIVILIZATION_PERSIA', 'UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN', 'UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN' );
VALUES ( 'CIVILIZATION_SAFAVID', 'UNITCLASS_SWORDSMAN', 'UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN' );
INSERT INTO "Unit_Flavors" ('UnitType', 'FlavorType', 'Flavor')
SELECT ("UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), "FlavorType", "Flavor"
FROM "Unit_Flavors" WHERE (UnitType = "UNIT_SWORDSMAN");
INSERT INTO "Unit_FreePromotions" ('UnitType', 'PromotionType')
SELECT ("UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), "PromotionType"
FROM "Unit_FreePromotions" WHERE (UnitType = "UNIT_SWORDSMAN");
INSERT INTO "Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements" ('UnitType', 'ResourceType', 'Cost')
SELECT ("UNIT_PERSIAN_SWORDSMAN"), "ResourceType", "Cost"
FROM "Unit_ResourceQuantityRequirements" WHERE (UnitType = "UNIT_SWORDSMAN");
---------------
Note that you'll want to change (as I did above) the description of the unit (on the 7th line) to something that can cover both Civs, e.g., from "Swordsman Persia" to "Swordsman Sassanid" (so it's at least not referring directly to the name of another Civ), or maybe just a generic "Swordsman."

...Now, that gets ED working with your mod, but I don't know how you want to package it when you're ready for distribution. You could offer a separate hotfix to apply to Ethnic Diversity. I'd be happy to include those entries in the next release of this mod (since it won't hurt anything if people don't have the Civ in question installed).

dorianm86
Apr 03, 2012, 03:50 AM
Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

...Now, that gets ED working with your mod, but I don't know how you want to package it when you're ready for distribution. You could offer a separate hotfix to apply to Ethnic Diversity. I'd be happy to include those entries in the next release of this mod (since it won't hurt anything if people don't have the Civ in question installed).

As for the distribution, when my mod will be polished and ready for release, yes, I was thinking a separate hotfix would be a good idea (or adding those entries into one of your next updates). Though I'll first add those entries and play at least one full game with my Safavid mod, to test and see if it's stable and everything displays correctly as it should.

Somohexual
Apr 12, 2012, 08:56 AM
I was able to download the mod fine but when I go to set up a game my Civs have one of their UU's or UB's replaced with the tooltip for Infantry, Swordsman, Tank, or Musketeer. It's usually the second one that breaks too; for example, China has Chu-Ko-Nu listed first followed by Paper Maker so Paper Maker is the one that breaks.

http://i39.tinypic.com/118dhle.png

Any clue what this problem could be? D:

Thanks.

EDIT:

I noticed that some of my Civs aren't broken, here's a list of the ones that are...

- Babylon, Inca, Songhai, Siam, Russia, Persia, Iroquois, India, Egypt, China, Aztec, Arabia

Nutty
Apr 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
I was able to download the mod fine but when I go to set up a game my Civs have one of their UU's or UB's replaced with the tooltip for Infantry, Swordsman, Tank, or Musketeer.

Don't worry, this is only a cosmetic issue! The Civs' UU's and UB's will continue to work as designed.

This is a known issue, and it's mentioned in the readme. If you care to know why: We use the UU system in order to add the ethnic units. The Dawn of Man screen only has 2 slots, and it will always show the UU's first, followed by the UB's. Therefore, Civs with 2 UU's and no UB's look fine because the additional UU's provided here don't display. The Civs with one UU and one UB will show the UU in the first slot, and one of the ethnic units in the second slot instead of the UB.

albie_123
Apr 13, 2012, 09:39 AM
I love this mod, and just thought I'd bring this to your attention:

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?117844-MOD-UI-Multiple-Unique-Bonuses

Looks like it would go great with this mod.

Gedemon
Apr 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the link, I've missed that one.

albie_123
Apr 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I only found it myself yesterday. To be honest, I can't get it to work, and wanted to see how the more experienced modders managed with it. :lol:

Nutty
Apr 13, 2012, 01:11 PM
MOD: UI - Multiple Unique Bonuses
Looks like it would go great with this mod.

That is a cool one! Whoward69 has been quietly putting out a ton of really great mods in his UI series.

But I think including it might be confusing for users. It'd certainly be cool from the standpoint of "Look, the mod is working, and see all the ethnic units that are being added?" However, almost all the Civs have more than 4 or 5 ethnic units, so it won't be exhaustive, but most importantly I'd rather not conflate the two concepts of unique versus ethnic units.

Maybe if I changed the UI a bit to indicate the difference, but then I'd probably have to tease out in LUA which was vanilla (i.e., if there's a UB, pick that and the first UU, otherwise pick the first 2 UU's).

Either way, I guess I could explore that technique to fix the cosmetic bug.

EDIT: Or... hey, I could just make it easy on myself and always put UB's first. (Duh!)
:stupid:

albie_123
Apr 13, 2012, 10:59 PM
Very good points, and I do agree - having all the ethnic units up there would be confusing, as you'd naturally think all Civs suddenly have 5 uniques.

Small request though, if you do end up getting it working, could you send me a message on how you managed it? I can manage to get some of the lua working but for most of it, I think you have to replace the original Civ V files themselves.

Nutty
Apr 15, 2012, 02:05 PM
...but for most of it, I think you have to replace the original Civ V files themselves.

Right. That's what the mod's thread says: as a mod, this only affects the Dawn of Man loading screen. For the "Game Setup," "Select Civilization," and Civilopedia, you'll need to copy the files in the assets\UI\FrontEnd\GameSetup folder from the mod to the assets\UI\FrontEnd\GameSetup folder in your CiV directory. I can confirm it works fine for me.

As far as swapping the order to fix the cosmetic problem (originally it's 1.UU, 2.UB, 3.UI; I changed it to 1.UI, 2.UB, 3.UU), that technique works, but it has the same problem: as a mod, it only affects the loading screen. I'll probably include that solution with the next release of ED, anyway, and suggest that people may want to overwrite the UniqueBonuses.lua file with the modified one if the issue bothers them.

I'll attach the revised file to the end of the first post if anyone wants to play around with it. There are 3 places where ordering changes occur, but it looks like the only ones that do anything if the file is used in a mod are in the function starting on line 110. Note this is the vanilla version, not whoward69's, but making similar changes to his works similarly. It will ensure that UIs and UBs don't get left out, but note the order is rather odd.

If I get inspired, I may explore enhancing the loading screen using whoward69's version as a template.

albie_123
Apr 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the clarification. :goodjob:

Herb0815
Apr 17, 2012, 05:52 AM
Is this mod compatible with Unofficial Patch & Vanilla Enhanced by THAL?

albie_123
Apr 17, 2012, 06:12 AM
Load it afterwards, and it is. You'll have to add some XML to get it to work with the new VEM units, though.

Nutty
Apr 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
Load it afterwards, and it is. You'll have to add some XML to get it to work with the new VEM units, though.

Just to be clear, "it" is this mod that needs to be activated after the Unofficial Patch.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like Thal recently removed the civ5artdefines file from UOP that had caused the conflicts mentioned earlier in this thread. But to work as designed, VEM still needs to be first.

As far as the new units, albie_123 appears to be talking about the Levy, Skirmisher, and Light Infantry. From what I can see, they just reuse vanilla art defines, so I don't see why they wouldn't work out of the box. I'll take a look.

EDIT: No, they work just fine!

Gedemon
Apr 17, 2012, 02:01 PM
BTW Nutty, as dependencies/reference seems to be working ATM, you can set reference in the mod info to force loading in good order.

For example in the .modinfo file, there's the following code :

<Dependencies />
<References />
<Blocks />

In my local version of R.E.D. I'm using this instead :

<Dependencies>
</Dependencies>
<References>
<Mod id="01127f62-3896-4897-b169-ecab445786cd" minversion="0" maxversion="9999"/>
<Mod id="abaa043a-f851-4c61-bd18-52d480862cd0" minversion="0" maxversion="9999"/>
<Mod id="d0bc4a46-8a69-46b5-917a-8de842f82ed9" minversion="0" maxversion="9999"/>
</References>
<Blocks>
<Mod id="fb230d1a-dd7d-427b-8323-0e30aaf480c1" minversion="0" maxversion="9999"/>
<Mod id="6833786c-56f5-4fc4-bdb1-287c15ec3f08" minversion="0" maxversion="9999"/>
<Mod id="5f779307-3810-439c-9c9e-1c86be3c86cd" minversion="0" maxversion="9999"/>
</Blocks>

Where id are :
01127f62-3896-4897-b169-ecab445786cd = Unofficial Patch and Vanilla Enhanced
abaa043a-f851-4c61-bd18-52d480862cd0 = City State Diplomacy Mod
d0bc4a46-8a69-46b5-917a-8de842f82ed9 = City states UU

fb230d1a-dd7d-427b-8323-0e30aaf480c1 = Ethnic Diversity - Single Unit Graphics
6833786c-56f5-4fc4-bdb1-287c15ec3f08 = Ethnic Diversity - R.E.D. Unofficial
5f779307-3810-439c-9c9e-1c86be3c86cd = Ethnic Diversity

This tell the game to load CiVUP, CSD, and CS UU before R.E.D., so the last artinfo files loaded are the ones from R.E.D containing define for all the mods units as you know.

The Blocks section prevent my and your mod to be used at the same time.

In your case, putting Ethnic Diversity id in the dependency tag in Single Graphic and R.E.D. Unofficial modinfo will force it to be activated with those, and in one of them put the other's id in the block tag (and R.E.D. id in both block tag).

note : R.E.D. id is 8670da15-d435-44ea-9758-7438cb321411

Nutty
Apr 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
You'll have to add some XML to get it to work with the new VEM units, though.

What do you mean? The VE armies and VE barbarians look fine for me with vanilla scaling, R.E.D., and S.U.G., and all the stats appear to work as designed. VEM definitely needs to be loaded first, though.

But thanks to this...
BTW Nutty, as dependencies/reference seems to be working ATM, you can set reference in the mod info to force loading in good order.
...our lives can be made easier.

(Thanks for the heads-up, Gedemon!)

albie_123
Apr 18, 2012, 04:03 AM
Oh, sorry! You're absolutely right. I forgot that the new units used old artdefines. :mischief:

Eunomiac
Apr 23, 2012, 02:16 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to properly install this mod, as some of the instructions left me a little confused! Please let me know if this is correct, or if I've missed something (I would like to use ED + Optional Units, with R.E.D. scaling):

I wiped my cache, MODS and ModUserData folders, to start with a fresh install of everything.
I've downloaded and unzipped both the main 14.5MB pack, as well as the 5MB Optional Units pack. My ..\MODS\ folder includes the following:

..\Ethnic Diversity - Optional Units (v 12)\
..\Ethnic Diversity - R.E.D. Unofficial (v 12)\
..\Ethnic Diversity - Single Unit Graphics (v 12)\
..\Ethnic Diversity (v 12)\

I copied all XML files in ...Optional Units (v 12)\XML R.E.D. Unofficial\ to ...Optional Units (v 12)\XML\, renaming them accordingly (R.E.D. scaling of the optional units).
I copied everything in ..\Ethnic Diversity - R.E.D. Unofficial (v 12)\copy to common\ to ..\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\resource\Common\ (the propeller/archer optional fix — I assume the R.E.D. "copy to common" folder was the proper one, as opposed to (base) Ethnic Diversity (v 12)\copy to common\?)

... So that's where I'm at right now. Assuming that's correct, I have a question about which attachments (included under the headline "Bugfixes from v 12") I should use (listed here for easy reference):

Ethnic Diversity - Optional Units v 12.01 bugfix.zip
Ethnic Diversity v 12.03 bugfix.zip
EDUniqueBonuses.zip
Ethnic Diversity - Optional Units v 12.02 modinfo.zip
Ethnic Diversity v 12.04 modinfos.zip

I assume the first two, since they refer to the versions I'm running.

The third is also in, being the fix described in the 4/15/2012 update for the Dawn of Man/unique units issue.

But what about #4 and #5? They both appear to refer to future versions of Optional Units and Ethnic Diversity, respectively. Are they updates of the main files to those versions?

Lastly, when I do load up all of my MODS, is this the correct order to activate them?

Other (freshly-installed) mods: Unofficial Patch/VEM, CivWillard, InfoAddict, Smaller Landmarks
Ethnic Diversity (v 12)
Ethnic Diversity - R.E.D. Unofficial (v 12)
Ethnic Diversity - Optional Units (v 12)

Sorry for my confusion, and thanks in advance for your help!

Nutty
Apr 23, 2012, 04:20 PM
But what about #4 and #5? They both appear to refer to future versions of Optional Units and Ethnic Diversity, respectively. Are they updates of the main files to those versions?

I've attached a small optional hotfix to the first post. They just contain a few .modinfo updates with dependencies/references/blocks added. Just copy them over your existing files, and hopefully it will help ED play nice with its own sub-mods and other compatible mods without having to always delete the cache directory or the civ5artdefines files from the other mods. I won't bother uploading the whole pack again for this tiny update. Note that I finally got around to updating NiGHTS compatibility for the next update to follow.

Sorry for the confusion, Eunomiac, but I was preparing a post to explain those, and go into some other issues, but I never got a chance to finish it. I'll get to the rest of your questions and the other issues I want to address in a separate post, but hopefully the latest hotfix will make the process somewhat more idiot-proof (not that I'm casting aspersions). ;)

EDIT: Actually, Eunomiac, I don't need another post for you. You have the process exactly right. Sorry that it's a bit confusing, but it's tough since I'm trying to make ED be all things for all people.

EDIT #2: Though, to be clear, you didn't need to apply the 2 bugfixes, as they were to be applied to get from an earlier v12 to the latest one I have posted. Numbers 3-5 are the ones that have not (yet) been included in the full download. And I've just now removed the bugfixes, anyway.

Eunomiac
Apr 23, 2012, 05:14 PM
Great, and thanks for the quick reply (after I figured it out, I was able to appreciate the big picture in terms of you making it as customizable as possible). I started it up and almost everything appears to work, at least in the few quick initial turns I took to test it out in broad strokes very nice!

I did notice one problem, however: My "Dawn of Man" screen for the Babylonians showed their Bowman, but their unique building was replaced with a basic Infantry unit. I downloaded EDUniqueBonuses.zip and overwrote Steam\...\GameSetup\UniqueBonuses.lua, which I believe was the fix to this issue, so I'm not sure if I applied the fix incorrectly, if one of my other mods is complicating things, or if the fix isn't working after recent updates.

I'm going to give it another go from scratch (doesn't take long now that I know what I'm doing!), and I'll let you know if the problem repeats.

Nutty
Apr 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
I appreciate the appreciation!

I'd very much like to make the process easier/less confusing, and I'm always welcome to suggestions, even if it's just where I might tighten up the instructions.

I downloaded EDUniqueBonuses.zip and overwrote Steam\...\GameSetup\UniqueBonuses.lua, which I believe was the fix to this issue, so I'm not sure if I applied the fix incorrectly, if one of my other mods is complicating things, or if the fix isn't working after recent updates.

That's the fix. It works for me on my copy of 1.0.1.511, and it works with UOP/VEM. CivWillard and InfoAddict shouldn't be interacting there. So... I don't know why it's not working for you. You can make sure that the file really has been overwritten (look at the date modified). Either way, like I've said, it's purely a cosmetic issue.

Ozzy88
Apr 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
This mod sounds fantastic although I have one question.

I'm in the middle of a really important game right now and I would love to try this mod out straight away. Will this mod work on a saved game? Or will I have to start a new game entirely??

Thanks.

Nutty
Apr 30, 2012, 01:11 AM
Will this mod work on a saved game?

Short answer, no--and especially not for a really important game! (Aren't they all important? I mean, we're talking about the fate of civilization here!)

Good luck!

Ekmek
May 24, 2012, 03:42 PM
nutty,

can you make a quick mod that just adds one unit to the game? I'd like to see one use as a template.

Nutty
May 24, 2012, 04:49 PM
can you make a quick mod that just adds one unit to the game? I'd like to see one use as a template.

OK, done.

EDIT: See post #4 after Gedemon's excellent tutorial (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=461429).

Psionicle
May 25, 2012, 11:15 PM
I have an annoying problem with this.. Archers, warriors, etc. look like spearmen.. Might be a compatibility issue? Tried it without other mods tough.. So what is it I am doing wrong?

Nutty
May 26, 2012, 11:39 AM
I have an annoying problem with this.. Archers, warriors, etc. look like spearmen.. Might be a compatibility issue? Tried it without other mods tough.. So what is it I am doing wrong?

Even if you've disabled all other mods, there may be some cached resources that persist, so try deleting your cache folder. That should do the trick. Note that there is a link to some good general troubleshooting instructions for CiV mods near the end of the first post.

Megalamon121
May 30, 2012, 08:12 PM
Playing as Germany, it lists both Musketmen Russia & German. When I made my first, it was the Russian, plus it CTDed. Is this a known bug? Or is there anything I can do about it?

Nutty
May 31, 2012, 12:54 AM
Playing as Germany, it lists both Musketmen Russia & German. When I made my first, it was the Russian, plus it CTDed. Is this a known bug? Or is there anything I can do about it?

Crap. Sorry about that. I fixed that a long time ago, and hadn't realized it was still in Optional Units v12.01.

It's an easy fix:

in file:
\Ethnic Diversity - Optional Units (v 12)\Optional\Units\newunits_musketman.sql
on line 44, change:
'CIVILIZATION_GERMANY'
to
'CIVILIZATION_RUSSIA'

Nutty
May 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
OK, I'm going to be releasing the new beta soon, but...

I'm still trying to decide how to deal with units as applied to the new civs from Gods + Kings. I have created a poll in case you (yes, you!) want a say.

For example: I'm currently using Swedish units for Denmark (since Firaxis had conflated the Scandinavians already). Now that Sweden is going in to G+K, I need to decide what to do with Denmark. Obviously, it's not likely we'll be getting any WWII units for them. Since they were occupied by Germany early in the war, and there were many Nazi collaborationists, should they share German WWII-era units? Or continue to share units with their Swedish neighbors (who were busy trying to remain neutral, but helped train Danish resistance)? Or... should they just go back to using vanilla units?

As for the other G+K civs, I'm thinking the Huns should get the modern Hungary units for geographical reasons even if the ethnic ones are suspect. I've already mentioned the issues with the Celts and Byzantium, but Sweden and the Netherlands are pretty much covered, at least.

Similar issues abound. I could potentially do lots of sharing based on who was invading/colonizing whom.

Anyway, let me know what ya'll think. Feel free to leave blanks: the default is to use vanilla units.

Please post comments on the poll website so I don't clutter up this thread too much with this discussion.
Thanks!

POLL #2: Click the picture below to take the poll.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/Nutzzzo/CiV/poll2.png (http://poll.pollcode.com/kru8)

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to put Austria in the poll. If Austria sharing with Germany doesn't fit with your "Generally" vote, leave a comment on the poll website.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jun 04, 2012, 10:06 AM
i saw ur new poll and i think that the byzantium-greece-rome is a very difficult point .bassicaly greece and byzantium it is the same thing and is kinda stupid that developers put both greece and byz in game, but in association with the ethnic units i think greece and byz shoyld have the same because when byzantium appeared roman empire was destroyed and the roman area in medieval had nothing to do with the byzantium,when the roman empire excisted there were only greece,(not byzantium),which was semi-autonomus, the only same things that byz had with rome are those that rome copied from greece, but byz = later greece, ok i sound weird but it is hard to explain

albie_123
Jun 04, 2012, 10:12 AM
i saw ur new poll and i think that the byzantium-greece-rome is a very difficult point .bassicaly greece and byzantium it is the same thing and is kinda stupid that developers put both greece and byz in game, but in association with the ethnic units i think greece and byz shoyld have the same because when byzantium appeared roman empire was destroyed and the roman area in medieval had nothing to do with the byzantium,when the roman empire excisted there were only greece,(not byzantium),which was semi-autonomus, the only same things that byz had with rome are those that rome copied from greece, but byz = later greece, ok i sound weird but it is hard to explain
But that's wrong. When the Eastern and Roman Empires split, the Roman Empire may have not been in its best state, but it was certainly not destroyed.

Nutty
Jun 04, 2012, 03:45 PM
Like I mentioned, I prefer that this conversation goes on the poll website.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jun 06, 2012, 01:50 AM
But that's wrong. When the Eastern and Roman Empires split, the Roman Empire may have not been in its best state, but it was certainly not destroyed.

for how many years of the total byzantium life the west roman empire existred????less than 200, what byzantine empire had in common with the roman after a few years?nothing except what the romans copied from them(Greece.bassicaly byzantine empire wasnt what left of the roman empire but a part of it which left the empire and choose to be a Greeek empire, byzantium had greek languarge, poppulation, emperor, religion ,soldiers(but sometimes it had mercenaries and not natives), lands, style of life, valours. everything was Greeks, to sum up byzantium is the part of roman empire which was Greek and Byzantium is just a medieval name for Greece, it never was a seperate country, note that even today the turks dont call us greeks but byzantines

EDIT: sorry i will use the poll site

Dadaloglu
Jun 06, 2012, 05:55 AM
Umm no, we (Turks) call you Greeks. But we are also aware that Byzantium influenced by Greek culture, so we are seeing Byzantium as an extension of your culture. But in conclusion they are Romans if we look at their governmental structure.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jun 06, 2012, 11:19 AM
Umm no, we (Turks) call you Greeks. But we are also aware that Byzantium influenced by Greek culture, so we are seeing Byzantium as an extension of your culture. But in conclusion they are Romans if we look at their governmental structure.

i said that because i have seen some turk films and members of my family have visited the lands turkey stole from as and ur people used to say as romans(romii, ρωμιοί), and u make a terrible mistake byzantine empire was greece not affected by greece, as i mentioned before every single thing it had was greek, people land, languarge, religion, valours, architecture ,emperor, goverment...
u said that byzantines were romans because they had the same goverment structure???u cant show nationality of a country with this and if u could the goverment structure that byzantium used was very common and was used by greeks before even rome was built, especialy after alexander the great monarchy was spread throught greece and the democratic cities(athens) were just puppets or lost democracy at all.
okay i know u turks try to hit us greeks at every oppurtunity because u cant catch up with as at nothing, but i wont start talking about history and politics now because the porpose is to help the mod become better and enjoyable not to analize any sitiuation or what truly turks learn at their schools, one last thing for example, turks learn in school that homer(ancient greek who wrote about the trojan war ,the writing of these 2 books were 2,000 years before turks appear in anatolia) was a turk!!!!!!

Nutty
Jun 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
Like I mentioned, I prefer that this conversation goes on the poll website.

:sad: Sigh. I knew this would happen. Let's try to focus the discussion on the matter at hand, and stay away from who was stealing whose lives, land, and treasure, because history is a nasty business. Somehow, when the smoke clears, the survivors eventually find a way to get by and cooperate with one another (though obviously we can hold grudges for a few millenia).

I don't think anyone questions that the Byzantines were Roman politically and Greek culturally. The question is whether you think it matters in this very narrow context, e.g., whose tanks and ships they might be using by WWII.

Discuss on the poll website (http://poll.pollcode.com/kru8). :gripe:

Thank you.

Dadaloglu
Jun 09, 2012, 03:54 PM
i said that because i have seen some turk films and members of my family have visited the lands turkey stole from as and ur people used to say as romans(romii, ρωμιοί), and u make a terrible mistake byzantine empire was greece not affected by greece, as i mentioned before every single thing it had was greek, people land, languarge, religion, valours, architecture ,emperor, goverment...
u said that byzantines were romans because they had the same goverment structure???u cant show nationality of a country with this and if u could the goverment structure that byzantium used was very common and was used by greeks before even rome was built, especialy after alexander the great monarchy was spread throught greece and the democratic cities(athens) were just puppets or lost democracy at all.
okay i know u turks try to hit us greeks at every oppurtunity because u cant catch up with as at nothing, but i wont start talking about history and politics now because the porpose is to help the mod become better and enjoyable not to analize any sitiuation or what truly turks learn at their schools, one last thing for example, turks learn in school that homer(ancient greek who wrote about the trojan war ,the writing of these 2 books were 2,000 years before turks appear in anatolia) was a turk!!!!!!

Hey i think you should calm down, my purpose of replying this thread was same as yours, i just mentioned my opinion. I didn't intend to say something harsh about your nationalty,country or your culture. I think i was misunderstood.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jun 10, 2012, 05:16 AM
Hey i think you should calm down, my purpose of replying this thread was same as yours, i just mentioned my opinion. I didn't intend to say something harsh about your nationalty,country or your culture. I think i was misunderstood.

sorry i was pissed of that day after having a conversesion with a turk about the genocide of the pontians(greeks of pontus), because in greece this is a day of remembering what kemal did to humanity and the genocides he did against orthodoxs and the same day in trukey they celebrate kemal and greco-turk friendship, so only for the reason they putthe a celebration and a friendship pact at the day when they slaugtered and killed thousands i could not be in a good mood after this conversation

Megalamon121
Jun 11, 2012, 02:22 PM
Hey thanks Nutty, haven't tried it yet, but sounds like should work. Also, when you explained how to use the Optional units with the scaling you said to use the alternate XML provided? Which ones are the alternates? Do you mean to move the XML from Optional Units into Ethnic Diversity, or visa versa? Also, should all the sub-mods be kept in their respective folders or merged into Ethnic Diversity?

Also, I think on the poll issue: All nations should have unique unit skins where possible, including WW2 (during which many countries besides the well-known ones built their own fleets, up to, and including Battleships: Spain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espa%C3%B1a_class_battleship); Turkey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Goeben) (Ottoman/Persia/Arabia); Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverige_class_coastal_defence_ship); Finland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_coastal_defence_ship_V%C3%A4in%C3%A4m%C3%B 6inen) (Could borrow for Sweden/Denmark). Otherwise they should borrow from their colonial overlord/closest ally.

Nutty
Jun 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
Also, when you explained how to use the Optional units with the scaling you said to use the alternate XML provided? Which ones are the alternates? Do you mean to move the XML from Optional Units into Ethnic Diversity, or visa versa?
The Optional Units pack includes 2 alternate sets of XML files for R.E.D. and S.U.G. The readme included with that pack explains where to move them, but it's all within the Optional Units folder.

Also, should all the sub-mods be kept in their respective folders or merged into Ethnic Diversity?
They're designed to be kept in their respective folders.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jun 13, 2012, 02:10 AM
so the optional units replace other unique units with alternative skin or just extra unique units?

Nutty
Jun 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
Unique units are never affected. For the Optional Units pack, the default unit (for non-ethnic units) is sometimes changed.

Megalamon121
Jun 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
Some other ideas for your project '88 Flak' German Artillery (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_mm_gun) used for everything from Art, AA, AT, as well as a tank gun; 'Long Tom' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/155_mm_Long_Tom) US Artillery, mainly just Art.

Megalamon121
Jun 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
Also, when I load the mod, am I supposed to leave the XML folders in the ED folder (the .12 scale) as is, or replace them with the RED XMLs (.09)? I've used the updates (the 12.02 Optional Units, 12.04 modinfos, and EDUniqueBonuses, all zipped into the Mods folder; Assets from the unique bonuses is moved into the ED folder). I copied the folders inside 'the 12.03 stable' folder into Mods (meaning the whole 12.03 folder and all contents are still there, as well; that right?).

It had worked previously when I left out the Optional Units & SUG, but merged ED with RED. After reloading the mod, and following your instructions exactly, it breaks upon finally reaching the map. I can see everything clearly, but it still shows the old scale, plus the mouse is useless, nothing responds to clicking. The interface and everything else looks fine.

Nutty
Jun 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
Also, when I load the mod, am I supposed to leave the XML folders in the ED folder (the .12 scale) as is, or replace them with the RED XMLs (.09)?

Like I've said, it wasn't meant to be merged. Activate the base mod, and then the addons. Manual copying is necessary only for when you want Optional Units with R.E.D. or S.U.G. scaling. [Also, thanks to your bug report, we know that the newunits_musketman.sql must be revised for Optional Units.]

Assets from the unique bonuses is moved into the ED folder).

EDUniqueBonuses.zip (optionally) must be unzipped wherever CiV is installed (e.g., in your Program Files folder, perhaps under Steam\steamapps).

I copied the folders inside 'the 12.03 stable' folder into Mods (meaning the whole 12.03 folder and all contents are still there, as well; that right?).

The 3 folders within the 12.03 zip should be located in your MODS folder. You don't need a duplicate copy under a subdirectory of MODS if that's what you're asking.

The new .modinfo's should be unzipped in the MODS folder, and replace the existing .modinfo's.

The other (optional) step is to copy civ5artdefines_viseffects.xml from the "copy to common" folder, either under the base mod, or the R.E.D. submod (if that's what you're using) to the Common subdirectory located in your CiV program folder.

EDIT: Note that I updated the modinfo fix for Optional Units to include all fixes from v12, including the one for the German musketmen.

Megalamon121
Jun 14, 2012, 04:34 PM
After running several experiments and attempting to recreate the formerly-working mod, I can confirm the problem has appeared since the recent Civ 5 update.

The mod had been working earlier (despite my fooling with it; I eventually dropped the Optionals, and it was just fine), therefore, something else is most likely involved.

The main problem I'm seeing is that the scale is coming through, despite enabling RED after ED. Also, with the exception of the "Promotion/Upgrade Tree," the interface buttons no longer respond. Example: "Next Turn" is lit at the start, and if clicked on, depresses, but no result. Units are shown (at wrong scale) but cannot be clicked on. Is it possible this is actually a Civ 5 bug itself? I'm also using VEM, which may have an effect.

Thank you for the response, anyways, nutty.

Nutty
Jun 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
Oh! It's not compatible with the beta patch.

Megalamon121
Jun 14, 2012, 11:19 PM
Gotchya. I'll have to reinstall the stupid Civ 5 then. Q: How in the heck do you install a previous(Steam)-version of it?

Megalamon121
Jun 18, 2012, 10:15 AM
Are we gonna be able to get an ED update for the new patch? The incompatibility's a game-breaker; It may be difficult to deal with. What do you think, nutty?

llamapower
Jun 19, 2012, 08:07 AM
Are we gonna be able to get an ED update for the new patch? The incompatibility's a game-breaker; It may be difficult to deal with. What do you think, nutty?

And any plans to put it up on steam? (sorry if this has already been asked)

Megalamon121
Jun 20, 2012, 12:45 AM
I doubt he would, at least at this point. The current version of Eth Div (or ED) is incompatible with the latest Civ V patch. Until it's made compatible, ED is worthless for anyone running on the patch. But, he might be working on the problem now. I hope he is, myself. After a week (and Nutty's help), I finally figured out how to use the optional units pack, then the patch came out :wallbash:.

llamapower
Jun 20, 2012, 07:14 AM
I doubt he would, at least at this point. The current version of Eth Div (or ED) is incompatible with the latest Civ V patch. Until it's made compatible, ED is worthless for anyone running on the patch. But, he might be working on the problem now. I hope he is, myself. After a week (and Nutty's help), I finally figured out how to use the optional units pack, then the patch came out :wallbash:.

yea I'm in the same boat in that I just started using mods and now they're all broken *insert emoticon yelling up at the heavens*

Nutty
Jun 24, 2012, 01:54 AM
Sorry, I've been swamped lately, but I should have much more time going forward.

*insert emoticon yelling up at the heavens*

Yeah. Something like ((( :aargh: ))) serves to convey my feeling as well.

Really, though, it's good; mods can now add units and still be compatible with other mods that add units--amazing, eh? :rolleyes:

In case you hadnt noticed, Gedemon's put up a new version of R.E.D. on Steam [v 12] that does work with the new patch (though it doesn't yet touch the new G+K content) [EDIT: v 13 supports G&K units].

I am working on it, but I want to coordinate efforts so I don't duplicate Gedemon's.

Megalamon121
Jun 26, 2012, 10:46 AM
May be asking too much, but why doesn't the mod work anymore? I mean, what did the patch change that broke it?

Nutty
Jun 26, 2012, 04:33 PM
May be asking too much, but why doesn't the mod work anymore? I mean, what did the patch change that broke it?

The method that unit art is defined has changed. Civ5ArtDefines_Units.xml and Civ5ArtDefines_UnitMembers.xml are now loaded before the mod system, so changes can now (but must now) be changed in the database.

Megalamon121
Jun 26, 2012, 11:57 PM
The Optional units pack, is that yours or gedemon's? Have been playing CiV with CiVUP (VEM) & R.E.D (was trying to get ED to work, finally did the day before the patch. Would like to get that set of mods going again.

Nutty
Jun 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Optional Units is mine. The whole point of making it a separate pack was to emphasize that it was moving away from Gedemon's vision for R.E.D.

Megalamon121
Jun 28, 2012, 10:24 PM
Is RED (original) supposed to work with CivUP/VEM too? I know ED did.

durfal
Jun 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
Hi, first of all thank you for this great mod.
A tip for if you gonna implement it for G & K, I know it always supported the 2 Dutch civ mods that were out there. Since the dutch are now in the game proper, can u use the mods UU's as ethnic units for the originals in game, Frigate and Pikeman?
But rename Watergeus into Geus, because the game has a unique unit "Sea Beggar" (english for Watergeus) as a ship for the Netherlands. We can keep the one from the mod as an on land (Geus) replacement for the Pikeman. They fought on land and on the water anyway. :lol:

Megalamon121
Jul 01, 2012, 01:54 PM
Besides the scale & the optional units, what is the main difference between RED and ED? Did you guys have different features in mind, or simply just as Nutty explained: to take over from RED since it seemed semi(for-the-time-being)-abandoned?

durfal
Jul 01, 2012, 05:20 PM
To be honest I don't need the units to be rescaled. I think they are fine the way they are. I only like the ethnic diversity part of it all. As far as I've seen this one has more ethnic units collected than RED.
I wish I wouldn't need either and could just like with CIV 3 and 4 download loads of units and put them in game the way I like. But since they made it practicly impossible to mod things on a smaller scale, like just replacing a unit for a singular civ. That won't break everytime there is an update. :cry:
I tried to read a lot in the beginning like with every new civ game on how to do things yourself (which for me was always the most fun) but basicly gave up after seeing so many people failing to get stuff to work.
So i leave it to the professionals like Nutty, they seem to understand all this LUA stuff.
A pitty that there aren't a lot of Unit modders out there for Civ 5 (probably because it is so though to do I guess). :sad: There is a guy who is buzy to convert a lot of the civ 4 units for civ 5, but he won't release untill he is finished and he was at last count at 109 of the 250 he wanted to do, and he's been buzy for a year now I think. So I gave up on that one too. :(
So at the end Im happy that someone is willing to make this kind of a collection mod. :goodjob:

Megalamon121
Jul 01, 2012, 07:00 PM
Personally, the scale's my 2nd favorite part, it really helps the game feel realistic (which it could use more of). But, I still love the units. Trying to play without them is a cake sans frosting, same decent substance, but kind of bland. A mod I loved for CIV, that would be great to transfer would be Varietas Delectact. It had ethnic (for EVERY civ), plus added Industrial & Modern era units that were sorely lacking (such as a full "Battleship" line: Ship-of-Line - Ironclad Battleship - PreDreadnought - Dreadnought - Battleship - Missile Cruiser). another mod even added a "Fusion Battleship" using the skin from the 'Final Frontier' mod.

Nutty
Jul 03, 2012, 12:50 PM
Besides the scale & the optional units, what is the main difference between RED and ED?
I was specifically trying to keep to the spirit of Gedemon's modpack.

To be honest I don't need the units to be rescaled. I think they are fine the way they are. I only like the ethnic diversity part of it all. As far as I've seen this one has more ethnic units collected than RED.
In terms of numbers, Gedemon's closed the gap quite a bit, and he has added Patum333's swordsmen conversions as well.

There is a guy who is buzy to convert a lot of the civ 4 units for civ 5, but he won't release untill he is finished...
FYI, Danrell began releasing his new unit packs yesterday! I'm sure Gedemon will collect those into R.E.D. when he gets back. As soon as that's released, I'll see what's left to include as far as an optional units pack. I've also got a working beta for Single Unit Graphics that plays well with or without R.E.D.

I wish I wouldn't need either and could just like with CIV 3 and 4 download loads of units and put them in game the way I like.
You might find it quite a bit easier now. I'm sure one of us will put up a tutorial at some point, but for me (and believe me, I'm no expert), I've found taking apart existing mods is a great way to learn.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jul 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
ur mod or gedemons have more ethnic units?
i know that it is annoying all the people asking u about this in ur forum but i posted it also in red modpack but i took no worthy answer
and when we can have a ver compatible with g&k ?

Nutty
Jul 03, 2012, 04:12 PM
ur mod or gedemons have more ethnic units?
Gedemon's answer was fine: It doesn't really matter who has more units, since E.D. doesn't work anymore. We're both working with the same base of units; it just depends on how picky you want to get. I'm less picky, so of course I had more units.

and when we can have a ver compatible with g&k ?
I'm not going to compete directly with Gedemon (that was never the point), but I'll release an Optional Units pack as an add-on for R.E.D. for those that want destroyers, carriers, paratroopers, etc. and anything else I feel like throwing in that Gedemon has decided doesn't quite fit. I'm not going to bother until Gedemon releases the next version, but he appears to be motivated to do so soon, what with danrell's recent gift to unit lovers.

EDIT:
A mod I loved for CIV, that would be great to transfer would be Varietas Delectact.

FYI, I'm personally not intending to add new unit classes (even with Marathon games, it feels like tech levels go by fairly quickly, especially after the G&K additions), and balance issues can be quite a pain (not that vanilla doesn't have it's balance issues; that's just a different mod).

PAVLOS_GR300
Jul 04, 2012, 09:28 AM
Gedemon's answer was fine: It doesn't really matter who has more units, since E.D. doesn't work anymore. We're both working with the same base of units; it just depends on how picky you want to get. I'm less picky, so of course I had more units.

I'm not going to compete directly with Gedemon (that was never the point), but I'll release an Optional Units pack as an add-on for R.E.D. for those that want destroyers, carriers, paratroopers, etc. and anything else I feel like throwing in that Gedemon has decided doesn't quite fit. I'm not going to bother until Gedemon releases the next version, but he appears to be motivated to do so soon, what with danrell's recent gift to unit lovers.

so u want to turn ur mod to an add on for gedemon's mod?

Megalamon121
Jul 04, 2012, 10:20 AM

Acutually, that what be brilliant. RED itself is a great mod. I'd love diversity all the way to each civ, but whatever I can get is fine. If you're not working on the main part of the mod for yourself, an optional pack would be perfect. I liked some your other add-ons too, like the random city-name & landmark scaler, those are truely some of the best small-scale mods I've ever seen.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jul 04, 2012, 02:01 PM
Acutually, that what be brilliant. RED itself is a great mod. I'd love diversity all the way to each civ, but whatever I can get is fine. If you're not working on the main part of the mod for yourself, an optional pack would be perfect. I liked some your other add-ons too, like the random city-name & landmark scaler, those are truely some of the best small-scale mods I've ever seen.

what i bassicaly want is as much etnic diversity is possible to each unit and red unit scale ,if this is possible i dont care if it is named ED or RED modpack

Nutty
Jul 05, 2012, 03:58 AM
That's my plan. To my point of view, that's not far off from what I had been doing.

I liked some your other add-ons too
Hey, thanks!

I'd love diversity all the way to each civ
as much etnic diversity is possible
Right. I think anyone reading this agrees... with the caveat that the models should (to one degree or another) be consistent in era and art-style and be historically accurate (or alternate-history feasible).

Unfortunately, the Civ4 conversions are a pain, but as mentioned above, a couple of people have resumed working on them lately.

Gedemon
Jul 05, 2012, 01:02 PM
just FYI I've started work on next version of R.E.D., and will also add danrell's WWII destroyers and aircraft carriers in it.

Megalamon121
Jul 05, 2012, 02:07 PM
If you're looking for ideas: Check out the sample pics from Varietas Delectat (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=237192).

My personal favorite is the Germany pic, it shows a clear uniqueness from warrior to Jet Fighter, with nearly every unit in-between. They even added a few, such as Armored Car or IFV (could possibly be used for VEM's Vanguard units line); Ironclad Battleship/Pre-Dreadnought/Dread (for interesting mid-line between Ironclad-Battleship); Early Destroyer (could fill Frigate-Destroyer gap).

There's also the v8.0 pic showing concepts for how Asian, African and Middle-Eastern naval units could look

Right. I think anyone reading this agrees... with the caveat that the models should (to one degree or another) be consistent in era and art-style and be historically accurate (or alternate-history feasible).

Unfortunately, the Civ4 conversions are a pain, but as mentioned above, a couple of people have resumed working on them lately.

I realize conversions may be too much to ask. I'm not a modder, so all I can do is suggest. But, Avian (plus several more modders) did a bang-up job of filling in the appearance gaps, and I thought, at very least, you guys could borrow some of that mod's ideas. Especially since, (as Nutty pointed out) India didn't build a WW2 Battleship, or the Aztecs never had Musketmen, or American warriors? Etc. So, being 100% accurate isn't completely possible. Therefore, imagination will be required for a large portion of this mod's substance.

-Also, At what point can you add custom avatars to your civfan profile? Is there a number of posts required?-

Gedemon
Jul 05, 2012, 02:27 PM
You've resumed the goal of Ethnic Diversity mods here, "filling the gaps" is planned from day one, but can't be done without corresponding units ;)

For fun, I've made a XLS that can be found in any version of R.E.D to track the progress until final version of the mod, the one with almost only ethnic units... counter is at 7,97% ATM (has go down from above 8% with addition of 8 new civs...)

luckily for us, danrell is releasing a new batch of units, which means we can start filling the ancient era.

edit: wasn't remembering correctly...

R.E.D. for civ4 was based on (and developed along) Avain's Keymod (which become later Varietas Delectat), but I stopped updating it with patch 3.14 for BTS.

It used new unit classes and bonus units, and I may create an add-on for civ5's R.E.D. to add light tanks, heavy tanks, attack aircraft, different generations of jetfighters, cruisers, dreadnought, etc... but priority is on base R.E.D. with unchanged gameplay.

Megalamon121
Jul 05, 2012, 06:29 PM
luckily for us, danrell is releasing a new batch of units, which means we can start filling the ancient era.

Ooh, sounds lovely. Would you mind telling me where his mod's at? Or at least when he's planning to release?

It used new unit classes and bonus units, and I may create an add-on for civ5's R.E.D. to add light tanks, heavy tanks, attack aircraft, different generations of jetfighters, cruisers, dreadnought, etc... but priority is on base R.E.D. with unchanged gameplay.

I understand. While the bonus units oozed awesomeness, I can live without them. Having the base units ethnic would be great in itself.

Gedemon
Jul 05, 2012, 07:00 PM
You can preview what will be added in the civ5 unit section (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=398) of the forum.

PAVLOS_GR300
Jul 06, 2012, 05:54 AM
You can preview what will be added in the civ5 unit section (http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=398) of the forum.

excelent stuff ,when aproximetly they will be added to u mod?

Gedemon
Jul 06, 2012, 05:57 AM
a few days, less than a week I hope.

durfal
Jul 06, 2012, 08:53 AM
Lots of activity on the thread in the last few days which is always good. :)
First I want to say in a late response to Nutty that I tried the RED pack itself off course but the downscaling makes the units to small for my taste. In the way I play I can hardly see the diversity anymore that way, probably because I zoom out a bit already.
Furthermore I find it hard to seperate the downscaling files from the ethnic diversity ones when I looked at them to try and turn the downscaling off myself. So unless someone can give me a tutorial how to do exactly that I keep my hope's up for this mod (or addon if you like).
And yeah I also played CIV 4 with Varietas Delectat, Thomas' War and a few other mods that all added a bit other extra's to the ethnic diversity they had in common.

Nutty
Jul 18, 2012, 06:10 AM
For those who want to revert R.E.D. Modpack to vanilla scale, I've posted a beta of an unofficial add-on to R.E.D. that should do the trick (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757). Warning: I haven't tested it extensively.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Nutty
Jul 18, 2012, 10:51 AM
Made some fixes to the R.E.D. - Just Ethnic Diversity beta for R.E.D. Modpack (v 15). Please re-download (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757).

Gorhaax
Jul 18, 2012, 07:27 PM
Great work Nutty! Quick Question: Does v15 work with G&K or just vanilla?

(i apologize if this has already been mentioned somewhere)

Nutty
Jul 19, 2012, 01:30 AM
Does v15 work with G&K or just vanilla?

Both. :) Patch .674 or later.

StMikael
Jul 19, 2012, 09:57 AM
Oh, it's compatible with G&K now? Great!

I was really looking forward to having Ethnic Diversity, but the offical R.E.D. modpack includes mandatory scaling and formations, and I just want vanilla scaling.

Gorhaax
Jul 19, 2012, 08:57 PM
How can I use the Single Graphics with the latest update?

Nutty
Jul 19, 2012, 11:55 PM
How can I use the Single Graphics with the latest update?

I'm still tweaking it. Would you like to alpha test?

Gorhaax
Jul 20, 2012, 09:04 AM
Definitely

Gorhaax
Jul 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
I'm still tweaking it. Would you like to alpha test?

How does one go about alpha testing?

CommanderZeta
Jul 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
Hello, and I must say, you're mod is one of my favorites, and certainly one of the first I have ever used for Civilization V. I have to thank you for your effort (as well as everyone else who contributed to this mod) in making it.

I am new to this site, and though I don't know crap about modding, I wouldn't mind helping to test the Single Unit Graphics, either. I prefer to use it since it helps the game run smoother, especially on my computer.

Verdolaga
Jul 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hello there, congrats on the mod. A really noob question here, after Ive downloaded from here, http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=326585&d=1342630167

how shall I do to install the mod? Thanks.

Nutty
Jul 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Sorry, I've had a very busy weekend. I'll let you know about testing by PM.

Hello there, congrats on the mod. A really noob question here, after Ive downloaded from here, http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=326585&d=1342630167

how shall I do to install the mod? Thanks.

Copy that file to your mods directory--if you're running Vista or Windows 7, it should be something like "C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Mods"--and unzip it there. Next time you run Civilization, you should be able to activate it from your mod list. Gedemon's mod will need to be activated first.

Nutty
Jul 25, 2012, 03:12 AM
CommanderZeta,
I can't send you a private message since you're so new here. Please send me a private message with your e-mail address.

llamapower
Jul 31, 2012, 12:18 PM
For your mod mod of RED 15, do we replace the folders in RED or do we activate in game when we activate RED?

thanks for making this! RED's tiny figures hurt my eyes trying to find thins on my screen

edit: oops! answered above! I'm an idiot...

janboruta
Aug 01, 2012, 01:45 AM
Hey Nutty! I was playing yesterday with your alpha v.15 E.D. with vanilla scaling you uploaded a couple posts before and I have a tiny question: will you adjust the formations and number of figures in each unit to vanilla scale as well? This is for example an issue with ethnic spearmen units which in Gedemon's R.E.D have a formation 4 men wide and 6 men deep, they almost spill out of their hex space with vanilla scale. And when a vanilla spearmen arrives with half as much men in formation, it does look weird. :)

Nutty
Aug 02, 2012, 07:55 PM
will you adjust the formations and number of figures in each unit to vanilla scale as well?

Sorry about that! In general, I do; and I'm not sure how that problem was overlooked, especially with a unit so early in the tech tree.

I finally had a chance to take a look at the problem, and it's an easy enough fix. I'll upload it later tonight.

Nutty
Aug 03, 2012, 08:55 AM
This should hopefully do it until Gedemon releases a new version:
Just Ethnic Diversity for R.E.D. Modpack (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757).

hiramarchibald
Aug 07, 2012, 07:21 AM
Sorry to be incompetent, but what is the difference between R.E.D. - Just Ethnic Diversity v 15 alpha (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757) and R.E.D. Modpack v 15 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15434)? Can the latter be placed and recognized in the MODS folder?

Running G&K.

Nutty
Aug 07, 2012, 02:08 PM
Sorry to be incompetent, but what is the difference between R.E.D. - Just Ethnic Diversity v 15 alpha (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757) and R.E.D. Modpack v 15 (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15434)? Can the latter be placed and recognized in the MODS folder?

Running G&K.

JED is an add-on to RED (ie, JED requires RED to be active) that reverses the changes to unit scale back to vanilla. Some people find that although the relative scale is more realistic, they miss the details of the new ethnic units.

You can download both from the database here, and unzip in your mods directory. RED, but not JED, is also available in the in-game mod browser.

Gorhaax
Aug 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
This should hopefully do it until Gedemon releases a new version:
Just Ethnic Diversity for R.E.D. Modpack (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757).

Does this fix the SUG spearmen issue, or just regular?

Nutty
Aug 08, 2012, 10:24 AM
Does this fix the SUG spearmen issue, or just regular?

JED and SUG are incompatible, but it was the same issue.

Gratitude
Aug 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
Cheers Nutty for the Just Ethnic Diversity mod, it's exactly what I was looking for to compliment RED. The larger unit sizes help me better appreciate the great unit artwork.

I do have one small issue though, I've been playing with the most recent version and I've noticed that the Mech Infantry unit is just one vehicle instead of 3. When I disable your mod and just use RED, the mech unit returns to being 3 vehicles. Has anyone else experienced this?

Nutty
Aug 28, 2012, 01:57 AM
The larger unit sizes help me better appreciate the great unit artwork.

My thoughts exactly.

...I've noticed that the Mech Infantry unit is just one vehicle instead of 3.

Thanks for catching that. Stupid error on my part (CiV internally uses the word MECH to describe the Giant Death Robot, and in making my reference to that unit I used a wildcard, which of course covers MECHANIZEDINFANTRY as well).

I'm uploading a new version now. EDIT: Done. See the link in my sig.

[to_xp]Gekko
Aug 28, 2012, 08:21 AM
thanx for the update and of course thanx for the modmod :)

Gratitude
Aug 28, 2012, 02:53 PM
Excellent, thanks!

Socratatus
Sep 07, 2012, 10:19 AM
Cheers Nutty for the Just Ethnic Diversity mod, it's exactly what I was looking for to compliment RED. The larger unit sizes help me better appreciate the great unit artwork.

You may already know this, but there`s a preference line in the Civ\Documents that allows you to zoom closer if you want to see smaller units. Works really great.

Michkov
Sep 07, 2012, 02:10 PM
I upgraded my horseman to a knight but the model of the knight is that of the spearman. The unit functions like a knight with the correct symbol only the model is wrong.

I'm using vanilla Civ5 with this modpack. I'm Germany.

Nutty
Sep 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
You may already know this, but there`s a preference line in the Civ\Documents that allows you to zoom closer if you want to see smaller units. Works really great.

That's true. I have changed this setting even though I typically use Single Unit Graphics:
- Edit your config file (..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini).
- Find "Minimum Zoom Level" (defaults to 11.000000) and change it to, e.g., 7.000000 (or less).
But note that performance can suffer somewhat (and some people don't want to HAVE to zoom way in, or always rely on the unit icon to tell units apart).

I upgraded my horseman to a knight but the model of the knight is that of the spearman.

That's what happens when the game is having trouble with the model, e.g., it can't find the .fxsxml. It may be that you just have to clear your cache. I'll take a look, but note that Gedemon should be releasing the new version of R.E.D. Modpack very soon. :clap:

EDIT: The German knights are working fine for me. What other mods do you have enabled?

Socratatus
Sep 08, 2012, 07:30 AM
Thanks for all your mods on fanatics anyway. good stuff.

[to_xp]Gekko
Sep 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
you know we're all waiting for JED v16 right? ;)

4sterisk
Sep 17, 2012, 10:40 AM
G&K compatible EDSUG for me please. :P

Michkov
Sep 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
That's what happens when the game is having trouble with the model, e.g., it can't find the .fxsxml. It may be that you just have to clear your cache. I'll take a look, but note that Gedemon should be releasing the new version of R.E.D. Modpack very soon. :clap:

EDIT: The German knights are working fine for me. What other mods do you have enabled?

Where can I clear my cache?

I run:

Consaeptics UI tweaks
Coustom notifications
RED v10

I noticed other units upgrading to spears aswell

Gedemon
Sep 17, 2012, 02:17 PM

I run:

RED v10

I noticed other units upgrading to spears aswell

v.10 ?

not compatible with G&K and patched Civ5.

Nutty
Sep 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
Gekko;11837348']you know we're all waiting for JED v16 right? ;)
G&K compatible EDSUG for me please. :P
I'm working on it! :) But I'm also going to have a busy week. :(

EDIT: Watch the SUG thread. Betas have been posted there.

Delete everything in the C:\Users\%username%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\cache folder. You'll have to reactivate all of your mods.

And... what Gedemon said.

Nutty
Oct 05, 2012, 08:00 PM
FWIW, I posted a new beta of J.E.D. for R.E.D. v18 (see first post). Note that I only did minimal testing, but I fixed a few glaring issues with that no one mentioned from the beta for v17 (that therefore never got a proper release).

If you use this and you run across any weirdness, let me know so I can fix it. If I don't hear anything for a while, I'll just put it up on Steam since Gedemon has been doing regular updates and it looks like we've got more units coming down the pike.

[to_xp]Gekko
Oct 06, 2012, 06:47 AM
thank you very much :)

ptrchr99
Oct 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Samurai hasn't been scaled properly in v18.
anyway love your mod. keep it up.
http://imageshack.us/a/img217/9830/civilizationvdx11201210.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/civilizationvdx11201210.png/)

Nutty
Oct 07, 2012, 06:55 PM
Samurai hasn't been scaled properly in v18.
Thanks. The Greek Hoplite had the same problem (those 2 UU's are special cases for R.E.D. since Gedemon has added additional unit models to them).

Fixed. A new beta has been uploaded.

Nutty
Oct 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
J.E.D. for R.E.D. v 19 has been released. Uploaded here and on Steam.

[to_xp]Gekko
Oct 12, 2012, 12:18 PM
tyvm!

Gedemon
Oct 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
and added in R.E.D. collection (http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=98264191) on steam ;)

Jonarus_Drakus
Oct 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
Okay... So Civ5 is driving me batty... :crazyeye:

I can't even get mods to download at all any more... I was hoping the the hotfix or Nutty's 'diversity only' would finally resolve the on-going issues I've been having... WRONG!

I cleared out all the old mod-data from the game folders, then went on steam and un-subbed then re-subbed to all the items I wanted (Nuttys, the hotfix, and RED itself). When I boot up the game an go into the mods section however... Well, RED will go through the whole DL/install process alright... But then, nothing... It doesn't appear in the list of available mods... Re-booting the game or even the whole computer doesn't seem to help... If I go in-and-out of the "get mods" section, it will download the 'extra' items, but read itself still won't function. I went into my MODS folder for Civ5 in -/My documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/- ... There was a single file there called: "r.e.d. modpack (v 19).civ5mod" but that was all, no folder for the actual mod content or anything else, just the one file...

Is there perhaps a manual method for acquiring the mod, so I can manually verify the file structure myself as I go?

Please help me make the game playable again! :cry:

~JD

Nutty
Oct 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
Why don't you just download them from here, and unzip them to your MODS folder manually?

EDIT: BTW, .civ5mod files are just 7-zip files, so you can also unzip those manually if the game left a copy in your MODS folder. The naming of the folder doesn't matter; in fact, you can put them in subfolders and the game will still find it.

Jonarus_Drakus
Oct 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
Or curse it all!! I posted in the complete wrong thread! I was wanting to post in the original RED thread... I am really not having a good day (and its not even 8am :( ). Sorry about the mix-up, and what you suggested is exactly what I intend to try...

FYI: Nutty, your 'just ethnic diversity' mod-mod DL-ed fine, its the main RED mod itself that is the issue...

Thanks anyway,

~JD

Nutty
Oct 14, 2012, 07:34 PM
J.E.D. has been upgraded for R.E.D. v 20.

[to_xp]Gekko
Oct 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
thanx as usual :D

heinous_hat
Nov 01, 2012, 01:01 AM
Hi Nutty,

Thanks for continuing to unofficially update along with R.E.D. I do think I prefer to better see all the new artwork at the expense of the otherwise interesting R.E.D. formations.

Any known issue using this with the current version of City State Diplomacy? With CSD v34, the rescaling isn't happening. I tried enabling the code block in the compatibility file, but no dice. Double checked the activation order, cleared cache etc etc... Something may have changed (I haven't used CSD in a while) or I'm overlooking something obvious.

Still at R.E.D v20

edit: Started from a clean mod base and narrowed it down a bit. Basically:

R.E.D. + J.E.D. works
CSD + R.E.D. + J.E.D. works
CivUP + R.E.D. + J.E.D. works
CivUP + CSD + R.E.D. + J.E.D. breaks rescaling

hmm...

Nutty
Nov 01, 2012, 01:17 PM
How did I forget to upload J.E.D. v22? EDIT: Uploaded to Steam and the CFC Database.

Anyway, that's really weird. I don't see how something with the City State Diplomacy Mod would affect anything related to scale--EDIT: in fact, since I copied R.E.D.'s reference associations, J.E.D. specifically activates itself AFTER CSD, so that can't be it.

EDIT #2: Make sure you don't have multiple versions of the same mod. Odd as it is, even without the other being enabled, I've seen conflicts arise.

heinous_hat
Nov 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
Ah, thanks much for the update. I'll start clean again with that and latest RED.

My folder has only unique mods in it though. I install everything manually and delete all civ5mod packages. It couldn't be picking up 7z archives, could it?

Here's something else unusual I somehow missed earlier. Maybe it will give a clue as to what's going on technically...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=334847&d=1351802513

That's the new Celtic warrior mixed up with... I think, the new default euro warrior. R.E.D. alone with the other mods doesn't produce that. edit : Some other units show mixed varieties as well. It sort of looks like it's inserting extra guys and maintaining RED's formation and numbers

Nutty
Nov 02, 2012, 04:18 PM
Celtic warriors have had 2 models in R.E.D. since at least v20.

All the units should be fine in J.E.D. v22. Let me know if you see otherwise with your combination of mods.

heinous_hat
Nov 02, 2012, 10:28 PM
Celtic warriors have had 2 models in R.E.D. since at least v20.

All the units should be fine in J.E.D. v22. Let me know if you see otherwise with your combination of mods.

Ah, right you are ;) There are 3 models in the shot I posted though. Look at the blond club bearers in the middle of the pack... that's a completely different model. Also, the unit is too big (numerically) despite what I suggested earlier.

I'll try to post a comparison shot that illustrates better.

edit: attached some shots of Russian warriors...

R.E.D has 18 men in the unit. Adding JED, it goes to 12 and upscales properly. With the problematic arrangement of these two mods with City State Diplomacy and CivUP, I'm seeing 30 men per unit with 12 being the wrong model. There's also no upscaling.

Nutty
Nov 03, 2012, 12:12 AM
Sorry, I hadn't realized when the switch to talking about v22 occurred.

(Un)fortunately, I'm not seeing the same thing on my side running CivUP + CSD + R.E.D. + J.E.D. The scale and models are fine for me as far as the units you indicate.

EDIT: Does anyone else have a similar problem with that (or any other) configuration of mods?

heinous_hat
Nov 03, 2012, 12:54 AM
Thanks Nutty. I'll look into debugging this combo using the available tools, but I need to brush up a bit first.

It really isn't a huge deal, just an interesting technical glitch. It would seem something is being referenced out of sequence or perhaps re-referenced when it shouldn't.

To be clear, I should be enabling the code block in JEDCompatibility.sql, yes? Doing so doesn't solve the problem, but I wanted to be sure whether or not that was functional or just a leftover.

Nutty
Nov 03, 2012, 01:53 AM
Re JEDCompatiblity.sql: No, that code block comes from R.E.D. (where it's also disabled and unnecessary).

You're quite right that it seems that J.E.D. is being activated before R.E.D. despite the fact that the associations require it to be the opposite. If that's true, then the issue may be because both R.E.D. and J.E.D. use C.S.D. as a reference, and that's inexplicably invalidating the dependency relationship between them...

You could try deleting the line <Mod id="abaa043a-f851-4c61-bd18-52d480862cd0" minversion="0" maxversion="999" /> from the <References> section of J.E.D.'s .modinfo file.

heinous_hat
Nov 03, 2012, 02:57 AM
Tried that and got the same result.

The problem would seem to lie somewhere between CivUP and CSD when the database is constructed. J.E.D works as intended with either one, but not both.

Odd that it's just me though. I made one small edit to CivUP to include Alpaca's camera rotation in worldview.lua, but nothing else I can think of.

A.Aquila
Nov 22, 2012, 05:50 AM
Can the modders put up the list of units changed with the v.22 update? I'm pretty invested in The Maya in particular.

And is there a database or something that shows every unit model for each civ? Just curious. Might be arduous, but I'd compile something like that provided I'm bored enough.

edit: Whoop, nevermind. I guess everyone went to the RED Modpack topic.

janboruta
Dec 06, 2012, 12:32 AM
Hello! Any chance to update Just Ethnic Diversity to match v.23 of R.E.D? Some new units have too many men per unit (Dutch, Byzantines for example) :)

Nutty
Dec 07, 2012, 09:56 AM
Sorry for the delay; I've been very busy lately. I'll try to get it done this weekend.

Nutty
Dec 07, 2012, 06:11 PM
Just Ethnic Diversity for R.E.D. Modpack (v 23) has been (finally) updated (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19757).

cecilbturtle
Dec 07, 2012, 10:15 PM
Thanks man - great mod!

TheLohoped
Dec 09, 2012, 02:59 AM
Looks like Norwegian Ski Infantry still uses R.E.D. scaling.

Nutty
Dec 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
Oops. I'm not sure when I did it, but it looks like I accidentally fixed Firaxis' spelling error (the member define is supposed to be for SKY_INFANTRY). Re-uploaded here and to Steam.

Thanks for the heads-up!

cecilbturtle
Dec 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
Just noticed that the Mayan settler retains the RED scaling in the latest version.

Nutty
Dec 11, 2012, 08:50 PM
There are no custom settlers yet... could it have been a scout?

EDIT: That's odd. I took a look at the database, and all the scales all look OK to me.

cecilbturtle
Dec 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
There are no custom settlers yet... could it have been a scout?

EDIT: That's odd. I took a look at the database, and all the scales all look OK to me.

My bad then - it did certainly look like the Mayan settler was much smaller. Could just be that I rolled a bunch of kids for the opening graphic in my most recent game.

Nutty
Dec 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Kids? Are we even playing the same game?

The vanilla scale of the settlers (0.12) IS smaller than the scale for most of the other people (0.14).

TheLohoped
Dec 16, 2012, 12:23 AM
Chinese Infantry appears to be invisible. They are working fine in R.E.D., so there may be problem in J.E.D.

I also think there is some error with Indian Crossbowman because the unit consists of only 3 men.

Nutty
Dec 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks very much for the bug reports. Sorry I missed those!

They were both previously multi-fig units that had been changed to single-figure, and I must have been sloppy about examining the diffs between the versions where that was changed.

Hopefully I haven't missed any others. I'm uploading new versions to Steam and CFC...

TheLohoped
Jan 09, 2013, 05:38 AM
Hey Nutty, it's me again! :D

Just found another bug. For some reason French Cavalry uses the same model as French Lancer. This error is exclusive to JED.

I think it's better to keep this bug until the new version of R.E.D. with jet fighters and glorious WWI infantries arrives this WE.

Nutty
Feb 06, 2013, 09:59 PM
It took a lot longer for Gedemon to get out the new version of R.E.D. than expected, but J.E.D. v24 is released, and it does fix the French cavalry (that particular unit is not named in the standard way).

Thanks, TheLohoped. Hopefully I didn't introduce any new bugs. ;)

Stiflex
Aug 25, 2014, 05:10 AM
Hey, I've created a short mod showcase for this mod, it's a really awesome mod, sadly I couldn't fit many units into one natural episode, keep it up! Love the mod! :)

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7iV9sIDVw

Nutty
Aug 25, 2014, 03:34 PM
Sorry, Stiflex, this isn't the Ethnic Units (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=91830423) mod by BrutalSamurai22 (there isn't a CivFanatics thread for that one).

This was a mod that tried to fill in for R.E.D. Modpack while Gedemon, the author of that mod, went missing for a while (though perhaps I need to resurrect R.E.D. Unofficial since he again hasn't updated R.E.D. Modpack for a little while). But at the moment, this one, Ethnic Diversity, hasn't been updated for quite a long time.

R.E.D. Modpack is a similar mod to Ethnic Units (which is based on an earlier version of R.E.D. Modpack). Also, don't confuse it with R.E.D. WWII edition, a separate WWII scenario by Gedemon.

I still provide a modmod (Just Ethnic Diversity) that reverts Gedemon's scaling back to vanilla scale for those that prefer R.E.D. Modpack to Ethnic Units but don't like R.E.D. Modpack's scaling changes. I also have a Single Unit Graphics and Reduced Unit Graphics, i.e., 2 or 3 figures, that is compatible with R.E.D. Modpack.

Nutty
Oct 14, 2014, 03:39 PM
:bump:
Bumping this old thread to seek comment on the unofficial version of R.E.D. Modpack (http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23246).

Here are the list of changes from the Gedemon's official v.27:
reduced texture sizes and removed extraneous specular textures (reduces mod size from 200MB to 120MB)
embarked unit diversity using Wolfdog's conversion of GeneralMatt's War Junk, hangman's conversion of Chuggi's Andean Cargo Ship, and Nutty's versions of JustATourist's galleon reskins [Whaddaya guys think? Note the changes are era-based and ethnic-based.]
Venice and Milan city state now re-use Roman units starting in the Medieval era; other city states re-use units of related major civs [e.g., Monaco uses French units. I'm not entirely sure I like it in practice. Comments?]
new general suffix types for Eastern Europe (Russia, Poland, and city states with Slavic influence) and Central Asia (Huns, Ottomans, and city states with Turkic influence) [Comments?]
donkeys given to Ottoman, Hun, and Polynesian settlers instead of camels or oxen
add bernie14's longswordsmen for Portugal, Venice, and Vatican City city state
add Civitar & Nutty's Reislaufer [anachronistic] Swiss guard (pikeman) for city state Vatican City
add hangman's conversion of the Buddhist missionary for Asian civs [I could also/instead write some Lua to apply him to the civ who has chosen Buddhism.]
add Patum333's Netherlands archer (composite bowman)
add Snafusmith's P-40 Warhawk (fighter) for Brazil
add Snafusmith's Renault FT (WWI tank) for Brazil, central European city states, and additional members for France
add Wolfdog's conversion of Bakuel's Streltsy (musketmen) for Russia
add Wolfdog's conversion of bernie14's Napoleonic French infantry for French Cannon crew
add Wolfdog's conversion of bernie14's Sioux knight for Shoshone
add Wolfdog's conversion of dutchking's ML-20 Howitzer (artillery) for Russia
add Wolfdog's conversion of Gagonite's Arquebusier (musketman) for Austria, Poland, and central European city states
add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz's A129 Mangusta (helicopter gunship) for Rome (Italy)
add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz & Nikko's Ariete MBT (modern armor) for Rome (Italy)
add Wolfdog's conversion of KrugerPritz & Nikko's Dardo IFV (mechanized infantry) for Rome (Italy)
add Wolfdog's conversion of Refar's Astute class (nuclear submarine) for England
add Wolfdog's conversion of Snafusmith's Los Angeles class (nuclear submarine) for America
add Wolfdog's conversion of TheCoyote's Akula class (nuclear submarine) for Russia
add Wolfdog's conversion of Zever's Royal Marine commando for England
add zwei833's conversion of the Realism: Invictus musketman for Germany (HRE)
update bernie14's French and German cavalry
add ProtectedBigGun formation for the Indian Civ Pack
fix some specular textures to reduce excess "shininess" of some units

Ekmek
Oct 19, 2014, 01:40 AM
So what are the gaps in the ethnic mods? What units are missing?

Nutty
Oct 20, 2014, 12:03 AM
Only about a third of all the military units are currently covered, even counting where ethnic groups are sharing units. We have few or none of the following unit types:
INFANTRY: Marine, XCOM Squad
MOUNTED: Cavalry, Lancer
ANTI-INFANTRY: Bazooka, Gatling Gun, Machine Gun
ARTILLERY: Anti Aircraft Gun, Anti Tank Gun, Artillery, Cannon, Catapult, Mobile SAM, Rocket Artillery, Trebuchet
AIR: Atomic Bomb, Great War Bomber, Stealth Bomber
NAVAL: Caravel, Frigate, Galleas, Privateer, Ironclad, Missile Cruiser, Nuclear Submarine, Trireme
ARMORED: Giant Death Robot

There are only a few scouts, and there aren't many battleships and carriers. There are lots of gaps as to the BNW civs.

I'll try to update and put up the spreadsheet tomorrow.